Quantcast
airplanegirl

Joo Won 주원- Welcome Back !

Couple of goodies for everybody:

1. The behind-the-scenes footage from JW's recording session for "I Believe" is now on YouTube!

I love how into the music he gets - but also those moments when something does end up breaking his concentration and he cracks up. ;)

2. Sure, guys...you go ahead and call it that :P 

(Filmed and shared on Instagram by Min Jin Woong)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

Thanks, @tokkimoon, for the pics! I love seeing behind-the-scenes moments like these, especially given how well JW gets along with the staff. :) 

I don't have pictures to share this time around, though. Instead, this is a fic-related update: the next installment of my Seolleim in Salzburg series will be going up in December. Yep, it's Christmas Special time :P 

(Forgive me if it sounds too soon for some of you to be going on about Christmas already - here in Canada, preparations start right after Halloween, so...)

Now, I do intend to abide by the time I have set for posting the whole thing, but I also have some snippets that could serve as previews in the meantime. So today, it's Preview 1:

Spoiler

I had thought, given her aversion to disciplinarian teachers, that Nae Il would be afraid of the Krampuses and their violence. But instead, to my surprise, she is absolutely fearless. She, like so many others our age, makes a game out of teasing the costumed actors: getting all up in their faces before dancing away with a laugh as their switches flick at her heels. And, living up to her nickname, she’s good at it, too: actually managing to dodge and escape more often than the other girls in our small section of the street.

But sooner or later, even she has to meet her match, as one Krampus, rather than going for her directly, instead swoops down to snatch her hat right off her head.

Immediately, she squawks in protest, jumping up on tiptoe and waving her arms frantically in attempts to grab it back. But he is a good deal taller than her, and easily holds it up out of her reach, driving her back with his horsehair switch until she finally relents with an indignant shrug.

By this point, I, too, have stepped closer to the action, slowly drawn to the front line by simultaneous concern for Nae Il’s safety and fascination at her performance. So as this particular Krampus, more trickster than devil, now capers about in a jangling circular dance with his prize, Nae Il can actually make out my face in the crowd. Eyes burning in indignation, she stomps several steps toward me, throwing up her arms in helpless frustration.

If she thinks that I’m about to step in to help her, though, then Seol Nae Il is sorely mistaken. Instead, I make a shooing motion with one hand, gesturing for her to try again.

“Mwo?!” she mouths at me, incredulous. “How?”

I switch tactics. This time, flashing her a reassuring smile, I move my hand in a quick upward sweep, similar to what I would use to prompt a quick skipping beat from an orchestra.

With all the noise around us, I can’t hear what Nae Il murmurs to herself as she intently watches my hand, trying to figure out the meaning of my gesture. What I do see, though, is the exact moment when she gets it; she immediately brightens, her mouth opening in a small “oh” in understanding. Then, after giving me a smart salute in thanks, she turns and runs back towards the Krampus, parking herself resolutely right at his feet.

Just as I’d thought, he stumbles to a halt, surprised at the sight before him: Nae Il, her hands planted firmly on her hips, staring back up at him with the most aegyo-infused pout that she could manage. His hand, still holding her hat up in the air, slowly lowers down until it is level with his head….

Without warning, she makes her move. Jumping up just high enough to grab onto his furry shoulder, Nae Il propels herself upwards, easily snatching her hat clean out of his hand before springing back down to the ground – and straight into my arms.

She lets out a piercing shriek and swiftly breaks free with a sharp elbow to my ribs. As I double over and stumble back several paces with a startled cry of my own, she whirls around, the hand holding her hat raised and poised to strike…until the sight of me stops her in her tracks.

“Orabang!”

“Ya, Seol Nae Il…” I gasp out, slowly straightening up even as one hand is still pressed to my side where she had hit me, “gwenchana?”

For a moment, she simply stands there, jaw dropped in astonishment. Then, without warning, she lashes out, swatting me on the arm with her hat anyway. “What was that for?! You scared me!”

“Mianhae, Nae Il-ah.” I laugh sheepishly, taking several steps back away from her with my hands raised in surrender. “I just didn’t want you to fall.”

She answers me with her cute mock-serious pout, pulling her hat back on with a huff. She strides towards me, her mouth opening to throw back some retort – but then, suddenly, she stops, her eyes wide as saucers.

“Or- Orabang….”

But I don’t get to ask her what’s the matter, because just then, out of nowhere, a large paw claps down on my shoulder.

I stiffen in alarm, going completely still for a moment before, pulse pounding in my ears in dread, I slowly turn to look behind me….

Oh. My. God.

Wait a second - didn't I say this was a Christmas Special? It is - but you'll have to wait and see why there's more of a Halloween-esque vibe at the end. :naughty: Or, you know, you could just Google "Krampus" but that might spoil the surprise :P 

• Like 2

A couple of recent goodies for you guys:

1. Even though JW plays a pretty secondary role in here (since it's Joo Sang Wook commenting on Moon Chae Won in particular), it's still nice to have a cute behind-the-scenes look at "Good Doctor"

2. JW did his Master's at Konkuk University, but many other actors have gone there as well (not sure if for their Bachelor's or for post-graduate studies like him, though)

• Like 3

JW at someone's wedding:

Loving the caption on this one :P 

• Like 2

Joo Won was gifted the Limited Edition - Nike Air Force 1 designed by Korean Rapper, G-Dragon.

