Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

8 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, I didn't expect JW to be asked about the American version of Good Doctor on top of everything else.

Yeah, me too. Because the similarities ended with season 3 of American version.

10 minutes ago, kittyna said:

(I hope KBS World gets around to these

I don't think that's gone happen. I think it is designed for the consumption of local fans. Had it been streamed on KBS world, then we could have expected for  translation.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

It's not translated yet (I hope KBS World gets around to these), but in the meantime, here are the clips from the interview I've found so far:

Not only it's not translated KBS hasn't resleased the full segment of Joo Won's appearance in 'Room of Memory'. The actual segment is longer than these three clips. May it's available for Koreans but not for international. I just hope they release the full segment.

While I was looking out for the whole segment. I found this.

Joo won second one to be invited in this corner after veteran actor Choi Soo Jong. It feels good to know that. If you look at the shows original wiki page you'll see this corner was only in first episode of the show and then at episode 18 where Joo Won appeared. The class... :coolshades:

Wiki page link: https://ko.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/연중_라이브_(2020년)

32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, I didn't expect JW to be asked about the American version of Good Doctor on top of everything else.

I on the other hand always wanted to know Joo Won's reaction on this. Always hoping it would be either asked by fans or by interviews. Glad finally it was addressed by KBS, the home of Good Doctor. And I love how he tells it with a confidence yet with cuteness that " I am better as I am the original." 

I want to say to Joo Won- Yes, you're the the best.

I like the introduction part. The masked interviewer asked him 'How did you come here?". Joo Won cheekily replied -"By Car." :lol:

Also loved this part of the first clip (00:58-01:20)

..….....

Interviewer: From your facial expression it looks like you're worried? Do you have worries?

JW: oh..I'm not particularly worried about something.

Interviewer looks sad because it doesn't goes well with his scripts! Ha ha...

Interviewer: You don't have worries?

JW: Yes..

Interviewer: Can't you just tell that you have worries.

JW: I don't have any.

:lol:

JW: I have lots of worries. Living is series of worries, anyways.

He had such a cheeky entrance to the show. I love overall vibe. 

I also love in they briefly mentioned all most all of his dramas except one. They even included all 3 from SBS. Usually TV stations try to avoid mentioning other rival stations show unless it's really important to mention. Love how they are being professional about it.

I really hope this full segment will be shared so international people can have access even if it's not translated. I agree with @kireeti2 in this regards that KBS will not provide translation. Before all the things usually got translated by KBS World but now things have changed. But I at least expect them to release full clip of the show. KBS usually are more international friendly in this regard. I really found it unusual they they didn't uploadt it full on YouTube.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I am better as I am the original

Indeed he is the best, actually when we compare both of the Good Doctor characters, Joo won's acting came-off as unique. American version feels a bit unoriginal, for instance, it feels like the character is mix of other characters with autism which were already played by other actors.

17 hours ago, kittyna said:

between Yang Sun Young and Seol Nae Il's temperaments - as well as Cha Dong Woo and Cha Yoo Jin's

But Cha Yoo Jin already made it clear that he is going to live like his father. So, I don't see any issues in their relationship, at least it will be not as bad his parent's relationship. And also, why do I sense that you doesn't like this particular couple i.e Cha Yoo Jin's parents. But I do feel like they did love each other in their initial marriage days i.e the honeymoon period of the married couple and then the actual issues came up, like, incompatible personalities and divergence of opinions on, how to raise Cha Yoo Jin. I also think they did come to terms that they can never be as normal couple and accepted their dysfunctional relationship and started to concentrate on raising Cha Yoo jin, which I see as the main reason why they didn't had second child. And the treatment regarding Cha Yoo jin would have been final and last flash point and Sun Young took the decision thinking it was in best interest of cha Yoo jin and divorced her husband and took the custody of Cha Yoo jin

But, I found the Chinese version parents of male lead had much  nuanced explanation. It explains clearly why the male lead hates his father. But in Korean version they never explained it in detail why Cha Yoo jin was nervous about his father(apart from one or two flashback scenes where he was indifferent to Cha Yoo jin) and why he needs his approval, since it was made clear that he was capable and he knows it.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And also, why do I sense that you doesn't like this particular couple i.e Cha Yoo Jin's parents. But I do feel like they did love each other in their initial marriage days i.e the honeymoon period of the married couple and then the actual issues came up, like, incompatible personalities and divergence of opinions on, how to raise Cha Yoo Jin. I also think they did come to terms that they can never be as normal couple and accepted their dysfunctional relationship and started to concentrate on raising Cha Yoo jin, which I see as the main reason why they didn't had second child. And the treatment regarding Cha Yoo jin would have been final and last flash point and Sun Young took the decision thinking it was in best interest of cha Yoo jin and divorced her husband and took the custody of Cha Yoo jin

I don't dislike them per se - if anything, I'd say I'm more nervous or wary about them than anything else. They are, as you pointed out, a classic case of how a completely normal relationship can still go wrong, and there's something about that that I think ends up feeling very...well, real. Like, there's none of that melodramatic stuff about affairs or severe domestic violence in this relationship (unlike most of the other dysfunctional marriages in JW's dramas). Instead, in them, I see something that could happen to anyone, even with the best of intentions: a couple that started off caring for each other whilst dating could end up realizing they're incompatible once the honeymoon phase wears off. For instance, this couple has two issues that could seriously derail a marriage: a skewed power dynamic, and divergent values when it comes to raising the kids. 

