• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

5 hours ago, partyon said:

Has Joo Won always had abs though? I didn't really notice them in this extent until Alice. He really has been keeping himself fit since his military service. To my and surely many other fans' delight.

No - the abs are new. We don't see them in any of JW's shirtless scenes prior to Alice. He joked once, during a fan meeting in Japan in 2013, that they didn't come easily for him and that he'd keep trying but couldn't promise anything.

So, in most of JW's shirtless scenes, he is fit or toned, but he's not ripped or particularly bulked up. That's what I recall from, say, Good Doctor (as you guys pointed out), but also Nae Il's Cantabile. And I actually think that it makes sense. My guess is that it's because abs actually don't come naturally for most people: it's not just about living a healthy or active lifestyle (which JW and most of his characters do), but specialized and focused strength training. So, given that, it makes narrative sense and would be in-character for Park Jin Gyeom to have abs, but not, say, Park Si On or Cha Yoo Jin. ;) 

[EDIT] 

I didn't realize there was a whole second page to this abs discussion. Can't say it's my thing myself - mostly because the whole concept of logging on to see thirst comments about JW has literally never crossed my mind before - but I do want to thank @Calli for figuring out the timeline that, as you'd see from what I wrote earlier, seems to be most likely from the drama-based evidence.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Blob 3

2 hours ago, partyon said:

Thank you so much for voting in the Joo Won poll! :heart1:

Thanks so much for making it @partyon. I wish more people would have voted... 

I'm currently stuck reading old posts from this thread from around 2012 and it used to be so loud and busy and fangirly back then :wub:  I wonder what @mrdimplesand @coolrebornand all those lucky fans who discovered Joo Won early on would say if they were still around, seeing how manly their cutie looks now~ They were extremely appreciative of his physical attributes back then already^^ and of course of all of him. 

It's really fun reading those old posts (the ones that are still accessible) and a really great Joo Won history lesson. So many interviews and updates almost daily back then. 

• Like 4
  • Love 1
  • Awesome 1

I'm also just popping by to share these two gems I found while scouring the thread for Joo Won in glasses pics :please:

If you guys know when these were taken or have any in your storage you'd like to share please do, I'd really appreciate it^^

spacer.png 

spacer.png

Edited by Calli
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

Hey everyone, I stumbled across Joo Won's tvn enews interview from November 2012 while I was browsing this thread and was desperately looking for subtitles or a translation and then found a post by @mrdimplesin which she had translated the interview but sadly I couldn't see the text within the post because the youtube video embedded in it was covering it :lol: 

Reading some old posts is really challenging... some just show up empty or you can only see embedded files and no text. Anyway, a computer wizard friend of mine easily managed to extract the text and I thought I'd share, just in case someone hasn't seen the interview yet, or has forgotten it since it took place so long ago^^

I thought it was really sweet and gave an interesting insight into Joo Won's mindset at the time.

here is the translation by @mrdimples

(my comments in bracket)

Nation’s maknae, Joo Won

3 years ago he was the young star who appeared in Baker King Kim Tak Gu

His looks are similar to Kang Dong Won and TOP

Nothing like a new comer, his courageous acting skills attracted the attention of viewers.

He even stole the heart of the one and only Uee.

Debuting only 3 years ago, Joo Won has already taken on lead roles.

Now, he is the man who has captured the hearts of Korean women (not just Korea, my dear)

Let us meet the best romantic guy, the charismatic handsome man Joo Won!

MC: Why are we here at Cheorwon?

JW: When I have rest time, I often come here.

MC: Oh, really?

JW: Ehn, the scenery here is very good

MC: I heard this hotel is owned by the President? (of Sim Entertainment?)

JW: So that’s why I come here even more often, haha

MC: Recently, you have completed the filming of Bridal Mask.

JW: Through Bridal Mask, you have earned the titles like the Nation’s actor, the ratings maker.

MC: Looks like you had a lot of stress.

JW: If I am really the nation’s actor, then I won’t feel the stress. But I am not truly the nation’s actor and it was not because of my being in the drama that the ratings was good. So the feeling of burden was heavy and I was also worried.

MC: I heard that Joo Won has a method of relieving stress?

JW: It’s totally uninteresting, a simple method…

MC: What is the method?

JW: Drinking coffee

MC: That’s really boring. Drinking, dancing, clubbing, aren’t these the things?

JW: I can’t drink. My body cannot take to it. So I start and end each day with a cup of coffee.

