Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Joo won's movie first poster, I skeptical if it is joo won in the poster, since we cannot guess the height with the fire fighter gear. :)

13 hours ago, kittyna said:

However, I am honestly wondering: is it just me, or has #BlackoutTuesday been practically non-existent in Korea and the Hallyu fandom? Like, I've seen posts for it everywhere in all the other broad circles/topics I follow on Instagram (e.g. pages for cultural institutions, historical costume/period drama fans, Disney, classical musicians, etc.), coming from users based in North America (obviously), Europe and Australia. But not on anything related to Hallyu: not from artists, not from fan accounts, etc. Like, my usual look at the #joowon tag on Instagram looks...entirely ordinary? Why is that? Does anyone know?

I have seen few stars posting #Blackouttuesday, for instance star like Boa, but, what I have observed is most of the stars who have posted or participated in the campaign have some kind of relation with Holly wood or stars who have repatriated to South Korea. In Korean news media there is virtually no mention of this movement(probable due to diplomatic issues). I think a lot of section in Korea are sensitized on racial issue ,for that matter they have less exposure to such kind of incidence through media(I am no expert on South Korean behavior, it is just my observation):neutral: I was hoping Joo won would participate :confounded:

Here the evidence of my observation. Sample size is small, but it does kind of give me some conclusive evidence after searching through South Korean news feed. I guess SK is still busy in dealing with covid-19 situation and also there are no protests going in South Korea per se, only East Asian country to go on protest is Japan if we look at the protest map, so I guess information might not have been disseminated properly :neutral:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1W3fsF5-Mz3_KaBgVt2pU8BDY5GkawUN_&ll=13.239797417324194%2C-93.52065609999997&z=2

Repatriated to South Korea case

Actor from movie "Parasite", which had won Oscar last year

Actress from movie "Parasite", which had won Oscar last year

• Like 2

On 5/30/2020 at 8:48 AM, kireeti2 said:

Was Dalgona famous before lock down or quarantine ? Because I got to know about it during the pandemic:o

Interesting take. But I never saw Si-on as guy who indulges in beverages, since he has no affect of alcohol on him, I hardly think he will be drawn towards caffeine, since caffeine is also a type of addictive beverage like alcohol. I do agree he might give a it a try, if Cha yoon seon ask him to try ;)

Several months ago there was a video by Jung Il Woo and he made the beverage based on a drink he had on his hiking trip in Turkey. The video went viral and a lot of American celebrities started posting it with challenge to others to make it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, kittyna said:

If anyone thinks it's inappropriate for me to post my usual stuff on this forum today because of all the more important things happening in the wider world, please forgive me. But I still want to share something anyway, for those whose mental and emotional states have been strained and who want or need some more lighthearted fare.

In short: the 10th anniversary of JW's drama debut is coming soon, and already, the fan tributes have started to crop up online.

However, I am honestly wondering: is it just me, or has #BlackoutTuesday been practically non-existent in Korea and the Hallyu fandom? Like, I've seen posts for it everywhere in all the other broad circles/topics I follow on Instagram (e.g. pages for cultural institutions, historical costume/period drama fans, Disney, classical musicians, etc.), coming from users based in North America (obviously), Europe and Australia. But not on anything related to Hallyu: not from artists, not from fan accounts, etc. Like, my usual look at the #joowon tag on Instagram looks...entirely ordinary? Why is that? Does anyone know?

Also, I did get a good deal of writing done for the next Seolleim in Salzburg fic these past few days. It's not stuff that I can actually post an official preview because of spoilers, but just for the record: I did finally get to the proposal :wub: No surprise on the outcome (since, you know, Nae Il is Nae Il and she would've said "Yes" from Day One), but you'll have to wait for the finished fic to discover how exactly Cha Yoo Jin does it in my own imaginary universe. ;) 

I did not know about the #BlackoutTuesday event until the day was almost over and I live in a town that had protest and riots.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

I have seen few stars posting #Blackouttuesday, for instance star like Boa, but, what I have observed is most of the stars who have posted or participated in the campaign have some kind of relation with Holly wood or stars who have repatriated to South Korea. In Korean news media there is virtually no mention of this movement(probable due to diplomatic issues). I think a lot of section in Korea are sensitized on racial issue ,for that matter they have less exposure to such kind of incidence through media(I am no expert on South Korean behavior, it is just my observation):neutral: I was hoping Joo won would participate :confounded:

I think that, more so than JW, I was expecting to see references from fan accounts - since the K-drama fandom is an international community. Of course, I'm only going by what shows up under that #joowon tag search, so it's a really small sample that is most likely not representative at all.