Note: when I say "a skewed power dynamic", I don't mean it in the sense of, say, gender norms. Instead, I mean it as the level of commitment and maturity that each person should bring into a relationship: if it's always one person caving and the other person taking them for granted, that's never gonna work in the long run. And while Nae Il's Cantabile doesn't address Cha Dong Woo and Yang Sun Young's marriage directly, it's not too hard to extrapolate from their respective personalities that Dong Woo was the one who did the "taking for granted" and where his love is contingent on whether he gets his way. Yeah...that's a huge red flag, even without all the high drama that we see from the other parental couples in JW's dramas.

As for where Yoo Jin and Nae Il come into this, well...were it not for the fact that Yoo Jin, as you pointed out, was committed to not making the same mistakes his parents did, I think a similar dynamic would have developed in his relationship with Nae Il. He needed to learn to consider things from her point of view and take on more of a guiding role - as opposed to a commanding or domineering one, which is where I think his father messed up. And seeing him actually succeed in learning that over the course of the drama was really satisfying :thumbsup:

But, I found the Chinese version parents of male lead had much  nuanced explanation. It explains clearly why the male lead hates his father. But in Korean version they never explained it in detail why Cha Yoo jin was nervous about his father(apart from one or two flashback scenes where he was indifferent to Cha Yoo jin) and why he needs his approval, since it was made clear that he was capable and he knows it.

Yeah, in terms of raising Yoo Jin himself, the waters get really murky, and I've had to come up with my own imagined interpretation for what's going on. Long story short, Yang Sun Young definitely believes that Cha Dong Woo was abusive (not just strict, but actually emotionally abusive); Cha Dong Woo believes that he was just being the strict "Asian dad" who was trying to do the right thing; and Yoo Jin is...probably somewhere in the middle. Like, on the one hand, he could see where his father was coming from and he still wants to actually meet his father's standards; yet on the other hand, there's no denying that his father's comments and behaviour over the years really hurt. So, in my own fics, for instance, when discussing his childhood, Nae Il's the one who's more likely to just say Cha Dong Woo was abusive (albeit still in a simplistic "anyone who pushes their child beyond the child's wishes is bad" sort of way), whereas Yoo Jin's not so sure.

By the way, re: Cha Dong Woo's indifference towards Yoo Jin in the flashback scene, I think the reason why Yoo Jin thought that was hurtful wasn't really in what was said, but the perceived meaning behind it, which I addressed in my most recent Seolleim in Salzburg fic:

Spoiler

As I take my seat on the piano bench, I allow myself one last look over the audience before fully devoting my attention to the music. My gaze lingers a fraction longer on Abeoji, seated at the end of the row closest to me, Chae Do Kyung beside him. Arms and legs crossed loosely, he leans back casually in his seat, a challenging glint in his eyes.

Of course you will succeed. What else do you expect? That’s what makes you the son of Cha Dong Woo.

Those same words, spoken by any other parent to any other child, would be a massive encouragement. Only I know the sting hidden behind them: succeed, be on top, make a name for yourself in Europe…or else.

Geu rae. Arasseo. Fifteen years, we’ve had to wait. But no more. Now, at long last…I’m finally ready.

Did Cha Dong Woo actually mean it that way? Hard to say, since he was also rather preoccupied with reading his own score in the flashback. But what matters is that Yoo Jin took it as an example of conditional (rather than unconditional) love - however, Yoo Jin's also not a particularly reliable narrator ;) 

Yeah, me too. Because the similarities ended with season 3 of American version.

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I on the other hand always wanted to know Joo Won's reaction on this. Always hoping it would be either asked by fans or by interviews. Glad finally it was addressed by KBS, the home of Good Doctor. And I love how he tells it with a confidence yet with cuteness that " I am better as I am the original." 

Indeed he is the best, actually when we compare both of the Good Doctor characters, Joo won's acting came-off as unique. American version feels a bit unoriginal, for instance, it feels like the character is mix of other characters with autism which were already played by other actors.

"I am better as I am the original" - Well, that's just cheeky, isn't it. :smort:

Since JW doesn't brag often, it's always worth noting what he focuses on when he does: like his "I'm more innocent" comment in 2010 (when he was asked how he was different from Kang Dong Won and TOP), or his "I'm going to keep acting until I die - let's see how many of us are left then" in 2015 (when asked his opinion on his popularity compared to other actors his age). I'm pretty sure he's baiting or teasing the press when he makes comments like this, though, rather than actually being full of himself ;) 

As for the American vs. the Korean versions of Good Doctor, I only watched the first episode of the American version, so I can't comment much on the actor's portrayal of the main character. However, given that the general public/netizen approach to depictions of autism are very different in both countries, I could understand where the differences might come from. Remember, @kireeti2, that one negative review I sent you that argued that Park Si On was an exaggerated - and thus offensive - depiction of autism? Yeah, I think the American portrayal would probably go down better here, as aegyo like Si On's just doesn't translate over very well: rather than coming off as cute or innocent (like in Korea), it ends up feeling like infantilization and that's the last thing anyone wants in a depiction of autism.