Joo Won via. Instagram

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Loving those shoes - even if the flowers on them make me laugh. Just a little. :P 

Also...it's finally happened!

So, what do I think about this drama so far? I'm curious, and wondering how exactly it's going to play out. In particular, I wasn't expecting JW's character to be one "with a disorder which prevents him from feeling emotions". I can't say I've seen him doing that before - like, JW has played plenty of emotionally repressed characters (i.e. characters who actually feel emotions strongly on the inside, but who can't or don't show them for various reasons - like Park Si On because of his autism, or Cha Yoo Jin as the result of his father's abuse, or Hwang Tae Hui because of his childhood circumstances and his introversion), but not someone actually incapable of feeling. Looking forward to seeing how he takes on this particular challenge. :glasses:

[EDIT] - And here's another article, which says more about the actual project

• Like 1
  • Love 2

A couple of fun goodies for everyone (besides that massive announcement from the other day, I mean ;))

1. That time when Kim Tak Gu managed to mistake Kim Tae Hyun and Gu Ma Jun

For those who are a bit confused: Yoon Si Yoon, who played Kim Tak Gu alongside JW in "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu", took part in a variety show where, along with other celebrities, he had to guess which two dramas featuring the same actor the screenshots were taken from. Given that this is JW's fan forum, I'm sure everyone here would recognize the two images as Park Si On from "Good Doctor" and Kim Tae Hyun from "Yong Pal". However, somehow, Yoon Si Yoon guessed that one of the two images was from "King of Baking" :P (I'm assuming the second one from process of elimination, since he did guess "Good Doctor" as well). What's even funnier is that that started a series of wrong answers - "King of Baking" + "Yong Pal", "King of Baking" + "Gaksital" - before Yoon Si Yoon managed to redeem himself by getting it right. Like a boss. B)

2. Analyzing JW's style

3. Not something from Instagram this time, but Preview 2 of my upcoming Christmas installment for Seolleim in Salzburg. Let's see what sort of shenanigans Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il get into this time....

Spoiler

“Ya, Seollebal – just what on earth do you think you’re doing?”

Startled at my voice behind her, Nae Il whirls around in the middle of our kitchen, a bottle of wine cradled in each arm. For one heart-stopping moment, her stockinged feet slip and slide on the tiled floor; but fortunately, she manages to regain her balance before disaster strikes.

“Or- Orabang!” she finally yelps out. “What are you doing here?”

“That’s what I’m asking,” I say as, taking several swift strides towards her, I firmly take both bottles from her. Gripping each one by the neck, I brandish them both in her direction. “What’s all this?”

Nae Il’s mouth opens slightly, but nothing comes out until, with a bemused shake of the head, I place both bottles back on the counter.

“Well, you see, Orabang…you know how Muhammed and Fatima are coming over today, right?”

I turn around to face her, arms crossed casually in front of my chest. “Mm.”

“And you know how Muslims don’t drink…right?”

“Geu rae.”

“It’s been so long since we’ve had guests over,” she gushes, “and I really want us to be the best hosts that we could be. And so….” She breaks eye contact, glancing down somewhere at the floor beside me as she shifts from one foot to the other. “So…so I thought that, well….”

“You thought,” I retort drily, “that you should get rid of the wine first – before they could come in and see it.”

Nae Il’s eyes widen and her lips press together into her most puppyish pout as she nods. I, for my part, simply stare at her, incredulous.

“Ya, Seollebal,” I gasp out. “You…you seriously….”

It starts slowly: a deep rumbling chuckle somewhere in my chest that, for her sake, I try to suppress. But soon it grows stronger and stronger until finally, I burst out laughing.

Fortunately, rather than being offended, Nae Il cracks a relieved smile. “Wae?” she asks. “What’s so funny?”

“Nothing,” I answer. “Just….” Stepping right up to her, I cup one hand to the back of her head before pulling her close. “Trust you to come up with something like that, Seollebal,” I murmur as I stroke her hair.

Nae Il responds with a hug of her own, reaching out now to wrap her arms around my waist. But soon, she steps back, head tilted back to peer up into my eyes. “So can I do it, then?”

I chuckle a second time, switching from stroking her hair to ruffling it. “Baboya – you don’t need to.”

Finally, she seems to get it. Her mouth opens slightly as she nods in understanding.

“Well, then. That’s settled.” I bend down to place both bottles back in the wine cooler next to the refrigerator. “By the way, just where the hell were you planning on hiding these?”

She hesitates for a moment before answering sheepishly, “Your room.”

I jump up, gobsmacked. “Mwo?”

