Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

9 hours ago, Calli said:

Oh yay^^ I'm so happy you enjoyed the photos @flutterby06~ knowing this made even just one other Joo Won loving heart happy makes spending time on this worth it^^ I mentioned "time" because it took me a lot of it to scan, transform pic to text, and then check every single line of text (my pic to text transformer had a bit of trouble with the vertical Japanese and with deciphering the numbers within the text) just for the first 3 pages of the interview (there are 6 pages overall)

I decided to just share the transcribed Japanese text with everyone instead of the photos. You can use the text as the basis for a translation~

I'll paste the text into my previous post, and the next 3 pages will follow as soon as possible :)

@Calli... Truly thanks for the effort. If you didn't share it with us who knows when would get to read this.. or read it at all... So big thanks... :fullofhearts:

Also Google translate gives us pretty decent translation. It isn't that hard to get the gist of it. :D

About the interview part you shared so far... I love how it talks a lot about Alice. I remember talking online with someone about lack of detailed interview of Joo Won on Alice and may be it had to do with Joo Won joining Musical right away... So he at least did a interview...and a very detailed one.. I heard there's interview of Directior Bark Soo Chan there too.. so love to read their take on Alice.

I love how Joo Won admits this thing that when he did alice it wasn't difficult to understand but when he watched it he found it a bit difficult. He was a bit worried for fans. So he tried to explain it to his parents as much as possible... 

But the interview also focus that Alice over all wasn't that hard to understand.. (well in my opinion almost everything other than ending was less complicated)

Will share more of my thoughts on this later... Let those words sink in some more. :fun:

8 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

Here is a video of joo won in case you have not seen it yet, you have never seen it before
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh thanks @Andrea Balcazar. I did not see it before. Good to see baby Joo won... That voice... :happy2:

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Replies 58.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

18 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Oh thanks @Andrea Balcazar. I did not see it before. Good to see baby Joo won... That voice...

in my free time I like to search for dc galler things about joo won or search for baidu chinese platform and it is true what you said joo won fans of a long time translated things very quickly I found several things that I did not see before I also recently found photos of joo won in his 19 0 20 but I would not know how to put them here this is still difficult for me to use soompi forums

• Like 3
3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

@Calli... Truly thanks for the effort. If you didn't share it with us who knows when would get to read this.. or read it at all... So big thanks... 

Also Google translate gives us pretty decent translation. It isn't that hard to get the gist of it. :D

You're very, very welcome dear @flutterby06:heart: I know you'd do the very same thing if you were in my place~

And I'm loving this interview and all the details Joo Won shared with us so so much, too!! Like for example how the director decided to have Joo Won dance in the karaoke scene in Alice even though it wasn't part of the script after he saw Joo Won teaching Kim Hee Sun (or rather trying to teach :lol:) those dance moves. I loved that so much because it reminded me of how good Joo Won is at picking up choreographies; and the fact that the director saw Joo Won's many and various talents and skills and tried to utilize many of them (like having him sing as well even though that too wasn't originally in the script). It really shows how much the director appreciated Joo Won's many talents and also how well they worked together. 

And then there are many other cute parts, like how Joo Won always has to carry a bag with him when he leaves the house and how heavy it always is even though he hardly ever needs much in it^^ I especially loved the part where he said that even while being on set, his bag will be very heavy because, for one, he always carries the script of the already shot material with him because he might need/want to check the details of a previous scene they did. And then he also talks about his "fussy" personality and how he always needs to plan ahead for things he might do during the day even if he ends up not doing them^^ He is such a lovable, lovable man. So happy he did this interview. 

I only have one page of the interview left to scan but it's a whole page of only printed text so it might take a little while. I'm so excited to read the rest of it so I'll try to do it asap :D

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@Andrea Balcazar, @Calli, @flutterby06 Thanks for the translations/recaps of the interview so far, guys! Obviously, Google Translate or other similar sites won't be perfect, but I'm finding all these behind-the-scenes details from Alice to be really fascinating. :partyblob:

So, for example, the interview seems to imply that JW isn't all that used to working alongside CGI yet, and for some reason, I think that's adorable. And I also loved the bits about him explaining what was happening to his parents (I wound up doing the same when my own parents watched Alice - their first time, my second).

Finally, I can completely get behind JW's tendency to keep the entire script handy whenever possible. Even though I personally felt that Alice's storytelling could be tighter/more consistent overall (one of the criticisms I brought up in my review was how some items would be set up to be really significant, but then conspicuously drop by the wayside), I love that JW wanted his characterization of Park Jin Gyeom to be tight :) 

• Like 3

This interview is really amazing!! I know I'm repeating myself but I'm so glad he did it. Though I wish he would have also appeared in a Korean magazine - everything he says is so important and insightful imo. I really wish his (general) Korean audience could read it too. 

I just finished the last page and it's chock full of Joo Won's wonderful thoughts and personality. 

I love what he says about the responsibility he feels as the lead actor to be a positive influence on everyone on set. Apparently he also was given a nickname on the Alice set that showed that he was part of the production team. Joo Won described himself as a "lubricating oil" because communication between the production staff and the actors got smoother as he was going back and forth between his main job (acting), and the side jobs he took on^^ (camera team and lighting team). Must be such a great experience having someone like Joo Won on set, who's not only a very gifted, dedicated and hardworking actor but also a really warmhearted and selfless human being who cares about every single person on set and wants to contribute to all of them having a great experience while working together on a project. 

He also said something really insightful and wise when asked what scene from Alice he would like to reshoot if he could go back in time, but I have the feeling neither google nor papago do that part justice. I really wish we had a kind native speaker for this part especially who could translate it into English for us. 

He was also asked to recommend the best way for Japanese fans to watch Alice which was so cute and funny, I actually laughed out loud^^ I'm sure you guys will, too. 

