[Drama 2011] Sweet Palpitation / Pit-a-pat, My Love 두근두근 달콤

Guest fanda4000

I saw a korean american guy talking about this the other day on youtube, where as if you don't listen to your parents and date someone of their standards the family will cut you off, either you want the BMW or the woman.

shondrea2 and Auntie Mame, Love your suggestions. A man climbing to the top of the financial ladder without the rich daddy's help would be a radically different Kdrama. Then he could marry the woman he loves and buy his own BMW. Also, if the hero has an excellent university education, couldn't he find a position at an independent company?

When I first started watching Kdramas I was impressed by the achievements and quality of Korean culture. As time passed I saw the negative sides, especially the Confucian beliefs that permeate all situations of Korean society. Many Kdrama fanatics I spoke to are adamant they would not bow to such pressures, but they do not live in Korea! But, we viewers would not faithfully watch Kdramas without the angst and French farce antics dreamed up by the screenwriters.

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've always thought that Confucius was appropriate for his time, where his philosophy brought a sense of order into a chaotic world. (In my mind, Confucius and his doctrines are liken to the caveman discovering fire.) However, problems arise when the application of his doctrines are not comprehensive, but selective and applied literally.  Comprehensive being defined as fully understanding his doctrines.  Not just a part of one of his teachings.  :wacko:

I've argued the point that one shouldn't so easily applied his doctrines unless one understands the full scope of his teachings. Then, when the person disputed me, I got snarky and said, 'oh, I didn't realized that you had study Confucian Classics'. Of course, they hadn't. So, they 'shut up'. (Another reason that I've never seen or will ever see any bequest of any kind. However, I must admit they begrudgingly respect me enough to never talk down to me. pfft) tongue2.gif

I don't care what country or culture you come from or how rich or poor you are, all parents try to control their children and that regardless of your age. The difference in not in the parents but in the child. In most Kdramas the men that come from rich and powerful families are also men who are well educated professionals who are capable of getting outstanding position's in large corporation's  anywhere in the world. Their families may not own them but they would still be able to afford what ever they receive by working for their parents and taking crap.Senior executive's at the company I retired from had incomes of several million dollars a year and that did not include their bonuses. 

The women behave the way they do out of boredom and a need to prove their own self worth. The typical rich female in drama's does nothing but shop, get facials or massages and go to the hairdresser's. If I lived like that I probably would pray my son fall's in love with a poor girl so I could torment her for lack of anything else to do. If I don't know a lot about the rich but  I know that a rich family would never disinherit it's only son.They would let the poor girl marry their son then torment her until she begged for a divorce.

Back on topic The thing with CH I don't get is what will he get out of hurting MJ, the most that will happen to her is she will lose her job. Will that really make him feel that much better. He threw away his only friend of 20+ years because she fell in love for the second time with someone other that him. This was mostly his fault, MJ was waiting for GH to come back. Had he told her he was dead he might of had a shot before DH ever came in the picture. Just from a work stand point why is everything that goes wrong on a show is MJ's fault. They now have six people in their unit and she is not the one in charge, the bald headed guy is. If I'm not mistaken JH is over him. When they had the other show JH had to approve everything now all of a sudden she is out of the loop.It must be someone's job to verify the guest story and to approve of it going on air and that is not MJ. When they did the unwed mother piece MJ had to convince the team to do it she did not make the decision alone. JH better be careful it's only been 7 years since the accident, her and JY could get charged with attempted murder. 

I also agree with monalisa the police are shown in a terrible light as well as the doctors.

What was that preview about for 74 is GH alive! 

GH came to MJ, in a dream.  This was after DH and MJ took the daughter to visit GH at the cemetery.  I think they were asking for GH's blessing and MJ saying a final good-bye to GH.  :tears:

I think the dream was meant to say that GH was fine with them as a new family.  (I guess GH didn't approve of CH, since he's never shown up in MJ's dreams all these years.)  :huh:

"The difference in not in the parents but in the child."   I total agree with your statement.  It's the same thing I say to friends, cousins, etc. when they get into the same situation with their elders.  But, I also point out that their complaints are empty and to the wrong person, if they don't put some backbone in taking a stand for their own lives.  I've even said they just want to vent at someone.  But, they're too 'lazy' to actually do something against their elder's dictates . . . because it's too much trouble.  If they choose the 'avoid conflict at all cost' model, then, they should learn to live with the status quo and give up complaining.  :phew:

Actually, I think everyone and anything allied with DH's family are a bit 'nuts'.  sheesh ...  :wacko:

Actually, I think everyone and anything allied with DH's family are a bit 'nuts'.  sheesh ...  :wacko: 

I agree with that shooting pain the father keeps getting in the back of his head that either send's him to the hospital or has him bed ridden you would think that by now he would learn to speak in a civil tone.I'm loving how DH is taking a stand and refusing to give up on MJ. I hope that his mother going to see HN is not to say awful things in front of the child.Someone asked earlier if DH and JH had ever consummated their marriage, the answer is no. I believe that at the time JH was in love with JY, she was going out at night to meet him that's how DH had the car accident he was following them and JY saw and turned his wheel which caused DH to run into a truck.

