Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Instagram update from JW's stylist - It looks like he and his team finally got around to celebrating his Producer's Award, since the writing on the cake plate says, "2021 Drama Awards/National Actor Joo Won".

For those who are wondering: yes, it does literally say "Yeongi Daesang" on there, but the word "daesang" can also mean awards more generally and not just the *actual* Daesang. So, the SBS Drama Awards are, in transliterated Korean, "SBS yeongi daesang". ;) 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, kittyna said:

Instagram update from JW's stylist - It looks like he and his team finally got around to celebrating

A team dinner with no alcohol? Lol, it is one  rare in Korean team dinner I have ever seen, at least among on Instagram of celebrities, most the celebrities use the occasion to promote "Soju" or some kind of alcohol beverage, guess joo won doesn't do it since he doesn't drink

• LOL 2

19 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

A team dinner with no alcohol?

Yeah, that's definitely going to be the case here - unless they want JW to end up passing out halfway through the meal :naughty:

FYI, I know I tease JW a lot on this forum for his inability to drink, but I do want to point out that I actually think it's one of his most endearing qualities :) It's just that, as @kireeti2 pointed out, it's so rare to see a Korean celebrity who can't drink (not "won't drink" but actually physically can't) - like, it's so contradictory to just about everything we imagine about Korean social life - that it's hard to resist that urge to have fun with it :P 

35 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

most the celebrities use the occasion to promote "Soju" or some kind of alcohol beverage, guess joo won doesn't do it since he doesn't drink

Oh dear God - if JW ever got a CF offer for soju or some other alcoholic beverage...someone clearly didn't do their homework :loolz:

But that being said, it's likely that members of his team would still drink at these gatherings if it's allowed - JW is more likely to just choose a non-alcoholic beverage himself (water in this case) rather than pressuring anyone else to join him.

By the way, this does remind me of the time on Life Log when he was shown drinking McCol (the soda brand he shot a CF for) at a dinner with his friends :) 

Finally, just a quick heads-up: I'm still working on the couples/pairs round of the Disney challenge. It's taking me a while because, well, I don't think anyone just wants to focus on romance eight times over ;) So, currently, I'm trying to think outside the box a little, and that includes scrounging around on YouTube for ideas.

• Blob 2

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

JW is more likely to just choose a non-alcoholic beverage

I think, most likely he will choose coffee

I'm still working on the couples/pairs round of the Disney challenge.

:fear: Yikes!! Couples rounds challenge  is toughest out of all the challenges,since we have to think both the point of view of Male lead and Female lead

It's just that, as @kireeti2 pointed out, it's so rare to see a Korean celebrity who can't drink (not "won't drink" but actually physically can't) - like, it's so contradictory to just about everything we imagine about Korean social life - that it's hard to resist that urge to have fun with it

Yeah, in Joo won's case it is physical barrier not the mental. Like, he can't drink even though he want to. But I do believe he smokes, right?

Oh dear God - if JW ever got a CF offer for soju or some other alcoholic beverage...someone clearly didn't do their homework 

Well it's not like a moral thing, joo won could drink water from a Alcohol brand or just take a sip and spit it. Moon Chae Won does the same thing, like if she wants to shoot a drinking scene she would just drink water from the alcohol bottle or spit it out after the shot is done.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Well it's not like a moral thing, joo won could drink water from a Alcohol brand or just take a sip and spit it. Moon Chae Won does the same thing, like if she wants to shoot a drinking scene she would just drink water from the alcohol bottle or spit it out after the shot is done.

Yeah, I know (how else would he do it in dramas?), I was just fooling around :P Commercial deals are different from acting, because even if we know it's not actually the case, the endorsement is implying that the celebrity actually uses the product and can vouch for it. Which, in the case of JW plus any alcoholic beverage, would be so blatantly untrue as to be completely nonsensical :lol:

36 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

But I do believe he smokes, right?

To the best of my knowledge, yes. It sounds really counter-intuitive - and many new fans are shocked when they find out - but it's not something that JW actively tries to hide. Okay, so he doesn't flaunt it either, but the evidence is there in these little "blink and you miss them" sorts of ways (e.g. a reference in Life Log to there being cigarettes in his van). 

It actually took me a long time to wrap my head around this, because I was so used to his fluffy and wholesome "aegyo maknae" image, but I did eventually realize that smoking (at least among men) was socially acceptable in Korea and wasn't seen as a reflection of one's moral character. And it's extremely prevalent in the entertainment industry, since nicotine functions as both a stimulant and an appetite suppressant. Most likely, though, actors or idols who smoke are occasional smokers rather than the type who constantly needs a cigarette (since that just wouldn't be practical with their busy schedules).