We prepared a special Drip coffee for Joo Won who cannot live without his cuppa.

MC: Let’s drink

JW: It’s very nice

MC: The way you drink also seem different.

JW: It’s the same…

MC: Take another sip and let’ see. You seem to have “tsk”

JW drinks again

MC: It’s really seems different

JW: Ah, is it?

MC: So, a CF model(for coffee) is really different.

MC: Do you know there is a psychological test for coffee drinkers? You have not been tested before, have you?

JW: I have not heard

MC: I prepared it. The innermost of one’s heart – “The Coffee Psychological Test”

Let’s start: Instant Coffee, Expresso, Americano, Café Latte and Machiatto. Which of these you prefer?

JW: Americano

MC: Oh..Joo Won-ssi likes Americano

JW: A bitter man(or astringent) man?

MC: An economical man?

JW laughs: An economical man…

MC reads answer: Joo Won ssi who likes Americano has the ability to lead and is a realist. You treat other’s problems like they are your own, you are the loyal type.

Also, you have many love experiences…

JW: Oh..yes..

MC: You are admitting to it? Are you the love expert?

JW: Fashionable people seems to mostly like Americano (clever Cutie)

MC: Seems like you have been in many relationships?

JW: Not many…I had 2.

MC: You are really lying…

JW laughs: lying…? MC: lying…

MC: What is the reason?

JW: My personality is exceptionally dull. When I was young, I had many thoughts of expressing myself. But on the contrary, after I have grown up, I couldn’t.

MC: Now, is there anyone new?

JW: Now there isn’t

MC: You really know how to dodge.

JW: But I don’t like reckless love…I like the relationship to last for a long time.

So, I will observe if this person is really suitable for me.

They show clip of Joo Won crying on “Win Win”

Captions on the screen:

Confession of a painful breakup, tears flowed from Joo Won.

Unable to protect his love, a man who has painful memories.

Cut to present interview-caption: In midst of filming, suddenly tears brimmed in Joo Won’s eyes…

A man who becomes small(weak) in face of love.

JW: Something got into my eyes.

MC: Eyes…Let me help and blow.

MC blows into Joo Won’s eyes. Resumes interview..

MC: Because the drama left you with a lot of feelings, it seems like it is not easy to let go.

JW: This production, Bridal Mask, there is really a heavy burden. Why? Because the production costs over 10 Billion Won. I really gave my utmost best and at the end, I was very exhausted. I also didn’t have much time to sleep. I only slept when I was filming 1N2D.

MC: Ah..it should be difficult filming 1N2D…

JW: But that’s when I had time to sleep.

Cut to 1N2D clip of Joo Won sleeping on Kim Seung Woo’s chest. Caption: So that’ why you were like this?

JW: In the end because I over concentrated, I started to become fatigued.

MC: All your works have been very successful. From Baker King to Ojakgyo Brothers to Bridal Mask.

Which one do you like most?

JW: It’s very hard to choose ah….towards Baker King and Ojakgyo Brothers, I was very unwilling to let go..

MC: Ah…I know….you are saying you like Bridal Mask most.

Caption: Sorry, Baker King and Ojakgyo Brothers!

MC: Recently, you must have made a lot of money.

JW: Ehn..recently my income increased quite a lot. (laughs) But I didn’t spend it, I handed it all to my parents to manage.

MC: All?

JW: Yes…

MC: I really wish I had a son like this

JW: Every month, I take pocket money of 700,000 Won from my parents. I need more money when we gather for 1N2D meals. Every time after we finished filming, we’ll gather together for a meal. Because I am the maknae, hyungs will always say “Let’s order cold noodles”

MC: I seem to be a spendthrift. Joo Won only spends 700,000 Won. What am I, to spend money so recklessly?

MC: Now, watching this show on TV, all those celebrities who spend more than 700,000 Won, please reflect on yourself.

MC: What else will you give your parents?

JW: I won’t buy it myself. Recently, my mom said our home needs a kimchi fridge. So I said: “Oh? We do? Then just buy it.” I’ll let my mom use it(money) whenever she needs it.

MC pretends to be the JW’s mom: Joo Won ah..this fur coat I will keep well.

JW laughs: If mom needs it…

MC: Filial son ah…filial son

MC: But I heard that previously before you became famous, you borrowed money from your fans? And also taxi fare…5000 Won.

