Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

Thanks for sharing, @jongkkot! It's nice to know when to expect the interview because we're so in the dark about everything else. It does make you wonder what else Jongsuk has planned because I really can't imagine he's going to make us wait until late January to see his face again. I mean... I hope not. :(

ETA:

1 hour ago, frozentundra said:

The February edition of fashion magazines come out at the end of January, so probably they are all linked together. Photoshoot and print interview for Esquire, plus a video on their YouTube page. That's my guess, anyway.

I remember Jang Kuensuk doing an interview and photoshoot with Arena Magazine after he came back from the military. His discharge date was May 29th and his Arena spread was first posted on his and their IG on June 11th for the July 2020 issue. He debuted pictures for a few days after that. They posted a 3 minute interview/featurette a bit later as well. I don't believe he was on the cover and I'm not even sure it was a print interview thing. It could have been a web exclusive, therefore, no typical release date. Arena Magazine asked Jongsuk before he even left if they could interview him when he came back to compare and contrast with his final interview before enlistment, so that could be on the list of things coming up.

We know about the Esquire interview because they needed to get our questions to ask him, but we really don't know if they have the comeback exclusive or if it's even going to be a cover/photoshoot/print interview kind of thing. It could just be a photoshoot and online interview thing. I think it'll be all of the above, but you never know. There are lots of other outlets and ways for him to be seen before fashion magazines release their February 2021 issues. I just think it would be easier to trust him and hang tight if the last time we saw his face wasn't 2 years ago. :tears:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, hilllllllly said:

We know about the Esquire interview because they needed to get our questions to ask him, but we really don't know if they have the comeback exclusive or if it's even going to be a cover/photoshoot/print interview kind of thing. It could just be a photoshoot and online interview thing. I think it'll be all of the above, but you never know.

someone checked the previous online interviews done by esquire and they said it's both on video and on print. but yeah, we never know... i wish i knew just because i don't want to think i'll have to wait for two weeks in order to see his face again, if he's set on the idea of hiding it from us until something official in terms of work comes out. unless he was teasing us just for the fun of it, not because he really wants to hide, and he'll go back to posting soon.

Ok! I just did some more research. From looking at Esquire Korea's IG page, it seems like the cover goes to someone selling something. Like what Jongsuk did with Omega watches in 2019. It also seems like the one with the cover doesn't do the interview Jongsuk is doing. Whether they do photoshoots, I'm not sure. But if somehow they bend the rules and have him on the cover with a print interview and photo spread, their December cover was first posted on November 19th but their January cover was first posted about in the form of a video on December 13th and the actual cover on December 14th. Keep in mind that all these days could be off by a day because of time zones and locations. 

I guess the interesting thing is that Jongsuk isn't likely to do the interview he's doing and grace the cover, so that photoshoot he shared may have been for something else. And whether it was or not, I assume he'll be getting the cover of something. I get the feeling we don't know much at all at this point.

ETA

11 minutes ago, jongkkot said:

someone checked the previous online interviews done by esquire and they said it's both on video and on print. but yeah, we never know... i wish i knew just because i don't want to think i'll have to wait for two weeks in order to see his face again, if he's set on the idea of hiding it from us until something official in terms of work comes out. unless he was teasing us just for the fun of it, not because he really wants to hide, and he'll go back to posting soon.

Oops, I posted before I saw this. I don't really know what that person meant about on video and on print, because like I posted above, the people who were on the last two covers didn't do the fan interview Jongsuk did. They got your typical photoshoot featurettes and lots of pictures posted. And everyone I see that does the fan interviews doesn't have any photoshoot pictures posted by Esquire Korea. It doesn't mean they don't or they can't be found inside the magazine or somewhere else online, but at the very least it seems like dates are flexible depending on what he's signed up for and like we really have no idea what he's doing up to this point. I doubt if he's not getting the cover and main feature for Esquire that this is the only thing he has planned. 

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

i'll share the source here. then, from what i understand, there'll be a photoshoot together with the interview, not on print, on esquire's website only. like they always do with photoshoots, i assume they'll post the pictures and the q&a's of the interview on their website, but in this case there's not going to be a physical copy of the photoshoot to go along with the online version.

@jongkkot Ah, ok. So it does make sense that this is more or less an internet exclusive. But in my opinion, that's really good news because it means he is probably going to be on the cover of another magazine and has more planned than this. It seems like a smaller appearance in the grand scheme of what someone like him is probably planning on doing. It's the only thing we know of for sure so it's really easy to feel like that's what we're waiting for, but I don't think Jongsuk is just going to posted the 2 things he did and then stay quiet until the end of January. 

In all honesty, I go back and forth on whether I would rather him do like everyone else and just casually jump back into everything or if I think it's more special and fun that he wants it to be better than that. Once again, I think it's hard to know until we see how this month plays out. I remember wondering how something as special as seeing him again after 2 years could be summed up in a silly selfie he posts the night he's finally discharged. Or to see his face and hear his voice for the first time in 2 years on some shaky webcast... I don't know. Call me crazy, but it felt like something too big and too special to celebrate like that. Apparently he agrees. But at the same time, I just miss him and want him to be back and it really doesn't feel like he is yet. 

