Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Congratulations to JW and the rest of the Ghost team for a successful run! :hooray:

I have to say, seeing this whole thing play out in the midst of the pandemic has been kind of surreal. Usually, I think I just take it for granted that any project JW starts will end successfully, but this time...there was no such guarantee. I knew that at any moment, a sharp rise in case numbers (or an outbreak connected to the show itself) could completely derail the whole thing, no matter how much hard work the cast and crew put into preparations, public health precautions, etc. And that fear seemed to be confirmed when the show went on hiatus earlier, so even after performances resumed, I always kept my eye out for news that, once again, it would be stopped - possibly, as we got closer and closer to the finish line, for good.

But they did it. The cast and crew stayed healthy (or, at least, COVID-free), and their audience was safe as well. And that, I think, deserves special congratulations. :hooray2:

• Like 2
  • Replies 57.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

New workout video from JW - What I find interesting about watching this video in particular is that, as built up as he's become over the years, JW's overall proportions are still the same. Like, even when viewed from the back like that, he's instantly recognizable :) 

Also, while JW seldom appears in those Instagram fan collages (he's not that big in the Hallyu star world, and that's fine with me), but he did in these ones recently:

Historical vs. Modern dress - By the way: which one do you prefer him in?

Antiheroic K-drama Leads - This post mentions Yong Pal specifically, but I think we could make reasonable arguments for some of his other dramas, too. Hm...maybe that's what he's the "king" of ;) 

• Like 2

JW got a shoutout in Beenzino's recent Vlog - He was asked some questions about the Gunbang group (i.e. Beenzino himself, Daesung, Taeyang, Go Kyung Pyo, and JW), and his answers were hilarious. :lol: 

The mention of JW was in answer to whether he'd rather walk the Camino de Santiago (a popular pilgrimage trek through Spain - the same one that got a shoutout in Alice) with JW or Go Kyung Pyo. He picked JW (yay!), but the way he described both guys made them sound like real-life versions of Cha Yoo Jin and Yoo Il Rak. I guess the Nae Il's Cantabile casting directors were onto something after all ;) 

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
2 hours ago, kittyna said:

JW got a shoutout in Beenzino's recent Vlog - He was asked some questions about the Gunbang group (i.e. Beenzino himself, Daesung, Taeyang, Go Kyung Pyo, and JW), and his answers were hilarious. :lol: 

The mention of JW was in answer to whether he'd rather walk the Camino de Santiago (a popular pilgrimage trek through Spain - the same one that got a shoutout in Alice) with JW or Go Kyung Pyo. He picked JW (yay!), but the way he described both guys made them sound like real-life versions of Cha Yoo Jin and Yoo Il Rak. I guess the Nae Il's Cantabile casting directors were onto something after all ;) 

Lol! I like the way he picked according to the nature of his friends. Like, he knew which guy will not feel bad if he is left out since he likes to be left out. And Go Kyung Pyo side tracking from the journey seems to be accurate. Also, I like how joo won try to left out himself out in the beginning of the video

2 hours ago, kittyna said:

He picked JW (yay!), but the way he described both guys made them sound like real-life versions of Cha Yoo Jin and Yoo Il Rak. I guess the Nae Il's Cantabile casting directors were onto something after all ;) 

I think the casting department was spot on, Yoo II Rak character easily distracted and Cha Yoo Jin is focused until he completes his task.

• Like 4

Hey dear fellow Joo Won fans, I've been reading in this thread quietly for a little while now and thought I'd say "hi"^^

I only discovered Joo Won about a month ago when I decided to watch Good Doctor on Netflix and ever since I've been completely under his spell. I've only watched GD, Alice, Tomorrow Cantabile and Joo Won's Lifelog so far but the more I see of his acting and his personality the more blown away I am. I've honestly no words to describe his acting... and no one to compare him to either, he seems to be in a league of his very own. It seems like there's not a single emotion he can't express - in a gazillion ways, too - and in those 3 dramas I've watched so far it's like each time I'm meeting him for the first time all over again - everything's different: his posture, his voice, his facial expressions, his movements...

