Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

Calli

On 4/12/2021 at 5:56 PM, kittyna said:

I will say in advance, though, that I thought this was pretty campy and cartoonish - sort of like those old retro horror films with the really massive monsters and whatnot than anything remotely like today's horror or sci-fi. But it definitely featured JW playing an extremely different character than his usual, so just go in with that in mind ;)

When I talk about Clocking Out it's mostly the characters and their chemistry. I just love how different that role Seo Ki Woong is and the look. So I kinda overlook the sloppy CGI it's also probably to that the drama ifor the fact that the drama is really too short to actually look at it in a critical angle.

And it reminds me this work did win an award in 2019.. A 2016 web drama getting an award from international function in 2019. I kind of found that this interesting. Joo Won was in military at that time. And it was January News while JW was discharged on one month later.

News caption was: Kim Sang-jung x Kim Kang-woo x Joo-won'part-time worker', won the first Asian Rainbow TV Awards

News Link: https://sports.chosun.com/news/news.htm?id=201901160100104990008099&ServiceDate=20190115

Some of Joo Won work related stories/news resurfaced when he was military.. Like clocking out getting award, Good Doctor having a remake and confirmed to have a second season. 

On 4/12/2021 at 5:56 PM, kittyna said:

Is he still with his parents? I know he was, up until Healing Camp, at least, but I don't know if he's since moved out. I mean, he does still imply that he hangs out with his mom a lot, but I'm not sure if it's because he still lives with her or if he just visits her a lot :P 

@flutterby06 - There's nothing for me to really add to your comments re: translating these videos, so I just want to say thanks for your hard work 

You're most welcome @kittyna.:transforms:

About if Joo Won is still living with his parents...He didn't really say it directly after Healing Camp but I assume he's living still with his parents based on few of his natural conversation-

1. In Radio Star he was asked if he was still close with his Hyung. He said :As my Brother got married, he doesn't leave with us. But sometimes I go to his place and have a date. When I take my parents to My Brothers place his wife and my parents always try to give us some time alone. they say " You guys have fun as you don't get to play often these days." ( I must say his sister in law is so sweet to play along with these two close brother.... ha ha)

2. In Ghost waiting room vlive when asked what he did in his birthday he said -'I went to home after musical rehearsal and ate festival food that my mother made.' Also that comment he made that he was watching Ghost with his mother at home and she got scared watching dark Jingyeom.

3. In Goodbye Alice vlive he said I did interpretation of Alice for my parents.

4. In Christmas vlive when he was asked how he was spending time now that Ghost off due to covid restrictions he said 'I am spending time by watching dramas and entertainment shows, giving time to my parents.'

So far there hasn't been any particular indication that he is living alone but there's more indication of him in regular contact with is family like he used to do. So that's the reason of my assumption.

20 hours ago, Calli said:

And @flutterby06, I forgot to quote that part of your post but I just wanted to let you know that I've watched and enjoyed that vlive twice already, so really thank you and everyone who helped you sub it. It's so much hard work translating and subbing and I'm always deeply grateful to fans who spend their valuable time and work hard on translations just for the sake of helping other fans understand their faves. Joo Won Cutie really did an incredible job providing Joo Won content in English all these years - it's such a shame so many of their subbed videos aren't available anymore :'(

And please don't worry at all about part 1 of Joo Won's Ghost interview. It must be a tough one to translate... and thanks so much for your offer <3 I appreciate it and all your translations - which I always understand perfectly - so much!! 

You're Welcome. :issohappy:

And hope someday JW cutie international will magically revive.. Ha ha..

@Calli I think you were Inquiring about his official fan club. JW first official fanclub used to be called 'Act-1, Scene 1" In Korean its probably something like (Il Mag, Il Jang). he used to mention this fanclub consisting of his fans before tv debut and after tv debut. But I think some time around 2013 it got cancelled. Something unpleasant happened not exactly sure what. And JW took the official title from it. After that he never mentioned any particular fan cafe. Just thanked fans in general. Then another unofficial club formed it was called 'Il Mag I Jang'- Act 1, Scene 2. I heard JW talking about it in a radio show- Cultwo Show where he went to promote movie catch me with Kim Ah Joong. And a male fan from that fan club showed up with banner or something may be. So Joo Won was asked by the radio djs if he knows about this fan cafe. JW said he knows about it and also said there used to be another called ' Il Mag Il Jang'  and jokingly said so his fancafe nick name ended up being 'Makjang'.