JW: Yes, it happened before. During my musical theatre days, my income over 8 months was only 2 million Won. After you take away public bus fare and meals, I had hardly any leftover. Sometimes when I go for group gatherings and meals, there are no more public bus running and I could not return home. So there were fans who gave me money for food and also for taxi fare.

MC pretends to be a fan: “Oppa, I am your fan..” then he acts out putting the cash into Joo Won’s pocket.

JW: So I will think “Should I take it?”

MC: Then did you return it?

JW: I don’t quite remember.

MC laughs and pushes his shoulder in a playful manner.

JW faces the camera: To those who help me when I was young. I am really very thankful to all of you. I will use this strength and work harder. One of these days, I will reciprocate to you all.”

MC: Now, it’s getting a bit cold? Looks like we have to move, you are a flower boy(handsome) actor after all.

JW laughs...both stand up and Joo Won takes another sip from his coffee mug: “Do I bring it along?”

MC: Aahh…It’s really nice to be indoors.

MC: Joo Won-ssi also wears socks ah. Very cute socks. Joo Won laughs and wriggle his feet.

MC: Also, there is something we must definitely ask-1N2D. In the beginning, it must be very difficult?

JW: It was always so. It’s my first time appearing in a variety show, it was difficult.

In winter last year, they added new people to the cast of 1N2D 2nd season. Although in the beginning, it was embarrassing, Joo Won gradually displayed the raw ability of the maknae. With fiery passion on the inside, Joo Won is the most outstanding man in current time.

MC: Recently Uhm Tae Woon announced news of his marriage, did you know about it?

JW: Ehn..I knew about it

MC: How do you feel?

JW: Especially good. I wish him well that he now has a family. And hyung seems to be exceptionally happy so it’s very good. On the other hand, I also think :“Hyung is also getting married ah” I am a little reluctant but still very happy.

MC: If you are in a relationship, will you make it known or keep it a secret?

JW: I will not announce it.

MC: So now, whether you are in a relationship or not, we won’t know, right?

JW: Now, there could be a possibility (Cutie! Are you teasing?!?!)

MC: OOhhhh! Caption : So Cool!

JW: I will not publicize it…

MC: Then, no one will know?

JW: I won’t let any one know.

MC: Why not publicize it?

JW: I feel that it will not very convenient…also if my loved one is an actress, I don’t think I can watch her kiss other people.

MC: Ah..during filming

JW: Ehnn…during acting , I don’t think I can watch.

MC: You won’t feel good, your girlfriend kissing another person.

MC: But during Baker King, did you especially like Eugene? (did you have to pick her? No that I think any thing is going on but it will be more interesting with either one of the other 2)

JW: I was total fan, didn’t we have photos then? I would buy noona’s photo and stick it on my school desk. I was crazy about her.

MC: There was a kiss scene,right?

JW: It was the type where the girl was unwilling and I got slapped.

MC: If you have another chance with Eugene…

JW: I really wished

MC: Kiss scene?

JW: Huh? (is the MC mad? She is married, isn’t she?)

MC: Now, I am reading out Joo Won’s ideal type: A girl who treats her elders well, Her personality and appearance are in line. A beautiful back. A girl with a tummy!?(laughs). What do you mean by the personality and the outward appearance are in line?

JW: It seems hard to put it across accurately. It’s like when you see her face, you will think what kind of person she is. Aren’t there girls whose face and personality don’t match? (don’t worry we understand you perfectly)

MC: Those girls who are the reverse…

JW: Ehn…I don’t like. I like an ordinary girl.

MC: Also a beautiful back, a girl with a tummy? that’s really funny

JW: When acting in musicals, don’t the girls have to wear gowns?(sorry translation is vague here). When girl has a beautiful back, it looks really wonderful. Very special.

MC laughs.

MC: Today I did not come empty handed to meet Joo Won

JW: Is there something else besides coffee?

MC: There is…

JW: I am worried..Because of 1N2D, I often get suspicious.

MC: We felt pained when we watched 1N2D…

A female staff runs out to give Joo Won the pink pillow. (I feel her excitement seeing how she runs on tiptoe towards him).

Chinese subtitles ends here.

Interview ends with this:

MC: What type of actor do you wish to become?

JW: An actor who is full of compassion (In Chinese and I guess in Korean too, this word literally translates to an actor who is full of human smell. That’s why the MC is smelling him)
Not a celebrity or a star, full of compassion and love for his fellow men. Also in everyday life. At the end of it, still possessing the compassionate touch. Rather than being a good actor, I wish more to be a hardworking actor.

