is it a common thing wearing braces in korea?

illay

is it a common thing wearing braces in korea? Will they look at you strangely if you wear it?

Thanks for the answer..i'm curious to know it since my friend told me that when she studied in china and wearing braces, people there laughed on her ....

Guest peppermintsugar

Kids here make fun of other kids wearing braces. Key word: Kids.

No matter who makes fun of you for it, it's a couple of years for a lifetime difference that looks amazing. I definitely don't think you should even put any thought into what they think.

Guest arpeggio

i'd rather be laughed at for a couple of years and then have beautiful teeth for the rest of my life. anyway i'm not sure if a lot of people in korea wear braces but with plastic surgery being such a hot topic, i wonder if they do it the traditional way or the instant way?

Lots of people in Asia go for the quick fix: veneers. It's what many movie stars do. I don't think braces are very popular...but fake ones are. I saw that in the news once, I think it was Singapore or Malaysia? But girls wore braces for fashion. I saw an uhljjang with braces once, it that helps? But people in Asia really don't focus on dental health very much...

Guest ~KIRA~

I live in Korea and to be honest, I haven't opened people's mouths to see if they've got braces, nor have I interviewed everyone on the street about what they think of it.

Are you visiting here soon? Just don't worry about it, you'll find out soon what it's like. I used to have braces and no paid much attention to them.

Guest JaeJoongLuv520

my cousin lives in china and she's got braces...

but honestly, she's the only one I've seen so far with them...

@arpeggio: like what vandalize said..the celebrities do the instant way:veneer, but don't know about the common people since i even don't know most of them have straight teeth or not.

@~Kira~: actually, i have a desire to try apply for scholarship learning korean language at korea (it just several months though), but i just wear braces and still have a long time to have it detached. Thank you for your answer ^^

Guest Eun_neptune_Him

You'll be scared to show your smile. But after it's all over you'll be getting complements all the time about your smile! :)

Guest x kisekiboshi

I'm not sure about Korea, but I think in Hong Kong it's kind of a big deal if you have braces because then it means you have money. I saw this girl in Hong Kong who wore braces and literally had a posse follow her from behind.

Guest HeartOnHerSleeve

I really don't think it's weird to have braces in Korea. For one thing, I've had braces while I lived in Korea and no one said anything (or looked at me funny). Second, the dentists in Seoul are second to best. It would be weird to laugh at someone with braces in Korea when Korea is known to have some of the best orthodontists. I'm not being all nationalist or arrogant or anything, but that's just generally what people have said. I also don't think crooked, uncared for teeth are considered cute in Korea like they are in Japan and other places.

-edit-

And another thing, people compliment my teeth left and right now because they are so straight and even. Even if braces were considered weird/dorky, I've got a nice set of pearls now. If you want straight, dentist-approved teeth, don't even care about what people will think in the present =))))

Guest Marshmallagatha

Its really expensive to get braces in Asia isn't it? In my opinion, japanese people in mags dont always have perfect teeth haha, as for koreans, they just stun you with the whiteness XD

i'm not sure about any of asia actually if braces is a common thing there...never been to any asian countries hahah

i used to know this chinese girl that was kinda fob that laughed that i used to have braces before i met her. i think she laughed that i used to wear glasses before my contacts too. said something like it was so nerdy....hahah

but in america, braces seem to be the most common thing amongst all kids

Guest understanding_fiction

I have a lot of friends in univ who just started on their braces after graduating high school. So no, it's not a weird thing.

Guest Sarangxcandy

don't worry i see tons of ppl with braces. a lot of them older girls in their 20's 30's and some in their 40's its fairly new in korea, as in ppl just now started getting them so a lot of older ppl have it.

Guest understanding_fiction

^ I'm not completely sure, but for the average braces(as in the visible kind), maybe 3,000,000~5,000,000won?(300~500만원).

Guest aggybum

OK I've lived in Korea for 3 years now, and I've met a ton of people (because I really do love networking), and I habitually check people out XD (no homo) and I haven't seen that many people with braces. Like over the past 3 years, I've probably seen.... 2 people with braces. No joke!

Guest irkou

The starting price is 300manwon... which is equivalent to US $3,000 for 2 and a half years.. I was getting braces in America but didn't and came here to get braces so I;m pretty sure of the prices. There are 3 kinds too.

One is the standard which is the cheapest. The other is a more transparent set which is a bit more expensive and another option is to have the braces applied behind your teeth, so people won't even know you have braces. I personally haven't seen many people with braces in my 2 years in Korea... maybe like 3 people so far... but maybe many have the braces that are applied behind.

I also have to say that braces in Korea look a bit weirder than in America... they seem to stick out more than in America.. but seriously.. you shouldn't worry about it.

Archived