“More specifically: your wardrobe.”

My jaw drops. It takes me several rounds of opening and closing my mouth like a fish in mute astonishment before, finally, I turn my back on her, throwing my hands up in mock exasperation.

“Geu rae,” I bark out sarcastically as I march briskly outside toward the bedrooms. “Just go with the option that makes me out to be some sort of alcoholic, why don’t you.”

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Credit: JooWon_Thailand_FanClub via. Joo Won via. Instagram

Now these videos are interesting because we get to see how Joo Won acts naturally in social environments. LOL.
Now time to ANALYZE!!! Hahahahaha. I'm still wondering about his MBTI personality type.
From this video, he is pretty much standing around with his friend.
I'm the same way with unfamiliar faces, I tend to cling to someone I do know.
I'm pretty convinced he is still introverted but will be extroverted when needed. Hahaha.

Credit: JooWonSweetHome_TH via.Instagram via. Lovely_Ceci1 via. Twitter

Credit: MeyahMJW via.Instagram via. Lovely_Ceci1 via. Twitter

I'm pretty sure this is the girl in the videos! She must have asked him to take a selfie. :w00t:

Credit: JooWon_Thailand_FanClub via. s0.s2 via. Instagram

This last post is giving me Woman Yelling At Cat Meme vibes.... now I have an idea..... :P

Credit: ZuWon.Aya0930 via Instagram

• Like 2

LpjvSpv.jpg

Hahahahahahaha, I tried. :joy:

I wish I could actually call Joo Won oppa but I'm actually older than him by 2 months. Haha.

• LOL 2

13 hours ago, tokkimoon said:

Now these videos are interesting because we get to see how Joo Won acts naturally in social environments. LOL.
Now time to ANALYZE!!! Hahahahaha. I'm still wondering about his MBTI personality type.
From this video, he is pretty much standing around with his friend.
I'm the same way with unfamiliar faces, I tend to cling to someone I do know.
I'm pretty convinced he is still introverted but will be extroverted when needed. Hahaha.

I'm not sure about MBTI type, but I definitely recognize JW as an introvert based on his behaviour in the video:

• For an A-list celebrity, he's spending a good deal of time hanging around the sidelines. In fact, it took me a moment to spot him in the first video you posted since I was expecting him to be the centre of attention - but no, it's the three guys in the middle (the one with crazy colourful clothes and the other two in black) that the camera seems to be following. I don't know if that's part of his job - like, whether he's there to promote a particular piece in the collection and that's why he's staying there - but JW's definitely not right smack dab in the middle of the action here.
  • When he's not directly interacting with someone - friends, fans...not sure which - he adopts a rather closed stance: standing straight either with his hands in his pockets or with his arms crossed. He's not stiff or tense, but I notice that that's how he carries himself the majority of the time in these videos. In the first video, he's even got his arms crossed as he approaches the group in the centre, only switching to a handshake after he's been introduced. :P 
  • He also doesn't appear to be saying anything in these moments. Okay, so it'd be hard to hear his voice anyway because of all the hum and buzz of voices that you get in social gatherings like this, but I don't think I see his lips moving all that much either. ;) He's doing the whole "smile and nod" combo instead. 

I know from numerous interviews that JW's a self-identified introvert - he's mentioned before that he's actually way less vocal in real life than what we see on 1N2D, and he also told a story once on "Win-Win" about being introduced to a girl while hanging out with a friend and not saying anything to her besides a standard greeting during that entire conversation because he was too shy. I'm sure he's worked a lot harder to develop his social skills over the years - that is, after all, one of the major reasons he got into acting in the first place - but core temperament isn't something that can be changed completely. Even if JW's more outgoing now than he was when he first started out, I think he'll always be an introvert: someone who prefers spending time either by himself or just in small groups.

By the way, going back to the bit on MBTI type...I can't say I have any idea for JW personally, but what about the characters he plays? Any ideas? I've got my hypotheses, but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks, too :) 

[EDIT]

Just randomly, I went back and re-watched the Yoon Si Yoon clip I'd shared a few posts back...and I just noticed something. Based on where people are pointing, you can see which screenshot they're trying to guess the drama for - and it turns out things get really weird.

I'd thought that YSY correctly identified Park Si On and mistook Kim Tae Hyun for Gu Ma Jun, but actually...he labelled Park Si On as Gu Ma Jun, and Kim Tae Hyun as Park Si On. 

Wait - what??? Ya, Kim Tak Gu, what the heck???

