Quantcast
Guest cherrie12

Double Eyelid Surgery Thread

Guest csuheunc

Hey guys! I'm back with a 2 week update! How is everyone doing? My swelling hasn't gone down that much. It's still quite sausage-y, even though you can't really tell in these photos. 

How is everyone's scar? Mine is really weird and getting kind of itchy. I'm not sure if I should call my doctor :/
15858461599_54abcdc64c_m.jpg
15422244144_51f8fb03e2_m.jpg

Guest aznn133

@csuheunc Your eyes are looking great! My eyes were super dry and itchy and the end of week 2 so I applied some Vaseline on them and it ended up being fine.
For those of you who had the surgery done because you had a habit of lifting your eyes wider with your eyebrows, do you guys still find yourself trying to open your eyes wider? I subconsciously do it even after the surgery, especially when I talk to people, and it's been giving me really intense headaches. Even when I think i'm relaxing my eyes, the rest of my face feels really tight like im clenching the top half of my face.

Guest csuheunc

@aznn133 hm... I definitely try to open my eyes wider, but I don't use my eyebrows anymore. Did you get ptosis surgery too?

Guest aznn133

@csuheunc i thought i did but apparently i didn't..i think i just need to be more used to the fact that  my eyes look fine even without opening them really big 

Guest pineappleeee

Hi hi!
I've been a silent reader here for about a year and I think I finally ready to get my eyes done! I was thinking about going to Korea for the longest time but after considering the language barrier etc. I've decided to stay here in LA. After reading through hundreds of pages here, some doctors I've found in this area are Dr. Andrew Choi, Peter Newen, Peter G. Lee, Charles K. Kim, and Kenneth Kim. I want to narrow down my list to about three doctors before I make appointments to have consultations. So any insight on these doctors will help :)
I've seen a lot of positive reviews for Dr. Andrew Choi but most of the users who have posted have gotten non-incisional. And I'm pretty sure I need incisions since I have fatty eyelids. 
The couple of people I've found that have gone to Dr. Peter Newen seem unhappy? I think the ones I have found either needed a revision or had lasting scars. And after watching some videos of a beauty guru who got her eyes done with him, I think her creases seem uneven. My mom also has two friends who went to him for different procedures and were unhappy with their results. Maybe he's better at double eyelid surgery though...
I've seen a lot of negative reviews for Dr. Kenneth Kim but @csuheunc just got her eyes done there and they turned out beautifully! So maybe he's a hit or miss? 
And I haven't found much information about people who have done their surgery with Dr. Peter G. Lee or Dr. Charles K. Kim. It seems like many go to these doctors for consultations but then end up choosing another doctors?
Also I've decided not to consider Dr. Charles Lee since his before and after pictures don't really appeal to me.
If any of you have extra insight or before/after pictures you are willing to share, that would be super helpful! I'm hoping to get my surgery next month :)

Guest csuheunc

Hey @pineappleeee! Can I ask what nationality you are? When I was deciding, it seemed like a lot of the people who didn't like Kenneth Kim weren't Korean. Kenneth Kim definitely likes his the eyes he makes to look a certain way. If you're not Korean, then it might not work with the way he likes his folds. 
I'm obviously not an expert, but here are some of my suggestions. 
1. I would get a consultation with all of these doctors. Might as well. Only Charles Lee charges for a consultation (although I probably wouldn't go to him anyway since he doesn't make the kind of eyes you like). 
2. Look at the before and afters and see if you like their folds. I really liked Kenneth Kim's folds and I wasn't particular with my fold. I just let him do what he wanted, and he wouldn't have let me participate in the decision anyway. Peter Newen and the other doctors I consulted with were much more flexible. So if you have an idea of what you want and Kenneth Kim doesn't agree with that, then go with someone else.
3. I don't think anyone can tell you what doctor to go to. Every doctor is going to have someone that isn't satisfied with their work. Trust your gut. 
:) Good luck!!

