Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

Thanks for organising @partyon and @flutterby06 for the cute idea.

Joowonites - Your love for Joowon really warms my heart. 

friend anime gif GIF

Sorry that my answers are pretty lacklustre, but blame my faulty memory rather than the man of the day ;)

Happy anniversairy of this thread to this amazing actor! Thanks everyone for being here and making this thread so lively (and the place to be)! 

1) How you met Joo Won first? First impression?

First impression? Hard to say, as my memory, is as I say, pretty bad. However, I know that I was impressed by Joo Won's acting (seeing him in motion). as for his appearance - he has very unique looks in this Korean celebrity landscape. Sometimes other actors can look like someone else in one photo or so, but that would never happen to Joo Won (at least for me, so far). His face in particular is of a distinct composition - especially his eyes and cheeks - very cute haha. Of course, he looks great, has that charm. As for his acting, I really liked it that after a few projects I watched Bridal Mask - despite my hesitance in picking up old dramas (as they mostly don't age well)

Last impression: Wow this guy is cute, he writes a lot of captions on his instagram stories. I've never seen someone do so many various writings there ahah. 

2) (if you remember) at which point you thought you became a fan of Joo Won?

In between Good Doctor/Yong Pal ? I watched it when it aired, I think but it takes several projects for me to "like" someone. So as some know, my ultimate oppa is Ji Chang Wook. I am strange in the sense that I can't call myself fan of anyone else, nor anyone else oppa, as I need the distinction between my ultimate oppa and everyone else :D Not to say that the others are lacking, it's just JCW has captured my whole heart - However, I do have a list of actors I respect and like, and Joo Won is definitely on it! I do take notice of his new projects, like to see what he is up to. etc.  Also, he seems like a down-to-earth, nice guy, which is also one of the reasons I start to like him:

10932391%25A3%25DF887049401380424%25A3%2

3) What made you join Joo Won Soompi thread?

The amazing, cool, nice people! It's always nice to drop by Joowon thread as people are warm and full of Joo Won love, ready to share their love of Joo Won and introduce him to others, who may not know Joo Won as well. So kudos for this, for making me welcome, despite not being a "fan". 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 6

Here are my answers. :kiss_wink:

I saw Joo Won for the first time when Naeil's Cantabile aired. That was back in 2014. I didn't find the drama very good, and I didn't really become fond of Joo Won's prickly character Cha Yoo Jin. Actually I didn't really like any of the characters in the drama, but I did finish the drama despite not feeling very engaged about it. :joy:

Later I would watch the original Japanese version, and found it better... :grimace:

I became a fan of Joo Won later, when Alice aired. I dropped the drama fairly early on, but Joo Won's more mature aura had already mesmerized me. So I thought I would watch a drama chingus on this thread recommended.

I chose Good Doctor. This was an easy choice for me because I am a Moon Chae Won fan too.

I was SUPER impressed by Joo Won's acting in Good Doctor, and that's when I realized that he's a great actor.

Him having nice abs in 2020 and 2021 also helps. Yes, I am shallow like that.

:loolz:

I joined the thread because I wanted to get recommendations on Joo Won dramas, and thanks to all the chingus here, I was converted into a Joo Won fan.

:luvarrow:

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

Dear friends

I have been an ardent kdrama fan since I first watched ‘DongYi’. Over all the decade, this ahjumma got to ‘know’ tons of kstars. But, Wonnie remains my #1 in my idol list. 

1) How you met Joo Won first? First impression?

Watched Wonnie’s first kdrama ( Baker king ) with the family. Was very fascinated with his deep intense stare.. as if he can burn into the other party eyes. His acting at that time was a bit stony, but the bad rich ( pathetic ) boy left a strong good impression on us, and that didn’t stop us from following his next drama. 

2) To me, Wonnie comes across as very humble, shy, diligent, ‘real’ and respectful. He gets deep into a character- seriously learnt the personalities and made the characters so real. Some of his shows may not be that fantastic but his acting made a huge difference in the show. Example, Alice, Cantabile.  
Ahem, I personally think he may not network widely to gain favours as much as some actors. So he has to sincerely work extra hard to win the fans and producers hearts.  That, I truly respect in an actor. I think thats why he won 2 awards from the Producers. 