Of course, simply for the health risk and the negative long-term effects of smoking on someone's singing voice, I will always wish that he decides to quit. But at the same time, coming back to this whole broader discussion of vices in general...I'd rather have him smoking than drinking ;) There's less room for poor judgment and bad choices, all things considered.

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

I think, most likely he will choose coffee

lol - Probably :P 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Yikes!! Couples rounds challenge  is toughest out of all the challenges,since we have to think both the point of view of Male lead and Female lead

Which is why I'm trying my best to change it up right now - more on that when it's ready ;) 

• Insightful 2

In around 2 hours Joo Won and Ivy shorterview will be on air in YouTube.

Can't wait.. also don't know if I can watch it properly at work. :sweatingbullets: But fan girl in me will not just let me be patient. So I don't what I will happen.

Also in previous update there's a photo frame with Sam and Molly couple photo.. I wonder when did they took it. At early stage of promotion or later.

EsK1KVKVkAA12Zp?format=jpg&name=900x900

Hope we'll get to see a better look at it in the show 

More at: https://mobile.twitter.com/JWTHFC/status/1351839187742416896

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

These three look like typical High school best friends from typical Kdrama

Other than Park Jun Myeon none of these other friends are talkative type and and JW is the one who talks lest. I wonder how it'll go on..the way he was playing with his hands showes he has many things going on in his mind or nothing going on his mind at all..:lol: Also from preview it showed he had fun. So can't wait to watch it.

And he picked Lee Su Guen as the Hyung-nim he missed. He's excited to meet LSG after a long time. :D

And our Joo Won is Soo cute! :wub:

Saying "watch it realtime~"

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

It's here... :gangnamstyle:

With English subtitles! 

Shorterview with Joo Won and Ivy is so damn funny.. Honestly I didn't think I'd enjoy it this much.

JW is so spontaneous.. specially the soul swapping corner he was so damn natural..laughed and loved it so much.

EsPzRzGVoAE1za7?format=jpg&name=small

That idea was really cool.. writers did some cool writing to come up with that segment.

Specially when JW and IVY asked if they'd ever felt something for the other as women/man.. they were so playful and witty. I really had fun watching this.

:partyblob:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 1

9 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Lol! These three look like typical High school best friends from typical Kdrama

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Other than Park Jun Myeon none of these other friends are talkative type and and JW is the one who talks lest. I wonder how it'll go on..the way he was playing with his hands showes he has many things going on in his mind or nothing going on his mind at all..:lol: Also from preview it showed he had fun. So can't wait to watch it.

lol - I think JW's always going to be the quiet one, especially when he's placed with more bubbly and outgoing personalities like he is here :P 

By the way, my favourite part was when JW started bopping along when Park Jun Myeon was singing. That seemed to be the moment when he was most in his element in this short clip :) 

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Shorterview with Joo Won and Ivy is so damn funny.. Honestly I didn't think I'd enjoy it this much.

Well, I'll tell you what: I certainly wasn't expecting that entrance :loolz:

It's weird, because now that I think about it, I very seldom see JW acting as a flirtatious (or, let's be real, sexually active) character - like, usually, his roles are more of the shy and awkward type in love (e.g. Park Si On) or just full-on tsundere. So while I knew he'd pull it off naturally as the talented actor he is, I was still like, "Dang...that's a bit more risqué than I thought it'd be!"

JW is so spontaneous.. specially the soul swapping corner he was so damn natural..laughed and loved it so much.

I don't think I've seen anything like that segment before, and it took me a while to figure out what was going on. So, right off the bat, I understood that, say, IVY would improvise JW's answer to a question, but I didn't expect that he'd also then lipsync with her response.

By the way, can I just say that IVY nailed her response to Jessi's question to JW about working with Kim Hee Sun in Alice? Like, JW pretty much says that about every single one of his co-stars! She also nailed his habit of glancing at his co-stars and going, "Okay, noona?" at the end of his answers (in response to the "dating" question), so let's just say that IVY really knows JW's interview style very well.

Specially when JW and IVY asked if they'd ever felt something for the other as women/man.. they were so playful and witty. I really had fun watching this.

