Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

Calli

2 hours ago, partyon said:

I had only seen him in Nodame Cantabile and really didn’t care for his character in that one

Well, Rom-Com is really not Joo won's thing. Maybe he could do well in few comical scenes but he needs help from supporting cast members for the scene to achieve its comedy. But, Joo won really shines in action and melodrama roles(like, Yong-Pal and Good Doctor) and also, he has done a decent job in playing antagonist(like in Baker's King Kim Ta Ku drama and Sweet Sixteen Movie). So, except for Rom-Com(barring from few comedic roles), Joo won pretty much can take up any role thrown at him.

2 hours ago, partyon said:

but the story wasn’t really my cup of tea so dropped it after the first episode.

Yeah, story really ruined the drama. Lot of viewers were busy searching for answers instead of enjoying the show. And also, drama was plagued with plot holes and bad writing from the writers. Story had potential but it was ruined due to bad implementation

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Well, Rom-Com is really not Joo won's thing. Maybe he could do well in few comical scenes but he needs help from supporting cast members for the scene to achieve its comedy. But, Joo won really shines in action and melodrama roles(like, Yong-Pal and Good Doctor) and also, he has done a decent job in playing antagonist.

Oh, wow, I didn’t know that! With Nodame Cantabile I just assumed that it was because of how the character was written. But then again, I do remember watching the Japanese one and liked Chiaki a lot more in that one. Joo Won’s character was somehow overly harsh and unlikeable.

He was quite funny in Good Doctor so I just assumed that he has a knack for playing comedies. It really surprises me to hear comedies and rom-coms are not his thing. 

I think I should very much like to watch him in an action role or as an antagonist next. Which drama would you recommend the most?

Yeah, story really ruined the drama. Lot of viewers were busy searching for answers instead of enjoying the show. And also, drama was plagued with plot holes and bad writing from the writers. Story had potential but it was ruined due to bad implementation

I heard. Had many chingus who were watching it and I heard many complaints. It’s a pity because I really like the FL too and wanted to watch it :( 

In any case, if you have any good suggestions about a Joo Won antagonist or action role, please let me know.

I am in such a drama slump right now (keep dropping all new dramas that start airing), that it’s safer for me to watch older dramas.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

But, Joo won really shines in action and melodrama roles(like, Yong-Pal and Good Doctor) and also, he has done a decent job in playing antagonist(like in Baker's King Kim Ta Ku drama and Sweet Sixteen Movie). So, except for Rom-Com(barring from few comedic roles), Joo won pretty much can take up any role thrown at him.

4 hours ago, partyon said:

I think I should very much like to watch him in an action role or as an antagonist next. Which drama would you recommend the most?

I completely second @kireeti2 in recommending Yong Pal, especially since JW plays a doctor there as well, but in almost a complete 180 personality-wise from Good Doctor. Like, if Park Si On is this really cute and innocent fluffball, then Kim Tae Hyun (JW's lead character in Yong Pal) is this crass-talking, in-your-face "urban" type (he describes himself as "half a gangster", so you figure it out ;)). I will say in advance that the second half of Yong Pal shifts its focus quite heavily onto Kim Tae Hee's female lead and JW doesn't get as many quick-paced action scenes then - but that's also when his part shifts more into melo/drama in style, and I'd argue he holds his own as the show's moral compass then :) 

(FYI: in general, I tend to recommend Good Doctor and Yong Pal as the big "must watch" JW dramas. The others would depend on your style/preferences: Gaksital if you like action and dark melodrama, Ojakgyo Brothers if you prefer a more heartwarming long family drama, King of Baking Kim Tak Gu if you don't mind the makjang that was popular ten years ago, etc.)

Oh, wow, I didn’t know that! With Nodame Cantabile I just assumed that it was because of how the character was written. But then again, I do remember watching the Japanese one and liked Chiaki a lot more in that one. Joo Won’s character was somehow overly harsh and unlikeable.

I was holding off on responding to your initial comment about Nae Il's Cantabile until I knew what you didn't enjoy about JW's character. And yeah, that's fair criticism. I haven't watched the Japanese version, so I really can't compare, but Cha Yoo Jin does start off pretty unlikeable.

