Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

3 hours ago, moonstrike said:

Wow... that's a lot! But thanks for the information! and the conclusion I can take is that he can sing a high and low tune well. but since joo won comes from musical, you can see that he is superior in singing high voice like he did in the musical.

That's...not quite how musical theatre works. There are different voice types associated with various vocal ranges (soprano, mezzosoprano, alto, tenor, baritone, bass) and different songs/roles for each type. Usually, the higher voice ranges (i.e. soprano for women and tenor for men) get lead roles, but that's not absolute.

4 hours ago, moonstrike said:

It might be the same like when he act with Moon Chae won. It will be great. They can make a cute friend relationship. Moon Joon Won and Moon Geun Yeoung. Seems Legit... by the way, they gave the same age. Both of them born in 1987. 

Oh, yeah...they are the same age, although that hadn't crossed my mind at first. :) 

Actually, i can imagine that a little bit. Because i have seen park shin hye's drama and everytime the male lead appear, i imagine him as joo won or maybe i compare him with joo won. 

Sometimes, i can't watch another drama because i always compare them with joo won. I would think "Joo won can do this kind of act better." Or "If it was Joo won, he will do it in different way." And i will end up thinking of joo won the whole episode. 

lol - Considering all the guys that Park Shin Hye's worked with, that's quite a long list of comparisons you have there! Let me see...just off the top of my head, I can think of Lee Min Ho, Lee Jong Suk, Kim Rae Won, Yoon Si Yoon...and there are probably more. And you're pitting JW against all of them and saying you wish he stepped into those guys' roles instead? :tongue: Oh, wow...someone's devoted!

I don't do that as often, since I seldom like comparing people - I'm one of those who'd rather we think of, to borrow a line from my own fics, everyone as being "equally good" :wink: Okay, I do have a sense that some actors are more skilled than others, but not to the extent to which I think JW can just blow them all out of the water. He has thus far because I've really liked him in the roles he's taken on, but there are still instances when I think a certain type of role might not actually work for him.

It is fun to imagine, though, what it would have been like if some other really iconic K-drama lead had been played by JW instead of the actor who wound up getting the part, but I have a hard time getting very far in that fantasy.

Never seen him got beat up like this. This is so funny. And his "Aw..Oww..." is so hilarious.

That scene was really funny! No offense, but his character deserved the beat-down there, because he was just so cocky and full of himself. He needed to be taken down a few notches, I think.

The only other time I saw JW's character get that sort of treatment was in "Level 7 Civil Servant" - and, yes, it was equally deserved. :tongue: 

I also think JW probably had a lot of fun filming both that scene and "Clocking Out" more generally :) 

His dimples is indeed really gorgeous! The real dimples without plastic.

The article link isn't working for me, but I'm assuming that it's talking about how JW's dimples aren't from plastic surgery...?

And now for some pics of my own!

Spoiler

This behind the scenes photo from "Nae Il's Cantabile" is so funny! I remember the scene, but it was filmed so that you're looking at their faces rather than from the side like this.

JW dressed completely in white

Whoever did the editing for this photo did an amazing job - the selective colouring (i.e. keeping most of the picture black and white with just a little bit of colour) is gorgeous!

JW in the recording studio

He makes this face a lot, doesn't he.

JW on the guitar

JW with Kim Young Kwang for GGIO2 - I love their matching poses!

• Like 1

So recently, some really cute fanart has come to my attention, and I figured I'd share it all at once.

AND THEY INCLUDE CHIBIS!!! :blush:

Spoiler

"Nae Il's Cantabile"

"Gaksital"

"Good Doctor"

And, finally, a crossover between 1N2D and "Gaksital"

• Like 1

21 hours ago, kittyna said:

That's...not quite how musical theatre works. There are different voice types associated with various vocal ranges (soprano, mezzosoprano, alto, tenor, baritone, bass) and different songs/roles for each type. Usually, the higher voice ranges (i.e. soprano for women and tenor for men) get lead roles, but that's not absolute.

Okay... now i'm confused. I do not know anything about musical or something like that. I just know musical after I know that joo won is a musical actor. so I just found out about this lately and that was just the surface. :blink:

lol - Considering all the guys that Park Shin Hye's worked with, that's quite a long list of comparisons you have there! Let me see...just off the top of my head, I can think of Lee Min Ho, Lee Jong Suk, Kim Rae Won, Yoon Si Yoon...and there are probably more. And you're pitting JW against all of them and saying you wish he stepped into those guys' roles instead? :tongue: Oh, wow...someone's devoted!

Not all. just maybe few of it. because I know I'll be thinking about joo won and not focusing on the storyline of the drama so lately I've not been watching dramas again. I might be watching dramas again after joo won comeback. After all I do not have time for it. if I miss joo won, I used to choose to watch only his ideo on youtube. But I set aside the joo won's drama that I have not watched yet for later when joo won have no news.

Pics!!

This is so beautiful

Is this superman family? So cute.

Love his hairstyle here.

Joo won bus with joo won in it. 

The PD said that joo won and the child actor is like father and son. And finally I know why he said like that after seeing this video. His behaviour show that. I bet he take care of the child and play with him on set. 

Another proove

More proove

Joo won and his "son".

P.s: Joo won looks like 17. And the kid is very cute!

Remember when i said that he is like son and father with that child. In this trailer Chen Xi (Joo won) said that he will be a father for her son. And i think he is potraying the father role very good and even make the staff said that he really looks like the real father of the child.

• Like 1

On 1/10/2018 at 11:59 AM, moonstrike said:

Okay... now i'm confused. I do not know anything about musical or something like that. I just know musical after I know that joo won is a musical actor. so I just found out about this lately and that was just the surface. :blink:

It's okay. Music - especially classical, but also musical theatre to an extent - is something I've grown up with, so I sometimes forget that it's not something everybody knows about.

So let me explain without all the jargon: musical theatre is not just about higher notes, nor are all good musical theatre actors good at them. There's a bit of something for everyone: characters/roles written for singers with a stronger high range (e.g. JW) and those written for singers with a stronger lower range. Usually, the first male and female leads are written for actors who can sing in a higher range, while the lower range might go to, say, the second male and female leads (to use a term from K-dramas). However, while that is the general pattern, it is not a set rule, and there are going to be some exceptions.

Hope that helps!

On 1/10/2018 at 11:59 AM, moonstrike said:

if I miss joo won, I used to choose to watch only his ideo on youtube. But I set aside the joo won's drama that I have not watched yet for later when joo won have no news.

lol - I've been saving things up, too! That's why as much as I want to watch the dramas he's done that I haven't seen yet, I'm also in no hurry to start. I'm worried I'd run out before February 2019...and then what would I do, right? :tongue: 

Aw...so much cuteness from "Love Express" this time - thanks for sharing!

And now for some pics of my own:

Spoiler

Speaking of JW with child actors, here's a collage with a few more pics (from "Nae Il's Cantabile" and "Good Doctor")

I've seen the "Good Doctor" ones before, but not the other one, and looking at it now reminds me that when my family had watched "Nae Il's Cantabile" together, one of the first things my dad said in the first episode was, "That kid really does look like JW." I hadn't paid that much mind before, but I definitely see it in this photo.

JW playing in the snow - I remember this moment on "Life Log", but didn't know Mountia had made an official shot from it.

edfab4f1e2040bb118d7cc0e3934e213.jpg

Speaking of Chinese productions, a few images of JW as Qu Wei Ran in "Sweet Sixteen" have come to my attention. And while I know his character's a total jerk (I've even seen a comment once where someone said they lost a lot of respect for JW because of something his character did in this film - I won't say what because of spoilers!), I have to admit...he makes a very dashing-looking villain :tongue:

(And, no, I don't know why the person who posted this one incorrectly tagged it as being from "Love Express")

This just looks really, totally cool :glasses:

A photo from JW's enlistment day that I've never seen before

46bcdc4c2bf81a3cdd4d311e8683622b.jpg

JW looks great dressed all in black, doesn't he?

9d0d3440e4bdbf51dadbffa2cc44a2f4.jpg

Really cool-looking shot of JW and Kim Young Kwang for GGIO2 - It's a bit ironic that they look so cool, though, because these screencaps were taken from an ad where they had both literally tripped and fallen over themselves just a few seconds prior :tongue: 

Finally, an update on the fic I'm currently working on. It's still not done yet: partly because I don't have as much time to write as I did with some of the earlier fics I've posted, but also because it's been a very challenging story to write so far. A lot of my other fics seem to almost write themselves: the images and words just come to me and end up pouring out (hence why I can write long fics in a short amount of time). But this one's been harder, because I've had to be a lot more conscious about how I'm phrasing or wording things, and I'm seldom happy with what I've come up with and end up having to rework it.

HOWEVER, that being said, I am working on it. And as proof, here's a second preview.

Again, just to recap: it's my first time writing a "Good Doctor" story from Park Si On's point of view :wink: 

Spoiler

I know that Cha Seonsaengnim is angry at me, too. I know that she thinks I did something wrong. I can tell by the way she raises her voice, by the way she jerks her hand at the other doctors like she wants to hit all three of us. As I follow her out of the washroom to one of the seating areas out in the lobby, I wonder if I am in trouble again.

But then, instead of yelling at me, Cha Seonsaengnim buys two bowls of ice cream from the canteen and tells me to sit with her. Then, in the soft and gentle voice she uses when we normally talk, she asks, “Park Si On, what do you think a doctor is?”

Right away, an answer comes to me from deep inside my memory. “It is the same as in the Hippocratic Oath. As a physician, my foremost duty is to care for my patients’ health, and save their lives. Doctors are people who think about the patient’s health and life, first and foremost.”

Cha Seonsaengnim leans forward in interest. “So, then, what do you think a patient is?”

“A patient is someone who needs a doctor’s help. If someone needs help, you need to treat him, no matter what.”

“Where did you get that from?” she asks.

“Hippocrates –”

“That’s not what it says in the Hippocratic Oath.”

I know that. I must have missed a step. That happens sometimes. My mind sometimes goes from Point A to Point C and skips over Point B.

“Director Choi told me so,” I explain.

Cha Seonsaengnim leans in even closer so her elbows are on the table. “I know that that’s what Director Choi thinks. But what about you? How would you put it: in your own words?”

In my own words?

Andwaemida.

Cha Seonsaengnim does not understand. I cannot say it in my own words. When I use my own words, I stammer and stutter and say the wrong things. I just look like a dummy. If I want to sound smart, I need to use a smart person’s words – Director Choi’s words.

Once again, I hope the full story will be finished soon, but I can't make any promises.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, kittyna said:

lol - I've been saving things up, too! That's why as much as I want to watch the dramas he's done that I haven't seen yet, I'm also in no hurry to start. I'm worried I'd run out before February 2019...and then what would I do, right? :tongue:

I'm also not in a hurry. if I miss him and are very curious about his drama that I have not seen, I usually will watch a bit of the footage and also bts from the drama. I planned to watch it when I had a long holiday. so I can be satisfied looking at his cute handsome face.

Aw...so much cuteness from "Love Express" this time - thanks for sharing!

There's many of it. Some is cute and some is romantic. Personaly, i like joo won photo with the child actor. It makes me really curious about the drama. I also curious about his chemistry with his "child". I bet the child will stick and like him very much. 

Here is more photos featuring joo won as chen xi!

