[Variety] Survival I Am A Singer 서바이벌 나는 가수다

Guest chopper!

Guest adikkeluangman

Tae Jin Ah reveals his disappointment towards ‘I Am A Singer’ controversies

Last week’s broadcast of MBC’s I Am A Singer revealed that Kim Gun Mo, the contestant who came in last place, would be given a chance to compete again in request of the other contestants. The show has since been in the midst of controversy, leading to the producer getting fired and rumors of the show being canceled.

Veteran trot singer and head of the Korean Singers Association, Tae Jin Ah, recently revealed his disappointment on the rapid controversy of the new variety show.

He stated, “This morning when I was leaving my house, I saw an article that was related to the cancellation rumors. At this rate, I’m worried that it will actually be canceled. When I was watching this variety show, I felt that this is the program that we were all waiting for. Although, I would like something where the singers would enjoy singing instead of worrying over their ranking.”

Currently, Kim Gun Mo has decided to voluntarily leave the show due to the controversy.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/tae-jin-ah-reveals-his-disappointment-towards-i-am-a-singer-controversies

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest ikesung

Rules is rules.

But i guess that the other singer feel horrible if there's no KIm gun MO.

because he's a great singer too blush.gif

@sPark* - I didn't think of giving a lapse of time before allowing a "fallen" singer back to try again. I agree, I think the audience would be more than happy to see these singers who unfortunately just didn't vibe with the audience that day to try again, given that that second chance wouldn't be right away.

Seeing Kim Gun Mo taking the show and the contest more seriously on the second chance really showed the merits of the program and the power of an audience feedback can have to a performer. I actually appreciated the show even more after seeing Gun Mo really put in an effort the 2nd time around.

Part of the thrill is seeing these highly praised singers having to "defend" the accolades given to them. But by having these singers try different styles as well as songs out of their comfort zone made me appreciate the singers who made it a hit, also see more of a singer's "color" as well.

I agree. I also enjoyed seeing the change in Kim Gun Mo and his approach to his second chance performance. He had clearly put more effort into the performance. Also, I love watching the singers adapt a song to their style because it takes an oldie and gives it a fresh vibe. I think this is why I enjoyed Jung Yeop's performance more than other people because I used to listen to YDH's version a lot.

I hope the show can come back with some sort of second chance rule.

When the show comes back, I hope they take the competitive nature out of it. Or have it be about charity instead, something like the American Celebrity Apprentice. I just hate the rankings and the survivor type nature of the show right now. And I think it was a big mistake to embarrass legends of the Korean music industry, especially in a country that is so image conscious. I doubt other big names will be jumping at the chance to be on the show now.

Guest dramaok

oh i think that's a good idea. like top chef master, where the chefs play for their charity. it would be okay for me if they eliminate someone but still to give the winner's charity something would be cool, that way it's not so much a personal win or loss. they're already established it's somewhat pointless to show who is good and who is not as good, but it would be interesting to see whose performance can win something for their charity.

oh i think that's a good idea. like top chef master, where the chefs play for their charity. it would be okay for me if they eliminate someone but still to give the winner's charity something would be cool, that way it's not so much a personal win or loss. they're already established it's somewhat pointless to show who is good and who is not as good, but it would be interesting to see whose performance can win something for their charity.

Exactly, I don't know why, but I really like the show. This is the first time I have been so invested in a Korean Variety Show. I really loved Kim Bum Soo's Cover of Please. I had no idea what he was singing, but I was moved by the emotion in the song.

Sadly, I think my prediction that the show may be canceled, might become a reality, now that the big three (SME, YG, and JYJ) have come out against the show. The network would be afraid of losing their access to the "idols" produced by these companies. See article about the controversy below. (honestly, I don't know why people are making such a big deal about the controversy).

___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Idol group producers disgruntled over “I Am a Singer” dominating music charts

Despite the many controversies the show is embroiled in, MBC’s “I Am a Singer” is a force to be reckoned with on the music charts. Decades-old hits began creeping back into the charts when the show first aired, and now they’re just about dominating every position imaginable.

