[Jdrama/dorama 2011] Ouran High School Host Club 桜蘭高校ホスト部

Guest linhx3

Guest cerys

yeah...I don't want to give this drama a try because I don't like the choice for Tamaki. Honey senpai looks old too. :/

But I'll give it a chance I guess...

Yeh, give it a go anyway. Even though Yamamoto Yusuke, the actor for Tamaki may not exactly look the part, I think he plays the part well.

====================================

I was disappointed with the casting when I first heard about this live action, but I was actually surprised at how quirky and decently executed this drama is. The comic elements are pulled off really well and although some bits might look stupid, I think it nonetheless turns the otherwise manga restricted elements into something quirky for the drama - for me, it feels like I am watching a comic come to life.

I also feel the actors are great in their roles, they really capture the personalities of the characters. My favourite depictions are Haruhi and Kyoya. So people here think Honey in this adaption is "awkward" or "weird" - fair enough. Personally though, I don't think he is too weird (or awkward), at least not compared to usual... Speaking about the character itself, if people acted like that in the real-world it would be bizarre.

I must say, I was also disappointed at first that Honey and Tamaki weren't blond (though Tamaki's hair is brassy). But after thinking about it for a while - that wouldn't really work in real life would it? It would look too fake and out-of-place (just my opinion though). As the setting is (fictional) Japan, it would still make sense to reconcile the Ouran cartoon to what would work in something live-action. Yes, Tamaki is half French and half Japanese, and aren't we all disappointed they didn't cast a Eurasian or someone that could pass for one or was at least more handsome ):! Oh well. Another one of the few things that bugs me, is Honey's "transformation sequence" into a deformed/chibi version of himself when he jumps on Haruhi (or bunny kicks someone). Now that's weird lol. But I guess they've had to accommodate things, because a grown (or almost) man, jumping and hugging himself around Haruhi wouldn't look very nice on screen (whilst in the manga/anime Honey is short (y'know, perhaps he would be a midget in real life because he is tiny)) >> But - I do think Honey's actor is incredibly adorable. How can a grown man be that cute?

Of course you can't expect every element from the manga or anime will be found in the drama version (taking into consideration that certain things work better on cartoons than with real people etc). Overall, I quite enjoyed the first two episodes released thus far.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest relly

Hi Everyone,

Ouran High School Host Club Episode English Soft-Sub Subtitle is out.

ouran.jpg

Ouran High School Host Club 1-2 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

This is a new project for the DSS CTS Team.

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2324-ouran-high-school-host-club-2011/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

Guest relly

The DSS CTS Team is officially entering hiatus until 8 August 2011.

There will be no new releases during this period.

Please understand that we are tired and in disperate need for a break.

darksmurforange6.png

The DSS site will be up and running as usual, so if you guys wish to work on the existing releases or download them you can do so without and worry:

http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/

Thank you for understanding! See you all on 8 August:)

[DSS Staff Team] [Relly - DSS PR Administrator]

Guest ZoidbergMD

contrary to what other may have thought after watching one cast interview I was sure they nailed the casting. Even awkward hunny sempai works for the show I just sort of cringe and look away when he has cute scenes but it still works (I'm just not up for the sugary sweet in real life lol)

I think they really got everyone right though, the appearances match well and even though it's not exact I don't think anyone should have any really high expectations for live action drama adaptions of manga/anime because come on reality has actual limits as to what we can do.

I love it so far though, it's just as farfetched (if not more) and enjoyable as the anime adaption was for me. Don't go in expecting a masterpiece and try to dissect every little piece of it just watch it and grin like and idiot the entire time cause of how stupidly funny it can get :P

So far I think they're doing the anime justice.

Guest Megumi

The casting is done quite well. I'm not really sure about Honey-sempai, but the rest seems to be quite accurate. The whole twincest thing going on in OHSHC anime/manga was less awkward now they're putting it into reality :P

So I watched a couple of episodes and I thought they were pretty funny... especially the way the actor for Tamaki overacts, I couldn't help but laugh. Kawaguchi Haruna (Haruhi) is adorable. She kind of reminds me of Sooyoung from SNSD. I also like the casting for Kyouya. The Hunny senpai scenes where they minimize him are super awkward. He's cute, but I'm not used to seeing that kind of thing lolol. I'm going to watch this if/when I'm really really bored.

Hi Everyone,

Ouran High School Host Club Episode 3 English Soft-Sub Subtitle is out.

ouran.jpg

Ouran High School Host Club 1-3 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurfsub.com/forum/index.php?/topic/2324-ouran-high-school-host-club-2011/

Please visit the link for more information about the Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project. CTS Project is about FANS helping FANS for FAST SUBTITLE RELEASE! Enjoy!

------------------------------

DSS is back:)

Has anyone seen ep 5?! I didn't watch it yet, but there were a lot of gifs on Tumblr. x)

Daito Shunsuke is really hot and he portrays Kyouya well imo.. apparently that scene is "creepy" though. LOL. I guess I'll have to see later. At first I was iffy about the show, but I think it gets better with each episode. :)

Guest Trine29

Has anyone found the torrent for episode five? I checked all the usual English sites and I can't find it anywhere, but @ DarkSmurfSubs they've finished ep 5 subs...

Guest ms.KPOP.LOVE

Hi Everyone,

Ouran High School Host Club Episode 4-6 English Soft-Sub Subtitle are out.

ouran.jpg

Ouran High School Host Club 1-6 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurf...host-club-2011/

Guest ms.KPOP.LOVE

Hi Everyone,

Ouran High School Host Club Episode 7 English Soft-Sub Subtitle is out.

ouran.jpg

Ouran High School Host Club 1-7 English Subtitle can be found Community Translated Subtitle (CTS) Project:-

URL: http://www.darksmurf...host-club-2011/

Archived