[Drama 2010] Smile, Dong-hae / Smile Again 웃어라 동해야

Guest fanda4000

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

aeka: Have they explained why Bong Yi seems to be sticking around Anna and Dong-hae so much?

When Bong Yi begged Dong-Hae to keep her job, she promised him that she'd do anything that he'd ask. Later, after her water balloon fiasco, Dong-Hae called in that request. He needed someone to watch Anna while he was practicing and also wanted Bong-Yi's help to propose to Sae Hwa since she was her friend and could provide insights and advantages to that end. He even made her sign a handwritten contract, a definitely overused KDrama convention. That's why she's always around.

As for Sae Wa, at least in today's episode, I honestly can't fathom why she acted the way she did with Anna. It seems with every passing episode we see more and more of her flaws and greed. I was pretty shock what she did with Anna, given her history with Dong-hae and Anna she should know better than to simply kick her out of her car just so that she could run off to meet Do Jin (something could be said about "the body not even cold and she's already getting into bed with the next guy").

When Dong-Hae recalls his memories with Sae Hwa in New York, he always includes Anna or assumes Sae Hwa sees Anna as part of the same unit, but Sae Hwa seems to only recall Dong-Hae. In the last episode, she mentioned that being with him was a dream, but after she left and returned to Korea, she woke up to reality. Taking care of Dong-Hae's mentally challenged mother was certainly not part of that dream, but I think the reality also implied that she only tolerated Anna for Dong-Hae's sake. I think there is more than a passing prejudicial undercurrent in Sae Hwa's character which does make her character that much more interesting to watch albeit making viewers feel morally uncomfortable. It certainly complicates the character. Hope to see more of this in Dong-Hae, Do-Jin and Bong Yi.

What the heck is wrong with Sool Nyeo? She was visiting her husbands grave and she couldn't help but fantasize about the cop, faking some kind of injury to gain some sympathy, etc.

These characters are serious screwed up even for a daily show.

I'll say. With Sool Nyeo, apparently while speaking to her deceased husband, she mentioned how lonely she was and asked him if he could "send someone along" to be with her. When she saw the cop again, she thought her deceased husband had answered her prayer. She's pretty crazy how she acted.

i haven't seen this drama. please can someone describe the feel of the drama? is it like Sons Of Sol Pharmacy/My Too Perfect Sons & Pure 19 or like Three Brothers & All About Marriage & Happiness In The Wind? those are the only dramas i've seen a few episodes of from a long series & i want to know if i would like this drama/should see it based on comparisons.

it is probably very unlikely that this will get subbed by a group since it is a daily drama & is 100+ episodes. but i think KBS World will sub it, like they did with the drama before this one.

I have not watched this either but I doubt it is in the same grain . . .

As for KBS World TV-Ripped Eng-Subs . . . . the first episode will air on KBSW (Asia) on 16 November 2010, and since DevilSlob records off from KBSAmerica, my guess is the torrents will only start to surface either end of Nov or early Dec.

Guest teukiie

In case any of you were wondering, you can watch Jooyeon cuts ONLY here at Diva Detention SUBBED ^^ You need to be a member though! Besides subbed cuts, we have raw cuts & photos + news~ See you there ^^

Guest crzyblue4

Sadly after 15 episodes the show's lagging somewhat with its story. Given what happened in episodes 14 and 15 I'm hopeful that things pick up significantly between the four main actors within in the next couple of episodes. I know it's a daily show and they tend to drag things out since they have so much time to really develop a story/character but with 3 weeks of programming behind them now I still feel as if they're stuck in 1st (or neutral) and it's becoming a bit frustrating to watch.

If you have the time I would suggest grabbing the first couple of episodes (regardless if you understand the language) and watching the show. You should get a basic understanding of the story and its characters.

I so agree. I wish there was more background to the characters. So far I feel as the lead actors haven't gotten into their roles yet, but you never know.

I totally agree with Dong Hae coach, he bring down the team. These man training all they lives for the opportunity to make the olympic and he can't seem to stay focus on what should be important, they say love is hard to find, I don't know if that true but I do know it extremely hard to make it into the Olympic. Dong Hae attiude toward his career is disappointing, he has been irresponsible and shown nothing but disrespect to his teammate and coach. Dong Hae need to get his s**T together first because he useless right now for himself and anyone else.

@semi-fly: I am quite frustrated honestly, i'm thinking whether to wait for more episodes to come and watch them all at one go. I thought this was a drama that had great potential from the first episode and it just went downhill..

But anyways, i feel that i like this better than "when the wind blows" where it really went super draggy after the wedding. Hopefully, i will see some more progression with the characters especially the love line between the two main cast, i find them a lot more endearing than the SaeWa,Donghae tiring love, i'm sick of that, now move on and make Saewa regret her decision.

Is anyone else simply frustrated with the lack of progression this series seems to be on?
Yes.