They were totally taking advantage of the fact that they get to put words in each other's mouths there :loolz:

I also noticed that JW was the one who started it; I thought IVY would prank him first, but he just went for it and she's just like, "Dude, what the hell?!" But then she got him right back with her own answer to the same question.

However, I think my favourite segment overall was when JW and IVY had to sing their responses. They were clearly having so much fun improvising like that, and they were both trying to throw out a different style each time :lol:

(By the way, since Jung Shik - i.e. Jessi's co-host - brings it up: no, I don't think JW's voice is a good match for Jean Valjean. Not yet, anyway. Maybe it'll take actually hearing him cover a more classic/traditional musical theatre number to convince me, but I still see him in more "contemporary" style roles right now.)

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

JW is so spontaneous.. specially the soul swapping corner he was so damn natural..laughed and loved it so muc

I thought Joo won would play safe about the crush thing, but he sort of like went all-out. Soul Swap segment is also my favorite thing and Joo won did fairly well in a variety show, I must confess, I had my skepticism about this show, since Jessi's show is know for being aggressive towards their guests, but joo won handled it well, like in the beginning of the show she asked if he is any good at singing

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Same here, even though show started a bit slow but it picked up the pace as the show progressed

Also, in the comment section a regular viewer said that this is the show where Jessi didn't swear or there is no use swear words in this show.

36 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, can I just say that IVY nailed her response to Jessi's question to JW about working with Kim Hee Sun in Alice?

Yeah, it's like she literally swapped her soul with him. And joo won also did a good job playing as IVY.

38 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Well, I'll tell you what: I certainly wasn't expecting that entrance

I thought this scene was about their musical performance and I was also surprised at the entrance

40 minutes ago, kittyna said:

She also nailed his habit of glancing at his co-stars and going, "Okay, noona?" at the end of his answers (in response to the "dating" question), so let's just say that IVY really knows JW's interview style very well.

Yup, she totally transformed herself as Joo won and also copied his mannerism in impeccable way.

My favorite part was that team chemistry round, where they were doing coping each other answers to get the same answers. Overall the show was enjoyable and fun to watch

• Like 2
  • Blob 1

29 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Yup, she totally transformed herself as Joo won and also copied his mannerism in impeccable way.

To be fair, the camera was mostly on him when she was speaking, so it was harder to see IVY's gestures or facial expressions. But I think what happened is that IVY responded perfectly in JW's tone of voice, which is why his lipsync wound up so seamless. ;) Like, if I could imagine a man's voice speaking her lines, they would be exactly how JW actually speaks in interviews - including when he pauses in thought, the general rhythm/intonation, etc.

And then Jessi was just as impressed by JW's lipsync (the caption about his Producer's Award) as she was by IVY's answer :glasses:

And joo won also did a good job playing as IVY.

Maybe I'm just less familiar with IVY's interview style, but I think I still sensed a good deal of JW himself when he was imitating her. :P 

Also, in the comment section a regular viewer said that this is the show where Jessi didn't swear or there is no use swear words in this show.

Oh - does Jessi tend to swear a lot? It's my first time watching this show, so I wouldn't have known. Not that I mind, to be honest (nor do I think JW or IVY would have minded - especially given how much swearing JW's characters use), but I'm just wondering now.

I thought this scene was about their musical performance and I was also surprised at the entrance

I know, right? I'm kicking myself for being surprised - since I know that that's a huge part of Sam's character in Ghost and that JW doesn't shy away from his characters' sexuality to begin with (Spring Awakening, anyone?) - but I still was :lol: It's like he and IVY decided to just go for it and up the ante this time around, given that they already kissed on Yu Huiyeol's Sketchbook from 2013 :P 

• Blob 3

31 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Oh - does Jessi tend to swear a lot?

Oh, a lot. She is known for zero filters and being casual with her guests. Unlike typical interviews where host is gracious and considerate towards their guest. I do think Joo won's followers are going to increase considerably since her show is popular among millennials

• Like 3

13 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I do think Joo won's followers are going to increase considerably since her show is popular among millennials

Not to mention that he just accumulates a bunch of new fans with every project he does: I've noticed a number of comments on his pre-Alice promotions (like the compliments reading video with Kim Hee Sun) from people who were only familiar with him as Park Jin Gyeom and were completely blindsided by his aegyo in real life :bashful:

Anyway, I'm actually here with the Couples/Pairs round of my Disney-Drama Character challenge, so here goes!

Spoiler

Disney-Drama Character Associations: Round Three (Pairs)

If you've seen the musical theatre version of this, you already know the drill. But just in case you need a refresher, the question is simple: which two character from JW's dramas comes to your mind when you hear each song, and why?

