Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

10 minutes ago, Calli said:

Joo Won can pull off longer hairstyles really really well. It's probably my bias talking but I haven't yet seen him in a hairstyle he wasn't able to pull off... Maybe because he has such a small and lovely face? Or because he has a face that's really beautiful to me no matter what?^^ 

I really love him in hats, too. While so many fans on DC Gallery used to complain because he wore hats so often during 1N2D I loved him in all of them^^ 

You are not the only one, Joo Won looks great, anything is very handsome, I think people were complaining, it's because you couldn't see his hair. I loved him to take off his hat, since I love his hair. perfect

@Callineedless to say in my sassy girl he is the only actor that I have seen that looks great on hanbok and I see many historical dramas joo won is the most handsome with that
  • Like 4

A part of my recent Joo Won research includes old news published in media. But I do it randomly like some times I'd search about Good Doctor/ Gaksital/Yong Pal related news sometimes award function related news. But I did not try reading many news from his debut time before. Like I read some news from that time when they came up at my random search me but I did not particularly search for those. So I tried that topic this time. Came upon some interesting news.. Some of which I heard in interviews before but it's good to see them covered in entertainment news. 

So I compiled some old news around 2010-2011.. News on Joo Won, Baker King Kim Takgu... How everyone had mostly praise for Joo Won for nailing his first tv drama character and portraying it as a relatable character for whom one will feel sorry and also hope he finds his path soon by forgetting his grudges.

News 1,2,5 are copied in full and for the rest I only copied the important bits here along with original link so you can check out the full news. 

Writer Kang Eun-kyung "Joo-won was reckless from the beginning"

Edited 2010.09.16. 6:22 pm
AKR20100916088800005_01_i.jpg?type=w430

Joo-won "I will never forget 'Baking King Kim Tak-goo' for the rest of my life"

Writer Kang Eun-kyung of 'Baking King Kim Tak-goo' said, "He was very confident from the beginning and was outspoken."
Writer Kang said in a recent interview, "When I was casting, I decided to cast the role of Ma-jun Gu relatively early, but now that I think about it, I think it was the role that Joo-won would play.

"When we first met, I asked, 'Do you want to do this? Do you want to be?' Then, without any hesitation, the answer came back, 'I want to do it.' But Joo Won was proud of himself."

Writer Kang said, "Since Kim Tak-goo also cast a newcomer, Yoon Shi-yoon, both KBS and the production team were in a position to cast a stable actor as much as Koo Ma-jun. But I wanted to cast Joo-won and I thought he would do well."

Thanks to Joo Won, who seized the golden opportunity given by writer Kang, he got a cool hit in his drama debut.

On the 15th, Joo Won left a comment on the homepage of 'Baking King Kim Tak-goo', saying, "I will never forget 'Baking King Kim Tak-goo' for the rest of my life."

He said, "It feels like it was just yesterday that we filmed the first scene of packing luggage at the hotel around June, and the filming has already ended.

"Until the first filming, I was so nervous that I couldn't sleep, I injured my head while filming, and worried many people, and when there was a filming for the bakery, we all laughed together saying, 'If you go in today, you won't be able to come out'..."

He said, "The viewers, staff, and actors who cheered me on so that I could be happy and happy while filming for the first time in a drama.... I always keep my gratitude in my heart." "I was happy and enjoyed every day while working together. .

He continued, "More than anything else, I want to say thank you to the viewers who showed great interest and love from the beginning." "I will continue to grow and become an actor who smells like human."

News Link- https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/001/0004660066

'Kim Tak-goo' Joo-won, what is the controversy about acting?

Input 2010.08.05. 8:02 am

201008050757776737_1.jpg?type=w430view original

Joo Won, who plays the role of Majun Gu in the KBS 2TV drama 'Baking King Kim Tak Goo' (hereinafter referred to as Kim Tak Goo), is showing off his acting skills that are not like a rookie.

Joo Won first tried acting in a drama through 'Kim Tak Goo'. He made his debut in 2006 with the musical 'Alta Boys' and has already proven his skills in the musical world through 'Grease' and 'Spring Awakening', but this is his first drama debut.