I could sing his praises forever but instead I'll ask what I wanted to ask: is there any work of his or interview, etc that you'd recommend I watch next? I want to catch up with all he's done over the years but since he had his debut in 2006 (and drama debut in 2010) there is a TON of content and I'm finding myself a little overwhelmed. If you have any suggestions, I'd be so happy if you'd share. Thank you 

Edited by Calli
  • Like 4
30 minutes ago, Calli said:

I could sing his praises forever but instead I'll ask what I wanted to ask: is there any work of his or interview, etc that you'd recommend I watch next? I want to catch up with all he's done over the years but since he had his debut in 2006 (and drama debut in 2010) there is a TON of content and I'm finding myself a little overwhelmed. If you have any suggestions, I'd be so happy if you'd share. Thank you 

Edited 20 minutes ago by Calli

First of all, welcome to the forum and I hope we get along. And second of all, I know the struggle you are going through right now. Like, after completing all the dramas of joo won and completely mesmerized by acting, you are craving more, like to find what he is like off the screen, about his personal life and interview. So, here's a fan account who keeps almost all the past off screen videos of Joo won

https://www.instagram.com/meyahmjw/

And you can search for behind the scene videos of his dramas on YouTube, unfortunately, some of them have no subtitles

Also here's the 3 months old video of joo won starring in "Jessi's show"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pemDVA6jEEI

I am pretty sure other members from the group  will pitch in and provide you with more content

• Like 4
4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

First of all, welcome to the forum and I hope we get along. And second of all, I know the struggle you are going through right now. Like, after completing all the dramas of joo won and completely mesmerized by acting, you are craving more, like to find what he is like off the screen, about his personal life and interview. So, here's a fan account who keeps almost all the past off screen videos of Joo won

https://www.instagram.com/meyahmjw/

And you can search for behind the scene videos of his dramas on YouTube, unfortunately, some of them have no subtitles

Also here's the 3 months old video of joo won starring in "Jessi's show"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pemDVA6jEEI

I am pretty sure other members from the group  will pitch in and provide you with more content

Thanks so much for the warm welcome, kireeti2! I really appreciate it and the links you shared. I've actually already watched Joo Won & Ivy's appearance on Jessi's show and absolutely loved it. I kept thinking throughout "how - with all his many gifts and accomplishments - is he so humble and sweet and SO charming?" Also, he keeps getting more handsome too with every passing year (not complaing at all^^). Thank you again!

• Like 4
45 minutes ago, Calli said:

Hello again, 

I stumbled upon Joo Won's Ghost interview (part 1 and 2) posted on the i_sensee IG account and I was wondering if anyone knows if there's an English translation anywhere? Thank you

Here's the YouTube link for these interviews. Just enable English Subs under 'cc'

It is not perfect, but enough to understand the context in the interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVL5WIyIrQ&list=PLWb9aB-BHnIW_hONgGWZlkRNp_xfOZFcP&index=30

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Here's the YouTube link for these interviews. Just enable English Subs under 'cc'

It is not perfect, but enough to understand the context in the interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GVL5WIyIrQ&list=PLWb9aB-BHnIW_hONgGWZlkRNp_xfOZFcP&index=30

You're an angel! Thank you so much kireeti2

It's too bad Joo Won Cutie isn't around anymore. They used to do such amazing translation work for Joo Won content :'(

Edited by Calli
  • Like 3
20 hours ago, Calli said:

Sorry for being late to the game, but welcome @Calli!

d345446f506e16e63b281f855b85567d.jpg

Since @kireeti2 already covered some of the recent behind-the-scenes/interview goodies, I think I'll focus predominantly on dramas. ;) 

Generally, I prefer seeing JW in more serious dramas - not that he can't do comedy (like in Good Doctor or Nae Il's Cantabile), but that's not his strongest suit, which you might have realized already after watching Alice. So, if it were up to me, I'd recommend Yong Pal (also called The Gang Doctor on some sites) as a good all-around performance from him. Admittedly, the focus of the drama shifts away from his character to the female lead (Kim Tae Hee) in the second half, but he still nails his position as the outside observer in those moments, and he has some really good introspective moments there.

I don't know if Yong Pal is available on Netflix (since I don't subscribe to it), but if not, I personally recommend Dramacool as a free online streaming site.