I didn’t know there is this wonnie thread until recently I searched for the launch of movie Carter. So delighted to know all of you! Virtual hugs from Singapore. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 3

My first and only Joo Won drama is ALICE .  At the time the drama started, the idea of a main character having no emotions was like ... :blink:  However, I found Joo Won's portrayal of this character, and the struggles with feelings the character was unprepared for was compelling - In the end, the problem with ALICE was that horrible ending( story/writing in the final 2 episodes), not Joo Won or any of the other actors

Again, I was impressed what he did with the character Jin-Gyeom, so suffice it to say, fan from the first drama. 

If I recall correctly, chatter about the thread spilled over in some other thread I was visiting, and someone mentioned an ALICE second season ( OMG, please, No ... not until you fix the first season ... hey, its time travel ... can do easy )  so I found my way here ... this latest time I got tagged ... thanks @partyon

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Blob 3

It's soooo nice to come to the thread and read everyone's replies to @flutterby06's questions :partyblob:

thank you so much @partyonfor turning this into an event and to everyone who participates^^

my replies aren't very exciting and some of you already know what I'm about to write so I'll try to keep it short (loling at myself because I'm horrible at keeping things short)

I actually first "met" Joo Won in a soompi article about actors who were serving in the military in 2018 and sang the national anthem for Memorial Day. Back then I clicked on the article because of Ji Chang Wook ( @agenth will be happy to read that^^) but I remember thinking that the guy on the far right looked really interesting and very different from any other Korean celebrity I had seen so far. But that was the extent of it (sadly).

I properly met Joo Won not too long ago when I decided to finally watch Good Doctor, which had been on my Netflix-to-watch-list forever. I was so impressed by Joo Won's acting, I looked him up pretty quickly. And then I watched Alice right after and that was when I was completely mindblown. The contrast between those two Joo Won's was just so huge. His stance, his voice, his movements and body language - everything; it was like I was watching someone else completely. Of course the 2 characters he was portraying were vastly different too but it was like there was no trace of "Joo Won" at all from one character to the other. There had been several good actors I had admired up to that point, but Joo Won's acting just stood apart for me. That was also the time I started becoming a fan^^

2)  (if you remember) at which point you thought you became a fan of Joo Won?

I think what turned me into a true fan was when I watched him in 1N2D. For one, I realized what a huge difference there is between Joo Won's actual personality and the characters I had seen him play up to that point - and that drove it home even more clearly what a gifted actor he is. And then, seeing what a warmhearted, sincere and considerate human being he is made me appreciate and respect him on a whole other level too. In fact, the more I learn about him, the more I love him. His commitment to his values (even if those make him different from others and not "mainstream cool"), in not changing the things that make him who he is at heart, is very inspiring to me :wub:

I don't remember how I stumbled on the soompi thread but I remember being really happy that I did^^ Joo Won's international fans on twitter were very few and not very vocal and finding a place where I could gush about Joo Won and learn more about him from fellow fans and long-time fans was (and is!!) such a gift^^

Thanks so much to everyone who kept this thread going over the years (esp @kittynaand @kireeti2who graciously replied to all my questions when I first came on the thread and to @flutterby06for all her helpful translations) so that new fans like me could find it :fullofhearts:

ps: I really did try to keep it short, haha 

• Like 4
  • Love 2
  • Awesome 1
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, LeftCoastOppa said:

My first and only Joo Won drama is ALICE .  At the time the drama started, the idea of a main character having no emotions was like ... :blink:  However, I found Joo Won's portrayal of this character, and the struggles with feelings the character was unprepared for was compelling - In the end, the problem with ALICE was that horrible ending( story/writing in the final 2 episodes), not Joo Won or any of the other actors

If it was not the fault of any of the actors but it was the fault of the writer of the drama or the director since they did not know how to give a good direction to the drama I have more pity for joo won since several times they have given him scripts with terrible dramas I think so joo won chose this drama back it was because they only gave him the first chapters I think everyone knows that the first chapters are great but after entering chapter 10 the direction of the drama got worse that this was the drama of joo won's return although his acting was too great not everyone plays that kind of role mainly for me the actors saved the drama

3 minutes ago, Calli said:

It's soooo nice to come to the thread and read everyone's replies to @flutterby06's questions :partyblob:

thank you so much @partyonfor turning this into an event and to everyone who participates^^

my replies aren't very exciting and some of you already know what I'm about to write so I'll try to keep it short (loling at myself because I'm horrible at keeping things short)

oh I did not know how you met him since you entered the thread earlier than I was interesting to know how you met him

• Like 2
  • Blob 4

4 hours ago, partyon said:

Good Doctor.. but i din like him though..

i find his character kind of gets on my nerves. i like Joo Sang Wook more..

