Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

I actually feel quite encouraged.  For whatever reason LJS agency isn’t able to manage media at this point and LJS knows that. Although frustrations are rising across his fan base, there is a global audience waiting  to see the projects he’s been working on. Witch Part 2 comes out in June, I saw somewhere May for Disney Big Mouth though that could be a slice of wishful thinking so guess 3Q and I assume that Decibel will be released 3Q/4Q.  A PR campaign needs to be planned out and put in place to handle publicity around these - its going to be an intense period of 3-6 months.  So being aligned to an agency resourced to handle that is pretty critical.   I would hope we’ll see some impact beginning to build in the next couple of weeks…. At least he shouldn’t be MIA

• Like 2

I will wait.  His stuff is worth it!  Even VIP... I watched... never again, NOT HIS FAULT!  The director was over the top, but his villan role was so terrifying that a coworker said she'd never watch his dramas.  Talk about a compliment to the acting.  I told her she really should give his stuff a chance.  That was 5 years ago.  I will wait.  I love him so much!!!  Number one favourite actor.

• Like 2

Hmm... I found this comment on Big Mouth's page at My Drama List and thought it was worth discussing.

"I doubt it (Big Mouth) will be on tvN now. Maybe JTBC. AS CJENM (the parent company of tvN) has partnership with Paramount+ to release shows now. Other than that Netflix. Meanwhile JTBC and Disney+ have a collaboration too."

I hadn't been thinking about domestic networks and their contracts with streaming platforms, but this actually goes along with the theory that Big Mouth won't be aired on tvN like originally reported. Looking back, a lot has been pointing in this direction for awhile, from the reports that it would be released in the first half of the year (despite tvN not having space for it), to the most recent reports saying it'll air on a domestic network, but not naming tvN. I didn't really have an attachment to Big Mouth being a part of any specific network, but I'm sure there will be things to gain and lose either way.

And speaking of gaining/losing ... there were rumors earlier on Twitter (stemming from this tweet) that Decibel will be released in June. That puts Witch 2, Decibel, and Big Mouth in the exact same [rumored] month, doesn't it? I think that would be a huge disservice to us and Jongsuk. How are you going to make the man work and his fans wait for a year and a half, just to release all of his projects in the same month? It would be exhausting and limiting for him to promote everything at the same time, and he'd only be in the public eye for 3 months total before having to choose another project. 

I don't want to be one of those people who begs for something and then complains when it comes sooner than expected, but no, this would be way too unfair. If Decibel is released in June, I hope that Big Mouth has an August release and they pushed Witch 2 to the fall. We don't need his promotion time to be over before it starts because everyone has forgotten how to schedule anything. 

• Like 1

I don't question that it'll be streaming on Disney+ domestically, but these streaming services have contracts with the television networks they belong to. I looked it up and so far, Disney+ has gotten the rights to stream Snowdrop (JTBC), Rookie Cop (Disney+ exclusive), Soundtrack #1 (Disney+ exclusive), Crazy Love (KBS2), The Zone: Survival Mission (a variety show that is a Disney+ exclusive), and Big Mouth. The thing all of these shows have in common is k-pop as a theme or someone from k-pop starring. That seems to be their interest. But as of yet, most shows they air are exclusives, and they have yet to work out a deal with any tvN drama. But honestly, if Big Mouth becomes a Disney+ exclusive and we lose access to any behind the scenes videos they usually share through the network's social media platforms, I'm going to lose it. Why can't we know anything???

ETA: I just found this article from The Hollywood Reporter from March 4th. Does this mean it won't be airing on a network in Korea??? 

"This week Disney is sharing info on three of its forthcoming Korean series and one new licensed show.

The originals include: Big Mouth, a thriller starring Lee Jong-suk and Lim Yoon-a; Soundtrack #1, a music-centered romantic drama about two friends walking the line between romance and friendship; and The Zone: Survival Mission, a survival gameshow where celebrities are challenged to break out of escape rooms. Disney+ has also picked up the forthcoming high-concept romantic drama Crazy Love, which is produced by Arc Media and begins airing on Korean broadcaster KBS next Monday."