On March 31st, one producer (who asked to remain anonymous) stated, “Digital songs from ‘I Am A Singer’ are dominating the live music charts. All comebacks and promotions for new tracks are being buried underneath these old songs on the charts.”

“I, too, understand the importance of spotlighting talented artists and bringing back hit tracks from the past, but if ‘I Am a Singer’ continues to distribute the songs digitally for profit, it will put the industry in crisis.”

Another industry representative also spoke up on the matter, beginning with an acknowledgement of the positives. “In an industry that’s so heavily concentrated on dance and idol music, it’s encouraging that ‘I Am a Singer’ is promoting a sense of change. Such talented artists are only known by few these days. Introducing hit tracks from the past and giving spotlight to deserving and talented artists to better introduce them to the mainstream industry is a fantastic deed.”

“However,” he continued, “It’s different when the broadcast company is taking a large portion of the profit made from those digital sales. I hope that a program with such good intentions won’t become tainted.”

KMP Holdings, a music and broadcasting organization that SM, JYP, and YG Entertainment are all a part of, will be holding a meeting at 5 PM KST on March 31st to come up with a statement against MBC releasing “I Am A Singer” covers into digital songs.

Source: Sports Today via Nate, Herald News

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/idol-group-producers-disgruntled-over-i-am-a-singer-dominating-music-charts

Guest Jeff86

Well, the companies are angry cause MBC released a digital album each week of the performances (not for a month now with the hiatus) and it placed 1st on the polls online each time. By doing so, their idols can't take first place anymore (the first place has become a joke nowadays anyway...).

Well...too bad for them, the albums are great and I'm listening to it right now lol.

But it's a delicate situation, these companies have a lot of power and can pressure MBC by threatening to put their idol out of MBC's shows.

Guest shyda

KPOP industry need varieties..Idol also delivered a good song..some of the idol really got talent on singing..I really support opinion from Yang Hyun Suk from YG what his feeling about this show..http://www.allkpop.com/2011/04/yang-hyun-suk-defends-i-am-a-singer.

All singer have their own charm and skill in singing..from this shows i really can see a variety of skill from difference singers..Episode 2, 3 and 4 really give a big impact to me..

For the first time I really can connect with Yoon Do Hyun when he sing.. Before this I try to find what actually YB fan said abt him.. now i know why they label him as the legendary rocker .. he delivered such superb performance on episode 3 and he deserve to get first place with such awesome performance and he continue deliver a good cover version of Dash on episode 4..he really change my perspective now..

and from episode 2 also I noticed Lee So Ra when she sang To You again with her own version blown me away and give me a goosebumps..and she also has her own charm whatever people said abt her because of the controversies on episode 2 i really like her .. her singing skill really give me a diff vibe when i listening to her song..

I really satisfied with all Kim Bum soo performance.. i know he such an awesome singer no doubt..and finally he get the first place for Jebal song..he really - really deserve it..I really can feel the emotion when he sing that song..from all the cover version i listened to for jebal song he did the best same feeling like pak hyo shin deliver when he sing this song.. :wub:

Baek Ji Young what we can said abt her..she sang the 80s song and also Yaksok really WOW me..she and kim bum soo both a ballad singer but when you listened to her cover version of Yaksok it really give different feeling from Kim bum soo..different skill and difference charm..oh i just love it..

Kim Gun Moo did a great cover version for the 80s song and also jung yeop song for You are my lady..he difference and he awesome too..he really deserve the title as legendary singer too..

I just love this show so much.. i really hope with new format and new PD .. this shows deliver a great performance from all the great singers that participate..i really can wait the new episode..for now i've been repeating watching all the great performance from the great singers and searching other performance from them at Youtube..

Guest adikkeluangman

‘I Am A Singer’ airs special three hour episode & is discontinued for a month

After several controversies with the public, MBC’s I Am A Singer aired its fourth episode today and surprised many viewers.

The show first started off with an on-screen apology that stated, “We are very sorry for worrying our viewers and because we were unable to keep our promise. We will return with a better stage by listening to your concerns and opinions.”

Due to the several problems that the show had faced the past week, it has been decided that the program would be discontinued for about a month to resolve issues. A special three hour episode, lasting 165 minutes, was thus aired to not disappoint viewers.