Come to papa! This pose is like he want to embrace all of his fans. If he do this to me, i might be fainted and get heart attack because of his awesomeness.

The cake looks really good. I don't want to eat it.

KISS SCENE GUYS!!! SPOILER ALERT... 

Looks like they have so much fun.

Tall Joo Won beside the petite Deng JiaJia. Such a great high.

Speaking of Chinese productions, a few images of JW as Qu Wei Ran in "Sweet Sixteen" have come to my attention. And while I know his character's a total jerk (I've even seen a comment once where someone said they lost a lot of respect for JW because of something his character did in this film - I won't say what because of spoilers!), I have to admit...he makes a very dashing-looking villain :tongue:

When people said that, that means he portray and play his character very well that makes the audience forgot that it's an actor who plays it. It's not a real person in real life and that is not his real personality.

In my opinion, Great actor is actor that change like chameleon. It means that they change to the character they play and makes the audience immersed by their acting. If they play a villain, they will be bad on screen that makes the audience hates them. So that also means they are succeed portraying the character. 

And fyi, i already watched the movie. Some of the scene is makes me scared and also makes me want to cover my eyes. Especially joo won's scene. The most BADASS scene JooWon has ever done! :wub: He freaking raped her! He mentioned he wont do a BED scene, so he does this BATH scene instead.. :lol::lol::lol:

But we know this is not real. Usually, these kind of scenes are not real. Unless they show both actor/actress being naked, then maybe it will be real if both agrees. For this scene, everyone knows it's not real. Haha! And also, to make love forcefully, a man doesnt need to be shirtless.. :wink: 

he makes a very dashing-looking villain :tongue:

Almost all the time, he wears a suit in the movie. All i can say is that he was very handsome and fit wearing a suit. So dashing!

But his gaze is so scary and creepy. He really change into Qu Wei Ran. I didn't even see joo won when he was acting.

HOWEVER, that being said, I am working on it. And as proof, here's a second preview.

Makes me more curious about the story. How will the story end? Especially, this time perspective that you used is Shi On. 

Pics!

With a happy heart, I want to announce that we have a new photo from him. this is from a new army recruiting event, I think. although the picture is a bit blurry, we certainly can still recognize our won cutie joo won. and once again, he wears his full uniform. complete with rope(?), the red devil hat, and also the big belt. I like his uniform.

Dazzling when wearing a suit 

Love his meong face here! And also i like his hairstyle here.

• Like 1

On 1/11/2018 at 10:26 AM, moonstrike said:

Come to papa! This pose is like he want to embrace all of his fans. If he do this to me, i might be fainted and get heart attack because of his awesomeness.

Aw...that's really cute :) I like it when JW makes that particular gesture, although I wonder who's on the receiving end this time around :wink: 

When people said that, that means he portray and play his character very well that makes the audience forgot that it's an actor who plays it. It's not a real person in real life and that is not his real personality.

In my opinion, Great actor is actor that change like chameleon. It means that they change to the character they play and makes the audience immersed by their acting. If they play a villain, they will be bad on screen that makes the audience hates them. So that also means they are succeed portraying the character. 

I know what you mean, and I'm usually like that myself. If someone's playing a villain, I want to come away being scared of them or feeling angry/frustrated at them.

And fyi, i already watched the movie. Some of the scene is makes me scared and also makes me want to cover my eyes. Especially joo won's scene. The most BADASS scene JooWon has ever done! :wub: He freaking raped her! He mentioned he wont do a BED scene, so he does this BATH scene instead.. :lol::lol::lol:

But we know this is not real. Usually, these kind of scenes are not real. Unless they show both actor/actress being naked, then maybe it will be real if both agrees. For this scene, everyone knows it's not real. Haha! And also, to make love forcefully, a man doesnt need to be shirtless.. :wink: 

Oh, wow... @moonstrike, I was trying to skirt around the scene in question and then you just came right out and said it! Clearly, you're braver than me, then.

But now that it's out in the open, here's the thing. Given that we are talking about a rape scene, I...can see why someone wouldn't like JW for it. Not because they believe it's real - because it's clearly acting - but because it is rather disturbing to think about the fact that JW willingly signed on to play such a character. I can see why that could end up offending some people - and said viewers, I think, are perfectly within their rights to be upset under those circumstances.

I've been surprised several times by the sorts of roles JW has played, because sometimes he'll sign on to something that just sounds the complete opposite of what I expect. I don't mean that in the "his character's personality is very different from his own" sort of way, but in the, "How on earth did a Christian actor with such a strong good-kid image agree to do something like that?" sort of way. So roles  that involved sex like what he had for "Spring Awakening" or "Ghost" or "Sweet Sixteen" would be examples there - or even a role like Lee Kang To due to how much violence and profanity were involved.

Maybe Christian artists are held to a different standard here in North America, where there's a strong, "What Would Jesus Do?" culture that suggests that Christian actors who take on such characters are not good Christians. But maybe that's not as big a deal in Korea. So I accept that JW took on such roles, and I don't think they reflect badly on his real-life persona, but...it still took me a while to get used to the whole idea.

And now for pics!

First of all, Throwback Thursday time! This week, it can't get much more "throwback" than this, because I've found a few images where fans have put his childhood photos side-by-side with his grown-up photos for comparison.

These first two use the same childhood photo, but different adult ones

And then there's this one, which also features Moon Appa as well :) 

And, besides the throwback, here are some other pics:

Spoiler

The lighting/editing in these shots just looks so dreamy....

51dc1c754afa96383e3aab8906416c2b.jpg

1906ffa3ce6338ebf602113fe36a827c.jpg

I cracked up when I saw this - I know it's a behind-the-scenes photo, so it's JW being himself rather than in character, but can you just imagine Cha Yoo Jin doing this anyway? :tongue: 

A few more really nice black-and-white photos

b4e282d5f835b2ebd7e74ed3f4c5b050.jpg

That's it for now. There's something else I have planned for today that I'll come back to later - not the new fic, sorry, but something I haven't done before but want to try anyway. So stay tuned!

• Like 1

So, I'd mentioned earlier that I want to try something new (well, new for me, anyway) on this forum. It probably won't be a regular feature here, because, like my fics, it'll really depend on when/where inspiration strikes. However, I think it would be a fun way to 1) take a closer look at JW as an actor, and 2) give me something to talk about beyond just sharing pictures with short captions.

Because at the end of the day...I'm a total nerd, and this is my chance to go all out on that :wink: 

What I want to do as an additional feature on this forum is to occasionally find a scene from one of JW's dramas/films - might be a screenshot or a short clip - and just see how much I can pick up from it. A bit of a scavenger hunt, if you will. :tongue:

So, to start it off, I'll use the screenshot that actually inspired this whole exercise for me in the first place: this image from a teaser for "Nae Il's Cantabile" (a zoomed-out version also appears in Episode 1).

0d5d1f9d90b62d66ee514c6d2e8efbcd.jpg

Why this screenshot in particular? Because as far as character intros go, this is actually really brilliantly staged, in my opinion - because, visually, it clues us in to so much about Cha Yoo Jin's character before we really see him in action.

There is, first of all, just how JW looks himself. Hey, I did say that I would use this to comment on him as an actor, so that seems to be the best place to start. There are a few details I'm really noting here, especially considering that this is our first impression of the adult Cha Yoo Jin. The most obvious is, of course, his appearance. From what I've seen online, JW's look as Cha Yoo Jin looks to be one of those "either you love it or you hate it" sort of things - and for me, I love it. There is a slightly cool and edgy vibe here in the crisp white button-down shirt and black trousers, but more than that, it's a very structured and minimalist look. More importantly, it's not what I'd imagine of a university student in his early 20s - not unless he's studying something like business (I've seen business students wearing suits to school before, even!). That ends up suggesting to me that Cha Yoo Jin is a character who is either actually going to be more mature than his age - or that he at least wants to look it.

As we find out over the course of the drama, it's a bit of both: he does have a very charismatic side that makes him the natural leader in the group, but I would argue that he's also trying to visually distance himself from his peers (more on that below).

However, continuing with the appearance, I also want to say something about the hairstyle - which is, from my observation, the most divisive part of JW's choice of look for Cha Yoo Jin. Personally, I like it. It's not exactly what I would call the trendiest style, and it's definitely a bit too long to really be called conservative. However, I was reminded, personally, of all the different portraits I've seen of 19th century classical composers/musicians like Schumann or Chopin or Liszt - all of whom tended to grow their hair out longer than was actually fashionable at the time. This is a visual correlation (longer hair on guys relating to a more artistic temperament) that we see several times in the drama (Yoo Il Rak is another example, although he takes things more on the contemporary edgy side of things by dyeing his hair blond to boot). Whether or not you think it looks flattering on JW himself, I think that it's saying something about Yoo Jin's personality: that underneath the stern exterior, there is a more romantic and emotionally driven person inside. We know later on that this is true of his character: he might appear to be all Type A and emotionally dry, but he's really the exact opposite; if anything, he feels too much.

The second thing I noticed is how JW is holding the conductor's baton. We know at this point that Cha Yoo Jin's mourning the fact that he cannot go back to Austria the way he wants to, although the reason why is not revealed until later on in that episode. And on top of the actual monologue that we hear at this point, I can see that conveyed in the way JW runs his fingers over the baton in this shot. He's holding it so delicately and so gently - just touching his fingers to it - that you can tell this is something that is precious to him, even without knowing that it belonged to Maestro Viera at first. I can also see how he's glancing down at it; although we don't get a good look into JW's eyes here, we can see from his body language that the main emotion here is longing. There's something almost wistful about how he's looking down at the baton. It's the sort of deeply pained look that we sometimes see drama leads give to, say, something that belongs to their boyfriend or girlfriend during that break-up/noble idiocy phase that tends to appear in the middle - but this is the very first look at Cha Yoo Jin that we get, and already, JW's conveying his pain and desire so vividly that I can just feel it.

But it's not just all about JW here. The reason why I want to talk about this screenshot in particular is because there are so many other details that I can pick up. Things like the set or the props can also say so much, and add to the drama's introduction of Cha Yoo Jin as a character.

Again, there are a lot of things I can talk about here, but there were two main things that really caught my eye right off the bat.

First of all, there is the wineglass. Question: we see a lot of young(ish) characters drinking in Korean dramas...but how often do we see wine???  I don't know about you, but usually, when watching a K-drama, I see younger characters drinking a lot of beer, a lot of soju, a lot of mixtures of both, the occasional makgeolli...not much else. Stronger drinks like brandy or whisky do show up from time to time, but they're often either bar scenes or, when shown in a home, it's usually some wealthy ahjussi or ahjumma who's indulging: not a guy in his early 20s. This is not the only time we see a quick visual reference like this in the drama: when Cha Yoo Jin drinks alone at home, it's usually wine. There are some scenes where we see beer or soju, but that's social drinking with the other characters - not Yoo Jin on his own. 

It might be a trivial detail, but it is, I think, an important one. Mostly because of the sort of associations we might have of wine or people who drink it.

I don't know about you guys, but for me, wine - and drinking wine - implies a certain degree of sophistication: not so much wealth, but class and a very classic sense of taste. It implies, for me, a certain conservative nature and restraint, especially when shown with someone so young.

