Quantcast

Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

On 1/5/2021 at 7:48 AM, kittyna said:

what New Year's resolutions  would the JW drama guys and girls make? And would they succeed in keeping them?

Ku Ma Jun- His resolution will be something like, try to be more kind and understanding towards others but he eventually he will fail to keep it and gets back to his normal self

Shin Yu-Kyung- Her resolution is something like similar to Ku Ma Jun but it's more like she wants to be more understanding of Ku Ma Jun

Hwang Tae Hee- It's more like a forced resolution, like, Baek Ja Eun will force him to take a resolution like stay away from danger and spend more time with her

Baek Ja Eun- Well, given her passionate nature she will have lot of resolution like getting good at cooking, farming etc. Her resolution sort of aligns in helping Park Bok Ja

Han Gil Ro- Well, his resolution will be like, to be more responsible in personal life and in relationship with Kim Seo Won

Kim Seo Won- She sort of perfect and in my personal opinion she doesn't need or doesn't like this resolution stuff, since if she wants to change something about her she can do it right away and doesn't need a new year resolution

Park Si-On- His resolution is something like, wants to get better at picking up social cues and learn cooking (like I feel like he would like to cook a delicious meal for his mother or Cha Yoon Seo on their respect birthdays as a gift or a part of celebration)

Cha Yoo Seo- Her resolution is to drink less and have healthy diet

Cha Yoo-Jin- I think his resolution will be to scold Nae-il as little as possible for her mischief

Nae-il- To cause less trouble for Cha Yoo Jin and she will fail miserably at it

Kim Tae-Hyun- To spend more time with Han Yeo-Jin and get his specialization(it is more like professional resolution but it is a resolution after all)

Han Yeo Jin- To be less scary towards her subordinates and staff members

Park Jin-Gyeom- Well, he is a sort of guy who does believe in these kinds of stuff but will have promise himself to protect everyone that he cares about(since he lost Detective Go he wouldn't want to loose others)

Kim Do-Yeon- Make Park Jin-Gyeom fall for her (Like Nae-Il she'll also fail miserably)

Yoon Tae-Yin(2020)- She pretty much perfect the way she is and I don't see any requirement for her, just like in case of Kim Seo Won

27 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Kim Tae Hyun - Cutting back on the language

I thought this resolution for Cha Yoon Seo but eventually dropped it :P

28 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Baek Ja Eun - Improving her cooking skills,

Lol, I guess he both remember how Hwang Tae Hee reluctantly ate all the food she made for him, must have left bad taste in his mouth :joy:

29 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Park Si On - I could think of two: being more assertive/confident, and being a better boyfriend

I sort of dropped the boyfriend thing, since it sounded like inappropriate for me talk on a subject how to be better boyfriend. Like, everyone has their own way of expressing, so, I dropped it due to too much generalization

32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Cha Yoon Seo - Starting (or completing - depends where she is) a research project

She as to cut back on drinking if she wants to start another project,so, I think the resolution I proposed it complementary to yours :joy:

33 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Han Yeo Jin - Getting back into shape. Here,

This one I did not think of. When saw the sentence "Getting back into shape", I sort of assumed it from the pregnancy, like she did took time off in real world after pregnancy. It does makes sense, since she is like a patient throughout the series and went through a massive surgery in the end, so, she does need strong resolution to gain her health and strength

• LOL 2
  • Replies 57.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

lol - It looks like we were writing our respective answers simultaneously, and wound up with two completely different lists :P 

24 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Han Gil Ro- Well, his resolution will be like, to be more responsible in personal life and in relationship with Kim Seo Won

Okay, I like this one ;) And it gives me an idea for my own answer for him:

Han Gil Ro - Curbing his spending. He's the typical chaebol heir in that he just tends to throw his money around - or, when he does save up, it's for some sort of luxury toy (e.g. a new sports car) rather than anything practical. So I think that either Kim Seo Won would push him to be more cautious about how he manages his funds, or he'll realize it the hard way when he overdrafts on his bank account (although government jobs allow for steady income, it's also not much ;)).