Sorry Keanu Reeves GIF

ALICE!!

yes, same as @LeftCoastOppa with that drama but with a different motive..

he revealed such great abs in that drama and @Ameera Ali @partyon shared even more delicious ones that made most of us feel like, we are finally in the land of shangri-la.. where abs are being sculptured to perfection!

20200903_002905.jpg

cr.: owner

i didn't.. i prefer to steal licks in the +/- thread once in a while from @Ameera Ali and @partyon

:4267_LiccGif:

• Like 1
  • LOL 6

2 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

ALICE!!

yes, same as @LeftCoastOppa with that drama but with a different motive..

he revealed such great abs in that drama and @Ameera Ali @partyon shared even more delicious ones that made most of us feel like, we are finally in the land of shangri-la.. where abs are being sculptured to perfection!

haha several of them love abs too but abs like joo won's and of course the muscles in the arm I find them sexier

if you see in good doctor in chapter one there is a scene that takes off his shirt but there he had nothing and now in alice I am surprised

• Like 2
  • Where's My Oppa? 1
  • Blob 1

On 7/16/2021 at 3:36 PM, partyon said:

MINI EVENT: Soompi Joo Won thread birthday celebration

cr. to owner

Hello chingus!

@flutterby06 reminded us that Joo Won's thread anniversary is coming up soon.

In order to celebrate that fact, @flutterby06 suggested that everyone who wants to, could share some information regarding the following questions:

Let's have some fun!

:hooray2:

OOO... our favourite EO @partyon is here to make it more festive. :heartxoxo:

Thanks @kittyna for mentioning @partyon.. :grin: Really glad to see all of you sharing your stories.. specially the guest members.. really appreciate the love and support. :fullofhearts:

On 7/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, agenth said:

Last impression: Wow this guy is cute, he writes a lot of captions on his instagram stories. I've never seen someone do so many various writings there ahah. 

It's cute, isn't it.. thanks to those captions we got to know what goes over his mind seeing these continuous support from fans.

Also most of us are now spoiled because of these cute captions.. I'm almost always looking forward to those the moment I see he received a support truck.

@Calli Thank you so much for your translations.. :heart:

On 7/16/2021 at 5:13 PM, agenth said:

In between Good Doctor/Yong Pal ? I watched it when it aired, I think but it takes several projects for me to "like" someone. So as some know, my ultimate oppa is Ji Chang Wook. I am strange in the sense that I can't call myself fan of anyone else, nor anyone else oppa, as I need the distinction between my ultimate oppa and everyone else :D Not to say that the others are lacking, it's just JCW has captured my whole heart - However, I do have a list of actors I respect and like, and Joo Won is definitely on it! I do take notice of his new projects, like to see what he is up to. etc.  Also, he seems like a down-to-earth, nice guy, which is also one of the reasons I start to like him:

High five @agenth.. I think you aren't alone in this regard. I have my share of favored list of actors and actress.. But I fangirl only for Joo Won.

I can't help but mention Joo Won and Ji Chang Wook has been on same stage together on many occasion.. 2014 KBS drama Awards then, Singing in for this national event.. Also Joo Won might as well had been one of the instructor of JCW for a short time as JCW was preliminary sent white skull base. As far as I remember JCW also mentioned that in one of his last interview before entering to Military. 

I like JCW too, specially in Healer.

On 7/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, partyon said:

I was SUPER impressed by Joo Won's acting in Good Doctor, and that's when I realized that he's a great actor.

:loolz:

Shallow?!

He has good abs now and we need more people who appreciate that!:winkx:  People like @kittyna and me may not get to the depth of it though.  :tounge_wink: I'm looking forward to your reaction when Carter gets released.. He trained a lot for Carter.. be prepared @partyon:glasses:

38.jpg?type=w1200

On 7/16/2021 at 5:50 PM, Tongtong said:

Ahem, I personally think he may not network widely to gain favours as much as some actors. So he has to sincerely work extra hard to win the fans and producers hearts.  That, I truly respect in an actor. I think thats why he won 2 awards from the Producers. 

Ahem Ahem.. :D

Btw 3 PD awards because he received best performer award from Korea PD award in 2014 for Good Doctor.

I was specially ecstatic when he got one from SBS this year.. I remember thinking about which of the award would be suitable for Joo Won this year.. I wanted him to be nominated for Daesung because he did awesome portraying such a complex character like Park Jin Gyeom though I knew he wouldn't be able to receive it because this year was Nam Goong Min's and Alice didn't do a fantastic job in rating and ending. So I kept thinking and the answer was Producer Award which is next best award I consider after Daesung because it comes from PD's who judge critically. I was overjoyed when I saw that Joo Won indeed got PD award.. Like how many actors of his age got PD award from two most popular public broadcast like KBS and SBS. And there was the recognition too as Daesung Nominee.. So overall really happy how though his post army project ended gettt him deserved recognition.