But more importantly than that, I think the director's choice to include a wineglass in this screenshot is a big visual clue that Cha Yoo Jin is an outsider. Or, rather, that he sees himself as an outsider. According to this article, wine is something that is still strongly associated with the outside world in South Korea: particularly the Western world, including places like Europe and North America. So, to show Cha Yoo Jin choosing it while he's on his own and the choice is his to make is a subtle hint at where he feels like he belongs: we already know from his monologue that he wants to keep his ties with his childhood in Europe alive somehow, and this is, in my opinion, a really clever way to show that visually.

The last visual detail I want to talk about is the bookshelves. This is another thing where I know from interviews JW had a significant amount of influence. He asked the staff in charge of the set to make sure that everything in the background was perfect: that the books' spines were all perfectly in line, that everything was perfectly straight and neat (with the exception of the one shelf right above JW's head where the books are leaning slightly, it holds true throughout). JW himself has said that he insisted on this because he felt it would strongly convey Cha Yoo Jin's perfectionism. I want to take it a step further and argue that this shows that Cha Yoo Jin is not only a perfectionist, but his own worst critic. Yes, he demands a high level of skill - possibly even perfection, at first - from the other characters in the drama, but before any of that, before we see how frustrated he is at his fellow students' bad playing, we see that he holds himself to that same standard. Even in the privacy of his own home, Yoo Jin wants everything to be just so - and if he can't do that for anyone else, well, then, he's going to make sure he can do that for his own life.

So...I went on for quite a bit, haven't I? :cold_sweat: But doing an exercise like this was also a lot of fun, and I think I'd be willing to do it again if I happen to come across another screenshot that gives me as much food for thought as this one. But if not, and if this turns out to be a one-time thing...that's okay, too. Now you've all just gotten a glimpse into my rather nerdy head :blush:

• Like 1

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

Aw...that's really cute :) I like it when JW makes that particular gesture, although I wonder who's on the receiving end this time around :wink: 

Maybe his co-star, Deng Jiajia, or the child actor. I watched the trailer, they are like a small harmonious family. With a handsome and reliable postman as a father, beautiful and warm baker as mother, and cute little kid as their son. But her ex-husband come and want to ruin her life again. 

I once read one of the comment fans saying that this drama might be dramatic and sad though we can still see their romance. Hahhhgg... i don't want sad scene for joo won. He looks really painful when he act that scene.

I know what you mean, and I'm usually like that myself. If someone's playing a villain, I want to come away being scared of them or feeling angry/frustrated at them.

But sometimes i can't hate him when he act as gu ma jun in baker king. He is lonely and want some affection. It makes me feel sorry for him rather than hate him. But in "pashion heaven" I feel more fear rather than hate him. 

But now that it's out in the open, here's the thing. Given that we are talking about a rape scene, I...can see why someone wouldn't like JW for it. Not because they believe it's real - because it's clearly acting - but because it is rather disturbing to think about the fact that JW willingly signed on to play such a character. I can see why that could end up offending some people - and said viewers, I think, are perfectly within their rights to be upset under those circumstances.

Actually i first thought like that. but after thinking, I realize that joo won always takes on a challenging role than others. he wanted to expand and deepen his acting skills with such a role. "spring awakening" was a quite large production at the time. so naturally he wants to be a lead actor and singing there. is a great achievement to participate in that production. I remember that he said he was very happy to participate in the production even though he only became understudy. that role also brought him to this day. as you know, that his agency recruited him when he saw his performance as a melchior on the project.

Then in "gaksital", as I said he wants to make his acting skills even better. so he took the challenging challenge. that role also made him more known and earned the title of "great actor" because he could portray criminals and heroes at one time. it's just like he's acting as a man with hyde and jekyll syndrome.

Then "pashion heaven", I think joo won want to give a strong impression on his first chinese movie. So he took that role. Or maybe he wants to act as a bad guy again after long time.

But maybe that's not as big a deal in Korea. So I accept that JW took on such roles, and I don't think they reflect badly on his real-life persona, but...it still took me a while to get used to the whole idea.

As long as the audience know its an acting. It will be okay. And people already know that he is not like that. Joo won is known as a good actor and has never been a scandal. from his friends, colleagues, and even people already know about his good attitude.

And also, I've heard that joo won is well known as an example of model actor. For his demeanour/behavior/action. It makes me really proud of him.

Pics!

The lightning in this photo is so good. And it also show his emotions.

What should i say? This is so hot!

What's with this expression?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, moonstrike said:

I watched the trailer, they are like a small harmonious family. With a handsome and reliable postman as a father, beautiful and warm baker as mother, and cute little kid as their son. But her ex-husband come and want to ruin her life again. 

Yeah, I watched the trailer you posted - it sounds like a really cute and sweet drama. :) I hope it will be aired soon so we can see how things will really play out.

But sometimes i can't hate him when he act as gu ma jun in baker king. He is lonely and want some affection. It makes me feel sorry for him rather than hate him. But in "pashion heaven" I feel more fear rather than hate him

Gu Ma Jun was the sort of villain where I wasn't scared of him, nor did I hate him. Rather, he's the sort of villain where I spent a long time really hoping that he could see the error in his ways and choose the right path - I was definitely so happy that he did do that by the end :) 

I haven't actually watched "Passion Heaven"/"Sweet Sixteen" yet, so I can't say what I think of JW's character there. He does sound scary, though: not in the psycho sense, but in the "rich guy who will do anything to get what he wants" sense.

Actually i first thought like that. but after thinking, I realize that joo won always takes on a challenging role than others. he wanted to expand and deepen his acting skills with such a role. "spring awakening" was a quite large production at the time. so naturally he wants to be a lead actor and singing there. is a great achievement to participate in that production. I remember that he said he was very happy to participate in the production even though he only became understudy. that role also brought him to this day. as you know, that his agency recruited him when he saw his performance as a melchior on the project.

Then in "gaksital", as I said he wants to make his acting skills even better. so he took the challenging challenge. that role also made him more known and earned the title of "great actor" because he could portray criminals and heroes at one time. it's just like he's acting as a man with hyde and jekyll syndrome.

Then "pashion heaven", I think joo won want to give a strong impression on his first chinese movie. So he took that role. Or maybe he wants to act as a bad guy again after long time.

I think so, too. I like that JW always tries to challenge himself - even if the end result is a bit painful to watch. I want to see him experimenting with more diverse roles - both as the good guy and as the villain. 

But I still think that if someone does not like JW for choosing roles like Qu Wei Ran, I won't fault them for it. Because I can imagine why seeing a character like that can be really frightening or traumatizing for some people, especially those who may have been victims of such attacks in the past. JW's not entirely to blame, though: although he does need to take responsibility for choosing to sign on to the role, I think a bigger issue is that we have a movie with a rape storyline in the first place. No matter who ends up playing Qu Wei Ran, the result for people who have been traumatized by sexual violence will still be the same.

Since there's still some time before I need to go to bed, here's one last set of pics for today!

Spoiler

Cute behind the scenes photo from "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu"

I love how this shot turned out :) 

I still think it's funny - and a little bit cute - that JW bites his knuckle when he's thinking

I'm not a huge fan of the Dec. 2015 Céci Magazine photo shoot in general, but this fan-made collage looks cool

Gorgeous photo-editing!

More JW Bunny Face!

And now I do need to go to bed. So good night!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, kittyna said:

Yeah, I watched the trailer you posted - it sounds like a really cute and sweet drama. :) I hope it will be aired soon so we can see how things will really play out.

Oohhh... i heard that this drama will air in 2020. I don't know this is true or not. But personaly, i want this drama air in 2019. The year when joo won finally finish his military service. So he will be has two projects in one year. Hoping that this project will make things more easier for him to build his image and popularity again.

Gu Ma Jun was the sort of villain where I wasn't scared of him, nor did I hate him. Rather, he's the sort of villain where I spent a long time really hoping that he could see the error in his ways and choose the right path - I was definitely so happy that he did do that by the end :) 

There are many scene that he realize what he was doing is bad but his heart and his head always thinking about his dad who never give a proper affection to him and takgu that he thinks always win and loved by everyone. He was envy of tak gu.

All the memories made him repeat the same mistake again and eventually harm his own brother. but if you look around him, he has no one beside him. therefore he wants to make yu kyung be his. thinking about it makes me realize that he was suffering and lonely.

But at the end of the episode you can see charming smile which ma jun rarely show. He finally returns to the right path and also I can see the warm joo won inside him.

But I still think that if someone does not like JW for choosing roles like Qu Wei Ran, I won't fault them for it. Because I can imagine why seeing a character like that can be really frightening or traumatizing for some people, especially those who may have been victims of such attacks in the past. JW's not entirely to blame, though: although he does need to take responsibility for choosing to sign on to the role, I think a bigger issue is that we have a movie with a rape storyline in the first place. No matter who ends up playing Qu Wei Ran, the result for people who have been traumatized by sexual violence will still be the same.

Hmm... its quite deep tho. By the way, i've read the novel of pashion heaven. The novel is more dramatic and sad than the movie. And also in the end of the story from the novel, Qu Wei Ran will die. Its quite different from the movie. And also in the novel, you can see why Qu Wei Ran is act like that towards Shu Ya Wang. His life is a mess and so lonely too. Qu Wei Ran in the novel is so pathetic. Same as majun but Qu Wei Ran's action is more "brave", i think.

Pics!!!

So beautiful. 

I want him to take a Warrior role!!! A lot of action and cool scene is a must in that kind of drama so we can see him fighting with the baddies in every episode. Imagining a handsome and talented warior in joseon era is something amazing for me!

Hi, cute Yong pal. Or should i call him joo won. He is just in his costume but joo won is still joo won. He still himself. Look at that expression! Everyone can tell that he still not act yet. 

I remember the PD said that Park Shi On without autism is absolutely joo won. I can see why he said that. We have the same feeling, PD-nim! 

By the way, this all is so cute that i can't handle it.

http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=joowon&no=318024&page=1

New photo!!! This is so handsome.

Dimples are killing me. Especially joo won's dimples. With that expression.

This photo turns out really good! Now we see joo won's bad guy face not his angelic face. Without smile but a cold glare. Not a white and happy background but dark and mysterious place as a background. 

P.s: i bet he was laughing and cringing after the director said cut. I remember he said that acting cool is so hard. He ended up cringing and embarrassed if he act that kind of scene. Especially in Tomorrow cantabile. Joo won often act as cool and unreachable sunbae in that drama.

• Like 1

On 1/12/2018 at 10:08 AM, moonstrike said:

There are many scene that he realize what he was doing is bad but his heart and his head always thinking about his dad who never give a proper affection to him and takgu that he thinks always win and loved by everyone. He was envy of tak gu.

All the memories made him repeat the same mistake again and eventually harm his own brother. but if you look around him, he has no one beside him. therefore he wants to make yu kyung be his. thinking about it makes me realize that he was suffering and lonely.

I agree. There were a lot of moments like that, which is why I felt bad for Ma Jun rather than getting angry at him or disliking him. 

But what I find most interesting about Ma Jun's character is that he thinks what he needs is some sort of approval from others (from the Chairman, who he wants as a father figure; or Yu Kyung, whom he has fallen in love with; or from Master Pal Bong at the bakery; etc.), but by the end, the big thing that's actually hurting him is himself. So that's why, for instance, even when he does end up marrying Yu Kyung, he can't seem to accept that she might have any genuine feelings for him: he goes back and forth between thinking she just loves him for his money/status and because she just wants to spite his mom. Or I think of the last episode where, even after Ma Jun and Tak Gu have reconciled, he still tries to find a chance to tell Tak Gu that they're not really brothers - it's still something that seems to bother him in some way. 