Last note: I think I know now why Park Jeong Sik met with Joo Won (and apparently was also on the Carter set) when he travelled to Daejeon a couple of weekends ago. When asked about Carter, Joo Won said that he goes to action school and trains almost every day. And I remember reading a DC Gallery post from 2013 quoting an article about the city of Daejeon having almost finished construction on "action video center <Aerial View> at the Expo Science Park" which would include "an action school (500 m²), an underwater filming site (280 m²), a laboratory (430 m²), and a filming support room (185 m²)." Maybe Joo Won is attending action school there? 

Either way, what he said about Carter really brought it home even more for me how incredibly hard he's been working and also why he's been training so so hard: "The level of action is probably about 100 times that of "Alice"? It's quite difficult (laughs)." I can't even imagine what that means when someone like Joo Won says the level of action in Carter is about 100 times that of Alice. 100 times "fighting Joo Won!!" then. :cheers:

some more news: Carter will be filming again in Cheongju next week.

article link: http://www.jbnews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1344086

google translation: 

"The Cheongju Film Commission (hereinafter referred to as the Cheongju Film Commission) of the Cheongju Cultural Industry Promotion Foundation will control the road in some sections of Yeonje-ri, Osong-eup, from the 28th to the 30th and July 2nd.

With this shooting, the area around 887 Yeonje-ri, Osong-eup, Heungdeok-gu (around Daewoong Pharmaceutical) is completely controlled from 10 am to 5 pm.

The Netflix movie 'Carter' is an action blockbuster that depicts the breathtaking chase of an agent 'Carter' who has lost all his memories and is put into a mysterious operation. Director Jung Byung-gil, who directed 'I Am a Murderer' and 'The Villain', grabs a megaphone, and actor Joo Won, who has appeared in many works such as 'Firefighter' and 'My Sassy Girl', plays agent 'Carter'.

A production official said, "During the last filming, we were able to proceed smoothly with a lot of cooperation." "Our actors were also moved by the kindness of the citizens of Cheongju."" 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1
5 hours ago, Calli said:

Last note: I think I know now why Park Jeong Sik met with Joo Won (and apparently was also on the Carter set) when he travelled to Daejeon a couple of weekends ago. When asked about Carter, Joo Won said that he goes to action school and trains almost every day. And I remember reading a DC Gallery post from 2013 quoting an article about the city of Daejeon having almost finished construction on "action video center <Aerial View> at the Expo Science Park" which would include "an action school (500 m²), an underwater filming site (280 m²), a laboratory (430 m²), and a filming support room (185 m²)." Maybe Joo Won is attending action school there? 

now I see why action scenes come out so naturally

• Like 2
5 hours ago, Calli said:

Apparently he also was given a nickname on the Alice set that showed that he was part of the production team. Joo Won described himself as a "lubricating oil" because communication between the production staff and the actors got smoother as he was going back and forth between his main job (acting), and the side jobs he took on^^ (camera team and lighting team). Must be such a great experience having someone like Joo Won on set, who's not only a very gifted, dedicated and hardworking actor but also a really warmhearted and selfless human being who cares about every single person on set and wants to contribute to all of them having a great experience while working together on a project. 

Aww .. this is so precious.. love how people value him. It's not that easy having pressure on himself and also thinking about others and constantly trying to look out for every one.

Remember we saw many BTS pics and few videos where Joo Won was behind camera..B)

5 hours ago, Calli said:

Either way, what he said about Carter really brought it home even more for me how incredibly hard he's been working and also why he's been training so so hard: "The level of action is probably about 100 times that of "Alice"? It's quite difficult (laughs)." I can't even imagine what that means when someone like Joo Won says the level of action in Carter is about 100 times that of Alice. 100 times "fighting Joo Won!!" then. 

That's so WOW.. like 100 times more than Alice!! When someone confident like Joo Won about action says that must be really on another level.

Good to know about action school info too.. hmm.. that's why Park Jeong Sik nim is accompanying Joo Won.. I wonder if we'd ever see behind the scene pictures of Joo Won's training in action school.. that would be such a cool thing to watch! :glasses:

I'd also like to say: Joowon,  Fighting x100.

:approves:

@Calli can't wait to read the whole interview. I will start reading the Japanese translation stuffs now. So excited about finally having the time to properly start it. :winkx:

5 hours ago, Calli said:

some more news: Carter will be filming again in Cheongju next week.

article link: http://www.jbnews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1344086

google translation: 

"The Cheongju Film Commission (hereinafter referred to as the Cheongju Film Commission) of the Cheongju Cultural Industry Promotion Foundation will control the road in some sections of Yeonje-ri, Osong-eup, from the 28th to the 30th and July 2nd.

Lucky Cheongju people.. ! 4 days shooting in coming days.

Just today someone caught them filming in Cheongju too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQf_lCKphxh/?utm_medium=copy_link

So glad to see all those news on Carter filming today. It feels nice just knowing what's going on with filming even tho it's just a update on shooting date and place.

Also now that we have a glimpse on how hard Joo Won prepared for and still preparing himself for Carter. Hope everything goes smoothly and safely. Got so excited for Carter after learning from these Japanese Magazine interview stories shared. 

@Calli I will share my details thought after reading it. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1
On 6/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, agenth said:

POLL: Father's Day with Joo Won

In honour of Father's Day and due to @kittyna's idea, here is a quick poll for everyone to reminisce about Joo Won's dramas and the portryal of fathers and father figures in them.  

Thanks for participating in my first poll :D 

Please let us know, if we can help with another event, if you have ideas/wishes. Until then!

@kittyna @Calli @flutterby06 @kireeti2 @Andrea Balcazar @tokkimoon  @JooWon89@valinor500 @partyon

On 6/20/2021 at 5:57 AM, kireeti2 said:

Lol!! Looks like we have tie breaker between Director Choi and Detective Go in poll :smiley:. Come to think of it, these two characters have lot similarities, like both of these have taken an outcast kid under their wing.