5 hours ago, Calli said:

It's too bad Joo Won Cutie isn't around anymore. They used to do such amazing translation work for Joo Won content :'(

They did, that's true. Some of the Cuties do still hover around here, even if they're not as active in posting as they used to be, but I think in terms of English-language stuff, Instagram is your best bet. Even K-entertainment news sites (Soompi, Hancinema, etc.) tend to ignore JW in favour of other bigger names, so we mostly make do with any updates from his agency that end up being translated into English ;) 

You can either follow a few JW fans on Instagram, or do what I do, which is to follow the actual "joo won" tag. That does lead to a ton of irrelevant stuff showing up (since "joo won" is a very common Korean name to begin with), but it also mean that you'll come across any major updates...multiple times :P 

• Like 4
17 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Generally, I prefer seeing JW in more serious dramas - not that he can't do comedy (like in Good Doctor or Nae Il's Cantabile), but that's not his strongest suit, which you might have realized already after watching Alice. So, if it were up to me, I'd recommend Yong Pal (also called The Gang Doctor on some sites) as a good all-around performance from him. Admittedly, the focus of the drama shifts away from his character to the female lead (Kim Tae Hee) in the second half, but he still nails his position as the outside observer in those moments, and he has some really good introspective moments there.

I don't know if Yong Pal is available on Netflix (since I don't subscribe to it), but if not, I personally recommend Dramacool as a free online streaming site.

@Calli Or you can watch it on YouTube with subs from official SBS channel

Here is the link for all the episodes of Yong Pal

• Like 1
  • Blob 2
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Sorry for being late to the game, but welcome @Calli!

Generally, I prefer seeing JW in more serious dramas - not that he can't do comedy (like in Good Doctor or Nae Il's Cantabile), but that's not his strongest suit, which you might have realized already after watching Alice. So, if it were up to me, I'd recommend Yong Pal  (...)

They did, that's true. Some of the Cuties do still hover around here, even if they're not as active in posting as they used to be, but I think in terms of English-language stuff, Instagram is your best bet. Even K-entertainment news sites (Soompi, Hancinema, etc.) tend to ignore JW in favour of other bigger names, so we mostly make do with any updates from his agency that end up being translated into English ;) 

Thank you so much as well @kittyna for your warm welcome and the very helpful information you provided.

It's so interesting what you said about JW's strong suit being more serious roles. I watched Good Doctor on Netflix and because I was so blown away by his acting I watched Alice right after... I thought I was seeing (and hearing) things. Everything was so different - his posture and general body language and vocal tone and it was just like seeing someone else completely. I guess since he was playing an autistic savante in the one drama and a detective born with a genetic defect that doesn't allow him to recognize/process emotions properly in the other, I was expecting him to be different but he wasn't simply different, he was honestly a completely different person I had trouble recognizing. Which only speaks to how incredibly gifted an actor he is. And that impression continued and strengthened while I watched Tomorrow Cantabile - even if the drama wasn't very successful - JW's acting gift still shone through. And his hard work. I would have never guessed he only prepared 4-5 months learning to play the piano, violin and how to conduct, looking at what he conveyed in the drama. So, so far, imo he only has strong suits (no matter the genre) - no weak suit in sight ;) 

Anyway, I could really sing his praises for hours, and I've only just scratched the surface of his "oeuvre", haha :D 

Good to know some of the Cuties are still around, they really did incredible work for international fans. Too bad their dailymotion and youtube channels aren't around anymore :'(

You said "Even K-entertainment news sites (Soompi, Hancinema, etc.) tend to ignore JW in favour of other bigger names". To be honest, with all the success he's had from the very beginning of his foray into drama land, I'm really surprised that's the case. Considering his immense talent and his beautiful personality (based on what I saw in the interviews, his Win Win appearance in November 2012, his Life Log and some 2D&1N episodes, his Healing Camp episode, and his recent Knowing Bros & Radio Star eps he's such a genuine, honest, humble, sweet & warm guy), I would have thought he'd be one of the bigger names and have a huge fanbase, too. How come that isn't the case? I'd love to know your insights...

I followed the tag on insta :) Thanks so much for the suggestion.

And Yong Pal is next on my list! Along with Bridal Mask, since JW has mentioned that that drama was his turning point and from what I can tell it's the one that brought him lots of fame & popularity back then.

