Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

These days, I think a lot about whether it would be better to accept and enjoy life as it is, wouldn't that be happiness?"

(Alternatively I got: "Wouldn't it be better to accept the way they are and live happily, isn't that what happiness is? I think about that a lot these days." 

He is still such a sincere actor and now that I think about it joo won had nothing to post before and when he has something to update he tries to keep them up to date like today that even on instagram he put something but the best of this wait we are going to have joo won In several programs promoting and on Netflix obviously I have seen some actors promoting there and like the joo won movie with another movie they are the first of Netflix we are going to have many more promotions

1 hour ago, Calli said:

I will say though that amongst all the Joo Won dramas I've watched, I felt Yongpal was the drama where, as the episodes progressed, I thought I could almost trace Joo Won's growing physical tiredness in his face and a little bit even in his posture... 

exactly is that as he said he was the one who carried almost all the time on screen kim tae hee at first he only spent in bed what made joo won almost carry all the load I think in the chapters that I saw him more tired it was because the final chapters

13 minutes ago, kittyna said:

That's because Yong Pal was one of the most intense dramas JW's ever been in, filming-wise. It was a live shoot (which is hectic to begin with) and featured a story where Kim Tae Hyun (i.e. JW) was in the vast majority of scenes. This meant that they could only make minimal use of the typical Team A/Team B sort of filming, as JW had to be physically present most of the time. This led to a super-busy back-to-back schedule where JW wound up working around the clock for several days at a time.

The impressive thing about this is that he gave his maximum performance even they are too tired he did a great job his character was totally opposite to joo won while he is like a child taehyun is simply very mature

• Like 5

Acemaker movies, the distributor of Firefighters Film released this list of 5 movies that they plan to screen before Cannes.. So I looked up Cannes festival 2021 and it's in July. 

http://acemaker.co.kr/en/m/press/press_detail6.html

So even though it could be a release or just a special screen we can be hopeful of getting something about movie Firefighter in July or at least some major progress towards final release.

There's also a date of 21/06/2021 and 22/06/2021, who knows what it means.

I don't know anything about how these screening before film festival goes. If any of you know anything enlighten me please.

• Like 3
  • Blob 1

On 6/23/2021 at 3:21 PM, kittyna said:

That's because Yong Pal was one of the most intense dramas JW's ever been in, filming-wise. It was a live shoot (which is hectic to begin with) and featured a story where Kim Tae Hyun (i.e. JW) was in the vast majority of scenes. This meant that they could only make minimal use of the typical Team A/Team B sort of filming, as JW had to be physically present most of the time. This led to a super-busy back-to-back schedule where JW wound up working around the clock for several days at a time.

So if that shows in his appearance, there is actually a reason behind it beyond it making sense for his character (which it does, actually).

Absolutely. From all the behind-the-scenes and makings I've seen, and from what Joo Won said during his Daesang acceptance speech, I had the very same impression. 

You guys, I received my copy of "MEDIABOY" vol3 a little while ago :partyblob:

It was supposed to arrive on July 2nd but it arrived today^^ 

The printing is very interesting. This is my first Japanese magazine and I didn't know they are to be read from back-to-front. Joo Won's cover is actually on the last page, if you're used to reading from left to right, and the Japanese in the interview is printed vertically. No clue how we're going to translate this but I'll share my photos of the pages here and hopefully we'll find a way~ I hope the quality is okay. 

photos in the order they're printed, back-to-front:

Spoiler

20210623-142947-wm.jpg

20210623-154203-wm.jpg

20210623-154232-wm.jpg

20210623-154258-wm.jpg

20210623-154330-wm.jpg

20210623-154355-wm.jpg

20210623-154416-wm.jpg

20210623-154102-wm.jpg

20210623-153827-wm.jpg

interview text:

Spoiler

Joo Won’s Mediaboy interview

p. 3:

高校時代のシーン まさか自分で演じるとは()

「猟奇的な彼女」でインタビュ ーして以来 (本誌84号掲載)ですね。当時、放送が始まる前に人隊されま したが、軍隊ではドラマを見られま したか。その時は見られませんでした。僕が訓練兵だった時に放送が始ま ったのですが、宿舎にテレビがな かったんです。ファンの皆さんが軍 隊のインターネットの手紙で、ドラ マの評判を教えてくださいました。ドラマは除隊してからまとめて見ました。

恋人を見送るような気持ちで何 度もご覧になったと聞きましたが。

「猟奇的な彼女」を選んだ理由が、ファンのためでした。それまでは、キャラクターの個性が強かったり、何か新しく挑戦できる役を主にや ってきたのですが、たくさんのファンの方から「ラブコメに出てほしい」と言われていたんです。なので、入隊する前に一度はファンが好む作品 に出てみようと思って選んだ作品だったので、より一層愛着がありました。

「アリス」も俳優として挑戦と いえる部分が多かった作品だと思います。出演を決めた理由は?

他の俳優の方も似たような思いをしたことがあると思うのですが、除隊する頃って、いろいろ考えるんです。除隊したらどんな作品、どん な演技をするべきかって。それから、僕が軍隊にいた2年間で放送環境がとても変わってしまって。ご存じの通り、ネット配信も広く普及し始めましたし。そんな状況もあって、できれば平凡ではない、新鮮な作品をやりたいと思いました。「アリス」の台本を読んで、タイムトラベルというテーマと先天的な失感情症というキャラクターに興味が湧いて、出演を決めました。

パク·ジンギョムというキャラクターを作り上げる際に、気を使った点は?

一番大事なのは、職業が刑事だということです。ジンギョムは、生まれつき感情がない人物なので、感情の変化が少ない職業なら難しくなかったと思いますが、刑事になって 母親の死の真相を 暴いていく過程で感情の変化が思った以上に多くて。それをどの程度のレベルで表現するかが難しかったです。演じる僕がキャラクターの感情を疑ってはならないので、「このレベールなら表現しても良さそうだ」というラインを自分で見つけなければなりませんでした。いろいろ悩んでしまい、監督とも何度も話し合いました。それで、母親や友達など、自分が愛する人たちに関連した出来事が起きたときには感情を爆発させる。というふうに細かい部分をあらかじめ決めておいて演じました。俳優は、演技で視聴者に感情を伝えなければならないし、そのためには当然表現をしなければならないので、うまく伝えられるライン」を見つけるのが一番難しかったです。

高校生の制服姿でも登場されましたね。

台本を読んで、高校時代の場面が非常に大事だと思いました。正直、最初に台本を頂いた時は、その場面までの内容だったので、その後もずっと高校生のジンギョムが登場

———————————

Title of the interview on the bottom of page 3

チュウォン

新たな俳優人生が幕開け! 複雑な難役で見せた存在感

ついにチュウォンが帰ってきた。17 年に「猟奇的な彼女」(SBS)の放送を待たずに入隊。19年の除隊後、その復帰作に注目が集まっていたが、彼が選んだのは SFファンタジー「アリス(原題)(20 SBS)。元々性格の良さは折り紙付きの彼。今回は明るいチュウォンと、さらに明るくフランクなキム·ヒソンのおかげで、現場の雰囲気は抜群だったそうだ。久しぶりに会った彼は、以前と変わらず穏やかなまま、ゆったりした口調で、「アリス」をはじめミュージカルや新作について語ってくれた。「アリス」でスタートを切った第2の俳優人生、これからますます活躍していくであろう姿を見守りたい、そんな気分になったインタビューだった。

—————————-

p. 4 (continuing from p.3)

するとは誰も思っていなくて()。しかも、高校時代を僕が演じるとは思ってもいませんでした。僕は軍隊も行ってきた年齢だし、当然子役が演じるだろうと思っていたのですが、初めての打ち合わせで監督が僕を見て、「高校生を演じてもイケそうだな」と。ハハハ。僕が答えに困っていたら、「このキャラクターに関して重要な部分なので、役者が変わったらそこだけ浮いてしまいそうだ。できれば自分で演じてほしい」と説得されて、制服を着ることにしました!その後、全体的にドラマを見てみたら、やっぱり高校時代のジンギョムの場面が非常に大事だったと改めて思いましたし、自分で演じることにして良かったと思いました。

相手役で親子役ヒソンさんと共演できて幸せ

相手役にキム·ヒソンさん(ユン·テイ/パク·ソニョン 2)が決まった時、いかがでしたか。監督と打ち合わせをした際に「ヒソン姉さんだったらいいな」という話をしていたので、出演の知らせを聞いて、すごくうれしかったです。最初は、相手役と親子の演技もしなければならないと聞いて、うまく想像できなくて。でも、だからこそヒソン姉さんにその役を演じてほしいと思ったんです。一方では親子役だけれど、もう一方では同年代で、それ以前の過去も登場するし

