[Variety] Survival I Am A Singer 서바이벌 나는 가수다

Guest chopper!

Guest Lil.Miss.A

why why why why whyyyyyy

i loved loved loved looooooooooved that perf T_T

the composer is super amazing for turning the song into an awesome ballad.. i loved loved the arrangements

hope they release the song soon

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest yeohweping

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/view?cateid=1032&newsid=20110328115526861&p=newsen

Viewers applause Jung Yub for leaving MBC " I am a Singer" with a smile.

20110328115526872.jpg

Kim Bum Soo just blows me away with every mission. I am developing a profound respect for him. Not just his voice but his performance too. Loved Yoon Do Hyun, but he had "Dash," and upbeat tune that can easily draw you in...While Kim Bum Soo's song was a real emotional one - one that seems only Lee Sora can evoke, so it was one tough task indeed to be able to do it "justice"...but he did it total justice. I just wanted to grab him and thank him after his performance!

Quite honestly, I'm disappointed with who got cut - if it was just vocal performance, he did waaaaaay better than at least one person...who I'm not naming but I thought she should have been cut - but I admit though, total performance-wise, he didn't do as well. I wish that he performed the way he did in the preliminary performance. I was surprised that he could sing the way he did - he just needed more practice and he could have wow-ed the crowd.

Nonetheless, I was shocked it was him and not another person. My hats off to him for a dignified departure (the whole group seemed to ready themselves this time so it may have been easier for him).

Well, I'm looking for the return of the show, because indeed, I unbelievably see these talented singers grow!

no there was no second chance thing this time, that rule only applied for last week only.

SERIOUSLY? Wow..............................\most retarded sh** I've heard of..

I really hope the PD got fired... and I hope that Kim Gun Mo does leave...  (things I heard from the news)

SERIOUSLY? Wow..............................\most retarded sh** I've heard of..

I really hope the PD got fired... and I hope that Kim Gun Mo does leave...  (things I heard from the news)

Actually, ____ was given a second chance - that's why he and his comedian manager stepped backstage to "talk" - but they'd already made up their minds before the announcement that they wouldn't take that second chance if it came to that.

Actually, ____ was given a second chance - that's why he and his comedian manager stepped backstage to "talk" - but they'd already made up their minds before the announcement that they wouldn't take that second chance if it came to that.

Wait, I'm sooo confused >___< Someone just told me that ___ didn't get a second chance and that it was only that one time w/ Kim Gun mo? If ___ walked away then I have a lot of respect for him <3 & i guess i'm not tooo toooo sad...  btw that's what Kim Gun Mo should have done~

Wait, I'm sooo confused >___< Someone just told me that ___ didn't get a second chance and that it was only that one time w/ Kim Gun mo? If ___ walked away then I have a lot of respect for him <3 & i guess i'm not tooo toooo sad...  btw that's what Kim Gun Mo should have done~

I think after the whole Kim Gunmo fiasco, they instated it as a new rule - everyone would be given that "second chance." _____ did the appropriate thing and walked away with a smile on his face, and that's why the Korean media & netizens are applauding him right now.

Guest dramaok

it was still sad to see someone go, but oh my he handled it with such dignity and poise. wow.

i was kinda expecting him to go too. i love listening to his music but he's not as impressive in performance.

but Kim Bum Soo was soooo good. he's just enchanting.

will miss this show for a month.

Guest Bastard2002

Love the show just a couple thoughts. In my opinion, Kim Bum Soo and Lena Park are the strongest singers. Kim Gun Mo is the weakest. I don't like his nasally voice.

Does anyone else think Lee Sora is a little out there. I love her voice but her personality on the show makes it seems like she's an eccentric. Also, she carries herself in a manner that's a touch snobby. Leaving the mid evaluations early, what professional does that. In a way, that she feels like she's a true "artiste" and she wants you to know it (yes she will have you say it with a french accent).

Kim Gun Mo comes off as a richard simmons. Considering he has sold 100 million albums in a country of 40 million people I understand it but I would never root for the guy. He is more a performer than a singer anyway.

Yoon Do Hyun seems like the nicest guy all around. A dude that has an amazing rock voice a la journey, bon jovi, rock ballard voice and just goes out and has fun singing it whatever it may be.

Lena Park's korean pronunciation is grating. I think it affects the effects of her singing.

The comedian pairings are awesome. They get in some great one liners and the competition aspect of it is toned down because they keep the mood light.

Jung Yup and Baek Ji Young plastic surgery much?

