How long have you been chasing the dream of being a kpop idol

Guest Charmingbestfriend96

Guest Charmingbestfriend96

...too long??
I have always dreamt of being a kpop idol since i was 12 and now im 15 so i wasted 3 years of constantly dreaming and taking singing + dancing lessons + learning korean (im partially fluent) and wasting alot of time and money just to have my parents say no to my chance of auditioning :( they let me audition before but now my grandparents, aunts and uncles yelled at my parents for being bad parents and letting me chase this foolish dream since im chinese and not korean....i was gonna audition for Sm weekly audition and now unless some miracle happens im stuck doing online auditions....and i dont live in california i live in stupid michigan and thers no auditions happening there

my grades have been dropping too because of this dream...my 9th grade gpa is 3.2 :(

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ShrimpCrackerrr

you should definitely not let your dream interfere with your schoolwork.. because there is always the chance that you will fail.. and if you have no good educational background to fall back on, then you're kind of screwed.

I have always dreamt of being a kpop idol since i was 12 and now im 15 so i wasted 3 years of constantly dreaming and taking singing + dancing lessons + learning korean (im partially fluent) and wasting alot of time and money just to have my parents say no to my chance of auditioning :( they let me audition before but now my grandparents, aunts and uncles yelled at my parents for being bad parents and letting me chase this foolish dream since im chinese and not korean....i was gonna audition for Sm weekly audition and now unless some miracle happens im stuck doing online auditions....and i dont live in california i live in stupid michigan and thers no auditions happening there

my grades have been dropping too because of this dream...my 9th grade gpa is 3.2 :(

I'm kinda having the same experience as you right now, except I'm 13 not 15 .__. and I just started dreaming about being a KPOP Star since the star of May 2011.

I hope a miracle happens for both of us. Never give up, keep practicing, don't let it interfere with your school work and make sure you're having fun :D

Guest appledapple

Ugh. Too bad your other relatives had to be meddlers...I'm sure everyone just has your best interests in mind at heart, though.

I wouldn't  say it's been "too long" yet since you're so young, but you need to get those grades up.  Back when I did the whole auditioning thing years ago some companies actually asked your GPA (not sure if they still do, but I would guess they still want people who seem "disciplined" and learn well). 

You can't audition without your parents.  If they're not going to be on board you need to keep training so you'll be really ready later since they're pickier when they audition people in their late teens and twenties. 

Please get your grades up because you're giving your parents an excuse to cut your lessons off.

Good luck

I'm just going to wait until I graduate from university, get my degree and audition. Hopefully I won't be too old

There's no such thing as being too old or too young.

If you're older the judge is just more pickier with you that's it.

Just make sure you practice as hard as you can and shine :D

Guest something-like

There's no such thing as being too old or too young.

If you're older the judge is just more pickier with you that's it.

Just make sure you practice as hard as you can and shine :D

actually there is such a thing as too old, if you're 20+, it's like 99% you won't make it past first round auditions. Because the trend with kpop is it's going younger, so immediately when judges look at the age on your profile, and if you're say mid 20's, "next." Factored in with looks of course, cause that's another trend too: notice how all the groups these days have such pretty faces?

im not proving you wrong or anything, im just telling you, don't misunderstand

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

@ RAIN: Yep Something-Like is correct. Their is a major age discrimination that seems to go unnoticed in the Kpop industry. The oldest an auditionee that got passed is usually 21-22 years old. Any older than that age bracket is considered as "over the hill" to even make it to the next round of auditions.

actually there is such a thing as too old, if you're 20+, it's like 99% you won't make it past first round auditions. Because the trend with kpop is it's going younger, so immediately when judges look at the age on your profile, and if you're say mid 20's, "next." Factored in with looks of course, cause that's another trend too: notice how all the groups these days have such pretty faces?

im not proving you wrong or anything, im just telling you, don't misunderstand

Yeah, I was about to type that in but I was like, "I'm too lazy :D" So I just typed in what they basically would do about your age, such as being more picky if you're older.

But that's true. I agree with you :D

@ RAIN: Yep Something-Like is correct. Their is a major age discrimination that seems to go unnoticed in the Kpop industry. The oldest an auditionee that got passed is usually 21-22 years old. Any older than that age bracket is considered as "over the hill" to even make it to the next round of auditions.

