Quantcast
Guest cherrie12

Double Eyelid Surgery Thread

On 24/1/2016 at 7:05 PM, destiny3 said:

Hi everyone, 

I have planned to go to Korea next month in Feb, I am worried now as I did get help from docfinderkorea but someone said that they might actually charge extra at the specific clinic for suggesting a client. I hope that isn't true but I can now understand if it is. I have decided to go to Banobagi since Sunny Dahye got her eyes done there and they look so amazing and natural. I truly hope they will do a good job on me because I am doing a revision and I want to stop feeling so depressed about my current eyes now from the previous horrible surgery. 

I will keep updates on how everything is going. So nervous because I don't know how to speak Korean or know anyone there. 

I love Sunnydaehye's eyes, the Dr really did a great job! Good luck ! You can download app on Google play (I believe in apple they have it too), learn korean apps. Banobagi has a english-korean translator. I saw on Sunny's video. 

I want to go to South Korea too, but only to visit,explore... Plastic surgery is too expensive , I rather use the money to travel.

@Incognito1200 Great correction ! It looks very even. The issue for me is I must go overseas if I want to get my eyes done, there is no good plastic surgeon in my city. 

Edit: Sorry for the double post.

Edited by MissAria

Hi all - I went to S. Korea and got DES and magic epi with Dr. Kwon at Teuim based on the reviews and recommendations posted here. Thanks for all the information. If anybody else has gone to Teuim for their eyelids, please let me know how your recovery went! I am afraid my crease is too high despite the fact that I'm only on day 12 of my recovery, so swelling is to be expected. How much did your crease go down in size over time?

13 hours ago, charleebrown said:

Hi all - I went to S. Korea and got DES and magic epi with Dr. Kwon at Teuim based on the reviews and recommendations posted here. Thanks for all the information. If anybody else has gone to Teuim for their eyelids, please let me know how your recovery went! I am afraid my crease is too high despite the fact that I'm only on day 12 of my recovery, so swelling is to be expected. How much did your crease go down in size over time?

Hi Charleebrown,

I also got my surgery done at Teuim back in May 2015. I had fat graft, kind of parallel lids, epi and undereye fat graft done. I have yet to post my review on here as I've been busy and thought I'd give my eyes enough time to settle but I will get around to it soon as I feel slightly annoyed about mine.

About your height, in 3 months time your swelling will go down significantly, I think it will look better and more natural if you give it a few months. Mine went down by 3x the size I'd say and now they look like my own.

It's hard to write a summary without scaring people off...I just want to say firstly, perhaps I wouldn't recommend Dr Kwon on this basis:
1. If it is a late night surgery and his perhaps stressed and tired
2. You are asking for something a little more complicated i.e. parallel eyelids. I think Dr. Kwon would be fine for tapered lids as it's what most girls ask for. 
...I'd like to just mention here that I have strong thick white scars around my epi and inner lids where the knife had cut and there were stitches. They showed up almost 2 days after my stitches were removed when I had cleaned away all the gunk and stuff. It can be covered with makeup (thank God) but that's not the point! My surgery at the time felt very complicated and I came out the surgery with big bruised eyes immediately. My eyes had swelled so badly during surgery I guess it made stitching etc. very hard to do. 5 months later they now look fine, I feel 100x more confident than before (and prettier). As they are man made lids and my eyes were naturally uneven, one lid is slightly more curved than the other but I can accept that at least but what I can't accept was how quickly my eyes scarred.

Would anyone here know why this happened?  

On that note - the staff were very kind and supportive and I didn't feel pain, just uncomfortable because my face had turned into a balloon. I did take a couple shots (2 rounds to be exact) around the eye later to reduce the swelling but it did nothing. With all the research and pictures I've seen...not many people looked as bad as I did when I came out of the surgery but I did not panic. I expected it...almost. How it healed mattered more to me and it WILL heal if you follow post care procedure. It just took me a very long time...but I can't help but write this 'summary' (I know it's hella long) feeling a bit upset.