Also, rather than being generally weak in comedic roles, I'd say that JW works best in roles with a lot of character depth that he could sink his teeth into. Nae Il's Cantabile, as written, doesn't really provide that - I'm not sure about Chiaki, but Cha Yoo Jin is pretty much the tsundere poster child, and it may take a lot more work than just what the script provides to really make him come across as an actual human being :P 

People who've known me longer in this forum will know that despite its weaknesses, Nae Il's Cantabile is one of my favourites, so they might be surprised at my criticism here. However, my liking for it is mostly because I did actually end up finding Cha Yoo Jin's experiences relatable in some ways that would be personal or uniquely mine. So, most of my love for it (again, as longtime readers here would know) comes out in my massive series of sequel fanfics, where I hope to show how the initially more cartoonish characters might grow and mature over time. :) 

Well, Rom-Com is really not Joo won's thing. Maybe he could do well in few comical scenes but he needs help from supporting cast members for the scene to achieve its comedy

He was quite funny in Good Doctor so I just assumed that he has a knack for playing comedies. It really surprises me to hear comedies and rom-coms are not his thing. 

In terms of JW's comedy, Good Doctor really is the best from him, hands-down. Most of his other comic moments are of the "straight man" variety, where the humour comes in his deadpan reactions to something funny that's happening. So generally, slapstick aside, I'd describe his style in Nae Il's Cantabile that way, and there are similar scenes in Alice as well.

I heard. Had many chingus who were watching it and I heard many complaints. It’s a pity because I really like the FL too and wanted to watch it :( 

I enjoyed it while I was watching it, but in hindsight...I'd say that Alice is a pre-produced drama that strangely feels like a liveshoot drama in its storytelling and writing. Since it looks like you've been into Hallyu for a long time, @partyon, I'm sure you'll know what I mean ;) 

8 hours ago, partyon said:

The only actor thread I am a regular in is Choi Jin Hyuk oppa’s, so am really sorry that I barged in here without much knowledge about Joo Won.

By the way, there's no need to worry about that - this forum's usually quiet enough that I always appreciate a new face :approves:

I usually just hang out here (with the occasional poll/event participation, as you'd know ;)) but that's because despite liking a lot of actors and actresses for their work, I prefer to focus my time and attention on a single bias - and JW actually won out for me due to his personality more than his performance :) 

• Like 2
  • Insightful 1

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

In terms of JW's comedy, Good Doctor really is the best from him, hands-down.

That's because of the supporting cast members:sweat_smile:. Like I said earlier, joo won does well in comedic scene only if he has support from his fellow cast members. And by the way I feel like, out of all his fellow actors like (LMH and JCW) Joo won as edge when it comes to comedy, and versatility in acting. Of course, he has his own signature acting like playing multiple  roles like emotionally scared and apathetic towards others.

• Like 1
  • Blob 2

9 hours ago, partyon said:

In any case, if you have any good suggestions about a Joo Won antagonist or action role, please let me know.

I am in such a drama slump right now (keep dropping all new dramas that start airing), that it’s safer for me to watch older dramas.

Sorry I'm busy with family event so can't welcome you here along with Kireeti2 and Kittyna.. but it's good to see someone who enjoyed Good Doctor and thought to share it on here. Thanks a lot for coming here letting us know.

Joo won played a proper antagonist on his first TV role 'Baker King Kim Takgu'. It's fun if you don't dislike Makjang family type drama very much. It's makjang romance and family drama. It has its good and bad side but I saw many people enjoyed it including non Joo Won.

Gaksital/Bridal Mask is a action drama which is quite popular among most viewers. It's a drama that I want to recommend anyone who like KDrama regardless of genre preference. It's awesome. And can't tell much about JW's character because it can be somewhat spoiler.

Other than that Yong Pal. It's not really action drama but its an exciting drama. Joo Won got Daesang for it. 

I read above that you didn't like Tomorrow Cantabile so I won't recommend it. I would have if you're in mood for something light and cute.

For now that's all my recommendation.

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

That's because of the supporting cast members:sweat_smile:. Like I said earlier, joo won does well in comedic scene only if he has support from his fellow cast members. And by the way I feel like, out of all his fellow actors like (LMH and JCW) Joo won as edge when it comes to comedy, and versatility in acting. Of course, he has his own signature acting like playing multiple  roles like emotionally scared and apathetic towards others.

@kireeti2, let's not mention other actors initial. It may look like we're downgrading them which I'm sure not you're not. You're just expressing your honest opinion as a viewer of K-Drama. But their fan can misunderstood it. 

18 hours ago, kittyna said:

By the way, does anyone know what JW said in reply to Kim Hee Sun?

Joo won replied: You should've been there.

Other Sam from Musical Ghost Kim Woo Hyung also commented:

EqoXWanVQAEOYmE?format=jpg&name=medium

KWH: You're the best my brother.

JW: hehe ~ Hyung ( JW added a nickname for KWH probably).