I see... yes, considering the fact that it would probably take you 2 - 5 years to train and if you're debuting around 25 - 26 you'll be considered too old and you wont make fans and if you wont make fans then you'll make no money if you make no money then you're screwed .__. 

Well...What if you audition at the age of 13 - 14 and you get accepted and you're mildly talented .__.

Guest MyNameIs_Luka

I see... yes, considering the fact that it would probably take you 2 - 5 years to train and if you're debuting around 25 - 26 you'll be considered too old and you wont make fans and if you wont make fans then you'll make no money if you make no money then you're screwed .__. 

Well...What if you audition at the age of 13 - 14 and you get accepted and you're mildly talented .__.

That's why they pick really young trainees. They picked BoA when she was only 8 yrs. old. But you know what I think even with loads of training you can't train someone to be naturally talented or charismatic. Their are alot of Kpop idols that I think don't deserve to be famous because their talent seems mediocre or their charisma is as dull as powder.

Take for BoA for example: She is a great technical dancer, decent singer and semi-pretty. But her personality is as exciting as a wet-blanket plus her charisma seems like dead fish to me. When she is on stage, it's not wow worthy. When she performs I only pay attention to how good she dances, but ask me what song she performed to and my mind will draw a blank. I pay more attention to her dance moves than on her singing and music..Does that make sense lol?

That's why they pick really young trainees. They picked BoA when she was only 8 yrs. old. But you know what I think even with loads of training you can't train someone to be naturally talented or charismatic. Their are alot of Kpop idols that I think don't deserve to be famous because their talent seems mediocre or their charisma is as dull as powder.

Take for BoA for example: She is a great technical dancer, decent singer and semi-pretty. But her personality is as exciting as a wet-blanket plus her charisma seems like dead fish to me. When she is on stage, it's not wow worthy. When she performs I only pay attention to how good she dances, but ask me what song she performed to and my mind will draw a blank. I pay more attention to her dance moves than on her singing and music..Does that make sense lol?

That...is so true. Well the bit about how some KPOP artist have low charisma and their attitude is not as exciting.

I reckon they should picture KPOP artist based more on their personality and their interest in this .__.

I agree with you :D 150% 

Nowadays K-wave is really popular , every korean entertainment keep debuting alot of group ! group! group ! to earn money ....

I concern about the age too , right now I am 18 , I think after I am 25 , I going to give up ......

Lol, try your best :D

Guest krystaliu

lmao, I have the same problem as the OP.

T ~ T

My parents haven't been necessarily "against" the idea, they just don't support it. :B It's not something that really pays until you debut (if you even do get popular... if you even debut), so they're sort of... like... "I'm not against you singing, but you can't make a living off of it." = u =

Considering I live in Illinois, unless they have global auditions in Chicago like they did... a few years ago(?), I highly doubt I'll ever get to audition. :| Just focus on schoolwork, for now. :P And keep practicing. (o` v `o)/ Fighting!

lmao, I have the same problem as the OP.

T ~ T

My parents haven't been necessarily "against" the idea, they just don't support it. :B It's not something that really pays until you debut (if you even do get popular... if you even debut), so they're sort of... like... "I'm not against you singing, but you can't make a living off of it." = u =

Considering I live in Illinois, unless they have global auditions in Chicago like they did... a few years ago(?), I highly doubt I'll ever get to audition. :| Just focus on schoolwork, for now. :P And keep practicing. (o` v `o)/ Fighting!

Yeah, you're lucky to even be in America! I'm stuck here in Australia and nothings really happening here...

Good luck with school work and it's always good to know that you can still practice! Don't get distracted by the auditioning and let it ruin your school work. My parents' say the same thing and I bet most to all of the parents would, it's very understandable as the parents don't want you to waste your precious time. 

You should try auditioning through email! Their email is: usaaudition@smtown.com

Good luck with the audition and don't hold back :D

Guest starzXshinee

@ Jenniilovesuju: I say AUDITION BEHIND EVERYONE'S BACK! I am not trying to support something bad :sweatingbullets: But you gotta do what you gotta do. Be grateful that your parents have been supporting you up until now. Get your grades up. And practice hard! If you cannot go to a live audition, just turn in a lot of online/ snail mail auditions. [resend if your improved]

My parents are opposite of yours. They never supported me, ever. They think that they would be bad parents if they let me sing and dance and become 'famous' for my career.

