Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

I did say I'd come back with replies/pics - so here goes!

13 hours ago, green_cardigan said:

@kittyna As always, thank you for sharing those pictures and your beautiful fanfics, I really enjoyed them :heart: Throwback Thursday has become something I wait eagerly to see every time, especially now that I’m watching Joo Won’s first dramas and kinda see him as a promising rookie actor with captivating looks, ready to catch ladies’ hearts :wub: 

Glad that you're enjoying those :) Sometimes, I find Throwback Thursday to be a lot of fun, too; but other times, I run into difficulties finding old(-ish) pics to share. Right now, I use his semi-hiatus in 2013, when he left television to work on "Ghost" after finishing "Good Doctor" as the dividing point between what's "old" and what's "new". But who knows? Maybe I'll have to re-draw that line someday.

13 hours ago, green_cardigan said:

I’m fast forwarding Ojakgyo Brothers, watching the scenes at Ojakgyo farm and at the police station, skipping the rest. Hwang Tae Hee really is a character that appeals to the fans, and I’m not an exception :D It feels like the writer has wanted to show all Joo Won’s charms at once in Tae Hee; the looks (I almost died when saw him with the stubble, oh god) and the cuteness (flashing those smiles and dimples every time he video calls with his grandma). The combination of coolness and hot temper as a detective, who wants to do the right thing but has to fight against his superiors. Tae Hee’s family background makes him hard but vulnerable, and it’s amazing how Joo Won portrays those traits so differently in Tae Hee than in Ma Jun; more subtle and in a way that suits the character, makes the character.

I haven't watched "Ojakgyo Brothers" yet beyond some YouTube clips, but I do hope you get a chance to really watch the full thing someday - not just JW's bits. The thing about those longer dramas is that they really flesh out every little detail in the characters' lives in this slice-of-life fashion that might feel slow to some, but can also be really relatable. 

As for JW's acting, you're right. He's one of those actors who can feel really refreshing each time around - and while it's true that he tries hard not to be typecast, that's not the only thing that's going on. Shortly before his enlistment, JW did comment about how he's oftentimes cast as "tsundere" (Japanese term) characters: those who have a cold or harsh exterior, but are actually warm and caring and vulnerable on the inside. So...characters like, well, Hwang Tae Hee - although, for me, Cha Yoo Jin is the poster child for tsundere-ness :P

That, I suppose, could be a type of typecasting, so it's good to see that JW tries hard to put a different spin on each of these characters. So, for instance, even if there are things similar in their concepts, I can imagine, say, the expression that - to use a different example - Lee Kang To might make when he's angry and the one that Gu Ma Jun or Kim Tae Hyun might make under similar circumstances. And they'd be different. Similar enough that we still know it's JW making those faces, but each with their own nuances.

And now for pics!

Spoiler

Speaking of tsundere....this scene cracks me up every single time :P 

534690cd0e5ba4f04f9f39e13dbd67bc.jpg

JW looking awesome in a tux

Loving this rather celebratory fan-edit for "My Sassy Girl"

Cute and sleepy JW

Okay, this piece of fanart is just adorable

Bad boy streetwear style

(By the way, this is really random but...I literally just said that in my head to the same rhythm as "Oppan Gangnam Style!" Um...what?)

Finally, once again on the tsundere-ness, I think I can get away with showing this snippet from my fic to make Preview #4. It's a bit more spoiler-y than my usual preview material, but at least I can take some joy in knowing that even if you guys know this is where things go, how we get here is still a mystery ;) 

Spoiler

Slowly, I feel my hands grip tightly onto the armrests once again. I feel a hitch in my throat, even as my face, my hands, all of me grows hot.

And before I can stop myself, the words come out, growled out through my teeth:

“How dare you? What do you know? You know nothing.”

I don’t know who is more caught off guard by my attack: Abeoji or myself. But what I do know is that, for just a moment, until he manages to school his expression into something sterner, his eyes widen slightly in surprise.

“What did you say?”

“If it’s quitting the cello you’re referring to, then I can tell you for a fact that Lee Yoon Hoo had a legitimate reason for doing so. But if it’s quitting Juilliard and coming here to Haneum instead that bothers you, then I beg to disagree.

“If Lee Yoon Hoo’s mad, it’s only because people like you drove him mad. If he’s broken, it’s only because people like you broke him!”

Abeoji shoots out of his seat, his hands clenched into fists at his sides.

“Mwo?!”

For just a second, his outburst makes me flinch: a sign of the child that is still deep inside of me.