With an extended time frame, the show was able to fit the beginning of the next mission to the very end, revealing the next disqualified singer. The mission had the seven contestants perform each others hit songs, which made them much more focused on their performances.

The singers were selected to perform the following songs:

* Yoon Do Hyun – ‘Dash’ (originally by Baek Ji Young)

* Park Jung Hyun (Lena Park) - ‘First Impression’ (orginally by Kim Gun Mo)

* Kim Bum Soo – ‘Please’ (originally by Lee Sora)

* Kim Gun Mo – ‘You Are My Lady’ (originally by Jung Yup)

* Baek Ji Young - ‘Promise’ (originally by Kim Bum Soo)

* Jung Yup - ‘Will Forget’ (originally by Yoon Do Hyun)

* Lee Sora - “My Day” (originally by Park Jung Hyun)

As always, the five hundred audience members acted as the judges. The performances were mind-blowing, as many left remarks such as, “It was better than I expected,” “I was so moved that I almost cried,” and, “My heart was beating rapidly.” However, a contestant still had to be disqualified, which ended up being Jung Yup. Although he changed the style of Yoon Do Hyun’s rock song to fit his own vocal style, it was not enough for the audience, as he ended up getting the least amount of votes. Rejecting the offer for a re-challenge, Jung Yup left the show on a bright note along with his manager, Kim Shin Young. He stated, “It is an honor to be just a part of this show with such great artists.”

Viewers were also moved with this broadcast and were disappointed on its suspension, as comments were left such as:

* “I couldn’t keep track of the time.”

* “Can’t this program keep continuing? While watching, every issue and controversy that it had disappeared from my mind.”

* “Today’s performance was really something else.”

* “Professional singers can improve as well….. very surprising.”

* “I could tell the emotion that the singers had when they were singing.”

* “We were impatient but MBC was even more impatient.”

* “Although its already decided, can’t Kim Young Hee PD come back?”

* “I can’t believe this show won’t be airing next week.”

The replacement for the producer will be Shin Jung Soo, who is also the PD for ‘Come To Play’. Let’s hope the variety show will return to the public in a brighter note.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/i-am-a-singer-airs-special-three-hour-episode-discontinued-for-a-month

Exactly, I don't know why, but I really like the show. This is the first time I have been so invested in a Korean Variety Show. I really loved Kim Bum Soo's Cover of Please. I had no idea what he was singing, but I was moved by the emotion in the song.

Sadly, I think my prediction that the show may be canceled, might become a reality, now that the big three (SME, YG, and JYJ) have come out against the show. The network would be afraid of losing their access to the "idols" produced by these companies. See article about the controversy below. (honestly, I don't know why people are making such a big deal about the controversy).

Idol group producers disgruntled over “I Am a Singer” dominating music charts

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/idol-group-producers-disgruntled-over-i-am-a-singer-dominating-music-charts

I am also finding new love for these singers. I know some of the singers recent songs because they have done well enough to be in the music programs but I was unfamiliar with their older works. I knew nothing about Lee Sora, so I'm one of those who is paying more attention to them than the idols. HOWEVER, I still follow the idols that I've become a fan of.

This argument taken from the article mentioned above is the most silliest:

“I, too, understand the importance of spotlighting talented artists and bringing back hit tracks from the past, but if ‘I Am a Singer’ continues to distribute the songs digitally for profit, it will put the industry in crisis.”

Um, the whole point of making music in the industry is to hopefully profit from it - more so for the long term!

Perhaps the current industry needs to be in crisis if it's only based on flash-in-the-pan singers. If talent isn't good enough to overcome these favorite, well then, it's good that the industry is learning that consumers have taste!

Guest timpa

Well the Big 3 has become the Big 2 since YG himself came out and defended the show and the singers on the show re-releasing their songs digitally onto the charts.

I'm not actually sure SM & JYP came out against the show. From the article I read it was a 'group/distributor' that the 3 major companies belong to that complained about how each digital re-release of a song on the show was dominating the charts.

To that I say "boo-hoo" lol.