Before wanting to be in the Korean industry, I wanted to be in the Japanese industry for who knows how long. Parents only made fun of me and made random 'Asian' noises. Yes, how immature. =_= Although I still want to be in the Japanese industry, I have a motive to be in the Korean industry. And that is when things got worst.

I am lucky that I live in LA with a sister and friends that supports me. I auditioned for JYP and SM behind my parents' back, did online auditions, and even now I practice behind their backs. Since it is summer I have a lot of time. I got to my school at 8am, dance until 12, learn Korean from 1-3, sing from 3-5, then play Dance Central and some singing games. The last two are things to have fun, help my practice, and let me parents think I am just playing games because I am bored.

Sorry for the long story, but my main message is, do not let anyone get in your way. If you really want this, just keep on persevering. This sounds cheesy but your fate is in your hands, not your family. . . but it is also in the judges' hands so practice hard! :lol:

I do not recommend this but this is what my sister and I do since she wants to be a famous make-up artist but my parents do not support her either. >.>

We just act like we are in my parents' control. We do and act the way they want us to. We are waiting for that day when she gets a good make-up gig and I pass an audition so we can finally prove to my parents that we are good enough. And hopefully, just maybe , they will finally support us.

Guest appledapple

If you really want this, just keep on persevering. This sounds cheesy but your fate is in your hands, not your family. . . but it is also in the judges' hands so practice hard!  :lol:

I do not recommend this but this is what my sister and I do since she wants to be a famous make-up artist but my parents do not support her either. >.>

We just act like we are in my parents' control. We do and act the way they want us to. We are waiting for that day when she gets a good make-up gig and I pass an audition so we can finally prove to my parents that we are good enough. And hopefully, just maybe , they will finally support us.

Not to sound like too much of a downer but it is definitely in your parents hands while you're a minor.

I doubt it's that they don't think you're good enough, they just don't like the entertainment industry as opposed to "a real job".

That said, good luck, but if you waste some company's time because your parents won't and were never going to "play ball" they may never want to bother with you later.

Guest KRNnxt2U

I had the same problem.

At first, they were against it because the chance of anyone debuting (DEBUT! NOT becoming a trainee) as a kpop idol is <.01% (this statistic was in the korean news). I thought that if i proved to them that i had a chance, they would see my potential and support me... but alas, that did not work.

I thought the fact that i had passed a couple of the auditions would gain the support of my parents and show them I could really become a singer.

It turns out, they believed I had the potential and chance all along. They thought that if i really worked hard and focused just on singing and dancing, I could become a trainee and debut.

The actual reason why they don't want me to go into the Korean entertainment industry is because it is a brutal, cruel environtment.

My parents are korean and they often look at korean news and read netizen posts: Korean ppl can be VERY MEAN. Netizens criticize every minute detail and imperfection of stars. They try to bring them down and hate to see other people being successful (this is not everyone of course, just a great majority)

Sadly, Korea's education system is rooted in competition and that unfortunately effects ppl's every day lives. EVERYTHING is a competition to bring another person down. That is why Korean netizens can be so cruel and hold so much power over a celebrity's career.

for example: i LOVE the singer Kim Bum Soo, but he never appeared on TV much before "I am a singer". None of his albums ever had pictures of him and i only ever heard his singing voice (which im not complaining about...) This is because Korean netizens bashed on him so much about his appearance that he was afraid to show his face. His popularity would go down if he ever sang live because Korean ppl can be very shallow. He endured a lot of suffering and went through a lot of emotional grief because of it. Even when he first came on "i am a singer", i remember him asking viewers "please don't look at my face, please just listen to my voice" because he was scared and had no self confidence. If a singer as great an Kim Bum Soo has to go through something like that, I wonder what I would have to go through if i ever made it...

