[Drama 2011] New Tales of the Gisaeng 신기생뎐

Guest fanda4000

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the grandparents and Eo San are trying to find this ahjumma that worked at their house 25 years ago? She was the one who took the baby that was left on the Geum's doorsteps? Could that ahjumma be Sa Ran's dead mother? It would make sense that's how she came to be the Dan Chul Soo's daughter.

So Soon Duk left the child with the Geums? Did she leave a note saying anything? Did ES even know she was pregnant? If she didnt leave a note saying it was ES's child why would she think the Geums raise a child that was left on their front door? Can anyone explain what SD and ES's conversation was about?

Hmm.. from the previews, I think it may be Da Mo's imagination running wild again. He doesn't seem like the impulsive type especially grabbing SR like that...

So the grandparents and Eo San are trying to find this ahjumma that worked at their house 25 years ago? She was the one who took the baby that was left on the Geum's doorsteps? Could that ahjumma be Sa Ran's dead mother? It would make sense that's how she came to be the Dan Chul Soo's daughter.

So Soon Duk left the child with the Geums? Did she leave a note saying anything? Did ES even know she was pregnant? If she didnt leave a note saying it was ES's child why would she think the Geums raise a child that was left on their front door? Can anyone explain what SD and ES's conversation was about?

Hmm.. from the previews, I think it may be Da Mo's imagination running wild again. He doesn't seem like the impulsive type especially grabbing SR like that...

From what I watch with a limited understanding of Korean, I think ES didn't know he had a child with SD. You can see how shock he was when SD said that child is his child. I also don't think SD left note or anything to the Geums when she left her daughter. She probably thought that the Geums (or at least ES) would not abandon or give the child to someone's else.

@ahoxan:  I'm not quoting your post only because of its length.  But, it was totally brilliant! :o

You must be the reincarnation of Oliver Wendell Holmes.  hahahaha   :D

And, I'm with dramaok on the point of not arguing with a BS expert on CRAP.  hahahaha :w00t:

As many of us are conjecturing, Sa Ran may be the missing child.  And, if that is the case, Ra Ra and the doctor's wife will not be happy about it.  They can probably accept Sa Ran if she wasn't such a refine and classy person.  She is a beautiful person.  She is accomplished in the arts.  Her carriage is graceful.  Her gestures are lovely.  Her manner of speech is refined and befitting of someone high-born. 

I haven't heard Sa Ran's manner of speech in a long time.  In certain cultures, people of the social elites, are taught to speak in a manner that pleases and which does not brag or create controversy or dissension.    In short, to speak or answer with tact.  (Ahh ... the inscrutableness of it all.)

And this manner of speaking is perfectly exemplified by what Ahoxan has described in his post regarding Da Mo and Sa Ran.  On that level of society, it is considered gauche to speak directly about cost, money or each other's wealth.  So, they answer indirectly, which can be viewed as a misdirection.  However, between them, it probably isn't a misdirection because they understand the subsequent levels of meaning.  And, any response that is more direct would probably be seen as gauche.  :phew:

And, this is probably why the old couple still prefers the childless daughter-in-law over the daughter-in-law that has given them two grandchild.  :huh:

This is also related to the idea of 'old money' versus 'new money' (nouveau riche).

Ratings for Episode 9 are out. Wow, it raised by 4%...Soon-duk and Eo-san's story last week must have made an effect on the viewers!

AGB Nielsen

Nationwide - 14.5%

Seoul - 16.3%

Ah, I can't wait until today's episode finishes downloading!

- Kyu

Guest perfect

I actually enjoyed today's episode. Although I agree that the beginning few episodes was a little slow, I love the different characters portrayed in this drama. Today's episode gave more insight on how SR(possibly) was taken and raised by someone else. I know there was a lot of rumors going around on how ES wife probably threw the child away, or purposely didn't raise the child, but today's episode showed that the writer decided not to take that cliche route and chose a different path instead. It was also interesting to see how the opinion of the grandmother starts to change about RR. And DM's and SR's fight was expected. I can understand why DM got so irritated and why SR abruptly left. It was funny to see how DM tried to pretend it didn't happen with the text... I'm curious on how the pair will resolve this and am wondering how the grandparents will track down their old housekeeper.

I actually enjoyed today's episode. Although I agree that the beginning few episodes was a little slow, I love the different characters portrayed in this drama. Today's episode gave more insight on how SR(possibly) was taken and raised by someone else. I know there was a lot of rumors going around on how ES wife probably threw the child away, or purposely didn't raise the child, but today's episode showed that the writer decided not to take that cliche route and chose a different path instead. It was also interesting to see how the opinion of the grandmother starts to change about RR. And DM's and SR's fight was expected. I can understand why DM got so irritated and why SR abruptly left. It was funny to see how DM tried to pretend it didn't happen with the text... I'm curious on how the pair will resolve this and am wondering how the grandparents will track down their old housekeeper.

I'd say that the Geum grandparents' opinions about RR hasn't changed.

They... did not have a high regard for RR...

... Joo Hee felt the same way...

... Eo San saw her that way also.

They've made many comments about RR's blood...

