[Drama 2010] Smile, Dong-hae / Smile Again 웃어라 동해야

Guest fanda4000

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hye Sook doesn't seem to be at all snobby to Anna or was it explained that Anna is "different" and shouldn't be yelled at/harassed, etc.? It seems as if Hye Sook has taken a liking to her so is it possible that Hye Sook's snobbishness towards Sun Ok is rooted in the families prior dealings (someone said that the Kim's had tried to ruin the Lee's agrobusiness at one point) instead of the typical class/social differences that we normally see?

In the last episode (46), Hye Sook did say that she admired Dong-Hae's and Anna's perseverance and general sensible qualities which accounts for her softening attitude to them. She doesn't know yet that Sun-Ok is a member of the family that her husband ruined. When Kim Joon brought Hye-Sook to that cheap SamGyupSal Restaurant, she was all snooty about it even though it was a place that her husband thought fondly of. So in that sense I think she is very much prejudice in terms of her social and physical environment. That and the fact that she has very particular ideas on how someone like her should behave, noting how she orders SaeHwa around based on her own personal standards of being a "good wife".

When things get out I assume Hye Sook's disposition will change significantly but if I'm not mistaken she was the the root cause of Kim Joon & Anna's separation. Unfortunately I don't see there being an understanding/agreement coming from either side since they'd still need to involve Doo Jin, Sae Wa, and Dong-hae in that revelation and quite frankly it's only going to get uglier between these three.

Yeah, I do see it getting uglier, but the way Sae-Hwa is really interfering in things, I think Hye-Sook will have more issues against a liar than an innocent woman.

Any thoughts on the fallout of the cooking competition or the closing minutes of the last episode. I don't really see Doo Jin finally realizing there was something going on between Dong-hae and Sae Wa just yet (writers have a way of prolonging stuff like this way past its shelf life). In addition to that I'm curious to see if "what's-her-name-who-eats-salad-with-chopsticks" stays around or if she was just brought in to add a little fire under Bong Yi bonnet.

The writers are no doubt going to keep that salad-chopsticks girl around as, really, there is nothing that will interfere with Bong-Yi and Dong-Hae's relationship. Yes, Sae-Hwa will undermine their success in their job and finding James, but I don't see her breaking them up anytime soon, not after the way the writers totally killed off any sensibility in her.

I kind wish they didn't spend any time on the Do-Jin/Sae-Hwa story. Right now, he's just a footnote in the grand scheme of things. He literally pops in and out, not having a clue as to what's going on. And, in the short moments he does appear, he keeps looking like he's constipated or something. Dude, I know you hate Dong-Hae, but relieve yourself already.

i am sick of the whole everytime sae hwa does something bad....something equally surprising keeps happening to her. Its kind of over the top and frustrating.

Hi,

I'm debating whether to watch this drama (not a fan of 100+ dramas) but my husband thinks it's pretty good (he watched it on TV few times) so I might give it a try later once it's finished.

I've been reading few posts here and there but since I'm not familiar with the characters, I'm confused as to who is who. I've checked the first page but I know see character's name next to face picture, only list of names with couple of pictures with names.

Is there somewhere I can see character name with the "fact" picture?

Thank you so much.

Guest crzyblue4

Does anyone know what "Ms. Chopsticks" (sorry still don't know name) role is in the kitchen. I mean we all know she can cook, but like what is her position? She has a gray slash instead of a black one like everyone else so I assumed she was higher, but during the cooking contest, she was in it like everyone else and the head chef was a judge. I would assume she also be one of the judges, judging by the way she walked in kitchen when she was first introduced.

oh boy ... i thought Mi Pung was really cute in Sons of Sol Pharmacy. but am so not liking him much in this drama. how long more do i have to see him crying like a sissy over Sae Hwa? it's making me want to throw my remote at my tv. :ph34r:

i don't really like the actress who played Bong Yi from her previous role in 3 Brothers which I find annoying but she's growing on me a little here. poor Pil-jae ... i hope he escape that tawdry woman (mother of Sae Hwa & that ditzy girl) clutches even if he & Anna are not meant to be together ... his daughter is so effing cute!!

that ditzy sister of Sae Hwa is so darn annoying!!

I think Ms Chopsticks is the 2nd in charge of the hotel kitchen...

well here we go again, how is Sae Hwa going to get out of this one? Do Jin's friend revealed everything and situation looks tense.

the whole Anna and Pil Jae thing is funny and Pil Jae totally put Dong Hae in his place.

LOL@ semi-fly: "tell me when the men in the white coats and big fish net are coming round to take her back to the sanitarium. " hahaha

Sool Nyeo is definitely annoying. She had the potential to be funnily cute kind of character in the beginning if she didn't actually keep on irritating Donghae and his mom. I mean the way she swoons over Pil Jae is cute at times. They've some comedic scenes that are funny. This actress is good in being annoyingly funny at times especially since unstoppable high kick, i find that she got a good sense of comedy flair.

I'm weary of the older generation's hate toward each other and especially SaeWa's mom..

Actually, i'm VERY tired of the whole SaeWa, her mom, and Dojin. I think their characters are super bizzare and flawed.

I think the problem lies with the screenwriter who makes some of the characters so illogically dumb or overreacting too much.

On the up side, Donghae and Bongyi kiss is super cute, at least there's some progress. I really hope that the whole drama is only about these 2 and maybe Piljae+Anna, that will be cute.

How much more rejection can Sool Nyeo take? I mean, why try and convince the guy that even if he doesn't like you, living/growing old together will bring out the love that he lacks?

Caricature is fine, yes, but considering Sool Nyeo made such a big deal to Sun Ok about how she wants nothing to do with their family, why the heck is she still going after Pil Jae?

I wonder if Do-Jin will also turn to the dark side? He's been so focused on wanting "pure" things and following principles (yelling at SaeHwa for copying the recipe from Dong-Hae/Bong-Yi), I can see he will "turn" just like SaeHwa. If anything, that will make things more interesting for the characters as *yawn* I'm so bored of him right now.

I'll add a question: What's going on between Tae Hoon & Sae Young in episode (50)? I've noticed that they seem to be squabbling a bit lately. I don't want to chalk it up to them being new parents, it seems to go deeper than that (anything to do with Sool Nyeo and her scheming ways).

The latest issue has been taking part in the Death Anniversary of Tae-Hoon's grandfather. Sae-Young didn't want to take part in it, saying that her father's Death Anniversary was the same day.

Prior to that argument, Tae-Hoon was annoyed that, after Sun-Ok found out she was working under Kim Joon and made a big scene, Sae-Young complained how her mother-in-law's behavior reflects badly on her directly. And prior to that, Tae-Hoon was annoyed and commented on the Sool Neyo's irrational hysterics which annoyed Sae-Young who countered that Tae-Hoon elevating his family as "perfect" is irrational as well....she has a point in all cases, I admit after writing it out like this, but I think the whole point of Tae-Hoon is that she's self-centered and careless. I can see that, while she has valid points, rather than jumping on the defensive, she should be understanding first, and then reasonably discuss her views after...but of course, that won't happen :)

I will note that Tae-Hoon did "compromise" in that he said they should attend his grandfather's death anniversary for a bit and then return to honour Sae-Young's father's death anniversary. Considering she flat out said no, that was his impetus for storming out.

Archived