Quantcast

It seems like this is the big thing that the media articles are focusing on: JW's attempt to grow taller in middle school.

To be honest, I'm buying his adult interpretation of events (i.e. that he started to eat baby formula at the same time that he started his growth spurt anyway) more than any claim that baby formula triggers a growth spurt :P And I do think that the difference between him and his parents' heights probably has more to do with South Korea's economic boom and better nutrition for kids overall than any activity that's touted to make people taller (eating formula, swimming, etc.)

Behind-the-scenes pics from his agency

lol - I think this one's my favourite from the set :D I don't know why, but I like seeing pictures from the hair and makeup process a lot. Plus, something in his expression here reminds me of that hair-drying scene in Alice.

179ea632af5cde7d33c3842d090ea6e7.jpg

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think he did say "Canadian":lol:. Actually, it is Kim Youngchul's signature dialogue, he always says this sentence "I am a comedian not Canadian" if he has to do a joke in English. I think they choose the word "Canadian" because it rhymes with "Comedian", not that they disrespect the people from the Canada or its citizens

Don't worry - I didn't think it was a dig at Canadians. I was actually happy to see Canada being mentioned at all, since it's never something I expect and (mostly) happens in a positive context :glasses:

In the next episode of KBs, we get to see Choi Kang-hee and Kim Young-kwang with whom joo won worked previously. Apparently these two are doing Hello Me! KBS drama together. So, I guess JTBC has no problem promoting other channel dramas in their variety shows.

Yeah, I noticed that they were the guests for the next episode. Although I know that Knowing Bros probably wouldn't invite guests from multiple productions (since the activities are designed to promote one show/film/stage production at a time), it did make me wonder if JW still kept in touch with either of them.

So, overall the episode was decent and we can get to see funny side of Joo won and he  seem to be opening up a lot when doing variety shows, earlier, which is in his 20's he use stay quiet in variety shows and always use to respond with one liners to the questions which were thrown at him, now he seem to have improved a lot. Which is really big change since it is hard for introverts(I think Joo won is one) to open up or do stuff spontaneously.

If we look at his growth overall, I think that he was dropped headfirst in the deep end (yes, combining two idioms is intended) with 1N2D. In that show, he's expected to be engaged and funny and clever and naughty (all traits expected of the maknae) and do that over and over again - it was all really just a bit overwhelming for him and his personality. As you pointed out, he is a self-proclaimed introvert and he seems to have grown up in a family that wasn't necessarily strict but was definitely traditional in its ideas on what the maknae should be like. So JW's own interpretation of what he should be like as the show's maknae contradicted with the audience's interpretation; and while he did stick to his guns for the most part, there are definitely moments on 1N2D when you can sense how much that feeling that he wasn't accepted for who he was by viewers really stressed him out.

Since then, though, I think JW has been gradually honing his variety show skills by taking on several major talk shows (Win WinTaxiHealing CampRadio Star, etc.) over the years. In these cases, even if the MCs thought he was boring or not funny (Kim Gu Ra on Taxi, the third host on Win Win, etc.), he's able to sense that the audience enjoyed his stories, once he was allowed to just tell them verbally. This has helped him gain confidence in the knowledge that audiences just like him as himself rather than any sort of affected image such that now, I think he's finally able to spend less energy constantly evaluating everything he says and does, and just relax and let loose :glasses:

• Like 2
  • Replies 57.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Kim Hee Sun won Top Excellent Actress award in Miniseries(category) for her performance in Alice drama.

Awesome! I did think she deserved to get something, but the competition among actresses was just too intense at the SBS Drama Awards. :P 

By the way, I think it's also cute that JW shared about his friendship with Kim Hee Sun on Knowing Bros - I wasn't expecting him to also bring up Seo Jang Hoon, though :lol:

And now, for yet another tiny preview (not a full scene, just a snippet) from my upcoming Alice fic. Why? Just because I feel like it :D 

Spoiler

As Jin Gyeom keeps painting the wall, I turn my attention to the sun, squinting and shielding my eyes with one hand once I’ve spotted it. It’s sitting low in the sky, almost at the point when we get to what writers call the “golden hour”: the time just an hour before sunset when the sky turns golden with the sun’s final rays. I don’t know when his mother usually comes back, but I do know that if Jin Gyeom means to finish this today, he won’t be able to manage with the time he has left. Not by himself, anyway.

Wait. What if…?

Quickly, I turn and scramble down the stairs, prompting even the ever-unfazed Jin Gyeom to stop what he’s doing. “Ya – where are you going?”

“Just give me a minute!” I shout back, already breaking into a sprint down the street. “I’ll be right back!”

Even going as fast as I dare, it takes me a while to get from Jin Gyeom’s poorer side of the neighbourhood, with its steep slopes and narrow alleys, down to the apartment complex on the main street where I live. I put out one last burst of speed running up the stairs to our unit, punching in the passcode and bursting through the door with a bang.

“Do Yeon-ah!” Eomma bustles out of the kitchen, eyes widening at the sight of me almost bent double trying to catch my breath. “You’re going to be – what took you so long?”

“Mi-mianhae, Eomma,” I gasp, blurting out the first excuse I can think of as I rush to my room. “I – I had to ask – ask my teacher something.”

