HOW TO IMPRESS A KOREAN MOM?

Guest Prawn

Eat anything and everything she gives you, Korean Moms, especially grandma's LOVE to make kids fat....damn them... damn them to goodness lol that's about all i know... i'm a whitewashed korean

Depends if they're the conservative/traditional type or not.

Being Korean helps.

Being cute helps.

Loving her son helps.

Eating her food helps.

Speaking Korean helps.

Being able to cook helps.

Being polite helps.

Being open minded helps.

Following her religion helps.

Bringing her something (housewarming gift) helps.

Being thoughtful helps.

Want a longer list?

Be super polite

Help her with anything (dishes, setting the table, etc)

Accept anything she gives you with right hand, left hand touching your elbow

Give a nice gift (a nice scarf is safe)

Show how much you like her son/take care of her son

Guest BukAlan

bring a gift.  its a custom when visiting another korean home.

it doesn't have to be expensive.  lots of people that i know go with a bottle of wine, but im not sure if you're old enough to buy that yet.

in korean dramas, korean mamas like subserviant types... so if you act like a servant and get her to relax her guard you can steal away her son all for yourself.  that she raised for 20 years.  with blood sweat and tears.  i

This is what I could gather from my Korean friend and other sources.

Being polite and respectful is a must. When you eat dinner together, wait until she eats first before you eat! It's not something really obligated or anything, but I bet you'll score points if you do that. Make sure you show her that you're willing to try out different kinds of dishes. For example, try out the ones you've never eaten before - make sure she knows it though, lol. Say something like: 'Oh, I've never had that before,' and show her that you have a good appetite. If you do well you'll probably get a comment like: 'Oh, you eat so well~' - which is good according to my friend.

What's also important is that you bring a gift with you. Something on the safe side (someone mentioned a scarf) that she'll sure like. If you want to come off even more thoughtful, buy gifts for the dad and your boyfriend's siblings as well. Nothing expensive, it's just the thought that counts.

Show her that you're considerate and take good care of her son. Can you cook? I think EVERY Asian mom, Korean or not, will ask you that question, so be prepared. If you can't, just show your determination to learn how to cook (if you really are wanting to learn it).

I think it's best if you don't try to act cute, while you're actually not at all comfortable doing that. It comes off forced and pretentious. Just be yourself as much as possible and do show interest in everything she says.

Also, make sure you boyfriend doesn't take sides. The main point is that he lets his mother know you're a very important person in his life without giving her the feeling that you're stealing away her precious son, lol.

Guest Flicksityy

Bow and be respectful, bring a gift, eat whatever she throws at you (despite how upset your stomach could get), be eager to cook or do the housework (try insisting that you'll wash the dishes or something), act considerate to your boyfriend and smile. ^_^

For start, all Asian moms are alike.

LOL! that wide hip thing is an all Asian belief. From my experience of hearing adults talk they don't exactly believe in that anymore they treat it as a joke and they smts even criticize you for having a wide hip and wearing jeans makes your but ugly. THAT IS ONLY if you have a wide hip. =="

Treat her son well at the dinner table... pour him soup and all that. NEVER sit or eat unless they tell you to. Don't eat too much and eat every dish they have. If there is an elder at the table they'll watch what you eat and how you eat it and how much you eat it. Trust me, I know.

If she's busy with dinner or setting up the table, always ask if she needs help. Don't try so hard, just be you and polite.

Living with my bf's grandma for 3 months does teach you a lot of stuffs. Do not go empty handed, bring desserts or fruits. Safest.

Guest prettyLOVEE

eat everything she gives you, be polite/manners, try to help her out like dishes, dress formally? nothing too revealing or she'll prob call you a richard simmons... those are the ones i can think of ><

Guest junminnie

I'll just go into the eating part a bit.... my family is pretty strict on this. 

-first, don't sit unless they tell you to... also never sit at the head of the table sit on the left side of you bf if possible. 

- Don't eat until his parents, whoever older than you have eaten. 

- Don't lean across the table to get to the food you like. Politely try everything, but if your fav food is all the way across the table... too bad

- eat from dishes closer to you

- three times is the max you can take food out of one dish... then go to another. (just don't eat out of one dish... that's rude... what if they run out and other ppl wanted to try that?)

- no elbow on the table... eat with small bites so you can talk and chat

- Everyone else here is saying eat a lot.... but personally... I don't eat too much just 60-70% full (at a formal table).. as my grandparents put it "you don't want to eat as you have never seen food before) 

- sit properly. don't chew with your mouth open blah blah blah 

- Say thank you to the meal before or after you eat. 

- Offer to help with setting up table or clean dishes. but they usually won't let you. 

also make sure you treat your bf esp well that day! never make him do any work... like get you a soda or get your bag from the closet... 

:) 

I've met my last two s/o's parents. Both of them supposedly really liked me (the last asked son if he was gonna marry me before I get taken by somebody else lols)

Basically it's these things they look for:

1. You need to show intelligence, drive and show you are a go getter, but don't be rudely opinionated (there's a difference).

2. Helpful (help around with the chores, and GENUINELY want to help, not bc you feel the need to help)

3. Respectful (really can't be faked though lol)

4. Take initiative (don't wait for them to ask you to do anything, insist on doing it for them. Go the extra mile)

5. Show you're great with kids and actually like them.

6. Show you're hardworking

7. Show them how much you care about their son. I even vocalised this. But they could tell I was genuine.

Most of these points can't be faked, though if you're lacking, they can be worked on.

Yeah that's about the jist of it.

Guest xLionHeartx

Pretty much what everyone else said but to add.. if you're going over their house bring like a box of Korean pears or something. Just make sure you don't go empty handed.

Guest o________O

As long as they're not the conservative type, you should be fine.

Just bring a gift with you and MAKE SURE that at any given point, it's not just you and your bf alone in a room where the door is shut.

Guest loveletters

Compliment her cooking! And by all means finish it all.

One of the ultimate signs of respect in any Asian culture.

It helps if you genuinely show interest in their family

by asking questions, this can range from absolutely anything

at all. Showing an interest in their culture is a great conversation

starter, it usu. leads to long-winded stories of "back in the old

country..." (well from my exp. lol)

Just be yourself, I highly doubt she's expecting you to be perfect.

Meeting the parents is more of a "let's get it done & over with process".

She will have plenty of opportunity to really get to know you with time.

GL, you'll do just fine!

Depends if they're the conservative/traditional type or not.

Being Korean helps.

Being cute helps.

Loving her son helps.

Eating her food helps. Speaking Korean helps.

Being able to cook helps.

Being polite helps.

Being open minded helps.

Following her religion helps.

Bringing her something (housewarming gift) helps.

Being thoughtful helps.

Want a longer list?

I asked for advice, 

if you didin`t read I am not korean. and I will never be korean. so :| idk what that was for.

and yes I`d like a longer list please, I need every little detail. dos and don`ts. :)

Archived