• Like 1
  • LOL 1

13 hours ago, kittyna said:

I'm not sure about MBTI type, but I definitely recognize JW as an introvert based on his behaviour in the video:

• For an A-list celebrity, he's spending a good deal of time hanging around the sidelines. In fact, it took me a moment to spot him in the first video you posted since I was expecting him to be the centre of attention - but no, it's the three guys in the middle (the one with crazy colourful clothes and the other two in black) that the camera seems to be following. I don't know if that's part of his job - like, whether he's there to promote a particular piece in the collection and that's why he's staying there - but JW's definitely not right smack dab in the middle of the action here.
  • When he's not directly interacting with someone - friends, fans...not sure which - he adopts a rather closed stance: standing straight either with his hands in his pockets or with his arms crossed. He's not stiff or tense, but I notice that that's how he carries himself the majority of the time in these videos. In the first video, he's even got his arms crossed as he approaches the group in the centre, only switching to a handshake after he's been introduced. :P 
  • He also doesn't appear to be saying anything in these moments. Okay, so it'd be hard to hear his voice anyway because of all the hum and buzz of voices that you get in social gatherings like this, but I don't think I see his lips moving all that much either. ;) He's doing the whole "smile and nod" combo instead. 

I know from numerous interviews that JW's a self-identified introvert - he's mentioned before that he's actually way less vocal in real life than what we see on 1N2D, and he also told a story once on "Win-Win" about being introduced to a girl while hanging out with a friend and not saying anything to her besides a standard greeting during that entire conversation because he was too shy. I'm sure he's worked a lot harder to develop his social skills over the years - that is, after all, one of the major reasons he got into acting in the first place - but core temperament isn't something that can be changed completely. Even if JW's more outgoing now than he was when he first started out, I think he'll always be an introvert: someone who prefers spending time either by himself or just in small groups.

By the way, going back to the bit on MBTI type...I can't say I have any idea for JW personally, but what about the characters he plays? Any ideas? I've got my hypotheses, but I'd love to hear what everyone else thinks, too :) 

[EDIT]

Just randomly, I went back and re-watched the Yoon Si Yoon clip I'd shared a few posts back...and I just noticed something. Based on where people are pointing, you can see which screenshot they're trying to guess the drama for - and it turns out things get really weird.

I'd thought that YSY correctly identified Park Si On and mistook Kim Tae Hyun for Gu Ma Jun, but actually...he labelled Park Si On as Gu Ma Jun, and Kim Tae Hyun as Park Si On. 

Wait - what??? Ya, Kim Tak Gu, what the heck???

Oooooh YESS! Thanks for your analysis. We need to see him in person to see for sure. :P
I completely agree with your points!! Honestly, he's so down to earth, that sometimes I forget he's famous.
I'm actually not good at figuring MBTI but I wanna hear what you think his characters might be! Lol.
I can tell you whether I think they are extroverted or introverted (at least his TV characters). Haha.
Hopefully my guesses aren't too crazy. Haha.

Extroverts - Gu Ma Jun, Lee Kang To, Han Gil-Ro, Kim Tae Hyun, Gyun Woo
Introverts - Hwang Tae-Hee, Cha Yoo Jin
Park Shi On is hard because of his condition. It's really a wild card.

Did I forget anyone? Also, feel free to disagree because these are from assumptions, haha. I'm not clearly thinking about all the details, hahaha. I might have forgotten some moments that prove otherwise.

BTW, yeah Yoon Shi Yoon's memory was pretty bad in that case. Hahahahaha.
It was been like 9 years though right? Ma Jun's hair was pretty straight too and black.
Joo Won's hair in the later years has more brown tones.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, tokkimoon said:

I'm actually not good at figuring MBTI but I wanna hear what you think his characters might be! Lol.
I can tell you whether I think they are extroverted or introverted (at least his TV characters). Haha.
Hopefully my guesses aren't too crazy. Haha.

Extroverts - Gu Ma Jun, Lee Kang To, Han Gil-Ro, Kim Tae Hyun, Gyun Woo
Intrroverts - Hwang Tae-Hee, Cha Yoo Jin
Park Shi On is hard because of his condition. It's really a wild card.

Did I forget anyone? Also, feel free to disagree because these are from assumptions, haha. I'm not clearly thinking about all the details, hahaha. I might have forgotten some moments that prove otherwise.

Well, I'm not a psychologist myself, so I can't say I know MBTI super-well either. However, as a fanfic writer, I do actually use this site here to sometimes help me flesh out characters more than what we just see on screen: Personality Portraits

Using that, I do have my own guesses on some - but not all - of the characters JW's played. But before I get to that, I just want to say that I really like your extroversion/introversion guesses. Me, I see it more on a spectrum than an either-or (since many people carry some combination of both extroverted and introverted traits), so here's my take.

Just a quick FYI: I'm not necessarily using whether someone is talkative/social or quiet/shy as the key deciding factor. I'm thinking more about where I've seen the character being happiest: as the centre of attention in a busy social setting (extrovert), or doing something at home by themselves or with 1-2 others (introvert), or somewhere in the middle/it depends (ambivert)

Most Extroverted

Han Gil Ro

Gyun Woo (Maybe? I haven't watched "My Sassy Girl" in its entirety, so just going by the short clips I've seen on YouTube)

Lee Kang To

Kim Tae Hyun

Gu Ma Jun (To be honest, I'm rather fuzzy here, too - can you believe it's been almost 4 years since I watched "Kim Tak Gu"???)

