[Drama 2010] Stormy Lovers / Hurricane Couple 폭풍의 연인

Ayame

LOL @ Mullet and Moustache - very apt indeed. I just marathoned the Hwanhee cuts and really liked the bits where Hara and Taehee were having fun with Philip and Hara's dog (so cute!). I think Hwanhee is improving bit by bit in every episode, though he can still do better in the angsty scenes - there's always that half-smirk lurking about somehow.

As for Hyungchul, have to agree that it's hard to make out just what he does for Segi (I'm basing this off the recaps I read). It's like they just want to show Mullet is all powerful and able to make even someone like Hyungchul - himself from a prestigious family - do whatever he wants him to do. Or maybe it just shows that Hyungchul at this point can't really stand up for himself (against Mullet), but Eunhye will help him find his true self and true calling? I dunno.

I wish they'd made this 50 episodes rather than 100+, the storyline would have been tighter and we wouldn't be going around in circles half the time. I wish Moustache would just make his damn film already! :sweatingbullets:

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Guest misspinky

those shoots are pretty. aeri is actually rather pretty. i was so consumed with her "ugly" character when compared to the "pretty" eun hye that i didn't realize she was pretty. but i'm still rooting for hyung chul and eun hye.

does anyone know that song that is played in while EH and HC were driving? at first i thought it was kim jong wook's only you but today there was a girl singing to it. thanks in advance!

Thanks semi-fly for always posting the torrents! I've watched Hwanhee cuts up to ep 32 (and read the recaps as well), have to say I'm liking how warm the relationship is between Madam Min and Hara. I think it's so nice that for once we don't have a mother who's out to wreck her children's relationships - instead, Taehee is the more uptight one while Madam Min is charmed by Hara. I hope she keeps on being supportive of Hara since he sorely needs a proper mother figure in his life.

Also liking what little I've seen of Taejoon and Narim, I hope they get back together by the end of the drama.

I've just discovered this drama and i must say it's got me interested. It's got a certain charm which hooked me in and now I'm really liking it. It's dasappointing that subs aren't up-to-date at viki but oh well what can you do.

It's the first drama I'm watching without subs and completely relying on recaps.

A BIG THANKYOU TO ALL WHO HELP US NON-KOREAN SPEAKERS TO UNDERSTAND AND ENJOY THESE DRAMAS WITH YOU!!! ;o)

Love the Lee household. Eun-hye is sooo sweet, caring, sensible, intelligent and not forgetting beautiful. Hyung-chul should hurry up, realize his feelings for her and grab hold of her before she slips through his fingers!

Ha-ra and Yoon-hee have great chemistry. I'm loving their verbal battles.

I wonder if there's a romance blooming between eric and Hyung-sook. I don't know if I read it right but I think that that would be interesting.

I'm still at the early stages of the drama so he's me hoping.

Thanks once again I will be looming around this thread every now and then.

=O)

Oh no! Bad news, the drama has been cut to 50 episodes! :blink: I did say I wanted 50 eps, but that was from the start, not to have the drama cut halfway :( This sucks. It's horrible of MBC to take such a drastic step, I'm so angry now fury.gif

MBC cuts another drama short, angers people

by javabeans | January 11, 2011 | 1 Comment

I have not followed the drama Stormy Lovers, but I admit my interest is piqued by the latest news that the MBC drama is being cancelled, cut short by more than half its run due to low ratings.

Stormy Lovers is a daily drama, which means it airs Monday Through Friday (in the 8 pm hour). In my wholly unscientific recollection of past daily dramas, because of the steady dinnertime audience, it’s not unusual for dailies to pull in 30%+ ratings, and sometimes even 40%+. (Examples: You’re My Destiny, Everybody Cha Cha Cha, Smile Donghae.) So it’s disappointing that Stormy Lovers has been resting in the 5% to 8% range. Even if I recall reading quite a bit of criticism about the bad acting of lead actress Choi Eun-seo (of Personal Taste, in her first leading role).

Still, it seems a bit harsh to cut the drama down from 120 planned episodes to 50. The move — call it cancellation, call it curtailment — is also a particularly rare circumstance for a daily show. There have been cases of miniseries being cut short, but even then it’s usually only by a few episodes; Bad Guy went from 20 to 17, Strike Love and Tamra the Island from 20 to 16, and Ja Myung Go from 50 to 39.