I lock the door behind me, leaving Eomma to continue her scolding from outside as I hurriedly shove my oldest pair of jeans and a hoodie into my backpack. Most of it is her usual nagging about my tendency to dawdle with my friends after school – “If you’re going to take so long, you should just stay in the library!” – but she does also ask me about whether I apologized to Jin Gyeom.

“Ne, Eomma!” I call out, zipping my backpack closed with a flourish. “He says he’s fine, so it's all good!”

Despite her scolding, Eomma still asks me if I could eat something first before I head back out again. Normally, I might actually stick around, but the thought of Jin Gyeom struggling to paint the wall by himself makes me shake my head.

“Gwenchana, Eomma,” I answer. “I’ll grab something along the way.”

The sky has a distinct golden cast by the time I finally get back to Jin Gyeom’s place. He’s already finished one coat of paint on the left side column in the time, and is now starting on the right.

He looks surprised to see me – or at least I think he does, given that his expression still doesn’t change much – especially when I explain my plan to help him.

“Don’t you have to head back to school?”

I shoot him a look. “Don’t you?”

He shakes his head. “You know I seldom go to study hall.”

“Then you should know that skipping once isn’t the end of the world,” I retort. “Gwenchana,” I add when he just stares at me, “I’ll be fine as long as Eomma doesn’t find out.”

Because hey, if teenage Do Yeon's gonna be a rebel, we all know that it'll be for the sake of helping someone ;) 

• Like 2
2 hours ago, kittyna said:

Because hey, if teenage Do Yeon's gonna be a rebel, we all know that it'll be for the sake of helping someone

Is she helping him with the wall which was defamed by the hooligans?(Like they have written words like Psycho, killer etc)

Writers sort of forgot about the wall, they should have added a scene where Kim Do Yeon helped PJG repaint the wall, like you did, at least they should have added it in the flashback scenes.

Awesome! I did think she deserved to get something, but the competition among actresses was just too intense at the SBS Drama Awards.

I feel the same. She should have won that best actress for Miniseries, like, her role was really versatile. Like, she had played 3 roles with different age group. But still this APAN award sort of holds more prestige than SBS's. The former takes into account the acting of the artist where as the latter given more importance to the popularity of the artists irrespective of their acting in the drama.

I wasn't expecting him to also bring up Seo Jang Hoon, though

Same here, and I find it sweet that Seo Jang Hoon paid for Joo won and his parent's meal. Lol, it is only possible for KB's cast members to turn any story into joke(Like they were saying he should have bought the whole Chinese restaurant for Joo won instead of bill). And Park Joon-myeon's dream about Joo won giving his poop was funny as hell. At first I did not understand what she is saying, I thought like, did really Joo won did it? And then I got to know that it was in her dreams

And IVY'S Emergency Room incident was also funny as hell and I did not expect Joo won get it right, since in 2D1N we sucked at riddles and quizzes, I can see that he as improved a lot and became wise as he grew older

• Like 2
10 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Is she helping him with the wall which was defamed by the hooligans?(Like they have written words like Psycho, killer etc)

:approves: Among other things, but this is part of it :) 

Writers sort of forgot about the wall, they should have added a scene where Kim Do Yeon helped PJG repaint the wall, like you did, at least they should have added it in the flashback scenes.

This is actually the first fic idea I had for Alice, almost right after watching Episode 1. The way I saw it, there was no way that Do Yeon wouldn't have tried to help to fix the damage she'd inadvertently caused - even if she didn't volunteer on her own, someone (her parents, a teacher, one of the cops, etc.) would've told her to.

There are also a ton of other little details that I want to fit into this fic, so wish me luck!

But still this APAN award sort of holds more prestige than SBS's. The former takes into account the acting of the artist where as the latter given more importance to the popularity of the artists irrespective of their acting in the drama.

Not to mention that SBS (or other network awards) have to take the drama's popularity into consideration when giving out awards. I'm not sure whether Do You Like Brahms? fared better among audiences in comparison with Alice, but it's a factor that I'd need to consider when thinking about how the Top Excellence Award played out. Both Park Eun Bin and Kim Hee Sun are experienced actresses with long resumes - even though, just by coincidence, I haven't watched any of Park Eun Bin's dramas - so I don't think their respective popularity was a big factor here.

As for JW, it does look like the reason why he didn't win Top Excellence was simply because he was already slated for the Producer's Award - not because of anything to do with his popularity in comparison with other nominees.

Same here, and I find it sweet that Seo Jang Hoon paid for Joo won and his parent's meal. Lol, it is only possible for KB's cast members to turn any story into joke(Like they were saying he should have bought the whole Chinese restaurant for Joo won instead of bill).

I have to say, after seeing snippets of this (still haven't had time to watch the full episode) and Healing Camp, I really do think Seo Jang Hoon and JW just mesh together really well. Like, Jang Hoon just has this way of shifting the focus to JW's positive attributes, and the part when he guessed that JW gave Park Jun Myun a laminated leaf was adorable :blush:

And Park Joon-myeon's dream about Joo won giving his poop was funny as hell. At first I did not understand what she is saying, I thought like, did really Joo won did it? And then I got to know that it was in her dreams

Yeah, watching that scene on YouTube without any subs or prior context (i.e. without recognizing either the Korean words for "dream" or "gift") was like.... :surprisedwut: 

By the way, I also love JW's reactions during that story - because on the one hand, he's smiling because he understands the humour and good intent behind it (since, apparently, there's an association between poop and good luck in Korea that everyone knows about), but on the other hand, he looks just a bit weirded out like, "Wait - you had a dream about me doing what???" (It's most visible during Lee Su Geun's guess about fifty seconds into the clip.)

