retainer after braces

Guest DJbeastboy

Guest DJbeastboy

the waiting period...the AGONY!!
I recently got my braces off and now my retainer not going to come for 2weeks

in these past couple days, it seem that my teeth are slowly geting out of alignment and im freaking out

all my hard work waiting for years for the day my teeth become straight and beautiful - which it has, now its slowly gettin out of place; its killin me!!

~ Anyone share this same issue?

1) How long did you have to wait for your retainer?

2) Did your teeth get out of place?

3) Did the retainer fix it?

4) Are you happy of the outcome?

Guest akira53

I think I waited about a week for mine.  I didn't notice my teeth getting out of place, yes the retainer fixes it, and yes I'm happy with the outcome.

- About the same as you, but it was for the metal ones, in that wait period, I was given the clear ones to wear

- Slightly, not a whole lot

- the metal retainer fixed what the clear one had done. the clear one was just to use for the time being so it didn't absolutely fit, there was a little discomfort, but the metal one was molded for me (ie: each person is different), so the metal one fixed it according to what my teeth were suppose to look like

- yes, though the retainer part was excruciating. when i had it in i had a horrible lisp that my friend didn't even recognize me over the phone and i tried not to talk so much at school. also the price wasn't something i was satisfied about lol

Guest DJbeastboy

- About the same as you, but it was for the metal ones, in that wait period, I was given the clear ones to wear

- Slightly, not a whole lot

- the metal retainer fixed what the clear one had done. the clear one was just to use for the time being so it didn't absolutely fit, there was a little discomfort, but the metal one was molded for me (ie: each person is different), so the metal one fixed it according to what my teeth were suppose to look like

- yes, though the retainer part was excruciating. when i had it in i had a horrible lisp that my friend didn't even recognize me over the phone and i tried not to talk so much at school. also the price wasn't something i was satisfied about lol

I thought you could just wear retainer at night time instead of all day =\

Guest sandypookie

I got my retainer on the day they took my braces off. lol. I didn't know you had to wait for your retainer?

None

Nope

Yes

Yes

Guest Sensitive_soul

Didn't have to wait. Got it on the same day. Seems odd you have to wait for 2 weeks.

Nope

Yes

Yes

Tips: At the begnning, you actually have to wear your retainer all the time (except for when you eat). Your dentist should tell you when you're ready to wear it only during night time. You should always wear your retainers during night time. I stopped wearing them after a year as suggested by my dentist and over the years, I realized my teeth have shifted back slightly. A lot of people I know have the same problem.

For the lisp, just practice by reading aloud haha

Guest nauticalblue

I had braces twice. The first time, I had to wait for about a week after they were off. The second time, I got my retainers three days later.

I know someone who got their retainer the day they got it off (I have no idea how they do that) and I also knew someone who got it about a month after they had their braces off, and they were fine as well. I don't think you should worry too much about 2 weeks.

No.

The retainer just held the position of my teeth.

Yup.

I have the clear invisalign-style retainers, so I still have a lisp even after having my retainers for a while. Back when I had retainers the first time, I had the regular metal ones, and I got over my lisp after only two days of wearing it. Your lisp should probably go away quickly, especially if you wear your retainers all day and have to communicate with other people. You're supposed to wear your retainers all day for a while until your orthodontists specifies when it's okay to wear it only at night. That's in most cases, at least. For me, I was never told to wear it during the day, but my teeth aren't particularly prone to shifting that much.

Guest duh123

i didn't know you had to wait to get your retainer. my dentist waited until the retainer was in to take my braces off. i didn't have any shifting until months later and no, my retainer didn't fix the shifting but it prevents any more shifting. you really do have to wear it.

Guest nauticalblue

Just a question out of curiosity, but for those of you who got your retainers the very day you got your braces off... how? My orthodontist couldn't get a mold impression of my teeth until after my braces were off, and after that, they needed make a model from the mold, and from the model they needed to make the retainer. If you still have your braces on, how can they make a retainer ahead of time that will fit your teeth exactly?

Guest c.to_

^ @ xstrawberryx: They took a mold directly after i got my braces off. And they do the whole process after that.

Two Weeks??!?! holy moly, that ridiculous for waiting for a retainer, especially after getting your braces off.

