[Drama 2011] Dream High 드림하이

debbieleung

• Replies 5.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest sthao22

Can someone tell me if the region3 DVD set has good English subtitles? Do they sub the singing parts too? I bought the 24.99 DVD set from yesasia.com and the singing parts or background music is not subbed. Thanks!

2011 KBS Drama Awards

WINNERS LIST

Daesang: Shin Ha-kyun (Brain)

Top Excellence:

Actor: Park Shi-hoo (The Princess’s Man)

Actress: Moon Chae-won (The Princess’s Man)

Excellence Awards:

Daily Drama, Actor: Ji Chang-wook (Smile Dong Hae)

Daily Drama, Actress: Do Ji-won (Smile Dong Hae)

Miniseries, Actor: Jung Jin-young (Brain), Daniel Choi (Baby-Faced Beauty)

Miniseries, Actress: Jang Nara (Baby-Faced Beauty)

Mid-length Drama, Actor: Chun Jung-myung (Man of Honor)

Mid-length Drama, Actress: Hong Soo-hyun (The Princess’s Man)

Serial Drama, Actor: Lee Tae-gon (King Gwanggaeto)

Serial Drama, Actress: Kim Ja-ok (Ojakkyo Brothers)

Supporting Actor: Jung Woong-in (Ojakkyo Brothers, King Geunchogo)

Supporting Actress: Park Jung-ah (Smile Dong Hae, Only You), Lee Yoon-ji (Dream High)

Newcomer Award, Actor: Kim Soo-hyun (Dream High), Lee Jang-woo (Man of Honor), Joo-won (Ojakkyo Brothers)

Newcomer Award, Actress: Bae Suzy (Dream High), UEE (Ojakkyo Brothers)

Netizens’ Award: Shin Ha-kyun (Brain), Choi Jung-won (Brain)

Popularity Award: Park Shi-hoo (The Princess’s Man), Kim Soo-hyun (Dream High), Moon Chae-won (The Princess’s Man), Han Hye-jin (Thorn Birds)

One-Act Special, Actor: Choi Su-jong (For My Son), Lee Hee-joon (Cupid Factory, Identical Criminals, Perfect Spy)

One-Act Special, Actress: Han Eun-jung (400 Year Dream), Eugene  (Princess Hwa-pyung’s Weight Loss)

Youth Actor: Park Hee-gun (Ojakkyo Brothers), Kim Hwan-hee (Believe in Love, The Houseguest and Mother, Only You)

Best Couple:

Park Shi-hoo & Moon Chae-won (The Princess’s Man),

Ryu Soo-young & Choi Jung-yoon (Ojakkyo Brothers),

Kim Soo-hyun & Bae Suzy (Dream High),

Lee Min-woo & Hong Soo-hyun (The Princess’s Man),

Shin Ha-kyun & Choi Jung-won (Brain)

Writer Award: Lee Jung-sun (Ojakkyo Brothers)

Thanks to Dramabeans.

Dream High in LAtin America!!!!!!

Since this monday in Peru television OMG!!!! all of them speaking spanish OMG!!!

hi! i'm so happy that can see DH on my TV :)... if u wanna see it sp. dubbed go to http://www.panamericana.pe/tvenvivo from Monday to friday at 8pm -peruvian time... or just see teaser of each episode here: http://www.youtube.com/user/doramapanamericanatv?feature=watch

and ....congrats to Soo Hyun and Suzy for their awards!!!!:w00t:

Guest joedorama

Did a little tribute to dream high in anticipation for season 2 coming in a couple weeks

http://doramakings.wordpress.com/2012/01/13/do-ream-high/

Guest showoff

Just finished the series.  Thought it was quite good, but the last two episodes felt rushed and could've been done better to "end" the stories.  Overall, 8/10.

Hi all :)

since both suzy and KSH are doing cameo , it would have been great to see what happened between hye mi and sam dong . What do you all think ? by the looks of it seems like all of them will be doing separate cameo :( .Also are there any sam dong and hye mi deleted scenes ?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest lucky21

I was wondering if there is an mp3 of IU singing "video killed the radio star" I wish she did a full cover cause her voice is so soothing for the song. Has anyone tried cutting the background noise from the drama? I found another version of the song on youtube where she performs on tv but not really great quality in the song.

Thanks guys :)

AHHHH!!!

I didn't really like the ending

it sucks that they didn't end up togetherT^T

I have to agree on this ... and I was actually hoping that Dream High 2, with KSH cameo that there could be mention or hint of them being together .. it would be awesome ... but I still love it ... ordering my DVD for this!!! :D

^ same.

