[Variety] Saturday Freedom - Immortal Song 2 불후의 명곡 2

Guest chopper!

Guest timpa

Just saw the first episode, it was great to see the idols perform songs that were not what they usually would sing.

The show itself is really poor. The format of the show is one of the worst I have ever seen. The reason being is that there's an elimination after each additional singer. So there's five eliminations and the person who sings first has a really bad chance of winning because he/she has to go through each elimination. The person who gets selected last only has to go through one elimination. As the show goes on, it takes too much time and attention and I started to care less about who stays on.

I also think the show itself is weird. Asides from the idols, every thing about the show is very formal and proper. I just felt I was watching a trot show, but the performers are idols.

I understand the tension the PD was trying to create by going for the system he created to determine the winner, but I agree that it's not exactly fair. It's like how Strong Heart determines the winner for that week. But on Strong Heart it's just a talk show so it's not like being the winner really matters very much.

What I would like to see is instead of voting A vs B, I'd like to see when each singer performs the Audience voting on a 1 to 10 scale. Then out of the 200 member audience that score is then averaged. The PD could then have the EXACT same style of elimination, but without the 're-vote'.

Example.

Singer #1 sings: Gets 7.9

Singer #2 sings: Gets 8.4

#1 vs #2 'drama': Singer #2 wins with higher score and his/her spotlight stays on.

Singer #3 sings: Gets 8.2

#2 vs #3 'drama': Singer #2 wins with higher score and his/her spotlight stays on.

and so on and so forth until the last singer.

It would be the exact same tension, but without having re-votes and giving unfair advantages to the final singers IMO.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest binaa2

My first reaction after watching the first show was dissapointment. I thought it whould be more of a variety show.

Also what surprised me was the obvious similarites to "i am a singer" even though they stated beforehand it whould not be like that.

The only positive thing was the singing.

Going to rewatch it once my copy of the 720p version finished download and see if if my impression of it improves.

Hopfully it will be aired on KBS world since i feel it will gain some points if i understood fully what was said.

Hopfully it will be aired on KBS world since i feel it will gain some points if i understood fully what was said.

It will . . . details of KBSW broadcast dates/times/repeats are mentioned in my earlier posting on Page One.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Source : AllKPop

KBS’s “Immortal Song 2″ PD addresses viewers’ concerns about the show

[June 05, 2011]

KBS’s “Immortal Song 2” certainly debuted to a strong start, but it was also embroiled in a series of controversies that left viewers with some concerns.

The show recorded remarkable viewer ratings, coming in at 7.9% according to AGB Nielsen Media Research. To put the achievement into perspective, it beat out MBC’s “We Got Married” and it was only 1.1% off from SBS’s “Star King.”

20110605113506992.jpg

But with the impressive start came criticisms, as many were of the belief that the show was too strongly similar to MBC’s “I Am a Singer.“ PD Kwon Jae Young sat down with E Daily for an interview answering the concerns. Check it out below:

20110605113506997.jpg

1. “Some are criticizing the show’s concept for being too similar to ‘I Am a Singer’.”

PD: “It’s something we expected. Singing battles have become a trend for broadcast companies. Not only is ‘Immortal Song 2′ in the same frame as ‘I Am a Singer’, but ‘Superstar K‘ and ‘Birth of a Great Star‘ if you look at it that way. ’Immortal Song 2′, however, is a corner created from the original ‘Immortal Song.’ The concept of having other singers learn to sing another famous singer’s song has always been ours, but just changed to match up to the current trend of song battles.

When ‘1 Night 2 Days‘ first aired, it, too, was criticized for being similar to MBC’s ‘Infinity Challenge.‘ But how is it doing now? As time passed, it created its own individuality and there is barely anyone that still thinks the two programs are similar. We hope to take ‘Immortal Song 2′ through the same transformation, as it is something the producers definitely need to work out.

Instead of the results, our program places emphasis on the process, which is why we spend so much time preparing the idol singers and their song arrangements.”

2. “There are also viewers that don’t like the way the winner is chosen.”

PD: “We discussed the way winners are selected a lot.

Although there’s already the standard format of calling all six out and choosing the final winner, it’s already being used by ‘I Am a Singer’ so we couldn’t just do that. While looking for something that would be both unique and fun, we came up with our current system.

20110605113507002.jpg

Honestly speaking, we also thought of using a traditional tournament style where #1 and #2 would go against each other, #3 and #4 would go against each other, and the final winners would then go against each other. But going that route puts too much pressure on the artists and they’d have to prepare three songs a week. It’s kind of meaningless to battle again with a song you’ve already won with.