But no – I’m no longer a child anymore. I can’t stop. Not now.

So rather than shrinking back, I, too, get up on my feet, even going so far as to take a step closer.

“Do you even know what people like you have done to him? What this world has done to people like him – or me? ‘Friends are just rivals in disguise’? ‘To show your heart is to be weak’?” I let out a disdainful scoff. “Says who?

“Lee Yoon Hoo didn’t run away – he escaped. He saw a path to freedom and he took it. And right now, I only wish that I had the guts to do the same!”

“Joesonghamnida – have I come at a bad time?”

I freeze, the words I was about to say next drying up in my throat as I feel something lurch deep inside of me.

That…that was….

Slowly, I turn around, glancing back at the door. And although I am no longer looking at him, I sense Abeoji doing the same.

Cha Yoo Jin…you are an idiot, after all.

Too late, I realize that in my surprise at finding Abeoji here, I had left the dressing room door open. And there, standing just inside of the threshold, is Lee Yoon Hoo himself.

How…how long had he been here?

If Yoon Hoo had heard anything, he is careful not to let it show on his face. Instead, he, in that smooth way of his, is cordial and polite as he bows to Abeoji in greeting, formally introducing himself. Then, once he has straightened back up, he looks over at me.

“You were taking so long, Cha Yoo Jin, that I just had to come back and see what the matter was. And while I would hate to interrupt this…father-son conversation, I really must.” He gestures vaguely behind himself towards the door. “They’re all asking for you now, so you had better get out there.”

Still reeling at the sight of him, I open and close my mouth several times before anything comes out.

“Geu rae,” I eventually stammer out with a nod. “Go and tell Professor Stresemann that I’ll be right there.”

Yoon Hoo answers with a small bow of his own, then, at last, turns and walks briskly out of the room, his hands clasped together behind his back.

[...]

I make my exit for good, stepping out of the green room and into the corridor beyond. Taking a sharp right, I head down towards the exit, the door that will take me to the lobby.

“Ah…so you do care, after all.”

Startled, I stop in my tracks, just in time to see Yoon Hoo come up beside me out of the corner of my eye. In my agitated state, I must have walked right past him without even realizing it.

I give him a suspicious sideways glance. “Just how much did you hear?”

“Enough,” he answers with a shrug.

“Well, then, don’t get ahead of yourself,” I retort, my words coming out clipped and curt. “I’m still not your friend. I just did what I would have done for anyone else in Rising Star.”

“Ne, ne,” he drawls out, the sing-song tone in his voice telling me that he’s not convinced.

“I mean it!”

“Sure. Whatever. You do you, Cha Yoo Jin. But I have the right to think what I want, too. And right now, before you make me regret it too badly, I want to say it first:

“Komapda, Yoo Jin-ah.”

• Like 2

Just stopping by with today's pics!

Spoiler

Joo Won during a photoshoot he did with other actors from his agency - If you've watched "Life Log", you've seen the behind-the-scenes footage for it.

He actually pulls off this pastel blue really well.

Cute and innocent smile

I'm not exactly sure what to make of this expression, though - any takers?

"My Sassy Girl" coffee break - Because "uri Joo Won-ie" is a caffeine addict like that :P 

Proud of our Soldier Boy

A whole ton of different fanservice pics from his 2017 Hong Kong fanmeeting - Hugs and piggyback rides and shoes and...well, points for variety, let's just say. :) 

• Like 2

Here I am with today's pics!

Spoiler

Cute behind the scenes pics from "My Sassy Girl" - Kiddie and grown-up Gyun Woo and Princess Hyemyung :wub:

Lookin' suave for GGIO2 :glasses:

What goes on behind the scenes in the military :P

(But seriously, the soldiers do have to pay close attention to things like their hairstyles - and the White Skulls in particular are really meticulous about that, since their regulation hairstyle is clipped closer to the head than in other divisions. Which, yes, means more upkeep - especially for JW, considering that he's pretty much the division's poster child :P)

Loving this blue graphic sweater on him

Cha Yoo Jin in action - love the caption, too!

Loving his smile here

Keep it up, Oppa!

• Like 1

Spoiler

Some really nice black and white photos - I especially like the slightly vintage gritty feel of the second one.

JW during the set-up for the Grounds Forces Festival last year - what are the chances he'll be emceeing/performing again this time around?

lol - Silly Oppa. The photo's a bit blurry, but going by the foreground...my guess is that that's also a churro in his mouth? :yum:

Always love this particular expression of his: when he sees his fans and just completely lights up :) 

That moment when the get-up is Cha Yoo Jin, but the smile is all Moon Jun Won :grin:

Kim Tae Hyun's "not taking any of your BS" face

• Like 1

A bit late, I know (so maybe today is already tomorrow for you guys), but here are today's pics!