Here the evidence of my observation. Sample size is small, but it does kind of give me some conclusive evidence after searching through South Korean news feed. I guess SK is still busy in dealing with covid-19 situation and also there are no protests going in South Korea per se, only East Asian country to go on protest is Japan if we look at the protest map, so I guess information might not have been disseminated properly :neutral:

I'm not entirely sure what factors are involved, but my guess is that Korea being relatively ethnically homogeneous (especially compared to the countries where demonstrations and messages of support have been more prevalent) does mean that what's happening in the US is a bit further off the radar. It's not so much that they don't know (or at least I think not, since the protests across the States are covered by Hong Kong's news media, for instance), but that it's something "out there", foreign, or just surreal (i.e. those news reports are probably still sinking in at the "Wait, what happened where to whom? Like, seriously - this is for real???" sort of level).

This is not to say that Korean society as a general whole is innocent: racial prejudices do exist and have permeated a number of common everyday practices and beliefs (e.g. differences in how visitors or expats of different ethnic backgrounds are treated; negative comments about skin tone - which, yes, I'm aware are actually socio-economic in origin, but still disproportionately affect black and brown people in Korea and their descendants). But the whole concept of violent anti-black racism on a systemic or institutionalized level...that's arguably new for a lot of folks, and it's a lot to take in all at once.

Not only that, but generally speaking, from my experience, people tend to be far more consciously aware of how they are disadvantaged as opposed to how they are privileged. No specific criticism here: it's simply part of human nature. 

So I'm not surprised that it's repatriated Korean artists or those who also do a lot of overseas work (like BoA, who's done collabs in the States) who are more consciously aware of what's going on and choosing to speak out right now. That extends to the cast and crew of Parasite, because the Best Picture win at the Oscars would have thrown the Eurocentrism  of mainstream Hollywood into stark relief. 

Joo won's movie first poster, I skeptical if it is joo won in the poster, since we cannot guess the height with the fire fighter gear. :)

It...might be him, just going by the build, general body proportions, etc. But it's hard for me to say, since I can't say I know the other cast members' builds all that well :P 

EDIT

I see that while I was writing up this post, we've gotten a new face. Welcome, @Nella2019!

0fec3af4a175c08d6e7b7791c11a4cf9.jpg

So, since you are new to Soompi forums, I just want to give you a quick word of tech-related advice that other fans gave me when I first joined: the general rule is to wait at least one hour between posts. If you want to quote/respond to multiple posts, my suggestion is that you put them all into a single comment before posting :) 

• Like 2

Not directly JW-related, but given my earlier question about the Hallyu fandom and recent develops relating to Black Lives Matter...I guess this is one way of doing it :P 

K-Pop Fans Are Flooding The "White Lives Matter" And "Whiteout Wednesday" Hashtags To Drown Out All The Racist Tweets

Why am I not surprised that there would be some sort of counter-protest after #BlackoutTuesday the other day? And for the K-pop fandoms to respond like this.

(Just to clarify, again in light of this being an international fandom: there is nothing wrong with being white. A person's race is a result of their genes; it simply is what it is. But this was in response to a white supremacist hashtag, and that's a whole other ball game.)

And for something that actually is JW-related - why the heck is Fatal Intuition (literal Korean title: It's Him) translated as Gnome here??? :lol: Like, I understand it's just some weird computerized translation based solely on how the Korean title is pronounced, but still!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

So, since you are new to Soompi forums, I just want to give you a quick word of tech-related advice that other fans gave me when I first joined: the general rule is to wait at least one hour between posts. If you want to quote/respond to multiple posts, my suggestion is that you put them all into a single comment before posting :) 

Welcome to the Class 101 of Soompi forum by @kittyna, @Nella2019:). Jokes apart, Welcome to the group @Nella2019

And yeah a quick advice from me which @kittyna gave me when I was a newbie ,"By the way, just a quick tech-related tip: you can just select the text you want to quote instead of quoting an entire post. I'm not 100% sure how that works on a phone, but on a computer, just highlight the text you're quoting with your mouse, hover around until you see a button that says "Quote selection", and click that. When you quote that way, it's easier for everyone to see what part of someone else's post you're referring to." It will make your replies convenient to type and read.:):)