I'm probably a rare story but please don't try to stop me from telling my side of things and don't try to fully blame me for my scars. Everybody deserves to tell their surgery story and help others make an informed decision about how and who they will go to for surgery. No surgery clinic has 10 out of 10 reviews every time! And we are all different from one another!

6 hours ago, Milkeu Milkeu said:

Hi Charleebrown,

I also got my surgery done at Teuim back in May 2015. I had fat graft, kind of parallel lids, epi and undereye fat graft done. I have yet to post my review on here as I've been busy and thought I'd give my eyes enough time to settle but I will get around to it soon as I feel slightly annoyed about mine.

About your height, in 3 months time your swelling will go down significantly, I think it will look better and more natural if you give it a few months. Mine went down by 3x the size I'd say and now they look like my own.

It's hard to write a summary without scaring people off...I just want to say firstly, perhaps I wouldn't recommend Dr Kwon on this basis:
1. If it is a late night surgery and his perhaps stressed and tired
2. You are asking for something a little more complicated i.e. parallel eyelids. I think Dr. Kwon would be fine for tapered lids as it's what most girls ask for. 
...I'd like to just mention here that I have strong thick white scars around my epi and inner lids where the knife had cut and there were stitches. They showed up almost 2 days after my stitches were removed when I had cleaned away all the gunk and stuff. It can be covered with makeup (thank God) but that's not the point! My surgery at the time felt very complicated and I came out the surgery with big bruised eyes immediately. My eyes had swelled so badly during surgery I guess it made stitching etc. very hard to do. 5 months later they now look fine, I feel 100x more confident than before (and prettier). As they are man made lids and my eyes were naturally uneven, one lid is slightly more curved than the other but I can accept that at least but what I can't accept was how quickly my eyes scarred.

Would anyone here know why this happened?  

On that note - the staff were very kind and supportive and I didn't feel pain, just uncomfortable because my face had turned into a balloon. I did take a couple shots (2 rounds to be exact) around the eye later to reduce the swelling but it did nothing. With all the research and pictures I've seen...not many people looked as bad as I did when I came out of the surgery but I did not panic. I expected it...almost. How it healed mattered more to me and it WILL heal if you follow post care procedure. It just took me a very long time...but I can't help but write this 'summary' (I know it's hella long) feeling a bit upset.

I'm probably a rare story but please don't try to stop me from telling my side of things and don't try to fully blame me for my scars. Everybody deserves to tell their surgery story and help others make an informed decision about how and who they will go to for surgery. No surgery clinic has 10 out of 10 reviews every time! And we are all different from one another!

Dear Milkeu Milkeu - thank you so much for sharing! I am glad to hear that the crease goes down significantly but now I am a bit concerned about the scars around the epi site. I didn't notice anything immediately after the stitches were removed like in your situation but I can tell the area is still hard and a bit bumpy. Hopefully this will go away in time as I know scars take a while to resurface. I have emailed the clinic and they are responsive. I used Mederma a couple of times but it cause my eye to itch like crazy and the clinic told me to discontinue use and to find Contractubex if it's available... But that otherwise I do not need scar cream for wound healing. I'm going to stop putting anything on the area and see how it goes. Has anyone else used other scar cream products that they've felt worked well for their epi scars?

Funny enough, I had my procedure done in the evening and while most of it went smoothly, I could tell he was frustrated near the end while working on my left eye which (coincidentally or not) was REALLY bruised and swollen. So I was in a similar boat as you. I woke up the day after with the eye totally glued shut from all the discharge so j blindly made my way back to the clinic for them to remove the bandages...and wow I scared myself looking at my left eye! I had sub conjunctiva hemmorhage in the eye and it was purple and red and huge compared to my other eye. I received three shots in that eye over the course of the rest of the week and the swelling and bruising seemed to calm down a lot after about 4-5 days. I can imagine how you felt when both your eyes turned out that way. A very scary feeling indeed!