In the play, he is a villain, not a villain, who is in a love triangle with Kim Tak-goo (played by Yoon Si-yoon). A newcomer with a heavy shoulder, taking the lead role in his first debut film, is digesting a complex and subtle character. It's been a long time since adult actors such as Joo Won, Yoon Si-yoon, Lee Young-ah, and Yu-jin  touched down after the initial child roles were over. The play, which was planned with a total of 30 episodes, has already run about two-thirds of the way. But now, there have been reports of controversy over Joo Won's acting ability. Was there any real controversy?

Viewers and netizens were surprised by Joo Won's appearance at first. It is a mysterious appearance with the aura of T.O.P (Big Bang) strangely intertwined with Kang Dong-won's eyes wet with rain. Not only was he handsome, but he had a subtle image. It is a good material as an actor. After that, I was amazed by his acting skills. It's because he's playing a character that's never been easier than expected. Even if the female protagonists such as Lee Young- or Eugene have several years of acting experience, Si-yoon Yoon and Joo-won are their first challenge in the drama. However, both of them are showing acting skills that can wash away public concerns.

There are no elements that may interfere with the immersion in the play or be pointed out. Of course, compared to the middle-aged actors Jeon Kwang-ryeol, Jeon In-hwa, Jeong Seong-mo, and Jeon Mi-seon, who hold the center of gravity of 'Kim Tak-goo', they are not enough, but they show sufficient development potential.

'Are you satisfied with your first drink?'. There is still a long way to go, a rookie like Gu Man-ri. In this day and age, where newcomers and idol group members who do not know how to act without knowing how to act, and idol group members are taking a hit, the controversy over his acting ability is unreasonable for Joo Won, who has already been recognized for his skills after years of experience on stage.

In the comments on the actual acting controversy article, 'This is enough of a rookie and good job', 'Koo Ma-jun's heartbreaking character touches my heart', 'What kind of acting controversy? It was well-received...' and other comments were made.

Link: https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/109/0002127210

'Kim Tak-goo' Joo-won, well-received for 'Crazy Demon King' acting

Input 2010.08.05. 11:49 am

Spoiler

a8f77129_1.jpg?type=w430

In the episode of 'Baking King Kim Tak-goo' broadcast on the 3rd, Joo-won delicately expressed his inferiority to Kim Tak-goo (Yoon Si-yoon) and his dissatisfaction with his mother Seo In-suk (Jeon In-hwa), and received cheers from viewers. On that day, when it was revealed to Takgu that his identity was Ku Ma-jun, not Seo Tae-jo, whom he had been using as a pseudonym, Ma-jun said coldly, "I deceived you because I didn't like you (Kim Tak-goo). He said and hid his truth. However, when Kim Tak-goo gave him a taste of the bread he made for the first time and said, "Until the competition, I will be friends with Seo Tae-jo, who has been in the same room for two years. Let's get along." He said, "You can be friends with Seo Tae-jo, but you can't be Gu Ma-jun. Is it?" he said, expressing his uneasy feelings.

Viewers who watched the broadcast on this day, through the drama bulletin board, praised Joo Won, saying, "I was impressed with Ma Jun's acting as a rude demon king." erected In addition, the number of viewers who favor Ma Jun also increased, saying, "If Takgoo reunites with his father Gu Il-joong (Kwang-ryeol Jeon), will Ma Jun be abandoned? 'Baking King Kim Tak-goo', aired on this day, was ranked No.

Link: https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/076/0002041690

'Saebyeol' Joo Won "I didn't covet Kim Tak Goo"

(Saebyeol literal translation is 'morning star')

Spoiler

2010091812144166216_1.jpg?type=w430

Blue Chip Joo Won, the new homeroom scene, showed his passionate affection for the character of 'Majun Gu' in KBS 2TV's 'Baking King Kim Tak Goo', which he played.

Joo Won revealed his true intentions in an interview with Money Today Star News recently conducted. In this drama, he played the ill-fated main character 'Koo Ma-jun', who is the second person born and the fateful rival of 'Kim Tak-goo' (Yoon Si-yoon).

As this drama gained great popularity, interest in the two young actors naturally increased. Comparison with Yoon Shi-yoon was also inevitable.

Joo Won said, "From the beginning, my heart ached more for Koo Ma-jun rather than Kim Tak-goo."