Park Si On

Cha Yoo Jin

Hwang Tae Hui

Most Introverted

If I could actually do gradients, I would - since it's still more complex in my head than what I have here. :P Like, an ambivert who's closer to the introverted side of the scale would still be different from an ambivert closer to the extroverted side - or you can have someone like Gu Ma Jun, who appears to enjoy the attention and buzz of a social setting but is so crippled by his own insecurities that he withdraws into himself more often than not (the difference here being that, unlike an actual introvert, Ma Jun hates it).

I'll come back later with a couple more detailed - and full MBTI - takes on some selected characters, but this is all the time I've got now ;) 

• Awesome 2

So, I think I'll do these portraits/profiles one at a time, since they do take some explaining.

First of all, just a bit of context: MBTI type is a general guideline that's used to describe personality. It divides people into 16 types based on where they fall on these four different scales (names in bold, summary of what it means not):

Extroversion (getting energy from being around other people) vs. Introversion (getting energy from being alone)

Sensing (getting information from observing with your five senses) vs. Intuitive (getting information from your gut instincts and inner thoughts)

Thinking (making decisions based on logic and rational thought) vs. Feeling (making decisions based on emotions and personal values)

Judging (preferring structured and organized environments and situations - i.e. the rules) vs. Perceiving (preferring open-ended and flexible environments and situations - i.e. what feels good in the moment)

MBTI type, then, is made up of four major characteristics, one from each category. And, well, you don't need to be a psychologist to realize that things are never quite so clear-cut. Personally, I see each of these four things less as opposing pairs as two ends of a spectrum, meaning there's always room for someone to be more "in the middle" or "it depends" - in fact, that's probably more realistic. Also (and I do have an example of this which I'll save for another day), many people actually fluctuate between a few different types over the course of their lives. Maybe they were more one type in childhood and another in adulthood, or are more innately one but appear to be another because of how they were brought up or socialized - or maybe, you know, people just change. :P 

Still, it's possible to at least have some general idea of what type a person can be, and this series of posts will focus on my own personal theory. Again, I repeat: my own personal theory. You may think differently, and if so, feel free to share - I love talking about people and characters and what-not, so go for it :love:

First up: Kim Tae Hyun ("Yong Pal")

“Yong Pal”: Teaser 3 + Joo Won Hides His Pretty Face Behind A Mask In New Stills | Couch Kimchi

Type: ESTP (The "Doer") - by the way, click the link for the full explanation, since there's no way I could address it all here

Breakdown: Extroverted, Sensing, Thinking, Perceiving

Personally, I think it's right there in the name: out of all the characters JW's played, Kim Tae Hyun strikes me as the go-getter. He's the type to act first and then talk/ask questions later, with a reaction time and resourcefulness that is just uncanny at times. I mean, just look at how he handles all the different medical emergencies that get thrown at him - no matter how serious or dangerous it is, Tae Hyun just goes right into action mode, coming up with solutions on the fly (using coat hangers to hang IV drips, using glass from a broken beer bottle as a makeshift scalpel - basically, this guy's McGyver). In part, it's this quick-thinking-quick-acting instinct that's helped him survive so long - pay attention to how he tries to escape from the hitman in Episode 12 as a good example.

(Incidentally, while the site I use doesn't suggest doctors or surgeons to be among the professions associated with this type, it does mention paramedics and emergency room personnel specifically - and if that's not Yong Pal, I don't know what is :P)

In social interactions, I definitely see Tae Hyun as being more on the extroverted side of things. He might not be a full extrovert (you'll see in my last post that I consider him more an ambivert because he does have some really introspective moments), but he's definitely comfortable with being the talkative life of the party when he's with his friends. The only reason why he's uncomfortable with Yeo Jin's cocktail party is because he's not yet used to how the upper class lives, not because he's shy or reserved (he says, for instance, that he prefers parties that are more "grilling samgyeopsal and drinking soju"). He's surprisingly lighthearted given his circumstances, preferring to enjoy the moment rather than think too far ahead into the future - that might lead to impatience in some people, but he's also a loyal and responsible friend, brother, and lover, so he'll always be willing to wait.

Tae Hyun is someone who's more interested in what's right in front of him (i.e. reality) than a set of abstract ideals, but that doesn't mean he's without principles. Although we do see him carrying himself as the status-conscious money-grubber at first, we quickly find out that this, too, is a result of his adaptability and resourcefulness. Tae Hyun doesn't actually believe half the stuff he says to the rich patients, but he's able to put on the act (like a convincing salesman - or con artist) by telling himself that it's for So Hyun's sake. When we do actually see his moral values being challenged, though - like when he sees Yeo Jin's ruthlessness and thirst for revenge firsthand - he doesn't waver in his own beliefs. This time, rather than adapting, he sticks to his guns, and it pays off when it's his goodness that draws Yeo Jin back to him in the end.