and I think you're right about everybody healing differently. Dr Kwon admitted that the bruising and swelling is more unusual. I've spent countless hours looking at different people's recovery photos and I kept thinking about how terrible I looked in comparison. However,  overall I am happy wih my results and recovery so far, but can't wait for the next few months to pass quickly so I can stop feeling self conscious about being so bug eyed. Dr Kwon does have a great aesthetic style if you're going for a natural look. I'm glad that I chose a surgeon that does only eyelid surgery because I think this is one of the top most important indicators that determines whether or not there are complications. Not that complications won't ever happen, but the incidence rate is significantly lower when you're in the hands of someone who literally does a thousand of these surgeries a year.

The few negatives I can think of is that Dr Kwon does not speak English well so make sure you go to your consultation well prepped with pictures or with an English translator. I did not and I wish I did but luckily it has turned out ok for me so far. Also because we could not communicate well (and possibly because it's just his style), he did not spend any time explaining to me the actual surgical procedure as well as any potential risks and complications. The couple doctors I've seen have been quite relaxed about the procedure since it's so common, but they seem to overlook the fact that this is STILL surgery and it is their duty to make sure patients are fully informed. Make sure you ASK a lot of questions and even if you've done a lot of prior research like myself, have the doctor explain it again to you anyway.

Sorry I feel like I'm rambling now... But last point on post surgery care, Dr Kwon and his team were excellent in that regard. Being a worry wart, I showed up EVERYDAY after my surgery to have him take a look. Which he did and the nurses spent a lot of time helping me clean the wound as well. Ironically, I felt more comfortable with the clinic after the surgery than before... Haha. Although I would highly recommend Teuim, do NOT be like me and make sure you're comfortable well before hand! Thinking back now and writing this, I feel kind of stupid that I didn't do all these things in retrospect.

Anyway, feel free to PM me with any other questions you might have.

Hello everyone! I'm doing a mini update here because I've been getting a lot of emails lately about surgery and the issue of recovery-esp. during the first month.

Spoiler

20151224_135312.jpg

9 Day Post OP

VS

1 Month and a Half

20160204_193341-1.jpg

I don't think this often gets addressed here but if you are considering surgery it is imperative that:

A- You are in good mental health

B- Are fully aware of the ramifications of what the healing time is *actually* like.

C- Might be optional....but I also am in the belief that if you are considering surgery, that you at least wait until you're an adult before you go through with it. Not only for financial reasons, but also for emotional/mental ones as well. You may find that the insecurities you felt so sharply in your teens, are not felt so deeply in your 20's or older. Fully disclosure-I am in my mid twenties and fully funded the surgery all from my own pocket. By waiting until I was a little bit older and having to afford the surgery on my own really gave me a lot of resolve that I was absolutely sure I wanted to do this. So far, I have been completely happy and over-the-moon with my choice. I look in the mirror everyday and feel a lightness in my heart.

Here is a video that really explains and shows you the actual healing process of surgery. It's done by a doctor and though he's a bit boring to listen to, it's illustrative of how long the entire healing process actually is and what you should expect your eyes to look like:

This only applies to incisional double lid surgery. If you got non-incisional you should be healed in 2 weeks. Incisional takes a LOT longer to heal because they actually have to cut into your lid. 4 months is when you should actually start looking natural and normal. While my pics may not show it very well, I am *still* swollen. Also, if for ANY reason, while you are healing, you feel depressed or regretful about your decision, know that that is totally NORMAL to feel that way. I have seen many videos of women who cry and say they regret getting surgery the day or two right after surgery, but months later (once they've completed healing) they are actually quite happy. I have experienced this same feeling. You are not alone in this. HOWEVER, you should always talk to your doctor whenever you have*ANY* concern. The doctor and his/her staff are there to help you. They deal with patients all the time, that is their job. They can tell you first hand what the healing process should be like, if you're healing normally, OR if you need a revision. If you've been reading my posts, you know I had a complication during healing which was fixed immediately once I notified my doctor.