It already takes all week long for artists to arrange just one song by a legendary artist, so a traditional style would kill the artist. We are, however, considering a change to the system, but we won’t be changing the way we only choose a winner. We will be leaving open the possibility for changes in the program, as long as it doesn’t break any major rule.”

3. “When two people are on stage, the idol singer with the least votes get their spotlight turned off. Viewers thought this was cruel.”

PD: “‘Immortal Song 2′ is a variety program, but as it is a singing competition, there needs to be a certain level of tension. We turn off the spotlight to raise that tension.

We hope that people will regard it in a warmer light.”

Source + Photos: EDaily via Daum

Guest sirce

I thought it was great! I liked how it was less a variety show than a singing show. I also liked the singing, however I loved the battle songs more. The own chosen songs were okay, but the battle songs were intense! You could really see how everyone tried to step it up. I'm actually okay with how the elimination works. It really adds to the excitement and I actually think the darkness also has a positive side as it does not show the disappointment much, which could save the pride of the loser. I did think how it was unfair for the first ones, however it's not like it could ever be fair as judging also depends on taste. For example Iu who made a mistake and from her face thought she would have been eliminated right away. In the end however, I do think the winner will be chosen correctly like what happened to Hyorin.

Guest Jin91

about the allkpop article, I also agree that it is similar to I am a singer. Though it's hard to come up with completely different ideas for a singing competition, they could have at least edited the episode differently from I am a Singer! The way the did the interviews of the idols was the same, and the way they edited in the episode and then into the performances (which annoys me like it does on I am a singer since it cuts off the performances -_-) is the same. rawrr

other than that, I thought it was pretty good overall. You can definitely see where they have good points and where they are lacking as singers/performances, but I think that's great because it's a good learning experiences for them as well. I like Changmin in 2AM, but when he sang "first impression" I felt it kind of lacking? He sang really well but something was missing. Not just him but in some of the other singers too... good singing but kind of one dimensional I guess? but this was just the first episode so I look forward to their improvement!! I'm happy that they do 2 songs per episode each (well... for now I guess?) because it means more goodies haha!

I actually don't have much of a problem with the elimination system like some people say that the first person who loses doesn't have a chance. Say there is person a, b, and c. If B beats A, and then C beats B, then even if A had a chance to go against C, C would still win. Does that make sense? lol hopefully

Guest exjoolie

this show's a bit more...lighter than i'm a singer? less serious.

i can see that the idols do need some improving as i don't have a very memorable performance on the first episode. but i was quite o_o when i saw the interview room, they could've at least made it a different background or something, that's way too similar man lols

i don't think they're sticking with two songs each episode, i heard this is the pilot episode, and it took 2 hours long! cutting their next show secret to like 10 min! i was so sad T^T but yeah, they're def doing 1 song next week.

i'm hoping they'll wow me someday. right now, the songs they sang doesn't make me wanna download them or rape the repeat button lol but they're young, they'll get better. hope they'll take bigger risks next time, this week, the performances were just safe.

IU to permanently withdraw from KBS’s “Immortal Song 2″

[June 06, 2011]

IU has announced that she will be departing from KBS’s “Immortal Song 2” for good.

On June 6th, representatives confirmed through Star News, “The episode broadcast on the 4th will be her first and last, as she will be leaving the show.”

IU felt overwhelmed by her laden schedule, which included her MC duties for “Inkigayo” as well as other commitments to other shows like “Kim Yuna’s Kiss & Cry“. But her network appearances aren’t the only things on her schedule, as representatives continued to revealed, “IU will unfortunately be leaving the program in order to focus on her upcoming album, which is scheduled for release later this year.”

Taking her place will be SECRET’s main vocalist, Song Ji Eun. 2PM’s Junsu and F.T. Island’s Hongki are also preparing to join the program as well in future episodes.

Source + Photos: Star News via Naver

Super Junior’s Yesung & SHINee’s Jonghyun to leave “Immortal Song 2″

[June 06, 2011]

20110606143612505.jpg

Recently, we announced that IU was permanently withdrawing from KBS2TV’s”Immortal Song 2“. On June 6th, it was announced that Super Junior’s Yesung and SHINee’s Jonghyun would also be leaving the show because of preparations for SMTOWN’s Paris concert.