I really hope this full segment will be shared so international people can have access even if it's not translated. I agree with @kireeti2 in this regards that KBS will not provide translation. Before all the things usually got translated by KBS World but now things have changed. But I at least expect them to release full clip of the show. KBS usually are more international friendly in this regard. I really found it unusual they they didn't uploadt it full on YouTube.

Maybe they still need to be slow because of copyright concerns? Like, maybe the full version is available for streaming on some more official website (or might still be re-broadcast on TV), so they're holding off on releasing it on YouTube until later.

I dunno; it's just a guess.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, kittyna said:

that one negative review I sent you

That review was not negative, it was culturally biased. It is more like it did not adhere to some sort of standard autistic behavior. Like, the reviewer sort already assumed that autistic people act in certain way and standardized it, like some product standard. But failed to understand that not all the autistic people behave in uniform way. I still it the reviewer was just upset because the Joo won's depiction as an autistic person did not fit the reviewers so called standard.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

as aegyo like Si On's just doesn't translate over very well: rather than coming off as cute or innocent (like in Korea), it ends up feeling like infantilization and that's the last thing anyone wants in a depiction of autism.

Even in American version they have shown the protagonist like some kind of child in the beginning episodes, but he grew with each episode and learned how to adapt with his workplace. Just like in Korean version, we can see that Park Si on is not in-charge of the new resident and acts in a mature way rather than like a child like he use do in the initial episodes. And speaking of cuteness, everything that touches K-drama turns into cute thing, that's just how the industry operates and like every country as their own popular culture, K-drama as this thing of over-cuteness in their art, so I don't see any fault in that

• Like 2

Since JW doesn't brag often, it's always worth noting what he focuses on when he does: like his "I'm more innocent" comment in 2010 (when he was asked how he was different from Kang Dong Won and TOP), or his "I'm going to keep acting until I die - let's see how many of us are left then" in 2015 (when asked his opinion on his popularity compared to other actors his age). I'm pretty sure he's baiting or teasing the press when he makes comments like this, though, rather than actually being full of himself ;) 

I actually like this amount of cheekiness in him in certain cases. Because sometimes he's too hard on himself. Like this one...He has all the right to brag. He as an young and rising actor gave Park Sion a depth that's really iconic. If there are works who are particularly attributed to Joo Won, they're Gaksital and Good Doctor. They still call him by those character in entertainment because he went through total transformation for these two roles. While Gaksital is a popular Manhwa, Good Doctor was a fresh story. People have played autistic person before but Joo Won still did his own research and made sure to give some personal touch to it. His acting has been critically acclaimed we all know that. So he is just not only The Original, he has actually become the Standard in KDrama world at least. As other remake are adopted from Korean one so of course their performance will be compared to Korean Actor. Some viewers who are more fond of US shows says the original actor over did it. But I'd rather tell them -why not you ask your actor to overdoing the over all posture and gesture as well so we see who's effort results better!

Of course US remake will have it's own personal touch influence by the customs and environment there. I'm not saying they can't say that Freddie is doing amazing but if they compare it with Joo Won or say US remake is better -that's where is my problem. Good Doctor wouldn't be a noticble drama to US if not it's not played in the level Joo Won did. I think before the remake decision Good Doctor received an international award. I will try to look for the news.

Because we seldom see Joo Won brag about himself this kind moment are precious to me. Rather than baiting or teasing the media or someone else I'd say it's his moment of conviction and strong confidence. I am sure we all have little moments like this where we know that we're better than other in something particular. I don't know about you guys but I do have moments like this. Like I may not be best at other things but I totally excel at this than other people around me. I may not say it aloud but in my mind I believe it anyway and sometimes when others acknowledge it I don't deny it. So I find these little moments very humane and endearing in JW. Because he doesn't always brag. But when he does, it showes he's highly attached to that particular thought.

Sometimes he affirms his strong belief infront of everyone so he could hold on to them.. like he's constantly saying it infront of everyone - "I'll try be a a person who smells human." Meaning he'll not be indulged in celebrity lifestyle or be treated as a star who is hard to reach. I think him always stating it is way of him giving himself a reminder that he has be grounded and be modest always so as not to steer away from this conviction.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

That review was not negative, it was culturally biased. It is more like it did not adhere to some sort of standard autistic behavior. Like, the reviewer sort already assumed that autistic people act in certain way and standardized it, like some product standard. But failed to understand that not all the autistic people behave in uniform way. I still it the reviewer was just upset because the Joo won's depiction as an autistic person did not fit the reviewers so called standard.

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

And speaking of cuteness, everything that touches K-drama turns into cute thing, that's just how the industry operates and like every country as their own popular culture, K-drama as this thing of over-cuteness in their art, so I don't see any fault in that

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

As other remake are adopted from Korean one so of course their performance will be compared to Korean Actor. Some viewers who are more fond of US shows says the original actor over did it. But I'd rather tell them -why not you ask your actor to overdoing the over all posture and gesture as well so we see who's effort results better!