35 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Cha Yoo-Jin- I think his resolution will be to scold Nae-il as little as possible for her mischief

Seeing these side-by-side with mine, it just hit me how much I was drawing off my own Seolleim in Salzburg fanfic series rather than the drama itself :P 

37 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

I thought this resolution for Cha Yoon Seo but eventually dropped it :P

lol - And now you're making me imagine a department-wide swear tally, where the loser has to treat the team to dinner at the end of each month. And half the time, Cha Yoon Seo's the loser, and the other half...Kim Do Han is :lol:

• Like 2
9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Cha Yoon Seo's the loser, and the other half...Kim Do Han is

Now that you mention it , I think cha yoon seo learned swearing from Kim Do Han. And even though she tried to teach Park Si-On to swear , he ended up making joke out of it

11 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Han Gil Ro - Curbing his spending. 

Well, it will be difficult when Kim Seo won's brother is around. He will probably the main reason for the breaking of Han Gil Ro's resolution of not spending too much

13 minutes ago, kittyna said:

two completely different lists :P 

I think there are similarities,like, Baek Ja Run cooking resolution and Park Si-On's resolution of getting better at social interaction

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Now that you mention it , I think cha yoon seo learned swearing from Kim Do Han. And even though she tried to teach Park Si-On to swear , he ended up making joke out of it

Speaking of Park Si On, another possibility is that he'd have this really weird threshold for himself in terms of what counts as swearing. Like, he would add to his tally whenever he scolded Park Woong Ki or something, and then Cha Yoon Seo would always have to go to that part of the whiteboard and erase it :P And then Si On would be all like, "But I was angry", and she'd answer, "I know - but it's still not swearing."

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Just want to come back to this one for a second, because now that you mention it, I could also see Nae Il resolving to help out more around the house, thinking that would make things easier for Yoo Jin...except she never quite does it to his standard, which just leads them right back to square one :P 

Speaking of Nae Il and Yoo Jin - I don't know if anyone here has heard of the new "aesthetics" (e.g. dark/light academia, cottagecore, etc.) that have cropped up on places like Instagram over the course of 2020. There's nothing really new about them save for the label, but I managed to stumble across this explanation of what the "dark academia" style would look like on guys (here's a quick run-down of what interests and behaviours that term even entails), and...yep, looks like I just found Yoo Jin's aesthetic in a nutshell ;) 

And last but not least, I'm here with my guesses on the Alice cast's New Year's Resolutions. Note that because all the timelines, parallel versions, etc. can get really confusing, I'm actually setting these before the main action of the drama.

Park Jin Gyeom - He's not the sort of person who'd do this for himself (since his one main goal in life is to solve his mother's murder), but I think Kim Do Yeon would push him to consider spending more time with his friends/colleagues outside of work. So, for example, actually hanging out with her or his team in a social context, calling or visiting Captain Go's wife at least once a week, etc.

Kim Do Yeon - Probably something related to her profession (not sure what, though), or maybe traveling to a place on her bucket list. It did cross my mind to do something linked to her relationship with Jin Gyeom, but there's not much beyond what she already does that wouldn't end up crossing a line (i.e. it doesn't feel right for me to have one person set a goal that's contingent on another person's feelings or consent).

Yoon Tae Yi (2020) - It depends on her mood. If she's just, "Yeah, whatever" about it, I imagine she'd say losing weight (she's the only one out of the JW drama female leads to actually comment on this explicitly). But if she was more serious about it, I think she'd want something related to her research, such as getting a new journal article or conference paper published

Cute SBS Drama Awards fanart

• Like 2
12 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Cha Yoo Seo- Her resolution is to drink less and have healthy diet

By the way, I was re-reading our responses, and now I'm curious: how on earth did you come to think of Cha Yoon Seo as the drinker out of these drama characters? I mean, most of them drink (and have gotten drunk), so why her?

• Like 2
18 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I mean, most of them drink (and have gotten drunk), so why her?

Oh, I didn't mean that:sweat_smile:. Let me rephrase it. What I meant was, she usually choose to drink alcohol whenever she is upset or mad about something. Like, in the beginning of the episode she had a disagreement with Kim Do Han, she tried to drink herself up in order to cope with the fight. So, her resolution will not to get drunk whenever she is mad or upset about something. Of course she sort of changed after meeting Park Si-On.