Guest pineappleeee

@csuheunc thank you for your reply! I ended up making appointments with all 5 doctors o.O I'm Vietnamese so I hope that doesn't affect how I feel about Dr. Kenneth Kim. And yeah I have some pictures and ideas of what I want so I guess we'll see which doctor's vision of my eyes are closest to mine. Hope your recovery is going well! First consultation is tomorrow! I'm so excited :)

Guest suhee00

pineappleeee said: @csuheunc thank you for your reply! I ended up making appointments with all 5 doctors o.O I'm Vietnamese so I hope that doesn't affect how I feel about Dr. Kenneth Kim. And yeah I have some pictures and ideas of what I want so I guess we'll see which doctor's vision of my eyes are closest to mine. Hope your recovery is going well! First consultation is tomorrow! I'm so excited :)

Guest amywan01

csuheunc said: Hey SayTeenie, I managed to find one photo of my eyes. It's a terrible photo, and I don't think it's that drastic of a change, but here it is. Before photo.

I think diet really does affect swelling. Before I even had surgery, whenever I eat sushi, my eyes are noticeably swollen the day after. I haven't been too good about eating well. I'm mostly just avoiding salt. About a week before the surgery I started making roast chicken, salad, and eggs without adding any salt.

Guest csuheunc

@amywan01 Sorry girl! I really don't have good pictures of my before eyes. Basically, my eyes were not very fatty and they stuck out a little bit because I have astigmatism. 
Here's a week 3 update! I still have some swelling and my eyes definitely don't look 100% natural, but no one except other asian girls can tell. It just looks like I'm wearing double eyelid tape and cried a little bit.
15911083918_8af88386ec_m.jpg

Guest shionshion

@amywan01 Sorry girl! I really don't have good pictures of my before eyes. Basically, my eyes were not very fatty and they stuck out a little bit because I have astigmatism. 

Here's a week 3 update! I still have some swelling and my eyes definitely don't look 100% natural, but no one except other asian girls can tell. It just looks like I'm wearing double eyelid tape and cried a little bit.

15911083918_8af88386ec_m.jpg

Congratulations on your surgery. you are kind lucky in my opinion... Im not sure how Dr. Kim does surgery now from the earlier this year, but my sister had to go through second surgery because first one wasnt symmetrical. The left side's fold wasnt same as the right one. She told me she had to go through 2 hours of surgery that was painful. My mom and my sister cried because if she wants another surgery to fix it, she would have to go through another 2 hours of painful surgery.

Guest JeloustypeA

pineappleeee said: @csuheunc thank you for your reply! I ended up making appointments with all 5 doctors o.O I'm Vietnamese so I hope that doesn't affect how I feel about Dr. Kenneth Kim. And yeah I have some pictures and ideas of what I want so I guess we'll see which doctor's vision of my eyes are closest to mine. Hope your recovery is going well! First consultation is tomorrow! I'm so excited :)

Guest csuheunc

@amywan01 Look what I found! Thought I had deleted these. 
15477587374_a564489f53_m.jpg

15914166837_88ebfaa872_m.jpg

16099909075_4fd1af05c3_m.jpg

Guest pineappleeee

@JeloustypeA So far I have had consultations with Dr. Andrew Choi, Dr. Kenneth Kim, and Dr. Charles K. Kim. I have appointments with three other doctors after new years.
Dr. Andrew Choi spent a good 40 minutes talking to me and looking at my eye. His personal preference is a parallel crease but I told him I would prefer a more natural tapered crease, which he said he would do. Overall I had a good impression of him. He seemed to really care about his work and his patients. He office is located in a kind of janky building, but his office was pleasant. 
I walked out of Dr. Kenneth Kim's consultant not really knowing what he was going to do with my eyes. He just told me that I have a slight ptosis in one of my eyes and that he was going to fix it and open my eyes up a bit. He also said he could do a slight epi cut but that it wasn't necessary and that it probably wasn't worth the extra $$. Apparent on the day of surgery (if I choose him), we would meet for 40 minutes before and that is when we would talk about what kind of eye I want. He didn't spend too much time with me during the consultant, but maybe I just caught him on a busy day.
Dr. Charles K. Kim spend a good amount of time with me as well. I told him I wanted a tapered crease and he recommended me to keep it small and to do epi cuts. I asked him about the ptosis in one of my eyes that Dr. Kenneth Kim mentioned and he said that all Asians have a slight ptosis and that he would make a judgement call during surgery whether to tighten the muscle or not and that fixing it would come at no extra charge. I walked out having a good impression of him as well. 
Not completely sure which doctor I'm leaning towards as of now. I guess I'll make the decision once I see the other three doctors :) Let me know how your consultations go!