He persuaded, "Kim Tak-goo, like Koo Ma-jun, is born with pain, but he is loved by everyone. But Koo Ma-jun is different from Takgu in that regard. I wanted to love that Ma-jun (who wasn't loved by others)."

He added "I never wanted to play the role of Kim Tak-goo. Si-yoon hyung suits Takgoo."

News Link: https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/108/0002048621

5. (Joo Won bid a final farewell to Baker King Kim Takgu with photos he took of the staffs and expressing his gratitude to  all. It said he has published a message with photos in drama homepage, I don't know which home exactly they're talking about, may be on KBS website's Kim Takgu Drama Page)

'Kim Tak-goo' ending special 'Sat' Joo-won's filming site Selfie②

[The scene taken by Joo Won]

[Money Today Star News reporter Kim Soo-jin]

Spoiler

2010091309092031227_2.jpg?type=w430

Director Lee Jung-seop PD of KBS 2TV's 'Baking King Kim Tak-goo' filmed by Joo Won himself. Joo Won introduced him as an object of respect. <Photo courtesy of Sim Entertainment>

'Baking King Kim Tak-gu' has a special meaning to Joo Won. Before the end of the film, he released a 'Selfie' from the filming site on Money Today Star News. It is a vivid scene of the filming site that Joo Won took and the scene of Joo Won himself.KBS 2TV's Wednesday-Thursday drama 'Baker King Kim Tak-goo' (played by Kang Eun-kyung, directed by Lee Jeong-seop, Lee Eun-jin) is called a national drama with an audience rating of close to 50%. The greatest beneficiary of this drama, no, the best rising star this drama has discovered is Joo Won (23). Joo Won is a rookie who first appeared on a CRT through 'Baking King Kim Tak Goo'. He is a top star prospect who has been recognized for his star and acting skills through the musical stage before appearing in this drama.

It is a picture of the staff sweating profusely outside the screen to deliver joy to the viewers of the filming set and the main room, which Joo Won saw through his own eyes. The first picture he released was director Lee Jung-seop PD. Joo Won introduced, "You are so grateful that I cannot express in words."

Spoiler

2010091309092031227_1.jpg?type=w430

<Photo courtesy of Sim Entertainment>

These are the people who have not left Joo Won's side since the baking class that started in May to become 'Majun Gu'. Daemyung Cho, manager in charge of Shim Entertainment, and Kimin Kim, the team leader. The two went back and forth between Pyeongtaek, Gyeonggi Province and Cheongju, North Chungcheong Province, and stayed by Joo Won's side while filming for the drama was in progress. Joo Won said, "I am reassured and happy to have people like my family."

Spoiler

2010091309092031227_3.jpg?type=w430

He is the hidden shining protagonist of 'King of Baking, Kim Tak-goo'. You can't see it on the screen, but thanks to their hard work, you can meet the viewers of the small screen. Joo Won also took pictures of them on his camera. With the words "thank you".

Spoiler

2010091309092031227_4.jpg?type=w430

2010091309092031227_5.jpg?type=w430

This is Gu Ma-jun and Joo-won's house. Not yet filmed. There is tension in the stillness. Soon, when filming starts here, everyone is seriously immersed in the drama.

Spoiler

2010091309092031227_6.jpg?type=w430

This is the scenery near the filming site in Pyeongtaek. This view at sunset will also be an unforgettable memory.

Spoiler

2010091309092031227_7.jpg?type=w430

Joo Won said with a smile, "Although this drama is now over, I hope that it will continue to live in my heart and in the hearts of viewers with a deep afterglow. "An airplane flying in the sky seen on the way to Cheongju. It is soaring vigorously through the blue sky like a soaring Juwon.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

33 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

So I compiled some old news around 2010-2011.. News on Joo Won, Baker King Kim Takgu... How everyone has mostly praise for Joo Won for nailing his first tv drama character and portraying it as a relatable character for whom one will feel sorry and also hope he finds his path soon by forgetting his grudges.