• Like 2

Coffee truck sent to Oh Yeon Seo by JW - Her message says, "Thanks, Gyun-sabu", which, if you guys remember, is how Hye Myung addresses Gyun Woo in My Sassy Girl :) 

Adult Korean actors who've played high school students

lol - This reminds me: I was initially unconvinced by JW's appearance as the teenage Park Jin Gyeom in Alice, but was starting to come around to it from his individual stills. But the hallway scene (when he comes out after beating up the bullies) just killed it: it would have worked better if the production kept with adult actors (like they did with the bullies), but the extras in the hallway were real high school kids, and suddenly, Jin Gyeom was the only person in the entire school who'd already hit his growth spurt :lol:

7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Oh, I didn't mean that:sweat_smile:. Let me rephrase it. What I meant was, she usually choose to drink alcohol whenever she is upset or mad about something.

I know what you meant :) I just noticed that you've joked about Cha Yoon Seo's drinking a few times already, so I was remarking on the association that's been building up. 

Drinking (in both social and individual contexts) is so common in Korea that I generally don't think much of K-drama characters drinking - unless it's used narratively as a form of self-destructive behaviour. So I hadn't thought much of problem drinking re: the girls - if I had to pick one, I'd go with Hye Myung - but for the guys, I've wound up focusing on Cha Yoo Jin for that reason. Gu Ma Jun too, to be honest, but I don't think I'll be writing King of Baking fics anytime soon :P 

• Like 3
12 minutes ago, kittyna said:

ffee truck sent to Oh Yeon Seo by JW - Her message says, "Thanks, Gyun-sabu", which, if you guys remember, is how Hye Myung addresses Gyun Woo in My Sassy Girl :) 

Wow! I did not know she is doing a drama and the stroy looks interesting. And she also doing a movie as well. Also, it's cute that she remembers the Joo won's character pet name.

15 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Hye Myung -

Yup, cha yoon seo and Hye Myung have lot of similarities. Like, both like to drink whenever they are down or for celebrations 

18 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Jin Gyeom was the only person in the entire school who'd already hit his growth spurt

Yeah, like one of those few kids who look older for their age

• Like 2

An actor recognized by the producers- Studio Santa released behind the scene from SBS Drama Awards.. 

Looking so gooooooooooooooooood.............:partyblob:

10.jpg?type=w1200

9.jpg?type=w1200

8.jpg?type=w1200

More at: https://m.post.naver.com/viewer/postView.nhn?volumeNo=30417276&memberNo=31542741

Absolutely loving how Studio Santa is releasing behind scene picture of every event of Joo Won..:approves:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2
  • Blob 1
46 minutes ago, flutterby06 said:

Studio Santa released behind the scene from SBS Drama Awards.. 

Looking so gooooooooooooooooood.............

Wow...I don't think I ever got a really good look at his suit prior to this, but dang....

It's not a tux (which I know is more the norm for an awards show), but I love it :glasses: I feel like he's got a slight vintage vibe with this outfit - I could be wrong (since I know next to nothing about vintage men's fashion), but I think it's the vest/waistcoat that's making me think that :) 

5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Also, it's cute that she remembers the Joo won's character pet name.

A number of actors who've co-starred together retain their characters' names/titles as an inside joke - I don't know how common the practice is, but this isn't the first time I've seen it.

[EDIT] - I took a second look at the photo, and I just noticed that JW also called her "Princess" (it's in the greeting to her plastered on the truck itself).