To fill this void there's JW DC gallery. It's not a fan cafe but fan site. And JW acknowledged this one too but still not a official title. 

But he has actually two official(!) fan cafe though-

1. http://www.joowon508.com/ This one is the most official one, approved by his agency and probably opened by his agency too but I know almost nothing about it.

2. Japan fans official cafe

I don't know what happen in Japanse one but I think Joo Won 508 is not very active in the sense of interaction with fans. Joo Won/his team barely shares anything in those. Usually if a fan cafe is official the actor or his team would sometimes give the fan cafe some special update either about schedule or just short messages on occassions, anything. But I saw DC fans talking about it that nothing has been shared by JW/team in that site after 2015. Again I could be wrong because I am just making assumptions from limited information.

@kittyna mentioned few local and international fan group. I won't repeat those but you may look forward to JW supporters event. It always has something planned. As far I have seen by watching 1/2 year closely JW supporter is mostly are helped by fans from JW DC Gallery and int. fans mostly japan and thai fans. If international fans wants to send some thing to JW they usually take help from these sub group or they directly sent it to his agency. Joo Won has previously said in a vlive that he reads every fan fan letter he gets on hand. So if fans said it to his agency he will read it.

If you ask me I'd say JW DC Gallery is currently the most convenient place for most JW local fans, they're mostly earliest to share JW related info, some times old stories and content are discussed by the fans in this site. Overall a fun place. And accessible as in us as international fans can't comment but we can watch and read whatever is written. 

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/lists/?id=joowon

There's a fun story about Joo Won DC Gallery. DC is very strict about spreading false information so one day suddenly some one commented that he's Joo Won and a chaos happened. :sweat_smile: You can read it in here. 

https://joowoncutie.wordpress.com/news-and-features/dispatch-its-me-its-really-me-joo-won-hug-day-humiliation-case/

That cute post by Joo Won is still pinned in JW DC.

https://gall.dcinside.com/board/view/?id=joowon&no=237352&page=1

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
15 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

And it reminds me this work did win an award in 2019.. A 2016 web drama getting an award from international function in 2019. I kind of found that this interesting. Joo Won was in military at that time. And it was January News while JW was discharged on one month later.

Some of Joo Won work related stories/news resurfaced when he was military.. Like clocking out getting award, Good Doctor having a remake and confirmed to have a second season. 

I still haven't watched Clocking Out... I somehow got stuck watching Joo Won's "Room of Memory" special, reading his Theater+ interview (and using papago and google to understand a bit) and watching episode S02E28 of 1N2D and all that gave me so much food for thought that I needed to process first^^ I love his interviews so much - there is so much sincerity there that can be felt so easily.

And then I saw Jongmin share that picture of baby Joo Won while sleeping in a refrigerator cardbox bed and that was just the cutest lil gift too, even if it is LQ. He had a sunshine smile back then already~

spacer.png

It's really great that Clocking Out received an award while Joo Won was serving. I wonder if the plan for a drama is something that's still in the cards... not that Joo Won would be necessarily part of it if it was. 

That painfully reminds me that there's still no Joo Won drama news :'( I wonder what he's up to these days. 

@flutterby06thank you so so much for taking the time to write up and share all that information on Joo Won's official fanclubs. I feel like I got an important Joo Won history lesson for free~

I remember him mentioning his official fanclub name in one of the early episodes of 1N2D ('Act-1, Scene 1" ) and I wondered what had happened to that because in everything I had read I never saw it mentioned... must have been something unpleasant :(

I also encountered joowon508 but from what I could tell it's not something that is used an awful lot, by neither JW's agency or the fans. 