As of episode 20, Friday's episode, why does it look as if they're setting it up as if Kang Jae, according to Anna he's James, is the father of both Bong Yi and Dong-hae? Wouldn't the premise of the show Dong-hae being rejected and finding new love i.e., Bong Yi, now be a little taboo (even for some of the crazier Korean dramas)?
Sadly, I completely expected this earlier realizing that BOTH Kang Jae and Kim Joon had the same-ish initials (even if Kang Jae's full name is Lee Kang Jae). I held a glimmer of hope that they wouldn't go this route as KDrama often goes...clearly they did. Although, knowing they would try this "switch", why on earth did they hold the long shot of Anna clearly starring at Kim Joon after Kang Jae moved away from the frame? They could have TRIED to make it more ambiguous by having the actress stare at BOTH of the men...sigh...

As I've said there doesn't seem to be any progression even between the former lovers, Sae Wa has her eyes set on her "savior" while Dong-hae is blinded by what he once had to really let it go nor see anyone else for that matter. Right now I don't even seethe beginnings of a love line between the two leads, I mean Bong Yi's starting to show some concern but it seems primarily for Anna but that's to be expected she's spent a lot of time with her.
I thought it was about time "he finally ditched Sae Hwa and Korea" (his own words) in episode 20. I never felt sorry for him and felt bad for all the actors/actresses that had to play around this character. Conniving Sae Hwa is the only one that is interesting not for any other reason expect that I completely understand all of her very valid motivations, albeit selfish and self-serving. Bong-Yi is supposed to play the conscience and heart of the story but comes off preachy and annoying especially in lieu of Sae Hwa's justifications. No doubt, her connection with Dong-Hae's cooking skills is what is keeping the flame alive :wacko:

Even going into the series I was hoping for something to happen with Tae Hoon & Sae Young but frankly I wasn't expect a ronin storyline (for Tae Hoon) nor a shotgun wedding (for Sae Young). These two, for now, seem to be just a diversion from the main storyline though it isn't doing anything for me (that is doing anything to make me want to see more of them).

The storyline with Sool Nyeo & Pil Jae is just a nuance especially Sool Nyeo's head-over-heels infatuation with him. If I were Pil Jae I'd file a restraining order now instead of later when these two (mark my word) get married.

I agree on these points as well. If the powers that be actually visits and reads this thread in English, I suggest that one of the twins expire in the womb to provide some sort of ethical drama and substantial dilemma (as well as acting opportunity) for these two characters. While in reality this is a very tragic event and I would not wish it for anyone, this show needs something more than what is clearly being setup.

Since we're talking about "obvious" predictions, I'll offer my own scenarios (let's see how accurate I am):

1. Dong-Hae will "discover" that Kang Jae is his father only for Anna to deny this. Jang Jae and Bong Yi, feeling bad for these two misfits, take them in and Dong-Hae helps Kang Jae's kimchi enterprise making teh bestest kimchi ever!

2. Once Anna's real parents find out Anna is alive and kicking, Dong-Hae will become heir to the Camellia enterprise but will turn down the offer and instead work as the head chef as he is destined to be.

3. Also, once it is confirmed that Dong-Hae is the son of Kim Joon, he will be reconnect with his real father and help reconcile Kang Jae and Kim Joon together.

4. Kim Joon, realizing that his true love Anna is in Korea, attempts to ditch his wife but realizes that he truly loves her. He makes amends to Anna by offering Dong-Hae his own cooking show.

5. Finally, Anna, having encountered James and her real parents, suddenly snaps and remembers everything. She becomes normal and creates a mental health institute for Korean Adoptees.

Any other takers?

Guest crzyblue4

Is anyone else simply frustrated with the lack of progression this series seems to be on? I've watched the first 20 episodes I can't really see anything happening within the last week of episodes other than Sae Wa's continued downward spiral and Dong Hae's puppy dog devotion to her. I mean how many times can you beat him down without him realizing what he had/wants is not going to return nor does it appear to be what he thought it was?

As of episode 20, Friday's episode, why does it look as if they're setting it up as if Kang Jae, according to Anna he's James, is the father of both Bong Yi and Dong-hae? Wouldn't the premise of the show Dong-hae being rejected and finding new love i.e., Bong Yi, now be a little taboo (even for some of the crazier Korean dramas)?

I want to say I too am frustrated and wish that instead of starting the way they did, they should of started off more by showing each person's background and have the characters grow on us, since after all they have 100+eps so it should be of no problem to do that. The only plus side I can see to this is that this way they got straight to the plot (so far been dragging a little to long for my liking).

Now with the James thing I feel that it's not going to Bong Yi's father but the other guy. I think it would all just be a misunderstanding and it'll drag awhile(most likely to point even when Bong Yi and Dong Hae start to openly like each other) and then the misunderstanding will be fixed and then Dong Hae will have deep hatred towards the guy and his family(especially since Sae Wa dumped him for the son), and if this all happens, let's not forget that wife's jealousy issues! Yeah, and you can pretty much guess where I'm going with this.

I will accept your challenge aeka! But my views are pretty much the same.

Since we're talking about "obvious" predictions, I'll offer my own scenarios (let's see how accurate I am):

1. Dong-Hae will "discover" that Kang Jae is his father only for Anna to deny this. Jang Jae and Bong Yi, feeling bad for these two misfits, take them in and Dong-Hae helps Kang Jae's kimchi enterprise making teh bestest kimchi ever!