One of the major foundations of Korean society is respect for your elders. If SM/JYP force off the air a show full of respected seniors in the music industry they will be vilified.

Broadcast networks and Entertainment Agencies have been feuding for years. Each thinks that the other needs them more when the truth is they both need each other. Just both are large companies run by people with big egos.

Guest adikkeluangman

^Yes, I notice that too. I also would act like that. Even when I watched in on PC, I've been so overwhelmed by his voice.

On March 28th, singer Yangpa broke her four-year hiatus by dropping her comeback mini-album, “Elegy Nouveau“!

Recently, the singer revealed, “I’ve been watching ‘I Am A Singer‘ lately. It’s fantastic that more spotlight is being shed on some of the top artists of our nation again. If I should ever receive the opportunity, I’d love to be able to appear on the show.”

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/yangpa-releases-comeback-album-elegy-nouveau

“I Am a Singer” fans disgruntled by Kim Yeon Woo’s non-appearance

2011032805312461702_063103_0.jpg

Fans of the popular MBC reality show, “I Am a Singer“, are disappointed by the continued non-appearance of contestant Kim Yeon Woo.

According to the schedule, Kim Yeon Woo was supposed to appear on last week’s broadcast of “I Am a Singer.” However, because Kim Gun Mo received the opportunity to compete again, Kim Yeon Woo was unable to appear.

So what about this week’s broadcast? A special three hour episode prevented the star from being able to participate this week as well.

Amidst the swirling controversy surrounding the show, many are expressing hopes to that things will return to normal quickly, so that they could continue enjoying the interesting program.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/i-am-a-singer-fans-disgruntled-by-kim-yeon-woos-non-appearance

Kim Bum Soo wins first place for the first time in thirteen years

20110328_1301287545.jpg

Singer Kim Bum Soo won 1st place on the music charts for the first time since his debut 13 years ago.

On the March 27th episode of MBC’s ”I Am a Singer“, seven singers were each given a mission to cover each other’s hit songs, and Kim Bum Soo had re-arranged and sang Lee Sora’s ‘Please‘ in his own style. The judges were highly enthusiastic about his performance, and decided that he was the top star of the evening.

Reflecting over this profound moment, Kim Bum Soo stated, “This is the first time I’ve gotten 1st place since I debuted 13 years ago. I am honored to have received 1st place on this stage.”

Viewers who were touched by Kim’s performance are still hooked on his song, as his rendition of ‘Please’ continues to stay at the top of various music charts.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/kim-bum-soo-wins-first-place-for-the-first-time-in-thirteen-years

Yangpa wants to appear on ‘I Am a Singer’

Singer Yangpa is showing strong interest in participating on the TV show, “I Am a Singer”.

Yangpa revealed that she’s an avid fan of the MBC reality program, saying, “It’s wonderful that Korea’s vocally talented artists are being revisited once more. I thought there really are many talented singers in our country. If I get a change, I want to appear on ‘I Am a Singer’ and compete fair and square with my seniors and juniors.”

The singer has just released a new mini-album after a four-year hiatus. She’s scheduled to have her comeback performance on April 1st through KBS’s ‘Music Bank‘.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/yangpa-wants-to-appear-on-i-am-a-singer

Guest adikkeluangman

Baek Ji Young performs right after receiving IV treatment

Baek Ji Young is receiving praise for her professionalism.

The March 27th episode of MBC’s “I Am A Singer” revealed that Baek Ji Young was suffering from cold symptoms before her rehearsal. But Baek Ji Young didn’t want to pull out prematurely, so she received an IV treatment.

However, her condition worsened and Baek Ji Young was forced to stop her rehearsal. As she was exiting the stage, Baek Ji Young burst into tears.

The other participating singers tried to cheer her up. Baek Ji Young stated, “I wasn’t that nervous, but everything in my mind became blank. It felt like it was the first time I heard this song.”

Luckily, Baek Ji Young recovered enough to deliver a powerful performance later that absolutely shocked fans. Viewers praised her professionalism by stating, “This is Baek Ji Young” “She is so awesome.”