In terms of weaknesses, Tae Hyun can also be a bit rash. As stated above, he's the act-first-ask-questions-later sort of person, so he's also someone who can easily end up biting off more than he could chew. In my mind at least, that's how he ends up massively in debt before the events of the drama, for instance: he'll try anything once he's desperate enough, and saving So Hyun's life is definitely a desperate situation as far as he's concerned. We also see this in how he immediately asks for access to Yeo Jin's room without even waiting to learn more about the complex politics of the 12th floor, or his decision to run into the nuclear reactor room to rescue the girl (a decision that really does almost end up killing him), or his offer of a suicide pact to Han Do Joon (i.e. the whole "let my sister go to the States and I'll kill myself" plan - like what???), or his rather harebrained attempt to rescue Han Do Joon later on (in my mind, he's just lucky that he was knocked out cold inside the ambulance when the assassins showed up, or he'd have been killed as well).

But all in all, Tae Hyun makes these choices when he feels like there is no time to think or hesitate - and hey, at least it's always done out of concern for others. ;) 

So, yeah - that's how far into detail I can get with these, which is why I want to do them one at a time. Hope you enjoy this take on Kim Tae Hyun! :mask: (Sorry, just had to with the mask.)

• Awesome 2

And now I'm here with the second MBTI-based portrait.

When put side-by-side with my earlier post on Kim Tae Hyun, this is an interesting example of what I personally call "one factor over" - i.e., what happens when I just change one element in the 4-axis combination that makes up MBTI type. Now, I do have reason to believe that not all four spectrums are weighted equally, but again, I'm not a psychologist - just a JW fan who loves expanding on the characters he plays ;) 

Hwang Tae Hui ("Ojakgyo Brothers")

Moon Joo Won ♥ 7th Grade Civil Servant (MBC, 2013) ♥ Bridal Mask (KBS2, 2012) ♥ Ojakgyo Brothers (KBS, 2011) ♥ King of Baking, Kim Tak Goo as Ma Ju (KBS2, 2010)

Type: ISTP (The "Mechanic")

Breakdown: Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Perceiving

For me, I see Hwang Tae Hui as the quiet observer who is, in fact, content to stay on the sidelines in a social situation. He's the type you'd see sitting happily with the rest of his family or friends, basking in the companionship they offer, but perfectly fine with letting everyone else do the talking. At least in part, this must stem from his childhood: for most of his life, Tae Hui's had to negotiate his own niche in the Hwang family, and with several very vocal extroverts in the house (namely, Hwang Tae Beom and Hwang Tae Pil) it's simply easier for Tae Hui to get what he needs by adapting to the environment than by fighting to get himself heard.

Tae Hui is also the sort of person who prefers to be by himself when he needs to think. He almost never thinks aloud - you seldom even get those classic "inner monologues" that you see with so many other drama characters. Instead, all his mental processing happens just there: in his head. I think some of the best examples of this in the drama are when we see Tae Hui on a case. While he does lead a whole team and has one particularly loyal partner by his side, we oftentimes see him working through things on his own: sitting alone in the gym with all his notes and evidence spread out on the floor around him; going through the motions of basketball or target practice when his mind's really on other things. However, he's not just in his own head space: when he needs to jump into the action he's able to act quickly, decisively, and - more often than not - accurately to solve any problems that are thrown at him.

One major thing about Tae Hui's personality is that he's not particularly in touch with his own feelings. It's not so much that he doesn't feel, but that he's really bad at both identifying and expressing his own emotions and motivations. He's not without conviction or principles; in fact, most of his decisions are made based on what he thinks is right: he stands up for Ja Eun against his mother and brothers; he keeps on pursuing a high-end corruption case despite his superior's attempts to stop him - and ends up badly shaken when he discovers said superior was an accomplice; he tries to let Ja Eun go for his grandmother's sake, etc. However, if you were ever to ask him to explain why he makes the choices he does, he won't be able to put them into words. He just...does.

That does, of course, make his journey in "Ojakgyo Brothers" particularly interesting. Because, after years of living like this, he's suddenly thrown into circumstances where that's not possible anymore. Everything we see happening to Tae Hui in the drama forces him to really face his emotions for the first time, and we can see the rather steep learning curve he experiences. Instead of opening up about his feelings, he bottles them up, which leads at varying times to really epic bursts of temper and self-destructive behaviours. So it's great that he has such a supporting family and girlfriend who are able to loyally stay by him as he works it all out in his own special way. :heart:

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Back again with another MBTI-based portrait - and this one's gonna be a fun one

Park Si On ("Good Doctor")

Twitter / AsianWiki: Ep.6 Good Doctor...Joo Won is great!

Type: ISFJ (The "Nurturer")

Breakdown: Introverted, Sensing, Feeling, Judging

Personally, this one's pretty obvious (no, seriously - click the link and read the thing). While I don't know how - if at all - MBTI and autism spectrum disorders intersect, this actually came really surprisingly close to the mark.

