How to make dukbokki less spicy?

Guest ForgottenReason

Guest ForgottenReason

I'm a noob cook-- help please :(
I wanted to make dukbokki for my boyfriend just to treat him, but he doesn't really like things too spicy.

I know dukbokki is meant to be eaten hot and spicy, but it there a way to lessen down on the spicyness?

I'm scared that using less than 2ish tablespoons of hot pepper paste would kill the consistency, so would corn starch be okay then?

Thank you! :)

Guest mukinsvivi

you could always balance it with brown sugar, and the consistency of dukbokki is due to the starch in the rice cakes not the hot pepper paste..? o__o So, I think it'll be fine if you cut back on it

Guest Tamar1973

I wanted to make dukbokki for my boyfriend just to treat him, but he doesn't really like things too spicy.

I know dukbokki is meant to be eaten hot and spicy, but it there a way to lessen down on the spicyness?

I'm scared that using less than 2ish tablespoons of hot pepper paste would kill the consistency, so would corn starch be okay then?

Thank you! :)

You could go "old school" and make some Gungjung Tteokbokki instead.

• 1 month later...

I wouldn't add ketchup to dukkbeokki...

Look at your gochujang paste (if that's what your using). Make sure it doesn't say 매운 (mae-woon) on it because that means it's extra spicy. Try limiting the amount of paste or gochukaru (red pepper powder) that you're using as well.

The consistency would only be changed if you added too much water, but you CAN add corn starch (I've done it before ^^) if you need to.

Archived