Of course US remake will have it's own personal touch influence by the customs and environment there. I'm not saying they can't say that Freddie is doing amazing but if they compare it with Joo Won or say US remake is better -that's where is my problem. Good Doctor wouldn't be a noticble drama to US if not it's not played in the level Joo Won did. I think before the remake decision Good Doctor received an international award. I will try to look for the news.

I also think that the broader context matters here. There used to be a lot of really damaging stereotypes about anyone who was neurodivergent or who had some sort of neurological or developmental disorder - and one of them was, in fact, that people with autism were somehow more "innocent", "childlike" or "pure" than everybody else because of their tendency to take social interactions at face value. For example, if someone has difficulty recognizing sarcasm, figurative language, or tone of voice, that could be extended to mean they're some little angel that's incapable of lying. And whereas, in the original Korean context, those traits are seen as primarily positive traits (Park Si On becomes something of a moral compass for the hospital), it backfires when viewed through a North American lens where, historically, associations between autism and being "feeble minded" and notions of eugenics were actually a thing.

So, in search of a more "adult" portrayal of autism, the American adaptation delved more deeply into Shaun Murphy's love life when compared to the Korean original, to use an example (like, he actually ends up sleeping with his girlfriend, if I recall correctly - and, well, I can't visualize Park Si On getting that far with Cha Yoon Seo anytime soon!). And, in my opinion, the adaptation also scrapped the idea of setting the story in the pediatric ward for the same reason: in the Korean version, Si On's very deliberately placed in parallel with the patients.

I also want to point out that whoever was in charge of translating the Korean Good Doctor into English...really started off on the wrong foot. First of all, there was the whole "curing autism" fiasco (which was probably a mistranslation where "treating autism" was intended); but even more than that, there was Si On's actual character description of someone who's "mentally ten years old". My guess is that the translator meant he had the social skills of a ten-year-old, but...yeah, that's really cringe-y, no matter how you put it.

Of course, as @kireeti2 pointed out, the misunderstandings sort themselves out if one watches the Korean version with an understanding of, say, how aegyo plays into Korean culture. But if you saw that description and watched the drama without knowing that context...no wonder at least one person thought the drama was mocking autism rather than actually being sympathetic towards it.

Personally, I think that both JW and Freddie Highmore did amazing jobs with their respective takes on the character - but it's probably better to treat Park Si On and Shaun Murphy as two distinct entities rather than comparing them, since their contexts are so different ;) 

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Because we seldom see Joo Won brag about himself this kind moment are precious to me. Rather than baiting or teasing the media or someone else I'd say it's his moment of conviction and strong confidence. I am sure we all have little moments like this where we know that we're better than other in something particular. I don't know about you guys but I do have moments like this. Like I may not be best at other things but I totally excel at this than other people around me. I may not say it aloud but in my mind I believe it anyway and sometimes when others acknowledge it I don't deny it. So I find these little moments very humane and endearing in JW. Because he doesn't always brag. But when he does, it showes he's highly attached to that particular thought.

For me, what stands out is that all things considered, JW is still his own worst critic. He's always looking for ways he could improve his performance rather than just reaching a point where he thinks he's good. However, when it comes to being compared to others...I think JW's aware that he's a strong actor. He knows that his approach is distinctly his own, and he takes pride in that, but I like that he doesn't take it to the point of bashing anyone else's work. 

Well, with the one exception re: crying scenes, when he said once (without mentioning names) that some actors would ask for a retake if their nose runs :P 

• Like 2

Found two old videos I'm watching for the first time.

1st one is Ojakgyo team cheering on Joo Won first movie Special Investigation Unit. It's sad them two of them has left this earth. RIP.

https://movie.daum.net/person/video?id=134344&vclipId=32773

And next one is 'It's him' team cheering for CSAT examinees..

https://movie.daum.net/person/video?id=134344&vclipId=49565

Joo Won acted with Lee Yoo Young again in Firefighter. I find her to be pretty good actress. Interesting ly they've worked 2 times excluding the upcoming but none of them were romantic storyline. I don't know what kind of relationship they'll have this time..Firefighter is movie based on real event. Chances are relationship here will be pretty platonic and serious too.

After I got fond of K-Drama I seldom watch k-movie. These days I mostly watch movies that my favourite drama actor-actress are doing. Looking forward to for premiere of Firefighter for maimly 2 reasons other than the obvious- It has Joo Won in it. One is we are going to get lots Promotional activity in multiple channels and platforms. Another is because it'll be a serious one as it's based on real tragic event and he got to act with seasoned movie actors.

And oh- we'll get to see Joo Won in uniform again and this time in a bright one-

EYv0bDmUcAAVbAi.jpg

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqNYO4pLRYvDyBhbUhiJa

Edit:

Oh oh... Finally found the full video of 'Room of Memory.' A sweet fan uploaded it on her IG. 

https://www.instagram.com/p/CIb3rB8pG9d/

Can't thank her enough. :fullofhearts:

• Like 4

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Joo Won acted with Lee Yoo Young again in Firefighter.

I hope they release the movie on Netflix, so that we would get to see the promotional videos with English subs.

Interesting ly they've worked 3 times excluding

I only remember two; one was "Fatal intuition" and other was short film about alien hunting. What was the other one?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Interesting ly they've worked 3 times excluding

I only remember two; one was "Fatal intuition" and other was short film about alien hunting. What was the other one?