I don't know, but I've seen most of the interviews that happen, but thanks anyway, it's good for people who haven't seen these interviews yet. Baker King's writer had a good eye for choosing

36 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

So I compiled some old news around 2010-2011.. News on Joo Won, Baker King Kim Takgu... How everyone has mostly praise for Joo Won for nailing his first tv drama character and portraying it as a relatable character for whom one will feel sorry and also hope he finds his path soon by forgetting his grudges.

thanks to her joo won is now an actor I think joo won is one of the actors who found it easier to have a leading role for example in his first drama he played a supporting role at the beginning fye known in korea as being almost equal to top and kang dong won I honestly see very little resemblance to them but in a movie that I saw of kang dong won if he looked like kang dong won to me

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Calli said:

I think they actually tried to do that as the episodes progressed; that's why the final episodes when they went to Salzburg (but that were actually filmed first), felt rather off. Her calling him "older brother" all of a sudden again felt like she had a relapse just as they had established a different footing. But they obviously couldn't reshoot all of that footage... thankfully with so many dramas being pre-produced these days things like these don't seem to be much of an issue anymore. Even when they do shoot out of order. 

Yeah, I remember that bit - and I also remember trying to rationalize it, story-wise (obviously, production-wise, it was for the reasons you described), and I came up with two main hypotheses:

1. Seol Nae Il was just so high about being able to go abroad at all (and alone with Cha Yoo Jin at that) that she kind of just lost it and the old, giddier side of her floated back up to the surface - you know, the same way that even full-grown mature adults might lose it the first time they step into Disneyland ;) 
  2. She calls Yoo Jin "Orabang" again because, if they are going to start studying abroad together in Salzburg, the whole "sunbae"/"hoobae" thing is no longer relevant. Both would be starting at the Universität Mozarteum (i.e. Salzburg's music university - yes, I looked it up :P) at the same time, albeit in different fields. But she's gotta call him something, so..."Orabang" it is again. Because no matter what happens, he's still older than her and he's still a guy: so that aspect of their dynamic is never going to change.
2 hours ago, Calli said:

I really love him in hats, too. While so many fans on DC Gallery used to complain because he wore hats so often during 1N2D I loved him in all of them^^ 

I personally think that JW wore hats all the time on 1N2D because, with the hairstyle that he had in Gaksital, his bangs were always falling in front of his face :P So he sort of had to sweep them back in some sort of way, and hats were a good way to do that. Plus, it's a lot easier to just put on a hat and go rather than try to go through all the steps of styling one's hair on a variety show shoot: it can't be a coincidence that JW was the cast member who wore hats the most and was also the one with the longest hair at the time.

2 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

needless to say in my sassy girl he is the only actor that I have seen that looks great on hanbok and I see many historical dramas joo won is the most handsome with that

I don't know if JW was the most handsome in historical hanbok for my own tastes - he pulled it off well, but also wound up looking comically big and tall compared to his co-stars - but I do think he's someone who can pull off both historical and contemporary drama looks equally.

I do hope to see JW in a serious sageuk someday. I honestly think he'd nail that, and it would let his real strengths as an actor come to the surface. My Sassy Girl was fine, but I still don't think rom-com gives him enough room to show what he's capable of ;) 

And thanks for all those articles, @flutterby06:7555_attack:

25 minutes ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

at the beginning fye known in korea as being almost equal to top and kang dong won I honestly see very little resemblance to them but in a movie that I saw of kang dong won if he looked like kang dong won to me

I think the resemblance between JW and Kang Dong Won was more apparent when he was first starting out. Like, if you compare images of both actors in their early 20s, they really do have a similar "look". However, in their respective late 20s and early 30s, they've matured into two very distinct faces, in my opinion. Kang Dong Won's face is more angular and his features seem to be longer/narrower, whereas JW seems to have wound up with a softer look (initially) before ending up with a face that's a bit more square (now).

• Like 3
  • Love 1

4 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I think the resemblance between JW and Kang Dong Won was more apparent when he was first starting out. Like, if you compare images of both actors in their early 20s, they really do have a similar "look". However, in their respective late 20s and early 30s, they've matured into two very distinct faces, in my opinion. Kang Dong Won's face is more angular and his features seem to be longer/narrower, whereas JW seems to have wound up with a softer look (initially) before ending up with a face that's a bit more square (now).

if it's true in 2010 they had a certain resemblance but now exactly I think it looks better than 10 years ago

k

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I don't know if JW was the most handsome in historical hanbok for my own tastes - he pulled it off well, but also wound up looking comically big and tall compared to his co-stars - but I do think he's someone who can pull off both historical and contemporary drama looks equally.

