• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest crystalhyl

Hong Jonghyun, "Will continue contacting Yura even after leaving WGM" (Interview)

'Cute virtual marriage with Yura receives generous love from the audience'"A personality that can't express well... working on expressing honest feelings now""Will miss it when it ends"
[MyDaily - Reported by Lee Seung Lok] Model and actor Hong Jonghyun (24) smiled brightly when girl group Girl's Day member Yura (22) was mentioned. Hong Jonghyun and Yura are spending a sweet life as a virtually married couple on MBC's "We Got Married Season 4."
In a recent interview with MyDaily, Hong Jonghyun was requested to pick virtual wife Yura's charm. "She's really innocent and kind," he smiled.
"She likes and accepts everything that I do. I think I like that the most. She's innocent and kind-hearted so even when she's unhappy with or dislikes something, she's not good at voicing it out. Yura's energy is really good, when we're together I become cheerful too."
At the beginning of their virtual marriage, the audience had misunderstandings like, "Hong Jonghyun's too bad at expressing himself," "He doesn't like Yura, does he?" It put Hong Jonghyun into a dilemma.
"I'm unexpressive, quiet and calm by nature so I often get misunderstood. Misunderstandings like 'Are you not having fun?', 'Are you uncomfortable?', 'Do you want to go home?'. Actually my personality's the kind that I listen more than I speak, so I've worked on expressing a lot. Not by expressing forcibly but I worked on it with the thought: 'I've to express what I'm thinking and feeling right now to Yura a lot.' "
Girl's Day's fans displayed some cute jealousy when he tickled Yura in bed and did sweet skinship with her. Hong Jonghyun also mentioned that he sometimes observes fans' responses when articles about him and Yura are up on portal sites. "I thought 'Should I play with her?' so I played a joke. But seeing that I was with Yura the entire day, filming while we lied down and I tickled her as we held hands, I think the fans were like, 'This guy!' " 
WGM maintains to have three virtually married couples through a system of couples leaving and joining the programme. The time for Hong Jonghyun and Yura, who have been in a virtual marriage since June, to leave the show will inevitably come but Hong Jonghyun said, "I will definitely keep in touch with Yura even when we leave the programme."
"It may be a virtual marriage but we became attached to each other as we spent a few months together, and we will definitely become more attached in the future than we are right now. I haven't thought about our ending but I will miss it a lot. Even when the show ends, it's not that we're getting a divorce or breaking up. We would be leaving with good memories and returning to where we were to work hard, so I will try to continue giving her my support. I think when Girl's Day's album is out, I will congratulate her a lot. We will also meet up occasionlly to have a meal together."
Source: http://www.mydaily.co.kr/new_yk/html/read.php?newsid=201410280851491113Translated by: crystalhyl @ SoompiPlease keep the credits when re-posting, thank you.

Guest crystalhyl

Hong Jonghyun, "Want to go on Running Man with Kim Woo Bin, Kim Young Kwang, etc... sure of characters"

[TV Daily - Reported by Kim Ji Ha] Hong Jonghyun expressed his hopes to go on Running Man with his close model-actor friends Kim Woo Bin, Kim Young Kwang, Sung Joon and Lee Soo Hyuk.
In an interview with TV Daily on October 28, Hong Jonghyun shared his thoughts about acting in the recently ended MBC drama Mama, the virtual marriage with Girl's Day's Yura on variety programme We Got Married Season 4, his ideal type, and his close acquaintances.
Hong Jonghyun established his presence as an actor in his 20s with his role in Mama as Goo Ji Sub who cared for Han Seung Hee (Song Yoon Ah), a terminally ill unwed mother, and her son Han Geu Roo (Yoon Chanyoung).
When asked whether there is a variety programme that he wanted to go on, apart from his current appearance on We Got Married, Hong Jonghyun brought up his close relationship with Kim Woo Bin, Kim Young Kwang, Sung Joon and Lee Soo Hyuk, "I think it would be fun to go on Running Man together with my close friends."
He continued, "Kim Woo Bin has been on Running Man a couple of times so people are well aware of his character. Kim Young Kwang has a very innocent side to him and he jokes around a lot too. People remember Lee Soo Hyuk as a charismatic model but what they have not seen of him is how mischievious and boyish he is."
"Sung Joon, compared to how he looks, is unpredictable and spontaneous so I think the audience will find that interesting. If we all went together, we will survive somehow. Kim Young Kwang is the strongest so he will be in charge of strength, and I will, well, probably take advantage of that and run away. Kim Young Kwang and I are similar. When the both of us are together, we play by making childish jokes," he said as he explained their characters.
Source: http://tvdaily.asiae.co.kr/read.php3?aid=1414477891789083002Translated by: crystalhyl @ Soompi

Please keep the credits when re-posting, thank you.

Guest kangchi13

that will be awesome... i'm a follower of RM show (Monday Couple esp.) looking forward for Jong oppa guesting...
want to see his "strength and competitiveness" against the 7 members of RM hahaha.
though he already show it in WGM (for Ahyoung) kkk.