Point is: I like Ma Jun's journey in "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu", because its focus is on healing. It's about how he makes a lot of bad decisions due to his own poor self esteem, but also about how he learns to see himself the way others see him: as someone they love just for being himself. :) 

It makes me wonder what happens to Ma Jun after the events in the drama. We see him starting to reconcile with Yu Kyung, and also handing over the company to his noona. So I wonder what new path in life he's decided to take; too bad we don't get to see it :tongue: 

His life is a mess and so lonely too. Qu Wei Ran in the novel is so pathetic. Same as majun but Qu Wei Ran's action is more "brave", i think.

I remember JW saying the same thing about Qu Wei Ran in his interviews: he does talk about Wei Ran as the antagonist in the film, but one thing he keeps coming back to is that Wei Ran is also someone who is passionate and in love. Perhaps it's not a healthy form of love - the fact that he resorts to violence suggests to me that what he's feeling for Shu Ya Wang borders into obsession - but still no less intense because of that.

I want him to take a Warrior role!!! A lot of action and cool scene is a must in that kind of drama so we can see him fighting with the baddies in every episode. Imagining a handsome and talented warior in joseon era is something amazing for me!

That would be a lot of fun to see. Maybe it's because I'm watching "Saimdang: Light's Diary" right now, but I want to see JW take on a role like Song Seung Heon's character there: a scholar and a gentleman, but also a skilled fighter who would do anything to protect the woman he loves. :wub:

So...a more serious and mature version of Gyun Woo, perhaps? That would be nice....

I also think it would be fun to see JW playing a prince or a king in the future, too. Probably a king, actually - I don't know how often post-enlistment actors are cast as princes in K-dramas, since a lot of the flower boy potential is gone now. I want to see JW playing a wise leader who may not show what he's feeling all the time, but where you can still see it in his eyes. And you can see that he cares for his followers/people, even if he must be harsh sometimes for their own good :wub:

I remember the PD said that Park Shi On without autism is absolutely joo won. I can see why he said that. We have the same feeling, PD-nim! 

lol - I agree with that, too! It's crossed my mind several times before, and I really do think that's the case. JW and Park Si On have really similar personalities, even if JW does not have the same physical limitations that Si On does. That's something I've been trying to work into the fic I'm writing: the way that both JW and Si On have this very idealized, "there's good in everyone" view of the world, and the way that both always want to help others around them.

Hi, cute Yong pal. Or should i call him joo won. He is just in his costume but joo won is still joo won. He still himself. Look at that expression! Everyone can tell that he still not act yet. 

lol - It's funny, because there are times when JW can look so cool and charismatic while in character or when he first walks out in a public event...and then he makes a particular gesture or expression that makes him look like a total dork. A cute dork, but still a dork :tongue: 

So, like this shot from an awards ceremony, for instance:

Anyway, here are the pics for today!

Spoiler

Nice bunch of black and white photos in this collage

Looking cool with the sunglasses

04a938dfda875bc9a78a6a77e2dbbf71.jpg

Recording studio pics: I think this was from when he did the OST track for "Nae Il's Cantabile"

This shot of JW as Lee Kang To just looks so cool - like a poster

JW Fanart! Not chibi this time, but really pretty

JW's Bunny Face - again :tongue: 

d33e748118c1402bee25a9cc126fea08.jpg

The composition for this photo is really interesting

A fan-made collage of some of JW's famous crying scenes - note that I said, "Some", because this doesn't even begin to show what he's capable of!

• Like 1

So, this took me a long time, but the new fic is finally ready!

Title: Cha Seonsaengim, My Princess

Drama: "Good Doctor"

Characters: Park Si On, Cha Yoon Seo

Premise: As far as Park Si On is concerned, the world is made up of people who are either good or bad. Cha Yoon Seo, in his mind, is about as good as they can get.

Warnings: Some Korean profanity

Note: This fic covers events from Episodes 1 through 5 of the drama, and may contain spoilers for those who have not yet watched it.

Note on Language: Although the characters speak Korean, and I can reasonably expect some knowledge of common words and phrases from you guys (given we are in a Hallyu fandom forum), I do want to say a few things about how the language works in this story in particular.

In short: Park Si On's super-formal way of speaking means that I am using forms of common words and phrases that may be unfamiliar for some people. Most of us know the general distinction between jeondaemal (formal/polite language) and banmal (informal/casual language) in Korean. We tend to associate jeondaemal with the "-yo" suffix, and the banmal with the absence of a suffix; so, for instance, "gwenchanayo" (jeondaemal) vs. "gwenchana" (banmal); "aniyo" (jeondaemal) vs. "ani" (banmal), etc.

But the reality in Korean is a bit more complicated than that: there is at least one level that is even more formal than that, and that is the one that Park Si On uses for the most part. Instead of the "-yo" suffix, it'S "-imnida" - which, yes, turns all of these words into quite the mouthful.

So just for the sake of clarity, here are the terms that Park Si On uses, followed by their equivalents in jeondaemal and banmal

Animida - Aniyo (jeondaemal), Ani (banmal)

Andwaemida - Andwaeyo (jeondaemal), Andwae (banmal)

Joesonghamnida - This is the most formal way of offering an apology. From there, in descending levels of formality, to the best of my knowledge, we have "mianhamnida", then "joesonghayo", followed by "mianhaeyo", "mianhae", and "mian" (So, yes, an entirely different word - and probably one we're all more familiar with)

Transferring that same degree of formality into English, though, was a bit harder. While English does have a distinction between formal and informal language, it's definitely nowhere near as clear-cut as it is in Korean! So, for the purposes of these stories, I'm doing it by resorting to a trick other authors have used to make characters sound more "polite" or "proper": not using any contractions at all (e.g. saying "I do not want that" instead of "I don't want that"). It probably ends up sounding even more stilted than Park Si On's formal speech would in Korean, but it's the best that I can do.

Finally, one last note. Yes, I know that "doctor" in Korean is actually "uisa" - but when one is speaking to a doctor, it's supposed to be "uisa seonsaengnim" (literally "teacher of medicine"), and when shortened, as would often happen in everyday speech, it becomes "seonsaengnim" or even "seonsaeng" as opposed to "uisa".

So, all that being said...on with the fic!

Once again, please do not repost this on any other website without my permission! If you want to share it, just share the URL - thanks!

Spoiler

Cha Seonsaengnim, My Princess

When I was little, Hyung liked to tell me stories.

Hyung was not like the other boys, who made fun of me and called me names; or like Appa, who also called me names but hit me as well; or like Eomma, who only watched and cried helplessly when she could not understand what I felt.

Animida.

Hyung was different. Hyung was special. Hyung always tried to understand.

Hyung would cut off the tags inside of my clothes whose paper edges felt like knives cutting into my skin. Hyung would cover my eyes and hold me close whenever Abeoji and Eomma fought, whispering a lullaby in my ears to drown them out when my frightened screams matched theirs.

But Hyung did not just try to understand my world. Hyung also tried to help me understand his.

That is where the stories came in.

Hyung knew that although I did not talk much, I loved to read. Words on a page are simple. Black on white. Someone else had already put them there – someone smarter than me. So much smarter, in fact, that I still sometimes prefer to use their words to say what I am thinking instead of struggling to come up with my own.

Hyung knew all this about me, so he believed that this could work the other way around, too. If I could use books to help me find the right words to say, then maybe I could use books to help me understand everybody else, too.

So Hyung would read to me the books he borrowed from the library at school. Short stories. Simple stories. Stories about brave warriors and beautiful princesses. Stories where good people were always rewarded and bad people were always punished.

I loved those stories. They made sense – more sense than the real world ever did.

Later, after the accident, after Hyung went to heaven, after Appa and Eomma both left, I had only books to keep me company. I soon read through the entire collection that the orphanage had and would try to get my hands on even more.

Alone in the world, with Hyung no longer by my side, I read different stories. Stories about children who had also been left on their own to fend for themselves. Although the plots sometimes confused me, I loved books like Alice in Wonderland and Harry Potter. They were about children just like me: children who saw and knew things no-one else did, who were called “mad” when it was really everyone else who made no sense.

But I still loved those first stories Hyung read to me. The ones about brave princes and the beautiful princesses who loved them. Hyung once told me that I was as special to him as a prince, and that I would one day have a princess of my own who loved me for who I was.

I never believed him. I am not a prince, after all. If I were in Hyung’s stories at all, I would be that dumb peasant boy hidden in the background, who could only watch the princess from afar.

After all, why should a princess love a dummy like me?

~~~~~

I want to celebrate with Hyung tonight. He had always told me that I would be a good doctor, and today, it has finally happened.

I know that Hyung can see me from where he is up in heaven. I know that he is proud of me.

So I bought a box of Hyung’s favourite chocopies and set them up to look like a cake the same way he used to when we were little. I even added a candle, because it is only after a candle has been lit that a cake turns from a normal cake to a special cake for special occasions.

I always tell Hyung everything. Even if I cannot say the right words out loud, I can say them in my head. I always hold the toy scalpel Hyung had given me when I talk to him. It is the only thing left from the happy times we had spent together.

So I am telling him all about it now. I tell him about the train ride to Seoul from Taebak, about the little boy and his accident, about how I just happened to be there at the right time to help him, about how the doctors at the hospital finally accepted me as a new resident.

I might have gone further still if I had not heard noises outside. A beeping sound and then the door clicking open. Heavy footsteps as someone comes inside.

A girl.

What is she doing here? Director Choi had not said anything about a roommate. I thought I had this place all to myself. I had told him that I would like it more that way.

What should I do? I do not know. I guess most people would say something, but I cannot find the right words. They are lost somewhere in my head, and become even more lost when the girl starts getting ready for bed right in front of me.

She is not shy at all, or perhaps she cannot see me in the dark. But I am a good boy. Good boys do not peek at girls, especially when they are changing. So I look away as she takes off her clothes and only glance back once she is lying down, covered by my blanket.

Am I…am I supposed to join her?

There must be some mistake.

Slowly, I step towards her. I know that she should not be here. This is my house. My bed. My safe place away from the rest of the world.

“Jeo- jeogiyo.”

When I call the girl, she sits up. But she still cannot see me. Instead, she waves her hand in my face, shooing me away. I shrink back into the shadows as she yells out something. Something angry. I know, because there are swear words in there. I do not know why she is so mad at me, but I do smell the alcohol on her breath and that is as good a reason as any.

But then, instead of getting up, she falls back down on the bed and falls back asleep.

Should I try again?

Once she is quiet, I step back towards the bed.

How am I supposed to wake her up? Calling her did not help, and I have no other ideas.

But just then, I see something.

The moonlight shines down through the window like a spotlight on her face.

A line from one of Hyung’s stories comes to my mind: Lips red as the rose, hair black as ebony, skin white as snow.

That was the story of Snow White. That is what this girl looks like now.

How was Snow White awoken in the story?

A prince had seen her sleeping in the forest. He had fallen in love with her at first sight and given her a kiss. And that kiss had broken the witch’s spell on her.

Andwaemida. I cannot kiss her.

I am not a prince. Nor am I in love.

I do feel my pulse and respiratory rate speeding up. I do feel the blood rush up to my face so I know I am blushing. I do feel myself tense up so that I am left standing there unable to move.

But that is not love. That is just adrenalin. Part of a human’s natural fight-or-flight response.

So if she is Snow White, but I am not the prince, then who am I?

I must one of the dwarves at the beginning of the story. The ones who came home from a day at work and found the princess sleeping in their beds.

Ne. That makes more sense.

I do not know who this girl is, but I do know that she is pretty and I want to remember her face.

So I find my sketchbook and pencil and sit down on the floor next to her. Then, as quietly as I can, I draw what I see: her pretty face, white in the moonlight.

I will stay by her side until she wakes up. Just like the dwarves in the story.

But I do not know which dwarf I would be: Dopey or Doc.