Spoiler

I don't know if this is fanart in the conventional sense, or a photo with a filter applied over it. Either way, though, it's beautiful.

I love his laugh in this pic

When JW gets shy in front of the media and fans

So many cute smiles!

And this face is cute, too

• Like 1

Here I am with today's pics! And this time, it's Throwback Thursday again!

Spoiler

Some cute behind-the-scenes shots from "Level 7 Civil Servant"

And some admittedly more intense stills from "Gaksital"

Speaking of "Gaksital", I really like the "before and after" effect you get in this fan-edit. Ironically, the shot of the younger, more innocent Lee Kang To would be from when he's starting to get drawn over to the dark side: he's just not far in enough to realize it yet, and is mostly focused on his growing friendship with Shunji. Which, yes, in my opinion, makes the jaded and bitter Kang To we see by the drama's beginning that much sadder.

One of JW's older modeling shoots

Hwang Tae Hee's "just stepped out the shower" look (From this Instagram slideshow: https://www.instagram.com/p/BhysX13HUpU/)

7f8033b3d6ebdf2cfd7f86ad876e105b.jpg

JW during the 2012 KBS Drama Awards

And finally, a collection of shots from "Ghost"

• Like 2

Spoiler

JW in white, or JW in black - Which look do you prefer?

Just looking casually cute

He pulls off the colour-block trend well, don't you think?

I love photos that show him when he's up on stage

"Two thumbs up!"

• Like 1

And, of  course, today, I have to start with the main event....

Joo Won's appearance at the Cheorwon Festival!

There are a ton of photos of this on Instagram, so I'm just selecting my favourites - but if you did a "Joo Won" tag search, you'll find more.

Spoiler

Saving my favourite for last - check out that swagger :glasses:

And, on top of that, here are some more miscellaneous pics:

Spoiler

The busy Joseon scholar, Gyun Woo :innocent:

(Okay, so all but one of these photos are actually JW studying his script, but just play along.)

Simple but oh-so-beautiful "Yong Pal" fanart

JW playing with a cardboard cut-out of his hyung, Yoo Hae Jin

Really liking this close-up shot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

And, of  course, today, I have to start with the main event....

Joo Won's appearance at the Cheorwon Festival!

There are a ton of photos of this on Instagram, so I'm just selecting my favourites - but if you did a "Joo Won" tag search, you'll find more.

Thank you for sharing your favorites @kittyna Of course I’ve been browsing Instagram today and enjoyed the fresh updates on Joo Won ^_^ His charms don’t disappear even in the military :wub: 

I’ve almost finished Ojakgyo Brothers, only a few more episodes left, meaning drama marathons at nights for almost two weeks in a row (I’m so proud of myself haha :D) I even watch it on the bus on my way to work and back to home... Actually, this drama is such a stress reliever I don’t know what to do when it ends. I’ll be back later to share my thoughts about the drama and our sweet silent hero Hwang Tae Hee!

tumblr_ls7572oFba1qal0zgo3_r2_500.gif

• Like 2

23 hours ago, green_cardigan said:

I’ve almost finished Ojakgyo Brothers, only a few more episodes left, meaning drama marathons at nights for almost two weeks in a row (I’m so proud of myself haha :D) I even watch it on the bus on my way to work and back to home... Actually, this drama is such a stress reliever I don’t know what to do when it ends. I’ll be back later to share my thoughts about the drama and our sweet silent hero Hwang Tae Hee!

Wow, you're fast! Glad to hear that you're enjoying it :) 

Anyway - here I am with today's pics!

Spoiler

Matching outfits from JW and EXO's Suho - It's funny that the matchy-matchy feeling goes all the way to the hairstyle :tounge_xd: Although it does look like Suho's wearing trousers while JW's wearing jeans, so there's a difference there.

And more of a "couple" look from Shim Eun Kyung and JW - For those who are wondering, yes, she is wearing high heels, which is why the height difference is a bit off compared to what we actually see in "Nae Il's Cantabile".

(Just a quick side comment: while I can see Nae Il wearing what SEK has on...I can't say the same for Cha Yoo Jin and JW :P I know this was for promotions and not actual costumes from the drama, but I did notice that Yoo Jin had a more minimalist style in reality.)

d8012659c8d54ebe971d3355adbd5c8b.jpg

A few more Instagram posts from the Cheorwon Festival

These are just cute

Finally, one last goody for today - JW's Birthday Mural, painted by his fans in Cheorwon!