*edited great i found this thread :) thanks @crystalhyl

crystalhyl said: Hong Jonghyun, "Will continue contacting Yura even after leaving WGM" (Interview)

'Cute virtual marriage with Yura receives generous love from the audience'"A personality that can't express well... working on expressing honest feelings now""Will miss it when it ends"
[MyDaily - Reported by Lee Seung Lok] Model and actor Hong Jonghyun (24) smiled brightly when girl group Girl's Day member Yura (22) was mentioned. Hong Jonghyun and Yura are spending a sweet life as a virtually married couple on MBC's "We Got Married Season 4."
In a recent interview with MyDaily, Hong Jonghyun was requested to pick virtual wife Yura's charm. "She's really innocent and kind," he smiled.
"She likes and accepts everything that I do. I think that's the best. She's innocent and kind-hearted so even when she's unhappy with or dislikes something, she's not good at voicing it out. Yura's energy is really good, when we're together I become cheerful too."
At the beginning of their virtual marriage, the audience had misunderstandings like, "Hong Jonghyun's too bad at expressing himself," "He doesn't like Yura, does he?" It put Hong Jonghyun into a dilemma.
"I'm unexpressive, quiet and calm by nature so I often get misunderstood. Misunderstandings like 'Are you not having fun?', 'Are you uncomfortable?', 'Do you want to go home?'. Actually my personality's the kind that I listen more than I speak, so I've worked on expressing a lot. Not by expressing forcibly but I worked on it with the thought: 'I've to express what I'm thinking and feeling right now to Yura a lot.' "
Girl's Day's fans displayed some cute jealousy when he tickled Yura in bed and did sweet skinship with her. Hong Jonghyun also mentioned that he sometimes observes fans' responses when articles about him and Yura are up on portal sites. "I thought 'Should I play with her?' so I played a joke. But seeing that I was with Yura the entire day, filming while we lied down and I tickled her as we held hands, I think the fans were like, 'This guy!' " 
WGM maintains to have three virtually married couples through a system of couples leaving and joining the programme. The time for Hong Jonghyun and Yura, who have been in a virtual marriage since June, to leave the show will inevitably come but Hong Jonghyun said, "I will definitely keep in touch with Yura even when we leave the programme."
"It may be a virtual marriage but we became attached to each other as we spent a few months together, and we will definitely become more attached in the future than we are right now. I haven't thought about our ending but I will miss it a lot. Even when the show ends, it's not that we're getting a divorce or breaking up. We would be leaving with good memories and returning to where we were to work hard, so I will try to continue giving her my support. I think when Girl's Day's album is out, I will congratulate her a lot. We will also meet up occasionlly to have a meal together."
Source: http://www.mydaily.co.kr/new_yk/html/read.php?newsid=201410280851491113Translated by: crystalhyl @ SoompiPlease keep the credits when re-posting, thank you.