As with any of my "pairs" challenges, note that you don't have to just stick with couples. As long as they're both from the same drama, you can go with any two-person combination you want :) 

A few more general guidelines/tips:

1. Don't overthink the relationships in the Disney pairs. Some are couples, some are family, some are friends, but you don't have to stick with that for the drama characters. If a couple in a Disney number makes you think of two siblings in a drama, go for it!
  2. You can repeat individual characters, but not entire pairs. For example, you can answer Park Jin Gyeom + Kim Do Yeon for one prompt, and Jin Gyeom + Yoon Tae Yi in another.

Once again, there are no right or wrong answers - in true Disney spirit, just let your imagination go wild! :partyblob:

1. "Bop to the Top" from High School Musical

Disney characters: Sharpay + Ryan 

Context: Sibling duo Sharpay and Ryan are two drama students who have historically played the leads in many of their high school's productions. This is the piece they perform in the second callback round of auditions for an upcoming musical, both professing their willingness to do anything it takes to beat out the competition.

(And, before you ask, yes, I was partially inspired by JW and IVY's recent Ghost promos to include a classic musical theatre-style number here.)

2. "Where You Are" from Moana

Disney characters: Chief Tui + Gramma Tala

Context: For generations, the people of Montonui have been content to stay on their tropical island, believing the ocean to be too dangerous. Noticing that his daughter, Moana, is inexplicably drawn to the water, Chief Tui tries to raise her to keep in line with their culture's traditions - but Gramma Tala (Tui's mother and, thus, Moana's grandmother) has different ideas.

3. "Love is an Open Door" from Frozen

Disney characters: Anna + Hans

Context: After meeting Prince Hans for the first time at her sister's coronation ball, Princess Anna finds that they seem to get along on almost everything. They playfully flirt with each other, but Anna doesn't realize that (spoilers) Hans is actually faking his feelings for her and only wants to court her due to her position as heir to the throne.

4. "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)" from Frozen (yes, I'm continuing with the Frozen theme, but it's because both of these songs were too good not to include)

Disney characters: Anna and Elsa (note: you can answer a different person for Anna than you did in #3)

Context: After Elsa flees from her own coronation when her ice powers are accidentally revealed to the people, Anna (her sister) tracks her down to the home she's built for herself in the mountains. She tries to persuade Elsa to go back with her, but that doesn't go as well as planned.

(Lyrics if you need them)

5. "Out There" from The Hunchback of Notre Dame

Disney characters: Frollo + Quasimodo

Context: For as long as he could remember, Quasimodo has been kept hidden away from the public eye inside the Notre Dame Cathedral. His guardian, Frollo, claims that he is doing so only to protect him from abuse due to his physical deformities, but Quasimodo still wants to experience the outside world just once in his life.

(Lyrics if anyone wants them)

6. "Something There" from Beauty and the Beast

Disney characters: Belle and the Beast

Context: As Belle gets accustomed to living in the Beast's castle, a friendship slowly forms between them - and possibly something more as well.

(Lyrics if anyone wants them)

7. "A Man Has Dreams" from Mary Poppins

Disney characters: Mr. Banks + Bert

Context: Mr. Banks has always believed that by throwing himself into his job at the bank, he is doing what's right and best for his family, even if it means seldom spending any time with his young children. But when he finds himself on the verge of losing his job, he receives wisdom and advice from the most unlikely source: a chimney sweep.

(Lyrics if you need them)

8. "A Cover is Not the Book" from Mary Poppins Returns

Disney characters: Mary Poppins + Jack

Context: Mary and Jack are asked to perform a song-and-dance number for the animal and child guests in the Royal Doulton Music Hall. In the midst of all the silliness, they teach an important lesson about not judging people by appearances.

• Like 2

1. Knowing Brother Joo Won is trending on number 6 in Naver Sports and entertainment section today. :partyblob:

EsVL6_lUwAA7Gkz?format=jpg&name=medium

2. And the news focusing on Joo Won in Knowing Brother.

Knowing Brother' Joo-Won "I got the secret of height 2 → 185cm tall…I grew 20cm at once"

Input 2021.01.22. 7:06 pm

Reporter Kang Hyo-jin

0000282379_001_20210122190633561.jpg?typ

▲ Joo Won. SourceㅣJTBC

[Sport TV News = Reporter Kang Hyo-jin] Actor Joo-won revealed the secret to growing tall in'Knowing Brother'.