See, if there's one thing that defines Park Si On in terms of personality, it's that he's got his immense and intense caring instinct. While his knowledge is very much medically-based - which makes him the perfect friend to have around when you're feeling under the weather - he will also try his hardest to make sure everyone around him is safe, comfortable and happy. It ranges from spending time chatting with the kids in the pediatric ward to letting drunk co-workers crash at his place (even throwing together his best shot at a hangover cure: instant spicy beef soup, y'all), even if doing so actually intrudes on his own natural want for personal space.

Because, talkative as he is, Park Si On is still an introvert. I put him as an ambivert earlier, because he can get really animated and talkative when he wants to be, but Park Si On does ultimately need time alone at the end of the day to just recharge. Personally, I think this is a result of his disability, at least in part. As someone with savant syndrome, Park Si On's mind is constantly racing: taking in everything from his surrounding environment; processing it through the vast stores of knowledge and memory he has in there; making new connections and ideas not linearly, but in a gazillion directions all at once. He talks a lot because he can't help it: all these thoughts and ideas just gush out from him, and he almost needs that outlet to help him make sense of it all.

Spoiler

Just a quick side note to point out that I recognize Si On's behaviour from my own personal experience: I don't have autism per se, but I also have a form of neurodivergency - i.e. a brain that's wired differently from the norm - that exhibits similar thought processes and that also manifests as an intellectual capability that far outpaces social and emotional development. It's just that, for me, it's not science or numbers where that shows up, but in words - hence my writing capabilities. ;) Also, incidentally, from the televised ads and previews I've seen from the American version of "Good Doctor", the lead character there does not share Park Si On's think-out-loud tendency - he's a lot quieter and speaks more carefully and deliberately.

Park Si On is an extremely emotional person - he might have difficulties expressing his emotions because of his autism, but he does feel, and feels a lot. That, in part, contributes to his strong caring nature. He is a genuinely warm and kindhearted person, and while he might not be able to make the world a better place, he at least wants to try, one person at a time.

I think that his strong sense of morals and ethics also comes into play here, since those form such a huge part of his personal set of values. Park Si On is the proverbial canary in a coalmine in the hospital where he works: if he thinks something is morally good, it is; if he thinks it's bad, it really is. While it's true that much of those values are derived from books or media - which he uses as a lens to observe and understand people - he's got a strong core that's entirely his own.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

And now, finally, my mother ship of an MBTI portraits post. Because come on - with my "Seolleim in Salzburg" series being my biggest fanfic writing project on this forum, you know I'll really have thought this one out in advance.

Cha Yoo Jin ("Nae Il's Cantabile")

kae930lovejoowon - 今日ものだめ♡もちろんタキシード姿も素敵だけどユジンソンベのロングコート姿が好きだなぁ〜✧.*゜ Good night  안녕히 주무세요  .。.:*・✲・*:.。・*  #주원  #joowon

(This shot's a fan-edit rather than a screenshot, but it's just too awesome to resist ;))

Type: ISTJ (The "Duty Fulfiller")

Breakdown: Introverted, Sensing, Thinking, Judging

Yeah, it's definitely not the most original label out there, but if there is one trait that fully encompasses Cha Yoo Jin's character, I think it's this: he's the sort of person who can do anything just by sheer force of will. Loyal, dedicated, responsible, and hard-working - those are all words that come to my mind for this MBTI type, and for Cha Yoo Jin.

In many ways, Cha Yoo Jin carries himself as someone older than he actually is; he's surprisingly serious for someone in his early 20s, and - as he likes to put it - is more than capable of taking care of himself and managing his own affairs. While it's true that he tends to do things by the book, seldom questioning the rules unless he genuinely believes they are wrong, he is willing to step out of his comfort zone when the task he has been given requires it. How else would he have wound up together with Nae Il, after all? ;) 

Perhaps it's these qualities that also make Cha Yoo Jin a natural leader; he never craves power, but when it's handed to him, he carries it well. If nothing else, he's willing to throw himself entirely into helping and protecting those he cares about, even going to the point of sacrificing himself for their sake. So we see that in his decision to perform the Grieg concerto with the A Orchestra in order to save the S Orchestra from being disbanded, or his willingness to take full responsibility for the observation camera fiasco with Rising Star. But grand gestures aside, we also see it in the little things: the all-nighters as he works towards getting the S Orchestra ready for their "Eroica" performance; the way he comes home ready to drop from exhaustion but will still rally himself together to make dinner for Nae Il because she's hungry; the epic 3-hour(!) long practice sessions he does with Yoo Il Rak on top of his already jam-packed schedule.

Long story short, were it not for his friends and Nae Il having his back, Cha Yoo Jin would be setting himself up for one epic case of burnout - and even then, he'd still force himself to keep going :P 

Not that forcing himself is a good thing, though - and this is where we get into the darker underbelly to all of this. While these behaviours and personality traits are what makes Cha Yoo Jin the "mature kid" out of his peer group, we also can't forget that there are some things he simply won't be able to overcome, no matter how hard he tries. Things like winning his father's approval or overcoming his PTSD (because although he's shown starting to make steps towards managing it by the end of the drama, there's still a long - possibly lifelong - fight ahead of him). And the sad thing is that Cha Yoo Jin, being the cerebral rules-oriented type that he is, has almost no clue how to open up to others about his burdens. He's the sort of person who is willing to take on other people's problems, but it's only starting with the events of the drama that we really start seeing him getting that same emotional support in return.