I am a member of daum fancafe for my favorite kpop group and it's quite lovely because both the members and the staff use it to update fans on their schedule and official happenings and just to keep in touch and communicate. It's not easy to level up and get access to the members' posts but once you do it's really a great way to keep updated on their activities. Obviously the kpop world is not the same as the world of actors (content and communication wise) but I thought maybe something similar might exist for Joo Won. Too bad it doesn't... but I'll def check out DC Gallery. And that story of Joo Won posting on there and fans not believing him I had actually read while browsing Joo Won Cutie's homepage^^ ahahaha, poor Joo Won. He did tell them they'd regret it if they didn't believe him...

It would be really nice if there was an official fanclub that both Korean and international fans could easily get updates from and maybe even communicate with Joo Won through. 

I was also wondering if Joo Won still lives with his parents... I kinda got the impression that he was as well, based on what you wrote too @flutterby06, or at the very least that he's living very close by. It's lovely that they're so close... in my parents' culture (Greek) it's not unusual at all for the kids to keep living with their parents until they're married (well into their thirties sometimes) or to keep living with them if they remain unmarried; whereas in German culture people look at you very funny if you're over the age of 20-25 and still live at home. I'm not sure how it works in SK. From what I'm seeing in dramas and from what I've read, there seem to be lots of single households, especially in the urban areas. 

Whatever living arrangement Joo Won has, I hope it's a place that truly feels like home. 

Can you guys tell me if there is something like a rough translation for Joo Won's Goodbye Alice and Christmas Vlives? Thanks so much~

Edited by Calli
  • Like 4

19 hours ago, Calli said:

I wonder how "prepared" the Moon household was for their baby boy becoming such a star... I can imagine that it might have felt quite surreal for a while there, especially around 2010 and onwards. I love it though that his hyung didn't view his donsaeng as a celebrity based on that episode of 1N2D - only shows that at home he is still treated the same as before. And I'm thinking Joo Won wouldn't want it any other way. This must help him a lot in staying grounded throughout the years and "unchanging" in the aspects of his personality that define him and matter to him the most. 

Yeah - "surreal" is probably the best way to put it. I did see in an interview once that JW said that his family felt like they had to be extra-careful for a while, as they didn't want anything they did to reflect poorly on him. But JW also mentioned (in the Fashion King episode of Happy Together) that his mom would sometimes try to find his merch or try to position items he had a CF for in a more prominent way in a store :P 

1. In Radio Star he was asked if he was still close with his Hyung. said :As my Brother got married, he doesn't leave with us. But sometimes I go to with us and have a date. When I take my parents to My Brothers place his wife and and parents always try to give us some time alone. the say " You guys have fun as you don't get to play often these days." ( I must say his sister in law is so sweet to play along with these two close brother.... ha ha)

lol - Now I just got this mental image of a younger JW as being that really protective little sibling who's all like, "You're not marrying my Hyung unless I say so :P". Of course, that's hardly accurate to his personality, but it was just a silly thought that occurred to me.

I think you were Inquiring about his official fan club. JW first official fanclub used to be called 'Act-1, Scene 1" In Korean its probably something like (Il Mag, Il Jang). he used to mention this fanclub consisting of his fans before tv debut and after tv debut. But I think some time around 2013 it got cancelled. Something unpleasant happened not exactly sure what. And JW took the official title from it. After that he never mentioned any particular fan cafe. Just thanked fans in general. 

I just want to point out that I've heard vaguely about this incident as well, and it apparently involved some sort of drama (either between fans within the group or between group members and fans of another celebrity - it's all fuzzy now). But the major consistent point here is that JW dismantled it himself and that his comments at the time were along the lines of wanting all of his fans to get along.

So, actually, @Calli, it's crossed my mind that the relative quietness of JW's fandom - even his Korean fans - stems from what happened to Act 1, Scene 1. One of the reasons why JW's not as popular on, say, general Hallyu fan sites compared to other Hallyu stars is that his fans don't generally promote him in a way that would be picked up by computer algorithms. So, like, they don't really take part in polls, gush about him on message boards, etc. And if they do end up talking smack about another artist (particularly his co-stars), he does make his displeasure known.