JTBC'Knowing Brother', which airs on the 23rd, features Juwon, Ivy, and Park Jun-myeon, who are performing masterpieces in the musical'Ghost', as transfer students.

In the recent recording of'Knowing Brother', the three showed excellent singing skills and said goodbye. It is said that the set of three people on the stage quickly turned into the first row of the grand theater. Then, the special history of the transfer students was revealed, which greatly surprised the older brothers.

On this day, the three showed off their mouths as good as their brilliant singing skills. In particular, Joo-won revealed the secret of being able to grow up to 185cm even though his parents were not tall.

Joo-won said, "At the time of admission to junior high school, it was number 2 in the height of both men and women. But by some action, I grew up to 20 cm at once," raising questions. As soon as Lee Su-geun listened to Joo-won, he said, “Turn on the TV! Taejun-ah!” cried out his son's name and laughed.

Joo-won also showed off his excitement and talent to his heart's content in the second period corner. In particular, he gained a hot response by revealing his dancing skills that were rarely seen in entertainment programs.

Joo-won's'Tallest Secret', which focused Lee Soo-geun's attention, can be found in JTBC's'Knowing Brother', broadcast at 9 pm on the 23rd.

Sports News = ganghyojin TV reporter bestest@spotvnews.co.kr

NewsLink: https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/477/0000282379

• Like 3

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

Seo In-Suk  and Han Seung-Jae. I know these two are not siblings, but I think these two match the musical characters, like, these two are ambitious and will do anything to beat their competition.So, I have decided to go with these two

9 hours ago, kittyna said:

King Wheejong  and Princess Hyemyung, I was unable come up with a pair for this musical and had to settle with these two. It was only natural for a king you exiled his loving wife, will be extra protective about his only daughter. So, I though these two fit this musical(not an ideal one or to be honest, I wanted to come up with better pair but I couldn't)

Lee Sang Chul and Kim So Hyun. I sort of think they were flirting with each other or at least were attracted to each other in the final episodes. Again not Ideal, but it is the close couple I could get with my imagination

4. "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)" from Frozen (yes, I'm continuing with the Frozen theme, but it's because both of these songs were too good not to include)

Na In-Hae and Na In-Young, but I think in the drama the roles are reversed like, In-Hae is the one who was persuading In Young to go with treatment and surgery. And we don't get to see much of scene between sisters even if there few sisters character in Joo won's drama. (I thought of picking Yoon Tae Yin (2020) and KDY, but the I found In-Hae and In-Young best fit for this musical)

10 hours ago, kittyna said:

Lee Ho-Joon and Kim Tae Hyun. Okay first I would like explain what made me think of this pair. Just the main lead in the musical was oblivious to the outside world, kim Tae Hyun was also oblivious to the world of 12th floor and troubles he is going to go through while treating the VIP patients. I would like to think Lee Ho-Joon initially resisted Kim Tae Hyun appointment to Han Yeo Jin case because as a senior he doesn't want him to entangle in criminal cases as it is a crime to keep patient in induced coma if there is no life risk or if it not advised medically. So, not much to draw parallels except for the resistance of a guardian like figure, who is protecting someone in his care from harsh thing from outside world(in case of Yong Pal its 12th floor)

Lee Kang To and Mok Dan. Just like in musical, how belle  misunderstood beast (which is totally normal,since he is keeping her in his castle against her will and I think this Disney movie to be a case of Stockholm Syndrome) Mok Dna also misunderstands Lee Kang To due to his inhumane treatment towards his fellow Koreans, but in the end she realize who he is and finally ends up marrying him just like the ending in the Beauty and Beast.

Cha Yoo Jin and Yoo II Rak. So, just like in musical how an guy who thinks he got it all gets advice from a person who according to him is not even worthy to have a coffee with him, Cha Yoo Jin also learns few lessons from II-Rak when he was going through crisis, who he initial though has no brain or talent to be musical student

Franz Stresemann and Song Mi-Na . So, just like in musical how the main leads pointing out not judge someone by appearance, these two in the drama tried their best help the students to reach their potential in musical, who were often discarded due to their appearance(Nae-Il), anxiety(Ma Soo-Min) and not able to attend class because they have to take lot of part-time jobs since they have to fund their own education(Cho Min-Hee). So, these two have lot of empathy and understanding when it comes to judging their students. Hence, I am choosing these two characters

Phew!!!!! That was THE most tough challenge cum assignment I have ever done, at least for assignments I could have used the google's help, but for your challenges I have to lot of brain storming, that's why I do the challenges in the evenings, so I can take a quick nap when I am done with the challenges.