Guest crystalhyl

Why do women like Hong Jonghyun? (Interview)
[My Daily - Reported by Lee Seung Lok] Why do women like Hong Jonghyun? Even when I watched MBC 'We Got Married Season 4' and the recently ended MBC drama 'Mama' thoroughly, he seemed like nothing but a 'tall and handsome but blunt man'. However, recently when Hong Jonghyun comes up in conversations, the women around me - no matter young or old - say, "But he's quite a decent man?"
And I met Hong Jonghyun.
▲ "I'm 184cm tall. Until 2nd year of middle school, I was always second from the front."
Since he's a model, he's tall. "I'm 184cm tall." When he was in middle school, his height shot up. "Until my 2nd year of middle school, I was the second or third from the front. In the 3rd year I grew close to 180cm." He has broad square shoulders, and his body looked strong and firm. "It's not that good... I don't even have abs."
The way he speaks is gentle, and he expresses his thoughts clearly and calmly. He may not laugh heartily but he is like a little boy with his shy "Haha" at the sound of every compliment. He looks sharp with his high nose bridge and single eyelids but when he smiles, his expression softens at once. He said he liked his eyes the most. "I disliked it in the past. The older bros misunderstood me a lot. They asked why I was glaring at them, was I unhappy with them about something. But I like my eyes the best now." We haven't spoken much yet but it felt like I was already persuaded by his appearance.
He first dreamt of being a model when he was a student. "I've liked dressing up since I was little." In order to save money to attend a modelling academy, he worked part-time at a pizzeria, and his academic results plummeted. His teacher called him out for a scolding but he was far from giving up and boldly said, "If I don't do this now, I might regret it." That was when he was in high school.
He rode a motorcycle but it wasn't like he was "flying" as they call it, "I liked riding against the wind." This was it, it was like a story from the movie Beat. "There were many kids who rode motorcycles in the neighbourhood but whether they had girls riding with them or not, they dangerously violated traffic signals. I disliked kids like them. I spent time with friends by going to the lake park and buying chicken skewers to eat. I was on the quiet side in school. I played soccer with the boys, and it was a co-ed school but I was only close to 2 or 3 girls." Since he naturally speaks in a calm manner, it was rather hard not to believe him.
▲ "When I see Song Yoon Ah acting, I fall into it... auntie fans are enthusiastic."
After acting in a play during high school, his aspirations for acting grew to be as much as his aspirations for modelling. KBS 2TV's 'Special Drama Series - White Christmas' that gained a passionate following in 2011 "was a small but meaningful challenge." The role of plain and average Lee Jae Kyu was in fact the last role that the entire cast had wanted but to Hong Jonghyun, "It felt like there would be something explosive about the character towards the end." Eventually, scenes where Lee Jae Kyu was not just an average person were unravelled.
In Mama, he acted as Goo Ji Sub the difficult but warm man who watched over the terminally ill Han Seung Hee (Song Yoon Ah) right to the very end. He acted opposite to veteran Song Yoon Ah. He was very nervous in the beginning and there were scenes where he looked awkward but he had no time to learn either. However, he gradually adapted to the environment and only then did he experience the dynamic acting of a veteran.
"When I look into Song Yoon Ah's eyes and we say our lines, really, because her acting is so ardent, there were times when I fall into it unknowingly. It's a fascinating experience where I would just say my lines and it comes out naturally. I learnt a lot. Even just by looking."
His homemaker fans increased greatly through Mama. His fans used to be mostly young girls who liked Model Hong Jonghyun. "It's the first time I received such a hot response through a drama. All the while, aunties and uncles barely knew me. Now, starting from my friends' mothers, even when I go to the mart, they recognise me."
The love from homemaker fans are more passionate than his young female fans' love. "The younger fans waver as they approach me, 'Could you sign an autograph for me please?' while auntie fans just come right at me. They ask, 'You're that guy, right? Goo Ji Sub from Mama?' sometimes there are people who touch me too. Haha." His mother is especially happy about this. "I think she felt good hearing things like, 'I enjoyed watching your son.' "
▲ "Will continue contacting Yura even after leaving WGM"
Hong Jonghyun on WGM is the closest to his usual self. At the beginning, because he is unexpressive by nature, there were members of the audience who wondered, "Does he not like Yura?" He mentioned that it had put him in a spot.
"I'm unexpressive, quiet and calm by nature so I often get misunderstood. I had misunderstandings like 'Are you not having fun?', 'Are you uncomfortable?', 'Do you want to go home?'. Actually my personality's the kind that I listen more than I speak, so I've worked on expressing a lot. Not by expressing forcibly but I worked on it with the thought: 'I've to express what I'm thinking and feeling right now to Yura a lot.' "
I asked whether he would keep in touch with Yura even after leaving WGM. He cooly answered, "Of course," and flashed a manly grin like it was a question that didn't even need to be asked.
"It may be a virtual marriage but we became attached to each other as we spent a few months together, and we will definitely become more attached in the future than we are right now. I haven't thought about our ending but I will miss it a lot. Even when the show ends, it's not that we're getting a divorce or splitting up. We would be leaving with good memories and returning to where we were to work hard, so I will continue giving her my support. I think when Girl's Day's album is out, I will congratulate her a lot. We will also meet up occasionally to have a meal together."
▲ Hong Jonghyun, he's decent.
Born in 1990, he is still a young, 24-year-old model and actor. I think in the future when someone asks, "What do you think of Hong Jonghyun?" my answer would be, "He's quite a decent person." Not because he is tall, handsome, and a top model like his friends Lee Soo Hyuk, Kim Young Kwang and Kim Woo Bin; not because he's an unexpectedly sound youth who plays games, bowls or works out with his friends when they meet up; not because his smile is charming or how he sounds sincere and frank when he talks about Yura. It's because of what he said when asked about the happiest moment in his life as an entertainer.
"When I was of help to my parents when they moved. I'm doing something that I like, right, and I'm making a living out of that something, so when my parents were moving and I could be of help, I felt really good about it. I gave them some money and bought a TV for them, and it felt so good. I actually disliked that when I was younger. To be honest, I often had imprudent thoughts like, 'I wish my parents were rich so they could do this, that and bought me many things.' But my parents, they work really earnestly even though it's hard on them. Seeing that, I became more sensible. I see them working quietly even when they are having a hard time, so I always think: 'I will be a son who supports his parents no matter what.' "
Source: http://www.mydaily.co.kr/new_yk/html/read.php?newsid=201410300845221111Translated by: crystalhyl @ SoompiPlease keep the credits when re-posting, thank you.

Guest crystalhyl

10Asia - Hong Jonghyun's My name is...