Joo Won’s message to viewers:

eNews’s viewers

I am resting after Bridal Mask was completed.

Next week, I will begin filming the Secret Battle of Man & Woman (7th Level Civil Servant) drama.

Please look forward to it

I will bring a new look and beautiful acting skills to meet everyone again.

Thank you~~please be happy.

Chinese subtitles and translation: minidadalove from Joo Won Bar on Baidu

English translation: mrdimples@soompi

Source: 글루미
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
7 hours ago, Calli said:
MC: Why are we here at Cheorwon?

JW: When I have rest time, I often come here.

MC: Oh, really?

JW: Ehn, the scenery here is very good

MC: I heard this hotel is owned by the President? (of Sim Entertainment?)

JW: So that’s why I come here even more often, haha

By the way, is it just me, or does JW seem to have some sort of special connection with Cheorwon? First of all, there's this whole point (the interview is filmed at Morning Calm Village, which is - or at least was - a resort that was run by his agency and that also appears several times in Life Log), but if I recall correctly, the White Skulls are also based in that area, since it's actually really close to the DMZ.

• Like 3
8 hours ago, kittyna said:

By the way, is it just me, or does JW seem to have some sort of special connection with Cheorwon? First of all, there's this whole point (the interview is filmed at Morning Calm Village, which is - or at least was - a resort that was run by his agency and that also appears several times in Life Log), but if I recall correctly, the White Skulls are also based in that area, since it's actually really close to the DMZ.

I remember reading somewhere that both Joo Won and Uhm Taewoong were endorsing Morning Calm Village for a while. Joo Won also held some special fan meeting events there like the Cantata camping with fans event back in October 2012. 

In the 30 questions & 30 answers interview he gave after Gaksital there was this Q&A: 

11. If you were to date the girl you’d like, where would you go?

Cheorwon, Gangwon-do. I will like to go to place I endorsed – Morning Calm Village.

Also, Joo Won posted on his insta today :issohappy:

spacer.png

I'm just so happy seeing him~ 

I wonder what he's been up to these days. Is he about to start filming Carter? Has he picked his next drama yet? 

Kwak Siyang replied to his post telling him "I think you've lost more weight" and Joo Won replied with "보고품:love:

Neither papago nor google were of any help translating his reply^^ Must be some sort of word melt? If anyone has any clue what it might mean please share. 

Edit:

Joo Won's IG post also made it to two Naver articles, both mention his sharp jawline.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/009/0004782242

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/112/0003423966

ps: I just watched ep 40 (417) of 1N2D and I can't help but miss his cute cheeks a little 

:tears:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Blob 1
5 hours ago, Calli said:

Kwak Siyang replied to his post telling him "I think you've lost more weight" and Joo Won replied with "보고품:love:

I'm not sure, but it might be a play on "bogopa" (보고파), which is a cute/aegyo way of saying "I miss you". Changing the ending of a word so that it ends up on "m" (ㅁ), so maybe JW's doing, like, double the aegyo? Maybe? That's my closest guess, because actually just doing a Google search on 보고품 wound up with "report" (i.e. this is a report about...), and that doesn't really work with the context.

5 hours ago, Calli said:

Joo Won's IG post also made it to two Naver articles, both mention his sharp jawline.

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/009/0004782242

https://n.news.naver.com/entertain/article/112/0003423966

ps: I just watched ep 40 (417) of 1N2D and I can't help but miss his cute cheeks a little 

The thing about JW's face shape, though, is that he somehow miraculously manages to have both the sharp jawline and cute chubby cheeks at the same time. Mind you, his cheeks are proportionately less chubby than before, since he is in his 30s now, and that's a part of aging, but you can still see them in pictures taken from the front or when he's smiling.

With JW, it all comes down to the camera angle ;) - that sometimes does lead fans on an interesting loop, though. I've seen it play out a few times where people compare different pictures of JW from different times and they wonder whether he had cosmetic surgery done recently...and then we see another newer shot that's back to the old face and it's like, "Nope" :P 

• Like 4
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

I'm not sure, but it might be a play on "bogopa" (보고파), which is a cute/aegyo way of saying "I miss you". Changing the ending of a word so that it ends up on "m" (ㅁ), so maybe JW's doing, like, double the aegyo? Maybe? That's my closest guess, because actually just doing a Google search on 보고품 wound up with "report" (i.e. this is a report about...), and that doesn't really work with the context.