9 hours ago, kittyna said:

relatively ethnically homogeneous

I wanted to use this reason for the non-existence of protest in Korea, but Korea is not as homogeneous as we think it is, at least not in terms of culture and religion. And they do have contacts from other ethnic groups from time to time. Like you can see they came into contact with Turks during Korean war and few of the population did accepted a religion which is completely alien to them, right now South Korea is encouraging immigration as they population is aging and they are need for more working population which shows that the society is capable of living in harmony with different ethnic groups(Like they are lot of people emigrating into South Korean not only from South East Asia , but also from Eastern European countries, Central Asia and Russia). And the protest in Japan was also due to the police brutality on a Kurdish refugee, so yeah they had to protest against the system for being, and also there is no systematic racism in South Korean administration or in policy making, and the protest around the world happened in the countries where there use to exist racism or still exist, in countries like UK, France, Germany etc. In Canada also I have read that indigenous people had or still kind of facing marginalization and systematic racism in some parts of provinces. So the protest are happening in the countries where they are actually sensitized towards racism and know how a systematic racist can harm a section of their society:mellow:

9 hours ago, kittyna said:

This is not to say that Korean society as a general whole is innocent: racial prejudices do exist and have permeated a number of common everyday practices and beliefs (e.g. differences in how visitors or expats of different ethnic backgrounds are treated; negative comments about skin tone - which, yes, I'm aware are actually socio-economic in origin, but still disproportionately affect black and brown people in Korea and their descendants

No country is immune from hatred and racism, as time progresses South Korea will become more accepting and accommodating towards other ethnic backgrounds. I think it is kind of unfair to single out SK, even there are absent of protests in South Africa(which is notoriously known to had more systematic racist government than any other government), it was absent  in South East Asia also which known to champion of diversity, or even  in my country it was absent(because of lock down), but still, few celebrities tweeted in support which was ironic, since most of them endorse fairness products, smh:unamused:. So the thing is absent of protest is not synonymous to not showing solidarity, but they need more time to sensitize. And being on online protest not necessarily means showing solidarity, few might be using it to expand they followers base, like social influencers. And this absence of protest is also partly due to search engine SK uses, that is Naver which is used by 92% of SKs, especially under 35 years old age group, so guess it was not a trending topic in that search engine.

On a happy note hears a celebrity(rapper) who is not only participating in campaign but also encouraging his fans today what they can by sharing the link:grin:

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kittyna said:

Not directly JW-related, but given my earlier question about the Hallyu fandom and recent develops relating to Black Lives Matter...I guess this is one way of doing it :P 

K-Pop Fans Are Flooding The "White Lives Matter" And "Whiteout Wednesday" Hashtags To Drown Out All The Racist Tweets

Why am I not surprised that there would be some sort of counter-protest after #BlackoutTuesday the other day? And for the K-pop fandoms to respond like this.

In my defense, I did not see this post before replying to your previous post. WTF!? White live do matter that's why police never arrest anyone carrying an AR15 refile with them or legalized weed business without any reparations  to Hispanics/Blacks who were primary victims of criminalizing of weed :unamused:, I think South Korean news channel should also be held accountable for not sensitizing their citizens about systematic racism :anguished:

• Like 2

Here's the actress from "SKY CASTLE" drama posting about #Blackouttuesday:D

Here is  a child actress, in her teens posting. I think this campaign is rather popular among young people, mostly in age group of below 35 years, given the aging population of south Korea, I guess it did not resonate with the mass in South Korea and on top of that some progressive celebrities have also shied away from the online protest, maybe they did their part by signing up the petition or made a donation towards in support of the protest:confused:

• Like 2

I do want to point out that my intention has never been to pick on South Korea in particular - the only reason why I'm focusing on it here is because this is ultimately a Hallyu fan forum site, and I want to keep our discussions as relevant as possible.

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I wanted to use this reason for the non-existence of protest in Korea, but Korea is not as homogeneous as we think it is, at least not in terms of culture and religion. And they do have contacts from other ethnic groups from time to time. Like you can see they came into contact with Turks during Korean war and few of the population did accepted a religion which is completely alien to them, right now South Korea is encouraging immigration as they population is aging and they are need for more working population which shows that the society is capable of living in harmony with different ethnic groups(Like they are lot of people emigrating into South Korean not only from South East Asia , but also from Eastern European countries, Central Asia and Russia).