It looks from the preview that JY is going to save the day for DH.

I was so wrong, JY was there to save JH. DH is going to have to remember the rest of what happened the night of the accident to win against them. Well at least now DH father can stop living that pipe dream and see JH for what she really is.CH get's inducted to the club judging from the preview. The only problem is he is not really one of them, after both JH and JY are the rich kid's and CH is a poor kid that did alright for himself. When they start to treat him like the lackey he is then he will realize what he threw away. Him and MJ and been long time friends her family treated him as family. no one else ever gave him a second look, I can't wait to see his down fall because he is worst then JH he betrayed a friend over his one sided love.

JH is doing this because she wanted to repent for what she had done the first time around so she had it in her head that she would be a good and loving wife, the fact that this was not what DH wanted was a blow to her vanity.

JH is doing this because she wanted to repent for what she had done the  first time around so she had it in her head that she would be a good and  loving wife, the fact that this was not what DH wanted was a blow to  her vanity.                                                   

Well, if that isn't the warpest and most illogical thinking on earth, I don't know what is.  She's going to take revenge because he wouldn't give her the chance to atone for cheating on him.  :wacko:  That's totally looney!   

It's like she gave him the illness, then, try to give him the medicine.  But, when he refused the medicine, she's going to kill him for refusing the medicine.    I guess that works . . . somehow . . . in some far off alternate reality . . . in some other dimension.  pfft  tongue2.gif

But, the craziest one still must be JY, for loving someone so looney.  Rhetorical question:  Won't the person loving a looney person have to be loonier than the looney person?  :blink:  :crazy:  :wacko:

This is why JH can steal their company right from under them, DH father and mother are so worried about him marrying a girl that they disapprove of that they are discussing business plans and project in front of a driver that has worked for them maybe a week. The same said driver is walking all through the house and no one is blinking an eye except the butler.Yet their plan turs out to be the very same one that JH comes up with and they don't see a connection. Not even a passing thought to it. Today again the are discussing some contracts the father get's so upset because MJ is in the house but it was the driver who walked off with the papers. It's strange the butler is always in the kitchen and the driver is always sitting around listening to what should be confidential information. At this rate they are lucky to have even started a company let alone keep one.

It looks like CH might jump ship and get back on MJ and DH side, if so they can thank JY for that, because of his attitude towards CH he reminded him of what an insignificant little worm he is and always was until MJ made a friend of him.It was MJ treating him like he mattered that allowed him entrance to what it was like to have a friend. But in yesterdays preview they showed butler Wang catching him snooping in DH room I didn't see that today. Since MJ has the sketch of the nefarious skulker I guess she will be the one to save the day. I think also in the end JY will jump ship to because he will realize that JH is just using him the same way she is using everyone else and that he is nothing special to her.

Also when are they going to let DH remember everything about the accident so that her can reveal it to show what kind of people JY and JH are, hope it's not to late to send them to jail.

When do they ever call the police in a drama, cutting that cable so that the klieg light fall on MJ is attempted murder. What kind of TV station only has one station where they can look at all those tapes to see if they could find the one responsible and what if they do then what. If they had call the police they would handle it. How do you insult the person who almost got killed in your company by foul play, since they are always talking about compensation I know they do lawsuits. This is the second time MJ has been asaulted in the workplace  and the third time she has been hurt for work. Clearly the security at this TV station leaves a lot to be desired.

When do they ever call the police in a drama, cutting that cable so that the klieg light fall on MJ is attempted murder. What kind of TV station only has one station where they can look at all those tapes to see if they could find the one responsible and what if they do then what. If they had call the police they would handle it. How do you insult the person who almost got killed in your company by foul play, since they are always talking about compensation I know they do lawsuits. This is the second time MJ has been asaulted in the workplace  and the third time she has been hurt for work. Clearly the security at this TV station leaves a lot to be desired.

