Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

Men’s Uno Hong Kong 14th Anniversary Edition (April issue cover star ) Unrealistically Handsome Man - Lee Jong Suk

tumblr_inline_onqhpdIFG71sp3v51_540.png

This time, we have Lee Jong Suk, labelled as “a man who looks like he was ripped out of a manga” for the cover of the April issue. 

Regarding the cover shoot, it can be described as being extremely rushed. Pre-shoot preparations to the actual shooting only took 2-3 days. For this cover shoot, we had to specially fly to South Korea. But due to the shortage of time, we had to directly liaise with the Korean representatives (Thanks a lot for the help from Public Relations Q who could speak Korean). On the day of the shoot, we witnessed the professionalism of Korean stars. From changing outfits to completing the shoot, only half an hour was taken, with each pose taking approximately 2 seconds, setting the record for the fastest shoot ever taken in my life. 

The Talented One
Versatile “TV King”

The Korean Wave (also known as “Hallyu Wave”) phenomenon persists - in the music industry, K-pop groups one after another are launched, and the acting industry is not that much different. Nearly each time a new series is released, the masses will be swept away, and the series becomes the latest hot topic, to the extent that some of the classic plots get imitated. Within the many K-drama male stars, one that has been widely discussed recently - no doubt, is Lee Jong Suk who won the Grand Prize in the “MBC Drama Awards” last year. 

A Winning Combination 

There seems to always be someone like this around us – not only in terms of looks, but that they seem to succeed in everything they do. And in quite a few people’s eyes, Lee Jong Suk is one of them. At the age of 16, he was scouted from the streets and became a model. Upon debut, he immediately made it to Seoul Fashion Week. Since then, he participated in large-scale fashion shows, won several modelling awards, and became one of the most loved models in Korea’s fashion industry. In 2010, he made his acting debut in the legal drama “Prosecutor Princess”. Within the same year, he splendidly portrayed musician Han Tae-sun in “Secret Garden”, through which he rapidly gained recognition. From then, he took on bigger roles, captivating the hearts of many K-drama fans. Lee Jong Suk’s popularity soared following the success of “School 2013”, which aired in late 2012. In “School 2013”, Lee Jong Suk played one of the lead roles Go Nam-soon, and received his first acting award –“KBS Drama Awards” Best New Actor Award. Thereby, he secured his place as male lead in the rest of the K-drama series. “I Can Hear Your Voice”, “Doctor Stranger”, “Pinocchio”, “W”….. one series after another, pushed Lee Jong Suk to surpass his own limits, and not only did he manage to climb to the top of the entertainment industry, he often received nominations on award shows – even winning the Grand Prize in the “MBC Drama Awards” last year. From his modelling days to where he is now in the entertainment industry, it seemed as though Lee Jong Suk had a smooth-sailing journey. But what the audience fail to see, is the determination and hard work this man pours into acting. 

To me, turning from a model to an actor wasn’t a coincidence, because acting has always been my biggest dream since I was young, and I have always worked toward that. Even though this journey had a turn, my modelling experiences undeniably helped me in my career as an actor. Certainly, the acting skills required in films or dramas are at a more complex level, but nevertheless, shooting for magazine covers and advertisements also requires a certain level of acting, and these important jobs cannot be avoided as an actor.

Seizing every opportunity

Because of his dreams to be an actor, Lee Jong Suk left his modelling career at his peak and debuted again as a rookie in the acting industry. In addition, he enrolled into Konkuk University Art and Culture Institute, Arts Department and studied acting earnestly. Even though he is already viewed as one of the “TV Kings”, Lee Jong Suk continues to strive for and seizes every acting opportunity, appearing as a teenager with superhuman abilities in “Potato Star 2013QR3” and a fried chicken store customer in “Weightlifting Fairy Kim Bok-Joo”. No matter the size of the acting role, Lee Jong Suk does his best to participate. 
No matter what the drama or character is, even right now as I am sitting in front of you; the real Lee Jong Suk is also very different. That is why - to me, every drama, every scene, and every second on screen is a good opportunity for me to polish my acting skills, and every moment is worth cherishing. Even though I receive praises for my acting, I always feel that there is a lot of room for improvement, and I hope to perform better in the next scene or series. Especially at the start of filming for every new series, I all the more have thoughts of breaking through my past standards, letting the audience see a different Lee Jong Suk. This repeated cycle of “self-challenging” is the main reason why I am so intrigued by acting.

When speaking of the biggest challenge Lee Jong Suk faced during acting, he talked about his role as Park Hoon in “Doctor Stranger”, a genius doctor who was born in South Korea but raised in North Korea. “This drama series can be considered as the series that I invested the largest amount of effort in, out of my entire acting career. In order to act it out well, I really put in my utmost effort, and at that time I even thought I wouldn’t be able to act to this extent ever again.” The Korean entertainment industry has countless celebrities who are blessed with both good looks and talent. However, Lee Jong Suk’s biggest charm is believed to be his polite and humble character, which propels him to stand out above the rest.

Translated by @veplusk
Proofread by @joanna5959 
Cr: jshine_fc_leejongsuk

• Like 7

Thanks, @Rania Zeid! Really love this article. JS is the BEST actor I know for getting inside a character's skin and making the audience feel for him. But on top of that, I find him impressive for always challenging himself, never being content to just rest on his awards, and for being both talented/hardworking but also ego-free. I work in a creative field and have seen success send people in different directions. The ones who manage to continue growing yet stay humble in character are the ones who really stick in my mind. Hooray for Jong Suk!

• Like 6

2 hours ago, frozentundra said:

Thanks, @Rania Zeid! Really love this article. JS is the BEST actor I know for getting inside a character's skin and making the audience feel for him. But on top of that, I find him impressive for always challenging himself, never being content to just rest on his awards, and for being both talented/hardworking but also ego-free. I work in a creative field and have seen success send people in different directions. The ones who manage to continue growing yet stay humble in character are the ones who really stick in my mind. Hooray for Jong Suk!

and despite all the awards he won and the praise he got  he still thinks that he lack a lot and not good enough that's why he always seek to learn more and play new char even if it may affects his popularity 

• Like 6