[Variety] Survival I Am A Singer 서바이벌 나는 가수다

Guest chopper!

Guest timpa

I think the format of this show is kind of wrong and I was half-expecting this week it would have been corrected.

When

Kim Gun Mo

was the lowest rank I expected it to be revealed that they weren't being removed and that the lowest rated getting removed each week was a lie. That this would actually be a true competition between these 7 singers to test their ability to complete missions and at the end of the shows run to see who was the most successful. Using a points system where 1st place gets the most points for that week and last gets the lowest.

I just don't understand how theoretically under the system where the lowest is replaced how someone 'wins' this show. You could wind up with someone joining the show in the last couple of weeks and beat a singer who 'survived' from this first group of 7. Which doesn't seem fair at all to me.

As for the performances in this episode. Lena Park is probably my favorite among the 7 singers in this show although I also really like Baek Ji-Young and Kim Bum Soo. But I felt like Lena Park had maybe the weakest performance out of all of them in this episode. Her voice seemed really shaky and I didn't feel like the back-up singers fit well into the song.

Yoo Doo Hyun and Kim Bum Soo were my favorite two performances this week. I think both of them really converted the songs they got to their style perfectly.

I also totally agree about how they're inserting interview clips into the singing performances. I *HATE* it. I wish they'd put it after the performance airs. The show is 1.5 hrs long. They have plenty of time to show each performance uncut and UNINTERRUPTED and then have the interview clips after the performance.

Also one other gripe. I have no idea why the comedians are here as Managers. They don't really seem to serve much purpose to me. I think the singers get along better with each other so I prefer watching them interact then seeing MC's/Gagmen even though I like a lot of them and watch shows that they're on, I just don't think they're needed on this show.

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest Gsus86

my personal fav is still BJY this week <3 ah love it~ Kim bum soo&YB too~thats my top 3 this week~i cursed at my screen when the PD inserted a clip of kimbumsoo talking in the middle of him SINGING! seriously,was that even necessary??? well i could understand when he inserted clips of the singer talking about the song/feelings during the songs bridge(its a variety show after all),but DURING their SINGING?are u EFFIN serious? i cursed again upon rewatching~ seriously someone needs to tell the PD its WRONG to do that~ T_T 

Well, MBC seems to be releasing a digital album of all the songs performed on the elimination round, so you can listen to the songs again without interviews in the songs (see also my earlier post). I just listened to the songs online and they are great.

I think the format of this show is kind of wrong and I was half-expecting this week it would have been corrected.

When

Kim Gun Mo

was the lowest rank I expected it to be revealed that they weren't being removed and that the lowest rated getting removed each week was a lie. That this would actually be a true competition between these 7 singers to test their ability to complete missions and at the end of the shows run to see who was the most successful. Using a points system where 1st place gets the most points for that week and last gets the lowest.

I just don't understand how theoretically under the system where the lowest is replaced how someone 'wins' this show. You could wind up with someone joining the show in the last couple of weeks and beat a singer who 'survived' from this first group of 7. Which doesn't seem fair at all to me.

As for the performances in this episode. Lena Park is probably my favorite among the 7 singers in this show although I also really like Baek Ji-Young and Kim Bum Soo. But I felt like Lena Park had maybe the weakest performance out of all of them in this episode. Her voice seemed really shaky and I didn't feel like the back-up singers fit well into the song. 

i agree~ they shouldnt have put it a "survival show" and the PD is saying that dont think it as elimination,think of it as giving way to other singers to give you a better stage or something like that T_T i really think the PD should hire someone to talk for him T_T 

and yes i actually agree~ i actually think that if KGM didnt do the lipstick performance that the audience didnt like,lena park would probably be the one to go this week~she was strong last week,but this week it just doesnt seem to deliver~ but then that is just my opinion~

Also one other gripe. I have no idea why the comedians are here as Managers. They don't really seem to serve much purpose to me. I think the singers get along better with each other so I prefer watching them interact then seeing MC's/Gagmen even though I like a lot of them and watch shows that they're on, I just don't think they're needed on this show.

i acutally think the comedians were a great addition to the show~ other than them assisting the singers,it helps the show not to be so dull plus help the singers to not be so nervous and all~since this is not just a music show,its a variety,their addition is actually OK IMO~ its a great thing to hav someone beside you when ur nervous and all~plus they are good with them~ 

Well, MBC seems to be releasing a digital album of all the songs performed on the elimination round, so you can listen to the songs again without interviews in the songs (see also my earlier post). I just listened to the songs online and they are great.