Oh, could be! I only know "보고싶어요" for I miss you/I long to see you (so with the 싶 in there) and then I know "I'm hungry" = 배고파요  but with aegyo and all the combining of words they do I'm always lost when it comes to Korean colloquialisms. 

I remember in Win Win (2012) Joo Won's hyungs remarked on the cutesy language he was using in their 1N2D kakao talk group - it's really sweet and weirdly reassuring to think he still does^^

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

The thing about JW's face shape, though, is that he somehow miraculously manages to have both the sharp jawline and cute chubby cheeks at the same time. Mind you, his cheeks are proportionately less chubby than before, since he is in his 30s now, and that's a part of aging, but you can still see them in pictures taken from the front or when he's smiling.

With JW, it all comes down to the camera angle ;) - that sometimes does lead fans on an interesting loop, though. I've seen it play out a few times where people compare different pictures of JW from different times and they wonder whether he had cosmetic surgery done recently...and then we see another newer shot that's back to the old face and it's like, "Nope" :P 

That's so true. Both the fact that he used to easily pull of a sharp jawline AND cute chubby cheeks ( case in point: Joo Won at the 2012 KBS Entertainment Awards)

spacer.png

and that angle plays such a role in how he looks. I've never thought even once that he's had cosmetic surgery... but I think the fact that even his face can look so versatile (depending on angle and expression) is why I found him so fascinating to look at from the get-go. 

I didn't consider that ageing might play a role in his cute cheeks getting less fluffy/chubby... based on what I know of Korean beauty standards most people will welcome that part of ageing then. I wonder how Joo Won feels about that. The sharper the jawline, the happier most Korean celebrities are. And in that 30 Q&A interview I referenced in my previous post he was asked this: 

"8.If you were to go for cosmetic surgery, which part would you correct?

Cheekbones (laughs)"

I personally wouldn't change a single thing about him, not back then and not now~(even if I do miss his fluffy cheeks sometimes)

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Calli said:

I remember in Win Win (2012) Joo Won's hyungs remarked on the cutesy language he was using in their 1N2D kakao talk group - it's really sweet and weirdly reassuring to think he still does^^

lol - I remember that: they were going like, "He texts like a girl!" :loolz: (Not a bad thing, in my opinion)

14 hours ago, Calli said:

I didn't consider that ageing might play a role in his cute cheeks getting less fluffy/chubby... based on what I know of Korean beauty standards most people will welcome that part of ageing then. I wonder how Joo Won feels about that. The sharper the jawline, the happier most Korean celebrities are.

It's just something I've observed: a lot of Hallyu actors suddenly start looking a lot less baby-faced and their features end up sharper and their faces more angular when they hit their late 20s or early 30s. For JW, that shift was already starting to become noticeable when he enlisted, but it was really apparent once we saw him in Alice.

K-drama characters with superpowers - including Park Jin Gyeom

More awesome JW fanart - make sure to click through to see the cute chibi cartoon that comes after the more realistic sketch ;) 

• Like 4
On 4/21/2021 at 4:59 AM, kittyna said:

It's just something I've observed: a lot of Hallyu actors suddenly start looking a lot less baby-faced and their features end up sharper and their faces more angular when they hit their late 20s or early 30s. For JW, that shift was already starting to become noticeable when he enlisted, but it was really apparent once we saw him in Alice.

I have a big gap of knowledge in all things Joo Won between the years 2016-2019 at the moment but from the few pics and clips I've seen from that period it seemed to me too that "that shift" you mention @kittynastarted manifesting around 2016/17... I'm excited to learn more about those years, though at the moment I'm still stuck in early 2013^^ And since it's Thursday I thought I'd do a little throwback~

I watched episode 43 of S2 of 1N2D yesterday and I had to laugh so hard I almost choked on my water^^ (for real)

That zombie game they played in this episode is the most hilarious and most insane one I've ever seen :lol: Poor Joo Won actually walked away with at least one bite mark.