On 7/16/2021 at 7:23 PM, LeftCoastOppa said:

Again, I was impressed what he did with the character Jin-Gyeom, so suffice it to say, fan from the first drama. 

Yeah disappointed with Alice ending too.. The way they lost their way from concreteness of their story and made it all vague..which made me come up with explanation of my own.  But glad to know you got to admire Joo Won's charming acting on Alice. 

On 7/16/2021 at 8:28 PM, Calli said:

I don't remember how I stumbled on the soompi thread but I remember being really happy that I did^^ Joo Won's international fans on twitter were very few and not very vocal and finding a place where I could gush about Joo Won and learn more about him from fellow fans and long-time fans was (and is!!) such a gift^^

Thanks so much to everyone who kept this thread going over the years (esp @kittynaand @kireeti2who graciously replied to all my questions when I first came on the thread and to @flutterby06for all her helpful translations) so that new fans like me could find it :fullofhearts:

I'm glad you found this thread too.. :wub:

On 7/16/2021 at 1:46 AM, Andrea Balcazar said:

I initially met him in good doctor through videos that I saw that recommended that drama and I liked that genre and my first impression of joo won was that he was a great actor in some way I did not know him and he made me believe that he was autistic I really think it is because his acting was so good that I managed to believe that, being sincere I used to when I started watching dramas I did not see the appearance of the actors I only saw the dramas for fun so I did not care about the appearance of joo won at that time but then I continued with bridal mask I was wondering whether to see it or not because of the chapters and now I do not regret having seen it, I just loved it my favorite drama but in that drama I was struck by Joo Won's face was sexy and handsome

My start is like you and @Calli with Good Doctor. And it's interesting how I was avoiding Bridal Mask even after being a Joo Won fan.. I just didn't like period dramas from my previous experience. But I didn't know Bridal Mask is not that old like Saeguk.Also the the Mask.. I found it weird when I saw it which I late fell absolutely in love with.. When I later watched Gaksital, my mind was blown. I didn't know it was possible for me to fell in love with a drama of such an intense genre. 

Will share my story soon. I'm just so enjoying all of your story.. :partyblob:

On 7/16/2021 at 7:25 AM, kittyna said:

My first encounter with JW was entirely through hearsay. See, the rest of my family had actually started watching K-dramas before I did, and so they had already watched some of JW's dramas by the time I got into it. And at the time, none of us were all that great with the actors' names yet, so I just remembered overhearing a lot of references to "Ma Jun" or "the guy who plays Ma Jun" in their conversations. Eventually, that did progress to actual references to "Joo Won" (you know, once my family actually learned the name), and...I dunno why, but the name just really stuck with me. Like, there was no reason why both names (i.e. "Ma Jun" and "Joo Won") should stand out to me, especially in the midst of all the other names I heard being tossed about, but they did.

So, for instance, I distinctly remember conversations I heard just outside of my room about Level 7 Civil Servant (one person describing the opening meet-cute/blind date scene to another), and Good Doctor (something like "JW played someone with autism as well as Uhm Tae Woong did a blind man in Man from the Equator").

And all this got stuck in my head before I even knew who the heck JW was. Why? No idea - but am I glad it did

Wow @kittyna I remember part of your story of how you started getting into JW.. You have written it on blog or somewhere else. I loved it so much. I could relate to some of your sentiment.

But I don't remember seeing these part.. interesting that you remember these passing comments about Joo Won. 

• Like 2
  • Love 3
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

My start is like you and @Calli with Good Doctor. And it's interesting how I was avoiding Bridal Mask even after being a Joo Won fan.. I just didn't like period dramas from my previous experience. But I didn't know Bridal Mask is not that old like Saeguk.Also the the Mask.. I found it weird when I saw it which I late fell absolutely in love with.. When I later watched Gaksital, my mind was blown. I didn't know it was possible for me to fell in love with a drama of such an intense genre. 