I do hope to see JW in a serious sageuk someday. I honestly think he'd nail that, and it would let his real strengths as an actor come to the surface. My Sassy Girl was fine, but I still don't think rom-com gives him enough room to show what he's capable of ;) 

To my liking, I think it is, because as I told you, I know how to watch historical dramas and I think he looks much better than other actors, what captivates me the most in my sassy girl is when she laughs she makes some beautiful eyes I know how to love to see Historical dramas I am a fan of that, although the story of my sassy girl did not fascinate me so to speak, just by seeing joo won's face I loved it. I love Joo Won's face, I'm not the only one who said that, some think the same as I think that if sometimes he doesn't look very good on camera, it's because Joo Won doesn't know how to take care of his face like another actor, but if he did I'm sure he looked much more handsome, his mother gave him a beautiful face

• Like 4

@flutterby06thank you so so much for compiling those articles and sharing them with us!! I especially loved the one where Joo Won shared photographs he took from set. It's like getting a chance to see the staff and surroundings through 2010 Joo Won's eyes :') 

Thank you for sharing the sources as well:fullofhearts:

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

I also remember trying to rationalize it, story-wise (obviously, production-wise, it was for the reasons you described), and I came up with two main hypotheses

I'll try to keep your hypotheses in mind when I rewatch some day~ Though to me honestly her "relapse" didn't make sense story wise, it's nice to know you found a way to make it make sense for you. 

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

Plus, it's a lot easier to just put on a hat and go rather than try to go through all the steps of styling one's hair on a variety show shoot:

I think that's the main reason Joo Won wore hats as much as he did during 1N2D

For one, his hair wasn't always long throughout the shoot and he wore hats often anyways (he shot Gaksital during 1N2D but also 7th GCS and Good Doctor). Shi Kyung always had longer bangs than Joo Won but wore hats way less than him. 

And then, whenever Joo Won's hair was styled he didn't wear a hat but as soon as he washed up in the evening he'd be back to hats^^ 

Plus, I was thinking hats were practical for seasonal reasons too: during winter they kept him warm and in the summer they protected him from the sun~ I think the other members wore hats quite often for those reasons as well, it's just that my main focus is always on Joo Won so while I don't remember anything much of the other members' outfits (unless they were very colorful) I can always clearly recall Joo Won's :wub:

Either way, it's a good thing he looked lovely in each hat of his very vast hat collection^^ 

I just saw that a fan on DC Gallery posted a short summary of Fire Fighter :partyblob: 

Here is the translation by papago: 

"Based on a true story, a touching story about a firefighter's noble sacrifice.

Newbie Cheol-woong will be deployed to the Seoul Fire Department's rescue team for his first mission with Jin-seop, a veteran firefighter who saved countless people from the flames. In the midst of fierce flames and pouring smoke, Chul-woong witnesses Jin-seop searching for survivors in violation of the captain's withdrawal order, and just before the fire devours the building, Jin-seop manages to escape with a girl, but his colleague dies. Chul-woong's fear becomes anger at Jin-seop, blames his colleague's death, and when the conflict peaks, they are ordered to go to the scene of another fire that changes their fate forever.

Director Kwak Kyung-taek, starring Kwak Do-won, Juwon, Yoo Jae-myung, Lee Yoo-young, Kim Min-jae, Oh Dae-hwan, Lee Joon-hyuk, Jang Young-nam

SOURCE. IkMu (I think that stands for 'extreme movie')"

edit: here's the original source of the summary: https://extmovie.com/movietalk/65978624

• Like 2
  • Love 1

42 minutes ago, Calli said:

I just saw that a fan on DC Gallery posted a short summary of Fire Fighter :partyblob: 

Newbie Cheol-woong will be deployed to the Seoul Fire Department's rescue team for his first mission with Jin-seop, a veteran firefighter who saved countless people from the flames. In the midst of fierce flames and pouring smoke, Chul-woong witnesses Jin-seop searching for survivors in violation of the captain's withdrawal order, and just before the fire devours the building, Jin-seop manages to escape with a girl, but his colleague dies. Chul-woong's fear becomes anger at Jin-seop, blames his colleague's death, and when the conflict peaks, they are ordered to go to the scene of another fire that changes their fate forever.