Guest hellolulu

Hello, Girls. I am new here. I am 25yo.

I want to share my experience about my double eyelid surgery and your experience or any information if you had same problem with me.

I've done my eyelid surgery in Korea 2years ago. I chose this clinic because my korean friend recommend it. And i feel more comfortable with the doctor than other clinic.

He is very kind and very careful during my surgery. And the clinic gave me post surgery service such as clean my eyes and injected med for 3days after surgery. I really satisfied with his job.

Short story, my eyelid getting smaller only 6mo. And completely back to normal like it used to be around 8-12mo (i forgot). And i soon contacted the clinic. And she told me i can redo my eyelid since i have 1year guarantee if things like this happen. But i couldn't because i am studying abroad.

It happened just 2weeks ago (20th Dec 2014) i came back to korea and redo my eyelid surgery for free and now just come back.

They gave me reason why it could happen. Because the doctor not deeply enough made the eyelid, age factor or environment.

The process was the same, but the nurse told me this time the doctor will create deeper eyelid for me than before.

But, now my swelling slowly gone and i feel my eyelid is just the same like 2years ago after the surgery. It really make me sad.

Do you have same experience like me?

Need your suggestion or info why my eyelid could back to normal again?

Guest cocoa

Hi guys!
Figured I should add my two cents since I had my double eyelid procedure 3 years ago by Kenneth Kim. I would say that if I had to do it again, I would have done better research for a better surgeon in Los Angeles, or I would have spent that money to go get it done in Korea (I'm Korean, fyi). I first had my surgery done with sutures, since Dr. Kim didn't want to make any incisions. I wasn't satisfied with the sutures, my eyes really did not look any better. Dr. Kim agreed, so I had a revision (including procedures for ptosis, medial/lateral cut). It's been over 2 years since the revision (I'm fuzzy on the exact dates, it's been a while), and my eyes don't have that sharp, crisp crease. They still have that sausage look. They are also asymmetric, with the left eye having a bigger, "sausage" like crease than the right. It's also obvious in a lot of my photos. 
:( Pretty disappointing for the amount of money and time. My dad always comments on how he HATES how my eyelids look. I know Dr. Kim has the 5 year guarantee, but I honestly do not want to go through with it again. At a follow up consult he told me the left eye would require a complete re-do if I wanted to fix it, and I didn't want to deal with that. I guess one pro would be that they don't look so perfect that anyone would question if I had my eyes done or not. It also helps I wear glasses. 
I'm sure he's had some good outcomes, but I would not endorse going to Kenneth Kim for your double eyelid surgery. 

Guest shionshion

Hi guys!

Figured I should add my two cents since I had my double eyelid procedure 3 years ago by Kenneth Kim. I would say that if I had to do it again, I would have done better research for a better surgeon in Los Angeles, or I would have spent that money to go get it done in Korea (I'm Korean, fyi). I first had my surgery done with sutures, since Dr. Kim didn't want to make any incisions. I wasn't satisfied with the sutures, my eyes really did not look any better. Dr. Kim agreed, so I had a revision (including procedures for ptosis, medial/lateral cut). It's been over 2 years since the revision (I'm fuzzy on the exact dates, it's been a while), and my eyes don't have that sharp, crisp crease. They still have that sausage look. They are also asymmetric, with the left eye having a bigger, "sausage" like crease than the right. It's also obvious in a lot of my photos. 

:( Pretty disappointing for the amount of money and time. My dad always comments on how he HATES how my eyelids look. I know Dr. Kim has the 5 year guarantee, but I honestly do not want to go through with it again. At a follow up consult he told me the left eye would require a complete re-do if I wanted to fix it, and I didn't want to deal with that. I guess one pro would be that they don't look so perfect that anyone would question if I had my eyes done or not. It also helps I wear glasses. 

I'm sure he's had some good outcomes, but I would not endorse going to Kenneth Kim for your double eyelid surgery. 

@‌cocoa

I agree with you on this.. my sister could have done it else where in the first place in la. We should have done more research beforehand.