• Like 1

Right, usually the shows air on a network domestically and then are sold to some other OTT service internationally (as well as some OTT service for Korea as well, if they go that route, like putting something on Netflix). But not long ago Disney actually made some kind of massive investment in Big Mouth that basically outbid everyone else. So I think they get to call the shots. I would hope it would still come out on TVN, to increase viewership, but I don't know, since that info seems to be uncertain/un-confirmed, at least on the Naver listing. 

Regarding Soundtrack #1, that is finishing up on air right now (in Korea), and it did come out on Disney+. They have done a good job advertising it (at least, I see a lot of posts about it on their IG page, plus they've had promo clips on their YT channel. Behind the scenes clips, I don't know about. But there is promo at least. It feels pretty normal from a casual bystander viewpoint. Not sure what they did for Snowdrop. (Note: I haven't seen any Disney shows yet. I'm waiting until they actually have one of the shows I'm waiting for airing in my region before I sign up.) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, frozentundra said:

Regarding Soundtrack #1, that is finishing up on air right now (in Korea), and it did come out on Disney+. They have done a good job advertising it (at least, I see a lot of posts about it on their IG page, plus they've had promo clips on their YT channel. Behind the scenes clips, I don't know about. But there is promo at least. It feels pretty normal from a casual bystander viewpoint. Not sure what they did for Snowdrop. 

Snowdrop aired on JTBC, so Disney+ did their exclusive content for them but the audience also got the typical behind-the-scenes videos and promo from the network's social media platforms. If Big Mouth does air on tvN, that's what we can expect, but if they don't... I'm really not sure. I did a quick search and saw that bts videos were available for Rookie Cop (a Disney+ exclusive without a domestic network) and they seemed to be coming from Disney+ Korea's YouTube page. That made me feel a little better, but Soundtrack #1 doesn't have any bts videos as of yet.

Everything still seems so new and experimental at Disney+... I kind of wish Big Mouth's female lead wasn't in k-pop (no shade to Yoona) so they would have left it alone. I read that Netflix (and most western entertainment) has embraced posting a whole season or series at once instead of weekly, but since Korea still relies on their television broadcasting schedule, Netflix bends this rule for k-dramas and updates twice a week instead. Disney, however, is not doing that and i don't see them changing anytime soon.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hilllllllly said:

I read that Netflix (and most western entertainment) has embraced posting a whole season or series at once instead of weekly, but since Korea still relies on their television broadcasting schedule, Netflix bends this rule for k-dramas and updates twice a week instead. Disney, however, is not doing that and i don't see them changing anytime soon.

does this mean (assuming it will be on disney+) that we'd get one episode a week?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, hilllllllly said:

read that Netflix (and most western entertainment) has embraced posting a whole season or series at once instead of weekly, but since Korea still relies on their television broadcasting schedule, Netflix bends this rule for k-dramas and updates twice a week instead. Disney, however, is not doing that and i don't see them changing anytime soon.

8 hours ago, jongkkot said:

does this mean (assuming it will be on disney+) that we'd get one episode a week?

I understand @hilllllllly's comment to mean that instead of posting all episodes at once, Netflix follows Korean broadcasting schedules (ie 2 episodes a week at the same time it airs in Korea, instead of all 16 at once). But about Disney, I also have questions, as I'm not yet subscribed. Do you mean that they are dropping all episodes at once? Or what @jongkkotasked, with only one a week (when the normal schedule is two)? I know that Soundtrack #1 is only one episode a week (everywhere), but it's only a 4-episode drama. I don't see it as necessarily indicative of what would happen with a full length drama. It feels more like they want to draw it out because it's so short.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jongkkot said:

No, I don't think so. There seems to be a lot of confusion about Disney+ and what we can expect from them, so I'll try to explain it the best I can. 