• Like 2
6 hours ago, kittyna said:

There are also a ton of other little details that I want to fit into this fic, so wish me luck!

Yup, there are lot gaps left by writers for you to explore, so good luck!:approves:

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

Seo Jang Hoon and JW just mesh together really well. Like, Jang Hoon just has this way of shifting the focus to JW's positive attributes, and the part when he guessed that JW gave Park Jun Myun a laminated leaf was adorable

Yeah, I thought that might be the answer since it matches with Joo won's personality and Seo Jang Hoon always gets the right answers, most of the times

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

Yeah, watching that scene on YouTube without any subs or prior context (i.e. without recognizing either the Korean words for "dream" or "gift") was like

I was confused as well despite subs, so it is safe to say that her question was toughest to guess out all.

• Like 2

Yeah, I thought that might be the answer since it matches with Joo won's personality and Seo Jang Hoon always gets the right answers, most of the times

I'm not familiar with Knowing Bros or the dynamic between the hosts in general (can you tell I seldom watch variety shows unless JW guests on them? :P), but I did think the laminated leaf was in line with JW's personality. Or, if nothing else, the impression of him that Seo Jang Hoon would have gotten from Healing Camp.

Speaking of which, I finally did get around to watching the whole show! :partyblob: It was a lot of fun, but I also have some general observations (which I'll keep JW-related for the purposes of this forum):

1. I think that this show has the best format for JW's personality so far. In particular, I find that the first "period", with its focus on having the guests share anecdotes about themselves in response to a series of prompts (e.g. "Friendships", "Strengths", etc.) made Knowing Bros feel less like a game show and more like a talk show - and I already knew that JW was comfortable on those. Also, the fact that all six of the bros are seasoned comedians who already know and riff off of each other really well means that, in the beginning - when he might still be a bit shy - JW can just throw out a small tidbit (e.g. the story about running into Seo Jang Hoon at a Chinese restaurant) and everyone else will be able to build it up into an entire gag. By the time we get to the more overtly comical second half, JW's already warmed up and become familiar with the whole group - and again, the onus isn't on him to maintain the comedy to begin with.

2. I do have to say, though, that the way JW riffed with Kang Ho Dong in his intro was spot-on. Okay, I'm sure that the general premise (i.e. that the Ghost cast members were visiting from the performing arts high school next door) as well as their actual entrance was scripted. But Kang Ho Dong is such a seasoned comedian that I do believe his response about seeing the arts students acting weird in the schoolyard was improvised - and JW just picked up on it immediately and went, "Oh, that? Yeah, we were rehearsing for Ghost." He also riffed off Hee Chul really well, too :) 

3. I really should give Lee Su Geun's friendship with JW more credit. I'd pointed out before on this forum that Lee Su Geun's MCing/hosting style wasn't really my thing personally (he reminded me of how variety shows/reality shows were hosted in Hong Kong, and those have always come across to me as way too extra :P). So, when I watched 1N2D, I tended to focus more on JW's relationships with the other hyungs (especially Sung Si Kyung). However, seeing Lee Su Geun falling back into all his old habits from working with JW on 1N2D was such a throwback for me - and it was adorable! :love: I loved how he would try to point out to the others whenever JW was about to do or say something interesting (like, I think he was the one who went, "Guys, Joo Won's dancing" off-screen when "Any Song" came on?), and how he vouched for and added to JW's stories in the first half. However, my favourite has to be when we could hear him say, "Joo Won-ie, enjoy the food!" during the ramyeon scene. Like, how long has it been since I've heard anyone call him "Joo Won-ie"??? That was such a mainstay from 1N2D and I...I just can't....:fullofhearts:

4. JW may not be book smart, but he's clever. Most fans know of his abysmal record doing trivia quizzes from 1N2D ("Joo Rodin", anybody?), and the same more or less holds true here. However, the "Amor Fati" question also shows just how intelligent he actually is - he recognized that "amor" was "love", and actually took a really reasonable educated guess on "fati" (which he thought was "party", because "f" and "p" sound similar in Korean). Same with IVY's emergency room question: once he realized that the humour was in the irony behind what she'd eaten to have an allergic reaction, he was the first to figure out that it had to be a food item that was related to seafood but that didn't actually contain any seafood - hence the "conch shaped crackers".

5. JW did way better on the clay modeling game than I thought he would. Again, this comes back to the "highly intelligent, but not necessarily book smart" thing. He was consistently really quick to start his team on the right foot (pun intended).

6. Epic dancing skills, as always. I know that, realistically, he's not idol level - nor would I expect him to be. But his strength as a dancer (besides his generally strong technique and sense of rhythm) is that he just goes for it, regardless of whether it looks stupid. I can see that several of the bros tend to hold back more, but that doesn't necessarily mean they can't dance: they might just be shy about it.

7. If I recall correctly, the "Puppy" nickname was given to him by Choi Kang Hee. Just dropping this in because I guess it means they are still friends :) 

8. JW's anecdote about going to the doctor after starring in both Good Doctor and Yong Pal was awesome. lol - While it's true that he learned enough from Good Doctor to be able to act out the first-aid and surgical procedures himself in Yong Pal (as opposed to using a hand double), that doesn't mean he understood what it all meant :P Still, the mental image of his doctor going, "So, Joo Won-ssi, as you probably already know..." and him going, "Sorry, what???" is awesome. 

