Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

43 minutes ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

He really has been very talented both in acting and singing since as you said he was the leader but the others were much older than him and I am really looking for videos of him in those times but I don't find much

Yes! I could write a whole essay about his many, many talents (but I won't, don't worry^^). I think I remember that he talked about getting the lead role in Altar Boyz (after his very first time at an official audition) and how much pressure that put on him since as you said, Andrea, he was younger than his fellow actors and a complete rookie, yet he got the role as the leader (that's how outstandingly talented he is) during his Win Win appearance in November 2012. Let me go check. 

Yes! Found it~

"[The rag] is an object that was a big cause for me being able to debut.  I didn’t have any big ambitions. I was really having fun acting, but I didnt think – at a certain point I should have an audition and debut- I didnt have this kind of greed. So in college freshman year when I came in as the maknae, I came to school the earliest and was cleaning the theater alone. I was brooming and cleaning the floor with a rag. while doing that I was singing a song from a musical and some sunabe asked who are you. he was my school sunbae. so I introduced myself and the sunbae asked me to sing again. since he told me to, I sang in front of him again. then he told me he would recommend me for an audition.

[...]

To tell the truth I didnt want to go. how could I go on a stage for professionals now. but I had to go to the audition since the sunbae recommended me. so i prepared and sang.  I lost out on that audition. It was an informal audition. but the production company president told me to definitely go to the formal audition a month later. so cuz of that promise I made, I went to that audition and I passed that one and got into that musical. When I was 20.

[...]

The musical Altar boyz. I was the center out of 5 and the leader of the guys. I had to be in charge of the other 4 when I was the maknae. Cuz of my rag I was able to debut, but when I came out those hyungs were so much better than me. Inwardly I felt small, but none of the hyungs said anything to me. I started to stutter. I also started to go off-pitch while singing, which I had never done before -(I thought) “these things didnt happen so why are they happening” so hyungs caught on that my ki (energy) was dead (meaning he was dispirited)they didn’t think well of me at first and thought a strange kid came in -he was playing somewhere and made the audition. but every morning they saw me cleaning with the rag.

guy: did you do that on your own.

JW: yes.

guy: for how long.

JW: for 2 and a half months.

guy: did you think someone would see you?

JW: I dont think I didn’t have those thoughts (meaning he wanted them to see him cleaning and working hard) if they see that and think well of me then it’s good. but as the maknae I thought it was only natural for me to do that. since then the hyungs said we will treat you as the leader.  so you dont think of us as hyungs. you should lead us yourself. even in our real life.after hearing that I gained confidence. so I was able to perform well on stage."

@Andrea Balcazar, I'm always looking for videos from his musical days, too. And it is really hard but if I find anything I'll definitely share it. Maybe it'll be one you haven't seen yet :relaxed:

• Like 3
  • Replies 58.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

@CalliI think that God himself wanted Joo Won to be a singer and actor since the sunbae saw him and recommended him for a musical, his destiny was always to be an actor and singer

14 minutes ago, Calli said:

I'm always looking for videos from his musical days, too. And it is really hard but if I find anything I'll definitely share it. Maybe it'll be one you haven't seen yet :relaxed:

a question where do you know how to find that

19 minutes ago, Calli said:

I'm always looking for videos from his musical days, too. And it is really hard but if I find anything I'll definitely share it. Maybe it'll be one you haven't seen yet :relaxed:

And from what I've seen, Joo Wok is still the closest friend of a member of the musical since once I took that friend to a fan meeting and they played a song together.

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

a question where do you know how to find that

Oh, well, either on YouTube or youku when I know what I'm looking for - but that's proven rather difficult. So mostly when I'm browsing old DC Gallery posts or old posts on this forum I sometimes stumble on some gems. 

Since Joo Won has done so many things over the last 15 years and I've only been a fan for the better part of this year, it's basically impossible for me to "catch up" but I'm trying to fill in some blanks by reading old soompi forum posts, old naver articles (it's really easy to search those but they just contain news or appearances and not old fan videos from Joo Won's musical days of course)

So there's really a whole lot I don't know and might never learn :'( I don't know for example who Joo Wok is @Andrea Balcazar. I'm trying to remember Joo Won's best friend's name from high school at the moment whom we have seen often (in vlives and his Life Log, etc) but I don't think they've ever done a musical together. So you must mean someone else. Can you enlighten me? 