Which, by the way, leads me to the rest of this post - because it's gonna be a Three-for-One special today with TWO bonus profiles. :kiss_wink:

So, without further ado, here's Bonus Profile 1 - and who else can it be but....

Seol Nae Il ("Nae Il's Cantabile")

"Nae Il's Cantabile" Behind the Scenes - 오늘도 화이팅 ㅋㅋㅋ have a great day hihi #ShimEunKyung #심은경

Type: ESFP (The "Performer")

Breakdown: Extroverted, Sensing, Feeling, Perceiving

If anyone wants to prove that "opposites attract", they really have to look no further than this. Optimistic, spunky, and spontaneous, Seol Nae Il is almost Cha Yoo Jin's complete and total opposite. But at the same time, that's what makes them work.

I think it's no surprise that Stresseman made Seol Nae Il the S Orchestra's mascot because if there's one thing she's good at, it's bringing people together. Although her quirkiness and eccentricity sometimes make it hard for people to get past their first impression, once they do get to know Nae Il, they'll also know just how kind and warmhearted she is underneath the surface. She's the one who's always trying to be the peacemaker, reminding her friends and classmates of opposing opinions that they should put aside their differences and work as a team.

As a general whole, Nae Il dislikes routine, preferring to just go with the flow through life. In her mind, life is just one adventure after another: a perspective that is helped more than a little bit by how sheltered she is. Her parents spoil her, Dean Song Mi Na creates a distinct learning plan just for her, Cha Yoo Jin (as previously noted) would do anything for her...it's no wonder she can go through life just based on her wants and desires instead of her responsibilities.

What we see in the course of the drama, though, is Nae Il's realization that life isn't all sunshine and rainbows and romance. Yoo Jin's the first person to really start pushing her - or, rather, he's the first person she's ever allowed to push her - and many of the rough patches in their relationship are a result of his brusqueness meeting her aversion to any sort of criticism. Nae Il is extremely sensitive, and is susceptible to taking comments about, say, her music personally. However, at the same time, it's her optimism and the resilience that it brings that always allows her to bounce back: sometimes unchanged, but more and more often now just a tad wiser and more mature than before.

And now, for the second Bonus...

Lee Yoon Hoo ("Nae Il's Cantabile")

「4年前のボゴムのサイン」ネイルカンタービレ関係者さんの投稿

Type: INFJ (The "Protector")

Breakdown: Introverted, Intuitive, Feeling, Judging

If there's one thing I noticed really early on about Lee Yoon Hoo, it's that he's got this uncanny ability to read people, and I would argue that that's his coping mechanism. He's a very open and caring individual at heart, but by the time he arrives at Haneum, it's clear that he's already been burned more than once in his life. Somewhere in his past - although we're never told where - he's learned that the classical music scene is filled with competitive and fake people who are only interested in befriending him for the purpose of using him to advance their own careers (what he calls "friends who are rivals in disguise"). So that's led to him developing a strong sense for people's real intentions and motivations, but it's also caused him to become an extremely private individual. If you get to know him, it's only because he lets you.

More often than not, Yoon Hoo comes across as an easygoing and friendly person: he's genuinely likable and he also genuinely likes people. Honest people, that is, but there's no shortage of that at Haneum ;) So it's no wonder that he's able to open up to his new friends so quickly, becoming a new centre for the S Orchestra members when Cha Yoo Jin can't. He definitely leans towards the introverted side of the spectrum, but I'd say he's actually an ambivert: someone who might not enjoy large boisterous gatherings, but who would also start going a little bit nuts if actually left alone.

And it's that friendship that Yoon Hoo craves the most. He feels that desire so strongly that it also bleeds into his greatest weakness: his own need for self-preservation. As loyal and caring as Yoon Hoo is, he's got a bottom line: to him, it doesn't make any sense to put himself in a situation where he'd be the one getting hurt, even if it's for the greater good of the group. So when he ends up genuinely baffled by Yoo Jin's actions for the sake of Rising Star, it's not so much out of selfishness but rather an honest question: why screw yourself over when a win-win solution is possible? Why be the guy everyone hates when you can be the one everyone loves?

Spoiler

By the way, this is a point I'll be coming back to in the upcoming installment of "Seolleim in Salzburg". I won't say how or why it happens, but Yoon Hoo ends up saying to Yoo Jin, "Look at you - always the martyr." And if that doesn't sum up his combined confusion and exasperation at Yoo Jin's way of doing things, I don't know what does.

But maybe that weakness, if managed properly, can also be Yoon Hoo's greatest strength. He's the master of "soft power" - i.e. leading by example and gentle persuasion - so he might be better off making that style of leadership entirely his own.

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1