こんな幅広い年齢とキャラクターをこなせる俳優は、あまりいないと思います。ヒソン姉さんにとっても挑戦だったと思いますが、それだけいい役だったし、姉さんならうまく演じられると信じていました。共演できて本当にうれしかったし、幸せでした。一日中、姉さんの横にくっ付いていました、ハハハ。

具体的に、どのようなところが良かったですか。

撮影現場っていつもバタバタしているし、場の空気もピリピリしているので、本当にいろいろな事が起きるんです。そんな現場をヒソン姉さんがうまくまとめているのを見て、勉強になりました。現場に姉さんがいることで、雰囲気がすごく明るくなって、和やかになるんです。撮影は大変だけれど、一緒に演技するのは楽しくて。僕もそんなに神経質なタイプではないので、姉さんとも気が合いました。姉さんは俳優としてももちろん素晴らしい方ですが、人と接するときに壁を作らないし、性格も非常に明るく、人間としても魅力あふれる方です。本当にたくさん笑わせてもらいました。

ー序盤で、死んだ母親にそっくりなテイを見て涙を流すジンギョムの姿が印象的でした。

泣いていいのか、泣くとしたらどう泣くのか、ジンギョムは失感情症なのに涙は流すのかなどなど、その時は序盤だったので、まだ方向性をつかみ切れずにいました。なので、ああだこうだといろいろ試しながら何度も撮影しました。頭で想像するのと実際に演じるのとでは、印象がまた違うんです。やってみて、初めて「これもいいね」と気付くこともあります。いろんなことを試してみて、その中から一番説得力があるものを監督が選んでいました。

ー後からCGが加わるシーンは、出来上がりを想像しながら演じなければならなかったと思いますが、不安はありませんでしたか。

視聴者が見た完成形を、僕らは文章と口頭説明だけで理解しなければならなかったので、どんな映像になるのか想像できませんでした。銃やドローンを現場で見ても、これが画面にどう映るのか分からないし。例えば、タイムカードに触れたら、周囲の物が宙に浮かぶ。という場面も、「CGでこうなる」と説明されても、理解するのは難しかったです。「本当にそうなるの?」とちょっと疑ったりもしました()。でも、テイがテイに会ったとき、ジンギョムがジンギョムに会ったとき、そういうシーンは僕の想像以上に素晴らしい映像になったと思います。

-ストーリー自体は難しく感じませんでしたか。

正直、台本を何度も読んで、監督からも説明を聞いて演じたので、ほとんど理解していました。でも、両親と一緒にドラマを見ると、いつも難しそうにしていて。それを見て、「視聴者から見たら、分かりにくいかもしれない」と思いました。両親の場合は僕ができるだけ説明したので理解しながら見てくれましたが、視聴者には僕が説明できないので。難しかったらどうしようと、少し心配していました。

ー似たジャンルの他のドラマよりは、説明が丁寧だったような気がします。

台本を何度も修正しました。内容が少し難しいかもしれないと思ったら、できるだけ丁寧に説明して視聴者が理解しやすいように台本を直したんです。特に、年配の方が分かりやすいようにシンプルにしようと努力しました。若い人はすぐに理解できても、年配の方は物語に付いていくのも大変かもしれませんから。どんな方でも理解しやすいドラマを作れたということはうれしく思っています。

(p.5)

1人多役は珍しい

俳優としては面白かった

ーストーリーの難しさ、CGの多用など、俳優も制作陣も全員がかな

り苦労されたのでは?

ジンギョムが初めてタイムトラベルするシーンでは、同じ場所で、僕以外の全てを丸ごと変えて撮ったんです。小道具も変えて、CGで背景の建物も少しずつ変えて、エキストラたちの衣装も変えて。全てを変えなければならなかったので、やることが普段の2倍以上ありました。撮影期間も非常に長くて、俳優だけでなく、スタッフも全員が本当に苦労したと思います。

ーアクションシーンがとてもカッコ良かったです。どこまでご自身で演じたのですか。

80%以上かな? 難易度の高いアクションや引きのカットは代役がやってくれましたが、大体は自分でやりました。

1話で屋上の梁を歩くシーンも、直接演じたのですか。

はい。撮影前日まで心配していましたが、安全だと信じていたので、これくらいならできそうだと思いました。

ートンネルのシーンもカッコ良かったです。

トンネルとその周りの道路を丸ごと貸し切って撮影しました。CGを使った部分ももちろんあります。リアルに全てを撮ると危険ですからね。車から車に飛び移るといったシーンを実際に撮る時は、動いている車のボンネットに主演俳優がしがみ付いているので、アクションチームはものすごく緊張しているんです。僕自身もできるだけ気を付けて演じるようにしましたが、まずはそのシーンをしっかり撮らなくてはという気持ちが強かったです。序盤での見せ場でしたし、主に映画に使われるシステムを使って撮影するなど、監督もとても神経を使って撮影していました。カッコいい映像になるといいなと期待しながら撮影したのですが、実際いい映像に仕上がってうれしいです。

ー図書館のアクションシーンについては、いかがですか。

本当に大変でした。あれは3日か4日くらい徹夜で撮影したんです。撮影した場所が実際にはカフェだったので、昼間は営業しなければならなくて、僕らは夜だけしか撮影できなかったんです。あの広い空間全体を使って夜通し撮影したのですが、アクションも多いし、撮るべきカットも多くて、とても時間がかかりました。

p.6

ー失感情症で無愛想なジンギョムとは違い、チュウォンさんは優しい性格だと有名ですが。

無愛想ではないと思います()。メールするときも絵文字をたくさん使います。僕もそうですが、普通はいくら短くても言葉に感情が入るものじゃないですか。でも、ジンギョムはそういう部分まであってはならないのかといろいろ悩んで。その結果、表情はなくても言葉である程度は表現しようという結論になりました。あと、誰と一緒にいるかによって、少しずつ変化をつけました。ドヨン(イ·ダイン扮)といるときと、テイといるときでは、分囲気に少し違いが出るように演じました。

ー最初はキム·ヒソンさんだけ12役かと思っていましたが、チュウォンさんをはじめ、予想以上に多くの方が12役でしたね。

ヒソン姉さんと僕は、1人多役でしたね。僕だけ見ても、高校生のジンギョム、現在のジンギョム、悪いジンギョム、老人のジンギョムなど、非常に多いじゃないですか。1つの作品でここまでたくさんの役を演じられる機会はなかなかないので、俳優としてはとても面白い作品でした。いろいろな人物を演じながら、僕ら同士も「楽しいね」と話していました。

ー老人の姿には驚きました!

老人役は、最初から知っていました。なので、撮影の前に特殊メークに使うマスクも全部準備しておいたのですが、それを着けるだけで3時間かかりました。メークだけでひと苦労です。老人の声も、最初は監督が「機械で作ろうか」と言っていたのですが、「自分で作ってきます」と言いました。幸い、メークと声がうまくハマりました。もし最初に聞かされてなくて途中で「老人役を」と言われていたら、声までは研究していけなかったと思います。老人になったときにどういう顔になるか、マスクを見て分かっていたので、それに合わせて声も作れたんです。実は、最初の予告編に老人役の僕の声が出てくるんです。僕が老人を演じるなんて誰も知らない時だったので、僕独りで「あ、声が入ってる!」と面白がっていました。実はすごく重要な物語の鍵なのに、視聴者の皆さんは誰も知らないんですからね。

ハハハ。

ー撮影していて楽しかったシーンや、アドリブを入れたシーンは?

テイとドヨン、ドンホ(イ·ジェユン扮)と歌いながら踊る場面があるのですが、元々ジンギョムが踊るという設定はなかったんです。ヒソン姉さんに踊りを教えていたら、それを見た監督が「ジンギョムもちょっと踊ってみてよ」と言うから、踊ったんです。それが編集でカットされず、そのまま生かされました。楽しかった撮影は、遊園地のシーン。僕はジェットコースターなどもあまり怖いと思わないので、大体どのアトラクションも好きなんです。でも、今は新型コロナウイルスのせいで遊園地に行けるような状況ではないじゃないですか。それが、撮影のおかげで遊園地に行けて。もちろんいろんな制限はありましたが、幸いアトラクションに乗るシーンがあったので、楽しく撮影できました。天気もすごくいい日で。

バッグに何でも入ってる

あだ名はドラえもん

毎話、冒頭に名言が登場しますが、その中で印象的だった言葉はありますか。あるいは、普段から心に刻んでいる言葉はありますか。

特別な言葉ではありませんが、「幸せにならなくちゃ」とよく言います。誰でもそうだと思いますが、誰もがさまざまな状況の中で、いいことやつらいことを経て生きているじゃないですか。いつも幸せでいられるわけではないし、自分の中にしこりができたり、傷がひどくなったりすることもあります。でも、似たような状況でも、それを明るい気持ちで乗り越えられる人もいれば、そうでない人もいます。そういうときは、ありのままを柔軟に受け取めて楽しみながら生きたらどうかな、それが幸せではないかな、そんなことを最近よく考えます。僕、無駄に真面目にいろいろ考え込んでしまうタイプなんです。とてもささいなことでも真面目に受け止めていたのですが、「なんで自分はあのと「はきあんなに真剣に考えていたんだろう」とふと思って。特に何かきっかけがあったわけではないのですが。あったけど、覚えていないだけかな? とにかく最近、両親ともそんな話をよくしています。

相手役だったキム·ヒソンさんの影響を受けたのでは?

