Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

8 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

Thank you very much for the traditions, you are very good with Korean, how did you learn it?

You're most welcome. :)

Honestly I'm not good with Korean. I can't speak or read korean. I can't even read any of their alphabet other than probably 주원 ,문준원 (because I use those tags frequently) and few shows name(and even those I tend to forget). 

Let me explain what helps in my translation. I mostly do translation by listening. I'm familiar with Korean vocabulary by listening. I've been watching KDrama with English subtitles from 2013. And also I've seen many interviews. So I can recognise many of their words that they usually use in KDrama/celebrity interviews. Also very particularly I watched many Joo Won's interviews, vlives when I started being a fan too. Many of his interviews and shows has subtitles. So his most used words feel common to me too. 

Thus I listen and try to translate. But before I had no idea what to do with captions as I can't read Korean. Now there's app to translate texts on picture. When it's a written news, captions I go through Google Translation, Papago mostly now a days. Papago is very helpful. Specially when we translate from picture to text. But they also do word to word translation which sometimes doesn't feel right. @Calli was saying above how Papago say it's 'Lighting Star' but I translated it as 'Shining Star' which seems better. It's because I too found the same result too. So I listened to see if I know the words and found out they meant 'Shining Star'. Both translator will let you hear the translated texts. So that sometimes helps make more okay translation that makes sense.

And sometimes I do understand what is being said because I've heard the context before but I don't have words to explain that in English. English isn't my first language so I sometimes struggle with finding the right vocabulary.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Thus I listen and try to translate. But before I had no idea what to do with captions now there's app to translate texts on picture. When it's a written news, captions I go through Google Translation, Papago mostly now a days. Papago is very helpful. Specially when we translate from picture t text. But they also do like word to word translation sometimes which doesn't feel right. @Calli was saying above how Papago say it's 'Lighting Star' but I translated it as 'Shining Star' which seems better. It's because I too found that result. So I listened to it. Both translator will let you hear the translated texts. So that sometimes helps make make more okay translation that makes sense.

I would never have cared to do that to create the subtitles, thank you for telling me, I'll also try to do what you do to support with subtitles.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Can't exactly say when this was taken but my bet(by looking at his physical appearance) is that it's either sometime before his TV debut or right after tv debut.

Thank you so so much for taking the time to answer my question @flutterby06. How I wish I would have found more information and details on this particular "Those Magic Changes" performance by Joo Won.

Korean fans on DC Gallery didn't have the habit of adding dates to the content of their posts, only veeeery few times was a date or any sort of background information added when they were posting older Joo Won content, so I'm always left guessing :huh: Sometimes I'm lucky and I stumble on the details or I don't find anything even if I search and search for it~

Anyway, if I happen to find anything more concrete regarding this performance, I'll make sure to share~

One of those lucky instances where I had found more info on one of Joo Won's older photos was the one that was also featured in the MBC section tv interview that @Andrea Balcazarposted yesterday and @flutterby06kindly translated :partyblob:

Joo Won with his Han Ji Sang sunbae, July 29, 2008

the caption reads: "the day I saw hyung's play. thank you so much for hyung's wonderful acting/performance~"

spacer.png

22 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

there was a bit of mentioned of that.. but mostly questioned was- Will he want to be with someone who has someone else in her mind.. Joo Won at the end replied in negative saying he'd not like to do so.

Oh, I see! I'll just share with you what I got based on the transcript I did for that part: 

"Q: Have you ever had a crush on someone else’s woman?

To be honest, I never did. I used to think: 'Something like that could happen'. I don't think so (anymore). She's someone else's girl. 

Q: In reality, can you get married against your parents? 

From the start, we have to be very close and happy. Because I'm sure that I only can continue to be happy with my marriage (if it starts out like that). I don't think I'll get married this way (against my parents’ wishes)."

here's the Korean transcript for that part:

Spoiler

남의 여자에게 호감 가진 경험은? 
솔직히 그런 적은 없는데. 에전에는 그렇게 생각했었어요. '그럴 수도 있어' 그랬는데. 안 그럴 것 같아요. 다른 사람의 여자고. 