ah yes i did noticed~ but just listening is a different experience than having visuals as well~ the dancer that kimbum soo brought does bring out stage presence and all,it wasnt exactly necessary but it was a great addition to the change he made to the song~ hearing the YB band do the ending just on audio is diff than the feeling of watching YDH lead them to the end~its totally a diff experience~ i LOVE it that they release the songs frm the rounds and all,really,i think thats THE BEST idea they hav had in this show so far,but i still think inserting any talking clips between their singing is WRONG and spoiling my viewing pleasure~

absolutely against these two.

boa is a performer, not a singer.

je-a...? is that the girl from miss a? she likewise is a performer, not a singer.

i would prefer not to see any idols in this show. not saying that there aren't talented idols...but i think in general, most idols vocally could NEVER hold up to the quality singers that the show has so far.

i like the cast as is right now...but limjaebum or byunjinsup or joyongnam or joyongpil would all be great options.

It's true, MOST idols probably could not a candle up to these singers, plus they probably don't need this kind of broadcast publicity and would be highly unfair due to their popularity.

But nonetheless, I wish at least couple that I know of would do a showcase because I would love for them to sing some more of the classic ballads, such as:

Jonghyun-Heya (Y Si Fuera Ella)

Xiah Junsu - I Will Always for You

And when Junsu was on Immortal Music Classics: 081130 KBS Happy Sunday Junsu cut

I disagree with your take on BoA, because she's been used as a product all we get to see is her pop persona, and recently underwhelming pop music coming from her as well. I wish her agency would let her sing songs like Lena Park, I find they both have similar voices (I've heard both of them LIVE at different concerts).

BoA's got potential to go beyond pop status and reach diva level if only she was allowed to explore singing as opposed to her agcy. finding means to just profit most out of her talent (purely speculation on my part). Take a listen to her part when she was in Anyband: ANYBAND - Promise You mp3

Regarding other idols: I'm not into Miss A and don't think they're that great singers (I begrudgingly finished Dream High and watched their concert...'nuf said.) In the music programs I find more screeching that singing...So I agree that some idols don't carry the caliber in their talent, but it also has to do with "maturity."

There are decent idol singers, but they also have to have a "maturity" - the ability to respect the music they produce.

So even though I do think UI has talent, I don't think she's feels truly feels the weight of the songs she sings. Come to think of it, although one can argue BoA may be like that too, given her long "managed" career, I think her agency has a lot to do with that. Xiah Junsu, I'm a fan because he respects music...Jonghyun, I think he's growing up and gaining depth.

Not quite an idol but probably not grouped with show's class of singers is Lee Hyun. Whenever I hear him sing impromptu, myself and people around him can't help be amazed. Would love to see him on a showcase-like episode.

Anyhoo, regarding ep 3:

Yoon Do Hyun did not disappoint, he made it his own! Damn, I was impressed when he started off with a harmonica, and arranged the performance of the song as if it could be it's own show! It had an opening, a lead-in, crescendos, a this flourish with the whole - it's the kind of performance one talks about afterward.

Truly a well-deserved win! Bravo YDH to rising to the challenge.

Although I raved about Kim Bum Soo in last week's ep (and he was as good as I expected), Jung Yeop shined for me this time. If anything, this show has given me new respect for him. I just know him in Nothing Better and quite honestly, that's not my kind of ballad song. And I've seen him on other music shows but still couldn't see...er...rather, hear what was so great about him. So I was deeply prejudiced against him. Last week, he showed a little versatility but everyone was having such a good time with him that I couldn't tell if he was that good or not - but now, he is indeed worthy.

I am hoping for songs that are more suitable for Baek Ji Young and Lena Park next time. I was hoping to hold my breath in amazement as they sang, but I did so but not for same reason...

I was surprised that it wasn't Lena that got last because I thought the more perky and added power notes didn't suit the song.

Kim Gun Mo - what's up with the lipstick schtick?!?

I was thrown back that he actually did it! But I didn't think it was enough to make him last. I was shocked when it was revealed. I thought he would last and I looking forward to seeing him compete with other singers (namely Wheesung, which I've been hoping for). So I'm glad that he's coming back, but I still felt that it was wrong of the show to let him come back.

BUT I was upset with the other singers and sad, yes, and I did feel relieved that he was coming back...HOWEVER, I felt a bit cheated when they pulled a "Mulligan" (golf term for a "do over") on me...it also kinda cheapen the results of the poll, and KGM seemed already settled with the fact that he wouldn't come back...now he has to face the possibility that he could again be eliminated...a possible humiliation - I don't want that...Well, the show's still new...it's bound to have hiccups...