For those who don't know: it's turned into a bit of an annual tradition for JW's fans in Korea (although international fans are allowed to join if they could fly over) to paint a public mural to honour JW's birthday, oftentimes referencing various characters he's played. Although his birthday is actually in the end of September, the mural looks to go up sometime before then. If I recall correctly, this is the third such birthday mural, but someone please fill me in if I'm wrong.

A pic of the mural in progress....

...And the actual mural itself. The real thing is huge and can't fit into a single photograph, so this one's a slideshow.

I can't read Korean, so I don't know if I'm correct on the concept or not, but just from appearances, I see a bit of a "four seasons" thing happening here with the mural's different sections ("Good Doctor" for Spring; "Yong Pal" for Summer; "Nae Il's Cantabile" for Autumn; and "My Sassy Girl" for Winter). If someone knows the official word on that, please share with us - thanks!

• Like 2

Another big goody for you guys today, once again courtesy of the Cheorwon Festival a few days ago:

Some eagle-eyed fans noticed something different about JW's insignia this time around:

In short, JW's been marked as a Special Class Soldier.

No, not Special Forces à la "Descendants of the Sun" (although that would be really freaking awesome, I'm pretty sure that that's not how the military works). :P This is something else - I'll let yunie_ok on Instagram (a.k.a. @moonstrike here on Soompi) explain:

lol - With a track record like this, I imagine he'll remain the military's poster child for some time longer. Hm...possibly all the way to this October's Ground Forces Festival? *fingers crossed*

(Not saying this to diminish the accomplishments of other celebrity or non-celebrity soldiers, but as a fan, I'm just loving how JW's so frequently selected to take part in these public events run not just by the White Skulls, but by the military more generally.)

Anyway, moving on to today's miscellaneous pics!

Spoiler

Gorgeous fan-edit for "Nae Il's Cantabile"

Kudos to whoever put such a gorgeous filter on this shot - awesome mood lighting ;) 

Cutie Park Si On with his samgak kimbap

Sometimes suave, sometimes cute - but still all JW

(I've said it before, and I'll say it again: the silhouette picture on the bottom left is one of my absolute favourite photos of JW, ever.)

So happy!

Personally, I'm a huge fan of Cha Yoo Jin's closed-mouth smile - it's so subtle (compared to JW's real-life smile, I mean), but also so gentle and warm. In my writing, I usually describe it as a "fond" smile, because it really feels like whoever he's looking at is someone he genuinely cares about.

By the way, I can't be the only one who's noticed that this is a mannerism JW does specifically for the character, right?

a054477014ec6de7a5922968e0e9ba88.jpg

Finally, just to end it off for today - Remember the pic I shared the other day showing JW and EXO's Suho in the same suit jacket? Well, now we can add Song Joong Ki to the style buddies list ;) 

Spoiler

0b720d26137a9180681ac44b72fb1601.jpg

Just for a refresher, here's the earlier pic again:

So, let's make this a three-way: Who do you think wears it best? (This might be a stupid question to ask on a JW fan forum, but I mean objectively.)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

23 hours ago, kittyna said:

Finally, one last goody for today - JW's Birthday Mural, painted by his fans in Cheorwon!

For those who don't know: it's turned into a bit of an annual tradition for JW's fans in Korea (although international fans are allowed to join if they could fly over) to paint a public mural to honour JW's birthday, oftentimes referencing various characters he's played.

The mural looks nice, so cute and colorful! I didn’t know it was a fan made project, that the fans were actually painting it themselves :o:D They did a great job! I can imagine how much work was put into those walls... awesome, really.

Ojakgyo Brothers was worth watching and I enjoyed it very much. And I loved the end of the drama, let’s say the final 10 episodes or so, because then Tae Hee’s and Ja Eun’s story got more attention, and after a few heartbreaking/nerve wrecking twists and turns, this lovely couple finally got each other :wub: Uee and Joo Won matched for each other really well... though I haven’t yet seen an actress who didn’t have a good chemistry with JW. There were many lovely scenes between them that I replayed many times, here are a couple of my favorites from YouTube:

Spoiler

When Ja Eun asks Tae Hee to sing, and he says he can’t sing and then he just

The. Cutest. Boyfriend. Ever! 

This video was popular and we know why (and I really dig how the scene was done, turning hot kissing action into a mere daydream about hot kissing action

:P during that one shot)

If you’re a fan of Joo Won, but never watched Ojakgyo Brothers because of its length, I highly recommend you watch this drama as well! If you just can make time for it, of course. 