I think that when people know Joo Won even though he is not a fan, he admires him a lot on several pages I saw many posts flattering him for example on Facebook I saw a publication of Joo Won as the king of rating people from Singapore mainly know him that way since he has high rating also how his voice changes when acting and his personality as we know it is very opposite to him also I remember when he said he was more like shion from good doctor I really think he looks more like his character in yongpal

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

My story will be long.. I'm sorry.. I can't gush about it enough.. bear with me please..:cutekitty:

I started my kdrama journey around the end of 2012.. I used to watch it first on KBS World, a channel that was available in my cable network. In 2013 I watched Good Doctor when it was airing on KBS.. KBS world probably showed the episode two-three week after airing on KBS. I loved that drama, the heart warming story it has to tell. I was really taken with Si On as a character and was very amazed at the way this actor portrayed him. I didn't knew his name yet. But I also remember reminding myself that "He's amazing at portraying autistic person, but he isn't really an autistic person, right.. he can't be.." I found Joo Won to be that good. Also Good Doctor along with few other heart warming kdramas are actually the reason why I went deeper into kdrama.

After GD I moved on to other dramas.. l was still pretty new to kdramas, only watching those from KBS World. I wasn't ready to really be this much into kdramas/actors/actresses. I was just planning to enjoy the dramas for entertainment purpose only. I was like- surely there're many other talented actor because kdramas seem so well.

Probably after Good Doctor KBS World started to re run Baker King. I remember watching that with my sister. And when Joo Won appeared as grown up Majun I could remember that it's that actor who played in Good Doctor. Majun was mean, vengeful, pompus rich kid but I couldn't really hate him too much because he has stories and he portrayed his character well enough to make me look at his pain and anguish.. But at that time I really didn't understood why female lead character would choose Majun. My mind couldn't get through Yoo Kyung's complex mindset which I understand now a bit after rewatching it way later.. Yes I found Majun to be pitiful but why would you choose bad guy, someone you don't love over good guy and the one you love. Again this time my mind acknowledged how this actor is good at acting.

I would like to end my first impression of Joo Won here.

2) (if you remember) at which point you thought you became a fan of Joo Won? 

Around 2014 I started watching dramas recommended by my friends from online platforms, done watching only KBS dramas.. Also after some of the other actors project I followed through their other project which means by now I know their names.. Joo Won too.. I knew actors' name, I followed one of two of their other project but that's it, not a fan of anyone in particular, My love was usually for the characters. 

Then the time came, Tomorrow Cantabile started airing I watched again on KBS World.. This is the moment I mentally admitted to myself loud and clear that Joo Won is way different from k-actors' I've seen. I have watched many talented actors acting by now. But none of them gave me this feeling of total transformation that Joo Won did.  I mean he was cute autistic doctor last year and this year he is this Handsome snobbish Sunbae.. A total change in the aura. I specifically remember about this anime trailer that my friend asked me to watch but I declined saying I don't like this plot where girl follows a hot shot snobbish guy like a puppy.  But here I was watching that character (If I'm not wrong Cha Yoo Jin is toned down and more rational than original sempai) and falling to his charm. Did I find Cha Yoo Jin snobby.. Yes I did.. Was he rude.. to some extant he was.. Did that made me unlove Cha Yoo Jin a bit... No... I loved how he looked, his fashion, his manner, his tone... everything. And I fell more because I was comparing Park Si On, Majun and Cha Yoo Jin in my mind. By the end of Tomorrow Cantabile I was a fan of Actor Joo Won.

I started learning more about Joo Won through many interviews available on YouTube. I think I found Joo Won cuties and Joo Won English translations way later. My memory of researching about Joo Won is hazy from this point. I was a fan but not into that much in fangirling.. So my research and learning spree on JW started increasing gradually.. Thus I started discovering how Joo Won is not just a great actor dedicated to his art but also how he's constantly trying to be a better human being, charming people left and right with his naturally sweet and cute persona.

So me being a fan of Joo Won was a gradual process that took momentum over time.. I would like to mention a quote from Pride & Prejudice novel by Jane Austen to cheesily explain the state of my journey of becoming a fan of Joo Won-

“I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.”

I don't exactly remember when I discovered Joo Won Soompi. It could be between 2015-16, but the memory is hazy. I do remember reading the thread for sometime before joining. My fangirling was limited to gathering knowledge on Joo Won. When anyone asked me to recommend kdrama I'd always suggest them few Joo Won dramas. I only joined Soompi because Joo Won's enlistment date was coming. I couldn't imagine going on without 2 years of no Joo Won on my screen. And I didn't really know that celebrity news from military does get covered by media .I joined soompi though I could see the members in JW thread aren't being active like before. I wanted to join and talk about Joo Won when he's absent, watch drama My Sassy Girl and talk about it on its soompi thread. That's how I joined in May,2017- exactly the day before Joo Won joined military.