The ending of this actually made me disappointed with the drama. Really wanted Hyemi and Jin-kook to end up together... D:

Pil-suk's character was really cute and lovable, both chubby and skinny. :)

Overall, it was pretty good. Good suspense and I liked how they kept us guessing who "K" was until the end. :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest gail0623

KBS's Dream High Nominated for Rose d'Or - Global Entertainment TV Festival

by: adikkeluangman

February 28, 2012

7af39d77e1a2a5665fac03a4a663f781_large.jpg

Korea has received a nomination for the upcoming Rose d’Or Festival, which is a global entertainment festival.

KBS' drama Dream High received a nomination under the Youth category and will be going up against United Kingdom's Leonardo: Wing and a Prayer and Germany's You're Not a Werewolf.

Being one of the world’s most celebrated entertainment TV festivals, the Rose d’Or Festival held its Nominees Night 2012 in Kuala Lumpur on February 28. It’s the first time in the festival’s 50-year history that the event was held in an Asian venue.

The Rose d’Or Festival was founded in 1961 in Montreux, Switzerland. The annual event sees the participation of TV professionals, producers, managers of private and public TV stations, and production company heads from 40 countries. Since its beginning, it has been an important networking platform for ideas.

The event revealed the three nominees in each of the 12 categories for the 51st Rose d’Or Global Entertainment TV Festival. These were chosen from hundreds of entries by a 50-member jury made up of TV industry leaders worldwide.

Winners of the various categories will be revealed during the 51st Rose d’Or Global Entertainment TV Festival, which will run from May 6-10 in Lucerne, Switzerland.

http://www.soompi.com/news/kbss-dream-high-nominated-for-rose-dor-global-entertainment-tv-festival

Guest thefantasticworld

if you guys like the soundtrack, you guys should check out musings of a twinkie. she's giving away this OST for her montly giveaway. the link is in my signature!!! :) hope you guys win~

I have to agree on this ... and I was actually hoping that Dream High 2, with KSH cameo that there could be mention or hint of them being together .. it would be awesome ... but I still love it ... ordering my DVD for this!!! :D

Well they can't really show what happens to SamDong Hyemi because technically dream high 2 is in 2012. But the ending of dream high season 1 already jumped ahead to 2018...

So the Samdong that cameo'd in DH2 hasn't won the Grammy's yet... if we try to go strictly by canon time line

• 2 weeks later...
Guest altinneen

Comparing Dream High 1 to Dream High 2

It is very clear that they were both 2 very different shows with very different goals. The first was an attempt to reach an audience with a touching story and a few \moving performances while the second was kind of an attempt to imitate/ride the success of the first season as well as the success of musical shows like Glee etc which were very popular with the teen market.

Let's compare stories

DH1- a group of students deficient in someway or another, not admitted through the regular process have to fight their way past all the bias in the world and unequal playing field to prove their worth. Each individual has their own unique story with seemingly a lot more at stake than their DH2 counterparts. In many ways it's just a much more mature story and quite a bit more touching. It's quite a bit grander too as they go to Japan and on tour etc. 

The love story. This is a lot more intricate and takes a lot more time to develop. It seems organic, subtle, and at various times heart wrenching.

DH2- some idols come back to school and they're arrogant and no one really likes them. But they are put in competition against the regular students for a super idol group...the characters are afforded similar training circumstances and frankly, there is just less of a reason to be invested in them. They're not very complex characters and even the ones that undergo transformation do so in the most 1 dimensional light-switch type way. There's no subtle developments...it's very in your face. There's nothing organic about the love story either and that reaches it's peak with the deus ex machina of the rubix cube HS just happened to give JB one day. It's just  a much less mature story aimed at kids a lot younger that just wanna see their stars sing on the same stage episode after episode.

Compare performances/music-

DH1- Every performance was memorable and unique. I'm not just talking about the stage performances. I mean even their performances done as training or as individuals on their own (ex Hye Mi singing in the outhouse in the snow) were touching in a way that the ones in dream high 2 just aren't. In DH1 they all contribute to the story. They all serve a purpose , either to illustrate a certain quality about a character or to show how they're developing both as performers and  people. As an example, that DH1 flash mob scene left such a strong impression that it's been imitated countless places around the world and was just one of those moments in a drama that you remember way after the season ends. It's a moment you're just like wow, that was awesome, and you can say that the show moved you in a way that very few dramas did that year or ever. Even that one scene where they're training and they go to sing to Tacyeon's friend is more meaningful than any of the ones from season 2.

DH2- There were so many meaningless performances I can't remember half of them. So much were just for show, cause you know the audience likes watching people dance. And all the performances seem the same. They're all part of the same competition on the same stage with 1 or 2 exceptions being broadcast on the internet. And they don't really show how the performers have developed. Half the characters look exactly the same performing their first song and their last song. None of the performances really carry the weight of the ones in DH1. Frankly they weren't very critical at all and very forgettable.