それもあると思います。ヒソン姉さんを隣で見ていて、そう感じた気がします。ヒソン姉さんもきっとストレスがあるだろうし、気にしていることもあると思いますが、現場で一度もそれを表に出したことがありませんでした。姉さんは、外でどんなことがあったとしても、現場には絶対に持ち込まないタイプです。それから、ネガティブな感情を長く引きずるタイプでもありません。何とかなる、というマインドの方なのだと思います。言葉にするのは簡単ですが、なかなかできることではありません。特に僕はそういう性格ではないので、より難しく感じます。

p.7 (photo)

p.8

チュウォンさんはどんなタイプですか。

例えば「今夜これをしよう」と思ったら、やらないかもしれないけれど、もしものために必要なことはあらかじめ全部準備しておくタイプです。面倒な性格でしょう?()

「今夜運動するかもしれないから、ジャージーを用意しておこうかな?」、そんなことを考え始めると、一日中ずっと考えてしまうんです。もしジャージーを持たずに家を出たなら、「あとで家に寄ればいいや」と思えばいいのですが、それがなかなかできないんです。

外出時、荷物が多くなりそうですね。

バッグはいつも持ち歩いています。バッグを持たずに外出する男性も多いですが、僕は絶対に必要です。正直、バッグの中に入っている物のうち、実際に使う物は少ないんです。撮影のときも、バッグはいつも重いです。撮り終えた分の台本も、いつも持ち歩いていたり。いつまたそれを見返したくなるか分からないじゃないですか。撮り終えたシーンでも急に確認する必要が出てくるかもしれないし。「どのシーンだっけ?」と、台本を確認しなければならないですから。

p. 9

ーバッグの中身が気になります。台本以外にも、何が入っているのですか。

スマホの携帯バッテリー、おやつ。友達は僕のことを「ドラえもん」と呼びます。特に旅行のときは、僕のバッグに何でも入っているんです。あるとき友達4人と旅行したのですが、僕が友達を迎えに行ったら、彼はその時になって荷造りをしていたんです。出発しなければならないのに、「ちょっと待ってて」と言って、適当に荷物を詰めて「できたよ!」と。一体何を入れたんだか…()。あとで見てみたら、必要なものは何も入っていませんでした。ハハハ。僕は、シャンプーなんかもいつも使っているものを持っていきます。友達が服に何かをこぼしたら、バッグから洗剤を取り出して渡したり。なので、いつも荷物が多いんです。

ー現場でのニックネームが,演出チーム、だったそうですが。

俳優として長く活動してきたので、より効果的に現場が回るように僕の経験を共有したりしています。現場では監督の周りに制作スタッフがいて、カメラ越しに俳優がいて。そんな状況でこちら。とあちら。で意思疎通がスムーズにいかないときも意外と多いんです。「なぜこれを伝えないんだろう?」ということが、だんだんと僕にも見えてきて。以前は自分の演技だけをやっていましたが、あるときから視野が広くなりました。それから、撮影現場でカメラを構えたりするのが面白いんです。そうしているうちに、演技以外のことにもいろいろと参加するようになり、カメラチームに行ったり、照明チームに行ったりしていました。そんなふうにあちこち行き来していると、自分が潤滑油になったような気になって。コミュニケーションもきちんと取れるし、現場の雰囲気も良くなりました。最初からそれが目的だったわけではないのですが、やっているうちに全員がより一生懸命頑張れる現場になっていく気がして、あるときから率先していろんなチームを行き来するようになりました。

ー全員が幸せな撮影現場だったようですね。

主演俳優がそういう役割を担うべきだと思います。視聴率の良しあしにかかわらず、仕事が大変なのがはみんな同じですから、その時間をどう過ごすかが大事です。現場の雰囲気を良くするのも、悪くするのも、主演俳優の影響が大きいと思います。どうせなら全員がいい気分で仕事ができるよう努力しなくちゃね。

規則的な生活の朝型人間

半身浴は欠かしません

ー「アリス」の現場にタイムトラベルできるとしたら、もう一度撮り直したいシーンはありますか。

あの時以上に完璧にはできないと思います。その瞬間に僕のベストを尽くしましたから。適当だった瞬間なんて一度もありません。結果がどうであれ、あの時の僕にとってはあれがベストでしたし、もしもう一度やったらもっとうまくできるとしても、ちょっと物足りない姿はそのまま残しておきたいです。僕が20歳の頃にやった公演やドラマ、デビューした時の姿。そういうのは、その時のその姿のままが一番いいと思いませんか? 演技がうまいとか下手とか、そういうのは大事ではないと思います。

ドラマを楽しみにしている日本のファンにおススメの視聴方法は?

分析しようとせず、ただそのまま見てください。分析しようとすると、ややこしくなります()。僕は単純に考えるんです。「どの時代にも僕と同じ顔をした僕がいる。今の僕は、そのうちの1人として生きているだけだ」と。画面に同じ人が2人いても「なぜ2人なの?」と考えず、「2人いるのか。1人は違う世界から来たのだな」と、単純にそのまま見ていただけたら分かりやすいと思います。

新型コロナウイルスが落ち着いたら、まずやりたいことは?

多くの方も同じ考えだと思いますが、まずは旅行です。日本とアメリカに行きたいですね。日本というと、ファンミーティングのこと

をよく思い出します。僕の歌を聴いて、話を聞いてくださって。日本のファンの皆さんから頂いた愛情、一緒に作った思い出はとても素晴らしいものです。しばらくお会いできていない分、いつか必ず会いに行きます。その時より一層楽しい時間を過ごせるよう、まずは健康に気を付けて元気でいてほしいです。

除隊後、生活習慣の変化や新たにできた趣味はありますか。

元々規則正しく生活する朝型人間なのですが、以前よりももっと朝早く起きるようになりました。一度目が覚めたら、そのままベッドでゴロゴロするタイプではないんです。あ、それから除隊後、半身浴をほぼ毎日しています。一時期、不眠症でつらかったのですが、眠れないときは半身浴がいいと聞いて一度やってみたら、その日は気絶したようにぐっすり眠れたんです。それからは欠かさずやっています。半身浴のおかげで、顔色も良くなった気がします。

ドラマ終了後、すぐにミュージカルに出演されましたね。チュウォンさんにとってミュージカルとは?

うーん、幸せな空間? これまで出た公演がどれも良かったからか、劇場に行くと幸せな気分になれるんです。一度も嫌だと思ったことがなく、仲間に会ったらハイテンションで声を掛け合って、お互いの楽屋に行ってあいさつして。そうやっていい気分で公演を始めるんです。公演は全てがライブなので当然ミスすることもありますが、仕方がないことじゃないですか。やり直すことはできないので、自分の全てをさらけ出すしかありません。僕のいい姿、良くない姿が全て見えるので、時には自分が小さくも思えるし、時には圧倒的な存在に思えることもあって。ミュージカルは、そういう奥深い空間だと思います。

次回作は、ネットフリックスオリジナルのアクション映画『カーター』(配信日未定) ★だそうですね。

20年末にシナリオを頂いて読んだのですが、その時はネットフリックスの作品だとは知りませんでした。シナリオは確かに面白いけれど、「これをどうやって撮るんだろう」「こんなことができるの?」と何度も思ってしまって。あまりに気になっったので、出演を決めました。今はアクションスクールに通って、ほぼ毎日トレーニングしています。参考にできそうなアクション映画も見たりして準備しています。アクションのレベルは、たぶん「アリス」の100倍くらい? かなり難易度が高いんです()

★『カーター』

記憶を失った主人公カーターが、理由も分からないまま謎の作戦に投入され奮闘するサスペンスアクション。チュウォンは激しいアクションはもちろん、自分が置かれた状況に翻ろうされる主人公の複雑な心情を演じる。好評だったアクション映画『悪女/AKUJO](17)のチョン·ビョンギル監督作。

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

12 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

So even though it could be a release or just a special screen we can be hopeful of getting something about movie Firefighter in July or at least some major progress towards final release.