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1
43 minutes ago, kittyna said:

7. If I recall correctly, the "Puppy" nickname was given to him by Choi Kang Hee. Just dropping this in because I guess it means they are still friends :) 

Wow! Great observation, I totally forgot about this "Puppy" nickname.

45 minutes ago, kittyna said:

3. I really should give Lee Su Geun's friendship with JW more credit. 

Yup, same here. I though Lee Su Geun will be silent or more reserved just like he was with other 2D1N members when they came to the show. But, it seems like he does cherish his bong with Joo won and did everything in his capacity to give give him more screen time just he did back in 2D1N ,and that Bridal Mask and Bride fled analogy was too good:joy:. You forgot to mention the entrance scene where joo won slammed the door so hard that IVY got scared.

50 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Like, how long has it been since I've heard anyone call him "Joo Won-ie"??

Yeah, only 2D1N friends call him like that. Most of the time I hear people calling him Joo Won-shhi.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

5. JW did way better on the clay modeling game than I thought he would. 

I was surprised with his skill in clay molding, perhaps he took some classes in pottery, since lot of celebrities and artist pick up such kind of skills to improve their acting skills. Also, I did not expect him to win the grand prize, since his track record in 2D1N is not good at winning quizzes.

• Like 2

Also, I did not expect him to win the grand prize, since his track record in 2D1N is not good at winning quizzes.

Well, most of the points he won were from decidedly non-quiz items (the ET dance) or things that, given his strong interest in music, I'd expect him to be good at (remembering song lyrics). 

What's really funny is all the times he ends up chatting with Park Jun Myun in the background: "I didn't know that", "I just guessed", etc. :lol:

Oh, and another funny moment from that segment that I forgot to mention:

9. JW's pouty face when the children's song cut off so abruptly while he was dancing. His face was like, "Aw, but I was just getting into it!" and I'm like, "Dude - you're 33!!!" :loolz: Maybe the song had sentimental value for him or something :D

Yeah, only 2D1N friends call him like that. Most of the time I hear people calling him Joo Won-shhi.

That's because "ssi" is the neutral/formal suffix to add to someone's name, so it's the one that's bound to appear in the widest range of contexts. 

In more casual speech between friends or family, the most common suffix is "ah" or "yah" (e.g. "Joo Won-ah"). It's only used for people who are either close in age as you or younger than you, though - older friends are addressed by "Hyung", "Noona", "Oppa", or "Eonnie". 

"ie", though, is not just informal, but also, like, super affectionate or cutesy. I've only heard it being used in a handful of dramas, and its use seems to have as much to do with the personalities of the people in the relationship as it does the overall dynamic. In essence, it's interchangeable with "ah"/"yah", so if you use "ie", you're trying to make a point that you think the person you're addressing is just so darn cute you want to squeeze them.

(Which, to be fair, is how JW's hyungs on 1N2D thought of him most of the time.)

Wow! Great observation, I totally forgot about this "Puppy" nickname.

It was something about her calling him "Puppy" and him calling her "Kang-jjang" (the latter of which actually happens when she guests on 1N2D), but I could be wrong about whether she started it or if she picked up a nickname someone else used already. I just know I first heard of the nickname in relation to Level 7 Civil Servant.

I was surprised with his skill in clay molding, perhaps he took some classes in pottery, since lot of celebrities and artist pick up such kind of skills to improve their acting skills.

I do think it's tied to his acting, though - I remember that he was really good at charades on 1N2D as well. So I think it's a combination of being generally dextrous with his hands, and having a good sense of how to visually represent a saying or idea.

Yup, same here. I though Lee Su Geun will be silent or more reserved just like he was with other 2D1N members when they came to the show. But, it seems like he does cherish his bong with Joo won and did everything in his capacity to give give him more screen time just he did back in 2D1N

I think he still remembers that that's what JW needed to open up more on 1N2D, so he just naturally slipped back into that habit.

Changing the subject for a bit: JW's shoes from the SBS Drama Awards - Jimmy Choos??? Dang....

• Blob 2

9. JW's pouty face when the children's song cut off so abruptly while he was dancing. His face was like, "Aw, but I was just getting into it!" and I'm like, "Dude - you're 33!!!" 

After you mentioned it I re-watched it and indeed he did made the pouted face when the music stopped without warning. And also, is it me or did the editor tried to give more shots of joo won. Like, there were more shots of Joo won's reaction than the other 2 guests, or it can be that I only noticed Joo won's reaction more than other two guests.

That's because "ssi" is the neutral/formal suffix to add to someone's name, so it's the one that's bound to appear in the widest range of contexts. 

In more casual speech between friends or family, the most common suffix is "ah" or "yah" (e.g. "Joo Won-ah"). It's only used for people who are either close in age as you or younger than you, though - older friends are addressed by "Hyung", "Noona", "Oppa", or "Eonnie". 