I must say, this couple challenge was really tough(I did enjoy it), like, I had compare lot of couples in order to come up with the answer and also explanation part of also tough, since the explanation should match both the characters.

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

At the time of admission to junior high school, it was number 2 in the height of both men and women. But by some action, I grew up to 20 cm at once," raising questions. As soon as Lee Su-geun listened to Joo-won, he said, “Turn on the TV! Taejun-ah!” cried out his son's name and laughed

It happened to lot of my friends, like they were shorter than me before summer and they sort of grew a lot after summer and became tallest guys in the class. So, I am sensing there would few jokes about this form Lee Soo Guen and Seo Jang Hoon, like these two are the tallest and shortest members of the cast

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

dancing skills that were rarely seen in entertainment programs.

I think if he concentrates on his dancing skills he could compete with the idols. Despite being 185cms tall, his body can move rhythmically along with the music. But due to time constrains he was not able to cultivate his dancing skills properly

• Blob 2

18 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Phew!!!!! That was THE most tough challenge cum assignment I have ever done, at least for assignments I could have used the google's help, but for your challenges I have to lot of brain storming, that's why I do the challenges in the evenings, so I can take a quick nap when I am done with the challenges.

I must say, this couple challenge was really tough(I did enjoy it), like, I had compare lot of couples in order to come up with the answer and also explanation part of also tough, since the explanation should match both the characters.

Well, I'm also still brainstorming for my own responses, so....

By the way, you really did well with this challenge :) There were some answers that surprised me (not in a bad way, just in a "I never would have thought that" sort of way), and there were some that I really, really liked.

Cha Yoo Jin and Yoo II Rak. So, just like in musical how an guy who thinks he got it all gets advice from a person who according to him is not even worthy to have a coffee with him, Cha Yoo Jin also learns few lessons from II-Rak when he was going through crisis, who he initial though has no brain or talent to be musical student

Okay, I'm biased (:P, but I think this one's my favourite :) It matches their personalities really well once we set aside all the stuff in the song about parenting - you know, since neither of them are there yet. There is reasonable argument that running an orchestra (especially ones as chaotic as the S Orchestra or Rising Star) isn't all that much different from handling a bunch of kids, though ;) 

Lee Ho-Joon and Kim Tae Hyun. Okay first I would like explain what made me think of this pair. Just the main lead in the musical was oblivious to the outside world, kim Tae Hyun was also oblivious to the world of 12th floor and troubles he is going to go through while treating the VIP patients. I would like to think Lee Ho-Joon initially resisted Kim Tae Hyun appointment to Han Yeo Jin case because as a senior he doesn't want him to entangle in criminal cases as it is a crime to keep patient in induced coma if there is no life risk or if it not advised medically. So, not much to draw parallels except for the resistance of a guardian like figure, who is protecting someone in his care from harsh thing from outside world(in case of Yong Pal its 12th floor)

I like this idea, because I definitely think that was what was happening in Yong Pal. It's not the direction I'm heading in (since there's more than a bit of manipulation and gaslighting on Frollo's part), but I can see how you got there :thumbsup:

Na In-Hae and Na In-Young, but I think in the drama the roles are reversed like, In-Hae is the one who was persuading In Young to go with treatment and surgery. And we don't get to see much of scene between sisters even if there few sisters character in Joo won's drama. (I thought of picking Yoon Tae Yin (2020) and KDY, but the I found In-Hae and In-Young best fit for this musical)

Yeah...sister pairs are few and far between in JW's dramas, so I do think this is the best fit if we stick with that particular relationship :) 

I am curious how you thought of Tae Yi and Do Yeon, though ;) 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I am curious how you thought of Tae Yi and Do Yeon, though

I think the fact that they both were attached towards PGY and in the scene where they bonded over drinks sure made me look at them like sisters. And also, they too were genuinely worried about each others safety, just like in frozen, and if I have to draw parallels from frozen characters Yoon Tae Yi(2020) will be "Elsa" and Kim Do Yeon will be Anna. Now that I think of, I think these two will be my back up choice since they sort of fit the description :P

• Like 2

It happened to lot of my friends, like they were shorter than me before summer and they sort of grew a lot after summer and became tallest guys in the class. So, I am sensing there would few jokes about this form Lee Soo Guen and Seo Jang Hoon, like these two are the tallest and shortest members of the cast

Yeah - childhood height and voice don't actually reveal a lot about what a guy's gonna look or sound like as an adult :P 

10 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

dancing skills that were rarely seen in entertainment programs.