As ppl can see from kpop news sources, suicide rates in celebrities are increasing: many ppl can't handle the stress, anxiety, sadness and low confidence that comes with being a celebrity. (Of course, you can also percieve that the happiness from doing what you love outweighs watever might impede you. )

I love my parents, and I know they love me. They understand how I feel, and I understand how they feel, but that will never stifle my dreams of becoming a singer. Because we've reached this understanding, my parents and i usually don't talk about my dreams of becoming a singer, but now, watever chance comes up (auditions, etc), they let me take it, (as long as my grades are okay and i work hard in school.)

They told me, if i can balance my dreams with school and another possible career, they'll let me do whatever i want. Their condition is though, that if i do pass, i have to graduate college first, just incase it doesn't work out.

I know a lot of ppl are frustrated with their parents, but they really do love u, and mean the best for you. I'm not trying to crush or dampen anyone's dreams, I'm just saying that this is what your parents may see. try to understand. Korean industry is brutal, and its natural instict to want to protect ur kids.

sorry for the long rant haha

I had the same problem.

At first, they were against it because the chance of anyone debuting (DEBUT! NOT becoming a trainee) as a kpop idol is <.01% (this statistic was in the korean news). I thought that if i proved to them that i had a chance, they would see my potential and support me... but alas, that did not work.

I thought the fact that i had passed a couple of the auditions would gain the support of my parents and show them I could really become a singer.

It turns out, they believed I had the potential and chance all along. They thought that if i really worked hard and focused just on singing and dancing, I could become a trainee and debut.

The actual reason why they don't want me to go into the Korean entertainment industry is because it is a brutal, cruel environtment.

My parents are korean and they often look at korean news and read netizen posts: Korean ppl can be VERY MEAN. Netizens criticize every minute detail and imperfection of stars. They try to bring them down and hate to see other people being successful (this is not everyone of course, just a great majority)

Sadly, Korea's education system is rooted in competition and that unfortunately effects ppl's every day lives. EVERYTHING is a competition to bring another person down. That is why Korean netizens can be so cruel and hold so much power over a celebrity's career.

for example: i LOVE the singer Kim Bum Soo, but he never appeared on TV much before "I am a singer". None of his albums ever had pictures of him and i only ever heard his singing voice (which im not complaining about...) This is because Korean netizens bashed on him so much about his appearance that he was afraid to show his face. His popularity would go down if he ever sang live because Korean ppl can be very shallow. He endured a lot of suffering and went through a lot of emotional grief because of it. Even when he first came on "i am a singer", i remember him asking viewers "please don't look at my face, please just listen to my voice" because he was scared and had no self confidence. If a singer as great an Kim Bum Soo has to go through something like that, I wonder what I would have to go through if i ever made it...

As ppl can see from kpop news sources, suicide rates in celebrities are increasing: many ppl can't handle the stress, anxiety, sadness and low confidence that comes with being a celebrity. (Of course, you can also percieve that the happiness from doing what you love outweighs watever might impede you. )

I love my parents, and I know they love me. They understand how I feel, and I understand how they feel, but that will never stifle my dreams of becoming a singer. Because we've reached this understanding, my parents and i usually don't talk about my dreams of becoming a singer, but now, watever chance comes up (auditions, etc), they let me take it, (as long as my grades are okay and i work hard in school.)

They told me, if i can balance my dreams with school and another possible career, they'll let me do whatever i want. Their condition is though, that if i do pass, i have to graduate college first, just incase it doesn't work out.

I know a lot of ppl are frustrated with their parents, but they really do love u, and mean the best for you. I'm not trying to crush or dampen anyone's dreams, I'm just saying that this is what your parents may see. try to understand. Korean industry is brutal, and its natural instict to want to protect ur kids.

sorry for the long rant haha

Lol, long but interesting rant. I know that most of us has encountered the same problem. I know it's not my place to say this but, it's actually up to your parents choice if you can live this dream or not, I know you might then ask the question, "So you've given up?" And my answer to that is no. Your parents' will actually make the choice if you get to join any companies trainee system or not, because if they take you in without your parents permission the company can get sued for "stealing" you. 

So if you want this really badly, then you'll have to talk it out with your parents, and when I say talk I don't mean you go on a mental breakdown and argue with your parents, that's not how you do it. You have to get your parents' on your side before you audition. 

OR! You can audition online and if you've received a call-back then you can show it to your parents to prove that you're capable.

Archived