Edited my post. It was a typo. It's two :sweatingbullets:

Leaving some old pictures of cute JW.

EoeZ-kTUcAAzHKI?format=jpg&name=900x900

(Back in the time when we didn't have selfie camera)

EnVZjvBWMAIY7a_?format=jpg&name=small

Engu6bAVcAAwj52?format=jpg&name=small

• Like 2
  • LOL 1

(Okay...so somehow, my draft didn't save when I tried to switch from one page to another to reply to comments on both - and sometimes, Soompi will save a draft even after I've posted the real thing...what gives?)

11 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

1st one is Ojakgyo team cheering on Joo Won first movie Special Investigation Unit. It's sad them two of them has left this earth. RIP.

Thanks for sharing this! I haven't had a chance to watch it yet, but it is pretty surreal to realize that two of the main cast members have already passed away by now. I guess that's a testament to just how long ago Ojakgyo Brothers actually was: a lot can happen in nine years...

Firefighter is movie based on real event. Chances are relationship here will be pretty platonic and serious too.

Another is because it'll be a serious one as it's based on real tragic event and he got to act with seasoned movie actors.

I didn't know that Firefighter was based on a true story - would anyone happen to know which incident it refers to?

After I got fond of K-Drama I seldom watch k-movie. These days I mostly watch movies that my favourite drama actor-actress are doing.

Don't worry; I never actually got into watching Korean movies to start with. I have seen a few - and I do have a list of films to get through - but I somehow never get around to it. Maybe it's because most of the films I have seen lack the narrative depth that I've come to expect and love from the K-dramas - 2 hours just might not be enough for the stories I want to see being told :P 

And, in case anyone's wondering - no, I haven't watched Parasite. :P To be honest, I'm definitely happy for its Oscar win and I've heard great things about its social commentary - but I've also heard that it's graphically violent at times, and that scares me.

8 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

(Back in the time when we didn't have selfie camera)

Oh, man - that takes me back. Hey, at least JW has a flip phone that could do this. I still remember when people tried to take selfies with their actual cameras :P 

I have to say, though, that for someone who can't see the screen, JW's got a really good aim (based on what we can see of the phone's screen).

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Okay...so somehow, my draft didn't save when I tried to switch from one page to another to reply to comments on both - and sometimes, Soompi will save a draft even after I've posted the real thing...what gives?)

Frequently happens with me.. so I try to write in word file first if I have time. But I sometimes don't remember to that. Things get lost. But after I'm done with my post I sometimes see it being saved later. :sweatingbullets:

I didn't know that Firefighter was based on a true story - would anyone happen to know which incident it refers to?

I can't be 100% sure but this could be the actual event.

https://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/2003/01/05/socialAffairs/Six-Seoul-Firemen-Perish-When-Building-Collapses-/1885289.html

In mydramalist it says it's a 2001 hongje-dong fire event but I didn't find any on that year.

https://mydramalist.com/57419-firefighters

I have seen a few - and I do have a list of films to get through - but I somehow never get around to it. Maybe it's because most of the films I have seen lack the narrative depth that I've come to expect and love from the K-dramas - 2 hours just might not be enough for the stories I want to see being told :P 

And, in case anyone's wondering - no, I haven't watched Parasite. :P To be honest, I'm definitely happy for its Oscar win and I've heard great things about its social commentary - but I've also heard that it's graphically violent at times, and that scares me.

That happens sometimes with me too.. I just feel sometimes with kmovies that the story is missing something or may be the presentation and organization is missing something. But of course there k movies that I loved too..Many of the melodramatic movies are my favourite. Also I'm more of a drama person. I just love how KDramas has enough episode so I can enjoy it but not long enough that it needs season. Because don't feel like committing my self to season based shows. Part 1/Part 2 is tolerable but Season style is not my type.

I didn't watch Parasite. I didn't watch Train to Busan. They say even those who never watch Korean things before have watched these two..I didn't watch Joo Won's 'Don't click'. I don't really enjoy horror. But sometimes I feel like watching it. He looks so cute there.

Oh, man - that takes me back. Hey, at least JW has a flip phone that could do this. I still remember when people tried to take selfies with their actual cameras :P 

I have to say, though, that for someone who can't see the screen, JW's got a really good aim (based on what we can see of the phone's screen).

Chances are he's taking photos with fans phone for them. Joo Won does that with fans who are really close to him or he knows them for a long time. I saw a video of him doing that on Army Fest 2017.

• Like 4

I see. Well, I wonder which aspect of the incident (if it is this one) the movie will address: what happened in the initial fire, the aftermath, or both. If it's the first one, though...why do I have a feeling this may not end well for JW's character? :sad1:

By the way, I thought it was interesting just how detailed the article got into some of the deceased firefighters' stories and backgrounds. That's not the sort of thing that would get much focus where I live (at least not in the initial reporting - maybe in a second, follow-up report, though), so it was both really sad, but also really fascinating, to read.

Also I'm more of a drama person. I just love how KDramas has enough episode so I can enjoy it but not long enough that it needs season. Because don't feel like committing my self to season based shows. Part 1/Part 2 is tolerable but Season style is not my type.

