Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

'School 2013,' starring Kim Woo-bin and Lee Jong-suk, explores the topic of school bullying.

'School 2013,' starring Kim Woo-bin and Lee Jong-suk, explores the topic of school bullying.

KBS

How Korean Dramas Are Being Used To Promote Mental Health

Joan MacDonaldContributor
I'm a journalist fascinated by Korean drama and film.

Korean drama fans often jokingly refer to their viewing habits as therapy, since dramas supply a fun diversion from daily life—particularly during a prolonged pandemic lockdown. However, k-dramas may actually be useful in therapy to help promote personal growth and prompt conversations about mental health. 

Van Ta Park PhD, MPH, is the lead author of two studies that used k-dramas to discuss mental health.

As a k-drama viewer, Park reasoned that dramas might provide an engaging way to reach diverse Asian American communities.

“I knew about telenovelas and how instrumental they have been for the Spanish speaking community in terms of entertainment and as an educational medium,” said Park. “I thought we needed something like that, but we have a lot of languages to consider. It’s not compared to two main languages for telenovelas.”

K-dramas, which are watched by 18 million Americans, are translated into multiple languages and are popular among Asian Americans from varying cultural backgrounds.

Park’s 2020 study Promising Results from the Use of a Korean Drama to Address Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behaviors on School Bullying and Mental Health among Asian American College-Aged Students, was published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. The study used the KBS drama School 2013, starring Jang Nara, Choi Daniel, Lee Jong-suk, and Kim Woo-bin, to measure whether Asian American students’ knowledge of and attitudes toward bullying might improve after watching the drama.

“When you speak the language in terms of the values held by communities, in cultural groups such as Asians, they get it,” said Park, an associate professor at the University of California, San Francisco. “They can relate to it and it definitely has the potential to be therapeutic, even in just a short time period. It’s not meant to replace cognitive behavioral therapy or antidepressants, or seeing your doctor.

You can read the rest of article here
https://www.forbes.com/sites/joanmacdonald/2021/01/21/how-korean-dramas-are-being-used-to-promote-mental-health/?sh=49df92e813f2

• Like 5

Forbes is like, a large, serious publication. Wow, I am so surprised to see our Jong Sukkie leading that article!

(Note: Kdramas do not normally play on American TV channels. Kdramas do have their cult following, but you have to find them on Netflix or Viki or some other service, so these are not household names. It's getting better, people know Parasite, and I just read that the viewership of Kdramas in North America did skyrocket over the pandemic. Still. It's wholly unexpected to see a picture of Lee Jong Suk--someone we "know"--heading a Forbes article.)

Of course it doesn't take the place of a medical professional. Still...can we say that all of our drama watching is medicinal? :D

ETA: Also, in my opinion, anyone who wants to work with teenagers in any capacity should be required to watch School 2013.

• Like 4

Thank you @backstreetboysfan for the link

May I repost from twitter

The lyrics of the Song  " Bang " by AJR  which JS posted in his video

Lyrics
I get up, I get down and I'm jumping around
And the rumpus and ruckus are comfortable now
Been a hell of a ride but I'm thinking it's time to grow
Bang! Bang! Bang!

So I got an apartment across from the park
Put quinoa in my fridge, still I'm not feeling grown
Been a hell of a ride but I'm thinking it's time to go
Bang! Bang! Bang!
(Here we go)

So put your best face on everybody
Pretend you know this song
Everybody come hang (come hang)
Let's go out with a bang
Bang! Bang! Bang!

I'm way too young to lie here forever
I'm way too old to try so whatever come hang (come hang)
Let's go out with a bang
Bang! Bang! Bang!

Feel like I'm gonna puke 'cause my taxes are due
Do my password begin with a one or a two?
Been a hell of a ride but I'm thinking it's time to grow
Bang! Bang! Bang!
(Metronome)

Man, I'm up to something (up to something)
Ooh de la de do, thank you all for coming (all for coming)
I hope you like the show
'Cause it's on a budget (on a budget)
So ooh de la de do
Yeah, come on, here we go
Yeah, come on
(Here we go)

Let's go out with a bang
Bang! Bang! Bang!

Let's go out with a bang
Bang! Bang! Bang! (Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!)
Bang! Bang! Bang! (Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!)
Been a hell of a ride but I'm thinking it's time to go

Everybody come hang
Let's go out with a bang
Bang! Bang! Bang!
(Here we go)

Let's go out with a bang
Bang! Bang! Bang! (Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang! Bang!)

Let's go out with a bang
Bang! Bang! Bang!
(Here we go)
Bang! Bang!

Source: Musixmatch

• Like 4