And here I am.. still here.. though I tend to take long breaks time to time. :blush:

• Like 2
  • Love 2
  • Blob 2

44 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Probably after Good Doctor KBS World started to re run Baker King. I remember watching that with my sister. And when Joo Won appeared as grown up Majun I could remember that it's that actor who played in Good Doctor. Majun was mean, vengeful, pompus rich kid but I couldn't really hate him too much because he has stories and he portrayed his character well enough to make me look at his pain and anguish.. But at that time I really didn't understood why female lead character would choose Majun. My mind couldn't get through Yoo Kyung's complex mindset which I understand now a bit after rewatching it way later.. Yes I found Majun to be pitiful but why would you choose bad guy, someone you don't love over good guy and the one you love. Again this time my mind acknowledged how this actor is good at acting.

Now that I see your story it seems that most of us knew him as good doctor and we fell in love with him

by the way I also asked myself the same because I chose majun but I think now I have the answer I think it is as she said since they were the same and she could not let him understand each other in some way takgu was very good to be unrealistic his character I saw very unreal and let's be honest in the world nobody is so innocent as he or good

• Like 4
  • Blob 1

1 hour ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

Now that I see your story it seems that most of us knew him as good doctor and we fell in love with him

by the way I also asked myself the same because I chose majun but I think now I have the answer I think it is as she said since they were the same and she could not let him understand each other in some way takgu was very good to be unrealistic his character I saw very unreal and let's be honest in the world nobody is so innocent as he or good

Agree with you on that... Good Doctor was starting point for many.

Btw, no matter how unreal Takgu character is, my problem was Yu Kyung's action.. while Majun kinda aggravated her, she pitied him, may be wanted to believe him but the way Yu Kyung wanted live with hatred in her mind (for people who looked down on her specially Majun's Mom) doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I pitied her character for that.

But I also do see why she would feel lesser in front of Takgu at that point of her life . Because Takgu sees the world in a optimistic perspective while she doesn't. Their ideals clashes.

After I re watched Baker King, I'm more open to her point of view than before.. but if a friend of mine would ever try to live like that I would probably try with my might to make her consider her choices more rationally. Sometimes there're are character who makes me ponder deeply. Yu Kyung is one of such characters.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

5 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Wow @kittyna I remember part of your story of how you started getting into JW.. You have written it on blog or somewhere else. I loved it so much. I could relate to some of your sentiment.

But I don't remember seeing these part.. interesting that you remember these passing comments about Joo Won. 

I did share the "Part 2" of this story before - it was some long ago post on Dramabeans that I can't track down again even if I tried. I wrote it up back when the main team had an open call for drama fans to share their stories, so I wrote up a far more finessed version of that whole "Chuseok Special" discovery and why it stood out to me then.

The first bit, though, is new - to the best of my memory, this is the first time I've ever shared that part publicly ;) Usually, I just focus on when I first started thinking of JW as someone different or special compared to other actors (i.e. when I first became a fan and he first became my bias), but since you asked for the first impression/encounter separately....

9 hours ago, partyon said:

I saw Joo Won for the first time when Naeil's Cantabile aired. That was back in 2014. I didn't find the drama very good, and I didn't really become fond of Joo Won's prickly character Cha Yoo Jin. Actually I didn't really like any of the characters in the drama, but I did finish the drama despite not feeling very engaged about it. :joy:

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Then the time came, Tomorrow Cantabile started airing I watched again on KBS World.. This is the moment I mentally admitted to myself loud and clear that Joo Won is way different from k-actors' I've seen. I have watched many talented actors acting by now. But none of them gave me this feeling of total transformation that Joo Won did.  I mean he was cute autistic doctor last year and this year he is this Handsome snobbish Sunbae.. A total change in the aura. I specifically remember about this anime trailer that my friend asked me to watch but I declined saying I don't like this plot where girl follows a hot shot snobbish guy like a puppy.  But here I was watching that character (If I'm not wrong Cha Yoo Jin is toned down and more rational than original sempai) and falling to his charm. Did I find Cha Yoo Jin snobby.. Yes I did.. Was he rude.. to some extant he was.. Did that made me unlove Cha Yoo Jin a bit... No... I loved how he looked, his fashion, his manner, his tone... everything.

lol - Cha Yoo Jin's quite a handful to take, so I don't blame you, @partyon, for that first impression :lol: 

I will say that my first impression of that character was quite different from either of yours. I found his struggles and his journey as a student conductor really intriguing, because I could understand just how much pressure would be involved: conducting is one of those professions where you could only learn by actually doing it with a real orchestra - which means that any mistakes you make will have real life repercussions for the members who are looking up to you. I'm not from a musical field myself (although I am a big classical music nerd), but I do have real life experience a similar "thrown in the deep end with no room for mistakes" learning curve :P So the part about Cha Yoo Jin's personality that stood out to me at first was not his pride or his brusque manner, but the way he would commit and throw himself 100% into anything he was doing, refusing to accept help because he felt like the entire load should be on his own shoulders and he should be able to handle it. 