I am well aware that Korea is not actually ethnically homogeneous - I said "relatively" because I was thinking of it in contrast to Canada (where I live) or the US, the UK, etc. For instance, there was a controversy surrounding admitting Middle Eastern refugees to Jeju-do; and in addition to visible minorities of all sorts (for the case of Korea, that would be people of European, Afro-Caribbean, Middle Eastern, South Asian descent, etc.) there are also the invisible ethnic minorities (i.e. other East Asians). But the proportion of the population that identifies as simply "Korean" is still in the vast majority.

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I think it is kind of unfair to single out SK, even there are absent of protests in South Africa(which is notoriously known to had more systematic racist government than any other government), it was absent  in South East Asia also which known to champion of diversity, or even  in my country it was absent(because of lock down), but still, few celebrities tweeted in support which was ironic, since most of them endorse fairness products, smh:unamused:. So the thing is absent of protest is not synonymous to not showing solidarity, but they need more time to sensitize.

I know that actually going out to protest isn't possible for everyone - and, if I'm completely honest, I don't entirely agree with it even in places where they have been happening peacefully. My concern here is that a protest, even when it's peaceful, can lead to a spike in COVID-19 transmission due to large crowds of people being in close proximity chanting slogans, giving speeches, etc. And since we know that in multiracial countries like the US, COVID-19 has disporportionately affected Blacks, Indigenous peoples, and other people of colour due to less access to proper healthcare, the fact that many essential workers are racialized minorities, etc., my fear is that going out to protest for the lives of a marginalized community will end up endangering that same marginalized community in a different way.

What I was hoping to see from Korea, though, was the netizens - because everyone talks about how powerful that particular force is in enacting social and cultural change, I thought there would be more of a social media protest. Like, say, taking part in #BlackoutTuesday or what I stumbled across yesterday with the international K-pop fandom. Seeing that some celebrities and other public figures did take part and, as you pointed out @kireeti2, are now encouraging the public to sign petitions at least tells me that news of this has at least spread to South Korea. I'm not asking that Koreans speak up to what's happening in North America - that's not realistic when they have their own pressing issues to deal with - but I do hope that awareness of what's happening to racialized people internationally will prompt Korean society as a whole to reflect on their own implicit racial/ethnic biases in hopes that they could treat the immigrants and minorities in their midst with greater respect. Not that the respect isn't already there for a lot of people, but we can always do better :) 

So, once again, I do want to give a kudos to Yong Pal for at least touching on the challenges facing undocumented migrants living in Korea - I'm sure that was an eye-opener for many viewers, both in Korea itself and overseas. :heart: 

As for me as a JW fan personally, I try to incorporate issues surrounding racial/ethnic identity, racism, Islamophobia, etc. in my Seolleim in Salzburg series - my hope is to show some of the things faced by East Asians in Europe and North America (e.g. always being assumed to be a foreigner, always being assumed to be Chinese, "Yellow Fever" - i.e. showing sexual or romantic interest in Asians simply because they're Asian and you think that's hot, which I chose to highlight in light of Hallyu in particular - , etc.) but also show the reality that East Asians are also incredibly privileged as far as racialized peoples go (e.g. in contrast with Middle Eastern or South Asian people in Europe due to Islamophobia).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

So, once again, I do want to give a kudos to Yong Pal for at least touching on the challenges facing undocumented migrants living in Korea - I'm sure that was an eye-opener for many viewers, both in Korea itself and overseas. :heart: 

Oh - and also Ojakgyo Brothers, which also addressed prejudices people held towards dark-skinned Asians in Korea. I know that the casting decision for Guk Su leaves much to be desired (since they opted for a Korean child actor wearing dark makeup rather than an actor of Southeast Asian descent), but given that this was almost ten years ago, I hope things have been improving since :) 

If nothing else, Yong Pal's production team did a better job with diverse casting: while I couldn't find specific information for the entire migrant family we see in the drama, Ali (the young son who befriends Tae Hyun and Yeo Jin) is actually played by Isaiah Park (real name: Terrance Isaiah Ferguson) who is of mixed Black and Korean descent. It's never stated in the drama where exactly the family's from. So it's not perfect representation (but then again, even Asian American actors in Hollywood rarely end up matching exactly with their characters' ethnicity), but it's still an improvement.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

I do want to point out that my intention has never been to pick on South Korea in particular

I didn't realize that I was defending South Korea, must be cultural influence of K-drama:confused:. The soft power strategies used by the countries often camouflage negative things of a country and that's what makes people thing that country is perfect and without any flaws.