I think if he concentrates on his dancing skills he could compete with the idols. Despite being 185cms tall, his body can move rhythmically along with the music. But due to time constrains he was not able to cultivate his dancing skills properly

Reality is, JW can hold his own as a dancer, given what I've seen from him in the past (Frees1N2D, etc.). While his height could make things awkward at times, he has the advantage of a strong innate sense of rhythm: if nothing else, he can feel the beat of a piece of music really easily and that allows him to improvise in such a way that even if the moves are "wrong", they end up feeling right.

And let's not forget that JW was the one tasked with teaching his cast mates their dance moves during the karaoke scene in Alice - and that it actually takes a certain skill in dancing to act out bad dancing the way he does as Park Jin Gyeom ;) 

20 hours ago, kittyna said:

Franz Stresemann and Song Mi-Na . So, just like in musical how the main leads pointing out not judge someone by appearance, these two in the drama tried their best help the students to reach their potential in musical, who were often discarded due to their appearance(Nae-Il), anxiety(Ma Soo-Min) and not able to attend class because they have to take lot of part-time jobs since they have to fund their own education(Cho Min-Hee). So, these two have lot of empathy and understanding when it comes to judging their students. Hence, I am choosing these two characters

Didn't get to responding to this answer earlier, but just want to say that I love it :approves:

And I guess that's my segue into my own responses to this challenge - which, I have to say, was also really tough. I know that might sound empty to you guys (you know, since I came up with the thing), but I really don't go into these challenges with set answers in mind. I just try to get as broad or interesting a range as possible, then hope for the best :sweat_smile:

Disney characters: Sharpay + Ryan 

For me, there's something about the lighthearted tone of this piece that automatically makes me think of Nae Il's Cantabile, and with that drama in mind, I'm going to go with two of the show's "A"s: Chae Do Kyung and Han Seung Oh (i.e. the A Orchestra's conductor). Both of them have this flair to their performance styles that I thought fit Sharpay and Ryan's general vibe (especially Do Kyung, but I have commented on Seung Oh's over-the-top conducting before ;)). However, more so than that, I just thought of what it'd be like to be A students in Haneum: the S's might think they have their success handed to them because of wealth or connections (and they do definitely take their status for granted and become arrogant as a result), but in reality, these students work their butts off to get where they are. As Cha Yoo Jin says to Yoo Il Rak, he "threw up blood" (i.e. threw himself completely into) practicing as a kid.

So...why Do Kyung rather than, say, Jung Si Won? Because Si Won's too much of a team player to fit the Disney characters here :P Sharpay, like Do Kyung, is quite self-centred and has no qualms against stepping on others in order to advance: it's mentioned at one point in the film that if she could find a way to play both the male and female lead, she'd push even her own brother down, so....

Disney characters: Chief Tui + Gramma Tala

Like @kireeti2, I can really just think of the King and Dowager Queen from My Sassy Girl. I think it's worth noting that both of them love Hye Myung dearly, but they hold very different opinions on her tendency not to play by the rules: the King wants her to conform for her own safety, while the Dowager Queen encourages her to wait and bide her time for the right opportunity to shine.

Disney characters: Anna + Hans

This prompt...oof. This one's tough, because most of the JW drama relationships that I can think of with this specific dynamic in regards to social status either have the girl actively trying to seduce the guy (e.g. Lee Chae Young + Kim Tae Hyun in Yong Pal), the girl being in on the flattery and thus not actually in love (e.g. Chae Do Kyung + just about every guy who's fallen for her ever :P), or have the guy as the good one in the relationship (e.g. Chae Young + Tae Hyun, again).

I can, however, think of several examples that are equally imperfect matches, but that each touch on some elements of this particular dynamic. So, I'll just show them all and you guys can tell me which you like most:

• Chae Hong Joo (Ueno Rie) + Lee Kang To from Gaksital - This doesn't fully work because she's definitely aware he doesn't really love her, but at least I think her feelings for him are genuine.
  • Seo In Sook + Han Seung Jae from King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu - Again, no way in hell does she actually like him (if anything, it's the other way around), but there's no denying that his part in their extramarital affair stemmed from his own ambition
  • Oh Si Young + Gil Cheol Am from Alice - Not a romantic relationship in any sense, but what jumped out to me here is that Cheol Am is the drama character who I think comes closest to Hans in terms of the specific kind of shadiness he has: he comes off as a good friend to Si Young, but he's actually faking sympathy in order to use her feelings of resentment over "doors in [her] face" (i.e. Min Hyuk's repeated rejections) for his own nefarious ends

([EDIT] Okay, after writing them all out like this, I think my own personal favourite is Si Young + Cheol Am. So, take that as my "official" response if you want. I am, however, still curious what you think of the others.)