It was also the episode where they recorded that hilarious skit that was shown during the 2012 KBS Entertainment Awards where Joo Won also won the Best Newcomer Award:yay:

The skit starts at 49'58''. Joo Won's dead pan expressions while he was delivering his lines were so perfect, I watched the skit with my sister and she laughed so hard even without understanding what he was saying at first^^

(here is softy's translation of the skit in case someone hasn't seen it yet or wants to rewatch:

"SW starts off by saying we are the guys that have one thing every audience member doesnt like so living with this misunderstanding we want to tell every audience member right here and now – please dont misunderstand.  each 1n2d member stepped up to say something. JW says cuz of his nickname lots of people think he is ignorant. SW: they could do that. JW: to be honest I am really smart – but cuz of variety, I am pretending not to know. JM asks “what is 4×8” and JW says “14.  next is “5 x (times).”  TW steps up and says I am dog feet. on 1n2d I cant do games well, everyone keeps saying I am dog feet cuz I cant do sports of hackysack well, but look carefully. he takes his socks off and shows his feet and says I am human feet. the guys look and say he really does have human feet. SG steps up and says as you all know, I am a short guy. listen carefully to my words. who is saying a short guy doesnt have charm? if a short guy doesnt have charm or if a tall guy doesnt have charm – I will show you right here. JW and SK go over so SG can put his arms around them as they carry him off. TH says you are cool. SW: you have charm. next TH steps up and I have no idea what he is talking about – something about him being childish but I dont get the joke. next SK steps up and admits “yes I eat a lot” in a quiet voice. LOL. SK: to be funny I ate a lot and gained weight. he says how something doesnt fit now and he is on a diet. next year I will have a chiseled jaw and comeback as a ballad singer. dont misunderstand. he eats something as he goes back to his spot. SW says that really looks delicious. JM steps up and says I am a singer too (cuz people forget that about him I think) SK hugs him.  it makes CTH laugh like crazy. SW steps up to say something. SW: I wanted to but JM says dont so SW keeps walking. JW and SG do the ending by SG asking him what “5x 6 is” and JW replies with a straight face “32. next is 6 x.” they all laugh.")

The more 1N2D episodes I watch the more I'm thinking it must have been a really difficult decision for Joo Won to leave in October 2013... it seems to me he and his 6 hyungs formed a really strong bond during their time together. Despite the difficulties, those 1 1/2 years Joo Won was on 1N2D must be a really precious memory for him. I wonder if he's still in touch with any of them...

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 2

Well, now, here's a throwback: a short video clip from JW's time in Spring Awakening, looking very much like the teenager his character (Melchior) was supposed to be. (For those who don't know: Spring Awakening is about a bunch of students in 19th century Germany and their first forays into both romantic and sexual relationships.)

15 hours ago, Calli said:

I have a big gap of knowledge in all things Joo Won between the years 2016-2019 at the moment but from the few pics and clips I've seen from that period it seemed to me too that "that shift" you mention @kittynastarted manifesting around 2016/17.

You're right: it does start getting really noticeable in 2016 :) I'll just leave the eye candy for you to figure out on your own.

15 hours ago, Calli said:

The more 1N2D episodes I watch the more I'm thinking it must have been a really difficult decision for Joo Won to leave in October 2013... it seems to me he and his 6 hyungs formed a really strong bond during their time together. Despite the difficulties, those 1 1/2 years Joo Won was on 1N2D must be a really precious memory for him. I wonder if he's still in touch with any of them...

Maybe. I do think JW's changed his predominant social circle a few times, but I also hope he's still in touch with the hyungs. Or at least still on good terms with them: we can definitely say that for Lee Su Geun and Yu Hae Jin (who joins the 1N2D cast later in the season), at least. :) 

Even over the course of the season itself, the dynamic does shift (or at least the editing makes it look like it does) as JW ends up growing less attached to Uhm Tae Woong (especially after his wedding) and starts spending more time with some of the other hyungs instead.

• Like 2

Thanks so much for all the goodies you shared @kittyna, loved watching all three of them :wub:

I had seen some clips of Joo Won during his Spring Awakening time, but I don't know what superstarK is. Was that a tv program? I was watching a clip from Joo Won performing "Those Magic Changes" in 2008 at the 14th Korean Musical Awards which were broadcast on KBS and it hit me that Joo Won had already been on TV (several times probably?) before his drama debut in 2010. 