• Like 2
14 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

And from what I've seen, Joo Wok is still the closest friend of a member of the musical since once I took that friend to a fan meeting and they played a song together.

4 hours ago, Calli said:

I don't know for example who Joo Wok is @Andrea Balcazar. I'm trying to remember Joo Won's best friend's name from high school at the moment whom we have seen often (in vlives and his Life Log, etc) but I don't think they've ever done a musical together. So you must mean someone else. Can you enlighten me? 

JW's high school friend is Lee Se Wook - if I recall correctly, he's done theatre, but not musicals. So I do think @Andrea Balcazar is referring to one of JW's castmates from a musical production, or just someone he knows from that musical theatre circuit (even if they hadn't worked together before).

15 hours ago, Calli said:

Yes! I could write a whole essay about his many, many talents (but I won't, don't worry^^). I think I remember that he talked about getting the lead role in Altar Boyz (after his very first time at an official audition) and how much pressure that put on him since as you said, Andrea, he was younger than his fellow actors and a complete rookie, yet he got the role as the leader (that's how outstandingly talented he is) during his Win Win appearance in November 2012.

He also mentioned it during the "Good Doctor" episode of Happy Together, where he said that after landing the lead role for his debut in Altar Boyz, he chose to focus more on supporting/ensemble roles until he wound up as an understudy for the lead in Spring Awakening - and then the lead himself.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
23 minutes ago, kittyna said:

He also mentioned it during the "Good Doctor" episode of Happy Together, where he said that after landing the lead role for his debut in Altar Boyz, he chose to focus more on supporting/ensemble roles until he wound up as an understudy for the lead in Spring Awakening - and then the lead himself.

Yeeeees!! Bless you for posting that @kittyna. I was desperately trying to remember yesterday where he had said that after Altar Boyz he consciously chose to play supporting roles instead of lead roles and I just couldn't.

I've been trying to process too much Joo Won information for the past weeks and lots of it apparently isn't properly stored^^

And thank you for also reminding me of Joo Won's best friend's name~ 

• Like 3
3 hours ago, kittyna said:

W's high school friend is Lee Se Wook - if I recall correctly, he's done theatre, but not musicals. So I do think @Andrea Balcazar is referring to one of JW's castmates from a musical production, or just someone he knows from that musical theatre circuit (even if they hadn't worked together before).

his name i think was kim nam hoo osea he was a friend of joo won but from the altar boyz lee se wook instead he is a friend of joo won from high school

• Like 3

Since we were talking about old videos from his musical days, here's one I found that was taken after one of his Spring Awakening performances. It's very short and I'm not sure what exactly is happening in it but I thought it was so cute and funny the way he disappeared so quickly holding that box^^

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=joowon&no=146651&page=2632

• Like 4
4 minutes ago, Calli said:

Since we were talking about old videos from his musical days, here's one I found that was taken after one of his Spring Awakening perfromances. It's very short and I'm not sure what exactly is happening in it but I thought it was so cute and funny the way he disappeared so quickly holding that box

If I saw this video what I understood that he was leaving the function that he played that day of the spring awakening musical and it seems that the box was a gift that a fan gave him they said that joo won was very famous for those musical days and He was well known since he appeared in 5 musicals I think
  • Like 3

Since it's Thursday, here is a throwback to November 2008: another old video from Joo Won's musical days.

This was posted by a fervent musical and Joo Won fan in 2013 on her blog.

She attended Musical Talk Concert "Fever Night" - I encountered "Fever Night" quite a few times in my Joo Won research but never knew what it was exactly until I stumbled on this blog post. Joo Won and his Altar Boyz co-stars (Lee Changhee, Kim Namho, Lee Changyong) sang "The Calling" (from the musical) in this video. It must have been a really special night.

I'm so glad she decided to share that gem on her blog - and that the entry is still around so new fans can still enjoy it and admire 21-year-old Joo Wonie :wub:

http://blog.naver.com/people1215/110162841806

• Like 3
Posted (edited)
On 5/20/2021 at 2:49 PM, Calli said:

I'm so glad she decided to share that gem on her blog - and that the entry is still around so new fans can still enjoy it and admire 21-year-old Joo Wonie :wub:

I have also already seen it, I also know how to navigate in navigating in naver and I have found several things, this is not from naver, it is from youtube, but I share it anyway.

https://youtu.be/02XX7WB0hd4

as we have not heard from joo won I try to find joo won things now I am going to share several videos of joo won that I have found on youtube they are difficult to find these videos on youtube so I share them these videos are from the children's program of which joo won was freeze

