What to order at a Korean Resturant

Guest ManhattenSkyline

Guest ManhattenSkyline

I've only had bibampbap, gyagyamung and a few assorted baan-chan. I'm ready to try something new, what would you soompiers recommend?

Thanks! :w00t:

Guest JAExiLL

American people always love bulgogi and galbi. If you like spicy food, you can try the daejibulgogi which is just spicy barbecued pork. If you like squid you can try ojingoh bokkum.

These days most people either get jjajjangmyun or jjambbong when they go to a "chinese" restaurant, so if you already tried jjajjangmyun you can try jjambbong next time.

If you like raw fish, haedeopbab is good. It's like bbibbimbab but with fish.

If you go to a barbecue place with a bunch of people then most people get Samgyupsal, which is pork bellies. Generally you eat it with lettuce and maybe rice, different banchans and stuff. Most places this will come with daenjangjjigae which is like a bean stew/soup not sure what the difference is between those in English, it's supposed to be a little bit spicy. Daejigalbi is good, which is pork rib.

It is a pretty vague question though. Are you going to a barbecue with a bunch of people for dinner, or are you trying dishes by yourself for lunch or something?

Guest AngelAngel

I always like bbq, I mean who doesn't like bbq, so you can always go with that.

If you like soups, my favorite is sam gae tang, or chicken with ginseng. Some healthy and delicious, it's really complex and have a lot of flavors but more subtle. A whole chicken stuffed with ginseng, date, some kinda nut, and rice stewed in a broth until cooked.

Budae chigae is like my new favorite dish. A spicy kimchi stew in a big hotpot with assorted cheap meats, like spam and hot dogs along with tofu and and ramen plus each restaurant might add different stuff too like cheese (I prefer it without that though, it's processed cheese ew) or rice cake.

Pa jeon is green onion pancake, usually with some seafood. I prefer the kim chi because I like kim chi.

If you ever see Ge Jang (quite nonexistant in Toronto don't if it's true for all cities not in Korea) it's raw marinate crab, apparently they just take a crab, put it in a soy sauce mixture and let it drown in it. Sounds kinda cruel...but the result is really tasty. The salt in the soy sauce really brings out the crab flavor and you can taste the sweetness in the crab as well and I love the raw texture.

Guest Yinan

if you like spicy, my favorite is soondubu jigae. which means spicy seafood and tofu soup. Tastes great with rice and some side dishes.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest nameeka297

usually, i would recommend my friends to try kimchi fried rice first because not everyone can eat kimchi=P

personal choice would be ->>

kimchi jjigae-so delicious, for me it is not too spicy, just fine! whether you have it with ramyun or rice, it still tastes good=DD

tteobokki- my aunt loves this and she hardly eat new types of food=P

of course, the Bulgogi- they know how to marinate the meat. really. you should try it!! so good=D

Guest PieSauruS

Oh man...so many dishes...that are sooo good

DONKATSU(japanese roots BUT w/e i love donkatsu hehe...oh sorry forgot to explain what it was: Fried breaded pork cutlet acommpanied by sweet sauce @____@ korean version usually top the sauce on the pork :D)

Kalbi(always room for quality meet)

Jajangmyun(chinese roots but it's delicious)

Bulgogi or daeji bulgogi (Marinated bbq beef or Spicy beef >:D)

Yachaejeon(veggie korean pancake thingy lol)

Kimchijeon(if you like the veggie korean pancake and you like kimchi try this...it's a whole new taste ;D)

Bibimbap(You already tried it lol no need to explain)

Hoedeopbap or Hwedeobap (Is Raw Fish + Bibimbap + RECOMMEND HOT SAUCE...I love this dish....but if you don't like korean raw fish...stay clear)

Bokumbap(Korean fried rice)

Kimchibokumbap(I choose this over regular Bokumbap...more flavor ;D)

Mandu(I prefer the fried dumpling...their dumplings if you didn't understand)