I said "relatively"

My apologies, I missed that "relatively":open_mouth:, I should have read the reply more carefully. And started talking about East Asia's diversity to an East Asian:no_mouth:, again I am terrible sorry

Everything to you said can be summed up in this video of "Patriot Act" episode

For instance, there was a controversy surrounding admitting Middle Eastern refugees to Jeju-do

I think that reaction was expected in Jeju Island, because the refugees took the "no visa" policy to route to get into the island which is known to hold different political and cultural ideology from mainland south Korea. This is what I have observed in East Asia, there homogeneity is viewed as their strength, it is a fact up to some extent, but this homogeneity has often led to conformity in the society, like accepting everything as it is in social and cultural sphere. As a result it led to high suicide rates, increase in cases of depression, in japan this depression has led to phenomenon of "HIKIKOMORI", where the he/she withdraws from the society due to too much conformity, and as per Korea suicide rate is one of highest in OECD nations group. Therefore, I think in my humble opinion East Asian countries need to have some kind social and cultural revolution before they can look outwards, first they need to accept themselves before accepting refugees.

always being assumed to be Chinese

I am kind of guilty of doing such thing in the past, assuming every East Asian person to be Chinese origin:cold_sweat:, but I am glad I have changed.

Yellow Fever

Coming to such kind of slur, which is often used by westerners against East Asians, I think it is mostly because of lack of education, they don't know yellow sea is not just a sea, but it name came from "Yellow river civilization", which is one of the oldest and advance civilization to ever exist. But ignorance of a person often deprives him/her to see things in more meaningful way.

showing sexual or romantic interest in Asians simply because they're Asian and you think that's hot

I think it has partly do with the K-pop culture, where Female Idols(both in Japan and Korea, but in Japan it is more explicit in nature) are often show in light of sexual appeal implicitly, with the costumes, in others words like Eye candy. I often find the videos to in way de-humanizing about the girls who are performing in the music videos. But still, I might have a narrow understanding about it the topic.  I would like to hear it from you, as woman how do you perceive this Idol culture of girls groups?:mellow:

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, kittyna said:

but given that this was almost ten years ago, I hope things have been improving since :) 

Indeed, things did improved, in Itaewon class they had actually tackled racism prevalent in South Korea and also about plight of transgenders :)

So, once again, I do want to give a kudos to Yong Pal for at least touching on the challenges facing undocumented migrants living in Korea - I'm sure that was an eye-opener for many viewers, both in Korea itself and overseas. 

I think Yong-pal owes its high ratings for dealing such kind of diverse issues, raging from abuse of power by rich in South Korea to the plight of immigrants in the country:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

My apologies, I missed that "relatively":open_mouth:, I should have read the reply more carefully. And started talking about East Asia's diversity to an East Asian:no_mouth:, again I am terrible sorry

No worries - I'm just one Chinese Canadian out of many, so even I can't speak for a large group or claim to be an expert on how things actually are in East Asia right now.

Everything to you said can be summed up in this video of "Patriot Act" episode

Oh, yeah - I stumbled across this video this morning, and thought it would be interesting to watch as an Asian American perspective on what's happening (since regardless of if we're South Asian, East Asian, Middle Eastern, Southeast Asian, etc. the point is that we're neither White nor Black - so where do we fit into all this?). But I will admit that since it's my first time watching Patriot Act, I wound up scrambling to turn down the volume once the swearing started :P Not the sort of thing I want blasting from my computer speakers first thing in the morning :lol:

But that being said, he brings up a really good point - which ties into what I'd said earlier about people generally being more aware of their disadvantage than their privilege. Because Asians occupy this weird middle ground in historical race-based hierarchies, there's a tendency to just focus on how much further we have to go to achieve equality with Whites without really thinking about the other end of the spectrum. My own parents raised me to know and act better, but I can definitely relate to his comments about racial slurs in Asian languages (Hong Kong Cantonese has a ton - aimed at Blacks, Whites, South Asians...heck, even mainland Chinese!), the whole "marrying someone from another race is fine so long as they're not Black", etc. just from hearing similar comments and sentiments from my own community. Like him, when I hear those things, I just cringe. :expressionless:

