[drama 2003] The Rustic Period 야인시대

Guest imbestigador

Guest imbestigador

[sBS] Daeha Drama / Ahn Jae Mo
Rustic Period (2002-2003, SBS Daeha Drama)

Historical TV dramas (known as "Daeha Dramas" in Korea) featuring a large number of episodes have long been a successful genre within Korean TV Dramas. After the end of SBS's Ladies in the Palace (Yeoin Cheonha), the time slot was filled by another historical drama Rustic Period (Yain Shidae), which ended up as the most successful TV drama in Korea last year, with at its height over half of the TV ratings in prime time.

Rustic Period is a 100-episode drama based on the life of a mystery -- Kim Doo-han (1917-1972). The whole drama was split into two parts. Part 1 (Episode 1-50), performed by Ahn Jae-mo as Kim, is based on how Kim came to be a triad leader around the Jongno area during the days when the country was invaded by the Japanese. Part 2 (Episode 51-100), performed by Kim Young-chul, is based on the days when Kim served as a Council member. Stories about Kim Doo-han are not new. Previously, Im Kwok-taek's Son of A General film series were based on Kim Doo-han.

Compared to other dramas, Rustic Period features an unique heroic style which is rarely found in melodramas or historical dramas like Morning of the Emperor. Despite the large number of characters, this drama gives an adequate atmosphere in introducing the people around Kim Doo-han and how he made friendships with his gang crew, in a less typical way than a normal drama.

Action is also another successful factor which captured audiences' hearts. Part 1 of the drama contains lots of fighting along Kim's path to becoming a triad gang head, which is also unusual for Korean dramas in such a set up. The song "Ye-in", which is used from time to time for fighting, has also became one of Korea's most popular ringtones. The usual scene for fighting, the street outside "Yeomi-gwan" is also used for the poster of My Tutor Friend.

Ahn Jae-mo, who has previously acted in minor roles in films like My Wife is a Gangster and The Humanist gives a much sharper image in the film, as sharp as Kim is described in Lee Hwan-kyung's original drama. This drama also gave Ahn a chance to transfer into a career as a singer afer spending weeks on the top as Korea's most popular male actor.

Foreign viewers may find it difficult in catching up without some background information on Kim Doo-han. It would be useful to recall the Son of a General series or films like The Anarchists before watching this drama.

Rustic Period ("Yain Sidae") 100 episodes. Written by Lee Hwan-kyung. Produced by Jang Hyung-il. Starring (Part 1) Ahn Jae-mo, Choi Dong-joon, Lee Deok-hee, Jung Young-sook, Jeon Mi-seon, Ko Doo-shim; (Part 2) Kim Young-chul, Park Young-rok, Jang Se-jin, Lee Hyuk-jae and Yoon Yong-hyun. Aired on SBS in Korea from (Part 1) July 29, 2002 - January 14, 2003; (Part 2) January 20 - July 8, 2003.

Official Site:http://tv.sbs.co.kr/period [Archived]

Hi Let's Talk about this Drama I Think this is Great!

I haven't gotten the chance to catch this drama but well, here's the storyline of this drama by SBS Productions (in English).

credit to http://www.koreanwiz.org/at/drama-rustic.html

wild%20days.jpg

[ The Wild Days (2002-2003) ]

124 episodes / 60min

Producer :

Cast : Ahn Jae-Mo

Story Line )

This historical drama focuses on the life of Kim Doo-han (Ahn Jae-Mo), who survived the times of trials and tribulations. It takes you inside the world of strong-willed men who had to live the dark days of our history. These tough guys will touch us all with their humanism.

“The Wild Days” is divided into two parts, one during the colonial period of time, when the nation was occupied by Japan from 1920 to 1945, and the other after the nation’s liberalization from Japan.

In the modern history of Korea, Kim Doo-han is depicted as the best-known gangster. Some people call him a man of chivalry, while others call him a scamp. For all that, he was, no doubt, the man of misfortune and innocent victim in the historical development of Korea. Aside from his legendary success as the gangster, the main story plot of “The Wild Days” may be focused on his humane characters behind the success.

Through his life, he always stood against contradiction deeply rooted in every corner of the society. As the son of Kim Jwa-jin, the Supreme Commander of an army for national independence, he underwent painful life experiences during Japanese occupation of Korea when confrontations between the rightists and leftists as well as political conflicts between the autocratic government and protestors for national democracy were severe. Against this backdrop, his genuine character is graphically portrayed in various ways in this drama. Also, it depicts the reality at that period of time from the fresh point of view.

Frm http://www.sbspro.co.kr/eng/sub_list_view....field=&key=

Guest limroom9

this was a great drama, but i think i stopped watching after about 50 or so. i thought it got a bit boring once the first part ended and ppl started fighting with guns and stuff.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest lilkpgirl

omg wen i wuz watching the first few episode it wuz so freaking boring so i stop watching it.But then later on my family were watching it too and i started to get relli interesting and i started liking it haha

• 7 months later...
  • 5 months later...

It was a hit drama back in 2002-2003...the character that Ahn Jae-mo played, Kim Doo-han was portrayed also by Park Sang-min in the film General's Son..anyway Kim Doo-han is incidentally the grandfather of Song Il-kook. He is an Independence or Freedom Fighter as far as I know...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

Archived