I’m going to miss him...

p02_02.jpg?type=w2

• Like 2

On 8/6/2018 at 1:24 PM, green_cardigan said:

Ojakgyo Brothers was worth watching and I enjoyed it very much. And I loved the end of the drama, let’s say the final 10 episodes or so, because then Tae Hee’s and Ja Eun’s story got more attention, and after a few heartbreaking/nerve wrecking twists and turns, this lovely couple finally got each other :wub: Uee and Joo Won matched for each other really well... though I haven’t yet seen an actress who didn’t have a good chemistry with JW. 

Yeah - they're total cuties, aren't they? I wonder if it's because JW and UEE already knew each other in real life prior to filming (JW is UEE's sunbae in university, and they were both theatre students, so they definitely knew of each other if not directly worked together), so there's just this really natural friendly vibe that translated over to Hwang Tae Hee and Baek Ja Eun as well :) 

When Ja Eun asks Tae Hee to sing, and he says he can’t sing and then he just

lol - It's funny, because I can sort of hear how JW was holding back a bit when he was singing inside the tent here, trying to take on what he thought Tae Hee's voice would sound like. He's deliberately singing a bit flat and with a bit more strain in his voice than he usually would at first (most noticeable with the higher and longer notes, which he usually just nails in real life). But, well, JW being JW...his real voice starts coming through in the chorus (at "You raise me up"); I can hear that that's where the audio is replaced with a pre-recorded version of the song, and JW's just fully in his element, getting that light and clear quality on the high notes that he's so known for. 

Another drama that did something similar was "Good Doctor", of course, with "If I Were", where the transition is way more obvious due to Park Si On's really unique voice.

This video was popular and we know why (and I really dig how the scene was done, turning hot kissing action into a mere daydream about hot kissing action

:P during that one shot)

LOL! Thanks for sharing that clip :tounge_xd: I remember reading comments that that scene could double as an advertisement for the lip balm UEE's using (imagine: use Burt's Bees, and some hot Korean guy's gonna come along and kiss you), and I can definitely see why now.

That's another thing I know about JW - when he films kiss scenes, he tends to go all out. So none of the "lips just touching while the girl's got HUGE eyes" trope here :kiss_wink: 

So, for instance, there's that time Gu Ma Jun kissed Shin Yu Kyung in the bar in "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" (which, yes, is a depiction of sexual assault - but at least it's actually played that way and not as something swoonworthy, because it's really not) - and then, when JW showed up on "Happy Together" to promote the drama, the female hosts and guests kept wanting him to recreate that moment with them, and although he didn't actually kiss them, you could see in the lead-up to that moment just how into it he was.

Or the fact that Han Chae Ah, in an interview for "Gaksital", said that when Lee Kang To kisses Ueno Rie, JW really gets into character and ends up with a convincing kiss.

And, well, there are the kisses from "Level 7 Civil Servant" that end up turning into full-on make-out sessions on the bed - which, at the time I was watching it, was a first for me in K-dramas.

In short: JW has admitted to taking his cues from Hollywood romance films (like "Romeo and Juliet" or "The Notebook") as inspiration for filming his own romantic scenes, and it shows. ;) It's been a bit hard for him to scale back ever since, and I think it's funny that "Ojakgyo Brothers", too, let him go all the way like that, even if just as Tae Hee's fantasy (by the way, his fantasy version of himself is really getting into it - or am I reading too much into the way he tenses up and has to grab onto the steering wheel?).

If you’re a fan of Joo Won, but never watched Ojakgyo Brothers because of its length, I highly recommend you watch this drama as well! If you just can make time for it, of course. 

Oh, I plan on watching it, don't worry. I'm not holding back because of the length, but because I want my JW dramas to last me until his comeback drama, whenever that is. So I space them out and savour them.... :) 

And now for today's pics!

Spoiler

Cute behind-the-scenes pic from "My Sassy Girl"

Liking this close-up pic, too. The camera angle is a bit different, but that's what I'm loving about it.

Nice collage

Speaking of Hwang Tae Hee....

I love the mirror concept in this shot

JW in his real-life glasses

Finally, the fifth and final Preview of my fic! Usually, I don't share this many, but I just wanted to show that I am still working on it despite a recent lack of updates:

Spoiler

Silently mouthing out a “Komawoyo,” Nae Il now scoots back to her earlier spot by the window and scoops up one of the stuffed animals displayed there, a sleepy-eyed green owl, hugging it to her chest. With that single action, a transformation takes place: Nae Il the woman giving way to Nae Il the girl.