There's also a date of 21/06/2021 and 22/06/2021, who knows what it means.

I don't know anything about how these screening before film festival goes. If any of you know anything enlighten me please.

woau thanks for the information hopefully our joo won movies is there but i would say yes since they say that the story that the movie will tell was a big case in korea
3 minutes ago, Calli said:

I'll share that some time later as soon as I find the time~

Thank you very much if you pass it I will try to help you translate it I have an application that translates images
20 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I think it is a pre-release, that is, a movie that is screened before the cannes festival is what I manage to understand
  • Like 4

21 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

InAcemaker movies the distributor of Firefighters Film released this list of 5 movies that the plan to screen before Cannes.. So I looked up Cannes festival 2021 and it's in July. 

http://acemaker.co.kr/en/m/press/press_detail6.html

Thanks so much for finding and sharing that info @flutterby06:heartxoxo:

The way I understood it the pre-screening of the listed movies (including Firefighter) already took place yesterday and the day before. I wonder if it will be screened during the Cannes Festival as well. Either way, I hope that means there will be a domestic release in South Korea soon!! 

• Like 5
  • Awesome 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Calli said:

You guys, I received my copy of "MEDIABOY" vol3 a little while ago :partyblob:

It was supposed to arrive on July 2nd but it arrived today^^ 

The printing is very interesting. This is my first Japanese magazine and I didn't know they are to be read from back-to-front. Joo Won's cover is actually on the last page, if you're used to reading from left to right, and the Japanese in the interview is printed vertically. No clue how we're going to translate this but I'll share my photos of the pages here and hopefully we'll find a way~ I hope the quality is okay. 

photos in the order they're printed, back-to-front:

Hide contents

Wow .. that's a super fast delivery considering the issue got release just 2 days ago.. 

The photos looks so nice.. @Calli you must be super happy rceveing it.:partyblob:

Joo won looks so cool ... got a mini heart attack from 4th and 5th picture... seriously why so handsome! :please:

Thanks for sharing this with us. :fullofhearts:

I'm feeling super excited.. I mean even tho it'll take sometime I'm sure you'll be able to put together something from this Magazine even tho it may take a bit of time and lot of effort. :)

@Andrea Balcazar and @Calli thanks for your information on movie screening. I don't really follow movie industries much. 

Hope the movie got good review.

1 hour ago, Calli said:

I wonder if it will be screened during the Cannes Festival as well. Either way, I hope that means there will be a domestic release in South Korea soon!! 

My thoughts exactly. If it gets a chance in Cannes that'll be great but I'll be very glad if it gets enough favourable reviews from this pre screening and makes its way soon towards movie theatre.

But I think we can safely assume that as Firefighter movie is prepared enough to screen, it post production work most probably almost finished.

• Like 3
  • Love 1

41 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Andrea Balcazar and @Calli thanks for your information on movie screening. I don't really follow movie industries much. 

Hope the movie got good review.

I also have no idea about film productions in Korea but I suppose that when they do that they are always getting ready to take it to the cinema and as pre cannes says it means that the film will be taken to the cannes festival with the other films, we really hope so This movie did well at the box office since it is a true story and that Korean people know, hopefully people see it and also that the reputation of joo won in movies rises significantly since most of his films were terrible

• Like 3

2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

The photos looks so nice.. @Calli you must be super happy rceveing it.

Joo won looks so cool ... got a mini heart attack from 4th and 5th picture... seriously why so handsome! 

Thanks for sharing this with us. 

I'm feeling super excited.. I mean even tho it'll take sometime I'm sure you'll be able to put together something from this Magazine even tho it may take a bit of time and lot of effort. :)

Oh yay^^ I'm so happy you enjoyed the photos @flutterby06~ knowing this made even just one other Joo Won loving heart happy makes spending time on this worth it^^ I mentioned "time" because it took me a lot of it to scan, transform pic to text, and then check every single line of text (my pic to text transformer had a bit of trouble with the vertical Japanese and with deciphering the numbers within the text) just for the first 3 pages of the interview (there are 6 pages overall):dead:

I decided to just share the transcribed Japanese text with everyone instead of the photos. You can use the text as the basis for a translation~

I'll paste the text into my previous post, and the next 3 pages will follow as soon as possible :)

• Like 3
  • Love 1

18 hours ago, kittyna said:

Going off on a weird tangent, then - considering that @flutterby06 also mentioned Nae Il's Cantabile - I want to ask all of you guys: which drama role do you think had the best "look" for JW?

All drama roles where he showed his abs. :sweats:

#teamshallow

• Like 4
  • LOL 2

Spoiler

School scene No way to play by yourself (laughs)

It's been since I interviewed her with "My Sassy Girl" (published in issue 84 of this magazine). At that time, she was corpsed before the broadcast started, but did you see the drama in the army? I couldn't see it at that time. The broadcast started when I was a trainee, but there was no TV in the dormitory. Fans told us about Drama's reputation in a military internet letter. I watched the drama all together after I was discharged.

I heard that you saw it many times with the feeling of seeing off your lover.

The reason I chose "My Sassy Girl" was for my fans. Until then, she had a strong personality and played a role in which she could take on new challenges, but many fans said, "I want you to appear in a romantic comedy." So, before I joined the army, I chose this work because I wanted to make it a work that fans liked, so I was even more attached to it.

I think that "Alice" was also a challenge as an actor, and she had many parts to say. Why did you decide to appear?

I think other actors have had similar feelings, but when I leave the army, I think about various things. What kind of work should he do when he is discharged? Then, the broadcasting environment changed a lot during the two years I was in the army. As you know, online distribution has begun to spread widely. Under such circumstances, I wanted to make a fresh work that was not mediocre if possible. After reading the script of "Alice", I became interested in the theme of time travel and the character of congenital alexithymia, and decided to appear.

What did you pay attention to when creating the character Park Jin Kyum?

The most important thing is that the profession is a detective. Jingyom is a person who has no emotions by nature, so it is difficult for a profession with little change in emotions.

I think it was good, but there were more emotional changes than I expected in the process of becoming a detective and uncovering the truth about the death of my mother. It was difficult to express it at what level. As I play, I must not doubt the character's emotions, so I had to find the line that says, "I think it's okay to express this level." I had a lot of trouble and talked with the director many times. So when something happens to someone you love, such as your mother or friends, you explode your emotions. I decided the details in advance and played it. Actors had to convey their emotions to the viewer by acting, and of course they had to express themselves, so it was the most difficult to find a line that could be communicated well. It also appeared in high school uniforms. After reading the script, I thought that the scene in high school was very important. To be honest, when I first received the script, it was the content up to that scene, so high school student Jingyom appeared all the time after that.

———————————

Title of the interview on the bottom of page 3

Joo Won

A new actor life has begun! Presence in a complicated and difficult role

Finally, Joo Won is back. He joined the army in 2017 without waiting for the broadcast of "My Sassy Girl" (SBS). After his 19-year discharge, attention was focused on his return, but he chose his sci-fi fantasy "Alice" (20 years SBS). Originally, he has a good personality with origami. This time, thanks to the bright Joo Won and the brighter and frank Kim Hee Sun, the atmosphere at the site was outstanding. After a long time, he talked about "Alice" and other musicals and new works in a relaxed tone while remaining calm as before. It was an interview that made me feel like watching the second actor's life, which started with "Alice", and how he will continue to play an active role in the future.

—————————-

p. 4 (continuing from p.3)

Nobody thought that (laughs). Moreover, I never thought I would play in high school. I was old enough to go to the army, and I thought that a child actor would play, but the director saw me at the first meeting and said, "It looks like it would be cool to play a high school student." Hahaha. When I was having trouble answering, I was convinced that "It's an important part about this character, so if the actor changes, it's likely to float there. If possible, I want you to play it yourself" and decided to wear a uniform! Looking at the drama as a whole, I thought again that the scene of Jingyom in high school was very important, and I was glad I decided to play it myself.

I'm happy to be able to play with Hee-sun, who plays the role of parent and child.

-How was it when Kim Hee-sun (Yoon Tay / Park Sun-young 2) was decided as the other party? When I had a meeting with the director, I was talking about "I wish he was Hee-sun," so I was very happy to hear the news of the appearance. At first, I heard that I had to act as a partner and a parent and child, so I couldn't imagine it well. But that's why I wanted Hee-sun to play that role. On the one hand, it's a parent-child role, but on the other hand, it's the same age, and the past before that also appears ...