The transition from boy to man (if you will) in terms of Joo Won's lovely face were definitely starting to be noticeable in those Mind Bridge photoshoot behinds you shared. I also remember watching a fancam of one of his Mountia fansigns from the end of 2016 where he wears his hair very similarly to how he did a lot during 2012/13 and I couldn't help but notice a difference. The lovely cheeks are still there, they just seem less... fluffy^^ He just looks more mature somehow. Less baby boy, more manly man. If that makes sense~

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

I do think JW's changed his predominant social circle a few times, but I also hope he's still in touch with the hyungs. Or at least still on good terms with them: we can definitely say that for Lee Su Geun and Yu Hae Jin (who joins the 1N2D cast later in the season), at least. :) 

Even over the course of the season itself, the dynamic does shift (or at least the editing makes it look like it does) as JW ends up growing less attached to Uhm Tae Woong (especially after his wedding) and starts spending more time with some of the other hyungs instead.

I still have about 40 episodes of 1N2D to go until Joo Won's exit and tbh I'm always looking for moments between Joo Won and his Taewoong hyung but already for quite a while before his wedding there have been very few of those. But that might have been because of editing because there's no doubt those two were close (and possibly still are). Joo Won knew of his hyung's wedding before he announced it on 1N2D and Uhm Taewoong also did a cameo on 7th Grade Civil Servant out of "loyalty to Joo Won".

I also felt that besides with Lee Su Geun, Joo Won got really close and comfortable with Kim Seung Woo. Joo Won often used him as a pillow when he was tired^^ 

It was really nice though to see Joo Won interact with Lee Su Geun on Knowing Bros. I thought there was a lot of love there from the way Lee Su Geun was talking about Joo Won and sharing memories of the old 1N2D days and calling him "Joo Wonie". Made me feel like he was still their sweet maknae in his hyung's eyes :fullofhearts:

• Like 2
12 hours ago, Calli said:

I was watching a clip from Joo Won performing "Those Magic Changes" in 2008 at the 14th Korean Musical Awards which were broadcast on KBS and it hit me that Joo Won had already been on TV (several times probably?) before his drama debut in 2010. 

His TV debut (if you mean just in general and not in dramas) was in 2006, when he had a short stint on a kids' show called Frees. Like, we're talking so far back that it even predates his stage name: he still went by Jun Won then.

There are a couple of clips floating around on YouTube from that, but this one's my personal favourite since we get to see his dancing skills :glasses:

And, if you've ever seen the 2010 KBS Drama Awards show performance he did with his fellow King of Baking cast members...well, it looks like he picked up the drumming well before then ;) By the way, every time I watch this clip, I'm struck by just how quickly JW picks up on subtle cues from the instructor: whenever the instructor changes the rhythm, JW's already there and following along while the rest of the cast has to play catch up :P 

I still have about 40 episodes of 1N2D to go until Joo Won's exit and tbh I'm always looking for moments between Joo Won and his Taewoong hyung but already for quite a while before his wedding there have been very few of those. But that might have been because of editing because there's no doubt those two were close (and possibly still are). Joo Won knew of his hyung's wedding before he announced it on 1N2D and Uhm Taewoong also did a cameo on 7th Grade Civil Servant out of "loyalty to Joo Won".

I think there's reasonable argument to say that JW and Uhm Tae Woong were still close up until 2014 at least - since JW does talk about him in Life Log when he walks the dog around Morning Calm Village. After that, though...it's harder to judge, as I personally don't recall JW mentioning him since - but then again, my memory could just be fuzzy.

I also felt that besides with Lee Su Geun, Joo Won got really close and comfortable with Kim Seung Woo. Joo Won often used him as a pillow when he was tired^^ 

Lee Su Geun, Kim Seung Woo, and (in the second half of the season) Yu Hae Jin and Sung Si Kyung as well. lol - Basically, there wasn't really a hyung JW didn't like, or who didn't like him back :P 

It was really nice though to see Joo Won interact with Lee Su Geun on Knowing Bros. I thought there was a lot of love there from the way Lee Su Geun was talking about Joo Won and sharing memories of the old 1N2D days and calling him "Joo Wonie".

For me, it was the "Joo Won-ie" that was the big "Aww..." moment in that episode. As you said, that's something very special that developed between JW and his 1N2D hyungs, so I loved that little throwback, too :fullofhearts:

More amazing fanart - Honestly, I have huge admiration for this artist; I have no idea how she(?) does these pictures so quickly :approves:

• Like 2
13 hours ago, kittyna said:

His TV debut (if you mean just in general and not in dramas) was in 2006, when he had a short stint on a kids' show called Frees. Like, we're talking so far back that it even predates his stage name: he still went by Jun Won then.