I got them the same day, around 3-4 hours later. When I put it on that day, it was already quite tight ( Which is why I'm so outraged that they take so long to make you one. )

yes slightly! When i got my retainer it was quite tight. Similarly, when i don't wear my retainer for a few days and then put them back on i get the same feeling. I would say it's similar to the feeling of getting your braces tightened a lot. HOWEVER, the feeling only lasts for say.. 5-10 minutes, and then your teeth adjust and you don't feel them

Yup

Yup. ALWAYS WEAR YOUR RETAINER! ( when you're suppose to LOL)

Also, when you go in to pick them up, they'll make you try them on the spot ( to make sure they fit). If they don't fit, they'll bring you in and readjust the retainer slightly so that they fit better.

Guest sunnicherri

I think on the same day. The mold was done while I had braces on? I don't remember, I remember choking lol.

A little bit. But nothing drastic.

Kind of. But I got my retainer a lot of years ago so my teeth are a little out of place

Yup! It's worth it to wear every single day! 

Guest linhx3

I use to wear something similar to a retainer and I have some advice about the lisp when you wear it all day. It depends on the person, but you will get use to it. At first people might say you talk weird, but you get better day by day. Practice by reading out loud a lot. It took me a couple of weeks to adjust, oh by the way you won't be able to say 'six seconds' at all while wearing it.

Guest sunny_dance

If it's freaking you out that much, then I highly suggest you talk to your ortho about your concerns.

Molded after braces were removed, recieved retainers the same day. Bonded retainer on the bottom and a removable retainer on top. Wore the removable uppers 16 hours per day the first month, and then 8 hours every night thereafter.

Front teeth does move a tiny bit during the day but wearing the upper at night always fixes the problem.

I know it's being fixed because it feels a little tight and hurts sometimes when I put the upper on.

Heck yeah, no seconds for me after 4 years and $5K spent on braces!! Always remember, retainers are for life.

I was suppose to wear mine day & night for a month, and then afterward only at night for a year or so. But sadly after a month I gave up on it cause it bother the heck out of me and just completely stop wearing it. And surprisingly my teeth stayed in place~

Hmm about a week or so I believe, sadly it wasn't the clear one =_= which stinks~

No my teeth didn't get out of place, thank god~!

Personally I feel that my retainer didn't really help THAT much O_o but that's just me

Yeah~! after all the money that my dad spent on my teeth they better come out nice, or else LOL

Guest prisonerzero

I thought you could just wear retainer at night time instead of all day =\

Again, it depends.

I had to wear mine all day and all night except for when eating and brushing my teeth when I first got my retainers. Then I moved on to just night time (well, I chose day because I hate waking up with them in my mouth) a year or so later.

Guest treeshaa

A week!

A little, it wasn't very noticeable though.

Yes! I had to go back for about a year every couple of months to get my retainers tweaked a little so that it would realign my teeth.

Mhm!

1 hour - no joke. The ortho made a mold of my teeth, told me to come back in an hour....and it's done

nope

n/a

I'm scared that the retainer won't last for the duration that I'm supposed to have it for...

Guest MsChaofan

1. About a week

2. A little.

3. Yes.

4. Yes.

The first time you wear it, you're gonna have to wear it all the time. After consulting with your orthodontic, he'll tell you whether you're ready to only wear it at night time. You'll gradually start wearing it less and less, until you don't need it any more. Then (at least I did) you get a metal wire on the bottom or the top behind your teeth (depending whether or not you have an over/underbite). That'll stay forever. 

Remember to clean your retainer, I used to have to clear ones. After a while it started to get this hard white stuff on it. It looked really gross and smelled really bad. 

Guest Eun_neptune_Him

Before I got them taken off they actually took a mold sample and had them ready the day I got my braces taken off.

I got my braces taken out 4 years ago. I still wear a retainer. Mostly because I stress out and grind my teeth. If i skip a day or two and put it on again it feels like my teeth shifted a little bit, but it stops hurting after a while.

My teeth are still straight as ever. I'm thinking of wearing them for a couple of years cause I waited 3 years to get them off and I don't wanna go back.

I get complemented all the time about my smile. So I'm happy about it.

Archived