13 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

In Canada also I have read that indigenous people had or still kind of facing marginalization and systematic racism in some parts of provinces. So the protest are happening in the countries where they are actually sensitized towards racism and know how a systematic racist can harm a section of their society:mellow:

I didn't get around to responding to this earlier, but you're right: any Canadians who want to argue that we have a (slightly) better track record re: anti-black racism (but just slightly, mind you) need to think very, very hard about how Indigenous peoples have been treated over the years. In recent years, the government has started taking steps to further investigate the problems that continue to persist (e.g. lack of access to clean water or good health care, the increased prevalence in violent crimes against Indigenous women, severe mental health problems like depression or alcoholism as a result of centuries worth of trauma, etc.), but again, there's always room for more growth and improvement.

I can't say I'm an expert in any of this, but thanks for pointing it out. Everyone should look towards their own personal racial/ethnic biases right now, because I believe that only by everyone reflecting and repenting as individuals can be build a better system.

Coming to such kind of slur, which is often used by westerners against East Asians, I think it is mostly because of lack of education, they don't know yellow sea is not just a sea, but it name came from "Yellow river civilization", which is one of the oldest and advance civilization to ever exist. But ignorance of a person often deprives him/her to see things in more meaningful way.

I think it has partly do with the K-pop culture, where Female Idols(both in Japan and Korea, but in Japan it is more explicit in nature) are often show in light of sexual appeal implicitly, with the costumes, in others words like Eye candy. I often find the videos to in way de-humanizing about the girls who are performing in the music videos. But still, I might have a narrow understanding about it the topic.  I would like to hear it from you, as woman how do you perceive this Idol culture of girls groups?:mellow:

I do express my views on "Yellow Fever" in the Author's Notes of this Seolleim in Salzburg fic, but I should point out that my rant from that fic was aimed more at the "sexy Oppa" trope (i.e. how fangirls perceive and treat male Korean celebrities) than at my own experiences as a woman. The reason is quite simple: because I am a heterosexual woman, and can thus only ever be responsible for how I view the men in my life.

Sexual objectification is just wrong, in my book - I don't care which way it goes (man-to-woman, woman-to-man, man-to-man, woman-to-woman, etc.). So I always want to be conscious about how I look at and think about Korean guys like JW: I want to be drawn to them as people, with personalities and strengths and weaknesses, and not just as pretty faces.

As for myself being a Chinese Canadian girl...in the place where I live, we're a dime a dozen. :P There's nothing particularly exotically alluring about that here. However, if you want some quick, lighthearted takes on why something like "Yellow Fever", weeaboo or koreaboo culture can be inadvertently offensive, I recommend these sketch comedy videos (in "Hidden Contents" for not being directly JW-related). They're deliberately over-the-top and satirical, but if you read between the lines, you'll see what I mean by that term "Yellow Fever", and why I think we as K-drama fans need to be very conscious about our own thoughts and actions.

(Note: there is some profanity in the first video, so don't watch it unless you're okay with that.)

Spoiler

If you did click on the link back to the Seolleim in Salzburg fic I mentioned, you'll recognize some of the dynamics from that in this second video (just that, for the sake of it being in Salzburg, I changed the "Your English is great" to "Your German is great".)

Long story short: being interested in East Asian cultures is fine (why else are we here, on a K-drama fan forum?), but please don't use it as a cheesy pick-up line. It gets old :P 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I wound up scrambling to turn down the volume once the swearing started :P Not the sort of thing I want blasting from my computer speakers first thing in the morning 

Lol! I can only imagine how awkward and funny it was. :joy:

57 minutes ago, kittyna said:

If you did click on the link back to the Seolleim in Salzburg fic I mentioned, you'll recognize some of the dynamics from that in this second video (just that, for the sake of it being in Salzburg, I changed the "Your English is great" to "Your German is great".)

Yeah, yeah now I remember watching second video, it is the point you were making, that they presume that you are an immigrant, even though you were born and bought up in same country, this happens to every immigrant, but I think instances of such incident with East Asians is more

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Yellow Fever

So that's what Yellow fever means:no_mouth::open_mouth::neutral:, another cultural shock to my list. I know people are obsessed with "ANIME" and "Kawaii" culture, but this is by far weirdest way of choosing partners.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

JW: I want to be drawn to them as people, with personalities and strengths and weaknesses, and not just as pretty faces.