Guest chopper!

Really nice show, nice songs

wished that the singing on the show would last longer

it seems that the performance of the songs are shortened

too bad that the singing of the songs does not seem to be the priority of this show

I don't understand how the lipstick thing could have effected the result. Is the singing not what matters?

Somehow...I find it a bit cruel to make these singers compete against each other. It is like: which arm would you like to miss? your left or right arm?

about the lipstick thing, the PD said something about how it wasn't well received by the audience. we all know that they can sing amazingly well, but it's more about how these artists challenge styles outside of their element and make it their own. i think the producers label this show as a competition/survival for the viewers sake, i mean, yoon do hyun said on the show that even though they're like at war on the show, they're having so much fun. they don't really see it as a competition. all their singing styles aren't similar and i think it's fun to see them sing songs that's not from their usual style. plus, they and we all know they can sing their butts off.

Guest power_ranger

This show was amazing!! I didn't like the rock singer's first song choice but I really like his voice. And WOW Lena Park was amazing, I seriously didn't expect that from her. I never heard of her before so her intro part really misled me. Her voice seriously has everything, flexibility, range, power.. Baek Ji Young used to be my favorite but now Lena ranks up there too. =D

Other singers I'm hoping to see is Park Hyo Shin and Ann. Their Whole New World duet makes me smile every time.

Btw, I can only find two episodes online and I think the second one was cut off because I didn't get to see any real performances. Did you guys watch it aired?

Guest timpa

about the lipstick thing, the PD said something about how it wasn't well received by the audience. we all know that they can sing amazingly well, but it's more about how these artists challenge styles outside of their element and make it their own. i think the producers label this show as a competition/survival for the viewers sake, i mean, yoon do hyun said on the show that even though they're like at war on the show, they're having so much fun. they don't really see it as a competition. all their singing styles aren't similar and i think it's fun to see them sing songs that's not from their usual style. plus, they and we all know they can sing their butts off.

That's another reason why current idols wouldn't work as well on the show. All of these singers are beyond the current idol world. They don't care about competing for k-chart wins and appearing on weekly music shows, they're not competing against rivals on an almost daily basis. They've all seen just about every side of the Korean music world (and in the case of Lena Park beyond it). They're all comfortable with themselves and their styles and they respect the other singers around them.

I think that's also why the ending to this week's episode was so awkward. They all respect each other and just had no idea how to react when it appeared someone was voted off the show. Which is why I wish it would be these 7 through the entire show and a points system for each week to ultimately determine the winner. It doesn't look like it will happen that way though which is a shame since I don't want to see any of them leave.

BULLLLLLSHIIIIIIIII************

Listen, I understand they all love and respect each other, of course they do. They're all great in their own ways, and I respect them as singers and performers.. but SERIOUSLY? I can't believe they gave the loser a second chance. ARE YOU KIDDING?! And I think Lee So Ra was so unprofessional~ I'm sorry, but they're all adults and they should have just said their goodbyes and went along with the original rules of the show. No one's going to be happy that someone's leaving, but that's what they signed up for.. and to change the rules around the last minute?? .... Such a cop out.. I'm so disappointed -___- Am I the only one who feels this way??

Guest saigon

yeah, lee so ra's known for being very hermetic and ultra-sensitive. She lives in this ultra-exclusive gated community (only by invitation) (that dbsk guy is her neighbor... xiah junsu?) with only around 60 houses or so, and she comes out once months at a time.

my dad's best friend happens to live there, so i actually have iphone pics of her house and that dog that was on the show was just staring straight at the camera. He was one of the first people to move into the community, so per Korean tradition, people go to meet their neighbors with dduk, but he hasn't even seen her yet. Definitely not popular among the neighbors.

But yes, she does have a lovely and moving voice, and definitely one of my favorites.

Guest sunny_dance

i don't like this idea of a consolation round. not only does it defeat the original purpose of the show, but it puts pity on the last placed member, which i don't think he or she would want either. seventh place is seventh place, take the loss like a human and move on. -_-

Guest yeohweping

I am a singer gets comical parody of it's 3rd ep.