~~~~~

The girl’s name is Cha Seonsaengnim. She is a doctor in the pediatric surgery department, just like me.

Cha Seonsaengnim is also one of the few people who tries to be nice to me.

I know that as my sunbae, Cha Seonsaengnim must be disappointed in me. After all, I seem to keep making mistakes. Or at least I think they are mistakes. I do not know what I am doing wrong, but every time I do or say something, someone either gives me a sad look or starts yelling at me.

I do not understand. Doctors are supposed to heal their patients. That is why we are here. So why did Professor Kim yell at me and hit me when I insisted that we operate to save a little boy’s life? Why do the other residents get upset when I say that we should try to save the premature baby?

I know that Cha Seonsaengnim is angry at me, too. I know that she thinks I did something wrong. I can tell by the way she raises her voice, by the way she jerks her hand at the other doctors like she wants to hit all three of us. As I follow her out of the washroom to one of the seating areas out in the lobby, I wonder if I am in trouble again.

But then, instead of yelling at me, Cha Seonsaengnim buys two bowls of ice cream from the canteen and tells me to sit with her. Then, in the soft and gentle voice she uses when we normally talk, she asks, “Park Si On, what do you think a doctor is?”

Right away, an answer comes to me from deep inside my memory. “It is the same as in the Hippocratic Oath. As a physician, my foremost duty is to care for my patients’ health, and save their lives. Doctors are people who think about the patient’s health and life, first and foremost.”

Cha Seonsaengnim leans forward in interest. “So, then, what do you think a patient is?”

“A patient is someone who needs a doctor’s help. If someone needs help, you need to treat him, no matter what.”

“Where did you get that from?” she asks.

“Hippocrates –”

“That’s not what it says in the Hippocratic Oath.”

I know that. I must have missed a step. That happens sometimes. My mind sometimes goes from Point A to Point C and skips over Point B.

“That is how Director Choi explained Hippocrates to me,” I explain.

Cha Seonsaengnim leans in even closer so her elbows are on the table. “I know that that’s what Director Choi thinks. But what about you? How would you put it: in your own words?”

In my own words?

Andwaemida.

Cha Seonsaengnim does not understand. I cannot say it in my own words. When I use my own words, I stammer and stutter and say the wrong things. I just look like a dummy. If I want to sound smart, I need to use a smart person’s words – Director Choi’s words.

So I just repeat myself. “If someone needs help –”

“All right. I get it. You can stop now.”

Cha Seonsaengnim sighs and her voice sounds sad. Did I say something wrong again?

“Park Si On, don’t get me wrong. I like you; I really do. Although you caused a lot of trouble these past few days, I could accept that, because you reminded me of what I was like when I first started out. I was like you: full of passion and determined to save patients.

“But now that I think about it,” she goes on, “I wonder if you have any thoughts of your own.”

I can never look someone in the eye for long. It makes me feel awkward and shy. But when Cha Seonsaengnim says that, I cannot help looking at her.

What does she mean?

“A doctor without a mind of his own is just a robot. You can’t go on like this. You need to have your own thoughts. Your own ideas. Only then can you treat patients.”

The whole time she is talking, Cha Seonsaengnim does not raise her voice. She does not yell. She is trying to be nice to me. I may be a dummy, but I can tell that much.

But when I try to answer, my mind is blank. I cannot think of anything. Not at that moment. Not that night. Not until I see Cha Seonsaengnim again the next day, when even she gets mad at me for spending so much time watching over the premature baby.

It is only then that I can answer her.

“I am not a robot. I can feel. I know that our patients want to live. That that baby wants to live. He is too young to talk, but I can see it in his hands. His hands are moving. He is alive and he wants to keep on living. He wants to see his Eomma.”

Cha Seonsaengnim understands me this time. I know, because I see her visiting the baby, too.

And Professor Kim must understand, too. Because later that day, he agrees to do the surgery.

~~~~~

Slowly, slowly, I am beginning to understand what Cha Seonsaengnim is trying to teach me.

There are so many rules in this hospital. Rules about which doctors could treat which patients. Rules about who are the leaders and who are the followers. Rules that say that I should not step in to help a patient if the child is not one of ours.

I did not understand before. But I am starting to now.

Doctors do not work alone. They are part of a team. And no matter how much I want to treat a patient, I cannot do it if it hurts someone on our team.

Cha Seonsaengnim tells me that that is why Professor Kim is not here today. Although we saved the premature baby, he still had to be punished for operating on another team’s patient. The other residents tell me that I should have been punished along with him. That it is my fault that Professor Kim is gone.

But although Cha Seonsaengnim still gets angry at me sometimes, I like her more than Professor Kim. Whenever she raises her voice, I cannot help shrinking away from her. But unlike Professor Kim, Cha Seonsaengnim notices that I am scared, and then she calms down and tries to explain more nicely.

Cha Seonsaengnim is like Hyung. Hyung also used to do that. Although he would also get upset with me, Hyung was nice. Hyung was kind.

Cha Seonsaengnim is also like a princess. Like the ones in Hyung’s stories and the books I read when I was little. Like those princesses, Cha Seonsaengnim is also nice. Cha Seonsaengnim is also kind.

Cha Seonsaengnim is also brave. Very, very brave.

Cha Seonsaengnim fights for what is right.

A little girl named Min Hee has come to the hospital today. She has aspiration pneumonia caused by intussusception. Her Eomma and Appa tell us that they had already gone to five other hospitals. None of them would help them.

Professor Kim is away, but Cha Seonsaengnim knows what to do. She tells us to give the girl antibiotics and to set up the operating room for surgery. Even when Min Hee goes into cardiac arrest, Cha Seonsaengnim knows what to do: she and Han Seonsaengnim perform CPR and manage to save Min Hee’s life.

For now.

But we do not have much time. We need to operate. Bbali. Bbali. It is the only way we can save Min Hee.

But then Department Chief Go asks to see Cha Seonsaengnim. I can hear them yelling outside, but I cannot make out all the words. Department Chief Go says something about a lawsuit, but Cha Seonsaengnim yells back that she has to try, because she is a doctor and helping patients is what doctors do.

I can see that Cha Seonsaengnim is scared when she comes back inside. She tells us that Department Chief Go will not do the surgery, and Han Seonsaengnim asks her what we should do now.

Cha Seonsaengnim does not answer right away. “I…”

I remember how Cha Seonsaengnim had believed me about the premature baby. I believe that she thinks the same way I do. I believe that she knows that trying to help the patient is the right thing to do. All she needs is to not be scared.

“We can save her. We can save her, Seonsaengnim! We have to try!”

Cha Seonsaengnim looks at me, then at Min Hee and her Eomma and Appa. She does not say anything at first. But then she suddenly says to us, “Get the patient ready for transport to the operating room.”

As Cha Seonsaengnim runs out first, Han Seonsaengnim glances at me. “I hope you’re right about this, Park Seonsaeng.”

~~~~~

“Where is Professor Kim? He’d told us to send him a live video feed.”

Han Seonsaengnim glances at Cha Seonsaengnim and shakes his head. “My call earlier got disconnected. I’ve kept trying to call back, but there’s no answer.”

What do we do now? Cha Seonsaengnim had said that everything would be all right, because Professor Kim would guide us over the phone. But if we cannot find him….

“I’d ordered you to stop!”

The loud voice ringing out from above makes me jump. It makes all of us jump. We turn to look up at the observation deck above the operating room. Department Chief Go is standing there, leaning into the intercom.

We all look at Cha Seonsaengnim.

What will she do now?

Department Chief Go frightens me, but Cha Seonsaengnim is brave. She is not scared. Although I cannot look up at him, Cha Seonsaengnim does.

“Cha Yoon Seo Seonsaeng will start the surgery now,” she says.

Department Chief Go yells down once more at us to stop. But Cha Seonsaengnim does not listen. Instead, she tells me to turn off the intercom, and I hurry to obey.

We do not have much time. We have to start – now. Bbali! Bbali!

There are too many of us inside the operating room. I stay back and watch as Cha Seonsaengnim, Han Seonsaengnim and my other sunbaes work. Min Hee’s intestines are badly tangled. Cha Seonsaengnim will need to reposition them by hand.

Careful. Careful. Careful…

“Shut up!” Woo Seonsaengnim hisses out at me.

Joesonghamnida. I did not know I had spoken out loud. I will be careful. I promise. I will not bother them anymore.

I step around so that I can see Min Hee’s face underneath the blanket.

Andwaemida.

This is bad. Very, very bad.

Min Hee is lying still. Still. Far too still.

Han Seonsaengnim looks at me. “Park Seonsaeng, is something wrong?”

I struggle to find the right words. I want to speak, but the words are lost somewhere. They will not come out.

“The – the child – the child is not moving.”

“Of course she’s not,” Woo Seonsaengnim says. “She’s under anesthesia.”

I know that. But this is different.

“That – that is not – not what I mean!”

I know that Min Hee cannot move because she is under anesthesia. But she is still alive. She should still be breathing.

But Min Hee’s chest is still. It does not rise and fall like it should.

Before I can say it, the alarm goes off. “It’s cardiac arrest!” the anesthesiologist says.

Just like in the emergency room earlier, Cha Seonsaengnim knows what to do. She calls for the defibrillator and starts CPR.

We all watch the monitor. Min Hee is recovering, but not fast enough.

What do we do now?

The defibrillator arrives, and Cha Seonsaengnim uses it. Once. Twice.

It is not enough. Min Hee’s pulse starts dropping again.

Cha Seonsaengnim performs CPR again. I can hear her begging for Min Hee to stay alive. Although I do not say anything out loud, I join her in my thoughts.

Maybe Hyung wants her to be in heaven with him. But Min Hee’s Eomma and Appa are still waiting. They want their little girl back. They love her – more than my Eomma and Appa have ever loved Hyung or me.

“Professor!”

I look up just in time to see Professor Kim step inside.

We are safe. He knows what to do – I know he does!

But it is too late. Before Professor Kim can even say anything, I hear the piercing note that indicates a flat-line.

I have always hated that sound. It is at the perfect frequency to feel like a knife piercing through my ears and into my brain. That sound always gives me a headache.

I hate it even more now. Because I know it means that Min Hee is dead.

The pain grows in my head until I can take it no longer and fall to the ground. Even when the alarm stops ringing, I can hear Cha Seonsaengnim scream as she starts to cry. I cannot make out what she is saying. Her voice is at the same pitch as that alarm. It just adds to the noise in my head.