Oh! I use to think "SSI" was used to address someone informally, since lot of actor who are younger than Joo won use to address him as "Joo Won-ssi" (like Bae-Suzy in 2012 KBS AWARDS and Kim Young-Jung in 2020 SBS AWARDS and UEE use to address him as Joo won-ssi as well. I seldom heard young actress calling him OPPA, is it because he is strict ? )

In more casual speech between friends or family, the most common suffix is "ah" or "yah" (e.g. "Joo Won-ah")

I heard lot senior actress calling Joo won as Joo Won-ah (Choi Gang-Hee  use to call him like that)

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And also, is it me or did the editor tried to give more shots of joo won. Like, there were more shots of Joo won's reaction than the other 2 guests, or it can be that I only noticed Joo won's reaction more than other two guests.

I noticed that, too, and it's generally a thing whenever JW is on a variety show with others (i.e. even 1N2D did this a lot). What it is is that JW doesn't say much, but he is actually a very expressive person when it comes to body language or non-verbal communication. So, say, on 1N2D, when someone makes a silly mistake during a game, the others might be shouting or teasing the member who messed up, but JW might just be laughing - and the camera would need to focus on him for viewers to see that he reacted at all. ;) Or, in the first half of the season, Sung Si Kyung might start bickering with Bird PD (which happened, like, a lot), and the hyungs might join in with their comments, but JW might just be shown nodding along (if he agrees) or making his confused pouty face (if he disagrees).

Now that I think about it, Lee Su Geun was one of the first to pick up on this on 1N2D, so he started proactively asking JW for his opinion if he's been quiet for a while - and with his cute facial expressions, usually a nod or shake of the head from JW was enough. lol - And then (if it was on a point of contention with Bird PD), the hyungs would all launch into this spiel of "See? Even Joo Won-ie thinks this - so now you've gotta listen to us!" :lol:

However, in terms of any variety show appearances for Ghost, I think the focus on JW may just be due to his star power in comparison with his castmates. ;) 

5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Oh! I use to think "SSI" was used to address someone informally, since lot of actor who are younger than Joo won use to address him as "Joo Won-ssi" (like Bae-Suzy in 2012 KBS AWARDS and Kim Young-Jung in 2020 SBS AWARDS and UEE use to address him as Joo won-ssi as well. I seldom heard young actress calling him OPPA, is it because he is strict ? )

Well, "ssi" is not the most formal, because it implies that you're at least on a first name basis ;) The most formal would be using some sort of title without a name (e.g. "Sunbaenim") instead.

But generally speaking, the situation matters just as much as the relationship. So in really public settings like interviews, awards shows, etc., everyone sort of defaults to using "ssi", even if they'd use something else in private. If you're looking for terms of address that reflect actual relationships, it's better to look to behind-the-scenes footage, or footage of the main cast in a variety show (as opposed to any guests).

Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but my guess is that in Korea, it's less common for actresses to address their guy friends as "Oppa", because that's also how girls usually address their boyfriends.

But one thing I do know: JW is far quicker to use informal terms of address than most. He consistently refers to people he's worked with by "Hyung" and "Noona" if they're older. He did use "Sunbae" more often earlier in his career, but as he's gotten to know more people in the industry, it looks like he mostly reserves those for people way older than him now.

6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I heard lot senior actress calling Joo won as Joo Won-ah (Choi Gang-Hee  use to call him like that)

Yeah, I've noticed that, too.

One quick note about "ie" that I forgot to include earlier. As a direct term of address (i.e. you use it for the person you're speaking to), it's relatively uncommon. However, it does show up a ton as the way you mention someone to a third party (which make up the vast majority of the "Joo Won-ie"s you hear on Knowing Bros). 

• Like 2
22 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Also, I'm not sure if this is true, but my guess is that in Korea, it's less common for actresses to address their guy friends as "Oppa", because that's also how girls usually address their boyfriends.

Well, I also heard that "Oppa" is also used to address older brother by younger girls, if they are siblings. And in some variety shows I heard that Younger female artists addressing older artist as "Oppa"(And yeah, women also use this word to address their boyfriends as well). So, I think female artist use this word to address the older male artists if they are close or know them personally. So, just like "Noona", "Oppa" also as multiple meaning depending on the relationship 

• Like 2
15 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, I also heard that "Oppa" is also used to address older brother by younger girls, if they are siblings. And in some variety shows I heard that Younger female artists addressing older artist as "Oppa"(And yeah, women also use this word to address their boyfriends as well). So, I think female artist use this word to address the older male artists if they are close or know them personally. So, just like "Noona", "Oppa" also as multiple meaning depending on the relationship 

Yes, it does have multiple meanings - but out of all the terms of address, I do feel like "Oppa" is the one most likely to inadvertently cause misunderstandings or confusion. So it really depends on the specific people involved, their relationship dynamic, and what they're comfortable with saying given the context they're in.

Okay, so it turns out that I'm really enjoying releasing these little previews/snippets of my upcoming Alice fic, so here's another one. The theme: Do Yeon's attempt at breaking the ice goes just about as well as you think it will :P 

Spoiler

Thinking it would help to pass the time, as well as giving us a chance to know each other, I try to chat with him as we work.

“So, I’ve heard that you’re top in your class.”

“I guess.”

“Is that why you don’t go to study hall? Because you’re already good for the exams?”

“Ani.”

“Then why?”

“I concentrate better at home. It’s quieter.”

“I see….So, have you thought about university yet? Where do you wanna apply to?”

“I don’t know.”

“Jinjja? You have no idea at all?”