Producer Kwon Chae Young explained,

“IU, Yesung, and Jonghyun will be leaving ‘Immortal Song 2′ due to their personal schedules. IU’s involvement ended with last week’s broadcast, while Yesung and Jonghyun’s participation will be ending with the June 18th broadcast, the third episode.“

We reported that IU was being replaced by SECRET’s Song Ji Eun, and that 2PM’s Junsu and F.T. Island’s Lee Hongki were preparing to join the show. It’s been revealed that Junsu and Hongki will be joining the cast in Yesung and Jonghyun’s place.

Producer Kwon continued,

“I’m sad that we won’t be able to show the original members’ development due to the member changes, however, I’m trying to think optimistically about the fact that more idol stars will be given the opportunity in upcoming episodes and that we have a fluid cast in place. This is inevitable because of their busy schedules and overseas commitments.“

He also revealed,

“Yoseob has an upcoming schedule with B2ST in Japan and his participation is currently under review, but we have already lined up MBLAQ’s G.O to come in should he fail to make it for recording. Also on our list are f(x)’s Luna and miss A’s Min. We are not discounting rookie group members as long as they fit the requirements that our producers are looking for and have outstanding skills. But as always, it will remain a 6-member cast at all times.”

Meanwhile, the second broadcast of “Immortal Song 2″ will air on June 11th.

Source: Kuki News & Star N News

Source : KBS Global Entertainment News

IU Drops Out Of "Immortal Song 2"

[2011-06-07]

e_110607_01.jpg

Following singer IU's announcement that she would be leaving KBS's new show, "Immortal Song 2", the rumor mill started churning. Many people linked her departure to the fact that she had placed last in the first episode of the show that ranks idol stars in purely their vocal abilities. IU had given an impressive performance of her own rendition of Toy's "Good Person", but failed to move the audience enough to beat any of of the other contestants.

IU's company, Loen Entertainment, decided to clear the air by releasing a statement that IU leaving the show had nothing to do with pride or poor sportsmanship. According to Loen, the truth of the matter was that IU had only agreed to taking part in one episode from the get go. The company added that because she was a previous guest, she may even participate in future shows down the road.

There is not doubt that "the nation's younger sister" is busy emceeing for the music performance ranking show "Inkigayo" and competing in the skating reality show "Kim Yuna's Kiss & Cry".

IU is not alone in leaving "Immortal Song 2". Yesung from Super Junior and Jong-hyun of SHINee have also decided to drop out. In their place will be Ji-eun from Secret, Jun-su from 2PM, and Hong-ki from FT Island.

Guest apple_red

hmmmm....

regarding the show format, i agree with some opinion that this show has unfair judgement. being the first to sing, Yesung and Jonghyun would be the most disadvantaged. their voice would be hoarsed if they can get through all the elimination process and Changmin would only have to sing once.

and i think Hyorin is smart. she takes the most advantage of it...you cant expect Jonghyun, Changmin, Yoesob and Yesung dancing like her right ??? lol.

regarding the schedule conflict of Yesung, Jonghyun and IU, i understand perfectly. but didnt they already has the schedule on hand 1 month before ?  IU already host of the shows and ( i think) Dreamhigh drama's filmed soonest. I dont know about Jonghyun as i am not his fans, but i know that Yesung has a lot on his hands already. His SJ 5 JB, DJ ing sukira (in replace of eunhyuk), and SM town concert in Paris which is held on 10-11 June ( Jonghyun also join). both will back to Korea around June 13th, therefore they have to withdraw from the show this week...

so, my assumption is, i believe that PD knew that 3 of them had uncompromised schedule but still put them on the show to gain attraction of first eps. after the 1st eps, they can withdraw depends on their schedule, and give the chance to another idols...which i think is good either..dont you think ?

Guest timpa

so, my assumption is, i believe that PD knew that 3 of them had uncompromised schedule but still put them on the show to gain attraction of first eps. after the 1st eps, they can withdraw depends on their schedule, and give the chance to another idols...which i think is good either..dont you think ?

Your assumption would be fact ;) The PD said early on that 2 or 3 of the idols might have to be replaced after the 1st or 2nd episode because of their schedules and that it would be an ongoing problem. Unlike the singers on I Am A Singer who are veteran singers and don't make many appearances. Idols are raced around at the whim of their agencies and with the whole Hallyu thing in full force out of the country almost once a month at this point.

Always seems like there's some concert in Japan, or Malaysia, or Thailand, etc...

I think the thing that upset people is the PD wasn't up-front with people about who was leaving. He knew IU was gone after the first episode, yet he never said anything and acted like she would be part of the show when it was really just one appearance.