So, no wonder we have a tie

In the end Detective Go won :D

• Like 1
  • Blob 5

Hey everyone :waves:

I hope you're all having a lovely Friday! 

I've been reading Joo Won's Mediaboy interview almost every free minute I had since yesterday^^ The insights he offers (into Alice, Carter and himself) are really wonderful. 

I saved the most "readable" translation based on a mix of google, papago and DeepL in my Joo Won files and thought I'd share it in case it might be helpful for anyone here. 

I really wish so badly @manyearsagowas still around and would translate it for us. But hopefully we still got the gist~~

Spoiler

Joo Won

The beginning of a new life as an actor! His presence in complex and difficult roles

Finally, Joo Won is back. He joined the army in 2017 without waiting for the broadcast of "My Sassy Girl" (SBS). After his discharge in 2019, attention was focused on his comeback project, but he chose the sci-fi fantasy drama "Alice" (2020, SBS). He has always had a good personality. This time, thanks to Joo Won and Kim Hee Sun, who are more cheerful and honest, the atmosphere at the site was outstanding. When I met him after a long time, he talked about musicals and new works, including "Alice" in a relaxed tone, just like before. It was an interview that made me feel like watching over him in the second chapter of this actor's life, which started with "Alice", and how he will keep on playing an active role in the future.

Q: It's been a while since our last interview for "My Sassy Girl" (published in issue 84 of this magazine). At that time, you enlisted before the broadcast started, but did you watch the drama while in the army?

A: I couldn't watch it at that time. The broadcast started when I was a trainee, but there was no TV in the dormitory. Fans told me about the drama's reputation in military internet letters. I watched the drama all together after I was discharged.

Q: I heard that you watched it many times with the feeling of seeing off a loved one.

A: The reason I chose to do "My Sassy Girl" was because of my fans. Until then, I had mainly played roles with strong personalities and roles that challenged me in new ways, but many fans said, "I want you to appear in a romantic comedy." So, before I joined the army, I chose this work because I wanted to make it a work that fans liked, so I was even more attached to it.

Q: I think that "Alice" is also a work that could be said to be a challenge for an actor. Why did you decide to appear?

A: I’m sure other actors have had similar feelings, but I thought about various things as I was about to be discharged. What kind of work should I do when I'm discharged from the army? And the broadcasting environment has changed a lot in the two years I was in the army. As you know, online distribution has begun to spread widely. Under such circumstances, I wanted to make a fresh work that was not mediocre if possible. When I read the script for "Alice" I was intrigued by the theme of time travel and the character's congenital alexithymia, so I decided to appear in it.

Q: What did you pay attention to when you created the character of Park Jin-gyeom?

The most important thing is that he’s a detective by profession. Jin-gyeom was born with no emotions, so I don't think it would have been difficult if he had a job with few emotional changes, but he became a detective. There were more emotional changes than I expected in the process of uncovering the truth about his mother's death. It was difficult to find the right level of expression for this. As I act, it is important that I don’t doubt the character's emotions, so I had to find the line that says, "I think it's okay to express it at this level.“ I had a lot of worries and talked to the director many times. So when something happens related to people he loves, like his mother or  his friends, he would explode with emotion. I decided these details in advance and acted them out. Actors have to convey their emotions to the audience through acting, and in order to do that, they naturally have to express themselves, so the most difficult part was finding a line that I could convey well.

Q: You also appeared in high school uniform.

A: When I read the script, I thought that the scene in high school was very important. To be honest, when I first received the script, the content was up to that scene, so no one expected that high school student Jin-gyeom would appear after that (laughs). Moreover, I never thought I would be the one to play Jin-gyeom in high school. I was old enough to have served in the military, and I thought that a child actor would act (in those scenes), but the director saw me at the first meeting and said, „I think you would look cool playing a high school student." Hahaha. When I was at a loss for an answer, he said, "It's an important part of the character, and if the actor changes, it's going to stand out. If possible, I'd like you to play the part yourself," and so I decided to wear the uniform!  After that, when I watched the drama as a whole, I thought that Jin-gyeom's scenes in high school were very important, and I was glad that I decided to perform them myself.

Q: How did you feel when it was decided that Kim Hee Sun (Yoon Tae-yi / Park Sun-young) would act opposite you?

A: When I had a meeting with the director, I said, "I wish it would be Hee Sun noona," so I was very happy to hear the news about her appearance. At first, when I heard that we had to act as parent and child with the other actor, I couldn't imagine it well. But that's why I wanted Hee Sun noona to play the role. On the one hand, we play the role of parent and child, but on the other hand, we’re supposed to be the same age, and the past before that also appears ...

I don't think there are many actors who can handle such a wide range of ages and characters. I think it was a challenge for Hee Sun noona, but I believed that it was a good role and that noona could play it well. I was really delighted and happy to be able to co-star with her. I stuck next to noona all day, hahaha.

Q: What exactly did you like about it (co-starring with her)?

A: The filming site is always bustling and the atmosphere of the scene is tense, so many things are happening at once. I learned a lot from watching Hee Sun noona's good organization of the scene. Noona’s presence at the scene made the atmosphere very bright and harmonious. Shooting is hard, but acting together is fun. I'm not the nervous type either, so I got along with noona well. Of course, she is a great actress, but she doesn't create walls when she interacts with people, she has a very bright personality, and is full of charm as a human being. She really made me laugh a lot.

Q: In the early stages, I was impressed by the appearance of Jin-gyeom who shed tears when he saw Tae-yi, who looked just like his dead mother.

A: It was still early on, so I wasn’t sure about the direction yet, such as whether to cry, how to cry, and whether Jin Gyeom shed tears even though he had alexithymia, and so on. So, I did many takes while trying various things. The impression between what you imagine in your head and what you actually perform can be very different. Sometimes, it's not until you try something that you realize “this is good, too“.  I tried many things and the director chose the one that was the most convincing.