“Mm.”

This is when he should ask me the same question back – at which point I will say something about Eomma wanting me to go to a SKY university and my not really caring so long as I can get into communication studies or journalism somewhere – but he simply lapses back into silence. It stretches on for so long that I eventually stop painting and round on him.

“Ya, Park Jin Gyeom! Is this how you always hang out with people? When someone asks you something, you’re supposed to give them a chance to share by asking them back. You do know that, right?”

“Ara,” he answers, not even stopping from his painting to look at me. “But why should I?”

I bite back an exasperated curse. “Ya, Park Jin–”

“As you said, people share about themselves in the hope that the person they’re speaking to will agree, which both creates an emotional connection and allows the first person to believe the other person cares what they think. But, like I said before, I don’t care what people think about me.”

I toss my head, placing one hand on my hip. “Are you just saying that because you’re trying to look cool, or because you really actually don’t care?”

“Caring what people think is only possible when you have feelings that can be hurt – and I don’t.”

My jaw drops. Did...did he just say....

“Wait, what?”

“Alexithymia,” he says bluntly. “A neurological impairment that limits my ability to feel, recognize, or express emotions.”

“But…but everyone feels emotions, don’t they?” I ask. “That’s what makes us human!” I let out a gasp as a sudden terrifying thought comes to me. “Did…did you have an accident or something?” I gesture towards my head with my left hand. “You know, something that could have hurt your head?”

“Ani,” he answers. “Eomma tells me I was born with it.”

He points out the paint that’s already dripped off my roller onto the ground, prompting me to talk and work at the same time. A quick glance over to his side shows that he’s very nearly done, but as I start back up again on my side, I can’t seem to focus on the wall in front of me.

This is weird. This is all so incredibly freaking weird. Everything I had thought was strange or off about him now comes to mind: his empty stares from the back of the classroom, his aloof silences, his choice to spend breaks studying rather than hanging out with friends…even what he says now about not caring what people think.

Park Jin Gyeom’s not a psychopath; he’s disabled. Or, at least that’s what it sounds like. It’s proof that he’s not a bad person like everyone says he is, but….

“That sucks.”

Yep, trying to maintain a conversation with teenage Park Jin Gyeom is just.... :headbang:

Finally, a spur of the moment mid-week interactive. Long story short, I may have posed a Sorting Hat Challenge to you guys before, but I actually grew up as a fan of a different fantasy franchise: Lord of the Rings. It was all a long time ago, but I recently stumbled across this video that presented 12 different characters from the film adaptations as representatives of distinct personality types (in Spoilers for not being directly JW-related):

Spoiler

So, here's my question to you guys: which character from JW's dramas do you think best fits each of these 12 character types?

Note: You can use any characters (main, supporting, etc.) for this - in fact, my guess is that you'll have to ;) Also, considering the massive gender imbalance in LOTR's cast of characters (mostly because the original books are high fantasy literature from the 1940s/1950s), just ignore gender for this. You can pick a JW drama girl to match with a male LOTR character, or vice-versa.

Once again, no right or wrong answers - so feel free to go nuts :gangnamstyle:

• Blob 2
44 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Yep, trying to maintain a conversation with teenage Park Jin Gyeom is just.... 

It is like the conversation he had with Detective Go in the restaurant  but this conversation is much longer and more fun to read

46 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I do feel like "Oppa" is the one most likely to inadvertently cause misunderstandings or confusion

In the beginning I was also confused as well, like, the girlfriends in the Kdrama use to address their boyfriends as "Oppa" and they use to address their elder brothers as "Oppa" as well. But later I got to know that it had multiple meaning and like you said it depends on the relationship. It did came as a shock to me that they were few words which were exclusive for men and women to address other men and women according to their age and gender.

• Like 2
5 hours ago, kittyna said:

So, here's my question to you guys: which character from JW's dramas do you think best fits each of these 12 character types?

:Pandabulous:

Although I have never the Lord of Rings' books(I am more more into non-fictional books), I really did enjoyed the movie trilogy. I still remember the first time I have when I had seen the first part of the trilogy back when I was in college, it just blew my mind with its visual and story. Even though this challenge is tough I will enjoy it for sure

Gandalf: Director Choi from good doctor. Just like Gandalf he helps people around him with their problems and always look after the weak and just Gandalf he does loose his temper once in a while with the people he love(Director Choi lost it with Kim Do Han many times). Also, he forgave one his subordinate who tried to take him down. So, with the above qualities I would like to Choose Director Choi for Gandalf

Galadriel: The caretaker from Yong Pal who gave her part of liver to Han Yeo Jin. These two might be different when it comes to status or magical powers, but I am going with the personalities. For instance, the caretaker seem cold and indifferent towards everyone in the house including Kim Tae Hyun but she did cared about the people she liked and opened up when the time was right. Also, just like the Galadriel played important role in LOTR, the caretaker also played important role saving Han Yeo Jin

Aragon: For him I would like to go with Park Si-On, I know when it comes to communication and initiations these two are pole apart. But, just like Aragon Park Si-On is compassionate, brave and doesn't hesitate to take the problem head on. Also, like Aragon, Park Si-On does have some sort of unique skills which distinguish him from others. So, apart from communication and is short of few qualities as a leader, but completely firs the description according to my interpretation

Arwen: Cha Yoon Seo, I find lot of similarities between her Arwen. For instances, both think with their heart and both are really persistent when they make up their mind. Also, both like to hold to their faith and trust on loved ones when every one seem to say otherwise. The only thing is missing is the romantic part from Arwen, which is not displayed in Cha Yoon Seo

Eowyn : I would like to go with Princess Hyemyung. Just like Eowyn, princess detests the restriction placed on her and often worries that she might end as a caged parrot. And also, she doesn't hesitate to plunge to action if her loved ones are in trouble. So, apart from sword skills of Eowyn, Princess Hyemyung has all the qualities of this LOTR character

Legolas: Kim Do Han, just like Legolas, Do Han got everything, looks, skills and is next to royalty when considered in his field. And just like Legolas, he does defend the ones who he holds dear and always acts cold just to cover his emotions.