Snowdrop aired like any other drama (2 episodes a week) on JTBC and Disney+ from December 18, 2021-January 30, 2022. However, Disney+ only released real time, weekly episodes to Korea and select Asian countries. The rest of the world with access to Disney+ had to wait until February 3, 2022 before it was available in their countries. Since shows in the west are being released all at once for binge watching, that is what they decided to do with k-dramas as well. However, since Korea releases 2 episodes a week for 2 months, Disney+ has to wait until all of the episodes of a show air in Korea before they can make the whole thing available to the rest of the world. Long story short, just because you have access to Disney+ doesn't mean Big Mouth will be available in your country until after it's finished airing in Korea. Places like North America and Europe are going to be blocked from watching it until a few days after the final episodes airs in Korea, so if it airs in August? We'll finally get to see it in October. This sucks and needs to change.

On top of this, there is also the possibility that it will never be made available to the rest of the world. Rookie Cops aired on Disney+ exclusively from January 26, 2022-March 16, 2022 and it is still only available on Disney+ Asia. I don't think it's ever going to be released worldwide. It's possible this will change in time, but it's not likely to before Big Mouth is released. 

• Like 2

Rookie Cops is still not available outside Asia?? Ahhhh this better not happen with Big Mouth. I will be leaving requests weekly on Disney's feedback site if so...

I just really hope his next project ends up on Netflix or viki or some way that involves less waiting. It's really been a long time. Over on DC I see that even casual viewers who are not particularly fans are asking if he's going to be the lead in nearly ever drama in the headlines that hasn't been cast yet. It's just hopeful thinking, but it really has been a long time since he's been on air! On the plus side, though, articles are still hopeful that Witch will come out in June, though there is no set date yet. But it's looking hopeful. 

Also, this has nothing to do with anything, but every time I run across it again, I smile, so if you are feeling down, enjoy this cheering breakdance with a very young Jongsukkie. :)

• Like 1

Aw, baby Jongsuk. I know this probably embarrasses the crap out of him, but I find it very endearing. That hair was doing a lot. :D

I'm not exaggerating when I say that Disney has an exclusive interest in k-pop. Snowdrop had Jisoo from Blackpink. Rookie Cops had Kang Daniel, Soundtrack #1 is about music, Crazy Love has Krystal, The Zone is going to have Yuri from Girl's Generation, and Big Mouth has Yoona from Girl's Generation. That's literally all they care about, so this comes down to Yoona, both fortunately and unfortunately. As long as Jongsuk's next project doesn't involve anyone with a background in k-pop, I think we're good. I honestly think he should sign up for a shorter drama or a project that can keep him in the public eye instead of something that's going to take a million years to be made and released. 

I just want to see or hear anything from him. I know he technically posted less than 2 weeks ago, but with all the criticism being thrown at A-man, absolute silence coming from all of his projects, and all the time that this has taken... I just feel a lot of anxiety.

• Like 1

I could watch that clip a hundred times and still be smiling. You know those things they put up in car lots and fast food places to advertise sales and encourage people to come in? These long plastic tubes (like socks) that have a blower at the bottom and so they shoot straight up and wave in the wind? That is EXACTLY what he looks like. Whenever I see them, I always think, aw, little Jongsukkie, here too! :D 

That's an interesting observation about Disney and K-pop. I hadn't noticed, but now that you mention it, that really does connect all of them. Well, I don't think all of his projects will be like this, so hopefully there is more variety in who carries what next time. 

• LOL 1

He really does look like one of those car lot thingies! His limbs, even back then, are completely unreal. I saw someone say that he's 86% leg. ^_^

A few Big Mouth updates...

