Stars Who Speak English Very Well

Guest jayelae

Guest Rxgoodleaf

celebs who speak english well because they are korean american:

Brian Joo (fly to the sky),

Tae bin: his korean wasnt real good when he was first starting in 1 tym

The two girls from AsOne

Micky from dbsk: im not sure if he was born in the u.s. or not but i know he grew up there

Han Chae young: her american name is Rachel and she was actually going to attend a university in Chicago as a business major but she went to korea as a vacation and she was discovered by a well known korean comedian.

Tim: He is from Philidelphia and i believe he had some trouble learning korean when he was starting off too. Graduated from Temple University and was going to be a pharmacist.

Korean celebs who immigrated to U.S. or english speaking country when they were young:

Jung Ryu Won: She grew up in Australia and according to Daniel Henney, she has a very strong australian accent when she speaks English with him

Lee Dah Hae: She grew up in Australia as well

Eric Mun : immigrated to cali when he was young

Andy Lee: also from cali

Kim min (the mean girl from love story in harvard): She immigrated to cali when she was in third grade and had to relearn korean when she went to korea to persue acting.

Kim Sun ha: She is actually a second generation Japanese korean (Korean born and raised in Japan) but she went Ball State University as a piano major so she is fluent in both japanese and korean.

Teddy: From cali

Tony Ahn: From Cali

Tablo: went to a prestigious boarding school in canada (he was friends with Nicholas Tse in middle school before they were both expelled) and then attended foreighn highschool in Seoul Korea before getting B.A. and M.A. at Stanford U.

Korean Celebs who studied abroad or majored in English:

Lee Byung hun: his major was French so he speaks french as well as english

Lee Suh jin: went to NYU

Cha In Pyo

Sung Shi Gyung

Kim Ji woo

Her english is good because she grew up in Guam

Thanks for the info!

Some of the ones you've mentioned I didn't know were from the States...

Since I am a Korean-American, here is my two cents... ;)

Of the ones I've heard speak English, Kim Min spoke almost without accent...

Someone mentioned that Eric spoke strange or weird English? :blink:

In his defence, he speaks English like native Californian...

Of the ones who did not live abroad or studied abroad, Lee Byung Hun speaks English pretty well...

Actually, he surprised me in All In when he spoke English!

Anyhow as in tuned as I am with ppl with accent (living in CA), I cringe every time Korean actors and actresses "butcher" English!

Not that I think less of them or anything...

It's just that I wish they put some effort into learning to pronounce English correctly because these dramas are watched all over the world... now more than ever!

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi, I'm a chinese indonesian who stayed in Singapore

I think Kim min who acted in "Love story in Harvard" speaks English with the best accent!

and both the lead actor in love story in harvard, I don't really understand what they are talking about at times.

Ryo won in MNIKSS speaks good engish too, but at times a bit too slang and unclear.

Eugene's english is good too.

and now I really wish to hear Kim soon ah speaks in English. I was so sad to know that she actually hide her ability in speaking English because of KSS character, though this is a bit out of topic but wish to see her in a brand new drama, maybe after she has slimmed down (or even no) with the character that speaks English!!!

Guest biteme_lestat

I love hearing TaeBin speak in English...his diction is perfect :) Yoong Jung Hoon of Sad Sonata speaks English well too...I was expecting Andy to speak english well, but his pronounciation kinda sounds different...unlike Eric's...

Oh, yeah, Micky Park of DBSK is from Virginia, USA :)

lee hyun woo speaks good english.. i heard him read english poetry in S diaryand he's got good enunciation.. he's also korean american.. :D

Guest .Cherry.

OH MY GOSH, when i was watching Nonstop 5 and Tablo had to do that english episode with Hyo Ju (i think that's her name)...i couldn't believe that that was him!! My goodness, he doesn't even have an accent or at least i don't even hear it!! It's like he's from america! Now that's a person who speaks good english. *woot for Tablo*

Guest christina

OH MY GOSH, when i was watching Nonstop 5 and Tablo had to do that english episode with Hyo Ju (i think that's her name)...i couldn't believe that that was him!! My goodness, he doesn't even have an accent or at least i don't even hear it!! It's like he's from america! Now that's a person who speaks good english. *woot for Tablo*

He is from America, or at least sorta. He spend his junior high years in canada and then got his B.A. and M.A. from Stanford U. as an English major.

Jung Ryu Won: She grew up in Australia and according to Daniel Henney, she has a very strong australian accent when she speaks English with him

Heard her speak quite a bit of English in MNIKSS, but I didn't feel that it was THAT fluent. Must have been the Australian influence.

Kim Sun ha: She is actually a second generation Japanese korean (Korean born and raised in Japan) but she went Ball State University as a piano major so she is fluent in both japanese and korean.

Is this KSA from MNIKSS? If it is....then whoa, talented woman. Piano major too? *remembers piano scenes from drama*

Tablo: went to a prestigious boarding school in canada (he was friends with Nicholas Tse in middle school before they were both expelled) and then attended foreighn highschool in Seoul Korea before getting B.A. and M.A. at Stanford U.

The part with Nic Tse and the expulsion cracked me up.....but wow, getting a BA and MA at Stanford.....skills.

Hmmm....that girl from MNIKSS, the girl who was on the plane with Ryu Won's Hee Jin character....I thought she spoke very good English. Forgive my crappy memory, but was she Sam Soon's unnie?

Thanks for the info!

Someone mentioned that Eric spoke strange or weird English? :blink:

In his defence, he speaks English like native Californian...

you mean a californian fob accent or californian english american accent... im born and raised in cali and i dont think his english is like a native californian... its a little fobby... :mellow:

Guest cynkawahara

Interesting topic....

I was surprised to read about Kim Sun Ah from MNIKSS... in the drama when speaking with Daniel Henny's character she was too funny!

As for Jung Ryu Won from MNIKSS, definitely could hear the Aussie accent when she speaks in English. I enjoy the Aussie English.

I am constantly amazed, while watching various drama's, how many of these actors speak English so well. As a jpnz american, my comparison is based on jpnz entertainers, whom I have heard speaking English in the dramas that I have watched. Not too good. But I do try to keep an open mind, taking into account various factors, such as the similiarity/or lack of, the phonetic sounds in each languaage, that can affect the clearness of their English..

Along similar lines, if you read many of the bio's of these actors/actresses, a majority of them have college educations. I find this unusual, especially in the field of entertainment. I live in California but I wonder how many of our "hollywood entertainers" have college educations.

I think the Korean culture's emphasis on education is exceptional and superb!

Guest -ryce akashi-

sung si kyung, brian, tablo, tim, han chae young are the only few that i know...

eric's english is a tad erm.... weird.

Archived