tumblr_nevdmthPTi1r1g953o1_250.jpg

My name is Hong Jonghyun.
I was born on 7th January 1990. I dislike getting entangled into the hyung/dongsaeng issue so I just say that I'm 21 years old. But when I'm 30, I will lower my age to 29. Hahaha. (T/N: His birthday is actually 2nd February 1990. His parents registered his birthday according to the lunar calendar.)
I had a cautious personality when I was younger. I couldn't even dream of having eye contact while speaking with someone I met for the first time. When I was in middle school, I expressly tried hard to change my personality but even now my original personality comes out abruptly sometimes and I get misunderstood. Like why am I lively when we are in a group together but I get awkward when it's just the two of us. Sometimes they also ask, "Are you angry?" I guess my mood's to blame, right?
My eyesight is terrible actually. My eyes look so small when I wear spectacles it's funy. Since I can't see anything when I wake up, I remember every item that is in my room and where they are.
The youngest in our family is Haerong, the brown poodle we have had for a year. He was walking sideways while stumbling on the first day he joined us so I gave him that name (T/N: Haerong roughly means "silly" in Korean). He keeps escaping by tearing up the window screen but he plays alone in front of the house and when someone comes home, he gets really happy about it. One time, he left home for 9 hours. He was following me but I couldn't recognise him and thought, "What on earth. That stray dog looks just like Haerong." Hahaha. I like puppies so much I want to open a pet shop in the future. If it's something I like to do, it's fine even if it doesn't make me money. 
There were a few undressing scenes on MBC's Heading to the Ground, ah... I wish we didn't have to film them. Since I work as a model, I was especially skinny and the guys whom I acted with had great bodies. Poong-Chul (played by Lee Jae Yoon) used to be an athlete and his biceps were the size of my thighs.
Maxim (played by Ricky Kim) is really good at Korean. So much that I was surprised. He jokes around a lot too. When I greet him with, "What's up, man," he responds with, "Hi!" When I go, "Hyung!" he responds with, "왜?" (T/N: 왜 technically means "why" but in this context, it can mean "Yes?" or "What's up?")
I can't remember the details but I think I enjoyed watching Director Park Sung Soo's Ruler of Your Own World on MBC. Shin Goo was also in it.
Our director doesn't get angry. He always says, "Shall we give it a try?" and speaks gently. The directors I've met through movies so far were also nice and kind but I think I'm just lucky.
I really respect Ha Jung Woo as an actor. Every time he takes on a new role, there is not at all any remnant of his image from before. It's always new. Sure, a tough and masculine image looks really cool but firstly I want to take after that acting skill first.
M.net once released a flower boy chart on a programme and I was 83rd. The chart had 100 people from all over the world. Isn't that incredible? Hahahaha.
I really like that I could meet and get to know comedians and singers, who are hard for me to meet in my field (of modelling and acting), when I went on MBC Every1's Flower Boy Generation. On the first day of filming, the comedians were so funny I laughed till my stomach hurt.
Since Park Myung Soo doesn't look at the scripts in detail and he is more frank than anyone in this world, I was flustered when we did the show together at first. However, thanks to him I think I grew stronger and I got better at thinking on my feet. He also spoke kind words to me when the cameras were off. When we had a popularity test in front of Ewha Womans University, my results didn't turn out well and it was something I had expected. But Park Myung Soo comforted me by telling me very seriously, "Jonghyun, it's like that for everyone at first. Dude, people only recognised me now when I've aged, and you will also naturally gain recognition as time passes." As I listened to him speak, I thought, "Is this a different person?" Hahaha.
When I was younger, I wanted to be a father at thirty, and if the opportunity comes up, I want to get married quickly. I don't want to have a huge age gap with my children. Thinking about it, my parents did not give me any negative influence. It's important that I repay them that by being filial but I think it would also be meaningful to pass it on to my son.
I lost my wallet not long ago, and even though I found it, all the money in it was gone. I usually don't carry that much cash around and I just had to lose it on the day I was giving money to my parents. There was over a hundred dollars in it. It's a really big amount to me!
I was extremely close to my friends during high school, and there was a friend whom I made a promise with to enlist in the army together. But I couldn't keep the promise because of work and that friend got enlisted alone. I think his basic training will end soon. I told him I will treat him to a meal when he comes out for a break. I should buy him spicy stir-fried chicken.
Source: 깐재규 @ DC Hong Jong HyunTranslated by: crystalhyl @ SoompiPlease keep the credits when re-posting, thank you.

Guest crystalhyl

This interview was originally in Japanese, which someone translated into Korean, and I translated that into English. Naturally, this translation might be my most awkward one ever but I kept the meaning as true to the Korean translation as I could. Korean Wave TV FAN Interview (13 January 2013)Attention on Korean Drama World's Rising Star Hong JonghyunBeginning his career earnestly as an actor in 2008, the rookie Hong Jonghyun has grown to be a rising star who can take on leading roles. He, who has been steadily establishing himself as an actor with his refreshing looks of a model and unstudied sincerity, found time in the midst of his filming of his new project "Jeon Woo-chi", and finally had a showcase/fan-meeting in Japan. We introduce to you a truthful side of the Korean drama world's young hope, who you wouldn't be able to take your eyes off in the future.

Debuted without any preparation

Q. "Jeon Woo-chi", which you are filming right now, is your third historical drama since "Frozen Flower" and "Warrior Baek Dong-soo." Were the past experiences helpful?
It's a historical drama, and it's not much different from modern dramas, but since the actions, horse-riding and way of speaking are different to a certain degree depending on the role, they were of help. This time, it was a little awkward at first but I'm more comfortable with the role now.

Q. You look extremely good in the historical outfits. What do you think?
Hm, I think it's ordinary (smiles). I wore a king's clothes in "Warrior Baek Dong-soo" since I was a king, and this time I wore a warrior's clothes for the first time. The lower ends of the clothing is long so it's inconvenient but I'm enjoying the costume.