:D

On January 31, 2016 at 10:09 PM, Angelique D said:

Has anyone had an eyelid surgery revision done by Dr. Peter Newen at Image Plastic Surgery in Huntington Beach, CA? 

I m considering go see him for a consultation for my revision. Have you consult with him yet? 

Hi, I'm going to South Korea to get a revision double eyelid surgery and possibly other surgeries. I'm not sure where yet, but am considering on going to IOU or Banobagi for my eyes.

For those of you who have done surgery in Korea, how did you pay for the surgery? I was told you can pay in cash, Western Union, or PayPal. I don't want to use cash because I'm worried that I will lose it or get robbed. I also trust PayPal, but do not want to use it in Korea, because I heard PayPal's foreign exchange rate is irrationally high. I am considering Western Union, since the foreign exchange rate is so low, but I do not know how safe it is. Has anyone used Western Union for their surgery in Korea? If not Western Union, any other payment method?

Thanks!

On 2/22/2016 at 5:47 AM, TwinkiesYUM said:

Hi, I'm going to South Korea to get a revision double eyelid surgery and possibly other surgeries. I'm not sure where yet, but am considering on going to IOU or Banobagi for my eyes.

For those of you who have done surgery in Korea, how did you pay for the surgery? I was told you can pay in cash, Western Union, or PayPal. I don't want to use cash because I'm worried that I will lose it or get robbed. I also trust PayPal, but do not want to use it in Korea, because I heard PayPal's foreign exchange rate is irrationally high. I am considering Western Union, since the foreign exchange rate is so low, but I do not know how safe it is. Has anyone used Western Union for their surgery in Korea? If not Western Union, any other payment method?

Thanks!

Hi,

Sorry I won't be able to help about the western union but I know other people have used it and it is safe from what I know. FYI a lot of people carried cash including me, if you do decide to exchange just ask if they can give you the biggest notes as much as possible so less thickness of cash to carry around. 

I just wanted to give you a heads up about Banobagi, I was so set on going to them for my revision surgery for my eyes but thank goodness I was reading a lot on forums. On purseforum I found some girls who actually went there and results weren't very good, Make sure you do more research, I ended up going to Teuim and had surgery with Dr Kwon, I am still in Seoul right now and still recovering, currently 6th day post op. My stitches will be taken out in 2 days, oh man I had crazy bruised eye but i religiously put the ice pack on and warm pack as well which has helped swelling go down, i hope it continues to deswell as much as possible, I want to explore Seoul as much as possible inside of hiding away. A lot of people go out and about even after surgery wearing sunglasses even in winter but I'm too shy. If anyone has any questions just ask and I'll respond as often as I can. 

16 hours ago, destiny3 said:

Hi,

Sorry I won't be able to help about the western union but I know other people have used it and it is safe from what I know. FYI a lot of people carried cash including me, if you do decide to exchange just ask if they can give you the biggest notes as much as possible so less thickness of cash to carry around. 

I just wanted to give you a heads up about Banobagi, I was so set on going to them for my revision surgery for my eyes but thank goodness I was reading a lot on forums. On purseforum I found some girls who actually went there and results weren't very good, Make sure you do more research, I ended up going to Teuim and had surgery with Dr Kwon, I am still in Seoul right now and still recovering, currently 6th day post op. My stitches will be taken out in 2 days, oh man I had crazy bruised eye but i religiously put the ice pack on and warm pack as well which has helped swelling go down, i hope it continues to deswell as much as possible, I want to explore Seoul as much as possible inside of hiding away. A lot of people go out and about even after surgery wearing sunglasses even in winter but I'm too shy. If anyone has any questions just ask and I'll respond as often as I can. 

Thanks for getting back to me, destiny3, and thanks for the tips! 

I'm planning to travel alone and I don't speak Korean fluently, so I wanted to plan ahead of time so I know what I'm getting myself into. I'll continue to research if Western Union is reliable or not in Korea.