Q: I think you had to play scenes where you had to imagine the finished product since CG was added later, did you have any concerns about that?

A: We couldn't imagine what the video would look like because we had to understand the finished form that the viewer would see with only text and verbal explanations. Even if you look at a gun or drone on site, you don't know how it will look on screen ... For example, when you touch a time card, things around you start floating in the air. Even if it was explained that "this will happen through CG", it was difficult to understand. I was a little skeptical, "Is that really going to happen?“ (Laughs). But when Tae-yi met Tae-yi and Jin-gyeom met Jin-gyeom, I think those scenes came out more wonderful than I had imagined.

Q: Didn’t you find the story difficult?

A: To be honest, I read the script many times and listened to the director's explanation, so I understood most of course. But when I watch dramas with my parents, they always seem difficult. When I saw it, I thought, "It might be difficult for viewers to understand.“ In the case of my parents, I explained it as much as I could, so they understood it as they watched it, but I couldn't explain it to the audience. I was a little worried about what to do if it was difficult.

Q: I think the explanation was more polite than other dramas of similar genre.

A: We revised the script many times. When we thought the content might be a little difficult, we explained it as carefully as possible and corrected the script to make it easier for viewers to understand. In particular, we tried to simplify it so that it would be easier for older people to understand. Even if young people can understand it immediately, it may be difficult for older people to follow the story. I am happy that we were able to create a drama that is easy for anyone to understand.

Q: Didn’t all the actors and the production team have a very hard time due to the difficulty of the story and the heavy use of CG?

A: In the scene where Jin-gyeom travels back in time for the first time, we changed everything except me being in the same place. We changed the props, the background building little by little with CG, and the costumes of the extras. We had to change everything, so we had more than twice the usual work. The shooting period was very long, and I think that not only the actors but also all the staff members had a really hard time.

Q: The action scenes were really cool. How much of it did you do yourself?

A: More than 80%? My stunt double(s) did the more difficult action scenes and pull cuts, but I did most of it myself.

Q: Did you also act out the scene where you walked on the beam on the roof in the first episode?

A: Yes, I did. I was worried about it until the day before the shooting, but I believed that it was safe, so I thought I could do it.

Q: The tunnel scene was also very cool.

A: We rented out the entire tunnel and the surrounding road to shoot it. Of course we used CG in some parts, because it would be dangerous to film everything realistically. When filming scenes like jumping from one car to another, the action team is very nervous because the lead actor is clinging to the hood of a moving car. I tried to be as careful as possible in my performance, but I really felt that I had to shoot the scene well first. It was a highlight at the beginning, and the director was very nervous about filming it, using a system that is mainly used for movies. I had high hopes that the finished scene would turn out to be cool, and I'm glad that it did.

Q: How do you feel about the action scenes in the library?

A: It was really hard. We shot all night for about 3 or 4 days. The place we shot at was actually a cafe, so it had to open during the day and we could only shoot at night. We shot throughout the night in that large space, and it took a lot of time because there was a lot of action and a lot of shots to take.

Q: Unlike Jin-gyeom, who has alexithymia and is unsociable, Joo-won is known for his gentle personality.

A: I don't think he's unsociable (laughs). He uses a lot of emoticons when he texts. I also do that, but usually, no matter how short the text is, emotion gets into your words. But for Jin Gyeom, I had a lot of trouble deciding whether or not I should include that part. As a result, I came to the conclusion that I would try to express it in words to some extent even if there were no facial expressions. Also, I made some changes depending on who I was with. When I was with Do-yeon (played by Lee Da-in) compared to when I was with Tae-yi, I tried to make a slight difference.

Q: At first, I thought that only Kim Hee Sun would play two roles, but more people than expected, including Joo Won, played two roles.

A: Hee Sun noona and I played multiple roles. If you look at me alone, there is high school student Jin-gyeom, current Jin-gyeom, bad Jin-gyeom, old man Jin-gyeom, and so on. It's not often that you get to play so many roles in one work, so it was very interesting for me as an actor. While playing various characters, we also told each other, "this is fun.“

Q: I was surprised at the appearance of the old man!

A: I knew from the beginning that I was going to play an old man. So we prepared all the masks for the special make-up before the shooting, but it took 3 hours just to put them on. The makeup alone was a challenge. About the old man's voice, the director initially said, "Let's make it with a machine," but I said, "I'll make it myself." Fortunately, the make-up and the voice went well together. If I hadn't been told at the beginning and had been told halfway through that I would be playing an old man, I think I wouldn't have been able to study the voice. I knew what I would look like as an old man by looking at the mask, so I was able to create a voice to match it. In fact, you can hear my voice as the old man in the first trailer. At the time no one knew that I would play an old man, so I was amused by myself saying, "Oh, there is my voice!" It's actually a very important key to the story, but no one in the audience knows about it. Hahaha.

Q: What scenes did you enjoy filming and what scenes did you add ad lib to?

A: There’s a scene where Jin-gyeom dances while singing with Tae-yi, Do-yeon, and Dong-ho (played by Lee Jae-yun), but it wasn't originally set up for Jin-gyeom to dance. When I was teaching Hee Sun noona how to dance, the director saw it and said, "Why don't you dance a little too? So I did, and it didn't get cut in the editing process.

The scene at the amusement park was fun to shoot. I don't find roller coasters too scary, so I like all kinds of attractions. But right now, you can't go to amusement parks because of the new coronavirus. But thanks to the filming, I was able to go to an amusement park. Of course, there were many restrictions, but fortunately there were some scenes where we got to ride the attractions, so we had a lot of fun filming. The weather was also really nice.

He's got everything in his bag.

His nickname is "Doraemon.

Q: In every episode, a quote appears at the beginning. Are there any words of wisdom that made an impression on you, or are there any words that you usually keep in your mind?