I can't really do the seasons approach all that much - maybe it's because, if you watch in "real time", that means you're committing years to watching a particular show, and my real life busy-ness doesn't always allow for that. Nor could I, like so many others here in North America, binge watch a series in a shorter period of time either. However, the biggest weakness to a season-style drama (which is the norm here) is that the stories either end up stretching on endlessly; or, if a show is unfortunate enough to get cancelled after fewer seasons than the writers anticipated, they end up cutting off on some really awkward point.

lol - I guess I like my stories long and in-depth, but still ultimately finite :P 

I didn't watch Parasite. I didn't watch Train to Busan. They say even those who never watch Korean things before have watched these two..I didn't watch Joo Won's 'Don't click'. I don't really enjoy horror. But sometimes I feel like watching it. He looks so cute there.

I...didn't watch Train to Busan either. Just not a horror or zombie apocalypse fan :P However, it's worth noting that Shim Eun Kyung had a brief appearance there as Patient 0 (i.e. the first infected person) on the train, and I've heard good things about that particular performance.

(Speaking of apocalyptic stories, one drama that's been highly recommended to me but that I'm still too scared to watch is D-Day. First, it's because I was already terrified by the earthquake segment in Descendants of the Sun and didn't need that experience repeated again. But now, just as I thought I was ready for it, COVID-19 happened, and...nope. Nope. Not interested in watching a medical disaster drama when I could just see that by turning on the news.)

I've watched JW's more lighthearted films - Catch Me and Fashion King - and they were fun as just light entertainment. Campy and over-the-top, yes, but that was also kind of the point ;) 

That happens sometimes with me too.. I just feel sometimes with kmovies that the story is missing something or may be the presentation and organization is missing something. But of course there k movies that I loved too..Many of the melodramatic movies are my favourite.

As for something that's deeper...my personal favourite Korean movie that I've watched so far is The Throne. On the one hand, it's about Joseon-era court politics and whatnot, but on the other hand, it's a very human tragedy about a deteriorating father-son relationship. That micro perspective, combined with some really strong acting, is what pushed it to the top for me :) 

Chances are he's taking photos with fans phone for them. Joo Won does that with fans who are really close to him or he knows them for a long time. I saw a video of him doing that on Army Fest 2017.

Yeah, I've noticed that, too - and I think that's a really awesome memento to receive for the fans who do run into him :)

Finally, I just want to give a little nod to this cute moment from the "Room of Memory" interview - It's funny that it came almost right after JW said he wasn't worried or scared, almost like the show's writers went, "Okay, then - we'll give you something :naughty:" And by the way, am I the only one who got vague Alice in Wonderland vibes from this bit as well? You know, what with the old Victorian-style room, the teacup, the masked interviewer, etc.?

• Like 3

I see. Well, I wonder which aspect of the incident (if it is this one) the movie will address: what happened in the initial fire, the aftermath, or both. If it's the first one, though...why do I have a feeling this may not end well for JW's character? 

JW probably mentioned it briefly in SBS radio show that while doing this movie most of the actors got to learn more deeply about the tragic event. I already assumed JW is playing one of the firefighters who died. And if look at list of actor who's playing Firefighter that's exactly 6 like the story above. These guys can be the main 6 firefighter who died. It's such a tragedy the reason the six firefighters ended up staying in that place is because they were trying to save someone who's not there in the first place and later suspected to be the reason of the fire.

I overlooked the real character stories given in the news because I just briefly glanced on it. But I now you said it I went to read the whole news.

Joo won probably is playing this role and Lee Yoo Young probably the Fiance?

Park Joon-woo, 32, another of the victims, was scheduled to marry his fiancee in a week. Weeping, the fiancee, Chang Mi-kyung, showed reporters the cell phone message she had received from Mr. Park the night before the fire. It read: "I'll always care for you."

Just having a guess..

Speaking of apocalyptic stories, one drama that's been highly recommended to me but that I'm still too scared to watch is D-Day. First, it's because I was already terrified by the earthquake segment in Descendants of the Sun and didn't need that experience repeated again. But now, just as I thought I was ready for it, COVID-19 happened, and...nope. Nope. Not interested in watching a medical disaster drama when I could just see that by turning on the news.)

D-Day was quite different.. as far I remember I liked it. And I liked that it had a vibe of multiple character focus done in a good way. I liked DOTS too, those tragic moments were really hard to take but tragedy didn't last long as it was a Rom-Com Melo.. But sometimes I also avoid apocalyptic stories specially earthquake. I remember once I went watching an Avenger movie (most probably part 2) with my friends. It was my first time watching Avengers and last because I'm not that into Marvel or DC. So that movie showed something like earthquake. I remember I was just waiting for the show to end because all I could remember was the event of Nepal Earthquake that happened that year. And I was thinking Nepal is a country that's close to mine. What if it happens here! Oh...

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

Finally, I just want to give a little nod to this cute moment from the "Room of Memory" interview - It's funny that it came almost right after JW said he wasn't worried or scared, almost like the show's writers went, "Okay, then - we'll give you something :naughty:"

I like how he was adamant on not admitting that worries and teasing the interviewer but later he just ends up being sincere that he has lots of worries.. I love how interactive he is though he may've felt a bit lonely (as if talking by himself) as the interviewer was far form him. 