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

@Calli Or you can watch it on YouTube with subs from official SBS channel

Here is the link for all the episodes of Yong Pal

Thank you so so much @kireeti2. This link is super helpful.

You guys are amazing! (ps: sorry for the essay) 

Edited by Calli
  • Like 3

It's so interesting what you said about JW's strong suit being more serious roles. I watched Good Doctor on Netflix and because I was so blown away by his acting I watched Alice right after... I thought I was seeing (and hearing) things. Everything was so different - his posture and general body language and vocal tone and it was just like seeing someone else completely.

Obviously, Good Doctor is an outlier, but If you've seen his interviews and Joo Won's Life Log, you'll know that JW has an "acting voice" that he uses in many of his roles (like in Alice) that's significantly deeper than his real-life voice. Like, I don't know how common that is among Korean actors in general, but it's one of those things you notice about JW really quickly :) 

I guess since he was playing an autistic savante in the one drama and a detective born with a genetic defect that doesn't allow him to recognize/process emotions properly, I was expecting him to be different but he wasn't simply different, he was honestly a completely different person I had trouble recognizing.

lol - I wasn't a JW fan (or a Hallyu fan) yet when this happened, but I've heard from long-time fans that the 2012-2013 period in his work was the really crazy bit in terms of range, since it had Gaksital as a KBS drama, 1N2D as a KBS variety show, and then Good Doctor as a KBS drama again - it was like watching JW with a split personality :P 

And if you do end up watching Yong Pal, you'll see how JW pulled off two doctor characters who are near opposites in personality.

And that impression continued and strengthened while I watched Tomorrow Cantabile - even if the drama wasn't very successful - JW's acting gift still shone through. And his hard work. I would have never guessed he only prepared 4-5 months learning to play the piano, violin and how to conduct, looking at what he conveyed in the drama. 

As someone who has learned classical piano (not nearly as well as Cha Yoo Jin or Seol Nae Il, but still classically trained), the piano performances were okay. Like, they weren't going to be perfect, obviously, but nor was I expecting them to be. I did find JW's conducting really satisfying to watch, though - but I can't comment on his violin playing at all, since I wouldn't know what's accurate or not myself. :P 

You said "Even K-entertainment news sites (Soompi, Hancinema, etc.) tend to ignore JW in favour of other bigger names". To be honest, with all the success he's had from the very beginning of his foray into drama land, I'm really surprised that's the case. Considering his immense talent and his beautiful personality (based on what I saw in the interviews, his Win Win appearance in November 2012, his Life Log and some 2D&1N episodes, and his Healing Camp episode he's such a genuine, honest, humble, sweet & warm guy), I would have thought he'd be one of the bigger names and have a huge fanbase, too. How come that isn't the case? I'd love to know your insights...

I think what it is is that JW has never really had that successful romantic or teen-drama role that a ton of other Hallyu actors have had (e.g. The HeirsMy Love from the StarsDescendants of the SunLove in the Moonlight, etc.), and his attempts in that direction have tended to be flops ratings-wise (Nae Il's CantabileMy Sassy Girl, etc.).

So it means that he never actually got a foot in in the whole "Oppa" culture that fuels so much of the online engagement from international fans. But those who know that about him and his work end up appreciating what he does manage to do well - and rather than being the Oppa heart throb, many of us hope that he could become a solidly respected character/veteran actor in the future. :) 

So, for example...just a few days ago, @kireeti2 and I were chatting in the direct messages about how we'd like JW to play Sherlock Holmes if anyone were to hypothetically adapt the BBC drama into a K-drama. So...more that sort of role than a rom-com hero ;) 

I followed the tag on insta :) Thanks so much for the suggestion.

You're welcome - again, because of the common name, you will find posts for other celebrities or even a boy-love webtoon (Love or Hate, I think it's called) this way, but the majority of posts are still about our JW (or at least about K-dramas in general).

lol - As you can tell, @Calli, there's no need to worry about long posts as far as I'm concerned - I write like that, too ;) 

• Like 3
52 minutes ago, Calli said:

imo he only has strong suits (no matter the genre) - no weak suit in sight ;) 

I think I can point out a weak suit: he lacks spontaneity,so he sort of failed to shine in variety shows, and that is one of the reason he has thin fan base. If we examine careful, actors who does well in variety show and does okay in dramas and movies have lot of fan base, case in point actors from 1day and 2 nights and Running man. So, I would point out comedy is weak suit for joon won(not entirely but it is an area where he can improve)

55 minutes ago, Calli said:

You said "Even K-entertainment news sites (Soompi, Hancinema, etc.) tend to ignore JW in favour of other bigger names".