Long story short: drama between netizens sells, but JW doesn't want his fans to engage in that sort of drama, which leads to a more quiet and less detectable fandom overall ;) 

I don't know what happen in Japanse one but I think Joo Won 508 is not very active in the sense of interaction with fans. Joo Won/his team barely shares anything in those. Usually if a fan cafe is official the actor or his team would sometimes give the fan cafe some special update either about schedule or just short messages on occassions, anything. But I saw DC fans talking about it that nothing has been shared by JW/team in that site after 2015. Again I could be wrong because I am just making assumptions from limited information.

Nowadays, it seems that his agency mostly uses a general Naver site or Instagram to announce any updates. So, if there is something, you'll see a specific Naver post from his agency about that one update, which they then share on Instagram for fans.

19 hours ago, Calli said:

Whenever I see him showcase this 100% commitment and determination, I'm in awe of him all over again... I'm not saying that it is a contradiction for someone naturally quiet and not seeking others' attention to possess this kind of passion, determination and commitment - it's just that I've never met anyone remotely like this in real life and I find Joo Won endlessly fascinating.

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not contradictory (since, actually, many introverts have this tendency), but that it tends to catch people by surprise. Like, the first surprise from his 1N2D days was that someone who played Gu Ma Jun and Lee Kang To was such a cinnamon roll in real life - and then the second surprise was that said cinnamon roll also had some iron grit to him underneath the surface ;) 

Okay, this is pretty funny: JW's drama characters matched with emojis.

5 minutes ago, Calli said:

I was also wondering if Joo Won still lives with his parents... I kinda got the impression that he was as well, based on what you wrote too @flutterby06, or at the very least that he's living very close by. It's lovely that they're so close... in my parents' culture (Greek) it's not unusual at all for the kids to keep living with their parents until they're married (well into their thirties sometimes) or to keep living with them if they remain unmarried; whereas in German culture people look at you very funny if you're over the age of 20-25 and still live at home. I'm not sure how it works in SK. From what I'm seeing in dramas and from what I've read there seem to be lots of single households, especially in the urban areas. 

To the best of my knowledge, both are possible. Like, not too long ago, it was not unusual in Korea for adult children to live with their parents until they got married, but now, more and more young people move out on their own for work/study purposes (e.g. kids moving from other towns and cities into Seoul). One thing you still don't see often, though, is cohabiting couples: there are some, but it's still generally frowned upon by the older generation.

• Like 4

Posted (edited)
23 hours ago, kittyna said:

Yeah - "surreal" is probably the best way to put it. I did see in an interview once that JW said that his family felt like they had to be extra-careful for a while, as they didn't want anything they did to reflect poorly on him. But JW also mentioned (in the Fashion King episode of Happy Together) that his mom would sometimes try to find his merch or try to position items he had a CF for in a more prominent way in a store :P 

Oh, yes~ I remember in the Good Doctor special of Happy Together they were all sharing mom stories and I think Joo Won said that his mom asked at one place where they were selling socks with celebrities' faces on them why Joo Won's weren't there? Hahaha^^ So cute. His mom sounded like the most low maintenance though of all the moms mentioned, and I thought like the sweetest, most selfless too. 

23 hours ago, kittyna said:

Yeah, I know what you mean. It's not contradictory (since, actually, many introverts have this tendency), but that it tends to catch people by surprise. Like, the first surprise from his 1N2D days was that someone who played Gu Ma Jun and Lee Kang To was such a cinnamon roll in real life - and then the second surprise was that said cinnamon roll also had some iron grit to him underneath the surface ;) 

That's exactly it~ And to me personally it's just so interesting and a real joy to watch him show all those different sides he has to himself on 1N2D. I know that when he was asked on "Room of Memory" recently if he was planning to return to variety he said he wouldn't if it were under the same circumstances (I guess he meant the same format) as 1N2D but I'm still really glad he took on that challenge back then (despite being so insanely busy :'( ) and that he gave us a chance to get to know him a little better through it - not that what the directors/producers/editors choose to show through these programs is a 100% truthful and comprehensive representation of who the members are, but I still think that one can get a good idea at least of who someone is in certain situations. Like the grit and determination Joo Won showed on the show often times, how sweet and cuddly he was towards his hyungs, how hard working he was towards every task and every game, that he wanted to win at games but without being a sore loser, etc.