There are a couple of clips floating around on YouTube from that, but this one's my personal favourite since we get to see his dancing skills :glasses:

Frees! Of course! That was a on TV as well. I read a little bit about Joo Won's time with Frees and that he didn't stay long because he wanted to pursue musicals instead (if I'm not mistaken). And I had stumbled on the first video you shared @kittynaa little while back and I remember how stunned I was at Joo Won's dancing skills~ Not because it's that surprising an athletic natural like him could have such moves, and I had heard him say on Win Win that he learned dancing from scratch in school, but because whenever I had seen him dance "freestyle" on 1N2D by that point he was so shy and cute and a lil awkward about it - when I saw him in that clip I went "woah! Joo Won can dance too?!?!" :lol: There's really no end to this man's talents... 

And, if you've ever seen the 2010 KBS Drama Awards show performance he did with his fellow King of Baking cast members...well, it looks like he picked up the drumming well before then ;) By the way, every time I watch this clip, I'm struck by just how quickly JW picks up on subtle cues from the instructor: whenever the instructor changes the rhythm, JW's already there and following along while the rest of the cast has to play catch up :P 

I haven't watched the 2010 KBS Drama Awards performance you mention @kittyna - there is so SO much I haven't watched yet and don't know about Joo Won yet. I don't know if I can ever properly catch up to be honest (he's done so much and worked so hard for so many years) but I've definitely noticed that he is a very, very quick study. He picks up things and skills so quickly, it's almost intimidating~ Especially when there's coordination involved he's such a quick learner. And with things that don't come that easily to him he just works hard until they do. I admire that so much about him. 

I think there's reasonable argument to say that JW and Uhm Tae Woong were still close up until 2014 at least - since JW does talk about him in Life Log when he walks the dog around Morning Calm Village. After that, though...it's harder to judge, as I personally don't recall JW mentioning him since - but then again, my memory could just be fuzzy.

I haven't encountered a mention of Uhm Taewoong by Joo Won post Life Log either but then I have such a humungous gap of knowledge to fill^^ I just kinda assumed that with them still being in the same agency they'd still be in touch in some form or other. But they lead such busy lives that it's probably hard to maintain a close relationship unless you run in the same social circle. 

(This is from the 1N2D episode they filmed right after Taewoong returned from his honeymoon)

spacer.png

No doubt Joo Won loved all his 1N2D hyungs and was loved by them :') I would love for them to have an onscreen reunion and see them interact again. 

By the way, does anyone know why Joo Won's English wikipedia page doesn't have a photograph of him anymore?

• Like 2
9 hours ago, Calli said:

By the way, does anyone know why Joo Won's English wikipedia page doesn't have a photograph of him anymore?

That would be up to whoever updates the Wikipedia page, wouldn't it?

Just came across this video today - if anyone wants a quick summary of JW's career to date:

9 hours ago, Calli said:

Not because it's that surprising an athletic natural like him could have such moves, and I had heard him say on Win Win that he learned dancing from scratch in school, but because whenever I had seen him dance "freestyle" on 1N2D by that point he was so shy and cute and a lil awkward about it - when I saw him in that clip I went "woah! Joo Won can dance too?!?!"

I do think he probably struggles with improvising dance moves on the spot, but if we're talking about learned choreography, he's definitely got it ;) 

9 hours ago, Calli said:

I've definitely noticed that he is a very, very quick study. He picks up things and skills so quickly, it's almost intimidating~ Especially when there's coordination involved he's such a quick learner. And with things that don't come that easily to him he just works hard until they do. I admire that so much about him. 

I also think, based on that clip from Frees and how he is on 1N2D, that JW might be a kinesthetic learner (i.e. he learns by doing something rather than by seeing or hearing about it). He's also got a really strong innate sense of rhythm, which served him well in Nae Il's Cantabile in particular.

9 hours ago, Calli said:

I haven't watched the 2010 KBS Drama Awards performance you mention

Well, then, I'm gonna have to fix that! By the way, I also love how both JW and Yoon Si Yoon start off in-character, but they're definitely just themselves by the end :) 

9 hours ago, Calli said:

I just kinda assumed that with them still being in the same agency they'd still be in touch in some form or other. But they lead such busy lives that it's probably hard to maintain a close relationship unless you run in the same social circle.

Uhm Tae Woong left the agency in 2015, but signed back on in 2018, so maybe they got back in touch then? Again, without anyone making any sort of public contact, there's no way of knowing for sure.

• Like 2