Spoiler

I also found this from the musical grease

Spoiler

Edited by serenilmauve
Follow soompi rule and hide more than 3 images, videos, tweets and etc. in spoiler tags! Thanks!
  • Like 3
On 5/20/2021 at 10:09 AM, Andrea Balcazar said:

as we have not heard from joo won I try to find joo won things now I am going to share several videos of joo won that I have found on youtube they are difficult to find these videos on youtube so I share them these videos are from the children's program of which joo won was freeze

Thanks for sharing the videos! However, next time, remember that - just like pictures - multiple videos should be posted in "Hidden Content"/"Spoilers" to make the page easier to load ;) It's fine for me, but things can get really tough for mobile phone users.

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Thanks for sharing the videos! However, next time, remember that - just like pictures - multiple videos should be posted in "Hidden Content"/"Spoilers" to make the page easier to load ;) It's fine for me, but things can get really tough for mobile phone users.

yes sorry i forgot to put in spoilers

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

I want to see your full face

Haha^^ Me, too. But I'm soooo happy he posted at all after such a long time that I don't mind at all we're getting just part of his lovely face~

Hopefully his next update (or his agency's) won't take another month *fingerscrossed*

I'm really wondering when Carter will start filming... 

• Like 2
3 minutes ago, Calli said:

Haha^^ Me, too. But I'm soooo happy he posted at all after such a long time that I don't mind at all we're getting just part of his lovely face~

Hopefully his next update (or his agency's) won't take another month *fingerscrossed*

I'm really wondering when Carter will start filming...

It is true the same I think when I saw that I publish a little cry of happiness haha since we have not had news about him I am glad that he has published a photo I hope that he is already filming or I try to film they have told me that netflix movies are recorded quickly I hope so and joo won is not hurt with the action scenes that he is going to do

• Like 4
11 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

I hope that he is already filming or I try to film they have told me that netflix movies are recorded quickly I hope so and joo won is not hurt with the action scenes that he is going to do

Yeah, to be honest I always wonder how much Corona might be affecting filming schedules these days...

but I've also gotten the impression that Netflix movies are well organized and budgeted when it comes to filming and I really hope that will be the case for Carter as well. In case they haven't started filming yet. I'm kinda hoping Joo Won will tell us once he starts filming, haha^^

And like you, @Andrea Balcazar , I'm really really hoping he'll be safe while filming all those action scenes and come out of all of them unharmed and healthy. I was just reading an article how he got hurt (his nose again) during filming for 1N2D back in May 2013 and how he actually lost consciousness, was taken to the emergency room, and a little later he was back on set again :(  Hopefully something like that won't ever happen again...

• Like 3
2 hours ago, Calli said:

I'm really really hoping he'll be safe while filming all those action scenes and come out of all of them unharmed and healthy. I was just reading an article how he got hurt (his nose again) during filming for 1N2D back in May 2013 and how he actually lost consciousness, was taken to the emergency room, and an hour later he was back on set again :(  Hopefully something like that won't ever happen again...

I really did not know that they took him to the hospital I hope that joo won knows how to handle the action scenes well and the doctor of the new movie is seeing that the study in the action academy and I saw some of his movies are good I know that knows how to organize action scenes very well so that no one gets hurt

@CalliWell, although now the truth is, I don't think I have many accidents, joo won, because from what is practiced too much that I read out there that he himself said that he had a black belt means that he was at a very advanced level and more with the director who also studied at the school of action I know what I told you to know how to handle action scenes safely

• Like 3
13 hours ago, Andrea Balcazar said:

I read out there that he himself said that he had a black belt

Oh, Joo Won has a black belt? In Taekwondo? I didn't know that... 

I mean, he's very athletic and his action scenes in Gaksital and Alice were very, very impressive. 

To be honest, I've read about quite a few injuries he's had while filming on various sets over the years but thankfully nothing seems to have ever been serious (like his wrist diring Gaksital, his nose during 7th GCS and 1N2D or his head during Baker King). I'm sure Joo Won is always as careful as he can possibly be while giving his very best when acting... and like you said @Andrea Balcazar the director of Carter is very experienced when it comes to action scenes (and I'm sure so is his team) so they'll be taking all the necessary precautions. Hopefully Joo Won will be safe throughout filming and will have a great time making valuable new experiences~ 

• Like 3