Can you "just hang out" with someone who's interested in you?

Guest Clairebear

Guest Clairebear

Do you think it's ok to hang out (alone) with someone who's interested in you, when you only see him/her as a friend? Even if you've made it clear that you only want to be friends, are you giving someone the wrong idea if you accept when he asks you to hang out? Basically, will he think it means I'm changing my mind? Also, if your guy friend tries to hand your hand, put his arm around you, etc when you're supposedly "just hanging out", would it be really rude to brush him off if you feel awkward? Or would that make things more awkward O.O

Guest pandaluv

He will think you have some interest in him because you are willing to give him your time (if its just the two of you) Don't lead him on :o

Guest Psyche81

Agreed with everyone here. Don't lead him on. Don't hang out with him one on one if you know he is interested in you and you are certain you can never reciprocate the feeling. If it's unavoidable that you must hang out, then call up your group of friends and hang out as a group. If your friends are teasing both of you because they know he likes you, then make it clear to your friends and to him that you guys are just friends. Look them and look him in the eye when you say it so that they'll all know you are serious and you mean what you say.

But I am curious....are you 100% sure there is not a chance you maybe interested in him too? Otherwise why would you post a question asking "Do you think it's ok to hang out (alone) with someone who's interested in you, when you only see him/her as a friend?" Why would you want to hang out solo with him? I mean if I only like a guy as a friend, the idea to hang out alone with him wouldn't even cross my mind, because I would usually call up a few friends together to hang out.....

Sometimes girls can get confused and uncertain about their feelings when they learn someone is interested in them. So a majority of the time girls make up the excuse that "oh I just want to be friends" and hide behind this excuse and buy time to think things over. But once the guy stops talking to you, stops showing interest in you, it maybe your turn to start chasing him......and you know, it's too late.......

Guest roar.

But once the guy stops talking to you, stops showing interest in you, it maybe your turn to start chasing him......and you know, it's too late.......

Just wondering, do guys tend to feel this way as well?

Guest HavenInMuse

I'm in the same situation, but he's my best friend, so it's weird if we DON'T hang out. I can tell you from my experience with him, though.

He told me many times he loves me, and I told him I don't, and then we have a huge fight. Then we'll stop talking for a month, and we'll eventually gravitate together because we're really good friends...He will say he's gotten over me, or is going on dates with girls, which I'm happy about. We hang out again. A few times of going out with him, he will be so happy, will try to hold my hand, etc...I will reject, and we will have a huge fight again. Rinse and repeat.

It won't work. Unless you miraculously fall in love with him like in movies.

Guest Clairebear

Agreed with everyone here. Don't lead him on. Don't hang out with him one on one if you know he is interested in you and you are certain you can never reciprocate the feeling. If it's unavoidable that you must hang out, then call up your group of friends and hang out as a group. If your friends are teasing both of you because they know he likes you, then make it clear to your friends and to him that you guys are just friends. Look them and look him in the eye when you say it so that they'll all know you are serious and you mean what you say.

But I am curious....are you 100% sure there is not a chance you maybe interested in him too? Otherwise why would you post a question asking "Do you think it's ok to hang out (alone) with someone who's interested in you, when you only see him/her as a friend?" Why would you want to hang out solo with him? I mean if I only like a guy as a friend, the idea to hang out alone with him wouldn't even cross my mind, because I would usually call up a few friends together to hang out.....

Sometimes girls can get confused and uncertain about their feelings when they learn someone is interested in them. So a majority of the time girls make up the excuse that "oh I just want to be friends" and hide behind this excuse and buy time to think things over. But once the guy stops talking to you, stops showing interest in you, it maybe your turn to start chasing him......and you know, it's too late.......

oh, I specified "alone" because we hang out a lot in a group setting since we're in the same group of friends? The thing is, a lot of times when he wants to hang out, he only calls me. I just avoid it and say "ok I'll call ____ and see if they're busy" and sometimes I can tell he doesn't like it but I have never agreed to hang out with him alone because I feel like that would make it not "just hanging out"

He shouldn't be touching you. You can be a friend to someone who is interested in you, but the person shouldn't be touching you in a way that makes you uncomfortable. It is not rude to take his hands/arms off you because they shouldn't be there in the first place.

Someone who does like you shouldn't put you in that kind of situation.

Guest sylphid97

Nope, does not work. Pretty soon, he may try to justify becoming an item because you guys get along so well together. He may also consider them as "dates"... don't give him the chance to make that misunderstanding...

You can still hangout with him. Just make sure it's in a group setting as others have said.

I tried this before, being friends with someone you don't really like.

And ended up hurting the poor guy.

I kind of liked him at first but at the time when he confessed his feelings, I already had feelings for someone else. I tried being friends with him (he also seemed to be OK with the idea). But when I mentioned about this other guy.. Hmm.. He (the guy whom I liked only as a friend) didn't talk to me for several months.

He's now talking to me again (because he got himself a girlfriend) - but it's REALLY awkward to talk to him nowadays.

I think if you want to avoid this kind of awkwardness between two people - don't give the guy any hope, even if it feels cruel. At least stop seeing him 101, hang out with him in a larger group of people if you want to keep your friendship with him alive.

sigh. not a good idea. i tried before and only thing that happen was it made him think that i'm interested in him but just hiding it really well -_-* so try to avoid it much as possible or only hang out with him if there are other people.

Guest jellie_kookie

Nope. You'll hurt the person even if you don't mean to...

Don't brush him off and try to avoid being alone with him at all costs.

If you don't think it's awkward, it wouldn't be awkward. :D

Archived