I second that, I will always preform to look at a persons personality and his/her conduct before associating with him/her, whether in choosing partner or being a fan of an actor. And Joo won did fit the profile, I must say I never had a favorite till last year and I watched "GOOD DOCTOR" of joo won's out of curiosity, like how the show ends, but boy!! I did stumbled up on a master piece of acting of Joo won. I have to say his acting made me sympathize with others, like act only after knowing everything about the other person, what he has been through? Has he been hurt emotionally? stuff like that and the chemistry between him and Moon chae-won made me look for exactly what they had in their relationship: Strong bond, understanding, care for each other and most importantly unconditional love(this love came after they both got sensitized with each other):blush:, not like falling for looks, rather than personal traits, not like any other typical K-drama. :smile:

• Like 2

On 3/26/2018 at 10:01 PM, moonstrike said:

He is that kind of person. Pure and has an angel gold heart. :bawling: click to see comments

While I was scrolling to previous posts in the forum I stumbled on this post.

Wait? I thought they broke was kind of mutual and they unfollowed each other in the instagram at the same time? :bawling: I am referring to this one. It almost feels like Boa was to one to initiate the break-up(I know there is nothing wrong in it everyone deserves to be in a relationship that he/she is happy), but sometimes the person on the receiving end kind of feels like he/she had done something wrong to cause the break-up :bawling: in this case it is our joo won

It must be hard for both of them, but as fan of Joo won and a person who knew about his past relationship, at least the ones in public forum, I think our Joo won must had taken it harder. Since, it is his first relation after debut and he always  in interviews  that he prefers long term relationship, kind of relationship which might go beyond dating. :mellow:But I am still rooting for both of them , I hope Boa continues to shine in K-pop world, leading the next generation Idols and out continues to succeed in his acting and be an example to his junior on how to be a good actor. :D And get the partners they deserve

PS: I know this topic is old and I am kind of late by 3 years, since I am sort of recent fan of Joo won, like I have been fan of joo won for only like less than 6 months and I have lot of catch up to do on topics and react to it accordingly, therefore, I ask  for you guys to be understanding  :sweat_smile:

• Like 2

On a happy note, Joo won's fans from Korea, Japan and International sent wishes and gifts to Joo won on his 10th anniversary debut. Even in the time of pandemics fans does not cease to amuse me with their unconditional love to Joo wonie :):smiley:

• Like 2

Another silver lining for this year for me. Joo won's junior in musical acting Kang Ha-neul won 56 Baeksang's best actor award:smiley: And my recent favorite actress Kim Hee-ae have  won Best actress award for "The World of  the Married":heart:. I can't wait for joo won to win  57 Baeksang's best actor award for next year, maybe I am being too optimistic :sweat_smile:

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Yeah, yeah now I remember watching second video, it is the point you were making, that they presume that you are an immigrant, even though you were born and bought up in same country, this happens to every immigrant, but I think instances of such incident with East Asians is more

I don't know, actually - since I live in Toronto (i.e. a very ethnically diverse city in Canada), it's not unusual to be curious about, well, anyone's racial/ethnic origins, and we do get asked this a lot as an icebreaker. But, in my own personal opinion, I think that you need to distinguish between a person's ethnicity and a person's own story when asking that sort of question. So I might, instead, ask, "What's your ethnic background?" or "Where's your family from?" if that's actually what I want to find out about a person. Just asking "Where are you from?" without any sort of qualifier or specification as to what you mean can get confusing and, as pointed out in the video, inadvertently offensive.

I do have to say, though, that it's been a long time since I last watched that video - and watching it now, the woman's over-the-top representation of British culture does actually sort of look like the humour you get in K-dramas. Or maybe it's just me :P 

I know people are obsessed with "ANIME" and "Kawaii" culture, but this is by far weirdest way of choosing partners.

Not everyone who is into Anime or Kawaii culture is that extreme - a lot of people love it for a whole ton of different reasons, most of which would be legit. But where things get weird is when, say, people go the point of wanting to act as though they are Japanese or Korean (in the case of Hallyu) or when they just end up obsessed and try to divert every single discussion into something relating to their fandom. I'm sure you've seen comments on YouTube videos about, say, a certain recipe, and then someone comes along and says, "OMG - that's [insert K-pop idol's name] favourite!" or "Who's here because of [insert K-pop idol's name]?" or even (just using this because it's the only fandom name I know), "Who's ARMY?". I don't think there's any bad intentions behind it - it's just fans getting super hyped-up about their biases - but it does get confusing from an outsider's point of view.