2011032178517_2011032198891.jpg

20110321194947_4d872d4b5dbc0_1.jpg

20110321173704355.jpg

20110321173704368.jpg

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/view?cateid=100029&newsid=20110321173704043&p=ked

Guest lucky_moon

Competition 1 songs:

2q0q53p.jpg

나 항상 그대를 - Yoon Do Hyun:

http://www.multiupload.com/TRZ0YZGR6M

무시로 - Baek Ji Young:

http://www.multiupload.com/M9TOEWBMNG

비오는 날의 수채화 - Park Jong Hyun:

http://www.multiupload.com/RJMOSL10N9

그대 모습은 장미 - Kim Bum Soo:

http://www.multiupload.com/RV4SIOQIT6

립스틱 짙게 바르고 - Kim Gun Mo:

http://www.multiupload.com/0134AKORIN

너에게로 또 다시 - Lee Soo Ra:

http://www.multiupload.com/Y2ORTKBO3W

짝사랑 - Jong Yeob:

http://www.multiupload.com/DC4ZMZWQP7

credit to ananasa but reuploaded by me.

Some interesting comments about the latest episode here. I love, love, love Kim Gun Mo and have ever since his 2nd album. However, I think he did deserve his ranking. As for his performance, I wish he went with a faster beat and made the song a bit lighter. Maybe then, the lipstick shtick would have been funny and worked. But in the scheme of the whole performance it was very out of place.

Yoon Do Hyun really made that song his and I absolutely loved Jung Yeob's version of "One-Sided Love". I even liked how Kim Bum Soo made the song's tempo a bit faster in the middle. It made it sound fresh and made him stand out from the rest of the numbers which were all kind blues-y.

It was that kind of thing that Kim Gun Mo's performance lacked that would him own that song as his own. Yes, it was bad luck that he got that song because it is vastly different from his style and tone but that's exactly what it was. Luck of the draw. That doesn't mean he's not a great singer, imho. It was just one bad performance.

Also I wished that Kim Gun Mo

decided to walk away from the competition instead of choosing to stay on because now the rules have to uniformly change for everyone, every week. That's not what the audience signed up for.

Guest BECCAAX

I don't post a lot on Soompi, but I wanted to write on this thread because I really love this show.

wanted to post my two cents.

Some people suggested having idols on the show, but I think that is a huge nono, that defeats the whole purpose of the show. Idols have all of their other stages to perform on, like all of the music shows.

These are all singers that have proved their worth, yet have sort of slipped off the radar, with the huge influx of idols these days. I think that this show is a great way for them to gain new fans, and a way for their current fans to keep enjoying them. It's also an awesome experience because normally, these singers would never be able to perform on the same stage.

Also having idols like BoA, I personally think would be an insult to the other singers on this show. Yeah, she is a singer, but she isn't the same type of singer as these singers. I don't think she has reached their status. It is obvious how much they respect each other, because they know how talented the other singers are, and I think even Baek Ji Young feels weird about herself being on the show.

About the style of the show and its constant cuts into the PD and the other producers and the interviews, I actually like it. It shows that Korea is trying something new, instead of its constantly rehashed variety shows that are just other versions of each other. The continual discussions on why they decided to pick these certain artists and where they see the show going, gives the audience a real inside look into the show.

The show is showing that it is new, and it is trying to prove that it is as real as a reality show can get. I like that the show has changes, and though we might not all agree with those changes, it shows that the show isn't going to get stuck in the same warp like other good variety shows have fallen accustom to.

The PD shows flexibility, which I think is great for television audiences these days.

Guest la vifzetta*

i am really liking this show... i think i am rooting for BJY and YDH for now... KBS is a close third. the three of them showed abilities to try and adapt to different styles... i am kind of sad that KGM was the last, because to me, the weakest link of the 7 (who really isn't that weak) was Lee Soo Ra... she has a good voice, but her performances are all the same. there's nothing for me to watch for?

but thanks for sharing the songs, lucky_moon :)!

Guest yeohweping

2nd mission of MBC "I am a singer" is to switch songs among the 7 singers on the show and remake the songs.

Kim Gun Mo --> Jung Yub's YOU ARE MY LADY

Baek Ji Young --> Kim Bum Soo's promise

Kim Bum Soo --> Park Jung Hyun's My day

Park jung Hyun --> Kim Gun Mo's First impression

Jung Yub --> Lee Sora's Please

Lee Sora --> Yoon Do Hyun's To forget

Yoon Do Hyun --> Baek Ji Young's Dash

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/view?cateid=100030&newsid=20110322144544460&p=mk

Guest chopper!