I don't think there are many actors who can handle such a wide range of ages and characters. I think it was a challenge for Hee-sun, but I believed that it was a good role and that her sister could play well. I was really happy and happy to be able to co-star. I was stuck next to his sister all day, hahaha.

Specifically, what did you like about it?

The shooting scene is always fluttering, and the atmosphere of the place is tingling, so various things really happen. I learned from seeing Hee-sun unnie put together such a scene well. Having an older sister at the scene makes the atmosphere very bright and peaceful. Shooting is hard, but acting together is fun. I'm not that nervous, so I got along with my sister. Of course, her sister is a wonderful actor, but she doesn't create walls when interacting with people, her personality is very bright, and she is also attractive as a human being. I really made you laugh a lot.

-In the early stages, I was impressed by the appearance of Jingyom who shed tears when she saw a tay that looked exactly like her dead mother.

At that time, I was still in the early stages, so I couldn't figure out the direction, such as whether I should cry, how to cry if I cry, whether Jingyom is alexithymia but sheds tears, and so on. So, I took many shots while trying various things. The impression is different between what you imagine with your head and what you actually perform. Sometimes, when you try it, you realize that "this is also good" for the first time. I tried many things and the director chose the one that was the most convincing.

-I think you had to play the scene where CG was added later while imagining the finished product, but were you worried?

We had to understand the finished form that the viewer saw with only text and oral explanations, so we couldn't imagine what the video would look like. Even if I look at a gun or drone on site, I don't know how this will look on the screen ... For example, when you touch a time card, things around you float in the air. Even if it was explained that "this will happen with CG", it was difficult to understand. I was a little skeptical, "Is that really the case?" (Laughs). But when Tay met Tay and Jingyom met Jingyom, I think that kind of scene was more wonderful than I had imagined.

-Did the story itself feel difficult?

To be honest, I read the script many times and listened to the explanation from the director, so I almost understood it. But when I watch a drama with my parents, it always seems difficult. When I saw it, I thought, "It may be difficult for the viewer to understand." In the case of my parents, I explained as much as I could, so I understood it, but I couldn't explain it to the viewers ... I was a little worried about what to do if it was difficult.

-I feel that the explanation was more polite than other dramas of similar genres.

I modified the script many times. When I thought the content might be a little difficult, I explained it as carefully as possible and corrected the script to make it easier for the viewer to understand. In particular, I tried to keep it simple so that it would be easier for older people to understand. Even if young people can understand it immediately, it may be difficult for older people to follow the story. I am happy that we were able to create a drama that is easy for anyone to understand.

(p.5)

One person multiplayer is rare

It was fun as an actor

-I wonder if all the actors and production team are all, such as the difficulty of the story and the heavy use of CG.

Did you have a hard time?

In the scene where Jingyom travels back in time for the first time, I shot everything except me in the same place. Change the props, change the background building little by little with CG, and change the costumes of the extras. I had to change everything, so I had more than twice as much to do as usual. The shooting period was very long, and I think that not only the actors but also the staff all had a really hard time.

-The action scene was very cool. How far did you play by yourself?

Is it 80% or more? The substitutes did the difficult actions and pull cuts, but most of the time I did it myself.

-Did you directly play the scene of walking on the rooftop beam in episode 1?

Okay. I was worried until the day before the shooting, but I believed it was safe, so I thought I could do this.

-The tunnel scene was also cool.

I rented out the entire tunnel and the road around it. Of course, there is also a part that uses CG. It's dangerous to shoot everything realistically. When I actually shoot a scene like jumping from car to car, the action team is extremely nervous because the leading actor is clinging to the hood of the moving car. I tried to be as careful as possible when performing, but I had a strong feeling that I had to take a good shot of the scene first. It was a showcase in the early stages, and the director was also very nervous when shooting, such as shooting using the system mainly used for movies. I shot it hoping that it would be a cool image, but I'm really happy that it was a good image.

I just translated the interview I hope you enjoy

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Calli said:

Oh yay^^ I'm so happy you enjoyed the photos @flutterby06~ knowing this made even just one other Joo Won loving heart happy makes spending time on this worth it^^ I mentioned "time" because it took me a lot of it to scan, transform pic to text, and then check every single line of text (my pic to text transformer had a bit of trouble with the vertical Japanese and with deciphering the numbers within the text) just for the first 3 pages of the interview (there are 6 pages overall)

I decided to just share the transcribed Japanese text with everyone instead of the photos. You can use the text as the basis for a translation~

I'll paste the text into my previous post, and the next 3 pages will follow as soon as possible :)

@Calli... Truly thanks for the effort. If you didn't share it with us who knows when would get to read this.. or read it at all... So big thanks... :fullofhearts:

Also Google translate gives us pretty decent translation. It isn't that hard to get the gist of it. :D

About the interview part you shared so far... I love how it talks a lot about Alice. I remember talking online with someone about lack of detailed interview of Joo Won on Alice and may be it had to do with Joo Won joining Musical right away... So he at least did a interview...and a very detailed one.. I heard there's interview of Directior Bark Soo Chan there too.. so love to read their take on Alice.

I love how Joo Won admits this thing that when he did alice it wasn't difficult to understand but when he watched it he found it a bit difficult. He was a bit worried for fans. So he tried to explain it to his parents as much as possible... 

But the interview also focus that Alice over all wasn't that hard to understand.. (well in my opinion almost everything other than ending was less complicated)

Will share more of my thoughts on this later... Let those words sink in some more. :fun:

8 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

Here is a video of joo won in case you have not seen it yet, you have never seen it before
  Reveal hidden contents

Oh thanks @Andrea Balcazar. I did not see it before. Good to see baby Joo won... That voice... :happy2:

• Like 3
  • Love 1

18 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Oh thanks @Andrea Balcazar. I did not see it before. Good to see baby Joo won... That voice...

in my free time I like to search for dc galler things about joo won or search for baidu chinese platform and it is true what you said joo won fans of a long time translated things very quickly I found several things that I did not see before I also recently found photos of joo won in his 19 0 20 but I would not know how to put them here this is still difficult for me to use soompi forums

• Like 3

3 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

@Calli... Truly thanks for the effort. If you didn't share it with us who knows when would get to read this.. or read it at all... So big thanks... 

Also Google translate gives us pretty decent translation. It isn't that hard to get the gist of it. :D

You're very, very welcome dear @flutterby06:heart: I know you'd do the very same thing if you were in my place~

And I'm loving this interview and all the details Joo Won shared with us so so much, too!! Like for example how the director decided to have Joo Won dance in the karaoke scene in Alice even though it wasn't part of the script after he saw Joo Won teaching Kim Hee Sun (or rather trying to teach :lol:) those dance moves. I loved that so much because it reminded me of how good Joo Won is at picking up choreographies; and the fact that the director saw Joo Won's many and various talents and skills and tried to utilize many of them (like having him sing as well even though that too wasn't originally in the script). It really shows how much the director appreciated Joo Won's many talents and also how well they worked together. 

And then there are many other cute parts, like how Joo Won always has to carry a bag with him when he leaves the house and how heavy it always is even though he hardly ever needs much in it^^ I especially loved the part where he said that even while being on set, his bag will be very heavy because, for one, he always carries the script of the already shot material with him because he might need/want to check the details of a previous scene they did. And then he also talks about his "fussy" personality and how he always needs to plan ahead for things he might do during the day even if he ends up not doing them^^ He is such a lovable, lovable man. So happy he did this interview. 

I only have one page of the interview left to scan but it's a whole page of only printed text so it might take a little while. I'm so excited to read the rest of it so I'll try to do it asap :D

• Like 3
  • Love 1

@Andrea Balcazar, @Calli, @flutterby06 Thanks for the translations/recaps of the interview so far, guys! Obviously, Google Translate or other similar sites won't be perfect, but I'm finding all these behind-the-scenes details from Alice to be really fascinating. :partyblob:

So, for example, the interview seems to imply that JW isn't all that used to working alongside CGI yet, and for some reason, I think that's adorable. And I also loved the bits about him explaining what was happening to his parents (I wound up doing the same when my own parents watched Alice - their first time, my second).

Finally, I can completely get behind JW's tendency to keep the entire script handy whenever possible. Even though I personally felt that Alice's storytelling could be tighter/more consistent overall (one of the criticisms I brought up in my review was how some items would be set up to be really significant, but then conspicuously drop by the wayside), I love that JW wanted his characterization of Park Jin Gyeom to be tight :) 

• Like 3

This interview is really amazing!! I know I'm repeating myself but I'm so glad he did it. Though I wish he would have also appeared in a Korean magazine - everything he says is so important and insightful imo. I really wish his (general) Korean audience could read it too. 

