Asymmetrical Face due to Sleeping on one side constantly?

Guest venus17

Guest venus17

I've read this somewhere, and I think it would make sense.

However, would sleeping on your Right side for example, make your right face flatter? I actually thought it might make it protrude more because our body goes under things like hypertrophy when more pressure is applied on certain surfaces, where it grows thicker and stronger to basically 'support' the excess pressure it gets.....

Does anybody have any experiences, opinions regarding this matter?

Oh, and I wasn't sure if this would be health or beauty, but I do think having an asymmetrical face would be a beauty issue to many people out there ^^;

i'm not sure if it's 100% accurate but i sleep on my left side and my left cheek is a little flatter than my right. also my left boob is a tad bit smaller than my right. sorry for tmi :sweatingbullets: i try to sleep on my right but i end up waking up on my left side

I believe that.

I sleep on my right side of my face on the pillow.

My left-side angle picture looks different than my right side, it's like 2 different faces!

Also, the hair on my right side is thinner than my left side! :(

O yeah, the right side of my face is rougher than my left, I guess from the germs/oils collected on the pillow sheet.

Guest nauticalblue

Well I personally shift around from side to side a lot when I'm on my bed up until I finally fall asleep, but I almost always fall asleep on my right side, and wake up on the right side. The only thing is that the right corner of my lips has a deeper indent than my left, and my... er... my right boob is smaller. 0_0

Guest lovebite

I think this is true, my face is really asymmetrical

like my eyes are asymmetrical to each other, one is a bit lower than the other =[ and i sleep on my right side a lot... wah.

Guest PDURRR

very few people have a perfectly symmetrical face so yeah...but my mom use to tell me that the back of my head wasn't really round when i was a kid because i always slept on one side but it gradually rounded out? lol...my face is flat in general so...i can't really complain about which side is flatter...

Guest leelee.

Yeah, this happened to me... My face is really asymmetrical and I hate it so much! I used to sleep on my right side a lot so the right side of my face is lower than the left side. :(

• 10 months later...
Guest Asiatic_Ecstatic

wow i was googling about this and i found this on soompiXD

I think sleeping does affect ur face symmetry... I noticed that i like sleeping on my left side and when i take a pic, I also notice that the left side is diff then the right.

I dont like it at all so starting tonight im gonna start sleeping on my right side. :)....

or go see a doc in the morning

Wow, I guess it's a good thing that I sleep on my back most of the time.

It's apparently helped in keeping my big fat Frankenstein head perfectly symmetrical all around.

Guest minigakkun

Hm... you all seem to believe this but it's hard for me to believe. I don't think you can form your face by repetitive mooshing in your pillow haha. I wonder if anybody has a link to an official study?

well, nobody's face is perfectly symmetrical.

i thought that sleeping on one side made one side of my face flatter. but i had only started sleeping on this side after my doctor pointed out my back curves one way, so i tried sleeping on the side so my back wont curve as much.

but this was a few years ago.

and if i look at pictures from before that, my face was still the same way--the one side flatter than the other.

i do think hypertrophy in this relation is true to some extent, but not enough to make such a noticeable difference in the shape since it's not like we're putting our face down into the pillow with 500 lb pushing down on it.

i think you're mainly born with a certain asymmetry, and then whatever might slightlyyyy alter it later.

Don't be absurd. Sleeping on any one side does nothing. I read something about a faous pianist, Mozart I think, who tried to tie weights on his fingers to lengthen his finger span so he could reach further. Same thing here, it doesn't work because you weren't born with a symmetrical face, nor is anyone in fact.

Guest jinnysarang

Well I know for a fact that my face is asymmetrical..

I didn't know it until an acupuncturist noticed it about me.

I've been sleeping only on my left side for many years.. since I was in 4th grade I think. Now I'm in 11th. =/

Also, my jaws are misaligned (the bottom jaw is slid over a little to the left).

It might have been because I kept sleeping on my left side..

Does anyone think it's possible that I got this jaw problem by my bad sleeping position? =/

Guest dreamingofu213

Well.. I'm not sure. When you're sleeping you change position, you're face is not still on one side. The asymmetry of the face is normal. We're born with that. But we sleep for half of our lifetime, so I don't really know lol

It may effect your skin though. I keep having breakouts on my chin since I started to cover the lower half of my face with blanket because It got colder. :S

Well I know for a fact that my face is asymmetrical..

I didn't know it until an acupuncturist noticed it about me.

I've been sleeping only on my left side for many years.. since I was in 4th grade I think. Now I'm in 11th. =/

Also, my jaws are misaligned (the bottom jaw is slid over a little to the left).

It might have been because I kept sleeping on my left side..

Does anyone think it's possible that I got this jaw problem by my bad sleeping position? =/

i face the exact same problem as you and my left side of face is slimmer than right side. my dermatologist told me that it might be due to my bite as in i bite more with my right side then left but i realise some other stuffs that made me believe that sleeping on my left most of the time does make the face more asymmetrical. my right side of the body seem more flabby and left side not so. i tried to sleep on my right side but always end up on the left anyway lol. it could be due to habit.

Guest reinlee

I believe this. One side of my face's jaw bone protrudes a bit more angularly than the other one. My aunt, grandma, and my mom all say that when babies sleep a certain way, their faces grow a bit differently.

I forgot exactly what they said about it, but it was something like this: When babies sleep flat, sprawled downwards, their faces are more elongated than babies that sleep facing upwards.

According to them my cousin and I slept facing downwards and we both have pretty long faces, and my cousin's sis and my sis slept normally and their faces are both pretty similar/not as long.

Archived