실제라면 부모가 반대하는 결혼 할 수 있나? 
시작부터 정말 서로 둥의가 있고 행북해야. 계속 결혼 생활 행북할 수 있다고 저는 확실히 생각하고 있기 때문에. 그런 결혼은 안할 것 같아요. 

14 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

@Calli was saying above how Papago say it's 'Lighting Star' but I translated it as 'Shining Star' which seems better. It's because I too found that result. So I listened to it. Both translator will let you hear the translated texts. So that sometimes helps make make more okay translation that makes sense.

To be honest, after rereading and rewatching the interview, the "thunderbolt / lightning bolt" star translation actually makes more sense to me... because to the viewers and reporters back then who didn't know about Joo Won's musical career and his background (majoring in Theatre and Arts at Sungkyunkwan University), he really seemingly appeared suddenly in drama land - and not in a minor role, but in a leading role off the bat - like a "lighting bolt" or "out of the blue".

So Joo Won's answer to that question in the news segment:

Spoiler

주원은 벼락스타다? 

대학교 들어가서 (연기) 공부를 계속 하면서 뮤지컬을 시작했고. 뮤지컬 3년을 주조연 앙상블부터 하고. 드라마로 왔잖아요. 통으로 따지자면 벼락은 아니지만. 드라마 쪽에서는 뭐 그렇게 말씀하셔도 저는 변명할게 없네요. 

"I started doing musicals while continuing to study (acting) after entering university. I've been acting as part of the main and ensemble cast for 3 years in musicals. Then I came to (do) a drama.  As a whole,

It’s/I’m not a bolt out of the blue. On the drama side, even if you say so (that I came like a bolt out of the blue), I have no excuses."

So Joo Won is basically explaining that he very much has a background in acting, so generally speaking, he didn't come out of nowhere, as in being a novice to acting and getting a leading role for his drama debut anyway. However if one only looks at the realm of drama, he really did get a leading role without having played in any other dramas before, so there he can't really say anything if someone claims he came out of the blue, like a lighting bolt. 

At least that's what makes sense to me^^

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2

On 6/7/2021 at 11:12 AM, Andrea Balcazar said:

I would never have cared to do that to create the subtitles, thank you for telling me, I'll also try to do what you do to support with subtitles.

Before I started using these apps for regular translation, I was lost when sometimes they'd put the question in subtitles. So I'd try to guess the questions from answers. But now I find it helpful when they give captions for both questions and answers. Because now I can do picture to text translation and also listen them so I can do more meaningful translation with complete sentences that makes sense.

Last time I did this translation the added captions in the video was so helpful because I don't have enough theatre/musical related vocabularies sometime in both language. So didn't what exactly is being said I only could identify the context. But it helped so much that the video had caption. 

But depending only on caption that I can't can be is such a struggle.. It makes things tough because sometimes they do literal word to word translation. 

And there's this recent interview, I don't understand 80% of what is being said here because they're asking him to answer of-

1) Korean insider short forms that are popular among going generation. 

2) there's some theatre based vocabulary used.

I didn't even try understanding it that much because it seems like such a struggle. But all I can see is he is being asked some widely used phrase related to regular day to day life and theatre life and Joo Won struggled to answer many.

On 6/7/2021 at 12:59 PM, Calli said:

the caption reads: "the day I saw hyung's play. thank you so much for hyung's wonderful acting/performance~"

Awww... Such a baby Joo Won. :hooray2:

Have you ever had a crush on someone else’s woman?

To be honest, I never did. I used to think: 'Something like that could happen'. I don't think so (anymore). She's someone else's girl. 

Q: In reality, can you get married against your parents? 

From the start, we have to be very close and happy. Because I'm sure that I only can continue to be happy with my marriage (if it starts out like that). I don't think I'll get married this way (against my parents’ wishes)."

here's the Korean transcript for that part:

Yes... This context seems right.  Thanks @Calli. I will edit it later then.

But the bottom line was he was mostly emphazing on the fact that both the woman and him needs in love or interested in each other. Otherwise marriage will be difficult. So he'd like to do a marriage as such.