Translation

In this atmosphere, expectations are growing that the Korean Wave will again exert its influence in China this year, the 30th anniversary of the establishment of diplomatic ties between Korea and China.  TVN dramas such as 'Vincenzo' are waiting for official airing in the local area, and new works by popular stars such as Lee Jong Suk and Yoona of 'Big Mouth', and Kang Ha Neul of 'Insider' will also be aired. Aiming for results ahead.

Nice to get some form of confirmation that they're still filming. I have never heard of a drama taking 8 months to film, but... here we are. 

• Like 2

On 4/13/2022 at 1:57 AM, frozentundra said:

I would assume Big Mouth will be on Disney+ domestically, since they paid the most for it. After all, aren't they competing with TVING as far as streaming services? 

This came to my mind too. Maybe it'll only air on Disney, just like Park Hyung Sik's 4-episode mini-drama. Because it doesn't look like it will air on tvN. I think tvN's schedule is full. 

20 hours ago, hilllllllly said:

Snowdrop aired on JTBC, so Disney+ did their exclusive content for them but the audience also got the typical behind-the-scenes videos and promo from the network's social media platforms. If Big Mouth does air on tvN, that's what we can expect, but if they don't... I'm really not sure. I did a quick search and saw that bts videos were available for Rookie Cop (a Disney+ exclusive without a domestic network) and they seemed to be coming from Disney+ Korea's YouTube page. That made me feel a little better, but Soundtrack #1 doesn't have any bts videos as of yet.

Everything still seems so new and experimental at Disney+... I kind of wish Big Mouth's female lead wasn't in k-pop (no shade to Yoona) so they would have left it alone. I read that Netflix (and most western entertainment) has embraced posting a whole season or series at once instead of weekly, but since Korea still relies on their television broadcasting schedule, Netflix bends this rule for k-dramas and updates twice a week instead. Disney, however, is not doing that and i don't see them changing anytime soon.

I think Disney promoted it well, I even thought they promoted the 4-episode P.hyungsik series well. I need to see their interviews with Yoona, it will probably be fun since they are friends. If Disney has released Snow Drops as a long series; Then it could be in a long drama that could air on a Disney plus channel. But if the series is around 4-8 episodes, maybe only Disney can air it. Because it seemed to me that Ljs' drama could be short. Maybe 10 episodes or something, so the channels may have preferred to broadcast longer series. The important thing for now is the publication of the series. Although, I'm more curious about the Decibel movie, I wish that movie was a TV series. Big Mouth isn't bad, but I think Decibel is definitely a different and much more interesting project. The plot of Big Mouth is not bad, I still wished Ljs would came back with a lots of romance and fantasy genre type drama. As if this series will be too much focused on law-themed. He probably choosed the most interesting among them as the subject, but I do not find the dramas about law as attractive as before. Also everything has changed in Corona, most of the series are broadcast on the internet, of course, my wish is that it is a 12-16 episode series and it is broadcast on a cable channel at least .

10 minutes ago, Selin Eroğlu said:

If Disney has released Snow Drops as a long series; Then it could be in a long drama that could air on a Disney plus channel. But if the series is around 4-8 episodes, maybe only Disney can air it. Because it seemed to me that Ljs' drama could be short. Maybe 10 episodes or something, so the channels may have preferred to broadcast longer series.

I think when they originally announced it, it was 12 episodes, but from what I recall, it was lengthened to 16. Do you happen to know how long Snowdrop was? 

Decibel does sound like something that could easily be a drama!

• Like 1

People working on Big Mouth have posted scripts for episodes 15-16, so it's definitely going to be a 16 episode drama. I also have a feeling we have a very undeveloped understanding of the plot. They keep making it sound like it's about an innocent man being falsely accused and his wife fighting for him. However, I've always thought (based on many things) that whether he's guilty or innocent will be up for debate, among other things. No matter the twists and turns, Jongsuk himself said that he knew it would be a challenge, so I believe there is more to it than we know.

1 hour ago, frozentundra said:

Do you happen to know how long Snowdrop was? 

It was 16 episodes, 90 minutes each. 

• Like 1