I hate the editing of the show. I don't get the full effect of the performance because they keep editing in comments and backstage scenes between the songs. I hope they release a CD of just the vocal performances only.

The votes seeme to be extremely close. If you divided 100% evenly between 7 people it woul be 14.2%ish. So, the difference between 1 and 7 is probably only a couple votes here and there.

I just wanted to reply to the thread to state a different opinion I may be sharing from everyone else.

First, I wanted to clarify that when the rule was altered. All the contestants were informed that they would get a second chance if they were ever to get 7th place. This "change in rule" is also shown in episode 3? (I think that's the episode where the controversy started.)

When I first started watching the show, the survival aspect did intrigue me. However, while watching the first episode, I ignored that aspect and just enjoyed the performances. I hoped that the survival aspect would not hinder or alter the performances of the singers in any way because instead of doing what best represents them, the singers may do what the audience would probably react to the best. Thus far, I think, for the most part, the singers have been sticking to their fortes. Certain singers just have more mass appeal than others. I hope they stop inserting interviews during performances (though I think they have improved in this aspect). Also, I love how they showed Jung Yeop's performance at the end. This shows that 7th place does not mean the performance was the worst.

Anyways, I wanted to put in my two cents about the controversy. I didn't have a chance to watch episodes 2-4 until now, and was a little surprised at the huge controversy surrounding the show. I understand why people have been angry with the show because it appears to no longer be a survival show. The audience started watching the show with the expectation that someone would get dropped and replaced.

In regards to the controversy, I was glad that Kim Gun Mo accepted the second chance. I don't see the second chance as a "betrayal." I see it as the PD trying to emphasize the performance aspect instead of the survival aspect of the show. Accepting the second chance may seem low and "uncool" to many netizens, but I see it as pretty brave. KGM was willing to return to the show where he practically got "humiliated" and try again. I thought this showed his desire to improve and challenge himself. I felt his first performance was just... too... easy (for him). He didn't look that nervous and looked too "sure." However, his mannerisms and conduct changed for his second performance. He had clearly worked harder than he has had to for a while. I liked seeing the change. On the other hand, Jung Yeop not accepting the second chance seemed appropriate. I personally enjoyed his rendition of Yoon Do Hyun's song. It was a very different take on a song I enjoy. He had given his all during his performances so he had no regrets, hence, it was not necessary for him to accept the second chance. Therefore, I think both singers did the right thing.

Suggestion: Maybe allow singers to return after a 1~2 months. The controversy probably started from the fact that KGM received the second chance right away. Maybe netizens will be more accepting of "second chances" if they weren't immediately given.

I hope the show returns because I loved it. I loved just about every part of it. Viewers got a chance to see veteran singers prepare for performances as well as see a more "humane" side of them. No matter how much experience they have, they can get nervous and make mistakes. I loved how they all took a part in remaking their own songs. The show highlighted just what separates manufactured singers from singers. I love my idols, but truthfully, most of them probably do not participate in the production of their songs or setting up of sound systems/stages. However, they are good at what they are meant to be, entertainers. On the other hand, the singers in I am a Singer are...singers or artists. Viewers know they won't be encountering the same performances that populate the weekly music shows. The performances are different and varied.

Anyways, sorry for the long post. I had the desire to write something for a show I enjoy watching. I can't wait for it to return and brush its shoulders off from the controversy. I hope it hasn't scared off other singers from participating. No show is perfect, and maybe the show doesn't appeal to some people. However, I appreciate (ex-)PD Kim Young Hee's efforts in creating a show that is both similar and different to the shows offered these days.

I loved this show, even if I don't know what is being said. I love the delivery and the emotions behind the songs.

I wonder how these musicians feel, seeing idols overrun and take over the music industry in Korea.

Geez, people need to relax about the controversy. It wasn't that serious. The show was just getting its footing, and now they have to go on hiatus. I figure it will hard to get any more top notch veteran singers.

I also think the format needs to be corrected, the competition aspects just seems gauche, it's like asking these respected artists to put all on the line, for very little in return.

Guest Jeff86

I didn't expect anything from the show and it blew my mind!! I wasn't a fan of any of this singers before but seeing them sing live so amazingly turned me into a fan.

My favorite is Baek Ji Young, she gives me chills everytime. Bum So's Jebal was great, I loved that song since I heard Lee Soo Young's version (she would be great on the show too).