A: It’s not a special phrase, but I often say, "You have to be happy. I think this is true for everyone, but we all live through good times and hard times in various situations. We can't be happy all the time, and sometimes we get lumps and wounds inside of us. But even while in similar situations, some people are able to overcome them with a cheerful heart, while others are not. I have been thinking a lot lately that it would be good to accept things as they are and enjoy life as it is. Wouldn’t that be happiness? I'm the type of person who thinks too much and too seriously. I used to take even the most trivial things very seriously, but then I suddenly wondered why I was thinking so seriously. There wasn't anything in particular that triggered it, but.... Or maybe there was, but I just don't remember it. Anyway, my parents and I have been talking about it a lot lately.

Q: Weren’t you influenced by Kim Hee Sun, who acted opposite you?

A: I think there is also that. I think that's what I felt while watching Hee Sun noona next to me. I'm sure she gets stressed and has her own worries, but she never showed it on set. Noona is the type of person, no matter what happens outside, she would never bring it to the scene. She's also not the type to dwell on negative emotions for too long. I think she has a mindset that things will work out. It's easy to put into words, but it's not easy to do. Especially since I’m not that kind of person, I find it more difficult.

Q: What kind of person is Joo Won?

A: For example, if I think, "I'm going to do this tonight," even if I might not do it, I'm the type of person who prepares everything I need in advance just in case. It's a troublesome personality, isn't it? (laughs). "I might exercise tonight, so I better get my jersey ready.“ Once I start thinking like that, I think about it all day long. If I leave the house without my jersey, I’ll just think, "I should come home later", but I can't do that easily.

Q: It seems you will have a lot of luggage when you go out.

A: I I always carry a bag with me. There are many men who go out without a bag, but for me, it is absolutely necessary. To be honest, I don't really use many of the things I have in my bag. Even when I'm shooting, my bag is always heavy. I always carry around the script(s) that I have finished shooting. You don't know when you might want to look back at it again. Even if you've already shot a scene, you might suddenly need to check it. "Which scene was it? I'd have to check the script.

Q: I’m curious about the contents of your bag. Besides your script, what else is in it?

A: A portable battery for my phone, snacks.... My friends call me "Doraemon". Especially when I travel, I have everything in my bag. One time we went on a trip with four friends, and when I went to pick (one of) them up, he was packing. We had to leave, but I said, "Wait a minute," and packed up properly and said, "Done!". What on earth did I put in ... (laughs). When I looked at it later, it didn't contain anything necessary. Hahaha.

I also bring shampoo that I always use. If a friend spills something on their clothes, I can take the detergent out of the bag and give it to them. So I always have a lot of luggage.

Q: I heard that your nickname on set was "the production team".

A: I’ve been working as an actor for a long time, so I share my experiences to make the scene run more effectively. On set, the production staff is around the director and the actors are behind the camera. In such a situation, there are surprisingly many times when communication between "here" and "there" does not go smoothly. I gradually realized, "Why don't we talk about this?“ I used to focus only on my own acting, but at some point I started to broaden my perspective. Also, it's interesting to hold/set up the camera at the shooting site. In the meantime, I started to participate in various things other than acting, going to the camera team and the lighting team. As I went back and forth like that, I felt like I became a lubricant. We were able to communicate properly, and the atmosphere on set improved. That wasn't my purpose from the beginning, but as I did it, I felt like everyone would be able to work harder, and from a certain point I started taking the initiative to go back and forth between various teams.

Q: It seems that everyone was happy at the shooting site.

A: I think the leading actor should play such a role. Regardless of whether the ratings are good or bad, we all have to work hard, so how we spend that time is important. I think the lead actors have a great influence on both improving the atmosphere and making it worse. In any case, I/we have to make an effort so that everyone can work in a good mood.

Morning person with a regular life

I never miss a half-body bath.

Q: If you could travel back in time to the set of "Alice," are there any scenes that you would like to re-shoot?

A: I don't think I could do it any better than I did then. I did my best in that moment. There has never been a suitable moment. Regardless of the outcome, it was the best I could do at the time, and if I could do it again, even if I could do it better, I'd like to leave it feeling a little unsatisfactory. The performances and dramas I did when I was 20 years old, the way I looked when I made my debut. Don't you think it's best to leave those things as they were at that time? Whether you were good or bad at acting, I don't think that's important.

Q: What is the best way to watch the drama for Japanese fans who are looking forward to it?

A: Don’t try to analyze it, just watch it. If you try to analyze it, it gets complicated (laughs). I simply think this way: In every world, there is a person with the same face as mine, and I am living as one of them. If there are two people on screen who look the same, don't think, "Why are there two?“ but instead, "There are two people, so one of them must be from a different world.“ I think it will be easier to understand if you simply look at it as it is.

Q: What is the first thing you want to do when the coronavirus pandemic settles down?

A: I’m sure many people are thinking the same thing, but the first thing I want to do is travel. I would like to go to Japan and the United States. When I think of Japan, I often think of fan meetings. (Fans) listening to my songs and listening to my stories. The love and affection I received from my Japanese fans and the memories we made together are wonderful. It's been a while since I've seen you, so I'll definitely come see you someday. First of all, please take care of your health and stay healthy so that we can have an even more enjoyable time together.

Q: Have you made any changes in your lifestyle or developed any new hobbies since your discharge?

A: I already used to be a morning person who lives a regular life, but now I wake up even earlier than before. I'm not the type of person who lies around in bed once I wake up. Also, since my discharge, I have been taking a half-body bath almost every day. I had a hard time with insomnia for a while, but I heard that taking a half-body bath is good when you can't sleep, so I tried it once, and that day I slept so well I felt like I had passed out. Since then, I've been doing it without fail. Thanks to the half-body bath, I feel my complexion has improved.