That's because Joo won's popularity only confined to East Asia, although he has considerable international fan base, but not enough to draw the attention of the media.

56 minutes ago, Calli said:

JW's acting gift still shone through. And his hard work. I would have never guessed he only prepared 4-5 months learning to play the piano, violin and how to conduct, looking at what he conveyed in the drama

Well, joo won tends to give his 100% when it comes to work and is diligent enough to complete the work on time. So, no wonder he got the Producers' choice award for his performance in "Alice" in SBS drama award. And also, do lookout for his new movie in collaboration with Netflix, it's from thriller genre, and Joo won's strong suit is playing roles in thriller, so, we can expect his best performance in the movie, regardless of the success of the movie.

30 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Obviously, Good Doctor is an outlier, but If you've seen his interviews and Joo Won's Life Log, you'll know that JW has an "acting voice" that he uses in many of his roles (like in Alice) that's significantly deeper than his real-life voice

Yeah, in really life his voice is not that deep. It's like when he gets into character he changes his voice.

31 minutes ago, kittyna said:

So it means that he never actually got a foot in in the whole "Oppa" culture that fuels so much of the online engagement from international fans. But those who know that about him and his work end up appreciating what he does manage to do well - and rather than being the Oppa heart throb, many of us hope that he could become a solidly respected character/veteran actor in the future. :) 

I think it is good that he did not struck in OPPA culture, otherwise he should have played only those rom-com roles and we would have never seen his versatile acting. And also, it is funny how no female lead of joo won's drama had ever called him "OPPA"(of course Nae-il called him Orabang, but that doesn't count).

• Like 4
5 hours ago, kittyna said:

Obviously, Good Doctor is an outlier, but If you've seen his interviews and Joo Won's Life Log, you'll know that JW has an "acting voice" that he uses in many of his roles (like in Alice) that's significantly deeper than his real-life voice. Like, I don't know how common that is among Korean actors in general, but it's one of those things you notice about JW really quickly :)  

I think what it is is that JW has never really had that successful romantic or teen-drama role that a ton of other Hallyu actors have had (e.g. The HeirsMy Love from the StarsDescendants of the SunLove in the Moonlight, etc.), and his attempts in that direction have tended to be flops ratings-wise (Nae Il's CantabileMy Sassy Girl, etc.).

So much food for thought! I love this~ I'll try to reply properly. 

First @kittyna, I absolutely noticed the voice thing. I watched Naeil's Contabile right after 24 episodes of JW's Life Log and in the first few minutes of episode 1 where Cha Yoojin is narrating I didn't recognize JW's voice. I was like "who is that?" *embarrassing but true*

And this distinction between real-life voice and acting voice is not something I've noticed with any other actors I've watched interviews/variety appearances of. He's very very special that way. He truly becomes someone else while he acts. Must be very cathartic for him. 

What you mentioned about JW never having had a highly successful teen or romantic drama is a really good observation imo. It's funny that that hasn't happened for him so far considering he would have really liked to star in a very romantic "the notebook"-like melodrama, from what I gathered in some of his interviews. But yes, the dramas you mentioned or such recent dramas like Extraordinary You were very powerful in terms of gathering a huge international fanbase for their stars. @kireeti2I actually don't think it's his lack of variety skills that explains his "smaller" fanbase (when I said "no weak suit in sight" I was referring to his acting, be it in a serious or more comedic genre) - if you look at huge Hallyu stars like Lee Minho or Ji Chang Wook they have no variety skills either. I'd say in fact they have less skills or at least way less practice in that area compared to JW and yet they each have a huge international fanbase. 

I definitely agree with you guys that I'm very happy about the choices he's made so far and that he hasn't been confined to what you call "the oppa image". I think with his gift for acting he could have never been confined to that imo...his ability to convey all sorts of emotions in such a powerful way - whether he acts or sings or both - is just too extraordinary for that. However, his choices obviously helped to keep him out of that lane and helped him grow a lot along the way. I would love to see him portray a Sherlock Holmes like figure - intelligent, slightly arrogant and anti-social but with his heart in the right place - he'd be incredible at that for sure. 