Although, I've been under the weather lately and haven't caught up on any of the dramas,  I don't think I would be off-based to agree with your statement.  I guess those company ID badges are totally for looks and useless for security purposes.  (The lanyards do add a certain amount of color to their outfits.)   pffft  :rolleyes:

And, I guess security has to be lax so that there could be violators for the CCTV to record.  Otherwise, how else would they justify the expense of installing the security system. . . if there are no security issues for the system to record.   (Sounds like catch-22.)  :wacko:

As for security, at the TV station, it doesn't merely leave a lot to be desire.  It is totally non-existent.  :phew:

Finally, I'm and so glad to see an adult decide who they want to spend their life with. Way to go DH. Looks like he is going to marry MJ no matter what his father wants. Thanks to to writer god for sending me this I needed it so bad, to help restore my faith in the Kdrama.

I love the battle being between SIL and JH, SIL you have got to kick butt. I know she has her agenda and that she want's her husband to have DH job, but so what. It was his job from the start, the father only gave it to DH because he was sucking up to JH. Plus he is the oldest son it should be his. When SIL when's I would love for her to have a chance to show the father what a rotten person he is. That day he told SIL that he didn't like her and never had I wanted to sock him. Both the father and mother were always sucking up to JH while stepping over her and having no regards for her feeling. They both need a smack down. In the end I hope the father retires and goes on a long vacation and we never have to hear him open his mouth again. I know this is awful but I have often wished that he would finally have that stroke and it would leave him speechless so we would never have to hear from him again.

CH is so caught up in his own pettiness that he cant see the forest for the trees, we know he will rue the day that he sided with JH against his only friend.I don't feel a bit sorry for him.

I hope the older brother and SIL show up for the family dinner even if the mother and father don't, I would like to see the two brothers stay good with each other and not turn into spiteful rivals. I like how their relationship is. Let's see that wedding soon, maybe if they don't wait JH will have a nervous break down and they won't have to worry about her. If not even if the family forgives her MJ should send her straight to jail for attempted murder.

Drama gods hear my prayer one more time and see the eviler doer righteously punished for a change.

MJ and DH got married. hooray. I love a man that stands by his woman, but his father was a fool to the end. I know that they are well off but the father grew up dirt poor and made this company himself so why does he behave this way , I don't get. Does he think that he is the only poor person to become successful. Since the company has had money problems since the drama started why is he so full of himself. I wonder if he has been like this all his life. The kindness that is reflected in his children must surely come from the mother.

I'm not going to let him spoil the wedding day bliss.

MJ and DH got married. hooray. I love a man that stands by his woman, but his father was a fool to the end. I know that they are well off but the father grew up dirt poor and made this company himself so why does he behave this way , I don't get. Does he think that he is the only poor person to become successful. Since the company has had money problems since the drama started why is he so full of himself. I wonder if he has been like this all his life. The kindness that is reflected in his children must surely come from the mother.

I'm not going to let him spoil the wedding day bliss.

I've been skipping many episodes, but caught the wedding episode.  Although the wedding may be considered pathetic by some people, I thought it was perfect.  Perfect because every person attending truly wished happiness and rejoiced with the couple.  And, as I told someone a long time ago, the only two people who needs to be at a wedding was the bride and groom.

I don't watch much anymore because I can't stand the bully.  ugh!  :crazy:  He just raises my blood pressure. 

Probably also because I've personally experienced someone just like him (minus the health issue).  And, all it took to burst this person's bullying and pomposity was for one person to stand up to him and fight back using his own style.  tongue2.gif

Keep in mind that a bully is afraid of only a bigger and louder bully than himself.  Keep in mind that a bully, given an inch, will take a mile.  That's why cajoling tactics, such as by DH's mother, doesn't work.  That's why pleading tactics, such as by DH, doesn't work.  That's why appeasing tactics, such by DH's brother, doesn't work. 

And, anyone suffering in silence and meekly waiting for approval, is considered by the bully to be a cockroach and immediately squished.  The 'meek may inherit the earth'.  But, they sure can't deal with bullies.  :wacko:  sheesh ...

I have decided that DH house of nuts is just to much, he needs to take his new family and his brother and leave the rest to their own devices. DH and his brother should start their own company and let the father run his, then he could do battle with CH and JH directly because they deserve each other. The father is so verbally abusive I don't understand why his children didn't run away from home as soon as they began to walk.

The mother just goes along with what ever he does. SIL just want's her husband to be back in charge but she never thinks about what he wants.The father is just nuts and should be in a rest home somewhere. The contrast between MJ family and DH family is not to be believed. if DH family did all these machinations to make the company better it would make sense but its all about One-upsmanship. I would say get a life but I don't think they know how.  

I'm always looking at the little boy looking at all the adults interactions. Each time the camera pans on his face especially during one of  'those' scenes I always say .... "I wonder what he is thinking, I wonder what he is learning from this. What kind of man will he grow up to be?"  Now that Hana is living in the house we shall should soon see impact DH's dysfunctional family has had.

Archived