Q. You began acting in 2008. What do you think if you looked back on your debut?
I think I was really impatient back then. I wanted to do everything that I could get my hands on. Even if it was something small, as long as I see it as an opportunity, I immense myself in it diligently. Even though I still driven, I don't try everything right away like I used to. I think rushing into something results to an unfavourable outcome.

Q. You must have gone for many auditions. Which is the most memorable?
I remember being very nervous for my first audition. I was more nervous during the audtion than during the filming. I merely followed a close friend to the audition for "Frozen Flower" (Interviewer was told that many good-looking models above 180cm tall auditioned) but I was told that I matched the image of the role and got casted.  It was also pretty weird acting out the dialogues that time (wry smile).

Q. I heard that the filming for your acting debut on "Frozen Flower" took almost a year.
The filming took a long time but I didn't appear much  so I just went to the filming site whenever I was told to. Even then it was my first movie and everything was new to me so I toured around the set. That was when I got to know what a movie filming was about.

Q. It's your 4th year of acting since your debut, if you had to pick a production that was your turning point, what would it be?
"Jungle Fish" left a huge impression on me. It was the first time I played a leading role, and I learnt a lot talking to and getting scolded by the director. After that project I came to have many different thoughts about acting.

A quiet and blunt son at home, like his dad

Q. You took on a big role in "Dear You" a remake of the original drama. What were your actual feelings about getting the leading role?
I didn't have that much interest in it at that time. Whether it was a leading or supporting role, they each have their own characteristics so they were the same to me. However, I did feel pressured about being the lead character because it would be bad if I couldn't lead the story. Before taking each scene, I discussed with the director a lot about what I thought about the scene. If I considered those thoughts alone, it would have been difficult but the seniors and director were very helpful so I got through it smoothly.

Q. You acted as a married couple with Park Sol Mi who is a dozen years older than you. Between older and younger women, which is your actual preference?
I think I'm still the most comfortable with the same age. Whether she's older or younger, as long as I feel like she's as comfortable as a friend of the same age, age doesn't matter to me. If I had to pick between older and younger women, since I'm not good at looking after people, I will pick older women. It feels like even if I don't do anything, they will take care of themselves well (smiles).

Q. What's your ideal type?
When I see that a woman is nice and have an innocent side to her, she looks good to me. For example, I like animals so when I see poor animals along the streets, I feed them. I like kind people like that. I also think that first impressions are very important. If my first impression of someone is not good, I can't get rid of that impression. That's why I like it when I see someone I meet for the first time treating the people around her sincerely. When I see someone like that, I want to treat him/her the same way.

Q. I heard that you're the youngest of your siblings. How are you as a son and younger brother at home?
I'm quiet and blunt towards my parents and older sister at home. I'm originally someone who doesn't really express my feelings, so I don't talk about myself much to anyone. To be honest, my father is like that too (wry smile). That's why I think my personality is like my father's. My mother is incredibly cheerful. My older sister is also more cheerful than me. However, even though I'm this way, I have gotten a lot better since my schooling days (wry smile). Even then I think my mother is still disappointed about it. As for looks, I resemble half of each of my parents. If I have to pick, I think I resemble my mother.

Q. Are your parents happy about you appearing on TV?
Yes. Every time I'm on TV, they send me text messages and give their support.

Q. But you have moved out of home.
Since I'm working, I live with someone from the company. But during my off days or when I have the time, I return home to show my face and eat my mother's cooking. I have never said things like "I don't like it at home!" when I moved out either. I moved out simply because it would be more efficient for my job.
Q. Are you good with housekeeping?
No, I'm not really good at it. The bro I live with is good at it (smiles).

Studying Japanese for future prospects

Q. What type of person are you when with friends?
I'm the type who accepts my friends advice well. We also like to joke around and play boisterously. We are not wary of each other and when I'm with friends, I don't not act cutely around them (smiles).

Q. During your showcase in Japan, Big Bang's T.O.P video message was shown. How did the both of you come to know each other?
I have a few friends who have been close to T.O.P for a long time, so I hung out with them a couple of times and we naturally got to know each other. He treats me very well. He also recorded that message personally. I think the people who attended the showcase liked it more than my appearance (smiles).

Q. You said watching movies is your hobby, so which movie recently left a deep impression on you?
The last movie I watched at a cinema was Lee Byunghun's "The Man Who Became King." It was very interesting. I enjoy watching movies but I don't really have the time to do so recently.

Q. You said some time ago that you were studying Japanese. What was your motivation?
I have an interest in languages. I think whether it's English or Japanese, it will be useful to know in the future, so I started learning it because I wanted to. Was it before the filming for "Dear You" began... I went for many lessons but filming began and it was really hard to arrange for lessons. I just forgot about it as time went by (wry smile). I can't remember it for long if I don't practise reading and writing every day.

Q. How did you learn it?
I took private lessons from a teacher. I learnt it from a Japanese exchange student who was introduced to me by someone good in Japanese. But that person had to return to Japan and I was busy with filming, so that was it (wry smile). I used to be able to have basic conversations but now, even if I heard the words I had learnt before, I can't remember anything.

