Joo Won 주원 [Current Drama 2024 - The Midnight Studio/ 야한(夜限) 사진관]

flutterby06

For those who have Netflix: they've finally acquired Alice

I don't use Netflix myself, but for those who do, make sure to check what's available in your country as regional restrictions do apply. For example, some comments on the Instagram post said that Alice is not available on Netflix Japan because it's currently being broadcast on television. So, again, I can't promise anything; I'm just announcing this since I remember some folks here were wondering when/if this was going to happen.

• Like 1

Happy Seollal, Everybody!

4b1143ae8380dfa0392561cd33c0c84f.jpg

Whether you call it Seollal, Chinese New Year, Tết, or something else, if you do celebrate, here's wishing you the best of health and happiness with family and friends. And may we all be able to face the challenges of the year ahead with the strength and resilience of an ox.

And while I do know that the tradition in Korea is to wear hanbok (obviously), I also can't help but want to add a throwback to when JW wore Chinese clothing as well:

714620eed71a14729866ddbdb4c232a0.jpg

There will be another goody coming for you guys later today, so stay tuned!

• Thanks 2

So, as promised, I wanted to do a little something for Seollal this year, so here's a quick interactive.

I'm sure you already know that different years are associated with different animals in Korean culture - our JW's a rabbit, for instance. Generally, one's zodiac animal is meant to be a clue to one's personality, and although that actually isn't accurate (I will point out, though, that JW is...an amazingly close match to the "rabbit" type), it did give me an idea for a quick match-up sort of challenge.

Using this article as your guide, let me know which JW drama characters you'd associate with each animal (in terms of personality, not birth year :P) and why.

Note that you are allowed to list as many characters as you want. So if you want to put several characters under one category, go for it :) Also, both main and supporting characters are allowed.

Again, no right or wrong answers - so just go nuts :hwaiting:

• Like 2

Well, now, here's an interesting treat I wasn't expecting: an interview with Kee Min Soo, the director of Good Doctor, for this year's Global TV Demand Awards. Apparently, Good Doctor was nominated for "Most In-Demand Korean Drama Series Award" - as for how the actual stats played out, you can watch a time-lapse chart here.

I haven't watched the whole interview myself yet, but I wanted to share it with you guys since I found it being shared by Moon Chae Won's fans on Instagram - plus, the title of the interview is just, "Aw...." :fullofhearts:

And a couple of other Instagram goodies for everyone:

Photo with a fan

A throwback to one of the watches JW wore in a photo shoot - Which, by the way, reminds me that he was once described in an old article as "an analog person".

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Quick question inspired by this Instagram postwhat do you think JW would be the "King" of, and why?

I am thinking actor who takes versatile roles, since most of his roles are different from previous roles. But if I have to choose a common trait in his roles, then I would go for actor who takes "emotionless characters". I deliberately choose not use the word "King", grammatically it doesn't make any sense and I find it to be cheesy. But, yeah, I think he is an kind of actor who makes audience appreciate his acting first then look at his looks. So, we can say that an actor who completely immerse himself into the character.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

But if I have to choose a common trait in his roles, then I would go for actor who takes "emotionless characters".

I'm not sure what answer I was expecting, but I don't think it was this one :P Maybe it's because I really just think of Park Jin Gyeom as an "emotionless character", so I can't say that JW has a track record for playing them.

As for me, I think I'd put JW as the "King of Unconventional Characters" - almost every role he plays is just a little bit outside of the box, and I never really know what he'll end up doing next.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, kittyna said:

As for me, I think I'd put JW as the "King of Unconventional Characters" - almost every role he plays is just a little bit outside of the box, and I never really know what he'll end up doing next.

That's why I have used the "Versatile" role. Anyway, it is hard to predict what kind of script he is going to come up with, since he is kind of guy know for choosing story which are like you said unconventional in nature.

• Like 2

What theatre kids do in their spare time - No, seriously: any time you get a bunch of performing arts people (whether it's music, theatre, dance, musical theatre, etc.), they will just start randomly riffing like this, and it's awesome. And then, depending on the sophistication of the theatre's backstage facilities, you may end up getting told to be quiet because, "They can hear you out on stage." :P 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Lol! I wasn't expecting Joo won to join them :joy: Since, it almost feels like his agency controls in which video we can be or cannot be.

Why is his company controls whatever he is in? That's a bit sad... So we rarely see him his appearance in some videos

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Since, it almost feels like his agency controls in which video we can be or cannot be.

1 hour ago, mystylee33 said:

Why is his company controls whatever he is in? That's a bit sad... So we rarely see him his appearance in some videos

I don't think we as fans will ever truly know what goes on between JW and his agency - like, is the fact that he rarely appears on social media beyond official agency-run opportunities because of their control, or simply because he's a private/reserved person who prefers it that way? It's anyone's guess, really, so I don't think we should read too much into his relatively rare social media appearances.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, mystylee33 said:

10 hours ago, kittyna said:

I don't think we as fans will ever truly know what goes on between JW and his agency - like, is the fact that he rarely appears on social media beyond official agency-run opportunities because of their control, or simply because he's a private/reserved person who prefers it that way? It's anyone's guess, really, so I don't think we should read too much into his relatively rare social media appearances.

Well, I think it is has to do more with monetizing his Joo won's photos and videos.  So, Joo won's agency likes to control his appearance on videos or photos which are not approved by the agency.

• Like 1
  • Insightful 1

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, I think it is has to do more with monetizing his Joo won's photos and videos.  So, Joo won's agency likes to control his appearance on videos or photos which are not approved by the agency.

I see. I thought you meant "control" in this really draconian sense, where the agency would try to censor the videos or Instagram posts and ask people to take it down because "It's not official." - because, you know, that stuff does happen.

But yes, it is safe to assume that just about every appearance we do see (even the ones that look spontaneous like selfies with fans or this video) is probably vetted to make sure it is of some benefit to the agency (most likely by promoting whatever JW's working on) before it can be posted.

There are definitely advantages to a system like this, since it means that the chance of JW posting something that could come back around to bit him isn't that high, but it does mean that JW has limited opportunities to just be himself without having to take work into consideration. Which is why, whether it's true or not, I like to imagine that JW has an actual personal/private social media account that's just for friends and family ;) 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

I like to imagine that JW has an actual personal/private social media account that's just for friends and family ;) 

I think he can have one, if he leaves the agency and becomes an independent artist. Which can only happen when he retires. So, for now, everything that happens in his life is controlled by the agency.

7 hours ago, kittyna said:

I see. I thought you meant "control" in this really draconian sense, where the agency would try to censor the videos or Instagram posts and ask people to take it down because "It's not official." - because, you know, that stuff does happen

I think that's the reason why Joo won appears only for brief time in Ghost videos(apart from Performance) and in Iv's Vlog

• Like 2