... and that it was a shame she only inherited from maternal and not paternal bloodline.

Joo Hee commented that RR was a fox...

... and not in the complimentary "clever" connotation.

Eo San commented about RR's rudeness in speech...

... and noted that RR was not an attractive person...

... and immediately saw that Da Mo did not like RR...

... probably seeing that Da Mo saw RR the same way he, himself, did.

I think they're merely more open to express how they feel...

... now that they have an alternative...

... they have high hopes that even an unknown illegitimate grand-daughter would be better.

I foresee them thinking about Sa Ran and wishing that she was the missing grand-daughter.

... The confusion about Sa Ran's parentage will probably be fairly long...

... ... seeing that only Sa Ran's father knows that she was adopted. :)

I think writer Im won't explore the Sa Ran and Soon Deok mutual subconscious recognition until the middle of the series. :)

Guest kawaiiyuki

only glance at today's episode. looks good. can't believe how dm's dad acted while andre was gone. ha, he was hugging a pillow.

i also agree with ahoxan that we won't know who rs's parents are until the middle of the series and while we're working that stuff out we must likely get some breakups, lies, rejected phone calls and some wrist grabbing. Maybe rs will end up working at the giaseng house.

Guest kawaiiyuki

i'm a little confused with what's going on with the giaseng house. (i'm only up to episode 5)

RR's mom own it but it was given to the head giaseng to operate? So is rr's mom asking her to sell it? But why in episode 8 rr's mom throw a fit saying she's going to sell it?

i'm a little confused with what's going on with the giaseng house. (i'm only up to episode 5)

RR's mom own it but it was given to the head giaseng to operate? So is rr's mom asking her to sell it? But why in episode 8 rr's mom throw a fit saying she's going to sell it?

The Gisaeng house was founded by Joo Hee's great-aunt,

who left it to Joo Hee with the understanding that it would be left to Oh Hwa Ran to operate.

Joo Hee already had plans to close down Gisaeng house within 3 years...

... and already came to the Gisaeng house to tell Oh Hwa Ran to prepare to close.

Joo Hee knows that Eo San does not love her...

... and worse... has someone in his heart since even before marrying her.

During the Four-some meal at the Gisaeng house...

... Eo San was distracted and distant... due to his seeing Soo Deok there...

Joo Hee already suspected that Eo San initiate the Gisaeng house outing in collusion w/ Hwa Ran.

She mis-interpreted the reason for Eo San's distracted and distant attitude during the outing.

She thought it was due to Hwa Ran's presence ... re-enforced by how attentive Hwa Ran was toward Eo San.

Eo San's comments about re-thinking closing and selling the Gisaeng house seems to confirm her suspicions.

Her jealous rage induced her to rant & threaten to close down and sell Gisaeng house within the year.

Can you explain why DM was irritated and SR left abruptly? They seemed fine until the conversation began. Also what was the text at the end of the episode about? Thanks.

Guest kawaiiyuki

The Gisaeng house was founded by Joo Hee's great-aunt,

who left it to Joo Hee with the understanding that it would be left to Oh Hwa Ran to operate.

Joo Hee already had plans to close down Gisaeng house within 3 years...

... and already came to the Gisaeng house to tell Oh Hwa Ran to prepare to close.

Joo Hee knows that Eo San does not love her...

... and worse... has someone in his heart since even before marrying her.

During the Four-some meal at the Gisaeng house...

... Eo San was distracted and distant... due to his seeing Soo Deok there...

Joo Hee already suspected that Eo San initiate the Gisaeng house outing in collusion w/ Hwa Ran.

She mis-interpreted the reason for Eo San's distracted and distant attitude during the outing.

She thought it was due to Hwa Ran's presence ... re-enforced by how attentive Hwa Ran was toward Eo San.

Eo San's comments about re-thinking closing and selling the Gisaeng house seems to confirm her suspicions.

Her jealous rage induced her to rant & threaten to close down and sell Gisaeng house within the year.

Thank you for explaining it.

I was confused about why JooHee was screaming about closing it when it is under head Giaseng care.

What was really strange was how even before they started talking she was angry. It was like she didn't want to be there and head Giaseng forced her to show up.

Felt sorry for Head Giaseng when Joohee snapped at her and said that they're not friends and so she should stop talking informally. JooHee looked really hurt.

Guess JooHee doesn't have any friends. I mean for one thing she lies about getting her face done. What other things is lying about and how far will she go?

Hope head Giaseng does something to stop the Giaseng House from closing.

The following are my thoughts on today’s episode and answer, hopefully, all of the questions:

Soon-doek was supposed to meet the doctor, but she never showed, because she felt “deficient” compared to him, I guess because of her limping (due to one leg being shorter, I assume congenitally). She said she wasn’t “confident,” I guess that she could be a good wife to him.

Interesting was that Da-mo’s father tells his wife to look for someone who’s complete opposite of her for a daughter-in-law, someone who is shrewd, meticulous, and tough as in being nobody’s pushover. And the next scene, Sa-ran is shown as if he is portending a future event.