• Like 5

no, i'm fine with the way he's handling things and i'm satisfied. i'm sure we'll get a lot of new stuff in a short time. in all honesty, he's not the type to do lives with fanservice in mind. there are idols that turn on IG live and talk with fans while they comment, they answer their questions. jongsuk has never done that. sure, he did IG lives too, but he never interacted with fans. even when he did a live for his dream with us exhibition, yes, he read some of the comments but he didn't have a  full conversation with fans. mind you, i'm referring to the way he lead the lives he did compared to other idols, not necessarily saying that he doesn't interact with fans at all during those times. the only times i can remember him really talking to fans was when he was on hiatus years ago. a live is also something that some people might miss or might not have the time to follow, instead a post or a video is always there for others to see. it's not going anywhere. but that's just my view of things. i'm not excluding the possibility he could do a live one of these days. i just don't see him interacting a lot with fans, if he does, so i'd prefer something different. what he's doing so far is fine by me.

I'm fine with what he's done so far too. I was more or less looking at how all the other actors and idols have returned. Most of them hold some kind of livestream event or post a random selfie of them with their dog wearing sweats. They often act like they're happy to be back, but it isn't a huge deal for fans to see them again. On the other hand, it seems like Jongsuk changed up his look and kept himself in really good shape for his return. He has probably thought about the way he wants things to unfold more than we can imagine and has put a ton of effort into what he thinks will thrill us. I mean, we've all been freaking out over his long hair. The color, the cut, etc. I always think Jongsuk looks different every era and especially now that he's older, I really find his appearance to be so unpredictable. I've imagined what he would be like and what his face would look like and how he's grown up in the last 2 years over and over again. Now all I can imagine is how much time, effort, and energy he put into his appearance and what he wants our first glimpse of him to be like. That is how Jongsuk is different from the rest. He seems to be concerned and worried and invested in the same things his fans are. It matters as much to him as it does to us. 

I'm more than a little happy that he's set himself apart from his peers and I think once this month is over, we'll have more than just a single Esquire feature. It's just that waiting gives a lot of time to worrying. I trust him though. 

• Like 6

20 hours ago, jongkkot said:

@ibru the look on that fan art though. :wub: i don't know if i can take it if they style his hair like that (positively, of course). but, whichever hairstyle they decide to go for, style it nicely, please!

As I remember Jong Suk was wearing long black hair during his modeling time and it was suitable for him

00f0c7dd1d93eac88e4b1216cd282b30.jpg

• Like 6

12 hours ago, jongkkot said:

no, i'm fine with the way he's handling things and i'm satisfied. i'm sure we'll get a lot of new stuff in a short time. in all honesty, he's not the type to do lives with fanservice in mind. there are idols that turn on IG live and talk with fans while they comment, they answer their questions. jongsuk has never done that. sure, he did IG lives too, but he never interacted with fans. even when he did a live for his dream with us exhibition, yes, he read some of the comments but he didn't have a  full conversation with fans. mind you, i'm referring to the way he lead the lives he did compared to other idols, not necessarily saying that he doesn't interact with fans at all during those times. the only times i can remember him really talking to fans was when he was on hiatus years ago. a live is also something that some people might miss or might not have the time to follow, instead a post or a video is always there for others to see. it's not going anywhere. but that's just my view of things. i'm not excluding the possibility he could do a live one of these days. i just don't see him interacting a lot with fans, if he does, so i'd prefer something different. what he's doing so far is fine by me.

Wow! thanks to you both @hilllllllly and @jongkkot on your research on the Esquire video / text interviews and updates - that's a lot of work.  You guys are really good - .  Amazing!  

I have to agree with @jongkkot on the above.   JS has gone on IG live several times but no interviews - heart sign, finger heart etc yes.  One was after FM with Shin Jae Ha.  And there is this VIP Live Broadcast with his  sunbae-nims - mainly on the movie.    I might have missed some others -?VLife.   I too feel that he might not do it.   
We won't be seeing him in FM where the MC holds a Q&A session (I mean physical interaction with fans) which will not happen anytime soon.   Online FM?   So, with the current Covid situation, he may have to improvise on something he is comfortable with.

As much as we fans are waiting in anticipation of his next move, I know he will spring us with surprises.  He is good in this -  very innovative.  JS often wants to do something DIFFERENT from other celebs.  I have been waiting long, guess I can wait a bit more.  :D 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

@jongkkot, I checked out their Twitter account and thought it was weird that most of it is just random quotes from interviews they’ve done. Are they all relevant/new or is there no real rhyme or reason to them? I can’t tell. I do think he’s going to work with Arena soon no matter what, but I am hoping this is a sign. 

• Like 4

@hilllllllly they posted an old interview with lee dongwook around the same time they posted about jongsuk, if you noticed, but another one they posted is a new one because the article says the 5th of january. i don't know if there's a logical reason for it, maybe they share the last ones they did with people they'll work with soon.

His answer for Arena--that's why I like his dramas. (He says he tends to pick scripts that give him something to think about). I really love his acting, but I also tend to like most of the stories he picks; they do leave you with something real to think about, despite some fantastical elements, and that resonates with me. 

• Like 6

@frozentundra, I think Jongsuk is the undefeated champion of picking the best dramas. He said that’s his favorite compliment to receive and it makes him proud, and it should because it’s true. You can tell he takes his time and knows what to look for, probably because he’s such a fan of dramas himself. But I do think it’s interesting to imagine how well each drama would have done with someone else playing Jongsuk’s character. I truly believe the magic comes alive when his script choice and acting combine. The dramas may be good on their own, but they’re fire when he gets his hands on them.  They need him to take the drama to the levels only Jongsuk can.

I wonder if this is common knowledge in the drama industry or if it’s only something directors find out once they work with him. I know his reputation for giving a good interview due to his lack of filter spread around to all the reporters in Korea, but I wonder if all the script writers, producers, and directors understand how amazing he really is and how much better he can make their dramas by casting him. Obviously to some extent just based on his popularity alone, but I think it’s fun to wonder just how many of them are fighting for him right now. 

• Like 5