I saw the 4th episode sunday night and I was so excited when I saw the episode's length (more than 2 hours!!). But a month hiatus is a tough break, I'm already addicted to the show.

I'm going to see the performance again and again!

Guest timpa

Jung Yup??? Plastic surgery????? Where??? O_o

Baek Ji Young's is soooo obvious, I feel kinda bad >.<

I always thought BJY's went beyond doing it to try and make herself look prettier. I think she tried to completely transform herself to get away from the sex tape scandal. So while I myself don't vilify anyone who has plastic surgery (in most cases I think it's unnecessary and some like say Solbi looked much prettier before) I can even understand and realize why BJY had hers. When she first made her comeback after the scandal she looked pretty much the same (she was 3 years older), but she still received a lot of criticisms when making that comeback... She then disappeared for a year or year and a half and came back looking very different.

If you look at the 2004 BJY she looks IMO pretty similar to her current appearance (she's older now), but if you look at the current BJY and say 1999/2000 BJY... It's almost unrecognizable IMO. (Which I think was her intention)

‘I Am A Singer’ speculated to have made $100,000 USD in a day

by kimchisteve on March 29, 2011 at 3:00 pm

After each mission on MBC’s hit program I Am A Singer, the mission tracks were released on music portal sites and have received explosive attention as the songs have all reached a high position on the music charts. Notably, the winners for the last two missions, Yoon Do Hyun and Kim Bum Soo, had all-kill’s with “I Will Always For You” and “Please”.

This is an incredible feat that most veteran singers couldn’t achieve.

With such popularity, a representative from the music industry revealed, “They most likely profited around 100,000,000 WON (around $100,000USD) in a single day from the digital sales alone.”

Currently the plan is to donate the profit from the sales to make improvements in the Korean music industry.

Source: mydaily

Reprint: Allkpop

This is wonderful news! I'm so happy that some good is coming out of the program!

It's just terrific to see these singers perform and knowing that it's also benefiting their livelihood strengthens the fact that this show is not only viable but relevant as well!

Love to see works from these artists as long as they want to share their talent with us! ^^

Thanks to the show, I'm a big fan of Kim Bum Soo now.

@sPark* - I didn't think of giving a lapse of time before allowing a "fallen" singer back to try again. I agree, I think the audience would be more than happy to see these singers who unfortunately just didn't vibe with the audience that day to try again, given that that second chance wouldn't be right away.

Seeing Kim Gun Mo taking the show and the contest more seriously on the second chance really showed the merits of the program and the power of an audience feedback can have to a performer. I actually appreciated the show even more after seeing Gun Mo really put in an effort the 2nd time around.

Part of the thrill is seeing these highly praised singers having to "defend" the accolades given to them. But by having these singers try different styles as well as songs out of their comfort zone made me appreciate the singers who made it a hit, also see more of a singer's "color" as well.

I always thought BJY's went beyond doing it to try and make herself look prettier. I think she tried to completely transform herself to get away from the sex tape scandal. So while I myself don't vilify anyone who has plastic surgery (in most cases I think it's unnecessary and some like say Solbi looked much prettier before) I can even understand and realize why BJY had hers. When she first made her comeback after the scandal she looked pretty much the same (she was 3 years older), but she still received a lot of criticisms when making that comeback... She then disappeared for a year or year and a half and came back looking very different.

If you look at the 2004 BJY she looks IMO pretty similar to her current appearance (she's older now), but if you look at the current BJY and say 1999/2000 BJY... It's almost unrecognizable IMO. (Which I think was her intention)

Can you post a before and after, I don't see any difference in BJY

Guest Jeff86

Are we really talking about this in this thread? What's the point? Nobody cares about her tape and her surgery, this thread is for discussing the show, come on!

Guest timpa

Are we really talking about this in this thread? What's the point? Nobody cares about her tape and her surgery, this thread is for discussing the show, come on!

It's about people on the show so it's part of the show IMO. If they show a performance/clip of a song from 10 years ago and then we talk about that or how they looked 10 years ago is that any different? In fact it's what I believe originated this line of discussion. I have no interest in going back into her past, but at the same time if someone is going to be critical of her for changing the way she looked I will (and did) offer my opinion as to why that had happened.

I agree that it doesn't need to be continued on and if anyone wants more information about pictures or anything just use google. None if it impacts how she sings (or sung). Although I think audibly you can hear her voice has gotten a bit deeper, which is natural as you age and for a lot of singers due to overworking their voice... Although she also had a cold at the time which definitely added to things.

Archived