I just finished the last page and it's chock full of Joo Won's wonderful thoughts and personality. 

I love what he says about the responsibility he feels as the lead actor to be a positive influence on everyone on set. Apparently he also was given a nickname on the Alice set that showed that he was part of the production team. Joo Won described himself as a "lubricating oil" because communication between the production staff and the actors got smoother as he was going back and forth between his main job (acting), and the side jobs he took on^^ (camera team and lighting team). Must be such a great experience having someone like Joo Won on set, who's not only a very gifted, dedicated and hardworking actor but also a really warmhearted and selfless human being who cares about every single person on set and wants to contribute to all of them having a great experience while working together on a project. 

He also said something really insightful and wise when asked what scene from Alice he would like to reshoot if he could go back in time, but I have the feeling neither google nor papago do that part justice. I really wish we had a kind native speaker for this part especially who could translate it into English for us. 

He was also asked to recommend the best way for Japanese fans to watch Alice which was so cute and funny, I actually laughed out loud^^ I'm sure you guys will, too. 

Last note: I think I know now why Park Jeong Sik met with Joo Won (and apparently was also on the Carter set) when he travelled to Daejeon a couple of weekends ago. When asked about Carter, Joo Won said that he goes to action school and trains almost every day. And I remember reading a DC Gallery post from 2013 quoting an article about the city of Daejeon having almost finished construction on "action video center <Aerial View> at the Expo Science Park" which would include "an action school (500 m²), an underwater filming site (280 m²), a laboratory (430 m²), and a filming support room (185 m²)." Maybe Joo Won is attending action school there? 

Either way, what he said about Carter really brought it home even more for me how incredibly hard he's been working and also why he's been training so so hard: "The level of action is probably about 100 times that of "Alice"? It's quite difficult (laughs)." I can't even imagine what that means when someone like Joo Won says the level of action in Carter is about 100 times that of Alice. 100 times "fighting Joo Won!!" then. :cheers:

some more news: Carter will be filming again in Cheongju next week.

article link: http://www.jbnews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1344086

google translation: 

"The Cheongju Film Commission (hereinafter referred to as the Cheongju Film Commission) of the Cheongju Cultural Industry Promotion Foundation will control the road in some sections of Yeonje-ri, Osong-eup, from the 28th to the 30th and July 2nd.

With this shooting, the area around 887 Yeonje-ri, Osong-eup, Heungdeok-gu (around Daewoong Pharmaceutical) is completely controlled from 10 am to 5 pm.

The Netflix movie 'Carter' is an action blockbuster that depicts the breathtaking chase of an agent 'Carter' who has lost all his memories and is put into a mysterious operation. Director Jung Byung-gil, who directed 'I Am a Murderer' and 'The Villain', grabs a megaphone, and actor Joo Won, who has appeared in many works such as 'Firefighter' and 'My Sassy Girl', plays agent 'Carter'.

A production official said, "During the last filming, we were able to proceed smoothly with a lot of cooperation." "Our actors were also moved by the kindness of the citizens of Cheongju."" 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1
  • Insightful 1

5 hours ago, Calli said:

Last note: I think I know now why Park Jeong Sik met with Joo Won (and apparently was also on the Carter set) when he travelled to Daejeon a couple of weekends ago. When asked about Carter, Joo Won said that he goes to action school and trains almost every day. And I remember reading a DC Gallery post from 2013 quoting an article about the city of Daejeon having almost finished construction on "action video center <Aerial View> at the Expo Science Park" which would include "an action school (500 m²), an underwater filming site (280 m²), a laboratory (430 m²), and a filming support room (185 m²)." Maybe Joo Won is attending action school there? 

now I see why action scenes come out so naturally

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Calli said:

Apparently he also was given a nickname on the Alice set that showed that he was part of the production team. Joo Won described himself as a "lubricating oil" because communication between the production staff and the actors got smoother as he was going back and forth between his main job (acting), and the side jobs he took on^^ (camera team and lighting team). Must be such a great experience having someone like Joo Won on set, who's not only a very gifted, dedicated and hardworking actor but also a really warmhearted and selfless human being who cares about every single person on set and wants to contribute to all of them having a great experience while working together on a project. 

Aww .. this is so precious.. love how people value him. It's not that easy having pressure on himself and also thinking about others and constantly trying to look out for every one.

Remember we saw many BTS pics and few videos where Joo Won was behind camera..B)

5 hours ago, Calli said:

Either way, what he said about Carter really brought it home even more for me how incredibly hard he's been working and also why he's been training so so hard: "The level of action is probably about 100 times that of "Alice"? It's quite difficult (laughs)." I can't even imagine what that means when someone like Joo Won says the level of action in Carter is about 100 times that of Alice. 100 times "fighting Joo Won!!" then. 

That's so WOW.. like 100 times more than Alice!! When someone confident like Joo Won about action says that must be really on another level.

Good to know about action school info too.. hmm.. that's why Park Jeong Sik nim is accompanying Joo Won.. I wonder if we'd ever see behind the scene pictures of Joo Won's training in action school.. that would be such a cool thing to watch! :glasses:

I'd also like to say: Joowon,  Fighting x100.

:approves:

@Calli can't wait to read the whole interview. I will start reading the Japanese translation stuffs now. So excited about finally having the time to properly start it. :winkx:

5 hours ago, Calli said:

some more news: Carter will be filming again in Cheongju next week.

article link: http://www.jbnews.com/news/articleView.html?idxno=1344086

google translation: 

"The Cheongju Film Commission (hereinafter referred to as the Cheongju Film Commission) of the Cheongju Cultural Industry Promotion Foundation will control the road in some sections of Yeonje-ri, Osong-eup, from the 28th to the 30th and July 2nd.

Lucky Cheongju people.. ! 4 days shooting in coming days.

Just today someone caught them filming in Cheongju too.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CQf_lCKphxh/?utm_medium=copy_link

So glad to see all those news on Carter filming today. It feels nice just knowing what's going on with filming even tho it's just a update on shooting date and place.

Also now that we have a glimpse on how hard Joo Won prepared for and still preparing himself for Carter. Hope everything goes smoothly and safely. Got so excited for Carter after learning from these Japanese Magazine interview stories shared. 

@Calli I will share my details thought after reading it. :)

• Like 4
  • Love 1

On 6/19/2021 at 4:05 PM, agenth said:

POLL: Father's Day with Joo Won

In honour of Father's Day and due to @kittyna's idea, here is a quick poll for everyone to reminisce about Joo Won's dramas and the portryal of fathers and father figures in them.  

Thanks for participating in my first poll :D 

Please let us know, if we can help with another event, if you have ideas/wishes. Until then!

@kittyna @Calli @flutterby06 @kireeti2 @Andrea Balcazar @tokkimoon  @JooWon89@valinor500 @partyon

On 6/20/2021 at 5:57 AM, kireeti2 said:

Lol!! Looks like we have tie breaker between Director Choi and Detective Go in poll :smiley:. Come to think of it, these two characters have lot similarities, like both of these have taken an outcast kid under their wing.

So, no wonder we have a tie

In the end Detective Go won :D

• Like 1
  • Blob 5

Hey everyone :waves:

I hope you're all having a lovely Friday! 

I've been reading Joo Won's Mediaboy interview almost every free minute I had since yesterday^^ The insights he offers (into Alice, Carter and himself) are really wonderful. 

I saved the most "readable" translation based on a mix of google, papago and DeepL in my Joo Won files and thought I'd share it in case it might be helpful for anyone here. 

I really wish so badly @manyearsagowas still around and would translate it for us. But hopefully we still got the gist~~

Spoiler

Joo Won

The beginning of a new life as an actor! His presence in complex and difficult roles

Finally, Joo Won is back. He joined the army in 2017 without waiting for the broadcast of "My Sassy Girl" (SBS). After his discharge in 2019, attention was focused on his comeback project, but he chose the sci-fi fantasy drama "Alice" (2020, SBS). He has always had a good personality. This time, thanks to Joo Won and Kim Hee Sun, who are more cheerful and honest, the atmosphere at the site was outstanding. When I met him after a long time, he talked about musicals and new works, including "Alice" in a relaxed tone, just like before. It was an interview that made me feel like watching over him in the second chapter of this actor's life, which started with "Alice", and how he will keep on playing an active role in the future.

Q: It's been a while since our last interview for "My Sassy Girl" (published in issue 84 of this magazine). At that time, you enlisted before the broadcast started, but did you watch the drama while in the army?