Q. Do you have interest in Japanese movies or dramas?
After filming "Dear You" I watched the original Japanese version. It was shown in Japan quite a long time ago, right? After watching it I thought it was quite different from Korean dramas. Japan is near Korea but the sentiments are different, so I found it interesting and there was a lot to learn. When I have the chance I want to watch a different drama.

Q. What was year 2012 like and how would you like year 2013 to be?
I like that I had many things to do in 2012. It was busy but I had good luck and many opportunities. I like that I had neverending work. I think it will be a memorable year. This coming year, I wish to work like last year too but even if there's a bit of free time, I want to think of it positively to study and use that time productively. Last year was so frantic that I haven't thought about what I wanted to do this year. If there's a chance to, I want to go on a trip. I also want to do better at acting this year!

JPN-KRN Translation: DC Hong Jong HyunKRN-ENG Translation by: crystalhyl @ SoompiPlease keep the credits when re-posting, thank you.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest crystalhyl

[TF Interview] Hong Jonghyun "I like the nickname 'Younger Man'...
acting a broken character is okay too."

[The Fact | Reporter Kim Kyung Min] Model turned actor. Outstanding tall height and 'Cold City Man' aura from the haughty expressions on runways come to mind just by looking at these words. Actor Hong Jonghyun (24) too is one of the model-turned-actors with sharp features and handsome young looks. But through a pure-hearted character who loved like a sunflower on MBC drama "Mama," he captured the hearts of the audience.

Hong Jonghyun, who recently had a breakthrough in his image with "Mama," came to meet us at The Fact's office. It was obvious at the interview that he was tired from filming MBC variety programme "We Got Married" right after finishing a drama as the man who quietly protected the terminally ill Han Seung Hee (played by Song Yoon Ah). But he immediately expressed his delight about finishing "Mama" when asked about it.

"It was a project that I worried about before filming began and I'm glad that it ended well. Only younger people knew who I was in the past but even aunties and uncles recognise me at the mart now so I'm grateful. My mother also said that she received many phonecalls from her friends who told her, 'I'm enjoying the drama.' "

Even though he shone in previous works on TV through dramas "Wild Romance," "Jeon Woo-chi," "Dating Agency: Cynaro," etc., it was through "Mama" that he established a bigger presence. After acting in roles that were mainly handsome, quiet and cool-headed, he played a warm man who loved Han Seung Hee like a fool in "Mama." 

"It's not that I purposely chose cool characters but I think those kind of characters were offered to me because of my image as a model. "Mama" was a drama with a heavy atmosphere but Goo Ji Sub was an imprudent character that smiled brightly. Such character is difficult. It's differs from my personality but if I avoid it because it's difficult, I will never be able to do it. I can have fun playing broken characters in the future too."

Hong Jonghyun is 17 years younger than Song Yoon Ah, who played Han Seung Hee the woman he loved with utmost sincerity in the drama. Away from the cameras, Song Yoon Ah is the wife of someone and a child's mother. Only then did Hong Jonghyun felt the difference from Song Yoon Ah. He also revealed his desire over the nickname "Younger Man."

"Song Yoon Ah didn't usually say anything that made me feel the age difference. There are many married people around me so I didn't feel anything when she spoke about her husband but when she spoke about her child growing up, I think, 'So there is a difference.' I like 'Younger Man.' Someone in his late 20s can't be a 'Younger Man,' right. I can't if I were older. It's fine because I'm still young. (Laugh) I want to become a cool person even when I'm in my 30s."

In the drama, Goo Ji Sub and Han Seung Hee also had a large age difference. Goo Ji Sub even extended his devoted love to Han Seung Hee's son. Hong Jonghyun too thinks that there is no wall too climb in love.

"It's 'If I like her, ding!' for me. Older, younger, same age? I've never strongly compared between them but rather than age difference, the difference in temperament is important. I am not someone who is sweet and sensitive to my girlfriend but I don't grumble or get angry easily. I try to take care of her a lot and help her as much as I can. I'm the type to date comfortably like a friend."

He is also experiencing a virtual marriage life with Girl's Day's Yura on "We Got Married." In "Mama" he was a matured man who had a ceremony to exchange vows in order to protect someone. The two programmes changed his views about marriage.

"Before going on 'We Got Married' I thought there would be a drastic change in something when I get married. I also felt burdened from needing to be more capable. But now I think it would be nice to have a lovey dovey marriage life like a couple dating. A marriage like dating. Around my early 30s? I wanted to marry early because I don't want to have a large age difference from my children. I want to be a father who's like a friend."

He, who is inclined to dating comfortably like a friend and a marriage like dating, is extremely shy around strangers. So much so that the people around him were surprised by the wide varience in his personality when he opened up to them. 

"Since I don't speak much and I'm shy around strangers, there are many sides to me. I'm very relaxed when I'm with my close friends. I want to show these sides of me in projects but I don't have that experience and it's difficult so it troubles me. I wish to freely show myself being sly one moment then timid another moment through different characters. I can't possibly be good at everything but I feel the charms of characters that I haven't tried. I will find something that I'm good at as I try, and as I get used to it, it will become my weapon. By accumulating such experiences, it will benefit me when I grow as an actor, right?"