• Like 3

59 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

JW probably mentioned it briefly in SBS radio show that while doing this movie most of the actors got to learn more deeply about the tragic event. I already assumed JW is playing one of the firefighters who died. And if look at list of actor who's playing Firefighter that's exactly 6 like the story above. These guys can be the main 6 firefighter who died. It's such a tragedy the reason the six firefighters ended up staying in that place is because they were trying to save someone who's not there in the first place and later suspected to be the reason of the fire.

Considering that there's so much more to be told after the accident itself, I feel like this film may take a non-chronological approach (e.g. investigating the cause of the fire on the one hand while showing what happened in flashbacks on the other). But it's hard to say.

I overlooked the real character stories given in the news because I just briefly glanced on it. But I now you said it I went to read the whole news.

Joo won probably is playing this role and Lee Yoo Young probably the Fiance?

Park Joon-woo, 32, another of the victims, was scheduled to marry his fiancee in a week. Weeping, the fiancee, Chang Mi-kyung, showed reporters the cell phone message she had received from Mr. Park the night before the fire. It read: "I'll always care for you."

Just having a guess..

It's interesting that the production has kept the casting so secretive thus far. Like, the film's already finished shooting, and we still don't know which characters anybody's playing. 

However, I think your hypothesis makes sense - JW's definitely the maknae out of the six main male actors, and this firefighter is also the maknae out of the three whose stories were given in greater detail. Also, come to think of it, the whole "final text/call" thing is totally something JW would actually do. But dang it - I was hoping he'd get a heartwarming story about the good things firefighters do for people, and this is just sad :criesariver:

But sometimes I also avoid apocalyptic stories specially earthquake. I remember once I went watching an Avenger movie (most probably part 2) with my friends. It was my first time watching Avengers and last because I'm not that into Marvel or DC. So that movie showed something like earthquake. I remember I was just waiting for the show to end because all I could remember was the event of Nepal Earthquake that happened that year. And I was thinking Nepal is a country that's close to mine. What if it happens here! Oh...

For me, I think it's remembering footage from major building collapses like 9/11 (which many people where I live saw unfolding in real time). Like, there's something so horrifying about how hundreds - if not thousands - of lives could be lost just like that, and there's literally nothing they could do about it to escape because it all happens so quickly.

But for me, the concern with D-Day - in addition to the earthquake footage - is about all the issues that doctors and frontline medical workers have to face. Living so close to the United States, I saw and read so many news stories and social media posts about just how traumatizing COVID-19 has been for the frontline workers (the desperation to save lives coupled with the fact that resources are way too limited to do so), and I know that's a major theme in D-Day as well.

Looks like we've both been shaken by disasters that didn't directly affect us but that affected people close enough to us that it still felt like they did. ;) 

I like how he was adamant on not admitting that worries and teasing the interviewer but later he just ends up being sincere that he has lots of worries.. I love how interactive he is though he may've felt a bit lonely (as if talking by himself) as the interviewer was far form him. 

Another thing I liked is that some parts of the interview were just him reacting to the old footage - it's like the producers left it up to him what stories he wished to tell :) 

• Like 3

Okay, I anticipate that things will be quiet on the updates front for the next little bit - at least until the Blue Dragon Awards. However...I can't be the only one who always half-expects to log on to Soompi and find some sort of announcement about theatre closures/restrictions in Seoul, right? You know, what with the number of COVID-19 cases still going up in the Seoul area, further restrictions being placed on crowd sizes, etc. It'd be unfortunate if that happens and Ghost gets cut, but if it does, I can't be the only fan who hopes that JW would concede gracefully.

(Sorry; I know that's a pretty depressing note to start on, but it is what crosses my mind now whenever I see "South Korea" flashing across my TV screen in a news headline.)

That being said, though I am popping by today with a collection of miscellaneous goodies - some more directly related to JW than others :P 

Once again with the awesome fanart - I have to say, I've been consistently blown away by this artist's speed. Like, how many new pieces have I shared so far???

Should anyone get a chance to travel to Seoul, here's the real Chinese restaurant they used when filming Alice. Obviously, the name is different from the drama version, but if anyone wanted to check out a shooting location for themselves, here you go.

Finally, something that's not directly JW-related, but that still reminded me of him - or, more specifically, a character he played. Long story short, December of 2020 was slated to be a huge deal in the classical music world, since it marks the 250th anniversary of Beethoven's birth. COVID-19 obviously threw a monkey wrench into a lot of the planned tributes in Germany and Austria (concerts, museum exhibitions, etc.), but I did stumble across this interview/mini-recital hosted by the Haus der Musik in Vienna, and...well, this six-year-old kid just really gave off "mini Cha Yoo Jin" vibes for me. I'm not sure exactly what's reminding me of him here; but when I visualized mini-Yoo Jin giving interviews at that age (a thing I have for his backstory in Seolleim in Salzburg), he would have looked and sounded similar to this.

Before anyone asks: no, I don't understand the vast majority of the German, either. So, for instance, the interviewer (who's a professional violinist) asks him why he chose to play piano. It sounds like there may be a family connection here, because he mentions that his father's a "dirigent" (i.e. "conductor"), after which I hear something about "klavier spielen" (i.e. "plays the piano"). She also asks him about his approach to the piece he's chosen to perform - I can't make out what he answers, but just that it's in contrast to "traurig" (i.e. "sad") and "schnell" (i.e. "fast/quick").