That is the Nae Il her mother sees, then, when she knocks upon and then opens the door a crack to let us know that lunch is ready. Beaming brightly in response, Nae Il sets the doll back down in its original spot before using both hands to scoot over to the foot of the bed and climb down.

“Come on, Orabang,” she calls out as she walks briskly towards the main room outside. “You don’t want to miss this!”

Earlier this morning, Nae Il’s father, after helping us get our luggage into the house, had gone out to the market to buy meat for a barbecue. But that’s dinner, and this is lunch. So when I emerge from the bedroom just a few steps behind Nae Il, it is to be greeted with the usual combination of rice and banchan. However, the main focus of the meal, taking pride of place in the centre of the table, is a large bowl of what looks to be mulhoe: a cold spicy seafood soup. This mulhoe, though, looks different from any I have ever seen before, the broth having a distinct brownish hue.

Noting my surprise, Nae Il takes me by the hand and pulls me down onto the place beside hers at the table. “This is how we do it on Jeju-do,” she explains as her mother starts ladling out a generous helping for each of us. “We add doenjang to our mulhoe here, which is why it looks like that. Trust me, Orabang: you can’t come to Jeju-do during the summer and not try it at least once. And if you’ve never tried it like this before, then you don’t know what you’re missing.”

After everyone waits for Nae Il’s grandmother to take the first bite as the eldest, I start by sipping a careful brimming spoonful of the broth. Immediately, I can taste the difference that adding doenjang makes. While I still notice the refreshing spicy tanginess of the mulhoe I’m more familiar with in Seoul, there is now also a certain earthy depth to it; in the same way that the deep bass in a piece of music adds a resonance that is felt vibrating in the chest rather than heard by the ears, it is as though Jeju-do’s mulhoe is as tied to the earth as it is to the sea.

As I glance up from that first spoonful, I startle so much that I end up fumbling and dropping my spoon back in the bowl. Nae Il’s face is just inches away from mine, she having leaned forward in her seat, propping her elbows on the table and her chin in her hands, to stare at me in eager curiosity. Eyes widening, I glance slowly from her to the other side of the table, only to find that her mother and grandmother, too, are watching me with similar expressions.

I let out a cough. “Waeyo?” I ask, looking once more over everyone. “Is – is something the matter?”

“Ani,” Nae Il’s mother replies, shaking her head with a reassuring smile.

“We’re just wondering what you think of it, Orabang,” Nae Il cuts in. “You didn’t get much of a chance to try Eomeong’s cooking last time you were here, so….” She lets her words trail off with a shrug.

“Uri Nae Il here,” her mother explains, “used to tell me over and over on the phone just how good of a cook you were.” She pauses to shoot her daughter a pointed look at that: one that, to my amusement, makes Nae Il shy back away from me, bashfully biting her bottom lip. Then, redirecting her attention to me, she adds, “So forgive this old mother here for wanting to know if this meets your expectations.”

“Ah….” I nod in understanding. Really, I should not have been surprised.

“Well, then, Eomeong,” I answer promptly, addressing Nae Il’s mother the way I know she likes me to, “you have nothing to worry about.” Taking up my spoon again, I gesture with it down towards my bowl. “I’ve never tried mulhoe done this way before, but it’s really good.” This time, I scoop up a piece of thinly sliced abalone, angling my spoon so that she could see it. “I take it that this is your work as well?” We had arrived at the house just in time to meet her outside of the door, on her way back from an early morning dive with a net full of shellfish.

Nae Il’s mother beams, even as she waves a dismissive hand at me. “Aigoo….No need to fret, Yoo Jin; this was nothing. I’ve been a haenyeo almost all my life, as has my mother before me, and her mother before her. Love for hard work and love for the sea – it’s all in my blood.”

I don’t say anything in response, but I give her a long look that she meets without even the slightest waver or flinch. Left unspoken but felt equally strongly on both sides is the bittersweet knowledge that with Nae Il’s love and passion for something else, this family will become like many here on Jeju-do, where the current generation of haenyeo will also be the last.

And, yes, that is a throwaway reference to the Jeju-do episodes of "Life Log" ;) 

• Like 2

Just popping by with today's pics!

Spoiler

A familiar photo for most of us - but I really like how it's been cropped here.

(Thanks for Kim Tae Hee's fans for this pic!)

A behind-the-scenes moment from "Nae Il's Cantabile"

(This time, thanks to Shim Eun Kyung's fans!)