2nd mission of MBC "I am a singer" is to switch songs among the 7 singers on the show and remake the songs.

http://media.daum.net/entertain/enews/view?cateid=100030&newsid=20110322144544460&p=mk

i am SO looking for lee sora's perf now. lol it'll be interesting

http://media.daum.ne...2144544460&p=mk

<3 thank you so much for the news~ T_T ah again BJY got a slow sad song~ i hope she'll get a faster song next time if she survives the week~ i am so looking fwd on jungyeob stage~i LOVE LOVE that song~ and haha i wonder if lee sora throws a tantrum when she got the mission or does she like the song she got? XD i LOVE her~ she is just so diva~ she doesnt like it,she says straight on and just dont do it XD <3 

Guest Gsus86

I found this article, talking about the last episode (don't read this if you haven't watch the latest episode)

TWO DAYS AFTER CONTROVERSIAL EPISODE, MBC’S ‘I AM A SINGER’ STILL UNDER MASSIVE CRITICISM

The new MBC survival show ‘I Am a Singer‘ continues to be criticized severely by netizens and industry experts alike for its handling of Kim Gun-Mo‘s elimination in its third episode, which was aired on March 20.

The show involves a contestant panel of seven accomplished musicians who compete by adapting and performing an assigned song in front of a 500-person audience. They are then voted upon for a selection of the best performance. Each week, the lowest-performing artist is dropped from the show to make room for a new one.

The March 20 episode featured the first elimination, namely Kim Gun-Mo; however, what followed became controversial. Fellow contestant and show host Lee So-Ra complained against the decision, leaving the set momentarily and holding up shooting. Kim Jae-Dong then appealed for a retry challenge for Kim Gun-Mo, and after an on-the-spot staff conference, producer Kim Young-Hee decided to give him the second chance if he wished for. After deliberation, Kim Gun-Mo accepted, and the episode concluded with private interviews with the other contestants and members of the professional review panel, all of whom seemed to justify and support the decision.

The episode, however, aired to extreme criticism. Many netizens pointed out that the decision goes against the very premise of the show and reduces the purpose of a survival program; others were disappointed by what they saw as “an insult to viewers.”

Netizen said that, at any rate, it was not an honorable thing for Kim, who is senior to all the other contestants, to take the challenge knowing full well that he was breaking the original rules and also preventing the next artist in line from competing on the show. Lee So-Ra has been criticized for throwing a “childish tantrum” and abandoning the set to prevent shooting. One Netizen said: I wonder if it’s appropriate for Lee So-Ra to host the show, if she’s going to ignore her duties and refuse to participate?

Kim Jae-Dong is being blamed for appealing the retry attempt, and CP Kim Young-Hee for making the seemingly nearsighted and rushed decision to allow the attempt.

The entertainment industry is also speaking out. Singer Jo Young-Nam has been cited before as calling the show “an insult to art”; popular drama writer Kim Soo-Hyun expressed her disappointment on Twitter; and tvN Broadcasting Station Director Lee Duk-Jae pointed out that the controversy highlights the underlying problems of a show that does not provide incentives or celebration for performance, and instead focuses only on competition. An anonymous industry personnel said that “seeing stars that do not follow the rules in turn hurt credibility for public figures,” and expressed skepticism about the future success of a show that has already lost its integrity.

Kim Young Hee, who is a star producer with several hit shows under his belt, defended his actions. He explained that ‘I Am a Singer’ is not about survival and is instead about seeing skilled, accomplished artists perform to the very best of their ability. In that vein, Kim’s second attempt will be another opportunity for viewers to see the very best that Kim has to give. He also said that it was a way for the contestants and staff to deal with the shock of having someone eliminated for the first time, citing similar second-attempt mechanisms in rookie audition shows. However, these remarks resulted in even more backlash, with people questioning the point of having elimination as part of the show in the first place.

The negative press seems to be spreading day by day; there is currently an online petition at Daum Agora demanding the replacement of the show’s staff, and similar demands for Lee So-Ra and Kim Gun-Mo to be booted from the show. ‘I Am a Singer’ has already gathered numerous nicknames ridiculing the decision, such as ‘I Am a Retrying Singer’, ‘I Am an Elder’, and ‘Infinity Challenge on Saturdays, Infinite Challenges on Sundays’.

On the other hand, since eliminations are voted on every week by a general audience of 500, some expect that Kim will again be voted last anyway. No matter what happens, it seems clear that everyone involved in the decision to give Kim Gun-Mo a second chance has taken a serious hit to his or her reputation, along with the show itself.

Source

Archived