Q: You appeared in a musical right after the drama ended. What do musicals mean to Joo Won?

A: Hmmm… a happy place? Maybe it's because all the shows I've been in so far have been good, but when I go to the theater, I feel happy. I've never once felt uncomfortable, and when I meet my friends, I talk to them excitedly and we go to each other's dressing rooms to greet each other. That's how we start the performance in a good mood. Since all the performances are live, there are naturally going to be mistakes, but it can't be helped. You can't do it all over again, so you have to reveal everything about yourself. You can see all my good and bad sides, so sometimes I feel small, and sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I think musicals are such a profound space.

Q: I heard that your next work is the Netflix original action movie "Carter" (distribution date TBD).

A: I received and read the scenario at the end of 2020, but I didn't know it was a Netflix film at the time. The scenario was certainly interesting, but I kept wondering, "How can they film this?" and "Can I do this?“. I was so curious that I decided to act in it. I'm currently attending an action school and training almost every day. I'm also preparing by watching action movies that I can refer to. The level of action is probably 100 times higher than that of "Alice". It's quite challenging (laughs).

"Carter"

A suspense action in which the main character, Carter, who has lost his memory, is put into a mysterious operation and struggles without knowing the reason. Joo Won plays not only intense action but also the complicated emotions of the hero who is who is at the mercy of the situation in which he is placed. Directed by Jeong Byeong-gil of the popular action movie „The Villainess" (2017).

• Awesome 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Blob 3
1 hour ago, Calli said:

Hey everyone :waves:

I hope you're all having a lovely Friday! 

I've been reading Joo Won's Mediaboy interview almost every free minute I had since yesterday^^ The insights he offers (into Alice, Carter and himself) are really wonderful. 

I saved the most "readable" translation based on a mix of google, papago and DeepL in my Joo Won files and thought I'd share it in case it might be helpful for anyone here. 

I really wish so badly @manyearsagowas still around and would translate it for us. But hopefully we still got the gist~~

Thanks for the translation, now I finished reading it, this translation seems more credible, there are some translation sites that exactly know how to translate very well, so the interview turned out very well. I see how you translated it, it's very good.
Thank you for sharing the interview with us with this interview I realize how you currently think Joo Won is still a man who is very honest in answering the interview

1 hour ago, Calli said:

I received and read the scenario at the end of 2020, but I didn't know it was a Netflix film at the time. The scenario was certainly interesting, but I kept wondering, "How can they film this?" and "Can I do this?“. I was so curious that I decided to act in it. I'm currently attending an action school and training almost every day. I'm also preparing by watching action movies that I can refer to.

now that i see joo won he received the script at the end of last year how bad he was still in the musical if the musical was not running until then i think i would have finished that project

1 hour ago, Calli said:

I had a hard time with insomnia for a while, but I heard that taking a half-body bath is good when you can't sleep, so I tried it once, and that day I slept so well I felt like I had passed out. Since then, I've been doing it without fail. Thanks to the half-body bath, I feel my complexion has improved.

It also makes me sad that he has insomnia in previous years, I never had problems with that, but I think that he could acquire that in the army
  • Like 4
5 hours ago, Calli said:

Hide contents

Thanks for this translation so much @Calli!

How can you be so super fast with translation! :omg: You did it so fast..!

Not that I'm complaining.. But I'm just trying to think how non stop you worked to prepare this translation. Even with app's work there are also some other editing needs to be done... all of this you did so fast.  Thank You. :hooray2:

Really this interview enlightens a lot about Alice And Joo Won... I love how the  interview addresses important questions.. 

Ha ha... Enjoying the fact his magic backpack/luggege full of stuffs is the reason why friends give him Doraemon nickname!

I felt so sad knowing Joo Won suffered from insomnia... He is usually a early bird, so someone like him suffering from sleep deprivation must be really hard. Glad he found bathing as a solution. 

I hope insomnia goes away from uri Joo Won... Let our boy sleep. 

And Also I find it interesting that Joo Won didn't know it was a Netflix film when he was reading script first.. probably they intentionally didn't say it to the actor to see how much interested the actor in in just by script... I'm just talking about may be.

Also He talked about Jin Gyeom's approach/tone varied person to person.. I noticed that too.. Specially I remember loving the soft tone he used for Do Yeon most of the time. It showed how he cared for no matter how unfeeling he looked like. 

Over all it's a nice read. :approves:

• Like 4
  • Love 1

Thanks for the translation, @Calli! It was definitely worth the wait :hooray2:

There were a couple of points that he made that were new for me, but that I really liked:

1. JW being something of a packrat - I guessed he was the "Type A" (not related to Korean blood type, by the way) sort of personality a while ago, but it was cute that that extended to his desire to always be prepared for anything and everything that could possibly happen :P (lol - it reminds me of the time that Beenzino compared JW and Go Kyung Pyo's road trip behaviours once and I joked that they sounded like real life versions of Cha Yoo Jin and Yoo Il Rak respectively). By the way, this makes me even more curious what JW's MBTI type would be...hard to guess from what we see, but...yeah.
  2. All the behind-the-scenes stuff about the Teacher/old Jin Gyeom in Alice - My memory of the trailer is, like, super-fuzzy, so I can't recall hearing the Teacher's voice in there at all. However, as someone who has done the whole foreshadowing/knowing a plot twist before anyone else deal (albeit as a fanfic writer - not for K-dramas, but another fandom - rather than an actor), I totally could get how giddy and excited JW would have been hearing that bit in the trailer. It's like, "Oh, you guys have no idea, do you?" ;) 
  3. JW's reaction to being told he'd play his teenage self - Again, knowing where the story wound up going, it sounds almost obvious that he'd have to play the teenage Jin Gyeom (both good and evil versions) by himself. However, I remember being just as confused as JW himself must have been at first, and...yeah, now I also can't see it any other way
  4. JW wanting Kim Hee Sun to be his co-star - Longtime fans will know that JW...really doesn't have the best of luck when it comes to requesting co-stars. Like, he'll usually end up with the actress he wants (or, at least, those are the only times his request ends up making the headlines), but if I recall correctly, some of his picks got shot down by fans/netizens really harshly: Choi Kang Hee and Shim Eun Kyung in particular. But I don't recall anyone complaining about him working alongside Kim Hee Sun, so...third time's a charm, I guess ;) 
  5. JW's daily routine - Like you guys, I'm a bit saddened that he struggled with insomnia before, although, given his hectic and irregular schedule, I was honestly not surprised. Being overtired is definitely a thing: once you get used to going without sleep, it's hard to actually fall asleep once you get the chance.... :unsure: However, that said, I'm glad that he finally seems to have found a routine that works for him. I honestly have no idea what the heck a "half-body bath" is, though, so...anyone?
  • Like 5
4 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Longtime fans will know that JW...really doesn't have the best of luck when it comes to requesting co-stars. Like, he'll usually end up with the actress he wants (or, at least, those are the only times his request ends up making the headlines), but if I recall correctly, some of his picks got shot down by fans/netizens really harshly: Choi Kang Hee and Shim Eun Kyung in particular. But I don't recall anyone complaining about him working alongside Kim Hee Sun, so...third time's a charm, I guess ;) 

I don't know, but I really didn't like the couple with Choi Kang Hee, I think it was because I remembered that I was 10 years older.

6 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Like you guys, I'm a bit saddened that he struggled with insomnia before, although, given his hectic and irregular schedule, I was honestly not surprised. Being overtired is definitely a thing: once you get used to going without sleep, it's hard to actually fall asleep once you get the chance.... :unsure: However, that said, I'm glad that he finally seems to have found a routine that works for him. I honestly have no idea what the heck a "half-body bath" is, though, so...anyone?

I think that a normal bathroom is supposed to be that usually those bathrooms help one to really get tired and sleep fast

8 minutes ago, kittyna said:

lol - it reminds me of the time that Beenzino compared JW and Go Kyung Pyo's road trip behaviours once and I joked that they sounded like real life versions of Cha Yoo Jin and Yoo Il Rak respectively). By the way, this makes me even more curious what JW's MBTI type would be...hard to guess from what we see, but...yeah.

haha if it reminded me of cha yoo jin and yoo II park it seems that the characters they played seem to have a similarity with themselves

• Like 2
7 hours ago, kittyna said:

I honestly have no idea what the heck a "half-body bath" is, though, so...anyone?

Joo Won mentioning he's struggled with insomnia really made me sad as well... especially since all the footage of him in 1N2D of falling asleep easily (and sleeping like a log) is still so recent for me. I'm thinking as one grows older, worries and anxieties accumulate and grow too and sometimes that tension can really settle in your body permanently... whatever the reasons for Joo Won's sleep issues are, I'm really glad he found something that relaxes him and helps him with his sleep and his complexion^^ 

@kittynaI had actually looked up "half-body bath" a little while back because another Korean celebrity had mentioned that he loves doing them too. This short vogue article was quite informative. 

Apparently it's very important for only your lower body to soak in warm water, while your upper body remains completely dry. And you're supposed to do it for 45 minutes. Without letting your hands and arms sink into the water. I wonder if Joo Won also keeps his hands busy with a book while taking those half-body baths~ 

edit: this blog post on Korean half-baths is much more thorough 

7 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

I don't know, but I really didn't like the couple with Choi Kang Hee, I think it was because I remembered that I was 10 years older.

Honestly, I didn't feel their chemistry on screen either, but they became such great friends off screen that I don't think Joo Won had any regrets about his Kang Hee noona co-starring with him in 7th GCS^^ Everything he said about her whenever he mentioned her was so full of love and appreciation. With the way Joo Won values the relationships and friendships he makes with his fellow actors and his co-stars on set, I'm thinking he probably doesn't put too much importance on whether netizens approve of his "picks" or not... just a feeling. 

13 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

But I'm just trying to think how non stop you worked to prepare this translation. Even with app's work there are also some other editing needs to be done... all of this you did so fast.  Thank You. 

You're very welcome, dear @flutterby06. I'm usually not fast. But trying to understand our Joo Won's thoughts gave me "super-focus", haha^^ 

:dorashakes:

(I'll probably be using the Doreamon emojis way more often from now on^^)

Even through this is only a rough translation at best, his thoughtfulness and heart still shine. I hope once promotions for Firefighters and Carter start there will be many more Joo Won interviews for us to decipher~ I'll probably say "If only I spoke Korean" on endless loop then but even understanding just a bit and roughly when it comes to Joo Won's words is gold :wub:

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
9 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

4 hours ago, Calli said:

Honestly, I didn't feel their chemistry on screen either, but they became such great friends off screen that I don't think Joo Won had any regrets about his Kang Hee noona co-starring with him in 7th GCS^^ Everything he said about her whenever he mentioned her was so full of love and appreciation. With the way Joo Won values the relationships and friendships he makes with his fellow actors and his co-stars on set, I'm thinking he probably doesn't put too much importance on whether netizens approve of his "picks" or not... just a feeling. 

Considering that Level 7 Civil Servant was almost ten years ago, I imagine that JW would react differently now to netizens' comments than he did back then. Because if I recall correctly, Choi Kang Hee said that JW was really upset when he found out about the negative comments she was getting from his fans. That early stage in his career was also when he dissolved one fan club (or fan café - memory's fuzzy) due to some members starting up drama. So, for a time, actually, JW really did care: not so much what people thought of him, but what people thought of those he chose to care about (his fans, other actors, etc.).

We all know how fiercely loyal and protective he could be (just watch him with his hyungs on 1N2D), and he also held his fans to a pretty high standard in terms of kindness and empathy: trashing other actors online was one of the few behaviours he would not tolerate back then.