Boromir: Lee Ho-Joon . Just like how the power for the ring blinded the Boromir, Lee Ho-Joon  was also blinded by the power of 12th floor. But in the end both the characters redeem themselves by helping the main leads

Sam: Yoo II-Rak: Yup just like how Sam is moral compass to Frodo, II-Rak is to Cha Yoo Jin. He is loyal, compassionate, simple minded guy who doesn't want glory and a guy who just like to live a peaceful life with the woman he is in love. So, I would like to choose Yoo II-Rak, since I was able to draw lot of parallel between these characters

Frodo: Park Jin Gyeom: If we examine carefully we can draw lot of parallels between these two characters. For instance, just like how important Frodo was in destroying the ring and subsequent death of Mordor. PGJ is also key to kill the Master who wants to keep the time travel alive and use it for his selfish purposes. So, apart from emotionless behavior, I was able to draw lot of parallels between these two, for instances, stubbornness, self sacrificing nature etc

Gimli: Ku Ma Jun: I know Ma Jun is suppose to be one of the bad guys and classic K-drama villain who stabs the protagonist in the back. But if we look closely, he does have few similarities with Gimli, for instance, he is reactionary, hot-headed, is prejudice, never trust someone who he is threatened by. But, also, he showed compassion towards Shin Yu Kyung and people he loved. So, despite his antagonist nature Ku Ma Jun does fit with this character from LOTR

Merry: Nurse Jo: Just like Merry, everyone sort of underestimates nurse Jo. But both of these characters rose to the occasion when they needed to and never shy away if they have to make sacrifices, Nurse Jo acted like second big brother to Park Si-On and always defended him

Pippin: Han Gil Ro: Yup just like Pippin Han Gil Ro is the life of the party, easily trusts everyone, naive, impulsive and does things without thinking. But both these characters step-up when they have to and can evolve in such a way that they don't need someone to constantly looked after but becomes capable enough to take care of people who are weaker than them.

And I am done :dead: Although the challenge was taxing and needed lot to do lot of examination and comparing to do, it did brought me back few memories of LOTR  when I first watched it. I think I am gonna have to re-watch the trilogy in this weekend. :blush:

• Awesome 2
6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

It is like the conversation he had with Detective Go in the restaurant  but this conversation is much longer and more fun to read

Yeah - It's tough to get a handle on how Jin Gyeom speaks at this age, but he does seem to be the fan of the "one word answer", unless there's something (e.g. his condition, justifying his actions, etc.) that needs further explanation. I guess that's not such a far cry from what many teenage boys are like, but he just takes it to a whole other level, because with a limited ability to feel emotion also comes a limited ability to have opinions.

Although I have never the Lord of Rings' books(I am more more into non-fictional books), I really did enjoyed the movie trilogy. I still remember the first time I have when I had seen the first part of the trilogy back when I was in college, it just blew my mind with its visual and story. Even though this challenge is tough I will enjoy it for sure

And I am done  Although the challenge was taxing and needed lot to do lot of examination and comparing to do, it did brought me back few memories of LOTR  when I first watched it. I think I am gonna have to re-watch the trilogy in this weekend. :blush:

:yay: Dang...this was really, really good! I haven't even started on mine (since I posted, then went to bed), but I really like your answers and the challenge for me now is seeing whether I can do something different ;) 

A few more detailed reactions:

Aragon: For him I would like to go with Park Si-On, I know when it comes to communication and initiations these two are pole apart. But, just like Aragon Park Si-On is compassionate, brave and doesn't hesitate to take the problem head on. Also, like Aragon, Park Si-On does have some sort of unique skills which distinguish him from others. So, apart from communication and is short of few qualities as a leader, but completely firs the description according to my interpretation

I would not have thought to go there, to be honest, but if I really step back and think about it, I do see how Park Si On sort of becomes the centre of his team (despite being maknae for most of the drama), as well as its moral compass (which Aragorn also was, to an extent).

The only thing is missing is the romantic part from Arwen, which is not displayed in Cha Yoon Seo

I think there is to an extent. Although Cha Yoon Seo is far too pragmatic to be considered a romantic, she does end up falling for someone that most people around her don't approve of - and, in both instances, it's because her love interest in somehow "imperfect" (Aragorn because he's human, and Park Si On because of his autism). I'll admit that Arwen's father had good intentions in opposing the relationship, though, whereas any opposition directed towards Yoon Seo and Si On would probably be more toxic in nature.