Yup, cha yoon seo and Hye Myung have lot of similarities. Like, both like to drink whenever they are down or for celebrations 

Which makes me wonder what would happen if, say, the time-space continuum got bent and they actually met :P 

I also think there's reasonable argument for Yoon Tae Yi (2020) having a similar personality, too. Maybe not the drinking part, per se, but she's also that really passionate and outspoken sort of person who could fit in right alongside the guys (unless they try to hit on her like that one colleague did, cuz that's just creepy) ;) 

Yeah, like one of those few kids who look older for their age

:loolz: Point. There's probably at least one such kid in every high school ;) 

I do have to give JW kudos, though, for how he moved as the teenage Jin Gyeom, though: there's just enough awkwardness that he did make me think of a teenager who suddenly just shot up in height over a couple of months but hasn't actually gotten used to being that big or tall yet :P 

• Like 2
6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:
7 hours ago, kittyna said:

ffee truck sent to Oh Yeon Seo by JW - Her message says, "Thanks, Gyun-sabu", which, if you guys remember, is how Hye Myung addresses Gyun Woo in My Sassy Girl :) 

Wow! I did not know she is doing a drama and the stroy looks interesting. And she also doing a movie as well. Also, it's cute that she remembers the Joo won's character pet name.

1 hour ago, kittyna said:
6 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Also, it's cute that she remembers the Joo won's character pet name.

A number of actors who've co-starred together retain their characters' names/titles as an inside joke - I don't know how common the practice is, but this isn't the first time I've seen it.

[EDIT] - I took a second look at the photo, and I just noticed that JW also called her "Princess" (it's in the greeting to her plastered on the truck itself).

Also when Oh Yeon Seo Sent him coffee truck in Alice set he thanked her saying 'Mama' (your Highness) which is how he used to address her mostly in the drama.

ErIXHSjXEAAEo8q?format=jpg&name=360x360

And like @kittyna mentioned this time he addressed her as 'Gongju' (Princess) and she thanked 'Gyun Sabu'. :thumbsup:

ErIXIBtXYAAIuqL?format=jpg&name=360x360

Good to see their friendly interaction.

Joo Won's award speech subtitled in Kocowa-

• Like 3

Soompi Awards: Best and Worst of the Rest (Dramas 2020)

Chingus, welcome to our final poll of 2020. :kiss_wink:  You can vote for:

1) The best C-drama of 2020

2) The most disappointing K-drama or K-drama ending of 2020

3) The best abs in a K-drama in 2020

Your Event Organizers,

@partyon and @Lmangla

Joo Won featured in question 3 - Please vote ! :dorakiss:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
4 hours ago, partyon said:

Joo Won featured in question 3 - Please vote !

Thanks for the heads-up! I tried to vote, but it didn't work for me for some reasons described in my post over there. That being said, I hope a verbal shout-out still counts for something ;) 

And, for those who don't want to head over there (or in case it's buried), here's what I said re: JW's abs ;) 

To be honest, I haven't participated in any of the Soompi Awards polls yet, since I don't think I've watched enough 2020 dramas to judge anything properly :P There are a ton on my "to watch" list, but I've only gotten to Alice so far, so....

That being said, I did decide to stop by this time, because I also want to give my shout-out to Joo Won's abs scene in that. Honestly, big muscular builds and six-pack abs aren't my thing. Like, I get what the fuss is about, but it's not what I personally find physically attractive. However, that being said, I know just how hard JW worked for those abs: starting from wanting to be able to build himself up like that years ago (at least as far back as 2013), to starting physical training in 2014, to looking fit but still without visible abs in his shirtless scene in Nae Il's Cantabile in that same year, to his enlistment, to maintaining his post-enlistment build up until now. And seeing him featured on a poll like this, it's great to see how all of that paid off. :) 

• Like 2
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Thanks for the heads-up! I tried to vote, but it didn't work for me for some reasons described in my post over there. That being said, I hope a verbal shout-out still counts for something ;)

Oh, but every vote counts. Can't believe Lee Dong Wook is overtaking Joo Won soon - especially since he has no abs to mention of. :D

Just press "None of the above" for Q1 and Q2. :kiss_wink:

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, partyon said:

Oh, but every vote counts. Can't believe Lee Dong Wook is overtaking Joo Won soon - especially since he has no abs to mention of.