As for choosing a romantic or sexual partner that way - again, there's nothing wrong with having a preference for Asians in and of itself. The problem is when you give off the vibe that that's all you like about the person you're dating or if you're placing unrealistic expectations of "cultural authenticity" on that person. Like when the Chinese girl in the first video I posted says about her boyfriend, "He's more Chinese than me" - but is he really? Or is he just more stereotypically Chinese and expecting that she'd like that?

I have to say his acting made me sympathize with others, like act only after knowing everything about the other person, what he has been through? Has he been hurt emotionally? stuff like that

It's funny, because you see JW's acting and his characters and you think that's how it was - and then you start finding out more about his story and realize he's pretty much the most ordinary guy ever :P Middle-class; stable and loving family life; just spent his childhood going to school, extracurriculars, then back home, likes sports and music; never really rebelled as a teenager.... lol - He's this big drama actor but there's almost no real drama in his own life :D 

Wait? I thought they broke was kind of mutual and they unfollowed each other in the instagram at the same time? :bawling: I am referring to this one. It almost feels like Boa was to one to initiate the break-up(I know there is nothing wrong in it everyone deserves to be in a relationship that he/she is happy), but sometimes the person on the receiving end kind of feels like he/she had done something wrong to cause the break-up :bawling: in this case it is our joo won

Other than it looking like they parted on good terms (i.e. a clean "let's just be friends" sort of breakup than an ugly drama-filled one), I don't know anything else on the matter.

On a happy note, Joo won's fans from Korea, Japan and International sent wishes and gifts to Joo won on his 10th anniversary debut. Even in the time of pandemics fans does not cease to amuse me with their unconditional love to Joo wonie :):smiley:

Yeah - sending gifts is the best way to show love right now, since going in person isn't possible (nor do I think it's what JW would want, given his calls to fans to observe physical distancing guidelines).

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, kittyna said:

He's more Chinese than me

This dialogue hilarious:lol:. And I think you are right, preference is not bad, but only dating for the sake of that preference will not make a stable relationship. For instance, if he/she(I am presuming yellow fever is a gender neutral term) falls for only ethnicity/race and the personality and habits doesn't play a role in relationship, chances are there that the partner may eventually break-up if he/she finds another person with the preference they might fit regardless of personality and habits.:D

lol - He's this big drama actor but there's almost no real drama in his own life :D

:lol::joy: The only drama he had was going home late after playing with his friends and get knocked-out with just one glass of beer and Choose the course of his preference, like in "Healing camp" show he said that, his parent were sort of against him to pursue  "Arts", but he did managed it. And other rebellious thing was that , he was actually qualified to for police promotion in military(I don't know the exact details) ,but he choose to enlist in mandatory service, which kind of brought him bitter-sweet results, his break-up and he get to make some good friends and memories in the army :smile:

https://www.soompi.com/article/833453wpp/joo-won-passes-exam-for-police-promotional-unit-ahead-of-his-military-enlistment

Who's ARMY?". I don't think there's any bad intentions behind it - it's just fans getting super hyped-up about their biases - but it does get confusing from an outsider's point of view.

This "Army" and "Bias" thing is really getting out of control. It is good as long as you get to love your favorite Idol more than others could do, but when you start hating some other Idol for the sake of Bias and Army thing, that's a real issue. It kind of became like an ideology/ism like Nationalism and Patriotism, both are inherently good in nature but excess will lead to conflicts. There is even a course in south Korean universities where they are studying phenomenon of K-wave and its consequence. People should tread carefully while avoiding escalations :smile:

Other than it looking like they parted on good terms (i.e. a clean "let's just be friends" sort of breakup than an ugly drama-filled one), I don't know anything else on the matter.

Well, that's good to hear. I just hope they are on speaking terms and do not feel awkward while sharing the stage or meeting on camera/off-camera. They do have lot of mutual friends though, so, I think they must be on speaking terms:smiley:

But, in my own personal opinion, I think that you need to distinguish between a person's ethnicity and a person's own story when asking that sort of question. So I might, instead, ask, "What's your ethnic background?" or "Where's your family from?" if that's actually what I want to find out about a person. Just asking "Where are you from?" without any sort of qualifier or specification as to what you mean can get confusing and, as pointed out in the video, inadvertently offensive.

In other words don't presume the nationality of a person, noted. :grin:

• Like 2