I cannot get up to help her. Instead, I am trying to shut everything out. The noise of people yelling. The blinding bright lights in the operating room. I close my eyes, trying to imagine that Cha Seonsaengnim and I are like Alice trapped in Wonderland, or Dorothy in the land of Oz.

This is a dream. That this is not real. We just need to wake up and everything will be fine.

Good people are always rewarded. Bad people are always punished.

Cha Seonsaengnim and Min Hee are good people.

Why is this happening to them now?

~~~~~

When I get the chance, I sneak off to the morgue in the hospital. I sit in the hallway just outside of the door and talk with Hyung. Not out loud, but in my heart.

I tell Hyung what happened. I ask him to meet Min Hee when she goes up to Heaven. I tell Hyung that she must miss her Eomma and Appa very, very much – so he has to play with her and keep her company. He has to look out for her and protect her. Only then will she be happy. Only then will she not be scared.

But I want Hyung to protect Cha Seonsaengnim as well.

Cha Seonsaengnim is frightened, too. But she is alone. Min Hee’s Eomma and Appa are angry at Cha Seonsaengnim for letting their little girl die. Professor Kim is angry at Cha Seonsaengnim for being sad.

Professor Kim is angry at me, too. He does not believe in Heaven. He thinks that I am being stupid and selfish for thinking there is.

Professor Kim is wrong. Heaven is real. Not only did Director Choi say so, but I know it to be true in my heart.

Why else can I feel like Hyung is still here, watching over me?

“Park Si On, what are you doing here?”

I look up. It is Cha Seonsaengnim. She must have come here when I was too busy talking with Hyung to notice.

“You have to go. You shouldn’t be here,” she says.

It is almost like Hyung has sent Cha Seonsaengnim here. It is like he is giving her to me. I can feel his answer inside my heart: You take care of her, Si On-ah.

But how? I am just a dummy. I could not even help her inside the operating room. What can I possibly do now?

Just try, Si On-ah. She knows you care.

So I try.

“I was always there,” I say.

“Mwo?”

“When my bunny went to Heaven…when Hyung went to Heaven…I was there. Both times. This place is scary. I am scared to be here. But I know that bunny and Hyung and now Min Hee were even more scared. They were all alone. And I do not want them to be lonely. I hate thinking about that more than I feel scared to be here. So I want to keep them company.”

Cha Seonsaengnim sighs and sits down next to me.

“What I hate is when you act like a child,” she says. “Like right now. How can you possibly be so naïve?”

I turn to look at her. “You do not believe in Heaven, Seonsaengnim?”

“Mm. There’s no such thing.”

“Professor Kim Do Han said that, too.”

“That’s normal,” Cha Seonsaengnim says. “When someone dies, their friends and family will say that there is such a thing as Heaven. But to doctors like us, that doesn’t mean anything. For kids, their lives are Heaven: being loved by their parents, playing with their friends. We stole Min Hee’s Heaven from her. She will never see her parents or her friends again. And it’s all our fault.”

I shake my head. “Animida. I think that Min Hee is happy now. She is thankful that you tried to save her.”

Cha Seonsaengnim does not answer. She does not believe me.

“During my internship, something like this happened three times,” I add. “All three times, the doctors would give up and send the patient away without treating them. They were all afraid. Seonsaengnim, you are the first doctor I have seen who is brave enough to try. Director Choi told me once: ‘Curing a patient is important, but giving them a chance is even more important.’”

“‘A chance’?” Cha Seonsaengnim asks. She must be angry, because her voice grows louder. “We didn’t even have a chance!”

I glance at her again just as she starts to cry.

“One hour. If Min Hee had come to us just one hour earlier, we would have had a chance. Just one hour earlier, and I could have saved her life. When she flat-lined, I felt like my own heart had also stopped. And I couldn’t do anything!

“What do I do now, Park Si On? I don’t think I will ever forget Min Hee’s face. That image – Min Hee lying there, the flat-line monitor – is stuck in my head.”

I shake my head. I want to tell Cha Seonsaengnim that she is wrong. Min Hee is not a ghost. She is not haunting us. She is in Heaven, with bunny and Hyung.

“Animida, Seonsaengnim. That is not true –”

“What do I do now? What if…what if I remember Min Hee’s face every time I hold a scalpel? What kind of surgeon would I be then?”

Cha Seonsaengnim cries harder now. So hard that she cannot talk anymore.

What do I do now?

I have seen Cha Seosaengnim angry before. I have seen her scared before. But I have never seen her sad before.

And Cha Seonsaengnim should not be sad. I do not want her to be sad. I do not want her to think this is her fault. I want her to know that Min Hee forgives her.

But how do I say that?

I tried with words, but the words did not work. I thought that talking to Cha Seonsaengnim would help, but I have just made her even more upset.

What did Hyung do when I was sad? When I was scared?

Hyung used to hug me. Hyung used to hold me close. Hyung used to pat me on the shoulder or rub his hand in circles on my back.

Is that what I should do for Cha Seonsaengnim now?

I do not know.

I have been hugged and patted before. But I have never hugged or patted someone else before.

What if she does not like it? The same way that I do not always like being touched?

But I cannot think of anything else to do. So I have to try.

Slowly, I reach out a hand towards Cha Seonsaengnim. She is still crying and does not notice me. Slowly, slowly, I lean in closer.

But Cha Seonsaengnim is too far away. The chairs we are sitting in are too far apart. Even when I stretch out my hand all the way, I still cannot touch her shoulder.

Just then, Cha Seonsaengnim’s phone rings. I startle at the sudden noise and pull back into my seat. By the time Cha Seonsaengnim answers, it is like I have not moved at all.

It is Professor Kim. I do not hear what he says, but I do see Cha Seonsaengnim hang up.

Quickly, Cha Seonsaengnim gets up.

“Kim Do Han, you gae saekki!”

I stare at her. “Seonsaengnim, you should not use words like that! That is a very, very bad word!”

Cha Seonsaengnim must have forgotten I was there, because she looks surprised when she looks at me. “Mianhae,” she says. “It’s just that….” She waves the phone in her hand. “Professor Kim wants me to meet him in the operating room. Apparently, there’s another emergency now. Appendicitis. We need to operate right away. But I…but I….”

“You can do it, Seonsaengnim,” I say. I give her a thumbs-up. “You can do it! Because Seonsaengnim is good, and smart, and very, very brave.”

I think that cheers Cha Seonsaengnim up a little bit, because she gives me a small smile. But maybe not, because her eyes are dull like someone who is still sad.

“Komawo, Park Si On,” she says. “I’ll do my best.”

Then, she adds, “Are you coming with me?”

Cha Seonsaengnim is my sunbae. If she tells me to follow her, I will obey. But she sounds like she wants me to choose.

I do want to help Cha Seonsaengnim. But I also want to help Min Hee….

I shake my head. “Andwaemida. Min Hee is still here. She will be lonely if I go. And I want to wait for her Eomma and Appa as well.”

I reach into my pocket and take out Min Hee’s shirt, which I had folded up and tucked inside. “I have to give them this first. Can I…can I do that, Seonsaengnim? You will not be angry if I stay here?”

Cha Seonsaengnim shakes her head. “I won’t be mad; I promise. You are quite brave yourself, Park Si On – at least you have it in you to face Min Hee’s parents. That’s better than what I can do right now. So stay here and wait for them if you want. I will explain to the professor for you.”

She turns and leaves then, and I am once again all by myself. Animida. Not all by myself. Because I know that Min Hee is still here. And Hyung. And bunny.

I do not know what is so brave about meeting Min Hee’s parents. I am not scared of them. Of course they cry when I give Min Hee’s shirt back to them. But that makes sense. Because they will miss their little girl very, very much.

So why did Cha Seonsaengnim say I was brave? I do not know. I do not understand.

But what I do know is that I do not just want her to help me anymore.

Cha Seonsaengnim is good. Cha Seonsaengnim is kind. Cha Seonsaengnim is like the princesses in the stories Hyung told me.

And I want to help her. To protect her. Like the brave warriors and princes in those same stories.

What a team we would make.

The princess and the dummy.

Beauty and the Beast.

Author's Note (in "Hidden Content" because of possible spoilers)

Spoiler

I did say at one point that this was a very challenging story to write, and I still stand by that.

The focus of today's behind-the-scenes Author's Note is about the one thing that really made this a harder story to write than I had originally anticipated: creating a voice for Park Si On.

Now, I know that I have already given a rather extensive note about how Park Si On uses language a bit differently than most Koreans, and how I have chosen to render his more formal level of speech in English.

But a voice in this case is not just about what words or phrases someone uses. It's about how they go about communicating their thoughts/feelings to the reader.

I will confess that there's probably no way I can fully capture what it is like to be Park Si On. I can read about autism, but I can't live it - so there is, inevitably, that fear that I'm just getting it all wrong.

However, there were a few clues in the drama itself that helped to give me some sense of how Park Si On saw the world around him. And the one that featured the most in this particular fic is the use of stories and characters from stories. So, for instance, we see Park Si On referring to a pregnant patient's mean mother-in-law as the Evil Queen from "Snow White", or comparing Cha Yoon Seo's blind date match to Voldemort from the "Harry Potter" series. Add that to the fact that we know Park Si On is a prolific reader when he wants to be, and the idea of him growing up reading a lot of children's books and fairy tales came to mind.

On top of that, we also know that Park Si On has a tendency to use other people's words and ideas to express himself. Like the scene when he mentions Hippocrates when Cha Yoon Seo asks him what a doctor is and what a patient is. FYI: the line he gives does not show up in any English version of the Hippocratic Oath I could find. Maybe it does in the Korean version, but not in English, that's for sure. So I had to find some way to explain that, because reciting the oath incorrectly wouldn't make sense for someone with Park Si On's memory.

Another challenging thing in writing Park Si On's perspective is how he works with emotion. He doesn't feel emotion any less than the others around him. What he does struggle with, though, because of his autism is 1) getting the subtle nuances of people's emotional cues, and 2) communicating/expressing his own feelings. So, for instance, Park Si On has to rely on a rather limited set of cues like the volume of someone's voice in order to grasp how they're feeling: a raised voice means anger, a smile means happiness, a hand that's poised to strike means impending violence, a calm voice means kindness, etc. It's not always accurate, but it's what he has to work with. So I tried to show that by having a more limited range of speech tags (i.e. words like "said", "asked", etc.); with some other narrating characters, I can use a lot of different tags, as I can assume they would know what others are feeling based off, say, the tone of one's voice. But Park Si On can't do that as well. So, when writing him, I limit myself to "say" or "ask", and have to try to see how he might go about picking up on people's emotions.

I also tried to show that in the pacing of Park Si On's narration: short phrases, oftentimes incomplete sentences, really short paragraphs...these indicate pauses as he tries to get his thoughts together. Repetition of ideas and phrases is another quirk of his that we know shows up in his speech ("Bbali, bbali", anyone?), so I tried to work that into his thoughts as well. Finally, I use a lot of proper names and titles here, and not as many pronouns (e.g. using "Hyung" over and over again instead of just using it once, then switching to "he"); that's also something that hints at how Park Si On views the people around him: as intrinsically linked to the position they hold.

Once again, if anyone wants to access my other fanfics on this site as well as other Hallyu-related writings, you can find a complete list under the "About Me" tab on my profile page. Enjoy!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, kittyna said:

But what I find most interesting about Ma Jun's character is that he thinks what he needs is some sort of approval from others (from the Chairman, who he wants as a father figure;

There's a scene where he gave the palbong bread recipe to his dad (the chairman) but his dad was not interested. It's like he did not consider his son's struggle. After the dad said he don't want it, Ma Jun face changed. He was upset. I was disappointed and feel sorry towards Ma Jun. Even though I know that his dad said that he didn't want it because that recipe is from his master's rival. At least, show some encouragement or acknowledge his effort and then advise him that what he did was not good. So Ma jun might understand and will not do that again. I once thought that Ma would probably return to the right path if he was noticed by his family. and also given a proper affection. Not for power and pride that his mother want to give but a real love, mother love. He is thirsty for love. He might stop acting like that if he feels someone is beside him.