4. "For the First Time in Forever (Reprise)" from Frozen 

Disney characters: Anna and Elsa 

Okay, it might be a cheap shot to choose two alter egos here, but I honestly thought first of both versions of Yoon Tae Yi from Alice (in order: 2020 and 2050) here - especially in terms of their conflicting interests re: the Book of Prophecy and stopping time travel. So, on the one hand, we have 2050-Tae Yi, who's convinced she's cursed and who subsequently pushes 2020-Tae Yi away on numerous occasions in order to protect her: first by putting her up for adoption as a child (after seeing the final page), and then by begging her to stay away from Jin Gyeom (after his success in time travel leaves him vulnerable to turning dark). But on the other hand, that just makes 2020-Tae Yi even more determined to pursue the end of time travel, despite knowing that it would put her in danger.

Disney characters: Frollo + Quasimodo

Full disclosure: Frollo in the Disney movie is an emotionally abusive, narcissistic piece of you-know-what. But that's not what I think about my choice here: Kim Do Han and Park Si On from Good Doctor. Instead, I do see Do Han has having good intentions when he tries to dissuade Si On from joining his team or becoming a surgeon: he's seen how society treats those with disabilities like his brother, and he also blames himself for encouraging his brother to go out into the world and expand his horizons (which ultimately leads to the boy's death). So I do think that Do Han is doing what he thinks is best for Si On by holding him back at first - but, well, Si On's never gonna let anyone stop him from striving toward his goals, is he? ;) 

Disney characters: Belle and the Beast

lol - First things first: the characters one picks for this prompt are probably a stronger reflection of one's interpretation of Beauty and the Beast than any JW drama :P So while - as @kireeti2 pointed out - there is reasonable argument for Belle having some version of Stockholm Syndrome, I actually saw the story differently. Instead, when I watched the film growing up, I saw Belle as someone who had a strong personality and ethical code who only befriended the Beast after he started to change from a violently temperamental monster into someone kinder. And the end result of that is that she becomes pretty much the only person in town who sees that side of him.

All this is to say that my choice is Kim Do Yeon and Park Jin Gyeom from Alice. No, Do Yeon's not the only person to see Jin Gyeom's good side (and Jin Gyeom's definitely a better person than the Beast started off as), but she's the one who has a noticeable change of heart when they were in high school, and who's been guiding him on this whole series of baby steps as he learns to care more for others. And once that's said and done...well, if you mess with him, you mess with her as well ;) 

Disney characters: Mr. Banks + Bert

Here, I'm actually going to go with Kang Hyun Tae (i.e. the hospital's Assistant Director) and Park Si On from Good Doctor. The way I see it, Assistant Director Kang was never a bad person: his attempts to privatize the hospital stemmed from his belief that corporate investment would allow the hospital to pay for better treatments for his son. However, like Mr. Banks, Assistant Director Kang's narrow focus on his son's physical needs leaves him unable to see the bigger picture for both his son and the hospital. And it takes the pediatrics team (among whom I'm choosing Park Si On for having the best fit with Bert in terms of personality) to help him see that.

Disney characters: Mary Poppins + Jack

Although the whole "theatre show for kids" concept would fit better with Good Doctor, I'm gonna change things up a bit and try to find a match from another drama. Given that, for this prompt, I'm gonna choose the ICU nurse (who is, rather annoyingly for such a significant character, unnamed) and Kim Do Young (i.e. Tae Hyun's friend among the residents) from Yong Pal. Why these two? For me, it's that they both experience this lesson firsthand in their interactions with Kim Tae Hyun: we don't see what happened with Do Young (just that he's the only one among the residents who doesn't just dismiss Tae Hyun as a rude "money bug"), but we do see how the ICU nurse initially brushes him off until she comes to realize the true intentions behind his actions. As for why I'm going with her rather than Nurse Kang? Again, it's more a matter of personality and general vibe: I found the ICU nurse to have a bit more of the sass we get from Mary Poppins here ;) 

• Like 2