Lee Jong Suk 이종석 イ・ジョンソク ♥ Drama 2022: Big Mouth, 빅마우스 | Movie 2022: Decibel, 데시벨

hilllllllly

Hey everybody! I'm new and haven't really introduced myself, but I had a question and don't see anyone talking about it anywhere. Are the pictures his manager posted yesterday from before or after he enlisted? I know that working in public service is different, but I didn't think he'd be able to go on a day trip to Jeju Island with his manager. I was so happy to see what could potentially be an update, but the more I thought about it, the more it started to not make sense. Am I just stupid? Does everyone knows these are old pictures?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hilllllllly said:

Hey everybody! I'm new and haven't really introduced myself, but I had a question and don't see anyone talking about it anywhere. Are the pictures his manager posted yesterday from before or after he enlisted? I know that working in public service is different, but I didn't think he'd be able to go on a day trip to Jeju Island with his manager. I was so happy to see what could potentially be an update, but the more I thought about it, the more it started to not make sense. Am I just stupid? Does everyone knows these are old pictures?

hi and welcome here :)

we dunno for sure but it could be ;) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Rania Zeid said:

hi and welcome here :)

we dunno for sure but it could be ;) 

Hi and thanks for the welcome! I've been lurking for awhile and have had a great time browsing everything that's been archived in this thread. It's been my favorite place to get news, so thanks for all you (and everyone else) does here. :wub:

I guess I'm just questioning the possibility of those pictures being new. We are all counting down the day of his return and he cried for months about leaving everything behind. It doesn't seem realistic that he'd be hanging out with friends and travelling locally as if he had never enlisted. In a way, I kind of hope the pictures are old because if they aren't, the only thing truly cut out of his life is us. Of course I'd rather he not be enlisted at all, but if he is and we don't have any contact and communication with him for the next 600+ days, I'd like to think what's happening now is the real deal and a genuine reason to be secluded from acting and the fans. If the pictures are new, it's almost like he never enlisted. Perhaps his post and the caption were looking back on an old trip and missing him like we are? 

• Like 2

As far as I understand it, he can do those kinds of things in ps. I think it was a holiday (May 1) and perhaps that made it possible. Soompi had an article the other day about Super Junior's Kyuhyun, who is soon to get out of public service. I had a look at his IG (gyuram88) because I was curious what a person could or could not do as far as one's travel and also fandom. He in fact did have a trip to Jejudo during his ps. He posted on IG about every 2-3 months (with some longer stretches in between.) 

The thing that fans have to realize is that celebrities are limited in what they can do to promote their careers while they are doing military service. It's not that they are "cutting out the fans" intentionally. It's that this is a time when they are supposed to be regular civilians. Yes, there are times when they have a bit of a break and can post freely. And yes, ps means you have a desk job and go home at night. But they are still in the army. Their time does not entirely belong to them. Take the case of Psy, he supposedly neglected his military duties in favor of promoting his career, and they made him enlist TWICE. Can you imagine??? I think that no one wants that experience. 

When I saw these pictures, to me I felt that JS was thinking of fans and trying to say hi in as low key a manner as possible. 

• Like 7

9 hours ago, frozentundra said:

As far as I understand it, he can do those kinds of things in ps. I think it was a holiday (May 1) and perhaps that made it possible. Soompi had an article the other day about Super Junior's Kyuhyun, who is soon to get out of public service. I had a look at his IG (gyuram88) because I was curious what a person could or could not do as far as one's travel and also fandom. He in fact did have a trip to Jejudo during his ps. He posted on IG about every 2-3 months (with some longer stretches in between.) 

The thing that fans have to realize is that celebrities are limited in what they can do to promote their careers while they are doing military service. It's not that they are "cutting out the fans" intentionally. It's that this is a time when they are supposed to be regular civilians. Yes, there are times when they have a bit of a break and can post freely. And yes, ps means you have a desk job and go home at night. But they are still in the army. Their time does not entirely belong to them. Take the case of Psy, he supposedly neglected his military duties in favor of promoting his career, and they made him enlist TWICE. Can you imagine??? I think that no one wants that experience. 

When I saw these pictures, to me I felt that JS was thinking of fans and trying to say hi in as low key a manner as possible. 

Thank you so much for responding with this. I tried to research how public service is different but sadly, it's not exactly as easy as a simple google search. I couldn't find much. 

It sounds like while they're enlisted, they are expected to dedicate most (if not all) of their time to the task at hand. I guess their freedom while working PS is a little less defined but the risk of getting in trouble for doing the wrong thing is always there. I would rather JS be as careful as possible than risk anything that would extend his time away from us.

I too originally thought the pictures posted the other day were a very careful hello to the fans and was touched to see them. I guess I'm someone who likes to be sure and I find it hard to live in that in-between where nothing is being directly addressed. I'm very glad I spoke up though because you've made me feel a lot better.

Edited by hilllllllly
  • Like 5

Glad you are feeling better, @hilllllllly. I'm sure that he also feels a bit blank not being able to post whenever he feels like it. I mean, he posts often when he is on his own time! But already, doing ps instead of active military is a bit of a strike against him, even if he can't help it. (Knee injury from 8th grade.) He said he wanted to go in quietly, without a big fanfare, and I think he just does not want to stir up any netizen ire. There is a certain element that loves to pick fault at celebrities, and he just really does not need that in his life!

I guess it's time for a 600-day marathon of Jongsuk's complete works. :) 

• Like 5

4 hours ago, lanieqp said:

For thousands of years, it had been nature that had a monopoly on awe...but then on the 14th of September 1989...Mr. Lee was born.

Awww, you make my day with that statement of yours , dear @lanieqp ... Thank you so much.

Looking forward to your quotes :heart:

• Like 4

On 5/7/2019 at 3:53 PM, frozentundra said:

I guess it's time for a 600-day marathon of Jongsuk's complete works. :) 

Full disclosure... I haven't seen I Hear Your Voice or Hymn of Death. :vicx: I knew this day would come and wanted to save something old and something new. It's only been 2 months and I honestly have no clue how I'm going to wait much longer.  

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, hilllllllly said:

Full disclosure... I haven't seen I Hear Your Voice or Hymn of Death. :vicx: I knew this day would come and wanted to save something old and something new. It's only been 2 months and I honestly have no clue how I'm going to wait much longer.  

Don't wait, man!! Go for it! Watch IHYV AND HOD! They're soooo good...you'd want to watch them over and over again. Before you knew it, JS had already finished his MS for months! Yeah, that's how good they are! :D:lol:

• Like 4