Scriptwriter Na Yeon-sook has spoken out harshly against the move, saying that the cut is wrong and unreasonable. She added, “The broadcast station’s tyranny has caused this supremacy of the viewership ratings. I cannot understand cutting a drama as though it were a radish.”

You may recognize Na’s name after she kicked up quite a fuss (to put it mildly) over being cut from her previous drama, East of Eden. She added the (somewhat ironic, given the resumé?) comment that “If a drama has high ratings, the station protects it no matter how makjang it is, but if ratings are low, they just hack it up, which infuriates me.”

One veteran actor in the drama’s cast said, “These days MBC is continually losing to its competitors. I believe they are reacting with too quick a temper after their attempt to reverse the situation with star writers and actors has failed.”

A rep from MBC merely stated that this decision came after internal discussion, and that they will approach the handling of actors’ and producers’ contract stipulations accordingly.

This means that Stormy Lovers, which today aired its 36th episode, will only run till the end of this month. It stars Choi Eun-seo, Lee Jae-yoon, Jung Bo-seok, Sohn Chang-min, Choi Myung-gil, Jung Chan, Shim Hye-jin, Hwanhee, Kim Min-ja, and Cha Soo-yeon.

Courtesy of dramabeans: http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/01/mbc-cuts-another-drama-short-angers-people/

Sigh. I agree with semi-fly that the story is a mess, but I was hoping that things would pick up, especially now that Woohee has revealed her secret and Hara needs to get over his animosity towards his mother. And the Hyungchul-Eunhye-Aeri-Taehoon love square finally gets going... sorta. I guess I was more angry and sad on Hwanhee's behalf, I thought he was doing okay - not spectacularly, but still serviceable as Hara, and I was enjoying his parts.

I'll stick to the end too, like jina. But MBC really has to stop being so drastic with its dramas - as it is, its Wednesday-Thursday slots are already plagued by poor ratings.

Read from zealioner's site that Stormy Lovers is back to 70 episodes and will now end in late February rather than January. Hopefully this will allow the writer to sort out the plot issues in a more satisfactory manner.

Click to read: http://justdramas.wordpress.com/2011/01/13/stormy-lovers-can-we-hope-for-a-smooth-extension/

Cancellation delayed for MBC’s Stormy Lovers

by javabeans | January 16, 2011 | 2 Comments

MBC attracted some ire for cutting its daily drama Stormy Lovers, which recently got slashed from 120 planned episodes down to 50, drawing particular anger from its writer and some of its cast. A few days after the initial announcement, the station amended their decision, giving the drama 70 total episodes before its early cutoff.

The drama has been pulling in pretty low ratings for an evening daily drama, with numbers in the 5% to 7% range despite its well-known writer (Na Yeon-sook of East of Eden) and PD (Go Dong-sun of Queen of Housewives).

It has reportedly earned the backing of fans for its self-professed avoidance of the “makjang code” (and since people keep asking what that is, I’ll direct you to the glossary, which is linked in the footer) with its tales of reconciliation, forgiveness, and tolerance. I can’t tell you if the drama was successful in that respect; perhaps regular viewers can speak to that. (Funny, since I’d actually thought it was supposed to be fairly makjang. But I could be wrong.)

I don’t think there’s something inherently wrong with cutting loose a show that isn’t performing, and in the States, shows are cut much more brutally. However, I think the issue isn’t the cut itself, but the way it was handled: The show airs its 40th episode tomorrow, and news about the cut to 50 episodes was released last week, giving the drama a mere two weeks to wrap up stories it thought it had half a year to complete. It’s odd that with MBC struggling so much with its programming, it then goes and seems to deliberately set its shows up to fail.

There’s also something to be said for the industry culture; despite the ease with which shows are cancelled in Hollywood, that isn’t the norm with K-dramas. It’s considered a rare enough occasion when miniseries are cut a few episodes, but dailies are almost never given that treatment, and certainly not in such drastic quantities. So the anger makes sense to me.