A: I couldn't watch it at that time. The broadcast started when I was a trainee, but there was no TV in the dormitory. Fans told me about the drama's reputation in military internet letters. I watched the drama all together after I was discharged.

Q: I heard that you watched it many times with the feeling of seeing off a loved one.

A: The reason I chose to do "My Sassy Girl" was because of my fans. Until then, I had mainly played roles with strong personalities and roles that challenged me in new ways, but many fans said, "I want you to appear in a romantic comedy." So, before I joined the army, I chose this work because I wanted to make it a work that fans liked, so I was even more attached to it.

Q: I think that "Alice" is also a work that could be said to be a challenge for an actor. Why did you decide to appear?

A: I’m sure other actors have had similar feelings, but I thought about various things as I was about to be discharged. What kind of work should I do when I'm discharged from the army? And the broadcasting environment has changed a lot in the two years I was in the army. As you know, online distribution has begun to spread widely. Under such circumstances, I wanted to make a fresh work that was not mediocre if possible. When I read the script for "Alice" I was intrigued by the theme of time travel and the character's congenital alexithymia, so I decided to appear in it.

Q: What did you pay attention to when you created the character of Park Jin-gyeom?

The most important thing is that he’s a detective by profession. Jin-gyeom was born with no emotions, so I don't think it would have been difficult if he had a job with few emotional changes, but he became a detective. There were more emotional changes than I expected in the process of uncovering the truth about his mother's death. It was difficult to find the right level of expression for this. As I act, it is important that I don’t doubt the character's emotions, so I had to find the line that says, "I think it's okay to express it at this level.“ I had a lot of worries and talked to the director many times. So when something happens related to people he loves, like his mother or  his friends, he would explode with emotion. I decided these details in advance and acted them out. Actors have to convey their emotions to the audience through acting, and in order to do that, they naturally have to express themselves, so the most difficult part was finding a line that I could convey well.

Q: You also appeared in high school uniform.

A: When I read the script, I thought that the scene in high school was very important. To be honest, when I first received the script, the content was up to that scene, so no one expected that high school student Jin-gyeom would appear after that (laughs). Moreover, I never thought I would be the one to play Jin-gyeom in high school. I was old enough to have served in the military, and I thought that a child actor would act (in those scenes), but the director saw me at the first meeting and said, „I think you would look cool playing a high school student." Hahaha. When I was at a loss for an answer, he said, "It's an important part of the character, and if the actor changes, it's going to stand out. If possible, I'd like you to play the part yourself," and so I decided to wear the uniform!  After that, when I watched the drama as a whole, I thought that Jin-gyeom's scenes in high school were very important, and I was glad that I decided to perform them myself.

Q: How did you feel when it was decided that Kim Hee Sun (Yoon Tae-yi / Park Sun-young) would act opposite you?

A: When I had a meeting with the director, I said, "I wish it would be Hee Sun noona," so I was very happy to hear the news about her appearance. At first, when I heard that we had to act as parent and child with the other actor, I couldn't imagine it well. But that's why I wanted Hee Sun noona to play the role. On the one hand, we play the role of parent and child, but on the other hand, we’re supposed to be the same age, and the past before that also appears ...

I don't think there are many actors who can handle such a wide range of ages and characters. I think it was a challenge for Hee Sun noona, but I believed that it was a good role and that noona could play it well. I was really delighted and happy to be able to co-star with her. I stuck next to noona all day, hahaha.

Q: What exactly did you like about it (co-starring with her)?

A: The filming site is always bustling and the atmosphere of the scene is tense, so many things are happening at once. I learned a lot from watching Hee Sun noona's good organization of the scene. Noona’s presence at the scene made the atmosphere very bright and harmonious. Shooting is hard, but acting together is fun. I'm not the nervous type either, so I got along with noona well. Of course, she is a great actress, but she doesn't create walls when she interacts with people, she has a very bright personality, and is full of charm as a human being. She really made me laugh a lot.

Q: In the early stages, I was impressed by the appearance of Jin-gyeom who shed tears when he saw Tae-yi, who looked just like his dead mother.

A: It was still early on, so I wasn’t sure about the direction yet, such as whether to cry, how to cry, and whether Jin Gyeom shed tears even though he had alexithymia, and so on. So, I did many takes while trying various things. The impression between what you imagine in your head and what you actually perform can be very different. Sometimes, it's not until you try something that you realize “this is good, too“.  I tried many things and the director chose the one that was the most convincing.

Q: I think you had to play scenes where you had to imagine the finished product since CG was added later, did you have any concerns about that?

A: We couldn't imagine what the video would look like because we had to understand the finished form that the viewer would see with only text and verbal explanations. Even if you look at a gun or drone on site, you don't know how it will look on screen ... For example, when you touch a time card, things around you start floating in the air. Even if it was explained that "this will happen through CG", it was difficult to understand. I was a little skeptical, "Is that really going to happen?“ (Laughs). But when Tae-yi met Tae-yi and Jin-gyeom met Jin-gyeom, I think those scenes came out more wonderful than I had imagined.

Q: Didn’t you find the story difficult?

A: To be honest, I read the script many times and listened to the director's explanation, so I understood most of course. But when I watch dramas with my parents, they always seem difficult. When I saw it, I thought, "It might be difficult for viewers to understand.“ In the case of my parents, I explained it as much as I could, so they understood it as they watched it, but I couldn't explain it to the audience. I was a little worried about what to do if it was difficult.

Q: I think the explanation was more polite than other dramas of similar genre.

A: We revised the script many times. When we thought the content might be a little difficult, we explained it as carefully as possible and corrected the script to make it easier for viewers to understand. In particular, we tried to simplify it so that it would be easier for older people to understand. Even if young people can understand it immediately, it may be difficult for older people to follow the story. I am happy that we were able to create a drama that is easy for anyone to understand.

Q: Didn’t all the actors and the production team have a very hard time due to the difficulty of the story and the heavy use of CG?

A: In the scene where Jin-gyeom travels back in time for the first time, we changed everything except me being in the same place. We changed the props, the background building little by little with CG, and the costumes of the extras. We had to change everything, so we had more than twice the usual work. The shooting period was very long, and I think that not only the actors but also all the staff members had a really hard time.

Q: The action scenes were really cool. How much of it did you do yourself?

A: More than 80%? My stunt double(s) did the more difficult action scenes and pull cuts, but I did most of it myself.

Q: Did you also act out the scene where you walked on the beam on the roof in the first episode?

A: Yes, I did. I was worried about it until the day before the shooting, but I believed that it was safe, so I thought I could do it.

Q: The tunnel scene was also very cool.

A: We rented out the entire tunnel and the surrounding road to shoot it. Of course we used CG in some parts, because it would be dangerous to film everything realistically. When filming scenes like jumping from one car to another, the action team is very nervous because the lead actor is clinging to the hood of a moving car. I tried to be as careful as possible in my performance, but I really felt that I had to shoot the scene well first. It was a highlight at the beginning, and the director was very nervous about filming it, using a system that is mainly used for movies. I had high hopes that the finished scene would turn out to be cool, and I'm glad that it did.

Q: How do you feel about the action scenes in the library?

A: It was really hard. We shot all night for about 3 or 4 days. The place we shot at was actually a cafe, so it had to open during the day and we could only shoot at night. We shot throughout the night in that large space, and it took a lot of time because there was a lot of action and a lot of shots to take.

Q: Unlike Jin-gyeom, who has alexithymia and is unsociable, Joo-won is known for his gentle personality.

A: I don't think he's unsociable (laughs). He uses a lot of emoticons when he texts. I also do that, but usually, no matter how short the text is, emotion gets into your words. But for Jin Gyeom, I had a lot of trouble deciding whether or not I should include that part. As a result, I came to the conclusion that I would try to express it in words to some extent even if there were no facial expressions. Also, I made some changes depending on who I was with. When I was with Do-yeon (played by Lee Da-in) compared to when I was with Tae-yi, I tried to make a slight difference.

Q: At first, I thought that only Kim Hee Sun would play two roles, but more people than expected, including Joo Won, played two roles.

A: Hee Sun noona and I played multiple roles. If you look at me alone, there is high school student Jin-gyeom, current Jin-gyeom, bad Jin-gyeom, old man Jin-gyeom, and so on. It's not often that you get to play so many roles in one work, so it was very interesting for me as an actor. While playing various characters, we also told each other, "this is fun.“

Q: I was surprised at the appearance of the old man!