Director Kwak Kyung-taek, starring Kwak Do-won, Juwon, Yoo Jae-myung, Lee Yoo-young, Kim Min-jae, Oh Dae-hwan, Lee Joon-hyuk, Jang Young-nam

SOURCE. IkMu (I think that stands for 'extreme movie')"

edit: here's the original source of the summary: https://extmovie.com/movietalk/65978624

Thanks for the information that means that the movie could be released soon I'm desperate to see the movie and see him as a firefighter since I saw a photo of him when he was filming the look was great and it would be great to see him promoting the movie and just by chance someone knows how long they know how to last to film korean movies

• Like 2
  • Love 1

7 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

Thanks for the information that means that the movie could be released soon I'm desperate to see the movie and see him as a firefighter since I saw a photo of him when he was filming the look was great and it would be great to see him promoting the movie and just by chance someone knows how long they know how to last to film korean movies

I really hope so too!! Both that the release of Fire Fighter is coming up soon and hopefully that Joo Won will be able to properly promote the movie :Please:Think of all the interviews and appearances we'd get~

@Andrea BalcazarI think the duration of filming a movie depends a lot on the movie itself but from what I've gathered from some movies I had looked into, it can be anything between 2 to 4 months. But this really is just based on a couple of movies I had followed at the time of filming in the past so I'm sure there are movies that shoot for longer or even shorter periods of time. Are you wondering how long Joo Won will be filming Carter? I'm curious too~

• Like 2
  • Awesome 2

7 hours ago, Calli said:

Thanks for this! I remember we were all trying to guess at JW's character's name, and I guess it's out in the open now (lol - the DC Gallery post even had as its title, "The character is Cheol Woong?"). Combined with what @flutterby06 said back then about this film being inspired by a real firefighting accident in 2003 (where several firefighters were killed), it does seem like we've got an interesting story here - and possibly a tearjerker as well, depending on which of the two fires was based on the real one.

We also have our first actual still/screenshot, by the way ;) It's hard to tell if that's JW or another one of the actors, but it's still something.

7 hours ago, Calli said:

I'll try to keep your hypotheses in mind when I rewatch some day~ Though to me honestly her "relapse" didn't make sense story wise, it's nice to know you found a way to make it make sense for you. 

lol - That's my writer's mind for you ;) Even though I'm not someone who's ever gone beyond fanfiction when it comes to creative writing (I've created original characters within a given story universe, but struggle to come up with a completely original world of my own), I tend to find gaps in the original story or one-dimensional characters to be something of an invitation or challenge: how can I make this point make sense? :P 

(And now, moving on to some old stuff I didn't get to responding to earlier)

17 hours ago, Calli said:

I wonder how she would have played her character if she had been free of the context of the original... considering how all other characters were rather toned down, as you say, in comparison to the original, it might have done her and the drama more service to have a more temperate version of her character as well.

I haven't watched the original Nodame Cantabile in full, but if you take a look at clips like these, you'll see what I mean about everyone being rather "extra" compared to their K-drama counterparts:

17 hours ago, Calli said:

But they obviously couldn't reshoot all of that footage... thankfully with so many dramas being pre-produced these days things like these don't seem to be much of an issue anymore. Even when they do shoot out of order. 

Pre-produced dramas have tighter storytelling overall, but I do think that it's the live shoot format that ultimately allowed Nae Il's Cantabile to work out. Since a lot of the initial struggle to gain an audience was focused on Nae Il's characterization in particular, the live shoot format actually gave the director and Shim Eun Kyung a chance to adjust their portrayal. If this was a pre-produced drama, they wouldn't have been able to do that even if they wanted to.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

Combined with what @flutterby06 said back then about this film being inspired by a real firefighting accident in 2003 (where several firefighters were killed), it does seem like we've got an interesting story here - and possibly a tearjerker as well, depending on which of the two fires was based on the real one.