Furthermore, I wonder if the move will hamper the follow-up drama, which suddenly has a lot less time to prepare. It’s a traditional melodrama titled I Trusted Men and comes from writer Joo Chang-ok of 2007′s Lobbyist (from high-budget action dramas to dailies? Interesting switch) and PD Lee Eun-kyu, who produced Coffee Prince, HIT, and Woman of Matchless Beauty Park Jung-geum.

In any case, this means means that Stormy Lovers will now wrap at the end of February. Actor Jung Bo-seok said, “Recently, the plot has improved… The relationships between the characters are also getting more interesting. I’m sorry that we’ve been thrown into chaos. I hope you’ll remain interested in the drama through the end.”

Via Star News, Now News

Article courtesy of dramabeans: http://www.dramabeans.com/2011/01/cancellation-delayed-for-mbcs-stormy-lovers/

Except maybe for Daekwon finding his daughter...looked like he had another chance to be able to see Eun-hye towards the end of EP 42, but no, another "missed" chance. What is with the writer?! And why did Tae-hoon take Eun-hye to see Aeri?

Guest Bijan630

Hello everyone,

It's been a while and I've been following this drama, unsubbed, and only finding the episode write-ups on viikii yesterday. Reading that this drama is going to be hacked to pieces is kind of sad. I started getting a bit confused by the change in some of the characters roles.

Eun-hye is a sweet heart. She's got a strong spirit, a kind heart, and compassion. She's a unique, rare gem that would be hard to find considering the times we live in today. It's also amazing how after growing up sheltered from the outside world on an island, she has capabilities of performing a verbal sword play with Yoo Ae-ri. I won't go any further right now about the scenes between these two. I find Yoo Ae-ri's part extremely cruel towards Eun-hye even though the reason why is so obvious to everyone but.....

Lee Hyung-chul.....an over achiever, excelling at everything, defender of the weak, never knowing failure, and never knowing about women and love. He's got the perfect family environment, raised and taught about business ethics and morals. He's not being pushed by his parents or grandmother to get married and have babies now! His family isn't interested, so far as I can see, for him to marry for wealth and status. They even run their hotel based on their own family values rather than seeking enormous profit.

So how does he jump straight into the dark realm and easily fend off vicious businessmen, gangsters, without a second thought so easily? I guess it's just another day in the wealthy neighborhood to go on an outing with your boss, only to find yourself in the position of watching someone pull a gun out and attempt to kill your boss, only to find out later on that it's his own brother. Aaahhh, there must have been special courses he had taken for that called....."Things To Do To Succeed In Business That Honest Families Don't Teach You".

I think that instead of the storyline having Lee Hyung-Chul going after Ae-ri and wanting to work for her father's company, they should have had it where the father, Yoo Dae-won, was using his daughter, Yoo Ae-ri to go after Lee Hyung-Chul. Something along the lines of the good guy not wanting to work for such a corrupt businessman.

I also become confused when it comes to this clean cut character, defender of the weak, sitting, standing, driving around with Eun-hye and Ae-ri being totally unaware of Ae-ri's true character. Ae-ri is sarcastic each time she opens her mouth to speak to Eun-hye and if she were a poker player, she'd lose every game because of what's written on her face. The champion in shining armor that was presented to us would have defended Eun-hye without hesitation even before he started to realize he might have feelings for her. Yet he's there, his eyes looking like a deer caught in car headlights, unable to move or function while Eun-hye spews venom. Having grown up in his family environment, he wouldn't tolerate this behavior, regardless of how wealthy she is. So why is he so speechless and afraid to stand up to Yoo Aei-ri?

Lee Tae-hee and Im Ha-ra.......please make them a couple, please make them a couple, please make them a couple!!!! It's extremely amusing to watch these two as they do their mating dance, even without subs. There's a spark that lights up in Im Ha-ra's eyes and that wry smile that comes upon his face when he teases Lee Tae-hee. I always look forward to their scenes.

With the loose strings that we are left with in this drama, I'll continue to watch it until the very end. I'm curious to see whether the writers will allow Lee Hyung-chul and Eun-hye become one, or they will have Eun-hye become the self-sacrificing character telling Lee Hyung-chul to stay with Yoo Ae-ri because she needs his love.

Archived