Loving his smile in this pic

68b0fb0337eebc03fd6773efbb88fdc7.jpg

Signing a poster during "Yong Pal" filming

Recording studio pics

For some reason, something about his expression here reminds me of Park Si On.

7385e2038a46d14cb85a7dddd0f8717d.jpg

• Like 1

On 8/7/2018 at 10:40 PM, kittyna said:

So, for instance, there's that time Gu Ma Jun kissed Shin Yu Kyung in the bar in "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" (which, yes, is a depiction of sexual assault - but at least it's actually played that way and not as something swoonworthy, because it's really not) - and then, when JW showed up on "Happy Together" to promote the drama, the female hosts and guests kept wanting him to recreate that moment with them, and although he didn't actually kiss them, you could see in the lead-up to that moment just how into it he was.

I had to search for that HT clip :D What a contrast between the shy, visibly nervous but adorable Joo Won and the (kissing scene) acting Joo Won, he’s truly amazing!

Or the fact that Han Chae Ah, in an interview for "Gaksital", said that when Lee Kang To kisses Ueno Rie, JW really gets into character and ends up with a convincing kiss.

And, well, there are the kisses from "Level 7 Civil Servant" that end up turning into full-on make-out sessions on the bed - which, at the time I was watching it, was a first for me in K-dramas.

In short: JW has admitted to taking his cues from Hollywood romance films (like "Romeo and Juliet" or "The Notebook") as inspiration for filming his own romantic scenes, and it shows. ;) It's been a bit hard for him to scale back ever since, and I think it's funny that "Ojakgyo Brothers", too, let him go all the way like that, even if just as Tae Hee's fantasy (by the way, his fantasy version of himself is really getting into it - or am I reading too much into the way he tenses up and has to grab onto the steering wheel?).

I’m a real sucker for romance films and kissing scenes are really important to me. In some dramas Joo Won’s kissing scenes aren’t particularly outstanding, but I know it’s because that’s how most kissing scenes are done in K-dramas. But I’m happy that every now and then, there are exceptions like the ones you mentioned...

kiss.gif

I happened to find an interview I hadn’t seen before, and it was very interesting one, especially towards the end. Joo Won mentions The Notebook being his favorite movie and how he wants to experience similar romance in his own life as in that movie: the great love, pure love. I love how JW carefully explains his thoughts always so honestly and so that there’s no misunderstandings. I could watch him talk for hours :wub: He’d make a great professor one day (he said he wants to teach acting when he’s older).

Oh, I plan on watching it, don't worry. I'm not holding back because of the length, but because I want my JW dramas to last me until his comeback drama, whenever that is. So I space them out and savour them.... :) 

6 months until he’ll be discharged, maybe start filming his comeback drama or movie during spring/summer, to be released in late 2019 at the earliest... We’ll have time for many Joo Won drama rounds before that. I still haven’t finished 7GCS and My Sassy Girl, and there seems to be tons of material on JW I haven’t seen yet.

I’ll come back later to read your fic, thank you for sharing! :star:

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, green_cardigan said:

I had to search for that HT clip :D What a contrast between the shy, visibly nervous but adorable Joo Won and the (kissing scene) acting Joo Won, he’s truly amazing!

lol - It's like someone flipped a switch inside his head, and he goes from being Moon Jun Won to Gu Ma Jun in a flash, right? :) You can actually see the moment it happens, when he goes from explaining to the hosts what he's doing to turning around and actually doing it.

39 minutes ago, green_cardigan said:

I’m a real sucker romance films and kissing scenes are really important to me. In some dramas Joo Won’s kissing scenes aren’t particularly outstanding, but I know it’s because that’s how most kissing scenes are done in K-dramas. But I’m happy that every now and then, there are exceptions like the ones you mentioned...

I think there is a time and place for the really soft and short "ppo ppo" sort of kiss - but sometimes, passion is also great. I do find that as a general whole, even the most passionate kisses in K-dramas are toned down compared to what's shown on North American television. And that's okay: because I want to focus on the emotional connection and not always the physical/sexual aspect of it. It's like a quote I remember reading by romance author Diana Gabaldon (she did the Outlander series, if that rings a bell for anyone): that sex scenes in fiction should be about exchanging emotions, "not bodily fluids". Which is, to be fair, quite a blunt way of putting it, but I get what she means: romance and erotica are two different things, let's not mix them up any more than we need to.