Source: The Fact
Translated by: crystalhyl @ Soompi

Guest crystalhyl

[Post-TF Interview] Hong Jonghyun,when should we have the next interview?

[The Fact | Reporter Kim Kyung Min] We had a simulation of the interview before meeting Hong Jonghyun. He would exude a strong charisma even when he stayed still with the poker face we often see in his photoshoots and pictorials. We expected him to answer cooly even when speaking with us. However, he was not what we had expected at all when we met recently at The Fact's office, and we even made a promise(?) to meet again.

Hong Jonghyun spoke every word of his cautiously, and thought every answer carefully before speaking. Just then, an unexpected incident occured where he could not answer a few questions clearly. They were not questions that were asked abruptly but topics that were brought up out of curiosity as we discussed about MBC drama "Mama" and variety programme "We Got Married." To briefly put it, they were questions such as is he closer to the "bad boy" or "good man" type, what is his ideal type, etc.

Seeing how he found it difficult to answer these two questions, we tweaked the question a little, "If it's difficult to explain your ideal type, then do you have a deal breaker with regards to your criterion of the opposite sex?"

Hearing that, Hong Jonghyun smiled as he said, "My deal breaker... she just has to be a woman!" Out of all the questions that the interviewer asked, it took him the shortest time to answer this question. He immediately clarified that it was a joke and seeing him smile, the reporter followed suit and ended up bursting in laughter.

Having seen on TV how shy he is around strangers, we were all the more thankful for the jesting.

"I do take very long to get close to people but once I open up, people feel surprised. I talk more, joke around a lot and laugh more. When someone becomes a friend, I try to treat him well no matter what. I spend time alone pretty well. I play with toys and like to ride motorcycles too."

"I don't like telling people about my issues like, 'I'm feeling vexed because of this.' I should know how to do so but I'm not used to it. Since young, whenever I have a problem, I solve it myself so it became a habit. That's why having to pour my heart out or talk about my problems just feels awkward. This is something that I want to change."

Being caught in the moment, he opened up about his problem with being "unable to open up to others about my problems." This shows that he has changed a little in that area of his troubles. With that, the reporter was left with one worry. As we sent him off after the interview, we got him to promise to answer the questions he couldn't answer the next time we meet. 

When should we have the next interview?

Source:
The Fact
Translated by: crystalhyl @ Soompi

Guest iamchoiseunghyunsgirl

Hellooooo!

I have been liking him since white christmas. Such a memorable drama (because it's full of handsome models lol).

• 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

crystalhyl said: This interview was originally in Japanese, which someone translated into Korean, and I translated that into English. Naturally, this translation might be my most awkward one ever but I kept the meaning as true to the Korean translation as I could. Korean Wave TV FAN Interview (13 January 2013)Attention on Korean Drama World's Rising Star Hong JonghyunBeginning his career earnestly as an actor in 2008, the rookie Hong Jonghyun has grown to be a rising star who can take on leading roles. He, who has been steadily establishing himself as an actor with his refreshing looks of a model and unstudied sincerity, found time in the midst of his filming of his new project "Jeon Woo-chi", and finally had a showcase/fan-meeting in Japan. We introduce to you a truthful side of the Korean drama world's young hope, who you wouldn't be able to take your eyes off in the future.

Debuted without any preparation

Q. "Jeon Woo-chi", which you are filming right now, is your third historical drama since "Frozen Flower" and "Warrior Baek Dong-soo." Were the past experiences helpful?
It's a historical drama, and it's not much different from modern dramas, but since the actions, horse-riding and way of speaking are different to a certain degree depending on the role, they were of help. This time, it was a little awkward at first but I'm more comfortable with the role now.

Q. You look extremely good in the historical outfits. What do you think?
Hm, I think it's ordinary (smiles). I wore a king's clothes in "Warrior Baek Dong-soo" since I was a king, and this time I wore a warrior's clothes for the first time. The lower ends of the clothing is long so it's inconvenient but I'm enjoying the costume.

Q. You began acting in 2008. What do you think if you looked back on your debut?
I think I was really impatient back then. I wanted to do everything that I could get my hands on. Even if it was something small, as long as I see it as an opportunity, I immense myself in it diligently. Even though I still driven, I don't try everything right away like I used to. I think rushing into something results to an unfavourable outcome.

Q. You must have gone for many auditions. Which is the most memorable?
I remember being very nervous for my first audition. I was more nervous during the audtion than during the filming. I merely followed a close friend to the audition for "Frozen Flower" (Interviewer was told that many good-looking models above 180cm tall auditioned) but I was told that I matched the image of the role and got casted.  It was also pretty weird acting out the dialogues that time (wry smile).

Q. I heard that the filming for your acting debut on "Frozen Flower" took almost a year.
The filming took a long time but I didn't appear much  so I just went to the filming site whenever I was told to. Even then it was my first movie and everything was new to me so I toured around the set. That was when I got to know what a movie filming was about.