Ra-ra’s father (Uh-san) works on his wife by telling her that he wishes she was someone who stands by her promises. He tells her that there is a saying that you should keep promise made even to a 3 year old child, so she should keep the promise she made to her great aunt (that she will not sell the gisang house). He reminds her how much her great aunt had adored her. He’s good, because she nods her head with her eyes glistening. No wonder no less than three women are after him, huh?

I guess there was a reason why Sa-ran picked Sa-mo-nim as Da-mo’s name in her cell phone. Ra-ra can be very nosy. Ra-ra asks Sa-ran why she’s hiding to make a call. The way Ra-ra looks at Sa-ran, even after SR makes an excuse and changes the subject, RR may figure out fairly soon about SR and DM.

Da-mo notices in the café that Sa-ran is wearing a necklace that’s not very expensive (about $100. Yes, he asked her), so he tries to buy her jewelry. And I love her response. She tests him out by telling him that they are going to break up eventually (and he doesn’t deny it, the cad), and she tells him that she rather receive something meaningful, meaning jewelry, from someone more permanent. He then calls her mysophobic (fear of dirt or filth) (gyul-byuk-jung 결벽증), to which she smiles.

There was a note with the baby, but it only said to raise her well. No name or identity.

Sa-ran tells Da-mo to change the way he talks to his father. She tells him to think from his father’s perspective and see what his flaws and deficiencies are and admit them to his father. “If you tell him truthfully and tell him what you want…” He interrupts to tell her that he can’t admit anything because he didn’t do anything wrong, and she tells him not wrong, his flaws. He lashes out at her, “Don’t act like you know everything. What do you know about my father’s personality? It’s easy to talk about somebody else’s problem. If it’s not your problem, you think there is solution for everything, right?”

“Can I be frank?” she asks him. “From my perspective, you tend to be self-oriented and want only compliments. When someone says something negative about you, you can’t seem to accept that (graciously). So do you think it’s possible to have a (meaningful) conversation (with you)? How can you hope to convince the other person (that way)?”

She becomes clairvoyant, because he doesn’t take it well. He tells her in a very bitter, angry tone, “You really disgust me.” He actually said, you really make me lose my appetite, which in Korean means ‘disgusting, revolting, or unpleasant.’ It’s a very offensive phrase, and Sa-ran was perfectly appropriate to leave. So when he text messages her later to ask what time they should leave in the morning, I thought it serves him right for her to respond in text, “Didn’t we (just) break up?” <Aren’t we over?>

Oh I just love this drama. Really like the couple SR+DM

My two cents theory for their future relationship :

I don't see them breaking up because of an argument or lack of feelings, but I think SR might do it because of her financial problems. She's too prideful to go out with someone when she's in a mess and will decide to work oin the gisaeng house.

I also think that to get even with SR, DM might start dating RR. What a better way to prouve to the woman who hurt you that the breaking up doesn't matter yo you than to start a relationship with her friend, especially when he knows this friend will gloat about it.

I might be wrong, but I think i'm not far from what's going to happen..

From what I watch with a limited understanding of Korean, I think ES didn't know he had a child with SD. You can see how shock he was when SD said that child is his child. I also don't think SD left note or anything to the Geums when she left her daughter. She probably thought that the Geums (or at least ES) would not abandon or give the child to someone's else.

I actually think that SD did leave a note with the child and ES's wife discovered the child first and hid the fact that the child was actually ES's daughter, just a feeling i have when the grandmother asked the wife if she remembered the housekeeper ajumma who took Sa Ran. If not, Ra Ra's biological father was the one that hid the thruth about Sa Ran cause he wanted to replace RR in SR's place (there was a scene in which he was calling asking to find someone???)

Ra Ra is a selfish person, she only thinks about herself, she's always jealous of Sa Ran's beauty and grace although she doesn't lack anything. I can already imagine Ra Ra will turn out to be really hateful and b**** after Sa Ran returns to her rightful place.

I don't fancy the actor who plays Da Mo, he has good chemistry with Sa Ran (especially in the slap-scene) but his face bothers me a little, they could have pick out a better looking actor. At least i enjoy watching Sa Ran, her face is so beautiful, does anyone know if she is natural???

Ok, I'll wait for the E09 (and E10) subs and won't read ahead, but I just have to comment on E08 cause I watched it yesterday :)

The reminiscence of the love between Eo San and Soo Deok was so sweet :wub: (minus the seasickness :sweatingbullets: ), I must say the young actors really remind me of them.

To be honest, the "contract" between Sa Ran and Da Mo seems rather unrealistic (I think no guy would come up with such a proposition), but okay, it's a drama ^_^

Comment on Sa Ran saving Da Mo's number under "Samonim" - I thought that was because of her stepmom and sister, as they can be curious, but you have a point that it could be cause of Rara, too.

Yeah, while we're on this topic, the fact that Eo San has Jo Hee's number saved under "Ra Ra's mom" is just... :crazy: I know that in Korea, spouses often call each other "appa/umma" but in this case? Doesn't she have a name? wow. Ok, I definitely see that Eo San doesn't love his wife, but from what I've seen I thought that he respected her...

Archived