but by the end, the big thing that's actually hurting him is himself. So that's why, for instance, even when he does end up marrying Yu Kyung, he can't seem to accept that she might have any genuine feelings for him: he goes back and forth between thinking she just loves him for his money/status and because she just wants to spite his mom.

Personaly, i was more interested by the second couple rather than the main couple. It's because i think their story is so unique. You know, Ma Jun and Yu Kyung were just a fascinating couple in general–the ways that their weaknesses complemented each other, their anger and resentment and cruelty. I really wish we could have had more time with the two of them together. 

That would be a lot of fun to see. Maybe it's because I'm watching "Saimdang: Light's Diary" right now, but I want to see JW take on a role like Song Seung Heon's character there: a scholar and a gentleman, but also a skilled fighter who would do anything to protect the woman he loves. :wub:

Or a painful warrior that fight for his kingdom. Something dramatic and makes you cry and addicted. I always amazed by his acting skill when he act a sorrowful and pathetic scene. Its like i see someone who really did experience it.

I want him to take sageuk drama again but with different genre. Maybe in Silla dynasty or it can also in Joseon era. Or he can take a soldier role! He never act one yet. Since he will be finish his military, it can be that joo won want to feel and wear a military clothes again. So we can see him again with that uniform in every angles plus action.

P.s: i was addicted by dramatic and sad genre now.

On 1/12/2018 at 11:50 PM, kittyna said:

I also think it would be fun to see JW playing a prince or a king in the future, too. Probably a king, actually - I don't know how often post-enlistment actors are cast as princes in K-dramas, since a lot of the flower boy potential is gone now. I want to see JW playing a wise leader who may not show what he's feeling all the time, but where you can still see it in his eyes. And you can see that he cares for his followers/people, even if he must be harsh sometimes for their own good :wub:

It would be nice! I also want him to play a king role. A very wise king. Or he could have played the prince but a prince who had an inner wound or suffering inside him. a prince who falls in love with someone but they can not be together. Such a dramatic drama, right? It will have a lot of tragedy in it. Aaahhh ... I have a lot of imagination in my brain. 

lol - I agree with that, too! It's crossed my mind several times before, and I really do think that's the case. JW and Park Si On have really similar personalities, even if JW does not have the same physical limitations that Si On does. That's something I've been trying to work into the fic I'm writing: the way that both JW and Si On have this very idealized, "there's good in everyone" view of the world, and the way that both always want to help others around them.

Joo won always said that park shi on and him is similar. He said that sometimes he took out some of his real personality inside him while acting as park shi on. Aww... I love his personality! And also Park shi on. Both are so cute and a dork! 

lol - It's funny, because there are times when JW can look so cool and charismatic while in character or when he first walks out in a public event...and then he makes a particular gesture or expression that makes him look like a total dork. A cute dork, but still a dork :tongue: 

He do that a lot. He always walk coolly and pose with a charismatic gaze. But once he talk and do something, we can just see him as a cute little big kid. Like he do in some movie launch event or his drama's press conference. 

11 hours ago, kittyna said:

Title: Cha Seonsaengim, My Princess

Drama: "Good Doctor"

Characters: Park Si On, Cha Yoon Seo

Premise: As far as Park Si On is concerned, the world is made up of people who are either good or bad. Cha Yoon Seo, in his mind, is about as good as they can get.

Warnings: Some Korean profanity

Finally!!! Another fanfic of Good Doctor. I was really impressed with you because you can imagine what is park shi on thinking in that scene. Also you can sync all the scenes with what you want to write. good job * thumbs up * !!

Pics!!

His cute face again. And also his natural face without make up. He is still the same! Even though its been quite long time since he enlisted. 

One of the the best drama soundtrack in 2017! Great job uri joo won!

Our joo won's growth... in photos! He is so cute and never changes.

The charismatic Moon Joon Won

I miss the maknae.. i miss his cute aegyo. I miss his behavior towards the hyungs. I miss his pout when he doesn't get dinner. wish him to do variety again after military. By the way, this is so sad...

The cool and handsome senpai is coming!!!

By the way, can you tell me in which episode that Yoo jin speak English? I'm very curious.. 

Hi cutie!!

• Like 2

I had something going on today - and will also have something tomorrow - that prevents me from posting at my usual time. But I'm free now, so here goes!

On 1/13/2018 at 11:36 AM, moonstrike said:

I once thought that Ma would probably return to the right path if he was noticed by his family. and also given a proper affection. Not for power and pride that his mother want to give but a real love, mother love. He is thirsty for love. He might stop acting like that if he feels someone is beside him.

So I like that the baker and Tak Gu were able to do that in the long run :) 

But otherwise...yeah, Ma Jun had a pretty messed up family life. And knowing from such a young age that he's being used by his mom and his biological dad for their own ambitions really just scarred him for life. :( 

Personaly, i was more interested by the second couple rather than the main couple. It's because i think their story is so unique. You know, Ma Jun and Yu Kyung were just a fascinating couple in general–the ways that their weaknesses complemented each other, their anger and resentment and cruelty. I really wish we could have had more time with the two of them together. 

I think that in terms of a love story, Ma Jun and Yu Kyung's story was the main one, whereas Tak Gu and Mi Sun's was more secondary. Ma Jun and Yu Kyung had a more complex story that got more attention in the drama. I think the main rival for it would be the story between Tak Gu and Yu Kyung; I know a lot of people were rooting for them, and I initially thought she would choose Tak Gu as well. But seeing her choose Ma Jun also made a lot of sense, given everyone's situations. 

Or he could have played the prince but a prince who had an inner wound or suffering inside him. a prince who falls in love with someone but they can not be together. Such a dramatic drama, right? It will have a lot of tragedy in it. Aaahhh ... I have a lot of imagination in my brain. 

Okay, very quickly: if you haven't seen the Korean movie "The Throne", you should. No, it doesn't have JW in it, but it's a really sad movie about the tragic and broken relationship between a crown prince and his father (i.e. the king). Yoo Ah In played the prince there, and that was my first time seeing him as an actor...man, was I impressed!

If JW could take on a role like that someday...that would be so epic awesome. Super sad, but also super awesome. :) 

I was really impressed with you because you can imagine what is park shi on thinking in that scene. Also you can sync all the scenes with what you want to write. good job * thumbs up * !!

You don't want to know how many times I rewatched the scenes I used while writing the fics to make it work. :tongue: I really do just watch them over and over again, trying to get everything I want. I don't bother getting the lines exact - because I know that that will vary from site to site and translator to translator - but things like who's doing what, expressions, gestures, events, etc...it takes a long time to really be able to 1) pick up all those details, then 2) figure out how I want to describe them.

And I note the thumbs-up - is Park Si On rubbing off on you as well? :wink: 

The cool and handsome senpai is coming!!!

By the way, can you tell me in which episode that Yoo jin speak English? I'm very curious.. 

I can answer that. Cha Yoo Jin had some English lines in Episode 16, during the competition in Salzburg. He starts off with German, but then when it's clear to the woman overseeing the competition that Nae Il didn't know German, she and Yoo Jin both switched to English so that Nae Il could understand them.

Lucky for JW, then, because while I think his English is okay - he can't speak it on the fly in a real conversation, but his pronunciation is fine with a script - he was having a much harder time with the German lines, if I remember from "Life Log".

So any suggestion on the drama's part that Yoo Jin is fluent in German would have needed some imagination from the viewers :tongue: Fortunately, I'm okay with just imagining Yoo Jin's good at it even if JW is not :D 

And now for pics!

Spoiler

This shot just looks gorgeous!

A collage of pictures featuring JW as Qu Wei Ran in "Sweet Sixteen"

JW in the snow for Mountia - again

Another set of funny photos from the cafe scene in "Life Log"

You shared pictures of the cool Cha Yoo Jin, @moonstrike, so I'll answer with a funny one: the sandwich run!

9498f0d95d294e9a8bb1a671a49cef4a.jpg

This one just looks cool

Nice hat, oppa!

I like the colour editing in this one

• Like 1

Better late than never - here I am with today's installment of pics!

I will be able to go back to my normal posting routine after this, so thanks for your patience during these past few days :) 

Spoiler

"Nae Il's Cantabile" Behind the Scenes - I get what's happening in the bottom picture, but the first one's confusing me a bit, in a funny sort of way. It's like JW's just going to Shim Eun Kyung, "Okay, just spit it out..."

"Yong Pal" Behind the Scenes - JW and Kim Mi Kyung

Is it just me, or did we just manage to find a Gu Ma Jun "meong" face? (Middle photo on the right hand side)

"Oppan Gangnam Style!"

Really nice shot of JW in "Fatal Intuition"

A collage of several of JW's characters

JW looking really cool as Cha Yoo Jin in "Nae Il's Cantabile"

And JW just being dorky and cute as himself :tongue: 

Just a recap: this was from the KBS "Entertainment Weekly" interview he did to promote "Fashion King" (although he had already transitioned into his Cha Yoo Jin-look by then). He made a guest appearance at the night parade in Lotte World.

• Like 1

On 1/14/2018 at 8:24 AM, kittyna said:

But otherwise...yeah, Ma Jun had a pretty messed up family life. And knowing from such a young age that he's being used by his mom and his biological dad for their own ambitions really just scarred him for life. :( 

Poor him... his life is pathetic. He just a puppet for his mother and his biological father. He doesn't have his own life. From childhood, he's been educated like that. he also never noticed by his father. All the behavior he has done so far only to get his father's attention. if seen, maybe Ma jun only given money by his father.

Then his mother is also one of the factors causing behavior ma jun. In the end, Ma jun hates his own family for having made himself that way. He also don't want to forgive them because all of their behavior and made his life a mess.

I think that in terms of a love story, Ma Jun and Yu Kyung's story was the main one, whereas Tak Gu and Mi Sun's was more secondary. Ma Jun and Yu Kyung had a more complex story that got more attention in the drama. I think the main rival for it would be the story between Tak Gu and Yu Kyung; I know a lot of people were rooting for them, and I initially thought she would choose Tak Gu as well. But seeing her choose Ma Jun also made a lot of sense, given everyone's situations. 

Usually people see Mi sun and tak gu couple as the main couple because they are the lead character. But if you look more, as you said, majun and yu kyung seems has more complicated story than the other. Tak gu life also not focus to his love but to his confidence and his strength to make his life better. So people is more interested to the "second" couple that has more interesting stories and makes the audience curious what will happen next. 

There is also plot twist where yu kyung finally got married to ma jun and not tak gu who is her first love. So that makes their love story more interesting. People like to watch something they do not expect. Especially me! I was so excited when i watch that episode. 

If JW could take on a role like that someday...that would be so epic awesome. Super sad, but also super awesome. :) 

I hope someday he take that kind of role too! A character that has so many pain inside him. That will be daebak awesome!

And I note the thumbs-up - is Park Si On rubbing off on you as well? :wink: 

Hahaha... he is so cute when he do that thumbs up scene. He looks very happy and it just like a child. So pure and playful.