Cast:

DH1- There's no question the acting itself was far superior in DH1. Suzy, Tacyeon, Kim Soo Hyun, Eun Jung, Woo Young, and IU all outperform their counterparts. They at least show they can act. Even if Hye Mi rarely shows much expression on her face with a smile, she's able to do stuff in the way she talks and with her actions that betray her emotions in what can only be considered excellent acting. And of course Kim Soo Hyun can act with the best of them.

DH2- With the exceptions of Jiyeon, Yoo Jin, and maybe some of the side characters the acting is terrible. As bland as cardboard. A few characters have only one expression to make the whole show. JB in particular sucks at acting. He has either angry face or love sick puppy face. HS the same way. Crying/moping face or annoyingly happy face. Again very forgettable performances.

At the end of the day there's just no comparison

Guest jeansile

I know it might be too late to comment on this thread...but I've just finished watching DREAM HIGH...YES! I am one year late in the discussions...

There are a lot of things I'd like to say about it, but as I have not slept well for 2 days now, I'm just going to comment on the ending first!

I LOVE THE ENDING!!!

I've been going back to comments here, but I haven't yet encountered a post that expresses the same reading that I have of the ending..

The juxtaposition of the scenes from 2010, 2011 and 2018 means one thing to me: with the realization of their dreams comes the realization of HM/SD's love...

HM in the end challenges SD to reach his full potential as an artist because, as the story has established, he is gifted and has great determination...

HM recognized that SD can become someone great..She knows that she has to let him fly..

But as HM flies, he does not fly away from love...as a matter of fact, i daresay he flies towards it..

Although he chose the long and lonelier path,

In doing so, he chooses to bring his love to a whole new level, to reach its full potential, as opposed to fickle teenage love.

Therefore, in the end, we can conclude that their love is stronger. And it has made both HM and SD stronger.

The main representation of SD's dream throughout the drama has always been HM...

It started with HM, so it should end with HM...as neat as how the other plots in the story seem to come full circle..

And in the end, the necklace does not merely symbolize his dream, but also his love.

So, in this case it's only rational that if SD gets the girl, then he should also be K...

What makes SD deserve to be K? Is it because he is gifted, a genius, a cinderella man?

What makes him K, what makes him special, what makes him fly and dream high, is the fact that unlike the others,

who may be motivated by their desire for fame, for glory, for money, for the spotlight, for status, for recognition, for fun...

He doesn't care about all those things...

SD's motivation, his pursuit, his ultimate DREAM... has always been LOVE! It has been that way for him from the very start.

That's what really sets him apart from the rest.

And we know how strongly he holds onto this DREAM...we've witnessed it.

Because both dream and love are tied together in this drama...

So in conclusion, the ending indicates a new chapter in HM/SD's love that is left to one's imagination.

So yes, it is a happy ending..but of course, everyone is free to interpret it the way they want to...

Guest meisk

KBS’ ‘Dream High’ to be made into a musical in Japan

KBS2 drama series ‘Dream High‘ will be turned into a musical in Japan.

According to a report released by a Japanese entertainment media outlet March 21st, KBS ‘Dream High’ season 1, which was first broadcast in January of last year, will be turned into a musical in Japan.

The first performance is scheduled to take place at Tokyo’s New National Theatre on July 3rd, and the musical will be based off the hit drama series.

The drama ‘Dream High’ was co-produced by actor Bae Yong Jun of ‘Key East‘ and J.Y. Park of ‘JYP Entertainment‘. The first season featured miss A‘s Suzy, 2PM‘s Taecyeon & Wooyoung, T-ara‘s Eunjung, IU, along with Kim Soo Hyun, Uhm Ki Joon, Lee Yoon Ji, and more. In Kim Soo Hyun’s case, his role in ‘Dream High’ was a stepping stone towards becoming a top star, seizing a role in ‘The Moon That Embraces The Sun‘ which recently came to an end.

In the musical, the role of ‘Song Sam Dong’, which was originally played by Kim Soo Hyun, will be taken on by Matsumini coopera Yuya, the youngest person to perform at Michael Jackson’s commemoration stage, and the role of ‘Jin Gook’, originally played by Taecyeon, will played by Mizuta Kouki.

The musical will be put on from July 3rd to the 20th, and tickets will begin selling May 27th.

This is great. I just googled Yuya..He's cute and has a nice voice. :) I'm not familiar with them but I think they had experience with musical. I wonder who's gonna play Hyemi.

Yuya Matsumini coopera - Lonely Rain PV

Archived