And I'm definitely looking forward to seeing him in Carter. I've no doubt he'll be amazing in it. I'm hoping that Netflix and this movie will serve as a platform to introduce many more people to JW and the amazing actor and person he is. Netflix certainly introduced him to me. I had been meaning to watch Good Doctor since forever and when it was finally available in my region I did... and now I'm here^^ 

Edited by Calli
  • Like 3
9 hours ago, Calli said:

@kireeti2I actually don't think it's his lack of variety skills that explains his "smaller" fanbase (when I said "no weak suit in sight" I was referring to his acting, be it in a serious or more comedic genre) - if you look at huge Hallyu stars like Lee Minho or Ji Chang Wook they have no variety skills either. I'd say in fact they have less skills or at least way less practice in that area compared to JW and yet they each have a huge international fanbase. 

I agree with, but the actors you have mentioned have played lead roles from the beginning of their careers and they have head start when we compare them with  Joo won. What I mean was that variety shows play a role in expanding popularity of an artist I had Kim Seon-ho's name in my mind. As you know, due to his recent casting in variety show his popularity as shot up 4 times and more than the eastablished actor like Joo won. So, lack of variety skills might not be an reason for small base, but having one does get a considerable fan base.

And now that you have mentioned other Hallyu stars, they have been leads from their beginning of their careers, where as joo won got lead role in his second drama, which is Bridal Mask, but that drama was targeted towards regional fans, and of course it did pull few International fans, but it was not a typical historic drama like "Moon Embracing the Sun" which was regional and International hit. So, we can call Joo won's "Good Doctor" has the drama which shot his fame both in East Asia and Internationally, after that Yong Pal was big hit in South East Asia. So, with the new movie "Carter" will help in improving his fan base and also get his first award in Movie section, since he got none 

9 hours ago, Calli said:

I had been meaning to watch Good Doctor since forever and when it was finally available in my region I did... and now I'm here^^ 

Mine is kind of reverse scenario, first I saw the pilot episode of American remake of Good Doctor and then thought of giving the Korean version. And since then I have been exploring K-drama world and waiting for Joo won's new projects

• Like 3
2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I agree with, but the actors you have mentioned have played lead roles from the beginning of their careers and they have head start when we compare them with  Joo won.

Hmmm... I'm not sure that's true to be honest. Ji Chang Wook debuted as a musical actor as well and had his official debut into drama/movie land in 2008 through a movie where he didn't play a lead. He got his very first lead role in 2010 in the drama Smile Again. His breakthrough came in 2013 with Empress Ki and then it was Healer of course that made him gain a big international following. 

Joo Won on the other hand was given a lead role in his very first drama King of Baking (which was called a national drama because of its 50% ratings), then came Ojakgyuo Family where he also played a lead role and which was also a ratings success and then came his third drama, Bridal Mask in 2012, which brought him mainstream success.

And as far as Lee Minho goes he already started his on-screen career in 2003 with minor roles and then his career was put on hold in 2006 due to a serious accident. He only got his first lead role in 2007 in Mackerel Run which wasn't successful at all and after several other roles Boys Over Flowers happened in 2009 and the rest is history I guess. 

So as far as I've understood if anyone started of with leading roles right of the bat it was Joo Won (compared to Lee Minho and Ji Chang Wook) - but considering his acting skills and his hard work and how well he did he deserved that too. So I don't think that's the reason JW has a smaller fanbase. I guess it's more what @kittynamentioned before that JW hasn't had a drama like Boys Over Flowers or Healer that catapulted him into international stardom? Even though Good Doctor certainly had the potential for that but I guess it didn't attract as big a fangirl influx? Though that puzzles me a lot. From what I saw he even got the Netizen award for Good Doctor so his popularity must have been very high at the time? 

I personally dont think that international fans care that much about variety shows in picking their biases. They watch a drama and if they discover an actor they like that's when they start looking up their variety appearances as well. I think variety skills is something that is more important to Korean fans? I might be totally wrong of course. It's just that that has been my experience and impression with other international k-drama fans I've met along the years. 

• Like 4
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]