That being said, I generally like JW's kissing scenes for being able to strike that balance. :) 

40 minutes ago, green_cardigan said:

6 months until he’ll be discharged, maybe start filming his comeback drama or movie during spring/summer, to be released in late 2019 at the earliest... We’ll have time for many Joo Won drama rounds before that. I still haven’t finished 7GCS and My Sassy Girl, and there seems to be tons of material on JW I haven’t seen yet.

lol - I've rewatched clips from "Nae Il's Cantabile", "Good Doctor" and "Yong Pal" so many times for fic-writing that I might as well just say I've watched them a gazillion times.

I haven't watched "Ojakgyo Brothers" or "My Sassy Girl" yet. As for "Level 7 Civil Servant"...it's probably the JW drama for which I've seen the most negative reviews ("Yong Pal" wins for having the most varied/mixed opinions, though). My advice personally is that you just go into it expecting comedy and not much else - because otherwise, some of the plot and character points will drive you nuts with how nonsensical they are :P 

And now for pics! This time, again, it's Throwback Thursday

Spoiler

The actual pic - from "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" - is probably one we're all familiar with, but I'm sharing this for just how true the caption was for these two guys, especially Ma Jun:

Hwang Tae Hee's mukbang

A ton of miscellaneous old pics in these slideshows. What can I say? This fan was on a roll these past few days ;) 

• Like 2

Just popping by with today's pics!

Spoiler

Long wavy hair or short wavy hair? Which one do you like more?

JW's "bad boy" look

1dcb2510c980774a489cf6eaa81c983f.jpg

Just looking casually cool

09b6d694e5fa74f4da5145763adf2dba.jpg

a2126b95935518410af9f197224490bc.jpg

bbdcbebb69ed92b1b4588d824b24496a.jpg

Nice hat! (In Canada, we call them toques - but I know they're called beanies most everywhere else.)

Poor Lee Yoon Hoo just can't seem to get a break - his attempts to get closer to Nae Il usually just end up scaring Yoo Jin into making a move instead. However, I will say that these moments started getting funnier and funnier as the series progressed; I swear, by the end, that I became convinced that Yoon Hoo was doing it on purpose, as though he's decided that since he can't get the girl, he'll just play Cupid instead :wub:

(From this Instagram slideshow: https://www.instagram.com/p/BigTarcl-5I/)

d6cb9c4be1bc41fc6bbd63ff02a598bc.jpg

• Like 2

Spoiler

I really like this fan-edit for "Yong Pal" - And, by the way, I can never get over just how small his waist looks when he ties the apron like that. Like, seriously - there are probably girls out there who'd love to have the chest-waist-hips ratio he does...and he's a guy!

Boy-next-door style vs. Smart-and-done-up style - Which do you prefer?

c9fc5e54d17faffa1c91a390cc66a3b3.jpg

Such prominent dimples here :blush:

Personally, I'm not a fan of the a super-exaggerated shawl lapel this tuxedo jacket. I know it's supposed to be something super-formal, but when it's really wide and includes facing like this one here, it looks like something from a house gown or bathrobe, and, thus, oddly casual in my opinion. But he seems to pull it off okay.

If we're talking about that sort of lapel, in contrast, this looks much better, in my opinion ;) Hey, if you're going for casual/cute-and-fluffy, then you should own that and actually wear something cute and fluffy!

Or like in this tux here - just keep it subtle, folks ;) 

127195d7b6e8899828b4d1d2b37be6e9.jpg

And while we're on the subject of fashion, JW just completely nails the all-white suit! (Okay, in this set, his trousers are actually dark, as you'll see in the last pic. But you get the idea.)

• Like 2

Spoiler

Some cute behind-the-scenes moments from "Good Doctor"

This moment from "Nae Il's Cantabile" is one of my favourites - He may not want her kissing him, but that certainly doesn't mean he minds any sort of skinship at all.

Sweet finger hearts

lol - Looks like someone took the "Flower Boy" concept rather literally here

Funny faces

• Like 2

Spoiler

Such a simple-looking expression, but also so much going on if you pay close attention. JW as Kim Tae Hyun in this shot from "Yong Pal" really looks like he's got the weight of the world on his shoulders.

Fluffy purple sweater = Cute!

Selfies with fans

What do you guys make of this more disheveled look?

In my opinion, this is the "biggest" I've seen JW look in any of his appearances prior to his enlistment. Not my personal favourite (I'd mentioned before that I'm more attracted to the lean, wiry type than the strong, muscular type), but I know some of you ladies like this ;) 

Behind-the-Scenes photos from JW's appearance on KBS's "A Song for You" during promotions for "Ghost"

• Like 1