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/03/baek-ji-young-performs-right-after-recieving-iv-treatment

Guest adikkeluangman

SuJu’s Leeteuk, Heechul, Shindong, & Yesung talk experience, marriage plans, & summer comeback

Being singers themselves, the conversation turned to the hottest topic of the music industry today: MBC’s “I Am A Singer.”

Shindong stated, “I was really surprised at the idea of bringing such legendary seniors together into one show.”

Heechul added, “For me, it’s great and I love being able to listen to old hits again. Even for us, we have a hard time recognizing rookies on ‘Inkigayo‘ and will ask each other who they are, so the show feels a lot closer to us in that regards. The controversies surrounding it are disappointing, though.”

Yesung hoped, “If I could ever receive an opportunity in the future, I’d love to be able to appear on the show. I’m neighbors with Yoon Do Hyun, so I do meet up with him often.”

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/04/sujus-leeteuk-heechul-shindong-yesung-talk-experience-marriage-plans-summer-comeback

Yang Hyun Suk defends “I Am a Singer”

Thanks to MBC’s new program, “I Am a Singer“, Korea’s been experiencing a revival of interest in their legendary artists. Though the music industry was reported to be disgruntled by this new development, YG Entertainment’s Yang Hyun Suk has stepped up to defend the show and everything it stands for.

Through an interview with OSEN, Yang Hyun Suk expressed:

“When I first heard that Kim Bum Soo won #1 for the first time in his career, I felt a lump in my throat. ’I Am a Singer’ is undeniably an excellent program, and the fact that music industry representatives are opposing the direction of the show is definitely news to me.

Music is like fashion in that trends come and go. Hearings news about how Kim Bum Soo was able to grab his first win demonstrates just how bias our music industry really is. To me, I’m ecstatic that talented singers like Kim Bum Soo are finally able to receive spotlight through shows like ‘I Am a Singer’.

YG itself houses idols like Big Bang and 2NE1, but I’m glad and also welcoming of the veteran singers’ return. Instead of a world dominated by idols, it’s better that a more variety of singers and a wider diversity of genres are heard in the Korean music industry.

Reflecting back on the past couple of years, the industry seems to have swayed too far to one side. When talented singers emerge, the wave of interest sways to that side. When idols gain popularity, the wave of interest sways to that side, thus leaving the others with no place to stand. It’s so fortunate that such a program allows talented singers to reinvent past hits and communicate with the public.”

When asked why he agreed to an interview specifically on the show, he answered:

“I felt that since our artists and myself have no relationship to the singers on the show, as well as the fact that YG is known for being an idol group agency with Big Bang 2NE1, it’d be easier for me to speak more transparently.

Through the show, I’ve realized once more how important it is for songs to be able to move the heart. How amazing is it that people are finally focusing on the music itself and taking an interest in it? I applaud the show’s efforts and hope that ‘I Am a Singer’ continues to advance and improve itself.”

Industry representatives are opposed to the show releasing remakes into the digital market, but this does not reflect YG Entertainment’s opinion. I myself am actually curious as to who would say such a thing like that. These singers are merely moving the hearts of viewers with their talent, why must such a situation arise? It’s truly upsetting.

http://www.allkpop.com/2011/04/yang-hyun-suk-defends-i-am-a-singer

Guest Gsus86

In Sooni on “I Am A Singer”? “I am Debating”

In Sooni talked about her possible appearance on the show “I Am A Singer” at a charity event at a church.

She said “I am thinking very hard about appearing on ‘I Am A Singer’. A great debate is going on in my mind. Everyone has their own music video. When they listen to music, some video plays in everyone’s mind. This happened when I saw C’est Si Bon and watched ‘I Am A Singer’. I think the show reminds everyone of the music that is felt through the heart.”

“I Am A Singer” which was attacked by lots of viewers for an unfair second attempt that violated the rules laid out by the show itself, has changed PDs and will resume to film the show on the 18th.

http://www.askactor.com/gossip/In-Sooni_on_-I_Am_A_Singer-_-I_am_Debating-

are there any fansub of this program so far? i really enjoy watching this. i totally can see why there would be public outcry over the decision the PD made. anyway i'm glad to hear this show will resume instead of cancelled permanently.

Archived