Sam: Yoo II-Rak: Yup just like how Sam is moral compass to Frodo, II-Rak is to Cha Yoo Jin. He is loyal, compassionate, simple minded guy who doesn't want glory and a guy who just like to live a peaceful life with the woman he is in love. So, I would like to choose Yoo II-Rak, since I was able to draw lot of parallel between these characters

This one is just all kinds of cute :fullofhearts: 

Frodo: Park Jin Gyeom: If we examine carefully we can draw lot of parallels between these two characters. For instance, just like how important Frodo was in destroying the ring and subsequent death of Mordor. PGJ is also key to kill the Master who wants to keep the time travel alive and use it for his selfish purposes. So, apart from emotionless behavior, I was able to draw lot of parallels between these two, for instances, stubbornness, self sacrificing nature etc

Yeah, I can see that. It works because the whole deal with the ring is that it corrupts its bearer by bringing out his/her dark side - and there is that same urgency in Alice once Evil Jin Gyeom comes into the picture (e.g. figure out how to beat the Teacher before Evil Jin Gyeom permanently takes over - like it did to the teenage version in Episode 13).

So, despite his antagonist nature Ku Ma Jun does fit with this character from LOTR

lol - I can't be the only one who noticed how the video conveniently skipped all the villainous characters in LOTR. :P Like, given that its original purpose is "Which one are you like?" I can see why, but at the same time, that does leave out some really fascinating and complex characters for which parallels do exist in JW's dramas (e.g. Saruman as the wizard who starts off good, but becomes corrupted by his thirst for power; Denethor as the father who has a really toxic relationship with his sons; etc.) And they left out Faramir (who's definitely good in the books, but is more morally grey in the films due to the focus on his relationship with his father). Everyone always leaves out Faramir.... :unamused:

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Faramir (who's definitely good in the books, but is more morally grey in the films due to the focus on his relationship with his father)

Okay, full disclosure, although I like LOTRs movie:sweat_smile:, I did not read any books of LOTRs and I only came to know about the books after I saw the movie and I watched it out of curiosity since lot of my cousins, friends and even uncles(in their youth) use to watch it multiple times.

19 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Arwen's father had good intentions in opposing the relationship

Why? My memory is kind of fuzzy about their relationship. Like, I knew he did not approve her choice and did not like her taking risks with her life. But,what was the reason behind his disapproval?

20 minutes ago, kittyna said:

This one is just all kinds of cute

Yeah, he tried to make a blood pack with Cha Yoo Jin, so, it is safe to say that he is a bit extreme than Sam. He is more like in middle of "Alan(from Hangover) and Sam"

• Like 2

Okay, full disclosure, although I like LOTRs movie:sweat_smile:, I did not read any books of LOTRs and I only came to know about the books after I saw the movie and I watched it out of curiosity since lot of my cousins, friends and even uncles(in their youth) use to watch it multiple times.

That's okay - I was really just expecting the focus to be on the films in this activity. When I get to my own responses, I'll make sure to point out anything that comes more from the books (or, at least, my fuzzy memory of them :P).

Why? My memory is kind of fuzzy about their relationship. Like, I knew he did not approve her choice and did not like her taking risks with her life. But,what was the reason behind his disapproval?

Long story short, it comes down to the issue of (im)mortality: elves are immortal and humans are not, which makes romantic relationships...complicated. More character-specific and detailed response below if you want it:

Spoiler

If there's one key thing to remember here, it's that Elrond (Arwen's father) and Arwen herself are what's called half-elven: i.e., of mixed human and elven ancestry. In this story universe, half-elven people are born as elves by default, but can choose to become human instead. Those who make that choice to become human will eventually die, as will their descendants (who are now born human by default), but the elven genetic legacy does live on in these humans, as they generally have more resilient bodies and thus longer lifespans. Meanwhile, half-elven who stay on as elves (as Elrond does) pass that mixed heritage to their children - thus also granting them the right to choose humanity if they want to.

So Arwen, despite actually having more elven blood than human, is left to make a choice: should she stay on as an elf, or should she become human? It should be noted that whichever she chooses, Elrond still initially believes a romantic relationship with Aragorn is a bad idea. If she stays an elf, she will eventually become a widow for eternity (because Aragorn will inevitably die, but elves are monogamous). But, if she chooses to become human, she won't have to worry about a long bereavement, but she will die herself - and as a father who knows his daughter has access to immortality, that's a fate he'd never want for her.

In the books, Arwen has chosen humanity well before the main events of the story, so Elrond's already gotten used to the idea by the time we see him. But what I've just described is what I remember from the movies. Also, in the films at least, Elrond is...maybe just a tad racist? :P Over the course of his life, he's seen humans completely eff things up so many times that he has this really strongly entrenched negative bias towards them that's also absent from the books (if I recall correctly).

Yeah, he tried to make a blood pack with Cha Yoo Jin, so, it is safe to say that he is a bit extreme than Sam. He is more like in middle of "Alan(from Hangover) and Sam"

Oh, yeah - that scene was hilarious! :loolz: I think that's one of my favourite things about Yoo Il Rak: he's so kind-hearted and earnest, but also so extra :P And Cha Yoo Jin's all like, "What did I do to end up with friends with a bunch of crazies like these???"

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, kittyna said:

That's okay - I was really just expecting the focus to be on the films in this activity

Now that we are talking of LOTR, I would like to share this spoof video of the movie(Ignore the commercial at the end of the video)

Spoiler

• Like 2