And also it goes beyond saying the way he is a guy who values elders and his parents, he'd very much like to find a women who both him and his family would love. 

Hope he finds her soon and live happily ever after. Seriously it'd be awesome to see a Joo Won who is very responsible Family guy. The way he gave the speech to his close highschool friends marriage, I just love how he was reminding his friend how he'd need to be more responsible now than he was before to raise a family like a sensible friend should. :fullofhearts:

be honest, after rereading and rewatching the interview, the "thunderbolt / lightning bolt" star translation actually makes more sense to me... because to the viewers and reporters back then who didn't know about Joo Won's musical career and his background (majoring in Theatre and Arts at Sungkyunkwan University), he really seemingly appeared suddenly in drama land - and not in a minor role, but in a leading role off the bat - like a "lighting bolt" or "out of the blue".

So Joo Won's answer to that question in the news segment:

Reveal hidden contents

주원은 벼락스타다? 

대학교 들어가서 (연기) 공부를 계속 하면서 뮤지컬을 시작했고. 뮤지컬 3년을 주조연 앙상블부터 하고. 드라마로 왔잖아요. 통으로 따지자면 벼락은 아니지만. 드라마 쪽에서는 뭐 그렇게 말씀하셔도 저는 변명할게 없네요. 

"I started doing musicals while continuing to study (acting) after entering university. I've been acting as part of the main and ensemble cast for 3 years in musicals. Then I came to (do) a drama.  As a whole,

It’s/I’m not a bolt out of the blue. On the drama side, even if you say so (that I came like a bolt out of the blue), I have no excuses."

So Joo Won is basically explaining that he very much has a background in acting, so generally speaking, he didn't come out of nowhere, as in being a novice to acting and getting a leading role for his drama debut anyway. However if one only looks at the realm of drama, he really did get a leading role without having played in any other dramas before, so there he can't really say anything if someone claims he came out of the blue, like a lighting bolt. 

At least that's what makes sense to me^^

Yep... Now that you say it it makes sense. 'Lightning Star' it is. Thank you. :heartxoxo:

Glad that you found it. 

Edited by serenilmauve
Don’t quote images! Thanks!
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

58 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

I didn't even try understanding it that much because it seems like such a struggle. But all I can see is he is being asked some widely used phrase related to regular day to day life and theatre life and Joo Won struggled to answer many.

I remember watching that Theatre+ interview and giving up on trying to understand it via transcript. I just enjoyed Joo Won's adorable expressions^^ The way he expressed his happiness when he got it right was just soooo cute. I love that pure, childlike enthusiasm of his so much :') 

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

Hope he finds her soon and live happily ever after. Seriously it'd be awesome to see a Joo Won who is very responsible Family guy. The way he gave the speech to his close highschool friends marriage, I just love how he was reminding his friend how he'd need to be more responsible now than he was before to raise a family like a sensible friend should.

I want that so, so much for him, too :wub: The family values he was raised with, the way he's said so often that he's been thinking about marriage from a very young age - having a meaningful relationship and a  happy family is so close to his heart... I hope he finds someone who'll love and appreciate him for the wonderful, warmhearted and sincere man he is (if he hasn't found that someone already) and that he'll get to experience everything he always wanted as a husband and father. 

• Like 1
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 2

7 hours ago, Calli said:

How handsome he has been as a teenager I have seen that only few actors have looked handsome at that age but joo won definitely very handsome and no surgery does that is what I like about him and many thanks for sharing I have never seen this I don't know if Could you give me more these types of photos since I can't find them
7 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Hope he finds her soon and live happily ever after. Seriously it'd be awesome to see a Joo Won who is very responsible Family guy. The way he gave the speech to his close highschool friends marriage, I just love how he was reminding his friend how he'd need to be more responsible now than he was before to raise a family like a sensible friend should. 