Thanks for linking the article @kittyna. Tbh I'm a little confused as to the real incident Fire Fighter is based on because on extreme movie it said "based on the Hongje-dong fire incident in 2001" and then I found an article referencing a big fire in Hongje-dong in 2001 where 6 firefighters lost their lives and thought that must be it. But then I read the article you linked and it also states that 6 fire fighters lost their lives in a building collapse in Hongje-dong in 2003... :huh: 

Whichever one of the two incidents the movie is based upon though, I agree we have a very interesting and also very heartbreaking story to look forward to. I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering if Joo Won's Cheol Woong will make it out alive *fingerscrossed* 

I only know very little about the movie (other than the summary) since I wasn't around when it was announced that Joo Won was cast in it or when he was filming it, but I can't wait to see him act in such a powerful "human interest story". I know this term only applies to journalism and not movies but I hope you know what I mean anyway^^

Stories of "everyday" heroes who are willing to make the ultimate sacrifice for people they don't even know tend to be very powerful and pull people in. I know they pull me in and make me feel and think a lot... Hopefully the movie will get promoted well and lots of people will get a chance to see it. Especially if the movie is really based on the 2001 incident, it seems part of why it was turned into a movie script could also be to raise awareness for the victims (and their families who erected a monument at their own expense) their poor working conditions and the treatment they receive.

I haven't watched the original Nodame Cantabile in full, but if you take a look at clips like these, you'll see what I mean about everyone being rather "extra" compared to their K-drama counterparts:

Hahaha, "extra" is the perfect word to describe what I just saw :lol: 

I wonder why the Korean script writer (and director?) decided to tone everybody down except for Naeil...

the live shoot format actually gave the director and Shim Eun Kyung a chance to adjust their portrayal.

Absolutely! I'm just left wondering why they didn't think of adjusting the character and her portrayal from the get-go as well, like they did for the other characters. There must be some very valid reason for it... 

That's my writer's mind for you ;) 

I envy you your writer's mind~ Only when I know and trust a writer am I willing to come up with possible explanations/excuses when I encounter plotlines or character development that don't make sense to me. But there are very few such writers for me... Most of the time I just watch a drama/movie, not knowing anything about who wrote the script, and thinking it's the writer's job to make it make sense to me^^ 

• Like 4

Joo Won posted an insta story a little while ago to say "thank you" for the coffee truck fans sent him today on the Carter set~ 

Look at his cute little finger heart :fullofhearts:

spacer.png

It's a really lovely coffee truck. Thanks so much to the fans who worked hard on the design and to everyone who made this possible~ 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1

Could it be that Park Jeong Sik's latest insta story is referring to a late workout with Joo Won? 

spacer.png

He had posted before that he's on a business trip in Daejeon (about an hour away from Seoul by train) and then later he posted the story above from a hotel room with the caption: „Arrived at the hotel! Let’s do a workout now with Wonie gogo!“

I don't know of course if "원이랑" (with Wonie) is really referring to Joo Won and not another "x Won" Park Jeong Sik trainernim might know~ but if it really is Joo Won (and if the Carter set is somewhere close by) I thought it's really impressive that after a day of shooting, Joo Won might have also put in another training session this late in the day... it's probably nothing unusual for him by now, but I still can't help but think it extraordinary^^ 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Calli said:

He had posted before that he's on a business trip in Daejeon (about an hour away from Seoul by train) and then later he posted the story above from a hotel room with the caption: „Arrived at the hotel! Let’s do a workout now with Wonie gogo!“

I don't know of course if "원이랑" (with Wonie) is really referring to Joo Won and not another "x Won" Park Jeong Sik trainernim might know~ but if it really is Joo Won (and if the Carter set is somewhere close by) I thought it's really impressive that after a day of shootingthis late in the day... it's probably nothing unusual for him by now, but I still can't help but think it extraordinary^^ 

i think it refers to joo won or another joo won usually joo won's coach calls him as joo won no wonie

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

i think it refers to joo won or another joo won usually joo won's coach calls him as joo won no wonie

Yeah, no way for us to be sure... I can't recall if Park Jeong Sik has ever called Joo Won "Wonie" in one of his videos/posts that I've seen - he often describes him as his "dongsaeng" (little brother) but other than that I can't remember... 

I know Joo Won's hyungs on 1N2D sometimes called him "Wonie", especially when they were talking just between themselves and the camera happened to catch that. "Joo Wonie", "Joo Wonah" but also "Wonie", which I think is really cute and expresses so much familiarity~

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Calli said:

Yeah, no way for us to be sure... I can't recall if Park Jeong Sik has ever called Joo Won "Wonie" in one of his videos/posts that I've seen - he often describes him as his "dongsaeng" (little brother) but other than that I can't remember... 