Q. It's your 4th year of acting since your debut, if you had to pick a production that was your turning point, what would it be?
"Jungle Fish" left a huge impression on me. It was the first time I played a leading role, and I learnt a lot talking to and getting scolded by the director. After that project I came to have many different thoughts about acting.

A quiet and blunt son at home, like his dad

Q. You took on a big role in "Dear You" a remake of the original drama. What were your actual feelings about getting the leading role?
I didn't have that much interest in it at that time. Whether it was a leading or supporting role, they each have their own characteristics so they were the same to me. However, I did feel pressured about being the lead character because it would be bad if I couldn't lead the story. Before taking each scene, I discussed with the director a lot about what I thought about the scene. If I considered those thoughts alone, it would have been difficult but the seniors and director were very helpful so I got through it smoothly.

Q. You acted as a married couple with Park Sol Mi who is a dozen years older than you. Between older and younger women, which is your actual preference?
I think I'm still the most comfortable with the same age. Whether she's older or younger, as long as I feel like she's as comfortable as a friend of the same age, age doesn't matter to me. If I had to pick between older and younger women, since I'm not good at looking after people, I will pick older women. It feels like even if I don't do anything, they will take care of themselves well (smiles).

Q. What's your ideal type?
When I see that a woman is nice and have an innocent side to her, she looks good to me. For example, I like animals so when I see poor animals along the streets, I feed them. I like kind people like that. I also think that first impressions are very important. If my first impression of someone is not good, I can't get rid of that impression. That's why I like it when I see someone I meet for the first time treating the people around her sincerely. When I see someone like that, I want to treat him/her the same way.

Q. I heard that you're the youngest of your siblings. How are you as a son and younger brother at home?
I'm quiet and blunt towards my parents and older sister at home. I'm originally someone who doesn't really express my feelings, so I don't talk about myself much to anyone. To be honest, my father is like that too (wry smile). That's why I think my personality is like my father's. My mother is incredibly cheerful. My older sister is also more cheerful than me. However, even though I'm this way, I have gotten a lot better since my schooling days (wry smile). Even then I think my mother is still disappointed about it. As for looks, I resemble half of each of my parents. If I have to pick, I think I resemble my mother.

Q. Are your parents happy about you appearing on TV?
Yes. Every time I'm on TV, they send me text messages and give their support.

Q. But you have moved out of home.
Since I'm working, I live with someone from the company. But during my off days or when I have the time, I return home to show my face and eat my mother's cooking. I have never said things like "I don't like it at home!" when I moved out either. I moved out simply because it would be more efficient for my job.
Q. Are you good with housekeeping?
No, I'm not really good at it. The bro I live with is good at it (smiles).

Studying Japanese for future prospects

Q. What type of person are you when with friends?
I'm the type who accepts my friends advice well. We also like to joke around and play boisterously. We are not wary of each other and when I'm with friends, I don't not act cutely around them (smiles).

Q. During your showcase in Japan, Big Bang's T.O.P video message was shown. How did the both of you come to know each other?
I have a few friends who have been close to T.O.P for a long time, so I hung out with them a couple of times and we naturally got to know each other. He treats me very well. He also recorded that message personally. I think the people who attended the showcase liked it more than my appearance (smiles).

Q. You said watching movies is your hobby, so which movie recently left a deep impression on you?
The last movie I watched at a cinema was Lee Byunghun's "The Man Who Became King." It was very interesting. I enjoy watching movies but I don't really have the time to do so recently.

Q. You said some time ago that you were studying Japanese. What was your motivation?
I have an interest in languages. I think whether it's English or Japanese, it will be useful to know in the future, so I started learning it because I wanted to. Was it before the filming for "Dear You" began... I went for many lessons but filming began and it was really hard to arrange for lessons. I just forgot about it as time went by (wry smile). I can't remember it for long if I don't practise reading and writing every day.

Q. How did you learn it?
I took private lessons from a teacher. I learnt it from a Japanese exchange student who was introduced to me by someone good in Japanese. But that person had to return to Japan and I was busy with filming, so that was it (wry smile). I used to be able to have basic conversations but now, even if I heard the words I had learnt before, I can't remember anything.

Q. Do you have interest in Japanese movies or dramas?
After filming "Dear You" I watched the original Japanese version. It was shown in Japan quite a long time ago, right? After watching it I thought it was quite different from Korean dramas. Japan is near Korea but the sentiments are different, so I found it interesting and there was a lot to learn. When I have the chance I want to watch a different drama.

Q. What was year 2012 like and how would you like year 2013 to be?
I like that I had many things to do in 2012. It was busy but I had good luck and many opportunities. I like that I had neverending work. I think it will be a memorable year. This coming year, I wish to work like last year too but even if there's a bit of free time, I want to think of it positively to study and use that time productively. Last year was so frantic that I haven't thought about what I wanted to do this year. If there's a chance to, I want to go on a trip. I also want to do better at acting this year!

JPN-KRN Translation: DC Hong Jong HyunKRN-ENG Translation by: crystalhyl @ SoompiPlease keep the credits when re-posting, thank you.

Archived