So...something about being from a musical family, and something about not just playing fast for the sake of it...? Maybe - or maybe I might just be really bad at mishearing things for the handful of individual German words I do know :P Anyway, just thought I'd share the video because I thought it was cute, in a musically nerdy sort of way.

• Insightful 2

11 hours ago, kittyna said:

Okay, I anticipate that things will be quiet on the updates front for the next little bit - at least until the Blue Dragon Awards. However...I can't be the only one who always half-expects to log on to Soompi and find some sort of announcement about theatre closures/restrictions in Seoul, right? You know, what with the number of COVID-19 cases still going up in the Seoul area, further restrictions being placed on crowd sizes, etc. It'd be unfortunate if that happens and Ghost gets cut, but if it does, I can't be the only fan who hopes that JW would concede gracefully.

(Sorry; I know that's a pretty depressing note to start on, but it is what crosses my mind now whenever I see "South Korea" flashing across my TV screen in a news headline.)

I thought you guys already know.. Ghost Production actually cut some of its performance from 5th December till 19th December at least. So Ghost team are actually having a break from performance in order to maintain covid safety in time of increasing cases.

Also even if a decision is being it'd not just be Joowon's decision. It will probably be productions decision along with other community or govt. Authorities who are in control of making decisions and suggestions what and when to avoid. 

I hope Ghost team do not get disheartened rather take the chance to get some much needed rest.

Translation:

"Musical Ghost 12/5 (Sat) ~ 12/19 (Sat) Discontinuation Notice

In accordance with the Seoul City Corona 19 Prevention Stage Upgrade Policy, Musical < ghost > The performance will be suspended for 15 days.

※ Interrupted performance episode: 12/5 (Sat) ~ 12/19 (Sat)

※ Batch cancellation time: From 12/4 (Fri) onwards

※ Resumption of performances: Resumption from 12/20 (Sun) performance"

I'm glad to see Ghost production abiding by proper safety measures. Because so far we have seen multiple times seating capacity has been decreased due to Covid rules and now they cut the performance for long time in order to see the situation.

There's also some news that Blue Dragon award might be postponed and take place in upcoming January. But I think the news has not been confirmed yet.

12 hours ago, kittyna said:

Once again with the awesome fanart - I have to say, I've been consistently blown away by this artist's speed. Like, how many new pieces have I shared so far???

Wow.. that's some art! :wow2:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I thought you guys already know.. Ghost Production actually cut some of its performance from 5th December till 19th December at least. So Ghost team are actually having a break from performance in order to maintain covid safety in time of increasing cases.

No, I didn't know about this - I thought that what would happen to Ghost would be similar to what happened on Broadway, in my city, or in Europe, where theatres were simply ordered closed by government mandate as part of a larger sweeping lockdown. So I thought I'd only find out about this from checking up on general Hallyu news or even international/world news.

By the way, now that you mentioned it, I backtracked on my "joowon" tag search on Instagram and finally found the cluster of Instagram posts when this happened. lol - turns out I missed it because it was buried by everything surrounding JW's appearance on KBS by the time I checked :P 

Also even if a decision is being it'd not just be Joowon's decision. It will probably be productions decision along with other community or govt. Authorities who are in control of making decisions and suggestions what and when to avoid. 

I'm glad to see Ghost production abiding by proper safety measures. Because so far we have seen multiple times seating capacity has been decreased due to Covid rules and now they cut the performance for long time in order to see the situation.

I never thought that any decision would be initiated by JW or any of his fellow cast members. Rather, as you've pointed out, my hope has only been that when the suspension/closure/lockdown/whatever did come, JW would just accept it gracefully - because experience from here in North America has taught me that, no, not all celebrities actually would :unsure: But it seems like that's the general direction everyone with Ghost is going in, at least publicly :thumbsup:

(Of course, it'd only be natural for JW and co to be disappointed - but I'm glad that they're not letting that get in the way of the overall message about public health and safety.)

Because interestingly enough, knowing that performances have been suspended temporarily...is actually a relief for me. Somewhere in the back of my mind, I think I've always been worried that Ghost's cast and crew would insist on performing (or complain about government-mandated cancellations on social media) - and I think I've also been worried about what continuing to consume Hallyu-related content whilst a pandemic is going on says about my ethics as a fan (because the only way to consume is for more to be produced). But now the decision's been made, public health has won out as a priority, and I find myself feeling proud that my first reaction is to think that Ghost made the right choice.

• Like 3

So, I just found out about this now because it showed up in my YouTube recommendations, but there was a little mini-feature about Kim Tae Hee on the same KBS program JW appeared in:

It's just a coincidence, of course - but I thought it was a cute one :) 

I also want to announce that in addition to working slowly (but surely!) on the Seolleim in Salzburg finale, work has also started on my Christmas Special for this year. I won't reveal which drama it's for right away (need to have written enough for a good teaser first), but I do think you guys will consider it an appropriate choice for 2020. :) 

Just for the record, I've done Christmas Special fics twice in the past: one for Nae Il's Cantabile in 2017 and one for Yong Pal in 2019.

• Like 1