However, I can also see how he'd be way more level-headed about the same sort of thing now, and that shows the extent to which he's grown and matured as a person over the years.

5 hours ago, Calli said:

I had actually looked up "half-body bath" a little while back because another Korean celebrity had mentioned that he loves doing them too. This short vogue article was quite informative. 

Apparently it's very important for only your lower body to soak in warm water, while your upper body remains completely dry. And you're supposed to do it for 45 minutes. Without letting your hands and arms sink into the water. I wonder if Joo Won also keeps his hands busy with a book while taking those half-body baths~ 

edit: this blog post on Korean half-baths is much more thorough 

Thanks for the explanation! lol - I wonder how on earth JW manages to squeeze that into his already-packed schedule, but hey, if it works for him.... :) 

lol - I'm not sure about reading, though; I'm actually imagining him being on his phone :lol:

By the way, I know you guys already shared one piece of fanart by this artist, but if you haven't checked out the rest (or followed them on Instagram), you really should. ;) 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, kittyna said:

So, for a time, actually, JW really did care: not so much what people thought of him, but what people thought of those he chose to care about (his fans, other actors, etc.).

I think we're talking about two separate things @kittyna. What I meant was that Joo Won's preferences on who he'd like to act with wouldn't have been affected by whether netizens approved of them or not. Of course he was upset over negative comments towards Choi Kang Hee (or anyone he cares about) because of who he is; namely, like you said, someone very protective of the people he loves and fiercely loyal to them. He'd be especially upset if those comments are made by his fans, who in a way are "his" people and should know and appreciate him and his values.

But I don't see him ever waver in his choices/picks regarding his co-stars because of what netizens might feel about them. 

3 hours ago, kittyna said:

Thanks for the explanation! lol - I wonder how on earth JW manages to squeeze that into his already-packed schedule, but hey, if it works for him.... :) 

lol - I'm not sure about reading, though; I'm actually imagining him being on his phone :lol:

Yeah, I wondered about that too^^ but if it is as helpful for his sleep as he said, then he would make the time for it, probably as part of his routine right before going to bed. 

Oh, from your words I gather Joo Won isn't much of a book reader? I kinda pegged him as one, haha^^ 

I probably had these lovely photos in mind: 

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Awesome 1
2 hours ago, kittyna said:

Considering that Level 7 Civil Servant was almost ten years ago, I imagine that JW would react differently now to netizens' comments than he did back then. Because if I recall correctly, Choi Kang Hee said that JW was really upset when he found out about the negative comments she was getting from his fans. That early stage in his career was also when he dissolved one fan club (or fan café - memory's fuzzy) due to some members starting up drama. So, for a time, actually, JW really did care: not so much what people thought of him, but what people thought of those he chose to care about (his fans, other actors, etc.).

That I really did not know but as you say seeing how joo won gets along with his co-stars if they offend them in any way try to defend them as an example to kim tae hee there was a lot of hate comment saying that he acted badly for me his acting was not done very good before yongpal i had seen her on the stairway to heaven it is a classic drama in my country and i saw it that intensive drama the hallyu wave in my country so of course it hit my country and i really loved her performance in that drama i act bad and if she made me hate her and well with choi kang hee I don't really hate her either but I think playing a couple with a lot of age difference I don't like even though she looked young I liked her friendship first of all

By the way, I know you guys already shared one piece of fanart by this artist, but if you haven't checked out the rest (or followed them on Instagram), you really should.

I also recently followed her yesterday I found her in recommendations I liked

We all know how fiercely loyal and protective he could be (just watch him with his hyungs on 1N2D), and he also held his fans to a pretty high standard in terms of kindness and empathy: trashing other actors online was one of the few behaviours he would not tolerate back then.

for some reason his chemistry with kim tae hee and kim hee sun's are the ones that I have loved the most, I simply loved his friendship with kim hee sun on the set and in yongpal I liked kim tae hee since his chemistry on the screen It felt so real and now I realize why she said they were so close that they couldn't get closer I guess she said because she was in a relationship with Rain her personalities seemed to be the same Kim Tae he I know her very well she has always been gentle with all her co-stars but especially I think his chemistry with Joo Won was the best couple he had

• Like 2

Our Joo Won has become a designer too^^ 

Park Jeong Sik posted 4 pics a little while ago showing the workout clothes he had especially made for them with Joo Won's design. 

Papago gave me this for the caption: 

"Hulk's image that you drew and wrote for hyung. 
And every time I exercise, I shout onemore!!**
Put it together like this! I made our team's sportswear myself! 
'The world's only one Joowon designed it himself'! Isn't it cute and pretty?^^ Let's wear these clothes and work out hard ^^"

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • LOL 1
  • Awesome 1
5 hours ago, Calli said:

Our Joo Won has become a designer too^^ 

Park Jeong Sik posted 4 pics a little while ago showing the workout clothes he had especially made for them with Joo Won's design. 

Papago gave me this for the caption: 

"Hulk's image that you drew and wrote for hyung. 
And every time I exercise, I shout onemore!!**
Put it together like this! I made our team's sportswear myself! 
'The world's only one Joowon designed it himself'! Isn't it cute and pretty?^^ Let's wear these clothes and work out hard ^^"

I like that he exercised but I really don't know but since he exercises so much I worry about joo won I don't want him to have a bodybuilder's body for me it would be great if he only had few muscles I hope he is also eating well it is okay to diet but with the diet that He said that it made me worry

• Like 3

Joo Won just posted a "thank you" insta story for a support truck he received from sakura.zw today :dorashakes:

spacer.png

Some of his caption, according to papago:

"You really come every day♡

i love u
Thank you from the bottom of my heart :love:

He also wrote "Carter physical strength 100%" so I guess he's reassuring us he's healthy and is doing well~ I'm so glad!! 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1