Yup, Joo won is leading by one vote against Kim Soo Hyun :grin: Unfortunately his drama "Alice" is also leading in "Worst Ending" section :sweat_smile:

• Like 2
  • LOL 2
25 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Unfortunately his drama "Alice" is also leading in "Worst Ending" section

And that's where I got stuck earlier. :sweat_smile: There were plot elements in Alice that I disliked (mostly that the whole "he's fated to kill his mother" thing just felt really random and like it was thrown in just for the sake of drama), but I liked the ending itself. And even if I did dislike that ending (or, at least, I understood why many viewers did), Alice is the only 2020 on that list that I actually watched (the other one was My Unfamiliar Family - which, by the way, was awesome). So I couldn't really say Alice had the best or worst of anything in 2020 :P I just know what I liked (great acting performances all around, great OST, etc.) and didn't.

25 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Yup, Joo won is leading by one vote against Kim Soo Hyun :grin:

Well, Kim Soo Hyun's shirtless scenes have been winners for as long as I could remember, so I wouldn't be surprised if he wound up taking this. Nor would I be begrudged by it :)

Alice got featured on a list of "12 Korean Dramas that Prove Age is just a Number" - While I would disagree with the author, who described Alice as a "noona romance", I do have to say that it does play around with characters' and actors' ages in ways that I've never seen before :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

Yup, Joo won is leading by one vote against Kim Soo Hyun :grin: Unfortunately his drama "Alice" is also leading in "Worst Ending" section :sweat_smile:

Talk about irony :lol:

I just came from there. While I didn't expect JW leading in his section because I thought many viewer passed on Alice but I definitely knew Alice is going to be the top on disappointed ending list. Can't blame because if the ending wasn't so disorganized the drama would have been a perfect drama experience for many without having to explain too much to people and with out having too many different POV. :eats2:

Hey, this is random but I just wanted to mention I love this :partyblob: reaction. So don't find it wired when I use it without context. :P

Also Joo Won commented on Gi Kyung Pyo's IG post.

"Drive Safely, Kyungpyo~"

ErMkj-vVgAANQhw?format=jpg&name=large

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/kokyungpyoth/status/1347460920373510145

Btw, I was hoping for movie 'Firefighter' release in January-February. But I guess now that covid alert is strong in Korea so it may take more time to get release. Considering the situation I don't see it getting released in January. Hoping for the best and the situation to get better.

ErNfRweVkAQLn1Y?format=jpg&name=medium

• Like 2
  • Blob 2
2 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Also Joo Won commented on Ki Kyung Pup's IG post.

I have no idea whether that was a typo or a nickname for Go Kyung Pyo I wasn't familiar with - either way, it's cute, and makes me think back to Yoo Il Rak for some reason :) 

While I didn't expect JW leading in his section because I thought many viewer passed on Alice but I definitely knew Alice is going to be the top on disappointed ending list. Can't blame because if the ending wasn't so disorganized the drama would have been a perfect drama experience for many without having to explain too much to people and with out having too many different POV. 

Yeah - In hindsight, I think Alice serves as a good example of a strong idea or concept, but poor execution. Like, I don't want to criticize the writing too harshly, knowing that JW himself was drawn to the script (and trying to judge his taste is going down a rabbit hole that I'd rather avoid), but the story did end up really disjointed and loose at times.

Again, it's the sort of thing I've come to expect in live shoot dramas (which have to constantly adapt in response to audience feedback, possible cuts or extensions, etc.), but not a pre-produced one. Especially not one that did such an awesome job in terms of its casting/acting, directing and production value.

Btw, I was hoping for movie 'Firefighter' release in January-February. But I guess now that covid alert is strong in Korea so it may take more time to get release. Considering the situation I don't see it getting released in January.

I don't know if the Korean movie industry has tried this, but many Hollywood films decided to release straight to streaming or on-demand services rather than in theatres. If so, then Firefighter can still keep with its original release date, whatever it is. But if not, a delay's not the end of the world: I'd rather it be held off until after COVID-19 when it could reach a full audience, than released at a time when restrictions are still in place or people have to risk their health to see it.

Hey, this is random but I just wanted to mention I love this *insert bouncing multicoloured blob* reaction. So don't find it wired when I use it without context.