9 hours ago, partyon said:

Shallow?!

He has good abs now and we need more people who appreciate that!:winkx:  People like @kittyna and me may not get to the depth of it though.

Yeah, I'll leave the abs celebration to those of you guys who can actually appreciate them and do them justice ;)

High five @agenth.. I think you aren't alone in this regard. I have my share of favored list of actors and actress.. But I fangirl only for Joo Won.

Same here. I honestly can't imagine being a major fan of multiple actors - even though there are a ton I like, I don't think I have the time or energy to be an active fan on multiple forums or anything like that. :P So, it's just this one thread for me (not even the drama ones, actually).

Will share my story soon. I'm just so enjoying all of your story..

lol - I did it the other way around. I watched Good Doctor as Gaksital chaser :P Usually, I don't like to watch two dramas with the same lead in a role (because if I like an actor, I want to space out his/her stuff so that I don't run out of things to watch), but I decided to do it that time just because I wanted something cute and fluffy after the dark and gritty nature of Gaksital.

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

I was really taken with Si On as a character and was very amazed at the way this actor portrayed him. I didn't knew his name yet. But I also remember reminding myself that "He's amazing at portraying autistic person, but he isn't really an autistic person, right.. he can't be.." I found Joo Won to be that good.

Interesting that you wondered that, actually. In hindsight, I sometimes wonder why there wasn't an uproar about casting an actor who wasn't autistic to play Park Si On. Or, at least, I imagine there would be such an uproar if the drama was made now as opposed to in 2013 - which shows how much our world has changed over the years.

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

my problem was Yu Kyung's action.. while Majun kinda aggravated her, she pitied him, may be wanted to believe him but the way Yu Kyung wanted live with hatred in her mind (for people who looked down on her specially Majun's Mom) doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I pitied her character for that.

But I also do see why she would feel lesser in front of Takgu at that point of her life . Because Takgu sees the world in a optimistic perspective while she doesn't. Their ideals clashes.

After I re watched Baker King, I'm more open to her point of view than before.. but if a friend of mine would ever try to live like that I would probably try with my might to make her consider her choices more rationally. Sometimes there're are character who makes me ponder deeply. Yu Kyung is one of such characters.

That is true what you say would be terrible if someone lived like this, although I swear that in the final chapters I come to hate majun and more in the scene that goes to the disco and makes him unfaithful to yoo kyung I swear that in that scene I hate him I think I was going to change majun but in the scene of the goodbye hug with tak goo it infuriated him and more when yookyung doubted I felt bad for him instead

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Same here. I honestly can't imagine being a major fan of multiple actors - even though there are a ton I like, I don't think I have the time or energy to be an active fan on multiple forums or anything like that. :P So, it's just this one thread for me (not even the drama ones, actually).

If I least imagine being a fan of several actors, being a fan of joo won for me is more than enough I just want him to be active and have more things about him

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

7 days in a row with support truck from the fans great that joo won has support from his fans also very grateful to the joo won fanclubs that are supporting

really joo won is getting more support from his fans from japan than from korea which is his own country

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

12 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

OOO... our favourite EO @partyon is here to make it more festive. :heartxoxo:

Thanks @kittyna for mentioning @partyon.. :grin: Really glad to see all of you sharing your stories.. specially the guest members.. really appreciate the love and support. :fullofhearts:

It's cute, isn't it.. thanks to those captions we got to know what goes over his mind seeing these continuous support from fans.

Also most of us are now spoiled because of these cute captions.. I'm almost always looking forward to those the moment I see he received a support truck.

@Calli Thank you so much for your translations.. :heart:

I can't help but mention Joo Won and Ji Chang Wook has been on same stage together on many occasion.. 2014 KBS drama Awards then, Singing in for this national event.. Also Joo Won might as well had been one of the instructor of JCW for a short time as JCW was preliminary sent white skull base. As far as I remember JCW also mentioned that in one of his last interview before entering to Military. 

I like JCW too, specially in Healer.

Shallow?!