Of course I wonder how IU's agency is going to feel when this show gets 3 to 4 times the rating Kim Yuna's skating show(which IU is on) gets. Of course IU can rest her voice on the skating show (which she can't on a singing show) so that could be another factor.

I think that there's plenty of 'main vocals' on idol groups (and god knows there's a CRAP TON of idol groups) so there's plenty of bodies to fill the 6 spots on this show ;)

I don't get the criticism about the elimination format being "harsh" and hurting people's feelings.

What? I thought this was a friendly competition.  Me thinks some of the contestants (and their fans) are taking things a little too seriously.  Just have fun and enjoy it, no need to be afraid of losing... or winning for that matter. 

I didn't know idols were so thin skinned.

Guest apple_red

I don't get the criticism about the elimination format being "harsh" and hurting people's feelings.

What? I thought this was a friendly competition.  Me thinks some of the contestants (and their fans) are taking things a little too seriously.  Just have fun and enjoy it, no need to be afraid of losing... or winning for that matter. 

I didn't know idols were so thin skinned.

because they're singers..and all of them (except for IU) are the lead singer of their groups, means they're the best singer on the group.

Yesung, Changmin, Yeosob, Jonghyun is all the lead singer...they have their pride being a singer..

eventhough the show is just for fun, but they're represent their group, and represent their pride on the line by join the show. and when they're lost, specifically yesung who is lost to his honbae.

and you know how netizen is. there's always a fandom war amongst the groups...do you know how Shinee fans reacted when Yesung replaced Jonghyun when Jong was ill in a show ?? mostly harsh words as if he was a criminal ...:lol: :lol:

i believe Yesung never ever want to replace anyone except members on his group again after that one.:P 

and back to the pride again, when they're lost, it was as if their group lost to another group..fandom war again...yeah..that's how the world workds

and i dont put hyorin's name here because she won in first eps...

Guest chopper!

i was expecting 2 performances like last week..... but there was only 1 this week. 

does this mean they're gonna keep the format like this from now on??

i believe so, to have 2 performances is time consuming, the first episode was the pilot so they extended the time to 2 hours.

Guest timpa

KBS has a Satuday afternoon 'block' with a new show (Secret) and Immortal Song 2. Last week Secret only aired for 10mins because Immortal Song 2 was extended. Since Secret is meant to be a 40-50min show that means Immortal Song will just have 1 performance a week.

For the performances I was a little surprised that they voted Jonghyun the winner. He was very energetic, but I felt like his screams(screeches) were trying too hard and just didn't gel that good.

I'm looking forward to next week though. Hyorin was ROCKING OUT HARD... And we have some classic Boohwal songs. I'm not really sure how Ji Eun is going to do though, I really felt like she wasn't singing strong enough and too 'ballady' and not rocker. Especially with a classic like The Story of You and the Rain (Which just so happens BMK sung as her mission on I Am A Singer)

Infact, the strange thing is that with the style of the show and the obvious similarities between it and I Am A Singer you have singers on the show doing songs that were used on I Am A Singer. Kim Bum Soo did a Boohwal song recently too (Neverending Story) I think Changmin has that as his mission on Immortal Song 2.

For the performances I was a little surprised that they voted Jonghyun the winner. He was very energetic, but I felt like his screams(screeches) were trying too hard and just didn't gel that good. 

OMG i had to mute my computer the first 10s coz he was screeching n screaming T_T i tried to on it again half way thru but still cant listen to his screams~i swear i love jonghyun but that perf was just not it T_T i dont get it why did he got no 1~ T_T

I'm looking forward to next week though. Hyorin was ROCKING OUT HARD... And we have some classic Boohwal songs. I'm not really sure how Ji Eun is going to do though, I really felt like she wasn't singing strong enough and too 'ballady' and not rocker. Especially with a classic like The Story of You and the Rain (Which just so happens BMK sung as her mission on I Am A Singer)

Infact, the strange thing is that with the style of the show and the obvious similarities between it and I Am A Singer you have singers on the show doing songs that were used on I Am A Singer. Kim Bum Soo did a Boohwal song recently too (Neverending Story) I think Changmin has that as his mission on Immortal Song 2.

i think ji eun just picked the wrong song~she cant do so rock-ish for sure coz of her voice but that song she picked,she cant feel it~so she cant sing it~hence her producer or whoeva that helped her tries to change the song for her~one she can really feel~

Archived