Don't worry - I feel you :) It's so fun and happy and aegyo (for some bizarre reason I can't explain) that I feel like it's perfect for this forum

:partyblob:

• Blob 3
3 hours ago, kittyna said:
6 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Also Joo Won commented on Ki Kyung Pup's IG post.

I have no idea whether that was a typo or a nickname for Go Kyung Pyo I wasn't familiar with - either way, it's cute, and makes me think back to Yoo Il Rak for some reason :) 

Damn auto correct.. laughed out at my own typo due to auto correct.. :partyblob:

Don't worry - I feel you :) It's so fun and happy and aegyo (for some bizarre reason I can't explain) that I feel like it's perfect for this forum

Oh great.. true it's just gives a happy vibe.

Yeah - In hindsight, I think Alice serves as a good example of a strong idea or concept, but poor execution. Like, I don't want to criticize the writing too harshly, knowing that JW himself was drawn to the script (and trying to judge his taste is going down a rabbit hole that I'd rather avoid), but the story did end up really disjointed and loose at times.

Also we've to consider that Pre-production or ongoing actors usually don't get the full script as in FULL STORY. They may be usual get an overview of the story along with may be script of important scenes. I don't know the full details but surely they don't get full story, right? So I won't criticize JW's judgement for choosing Alice is because Alice did had a solid start with attractive story line and the two main character Yoon Tae Yi and Park Jingyeom might look attractive to people who like challenges because there's scope for versatile acting in both character. None who watched Alice denied it so far. Some people complained about the 2nd half and most people are confused what to truly conclude from ending other than the message given by the production at the ending, surely there's more. And I saw few people on twitter had praise for Alice regardless of the solid ending because over all the execution and acting of the drama was very solid. Even I have quite a few idea how the drama could have the most perfect striking ending.

But I'd rather not go deep in there.. And humbly accept it if people say Alice had weak ending.

Also I really had few interesting and refreshing things I really loved in Alice. Not many dramas had this humane side that Alice has tried to portrayed. So yeah I don't really mind Alice at all like how some JW fans are complaining it out there.

Among all JW dramas there's only one drama that I didn't like - 7th Grade Civil Servant. I think I got through that drama because Han Gil Ro was cute and adorkable there and majorly because Moon Jun Won was in Military. Yeah.. I watched it in 2018 when he was in Military, purposefully left this drama for this time so I can be less critical about it. I wouldn't criticize it too much because some people liked it and JW himself was once sulky in a fan meeting because his fans left out Han Gil Ro, cutely saying to his fans that he likes Han Gil Ro character very much because he was patriot. I forgot where I saw this tho. But this is a drama I would have given up at first 1/2 episodes if it's not Joo Won's. 

DbjyvOlVAAAVl6-?format=png&name=900x900

(Most of the time I was watching it had this expression at its comical side...)

DGwyltAU0AAj6y9?format=jpg&name=small

(I had overall this expression at how messy the storyline and characterization of the drama overall was...)

Sorry Joo Wona ~ Me still love you..:hooray2:

• Like 2
  • LOL 1
9 hours ago, flutterby06 said:

Also we've to consider that Pre-production or ongoing actors usually don't get the full script as in FULL STORY. They may be usual get an overview of the story along with may be script of important scenes. I don't know the full details but surely they don't get full story, right? So I won't criticize JW's judgement for choosing Alice is because Alice did had a solid start with attractive story line and the two main character Yoon Tae Yi and Park Jingyeom might look attractive to people who like challenges because there's scope for versatile acting in both character. None who watched Alice denied it so far. Some people complained about the 2nd half and most people are confused what to truly conclude from ending other than the message given by the production at the ending, surely there's more. And I saw few people on twitter had praise for Alice regardless of the solid ending because over all the execution and acting of the drama was very solid. Even I have quite a few idea how the drama could have the most perfect striking ending.