He has good abs now and we need more people who appreciate that!:winkx:  People like @kittyna and me may not get to the depth of it though.  :tounge_wink: I'm looking forward to your reaction when Carter gets released.. He trained a lot for Carter.. be prepared @partyon:glasses:

Ahem Ahem.. :D

Btw 3 PD awards because he received best performer award from Korea PD award in 2014 for Good Doctor.

I was specially ecstatic when he got one from SBS this year.. I remember thinking about which of the award would be suitable for Joo Won this year.. I wanted him to be nominated for Daesung because he did awesome portraying such a complex character like Park Jin Gyeom though I knew he wouldn't be able to receive it because this year was Nam Goong Min's and Alice didn't do a fantastic job in rating and ending. So I kept thinking and the answer was Producer Award which is next best award I consider after Daesung because it comes from PD's who judge critically. I was overjoyed when I saw that Joo Won indeed got PD award.. Like how many actors of his age got PD award from two most popular public broadcast like KBS and SBS. And there was the recognition too as Daesung Nominee.. So overall really happy how though his post army project ended got him deserved recognition.

Yeah disappointed with Alice ending too.. The way they lost their way from concreteness of their story and made it all vague..which made me come up with explanation of my own.  But glad to know you got to admire Joo Won's charming acting on Alice. 

I'm glad you found this thread too.. :wub:

Hello all,

For those who watched wonnie’s  2D1N series, did you notice he had a habit of blinking his eyes too many times? It didn't seem intentional, perhaps he was shy ( or felt uneasy) ‘cos there were so many veteran actors in that show. However, after a few episodes, I noticed he no longer slouched and blinked eyes that often. 
Whoops, Me bad on the PD awards.. thot he only won 2.. lol.. but wow, those were chosen by a real professional panel of ‘judges’ in the industry and not just ahjumma like yours truly.. The fact that he researched, deep dived into each difficult character and portrayed credibility to the characters deserve huge respect. Salute! salute! 

Thank you again for this Site! Loving every moment.. 

Edited by gm4queen
Please don't quote images! Thanks!
  • Like 3
  • Blob 2

37 minutes ago, Tongtong said:

Hello all,

For those who watched wonnie’s  2D1N series, did you notice he had a habit of blinking his eyes too many times? It didn't seem intentional, perhaps he was shy ( or felt uneasy) ‘cos there were so many veteran actors in that show. However, after a few episodes, I noticed he no longer slouched and blinked eyes that often. 

i think that's why joo won is a bit introverted doesn't tend to talk a lot and blinks a lot that's what i've noticed

38 minutes ago, Tongtong said:

Whoops, Me bad on the PD awards.. thot he only won 2.. lol.. but wow, those were chosen by a real professional panel of ‘judges’ in the industry and not just ahjumma like yours truly.. The fact that he researched, deep dived into each difficult character and portrayed credibility to the characters deserve huge respect. Salute! salute! 

Thank you again for this Site! Loving every moment.. 

e is a great actor and having those awards really makes you see what a good actor he is to be given those awards I think that not even famous actors get that award like joo won as I say he has bad luck for roles in dramas if they had given him to choose too many good papers, I could say, I would be very famous

• Blob 2

3rd support truck from Japan Orange Moon today and, if I counted properly, 10th overall for uri Joo Won on the Carter set :issohappy:

Really amazing!! I'm just so happy Joo Won gets to feel all that love and support from his fans :')

Here's a screencap from Joo Won's animated insta story. He even added the date today. Seems he tries to keep track of all his support trucks too^^ 

spacer.png

오늘도 ♡ = today as well 

이제는 안오면 이상할거 같아 :joy:= If you don't come now, I think it will be weird 

고마워요 = thank you 

오늘도 폭염 :sweat:= heat wave today as well 

I love that Joo Won is "spoiled" by all that love and he's come to expect the support trucks daily now. I wish we could send him one every day till the end of his Carter shoot... it must be exhausting filming all those action scenes in that kind of heat :(

Fighting to the whole Carter team!! Hopefully they'll finish shooting safely today too. 

• Like 1
  • Blob 3

1 hour ago, Calli said:

I love that Joo Won is "spoiled" by all that love and he's come to expect the support trucks daily now. I wish we could send him one every day till the end of his Carter shoot... it must be exhausting filming all those action scenes in that kind of heat :(

Fighting to the whole Carter team!! Hopefully they'll finish shooting safely today too. 

haha I still think there are many more support trucks we just have to wait to see

I really feel bad for him since it's too hot these days in Korea

• Like 3
  • Blob 1