Dukboki(Korean rice cake in VERY spicy sauce lol)

Kimchijigae(This you may not like...but my family is very fond of this kimchi brew...if you do order it you need to eat it rice...stew is very salty ;D)

Sulungtang(korean bone stew...T____T my childhood is coming back..I prefer with lots and lots of salt...*sigh*..my dad used to always scream at me---sorry haha...oh and same story here...eat it with rice)

Udon(Well...this is japanese...but I recommend ;D...esentially noodle with amazing flavor..can't explain D:)

Naengmyun(cold noodle...recommend on hot days...well I'm not sure if you would enjoy Naengmyun judging how some of my non-korean friends did not like it...D:)

For desert I recommend:

Patbingsu(hmm red bean + milk + yogurt + ice cream + w/e you want lol)

Boba (hahahah)

Matang (SOOO GOOOD...sweet candied crunchy potatoes)

Hoddeok    (ehh...not really dessert imo...but it's all I can think of for desert atm)

Sikhye(Sweet rice drink...sooo sweet soo good @____@)

Guest BubblyWatermelon09

ddeokbokki_08.jpg Ddeokkbokki

kimbap-400x266.jpg Kimbap

bibimpopp.jpg Bibimbap

bulgogi1.gif Bulgogi (Korean BBQ)

Ok...That's what you should order in a Korean restaurant!Btw,all these foods are my FAVORITE!^__^

Guest monkeyshinobi

Soondubu <3 <3 <3 (it's a tofu stew, sooo good)

K-BBQ also~ <3 They have the best meat XD

umm if you are feeling a little on the daredevil side try the raw beef and usually you can crack a raw egg into it and mix it with pears i think...lol sounds weird but it's good.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest hamdainvincible

My family is Vietnamese but every time we go we always stick to kalbi (cause it's similar to Vietnamese ribs), bulgogi, and the seafood/tofu kimchi-jiggae (I'm sure there's a name but I don't remember). My sister and I usually get kimbap and ddukbokki as snack foods when we're out with our friends and their parents always make us patbingsoo at home - you should really try rabokki (which is just ddukbokki with ramyun) if you can handle spicy. My family didn't enjoy the Korean pancakes or naengmyun much mostly because they were a little different from foods we usually eat (cold noodles? :blink:). I'd personally like to try jajangmyun, bibimbap, and pajeon.

Guest ubjustin

dak galbi (닭갈비)

35m350m0.jpg

it's a stir-fry dish prepared on the table-side griddle.  It's got sweet and spicy marinated chicken, sweet potatoes, carrots, cabbage, and you can add on other ingredients like rice cakes, noodles, and even mozzarella cheese.  Then at the end, you make fried rice with the left over bits of chicken right on the griddle.  Really, really, really, good.  tongue.gif

201002111431062203.jpg

this is the fried rice you eat at the end *drool*

Guest OhNoel09

jajamung (black bean noodles), tang-su-yhuk (deep fried meat/pork/chicken with clear sauce), jang po-ng (spicy seafood noodle soup)

Guest kitty_N

Kalbi and Samkyupsal are my favorite meats.

I love to eat Kalgooksu and throw a lot of kimchi in it for more flavor. Sulungtang is great for those days where I want something that tastes fresh with not too much flavors. Kimchi tol sot bap is another of my favorites if the restaurant serves it. Basically I love anything that has an abundance of kimchi. Also bibimnengmyun is delicious!

Guest dorkafied!

Bulgogi and spicy rice cake! Those are my favourites so far, I tried black bean noodles and I didn't like them that much :/

Guest MsChaofan

Ahhhh~! You guys are making me hungry! 

I hope I can convince my mother to take me to one, since she hates everything that's not Chinese. tongue2.gif

Guest GDZY.cookielove

i always order jang jang mein+ bulgolgi set lol. jang jang mein is black bean noodles. theres also jang jang bap (rice).

Archived