The overall story, I think, was solid. And I personally really liked the overall messages implied by the reset in the ending:

• You can't change the past, but you can make up for it. So if you regret something wrong you did in the past, it's never too late to start doing the right thing now.
  • Nobody's perfect - everyone's got darker and lighter traits in themselves. But if you take a fixed mindset (i.e. This is who I am; it's society's fault I'm like this, etc.) rather than a growth mindset (i.e. I'm always learning and there's always room for improvement) about our all-too-human greed, arrogance, or selfishness, they will fester and end up overshadowing our good traits.
  • Sometimes, the only way to do what's right and to grow as a human being is to destroy the toxic parts of ourselves

Most of the flaws I saw in the writing were in middle parts of the drama: the points when it felt like the mood/tone was going all over the place, or objects or characters that were set up to be important seemed to just get tossed aside and never spoken of again. But I have nothing against the general arc of the story, and could envision it as a more-or-less a finished product (maybe not a finalized script, but a story that's already been plotted out) by the time filming started.

By the way, in case anyone's wondering: my own experience writing fanfics (especially Seolleim in Salzburg, which is comparable to a drama in length) has, strangely enough, made me simultaneously more critical and more forgiving of the writing I see in dramas. More critical, because I can now actually say, "Okay, that doesn't seem to work - I would've done it like XYZ", but also more forgiving, because I now realize just how difficult it is to actually come up with the storyline for a 16-episode drama. Even if the writer(s) has a general idea how the story will end, there will be a gazillion points in the middle when they go, "Um, okay...how are we supposed to get there again???" - especially once characters start getting fleshed out enough to actually feel like real people and start going off-script :P 

So, I knew from the start that Alice's writers had their work cut out for them, and I do like some of the overarching themes/devices that were used to keep the story intact: strong influences from Oedipus, for example (in terms of the prophecy - both in its nature and its roundabout way of fulfilling itself via people's efforts to avoid it). But the mood whiplash throughout was really jarring and the various subplots were not as cohesive as I think they could have been.

Also I really had few interesting and refreshing things I really loved in Alice. Not many dramas had this humane side that Alice has tried to portrayed. So yeah I don't really mind Alice at all like how some JW fans are complaining it out there.

And also: nothing against the acting or directing here. I think both of those were solid for telling the stories the writers intended :thumbsup:

Among all JW dramas there's only one drama that I didn't like - 7th Grade Civil Servant. I think I got through that drama because Han Gil Ro was cute and adorkable there and majorly because Moon Jun Won was in Military. Yeah.. I watched it in 2018 when he was in Military, purposely left this drama for this time so I can be less critical about it. I wouldn't criticize it too much because some people liked it and JW himself was once sulky in a fan meeting because his fans left out Han Gil Ro, cutely saying to his fans that he likes Han Gil Ro character very much because he was patriot. I forgot where I saw this tho. But this is a drama I would have given up at first 1/2 episodes if it's not Joo Won's. 

lol - Level 7 Civil Servant is my least favourite out of JW's dramas, but my experience with it was really different from yours. It was actually one of my first JW dramas (and one of my first overall), so I didn't really go into it expecting much of anything. Itwas enjoyable as light-hearted entertainment, and had some interesting lessons about honesty (the main couple), family relationships (Han Gil Ro and his dad), the long-term effects of childhood trauma (the antagonists), how innocent people are exploited and sacrificed by governments and corporations, etc. I also thought that JW had some really solid acting moments there: that one devastated look on his face when Gil Ro caught Kim Seo Won in his father's office is still stuck in my head.

BUT here's the thing: I watched the Cantonese dub, not the original. And it was only well afterwards, when I stumbled across the Dramabeans recaps that I discovered that I had no memory of the more illogical moments with incompetent characters that viewers complained about. In hindsight, my guess is that in the process of sending the footage over to Hong Kong for dubbing, those moments had been completely cut out (Hong Kong television networks have different run times allotted than Korean networks, so episodes tend to get re-cut anyway). So...I somehow wound up with a "better" version of it? Maybe? I don't know; it's still a mystery, to be honest *shrugs*

So what was my overall impression of Level 7 Civil Servant - Cantonese edition? Good acting from JW, fun if you just want a laugh with the occasional heartwarming moment, but nothing particularly memorable. :P It's not the sort of drama I'd recommend or re-watch myself anytime soon, nor has it provided me any creative fic-writing fodder.

• Like 3
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]