I know Joo Won's hyungs on 1N2D sometimes called him "Wonie", especially when they were talking just between themselves and the camera happened to catch that. "Joo Wonie", "Joo Wonah" but also "Wonie", which I think is really cute and expresses so much familiarity~

It's true but I don't think I have another boy who trains with that name so we can be more or less sure it's Joo Won since action scenes also require a lot of strength and I guess Joo Won trains at break time

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

It's true but I don't think I have another boy who trains with that name so we can be more or less sure it's Joo Won since action scenes also require a lot of strength and I guess Joo Won trains at break time

Park Jeong Sik posted his story from the hotel at around 8pm KST... so if "Wonie" is really Joo Won then our favorite actor is working really really hard these days too - not that that's surprising at all. It's just, imagining he spent the whole day working hard on the Carter set and then instead of going home to rest he puts in a workout session really brings it home once again how very hardworking he is... Joo Wonie fighting~ :hwaiting:

• Like 3
  • Awesome 1

11 minutes ago, Calli said:

Park Jeong Sik posted his story from the hotel at around 8pm KST... so if "Wonie" is really Joo Won then our favorite actor is working really really hard these days too - not that that's surprising at all. It's just, imagining he spent the whole day working hard on the Carter set and then instead of going home to rest he puts in a workout session really brings it home once again how very hardworking he is... Joo Wonie fighting~ :hwaiting:

if our boy is a hard worker

• Like 5

On 6/11/2021 at 7:39 PM, Andrea Balcazar said:

Someone just posted an army video where joo won was actually looking so cute

in this video he is with gu kyung pio and benzino singing a happy birthday to someone

https://www.instagram.com/p/CP-k9Eshk81/?utm_medium=copy_link

Oh I love the army stories and clips so much.. :fullofhearts:

16 hours ago, Calli said:

It's true no way to confirm it's Joo Won from just those stories but let's be honest... Park Jeong Sik trainer nim knows we're interested only in our wonie.. Ha ha..

It's we didn't see him calling Joo Won wonie but we saw him calling him Joo Wonie which people who're close to Joo Won frequently does. So it won't be very unusual if he calls him wonie. And it could be his way of making sure only JW fans decode who he's talking about.

So I think it's our Joo Won.. probably there for Carter filming. 

Do you guys find it unusual that we're mostly getting the update of Carter filming only from trainer nim not from his mangers/stylist/senior staffs from studio stanta? 

Because I do find it unusual ..like starting a Netflix blockbuster is a thing to brag about at least by the pov of a Management Agency but they're being unusually quite about this. At first I thought that may be it could be because Netflix has the right over what info could be shared about this production or not and they'll do it on their own but clearly that's not the case. 

1) Park Jeon Sik trainer nim clearly giving us updates

2) Fans sent coffee truck to Carter filming which means they got the location from Studio Stanta.

So a simple Joo Won started filming Carter update from either studio stanta or their officials who has always updated us on Joo won tid bits could be expected...no ?

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Park Jeong Sik trainer nim knows we're interested only in our wonie.. Ha ha..

:lol: He sure does. When I saw his insta story from today where he said he was having cold noodles together with the hardworking makeup team, I just assumed that he meant Joo Won's makeup team and that trainernim was probably on or close by to the Carter set again^^

He really is the only one giving us regular updates on Joo Won :(

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

So a simple Joo Won started filming Carter update from either studio stanta or their officials who has always updated us on Joo won tid bits could be expected...no ?

Agree... that's really not a lot to expect. 

Because I haven't been around for any of Joo Won's past filmings in real time, I'm honestly not sure what to expect... all I know is from my 2012/13 research that it used to be Joo Won who updated fans quite often on his filmings. There were these really cute tweets for example on the day he started filming Only You (Catch Me) (May 26, 2013) where he attached really lovely selcas too: 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I would love it so much if he still did that~ 

I wish his agency at least would be a little more forthcoming with Joo Won updates though... they should pay Park Jeong Sik a salary not just for training Joo Won all those years but also for his PR work^^ 

• Like 4
  • Awesome 1