Has anyone tried "Gooey Duck" clam? Sashimi? Fried? Boiled? In a sushi?

NPB-XK

AKA geoduck etc... A clam that looks like a p3n0r...
Gooey ducks were first originated from Vancouver BC (Canada) as far as I know... Then they spread around Washington state...

I've never tasted it before but has anyone tasted it? Is it good? And what's your preference if you ever had to "cook" and eat it? Sashimi, sushi, fried, boiled (soup?), etc...

45750968_c93f3604ba_b.jpg

It gets longer, shorter, harder, softer, it jerks off, pisses around, has what resembles to a pair of testicles once you cut the shell part open, you take its skin off and it looks like taking a condom off, etc... Overall, it doesn't look like a clam that kids should see...

You can find a lot of videos on Youtube...

Including one from "Dirty Jobs" show from Discover Channel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZhQLoYIbJ4

Any opinion on its taste or anything?

Guest AMIbunny

This thing is hella good!! hahaha gooey duck? Er i googled it, its called Geoduck. i never knew what it was called in English. I just had it for hot pot last night :) Very nice.

I actually like eating this a lot. The texture and taste is very nice. It is ideal for hot pot or stir fry =].

It does look very tasty when I watched some Youtube videos (but people were eating it raw with sauce)... It's rare in my city (all the way from East haha). But I thought I should try it someday. Hot pot... Hmmm doesn't it get hard and chewy? I dunno why I'm thinking about squids all of a sudden...

This thing is hella good!! hahaha gooey duck? Er i googled it, its called Geoduck. i never knew what it was called in English. I just had it for hot pot last night :) Very nice.

Yeah it's written Geoduck but pronounced as Gooey duck somehow and we could also write it as "gooey duck"... That's why there are many names to call it (and the way we write it)...

Didn't the Chinese call it "penis clam" or something like that? HAHA...

Thanks for the info though, apparently, it's nice for hot pot! I should try that...

I wonder if it would work in Korean BBQ... :P

No one has tried it raw?

Guest Clu3less

my favorite way to eat geoduck is raw. it's a nice and interesting texture and goes great with wasabi and soy sauce

my take is that if you like sashimi/raw seafood then chances are you'll enjoy geoduck raw too.

Guest c0lap1nada

It does look very tasty when I watched some Youtube videos (but people were eating it raw with sauce)... It's rare in my city (all the way from East haha). But I thought I should try it someday. Hot pot... Hmmm doesn't it get hard and chewy? I dunno why I'm thinking about squids all of a sudden...

Yeah it's written Geoduck but pronounced as Gooey duck somehow and we could also write it as "gooey duck"... That's why there are many names to call it (and the way we write it)...

Didn't the Chinese call it "penis clam" or something like that? HAHA...

Thanks for the info though, apparently, it's nice for hot pot! I should try that...

I wonder if it would work in Korean BBQ... :P

No one has tried it raw?

Well... we call it zeong bat pong in Cantonese.

As sashimi it's decent... Tastes better than it does in hot pot.

In Japanese they call it "Mirugai" though I think... Yet I saw none in many sushi bars menu over here in Montreal...

A live geoduck costs over $70 (for its super fresh meat)... (ranging from 70 to 200 bucks because of exportation since I don't live near Washington state or BC province) Am I getting a good price? :lol:

Thanks for the opinions! Hot pot for the win then!

My boss says it is to die for. He swears the long part is the best kind of sashimi ever. He said to use the clam parts (inside the shell) stir friend. He says it cost like 100 bucks a piece so for 70 bucks that is a deal. It seems right, you figure about market price is $30/lb. If I find some I intend to try it.

• 2 weeks later...

I eat so much of it.. it doesn't really have a taste to it ? Well tastes like seafood.

My dad puts into congee and we have gooeyduck congee.

it's chewy 

Archived