And really as you say it would be great to see our joo won responsible for a family I am sure he would do great since he is a very responsible man in some way I wonder if joo won had finished his military service at 20 and when he was in relation to boa I really think they were able to get married since the military service was what made them end their relationship because I really think they were dating until now since joo won as you said he takes relationships very seriously even with the thought of marriage I hope to see him in the future enjoying having children and wife

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

How handsome he has been as a teenager I have seen that only few actors have looked handsome at that age but joo won definitely very handsome and no surgery does that is what I like about him and many thanks for sharing I have never seen this I don't know if Could you give me more these types of photos since I can't find them

Couldn't agree more, @Andrea Balcazar. He was almost 21 (by European reckoning) when that picture was taken and he looked absolutely wonderful back then already. Just his sweet, natural self. I really love that about him too that he hasn't had any plastic surgery (unlike so many other Korean celebrities) and I'm really grateful he never altered any of his naturally lovely features. 

Sure! I'll share more old pics when I find some. Of course you might have seen some of them but it's always fun looking at Joo Won "baby" pics :fullofhearts:

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Calli said:

Couldn't agree more, @Andrea Balcazar. He was almost 21 (by European reckoning) when that picture was taken and he looked absolutely wonderful back then already. Just his sweet, natural self. I really love that about him too that he hasn't had any plastic surgery (unlike so many other Korean celebrities) and I'm really grateful he never altered any of his naturally lovely features. 

Sure! I'll share more old pics when I find some. Of course you might have seen some of them but it's always fun looking at Joo Won "baby" pics 

Actually at that time even with 20 years he had a baby face but he is very handsome haha I really think at that time he could see a lot of girl interested in him since you should haha I find him too handsome and if please keep sharing more of these photos

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

I had never seen these images here I share them in case you have not seen it

ooooooh!! these must be from the Baker King wrap-up party that took place on September 16, 2010!! 

I had never seen them before either @Andrea Balcazar. Thanks so much for sharing :partyblob:

• Like 2

Hahaha @Andrea Balcazar, I'm smiling at your cute description. 

I just saw Joo Won's insta story too and it seems he's busy busy training these days too. I thought maybe he wouldn't have the time to train as much since he started filming Carter but seems he can still make time for training. 

What I love most though about his story is how he's asking us all cutely how we are, smiley and all :wub: 

spacer.png

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Calli said:

I just saw Joo Won's insta story too and it seems he's busy busy training these days too. I thought maybe he wouldn't have the time to train as much since he started filming Carter but seems he can still make time for training. 

What I love most though about his story is how he's asking us all cutely how we are, smiley and all 

haha it's true but what I don't like is that it is very bulky since I'm afraid that he would see it flaccid in the movie like in Alice I really love his little ears but really because of doing so much exercise he is losing his pretty face and hearing them

12 minutes ago, Calli said:

Hahaha @Andrea Balcazar, I'm smiling at your cute description.

haha yes even I laughed because of how I said it

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

haha it's true but what I don't like is that it is very bulky since I'm afraid that he would see it flaccid in the movie like in Alice I really love his little ears but really because of doing so much exercise he is losing his pretty face and hearing them

I really really miss his cute, fluffy cheeks too, Andrea... It's been a while since we've seen his lovely face and I'm sure he'll look amazing, but I still know what you mean. 

Joo Won always commits 100% to everything he does and it seems training at the gym has become a necessity to him for sure. I don't know in how far that could also partly be because of his role in Carter but judging from his habits during Ghost as well, he's a gym enthusiast through and through. 

For me, since I'm currently living both in 2013 and 2021 thanks to Joo Won and my research on him^^, the contrast between then and now is quite huge. Back then he never had the time to exercise during his endless schedule of filming one thing after another, and I think he really felt his stamina and condition drop after a while, especially when he returned to the stage for Ghost in 2013/14 (and he couldn't get rid of that cold, remember?). And that's also when he started training with Park Jeong Sik. So I can imagine that seeing his stamina grow over time and his health improve overall, kept him motivated to keep training. And now in 2021 we have buff Joo Won as a result^^ I can imagine him now, no matter how busy he is, to always make time for his training, even amidst a busy filming schedule. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Calli said:

And that's also when he started training with Park Jeong Sik. So I can imagine that seeing his stamina grow over time and his health improve overall, kept him motivated to keep training. And now in 2021 we have buff Joo Won as a result^^ I can imagine him now, no matter how busy he is, to always make time for his training, even amidst a busy filming schedule. 