I still haven't gotten around to watching Clocking Out :lol: 

Somehow watching 1N2D always leads me to new discoveries. Like now I somehow stumbled upon Joo Won's two appearances on JTBC's Witch Hunt and I even found his first appearance (episode 19) with English subtitles. But sadly I couldn't find episode 64 (where he promoted Fashion King) with English subs. Only the raw version

Does anyone happen to know if it was ever subbed? 

Edited by Calli
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Calli said:

Like now I somehow stumbled upon Joo Won's two appearances on JTBC's Witch Hunt and I even found his first appearance (episode 19) with English subtitles. But sadly I couldn't find episode 64 (where he promoted Fashion King) with English subs. Only the raw version

Does anyone happen to know if it was ever subbed? 

No, I don't think that one was ever subbed - episodes of Witch Hunt are hard to come by to begin with (maybe because it's technically a 19+ talk show, albeit tame by Western standards), and most of the ones you'll find will, as usual, be ones guesting K-pop idols.

However, we are lucky that that one specific episode has the next best thing: a full recap/synopsis by the Dramabeans team. That's the only thing I've found for this so far, but it gives us a pretty good look at what JW's thoughts were on relationships and sexuality at that point in time (i.e. 2014). Of course, we won't know if his views have changed since, especially now that he's had a serious relationship under his belt, but it's still an interesting snapshot into his past.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
On 10/26/2015 at 3:53 AM, mrdimples said:

Have you checked our Softy's blog Cadence? try https://soulsrebel.wordpress.com/2012/11/13/win-win-joowon/

she 'subbed' the entire show :D 

wait...how about these

this seems to be the 1st half

http://kshowonline.com/kshow/1006-[engsub]-win-win-ep.137

and then these from 2nd half

part 3

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k1MA1CEZuIApVv3ARnA

part 4

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/k5ezHGr9fXf9HK3ARLP

and this is unsubbed but full length

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xv3nu8_joo-won-win-win_shortfilms

I just wanted to quote this post in case anyone else is also desperately looking for the subbed Win Win episode Joo Won appeared in in 2012. The two dailymotion links labeled part 3 and part 4 (actually part 2 and 4) lead to private dailymotion videos that are still up. It's not the whole episode but better than nothing~ 

and thanks so much @kittynafor the link to the dramabeans summary of the episode. I really enjoy their 1N2D recaps and shortly after I wrote my post I stumbled onto their Witch Hunt recap of that specific episode too^^ it's just a rough translation but still helpful. Even if it was a long time ago and Joo Won has probably gained lots of experience since, it's still interesting to get a little insight into his mindset from back then. 

Edited by Calli
  • Like 3

Joo Won is featured in this soompi article today "11 K-Drama Actors Who Are Also In Musical Theater

Too bad the article doesn't mention how he was discovered by his sunbae during his 1st year at Sungkyunkwan while he was cleaning the theater with a rag and singing to himself~

I love it though that they picked his photograph (along with JCW & KHN's) to be in the headline photo :wub:

spacer.png

• Like 2
  • Blob 2

22 hours ago, Calli said:

Too bad the article doesn't mention how he was discovered by his sunbae during his 1st year at Sungkyunkwan while he was cleaning the theater with a rag and singing to himself~

JW really does seem to have a track record for these lucky breaks, doesn't he? lol - He was "discovered" in university by a sunbae who encouraged him to audition for Altar Boyz, which wound up casting him as the lead. And then he was "discovered" again by his current agency while he was playing the lead in Spring Awakening :P 

By the way, one thing the article (or, at least, comments to it) brings up is something I personally think as well: you can expect good things actors who can do both stage and screen ;) 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

JW really does seem to have a track record for these lucky breaks, doesn't he? lol - He was "discovered" in university by a sunbae who encouraged him to audition for Altar Boyz, which wound up casting him as the lead. And then he was "discovered" again by his current agency while he was playing the lead in Spring Awakening :P 

He was definitely cleaning at the right place at the right time^^ Though given that he was cleaning there every day (I remember him saying in an interview that he spent 365 days a year at school, he even went during vacation) so I think it's less about luck in his case and more about the fact that he was so very hardworking and skilled of course. If his sunbae hadn't overheard him singing that particular day, I wanna believe he would have on one of the many others Joo Won was cleaning and probably singing to himself~ 

Though the fact that at the time he didn't have any plans and big ambitions yet and was put on such a path by the help of others so very early on could be called "luck". 