A: I knew from the beginning that I was going to play an old man. So we prepared all the masks for the special make-up before the shooting, but it took 3 hours just to put them on. The makeup alone was a challenge. About the old man's voice, the director initially said, "Let's make it with a machine," but I said, "I'll make it myself." Fortunately, the make-up and the voice went well together. If I hadn't been told at the beginning and had been told halfway through that I would be playing an old man, I think I wouldn't have been able to study the voice. I knew what I would look like as an old man by looking at the mask, so I was able to create a voice to match it. In fact, you can hear my voice as the old man in the first trailer. At the time no one knew that I would play an old man, so I was amused by myself saying, "Oh, there is my voice!" It's actually a very important key to the story, but no one in the audience knows about it. Hahaha.

Q: What scenes did you enjoy filming and what scenes did you add ad lib to?

A: There’s a scene where Jin-gyeom dances while singing with Tae-yi, Do-yeon, and Dong-ho (played by Lee Jae-yun), but it wasn't originally set up for Jin-gyeom to dance. When I was teaching Hee Sun noona how to dance, the director saw it and said, "Why don't you dance a little too? So I did, and it didn't get cut in the editing process.

The scene at the amusement park was fun to shoot. I don't find roller coasters too scary, so I like all kinds of attractions. But right now, you can't go to amusement parks because of the new coronavirus. But thanks to the filming, I was able to go to an amusement park. Of course, there were many restrictions, but fortunately there were some scenes where we got to ride the attractions, so we had a lot of fun filming. The weather was also really nice.

He's got everything in his bag.

His nickname is "Doraemon.

Q: In every episode, a quote appears at the beginning. Are there any words of wisdom that made an impression on you, or are there any words that you usually keep in your mind?

A: It’s not a special phrase, but I often say, "You have to be happy. I think this is true for everyone, but we all live through good times and hard times in various situations. We can't be happy all the time, and sometimes we get lumps and wounds inside of us. But even while in similar situations, some people are able to overcome them with a cheerful heart, while others are not. I have been thinking a lot lately that it would be good to accept things as they are and enjoy life as it is. Wouldn’t that be happiness? I'm the type of person who thinks too much and too seriously. I used to take even the most trivial things very seriously, but then I suddenly wondered why I was thinking so seriously. There wasn't anything in particular that triggered it, but.... Or maybe there was, but I just don't remember it. Anyway, my parents and I have been talking about it a lot lately.

Q: Weren’t you influenced by Kim Hee Sun, who acted opposite you?

A: I think there is also that. I think that's what I felt while watching Hee Sun noona next to me. I'm sure she gets stressed and has her own worries, but she never showed it on set. Noona is the type of person, no matter what happens outside, she would never bring it to the scene. She's also not the type to dwell on negative emotions for too long. I think she has a mindset that things will work out. It's easy to put into words, but it's not easy to do. Especially since I’m not that kind of person, I find it more difficult.

Q: What kind of person is Joo Won?

A: For example, if I think, "I'm going to do this tonight," even if I might not do it, I'm the type of person who prepares everything I need in advance just in case. It's a troublesome personality, isn't it? (laughs). "I might exercise tonight, so I better get my jersey ready.“ Once I start thinking like that, I think about it all day long. If I leave the house without my jersey, I’ll just think, "I should come home later", but I can't do that easily.

Q: It seems you will have a lot of luggage when you go out.

A: I I always carry a bag with me. There are many men who go out without a bag, but for me, it is absolutely necessary. To be honest, I don't really use many of the things I have in my bag. Even when I'm shooting, my bag is always heavy. I always carry around the script(s) that I have finished shooting. You don't know when you might want to look back at it again. Even if you've already shot a scene, you might suddenly need to check it. "Which scene was it? I'd have to check the script.

Q: I’m curious about the contents of your bag. Besides your script, what else is in it?

A: A portable battery for my phone, snacks.... My friends call me "Doraemon". Especially when I travel, I have everything in my bag. One time we went on a trip with four friends, and when I went to pick (one of) them up, he was packing. We had to leave, but I said, "Wait a minute," and packed up properly and said, "Done!". What on earth did I put in ... (laughs). When I looked at it later, it didn't contain anything necessary. Hahaha.

I also bring shampoo that I always use. If a friend spills something on their clothes, I can take the detergent out of the bag and give it to them. So I always have a lot of luggage.

Q: I heard that your nickname on set was "the production team".

A: I’ve been working as an actor for a long time, so I share my experiences to make the scene run more effectively. On set, the production staff is around the director and the actors are behind the camera. In such a situation, there are surprisingly many times when communication between "here" and "there" does not go smoothly. I gradually realized, "Why don't we talk about this?“ I used to focus only on my own acting, but at some point I started to broaden my perspective. Also, it's interesting to hold/set up the camera at the shooting site. In the meantime, I started to participate in various things other than acting, going to the camera team and the lighting team. As I went back and forth like that, I felt like I became a lubricant. We were able to communicate properly, and the atmosphere on set improved. That wasn't my purpose from the beginning, but as I did it, I felt like everyone would be able to work harder, and from a certain point I started taking the initiative to go back and forth between various teams.

Q: It seems that everyone was happy at the shooting site.

A: I think the leading actor should play such a role. Regardless of whether the ratings are good or bad, we all have to work hard, so how we spend that time is important. I think the lead actors have a great influence on both improving the atmosphere and making it worse. In any case, I/we have to make an effort so that everyone can work in a good mood.

Morning person with a regular life

I never miss a half-body bath.

Q: If you could travel back in time to the set of "Alice," are there any scenes that you would like to re-shoot?

A: I don't think I could do it any better than I did then. I did my best in that moment. There has never been a suitable moment. Regardless of the outcome, it was the best I could do at the time, and if I could do it again, even if I could do it better, I'd like to leave it feeling a little unsatisfactory. The performances and dramas I did when I was 20 years old, the way I looked when I made my debut. Don't you think it's best to leave those things as they were at that time? Whether you were good or bad at acting, I don't think that's important.

Q: What is the best way to watch the drama for Japanese fans who are looking forward to it?

A: Don’t try to analyze it, just watch it. If you try to analyze it, it gets complicated (laughs). I simply think this way: In every world, there is a person with the same face as mine, and I am living as one of them. If there are two people on screen who look the same, don't think, "Why are there two?“ but instead, "There are two people, so one of them must be from a different world.“ I think it will be easier to understand if you simply look at it as it is.

Q: What is the first thing you want to do when the coronavirus pandemic settles down?

A: I’m sure many people are thinking the same thing, but the first thing I want to do is travel. I would like to go to Japan and the United States. When I think of Japan, I often think of fan meetings. (Fans) listening to my songs and listening to my stories. The love and affection I received from my Japanese fans and the memories we made together are wonderful. It's been a while since I've seen you, so I'll definitely come see you someday. First of all, please take care of your health and stay healthy so that we can have an even more enjoyable time together.

Q: Have you made any changes in your lifestyle or developed any new hobbies since your discharge?

A: I already used to be a morning person who lives a regular life, but now I wake up even earlier than before. I'm not the type of person who lies around in bed once I wake up. Also, since my discharge, I have been taking a half-body bath almost every day. I had a hard time with insomnia for a while, but I heard that taking a half-body bath is good when you can't sleep, so I tried it once, and that day I slept so well I felt like I had passed out. Since then, I've been doing it without fail. Thanks to the half-body bath, I feel my complexion has improved.

Q: You appeared in a musical right after the drama ended. What do musicals mean to Joo Won?

A: Hmmm… a happy place? Maybe it's because all the shows I've been in so far have been good, but when I go to the theater, I feel happy. I've never once felt uncomfortable, and when I meet my friends, I talk to them excitedly and we go to each other's dressing rooms to greet each other. That's how we start the performance in a good mood. Since all the performances are live, there are naturally going to be mistakes, but it can't be helped. You can't do it all over again, so you have to reveal everything about yourself. You can see all my good and bad sides, so sometimes I feel small, and sometimes I feel overwhelmed. I think musicals are such a profound space.

Q: I heard that your next work is the Netflix original action movie "Carter" (distribution date TBD).

A: I received and read the scenario at the end of 2020, but I didn't know it was a Netflix film at the time. The scenario was certainly interesting, but I kept wondering, "How can they film this?" and "Can I do this?“. I was so curious that I decided to act in it. I'm currently attending an action school and training almost every day. I'm also preparing by watching action movies that I can refer to. The level of action is probably 100 times higher than that of "Alice". It's quite challenging (laughs).

"Carter"

A suspense action in which the main character, Carter, who has lost his memory, is put into a mysterious operation and struggles without knowing the reason. Joo Won plays not only intense action but also the complicated emotions of the hero who is who is at the mercy of the situation in which he is placed. Directed by Jeong Byeong-gil of the popular action movie „The Villainess" (2017).

• Awesome 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Blob 3