It's funny when you think back to those first sessions at the gym (which he shared on Joo Won's Life Log), and he was struggling to do the pull-ups or starting out with those little 1kg weights. Yeah, we're way past that now, aren't we?

As for his filming schedule, I think it's probably manageable if he really does just focus on one project at a time. Back then, in 2012-2014, he was doing at least two - maybe even three or four - things at once, and so that really ate away at the time he had available. But now, if he's just focusing on Carter, then I can see him still being able to fit workouts into his routine. And besides, just by virtue of Carter being an action movie, some of the rehearsals and filming would also count as exercise ;) 

3 hours ago, Calli said:

Joo Won always commits 100% to everything he does and it seems training at the gym has become a necessity to him for sure. I don't know in how far that could also partly be because of his role in Carter but judging from his habits during Ghost as well, he's a gym enthusiast through and through. 

I will say that sometimes, I suspect he used to be insecure about his appearance - back when he wasn't built like he is now - so when I do see him posting gym pics like this, I do view them with just a tad of caution. It's great if he's doing this because he enjoys it or because it's healthy, but I do hope he never takes it too far and veers into "bigorexia" territory.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, kittyna said:

It's funny when you think back to those first sessions at the gym (which he shared on Joo Won's Life Log), and he was struggling to do the pull-ups or starting out with those little 1kg weights. Yeah, we're way past that now, aren't we?

Hahahaha :lol: Yup, we're way waaaaay past that for sure. But it's nice to remember... I had those images from life log in my head too as I was watching his insta story today. He's certainly come a very long way since then.

But like you @kittynaI really hope he can keep his balance and not overdo it :unsure: I had never heard of "bigorexia" before (thanks for the link!) and it sure sounds scary... I never suspected Joo Won of being insecure about his looks (since whenever he was asked about whether he sometimes thinks he's handsome, even in early interviews and despite being bashful, he always answered "yes") but I do think that the process of transforming your body can become a very, very addictive pastime. I've seen it happen to a friend and it took her quite a while to regain her balance :(

Hopefully that'll never happen to Joo Won... 

I saw this video on instagram today (you all probably saw it too) that compared Joo Won's physical condition now to how it was 3 months ago and it also mentioned "physical transformation/modification training", so I'm hoping his bulking up, and the fact that he was wearing a sweater during Park Jeong Sik's latest IG live so as not to give away his body, all has to do with his preparation for his role for Carter and is not just him getting more and more into his training. Joo Won is such a passionate actor, I can't imagine he'd ever do anything that would seriously limit what roles he can take on in the future...

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Calli said:

For me, since I'm currently living both in 2013 and 2021 thanks to Joo Won and my research on him^^, the contrast between then and now is quite huge. Back then he never had the time to exercise during his endless schedule of filming one thing after another, and I think he really felt his stamina and condition drop after a while, especially when he returned to the stage for Ghost in 2013/14 (and he couldn't get rid of that cold, remember?). And that's also when he started training with Park Jeong Sik. So I can imagine that seeing his stamina grow over time and his health improve overall, kept him motivated to keep training. And now in 2021 we have buff Joo Won as a result^^ I can imagine him now, no matter how busy he is, to always make time for his training, even amidst a busy filming schedule. 

In a way I am very worried but if it is because of his role in carter that he needs so much muscle it could be why they took 2 months to film but there is one thing that worries me when he said that he only ate protein, yogurt and a little chicken and in dc gallery i was seeing that joo won is very skinny i like to exercise but i dont like exaggerate denasido its ok to have six pack but not so much

several times I have seen that joo won's friends worry about him telling him not to lose much weight and well, I also have that fear since a friend for doing like joo won only proteones lost a lot that his face was too thin and from what I have really seen I think joowon when exercising he knows how to look very skinny and worse because of his head shape

• Like 2