I also remember him saying that it was several agencies who came to meet him during his successful Spring Awakening run. He picked the one he felt was the most suitable for him. 

So again, imo, not really luck but his presence on that stage and his talent that made the media and agencies pay attention to him and want to have him sign with them~ 

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

By the way, one thing the article (or, at least, comments to it) brings up is something I personally think as well: you can expect good things actors who can do both stage and screen ;) 

Agree so much. There are some truly excellent actors on that list and I don't think that's a coincidence. Being able to perform and shine on stage takes a lot of skill, talent, charisma, stamina and a whole lot of hard work and that translates very well on the small and big screen. There are many actors who come from theater who do exceptionally well in movies and dramas (Morgan Freeman, Hugh Jackman, Meryl Streep, the Fiennes brothers, etc), while it is less common/"easy" the other way around... 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, partyon said:

Can't believe that @sadthe1st bailed on us and voted for "Doesn't matter".

oops! hahahaha!! i only saw the "in a shirt and without one".. i din notice u specifically meant abs..

Child Smile GIF

joo won package default came with abs.. unlike a certain oppa.. where abs are difficult to be spotted with or without shirt.. *cough cough*

Sick Jim Carrey GIF

• LOL 5

5 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

oops! hahahaha!! i only saw the "in a shirt and without one".. i din notice u specifically meant abs..

joo won package default came with abs.. unlike a certain oppa.. where abs are difficult to be spotted with or without shirt.. *cough cough*

LOL :D  Abs are mentioned in the question, though. :D

Has Joo Won always had abs though? I didn't really notice them in this extent until Alice. He really has been keeping himself fit since his military service. To my and surely many other fans' delight. :fullofhearts:

• Like 2
  • Love 1
  • Thirsty 1
  • Where's My Oppa? 1

3 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

i'm assuming he already had some in Good Doctor? lol time to hunt for those scenes??

No, can't really recall him having abs in Good Doctor. He was really cute in Good Doctor though :glee:

7038df360dc1b5d9e75577b71c2c07c7--boys-w

• Like 3
  • Thirsty 2
  • Blob 1

28 minutes ago, sadthe1st said:

it was forming in progress.. u can see the lines.. slowly getting well defined lol

He definitely has the body type that would easily develop muscle mass. He's a bit bulkier than most Korean actor oppas - a trait that I REALLY like in him. He looks like a European oppa :love:

201348978_1280.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thirsty 2
  • Blob 2

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, partyon said:

No, can't really recall him having abs in Good Doctor. He was really cute in Good Doctor though :glee:

He really was @partyon :wub:

So sorry to butt into your abbs convo like that (:lol:) but I wondered myself not too long ago when Joo Won started working out with weights and his body started transforming (because based on his interviews until around 2013 he never mentioned training with weights, rather that he didn't have time to exercise during filming and that he would go swimming, running, etc when he had time off, no muscle training).

So I think it must have been some time after he finished Good Doctor, because I remember in one of his Life Log episodes (episode 3) we see him go train at a fitness club (leaderswithus_hulk) with a personal trainer for what looks like the first time. At the time he also mentioned that more than anything he wanted to start training for health reasons (maintaining weight, stamina). So it must have been around the end of 2013, early 2014 he started training like that. If you go to leaderswithus_hulk's instagram account you can literally trace his progress from the days of Yongpal and onwards~

This pic is from before he started working on Yongpal (according to papago's translation of the caption)

spacer.png

And this is how he looked in December 2019. He worked really hard... and according to what he said in his Ghost waiting room vlive from last year, training has helped him a lot with his stamina and staying healthy~

Edited by Calli
  • Like 1
  • Insightful 1
  • Thirsty 2
  • Blob 2