And thanks! I'm planning to avoid Banobagi for eyes. I'm still thinking about IOU and I'll also look into Teuim! Do you know Korean to help you navigate around? 

6 hours ago, TwinkiesYUM said:

Thanks for getting back to me, destiny3, and thanks for the tips! 

I'm planning to travel alone and I don't speak Korean fluently, so I wanted to plan ahead of time so I know what I'm getting myself into. I'll continue to research if Western Union is reliable or not in Korea.

And thanks! I'm planning to avoid Banobagi for eyes. I'm still thinking about IOU and I'll also look into Teuim! Do you know Korean to help you navigate around? 

I'm guessing this is your first time going to Seoul? This was my first time as well, was so scary but so far so good. 

I don't know how to speak Korean at all, I quickly had to learn to speak the basic at least like hello and thank you, only hard problem is ordering food but some restaurants have menus that include english as well, gotta look for them though and not many i found so far except few places. 

If you have Kaokao you can give me your user and i'll add you, i try to check forums as much as I can but sometimes i don't check or read everyday. 

Hi, I don't think I have the time or patience to flip through all 500+ pages of this forum, but I was wondering if anyone here has recommendations for good double eyelid surgeons on the east coast? Preferably DC/MD/VA area. New York is the furthest I MIGHT be able to travel, but it will still be a challenge to even do that. Reason why I can't travel all the way to Korea is because it would cost way too much for me and I'm trying to get this done asap because I'm almost 30 years old, lol...

I am Korean and I want to have my eyes done by someone who is more familiar with my own eye shape. Definitely do not want to make them look non-Asian at all. X_X

Any advice would be appreciated!

So I got my eyes done by Mizaine(??). In Korean, they're called 미자인. 

I got the procedure done on July 2015. I got my inner eyes cut and had the eyelids sewn. Once i recovered, my eyelids relaxed and looked so natural I was so happy. 

Starting from Dec 2015 they are pretty much non-existent lol. 

Edit: My friend had hers done like a year ago and they are still standing so idk 

hello! seattleite here! 

I just went to get my eye exam and was diagnosed with ptosis, and have a consultation in two or three weeks to look into blepharoplasty to open up my vision (i have a 25-30% loss in my vision due to my low monolids). I have no idea what the procedure entails and what to expect. Is Blepharoplasty the same thing as double eyelid surgery? 

Are there any others on this forum who had a medical diagnosis before moving forward with eyelid surgery? Can you share your situation and what you ended up deciding to do? 

Thank you!

Hi @orangeplanetif you want double eyelids and you have ptosis, you will need to get BOTH ptosis and upper blepharoplasty (which is the same thing as double eyelid surgery) surgery.  Those are two different procedures.  ALWAYS get a second opinion on your ptosis.  I was incorrectly diagnosed with ptosis by 1 doctor, and 2 other doctors confirmed that I did NOT have ptosis, just excess skin. 

Edited by meetandgreet_stv

I am now 2 months and 1 week post double eyelid surgery and epicanthoplasty.  I did so much research before getting the surgeries, and I'm sad to say I wish I was recovering better and that my results were as beautiful as those I've seen in photos (CAN I PLEASE JUST LOOK LIKE ANGELABABY??)...  I got my surgery done in a popular clinic in K-Town in Los Angeles.  I've developed a large hypertrophic scar, which is causing the inner eye fold not to form properly.  Therefore, I look like I don't have any fold on the inner corner.  I've now gotten 3 kenalog shots for the scar, and I'm hoping it works so that my folds become more well-defined.  I'm also still slightly swollen and very red.  I have to use concealer to hide the redness. 

Hello Everyone! Just checking in here. I am currently at 3 months post op. Here's what my eyes look like with makeup-pink eyeshadow, mascara, and eyeliner. Makeup is SO MUCH EASIER NOW. I am very happy! 

I got the incisional method, 6mm, tapered lid. 

20160304_210146-1%201.jpg