Lucky for JW, then, because while I think his English is okay - he can't speak it on the fly in a real conversation, but his pronunciation is fine with a script - he was having a much harder time with the German lines, if I remember from "Life Log".

Yeahh... i think like that too. His english is okay and almost great. His pronunciation is good. (I've heard him talk english in front of camera.) And also, he understands what the MC saying when they talk english with him. But i think he is not confident to speak his answer out loud in english. Just like when he's facing a quiz in 1N2D. So he will wait his translator to translate it for him. Just to make him sure. If he answer in english and that is wrong. It will be embarrassing for him. He just don't want that to happen. It also takes a long time. So he anticipated that with a translator beside him. 

Pictures!!!!

Selfie time...

Who thinks joo won is a good dancer?!! He can be a k-pop member with his talent of singing and dancing. 

Hey handsome man!!! 

Another lovely picture of him

Joo won holding a long gun(?) With serious (and handsome) expression! So charismatic!!!

P.s: click the arrow to see the next picture.

Who is this cute tiny baby???

Tomorrow cantabile sketch!!! Great!

Joo won in frees day... he was so young back then. Innocent and naive look

There is news that the government will shorten the service time of the military. if true, then joo won could have finished military on 30 januari 2019. This has not been confirmed yet. But I hope that's true ...

http://m.dcinside.com/view.php?id=joowon&no=318213&page=1

• Like 1

2 hours ago, moonstrike said:

Poor him... his life is pathetic. He just a puppet for his mother and his biological father. He doesn't have his own life. From childhood, he's been educated like that. he also never noticed by his father. All the behavior he has done so far only to get his father's attention. if seen, maybe Ma jun only given money by his father.

To be fair, I wonder now in hindsight whether the Chairman treated Ma Jun the way he did because he knew how any favour or affection would be used by Ma Jun's biological parents. Ma Jun is simply caught in the middle of a massive power struggle within the older generation, which he makes clear when he apologizes for being born - that was one of the saddest moments in the entire drama for me, because, really, Ma Jun had no choice over who his parents were nor how he would be treated because of that. Does he need to take responsibility for his own actions? Yes, and I think he acknowledges that. But knowing that the odds were stacked so strongly against him from the start due to something beyond his choice...that's just harsh.

There is also plot twist where yu kyung finally got married to ma jun and not tak gu who is her first love. So that makes their love story more interesting. People like to watch something they do not expect. Especially me! I was so excited when i watch that episode. 

I don't remember where, but I once saw an article that mentioned "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" as one of those dramas where the second lead got the girl. Which, in all honesty, is true. However, the irony about "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" is that what actually happens is a reverse of the typical drama trope. Usually, the first male lead is the standoffish, arrogant guy who the girl ends up falling for, while the second male lead is her really nice best friend/childhood friend who likes the girl but ends up losing her to the first male lead. So if we're actually looking carefully, Ma Jun is the second male lead who gets the girl...but he's the one with the typical "first lead" personality, whereas Tak Gu has the "second lead" type of personality :tongue: 

Yeahh... i think like that too. His english is okay and almost great. His pronunciation is good. (I've heard him talk english in front of camera.) And also, he understands what the MC saying when they talk english with him. But i think he is not confident to speak his answer out loud in english. Just like when he's facing a quiz in 1N2D. So he will wait his translator to translate it for him. Just to make him sure. If he answer in english and that is wrong. It will be embarrassing for him. He just don't want that to happen. It also takes a long time. So he anticipated that with a translator beside him. 

I just remember the one time I did hear him struggling with English - it was the time that there were a bunch of overseas guests on 1N2D, and JW was assigned to partner up with a Korean-American guest. The hyungs asked him to chat with the guest, but JW wound up completely lost: like, he knew what he wanted to say (something along the lines of, "Are you tired?"), but he just got so jumbled up when he was put on the spot that I wound up both finding it cute and feeling bad for him at the same time. Eventually, he and the guest made it work (JW could understand English fine, and the guest could understand Korean fine, so JW just spoke to him in Korean and the guy would reply in English), but those first few "getting to know you" minutes were just so awkward :confounded:

But hearing JW give his English lines in dramas, I can tell he's fine when he knows exactly what he wants to say - he just needs some time/help getting the full sentence together. Some Korean actors struggle to make themselves understood in English, because they have a stronger accent, but JW, while he's still got the accent, is something I can follow rather easily. Probably because his background in (musical) theatre meant that he had to pay a lot of attention to enunciating clearly anyway - the only time he struggles with that bit is when he uses his aegyo voice, and then everything just sort of blurs together :tongue: 

I've sometimes come across JW speaking - or attempting to speak - other languages, too. Chinese, of course, and German - but I also remember hearing him try Japanese when he has fan meetings in Japan. :) There was this moment in the 2013 fan meeting in Tokyo when he said that he wanted to be his own host, without an emcee (it was during the second half - the concert half), and he eventually reveals that he had written notes on his hand to help him with the language :) 

Spoiler

Just on a non-JW-related side note, the two Korean celebrities whom I've seen actually fluent enough in English to carry on a spontaneous conversation are Sung Si Kyung and Im Si Wan. :wink: 

And now for some pics of my own:

Spoiler

JW recording "I Believe" for "My Sassy Girl"

JW's wink - or at least an attempt at one? lol - he's doing it better than me, at least! (I can't wink at all :tongue:)

"FIGHTING!"

This is just a really nice shot - not much more to say than that

d543f0ef642d6d827758a3a0310b3dec.jpg

I remember, when I watched this bit on 1N2D, thinking that I really liked how JW covered his hair with a towel like that. I seldom saw guys doing it - mostly girls - but hey, whatever works, right?

I've heard that JW was rather, um, hyper during the press conference for "My Sassy Girl", but this is the first photo that I've seen that really shows that.

21240fd8f2c5ae92cc211c98908a3287.jpg

JW as Seo Ki Woong in "Clocking Out" - This was definitely an interesting character introduction!

219d069a7aa86b39134442f2d3ac6ff2.jpg

And this collage was, if I recall correctly, from a "Fashion King" promo/interview

7fafbc66d6c701ac105b9b0ec226ef09.jpg

• Like 2

18 hours ago, kittyna said:

don't remember where, but I once saw an article that mentioned "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" as one of those dramas where the second lead got the girl. Which, in all honesty, is true. However, the irony about "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu" is that what actually happens is a reverse of the typical drama trope. Usually, the first male lead is the standoffish, arrogant guy who the girl ends up falling for, while the second male lead is her really nice best friend/childhood friend who likes the girl but ends up losing her to the first male lead. So if we're actually looking carefully, Ma Jun is the second male lead who gets the girl...but he's the one with the typical "first lead" personality, whereas Tak Gu has the "second lead" type of personality :tongue: 

Ha! Just like some other drama that i already watch. The first lead is a cool and unreachable man also doesn't have interest for love. First, the girl was really like the second lead that has an outgoing personality and also always there for her. But after meeting the first male lead, she change and chase the first lead. Making the second lead hurt..

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

just remember the one time I did hear him struggling with English - it was the time that there were a bunch of overseas guests on 1N2D, and JW was assigned to partner up with a Korean-American guest. The hyungs asked him to chat with the guest, but JW wound up completely lost: like, he knew what he wanted to say (something along the lines of, "Are you tired?"), but he just got so jumbled up when he was put on the spot that I wound up both finding it cute and feeling bad for him at the same time. Eventually, he and the guest made it work (JW could understand English fine, and the guest could understand Korean fine, so JW just spoke to him in Korean and the guy would reply in English), but those first few "getting to know you" minutes were just so awkward :confounded:

Its kinda funny when the hyungs asking joo won "did he know and can speak english?" joo won is surprised and answer that he just can understand it and speak a little bit of it. But after that, they are get along together well. They can understand each other even though they spoke with their own language sometimes. 

19 hours ago, kittyna said:

I've sometimes come across JW speaking - or attempting to speak - other languages, too. Chinese, of course, and German - but I also remember hearing him try Japanese when he has fan meetings in Japan. :) There was this moment in the 2013 fan meeting in Tokyo when he said that he wanted to be his own host, without an emcee (it was during the second half - the concert half), and he eventually reveals that he had written notes on his hand to help him with the language :)

I remember that... he want to interact with the audience on his own without an MC beside him. He talk japanese quite well just like when he speaks thai language. The audience seems understand what he was talking. Joo won worked hard to learn language of country he want to visit. Even though its just some words. I know that he flew from korea to destination without resting. So it's a good thing that he still learn and know some words and the meanings of the language.

Pics!!

Still the same. Cute and handsome..

Hey awesome!!! Nice to know and love you...

Just a vitamin for your day...

Joo won playing cards... he is great!!!

Handsome postman in his uniform.

• Like 1

The first lead is a cool and unreachable man also doesn't have interest for love. First, the girl was really like the second lead that has an outgoing personality and also always there for her. But after meeting the first male lead, she change and chase the first lead. Making the second lead hurt..

Hm...I'm trying to think whether JW has actually had such a storyline as the first male lead before. Okay, he does consistently get the girl, and he does often play those with the "cool and unreachable" personality, but in contrast to a second male lead that you've described? I suppose "Nae Il's Cantabile" comes close, but the second male lead in that case (Lee Yoon Hoo) only shows up after Cha Yoo Jin and Seol Nae Il are already more-or-less together. Hm...something to think about: has JW had such a storyline before...?

Its kinda funny when the hyungs asking joo won "did he know and can speak english?" joo won is surprised and answer that he just can understand it and speak a little bit of it. But after that, they are get along together well. They can understand each other even though they spoke with their own language sometimes. 

I think everyone assumed he'd be good at English because he's the maknae, but nope :tongue: Again, it's not that he's bad at it, it's just that he wasn't the best at it - plus, the fact that he was caught off guard made him even more jumbled up than usual.

I remember that... he want to interact with the audience on his own without an MC beside him. He talk japanese quite well just like when he speaks thai language. The audience seems understand what he was talking. Joo won worked hard to learn language of country he want to visit. Even though its just some words. I know that he flew from korea to destination without resting. So it's a good thing that he still learn and know some words and the meanings of the language.

More often than not, effort is appreciated either as much as or even more than accuracy - and JW has that working in his favour, at least. He's not afraid to mess up :) So he always wants to try: if he gets it right, he's really happy; but if he gets it wrong...he knows how to laugh it off and not let that get to him.

And now for pics!

Spoiler

A couple of fun behind-the-scenes shots from "My Sassy Girl"

Finger hearts

JW with Minnie Mouse ears - CUTE!

In response to your photo-set from "Nae Il's Cantabile", here's one from me

JW during the 2014 Hong Kong fan meeting

Here's hoping he's staying warm!

He's sleeping so peacefully in this pic

b320f55460374b21fdc639a689878bdc.jpg

Loving his smirk from "Clocking Out" :glasses:

Last one for today: a behind-the-scenes shot from "King of Baking, Kim Tak Gu"