And Dong Hae and Dong Yi start developing their love!

2. Once Anna's real parents find out Anna is alive and kicking, Dong-Hae will become heir to the Camellia enterprise but will turn down the offer and instead work as the head chef as he is destined to be.

Dong Hae leaves Anna, or stays, with Anna's parents and lets them watch over her and reconnect with her and him. I feel that he may decline the offer, but since this a 100+ eps I'm going to go with he does accept and does the cooking as a hobby on side with his new family and love.

3. Also, once it is confirmed that Dong-Hae is the son of Kim Joon, he will be reconnect with his real father and help reconcile Kang Jae and Kim Joon together.

No, that's too positive. He will have a grudge for Kim Joon and his family. He will hate his real father and hate the son even worse because of Sae Wa, but will forgive in a sense where he'll forget them and probably not consider them family. Dong Hae will also get Kim Joon to apologize to Kang Jae for what he did and bring honor back to Kang Jae's name!

4. Kim Joon, realizing that his true love Anna is in Korea, attempts to ditch his wife but realizes that he truly loves her. He makes amends to Anna by offering Dong-Hae his own cooking show.

His amends to Anna would be to ask her for forgiveness and to forget about him since he now realizes how much he loves his wife. He might also step down from his work position and retire from it as a way to apologize also.

5. Finally, Anna, having encountered James and her real parents, suddenly snaps and remembers everything. She becomes normal and creates a mental health institute for Korean Adoptees.

Any other takers?

I hate that they always do this with any type of illness in dramas. You have some memory type of illness and next thing you know, bada bing bada boom you are cured and have no problems! If not you got cancer and it's almost impossible to cure but what do you know, we got the cure!

So I'm going for the no. Anna does not get cured from her mental illness(it's pretty much impossible to cure an adult with a mental illness, but with kdramas you never know). Instead her parents and Dong Hae will create a foundation for people who suffer the same thing as Anna(whatever it is called) if not support a foundation already in the works.

Dong Hae leaves Anna, or stays, with Anna's parents and lets them watch over her and reconnect with her and him. I feel that he may decline the offer, but since this a 100+ eps I'm going to go with he does accept and does the cooking as a hobby on side with his new family and love.

I think this one will definitely come true. The writers made it a point to tell us that cooking is a big deal for both Dong-Hae and Bong-Yi, so no doubt there will be a happy end this way.

No, that's too positive. He will have a grudge for Kim Joon and his family. He will hate his real father and hate the son even worse because of Sae Wa, but will forgive in a sense where he'll forget them and probably not consider them family. Dong Hae will also get Kim Joon to apologize to Kang Jae for what he did and bring honor back to Kang Jae's name!

That's precisely why I think it will happen...again, KDrama convention likes to wrap things up in a tidy and pretty bow, mostly to espouse these types of positive familial values that Koreans hold to. I, again, half-expect the writers to come up with a "legitimate" reason for Kim Joon to have left Anna rather than let him come off as, in my opinion, a bit of a pervert for taking advantage of Anna especially with her condition. Quite frankly, Dong-Hae holding a perpetual grudge is the most sensible response...which is why I feel the writers won't stick to this. They lost sensibility a long time ago :) We'll see.

I hate that they always do this with any type of illness in dramas. You have some memory type of illness and next thing you know, bada bing bada boom you are cured and have no problems! If not you got cancer and it's almost impossible to cure but what do you know, we got the cure!

Yes, definitely an overused convention. So far, this show is not lacking of superfluous scenarios.

Guest crzyblue4

TI, again, half-expect the writers to come up with a "legitimate" reason for Kim Joon to have left Anna rather than let him come off as, in my opinion, a bit of a pervert for taking advantage of Anna especially with her condition. Quite frankly, Dong-Hae holding a perpetual grudge is the most sensible response...which is why I feel the writers won't stick to this. They lost sensibility a long time ago :) We'll see.

The weird thing is that Dong Hae and Do Jin look around the same age. The only "legitimate" reason that I can think of is that Kim Joon met Anna first and fell for her because of her innocence and had Dong Hae, and then went back to Korea. There he met Hye Sook and did a Sae Wa, dumped love for money.

Another theory of mine is that Kim Joon needed something from Hye Sook and married her, but she already had Do Jin. So Do Jin is not Kim Joon's son, hence the cold atmosphere at home.

Though for these theories to be true, Hye Sook have to have something important. I know it can't be money, because from what I remember Hye Sook never had that position and had to work her way to the top, but then I may be wrong since I can't understand Korean and get what I know from others and what I infer from watching.

Or maybe Kim Joon lived in America since he was little and played with Anna, so her condition did not bother him. Then something happened to him or his family so he had to move back to Korea. ... Still can't figure out why his current family right now.

KBS World will start broadcasting the series (with Subtitles) on 16 Nov. which means that we won't be seeing subbed episodes until late November or early December depending on if/when the person(s) capping the show offer/release batched torrent files.

Okay thanks for the info. I got some links to download from KBS World TV rips. I guess I'll just wait for the date then.

Thanks!

Archived