• Like 1
  • Insightful 2
  • Thanks 1

And by the way I feel like, out of all his fellow actors like (LMH and JCW) Joo won as edge when it comes to comedy, and versatility in acting. Of course, he has his own signature acting like playing multiple  roles like emotionally scared and apathetic towards others.

1 hour ago, flutterby06 said:

let's not mention other actors initial. It may look like we're downgrading them which I'm sure not you're not. You're just expressing your honest opinion as a viewer of K-Drama. But their fan can misunderstood it. 

For me, I'd say that each actor and actress has their own strengths and weaknesses - and I'm in the weird position of being so unfamiliar with Lee Min Ho in particular that I honestly can't compare him with JW fairly.

However, that being said, I do want to second @flutterby06's concerns for a second. While I don't see a problem with comparison in and of itself, since it's such a common way for people to understand and interpret their world that it's pretty much inevitable, I do want to point out that - whether you meant it or not - you wound up referencing two actors whom I know have been compared with JW many times by his fans, sometimes with toxic results.

Spoiler

This is particularly the case when it comes to comparing JW with Lee Min Ho. It's hard not to, given that both starred recently in parallel universe dramas from SBS :P And I do still think that comparing The King: Eternal Monarch and Alice is fair game. However, I've seen enough instances over the years where - whether intentionally or not - JW fans wound up lifting him up by bashing LMH's acting specifically that, despite not knowing LMH as an actor at all, it left a bad taste in my mouth.

Long story short: because JW is something of an underdog among the more prominent Hallyu actors, we as JW's fans end up coming across as really salty, petty or jealous when we make comparative comments like that. I don't think that's what anyone is trying to do here, but it is important to be conscious that comments we make can be misinterpreted that way.

At the same time, though, @flutterby06, I think we should be careful about painting other actors' fandoms with a broad brush either. There are all sorts of personalities out there, so some people will inevitably be overly defensive to the point of toxicity, but I like to assume that we're mostly reasonable adults who could come together to discuss our love for K-drama as a whole. :thumbsup:

Actually, now that we've come to this topic of comparisons, I will confess that this is also why I was weirded out when I found out from you guys about the ratings for the SBS Drama Awards being highest during JW's speech. Like, I'm sure that no-one meant it as a dig at Namgoong Min's Daesang, but I was worried that it would be taken that way. lol - Maybe I should take my own advice for once :sweat_smile:

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kittyna said:

Long story short: because JW is something of an underdog among the more prominent Hallyu actors, we as JW's fans end up coming across as really salty, petty or jealous when we make comparative comments like that. I don't think that's what anyone is trying to do here, but it is important to be conscious that comments we make can be misinterpreted that way.

Frankly I don't see the problem comparing actors in general forum but as it's JW forum it's best to talk things that is related to JW. When we talk good about other actors it's not a major problem but things can be taken out of context when it seems like a critical opinion, even if it's very basic critical opinion. Yes.. not always.. but you never know.

Also I'm sure all of us here aren't just JW fans, we're KDrama fans too.. We don't just watch Joo Won drama, Do we? So comparison is bound to come when we have watched enough people's performance for long enough. Differences of opinion is bound to happen and people would like to share those on suitable platform too.

I have my criticism of some Hallyu actors too. So when it's done in a general thread I don't see the problem no matter how salty it looks like. Honestly many people aren't salty why JW isn't Hallyu when he is so good at acting. They look like salty when they point out some of the Hallyu actor aren't really performer still managed to be in focus because of popularity.

Also there are plenty of people who aren't biased about JW and have other major bias actor but they still quite honestly speak about how Joo Won's acting style is far better than many actors' of his age group. So it's kind of a fact among many KDrama viewers who has been watching KDrama for a long time.

At the same time, though, @flutterby06, I think we should be careful about painting other actors' fandoms with a broad brush either.

Will keep that in mind. Thanks for heads up.

Actually, now that we've come to this topic of comparisons, I will confess that this is also why I was weirded out when I found out from you guys about the ratings for the SBS Drama Awards being highest during JW's speech. Like, I'm sure that no-one meant it as a dig at Namgoong Min's Daesang, but I was worried that it would be taken that way. lol - Maybe I should take my own advice for once :sweat_smile:

It's not a news from 3rd party. Released by SBS about their best one minute. So it's not manipulated news so why're you so worried!

No one is trying to downplay NGM's moment because many knew either it's NGM or HSG who's getting SBS Daesang. But HSG didn't attend. So it automatically pointed towards NGM.

Anyways many people in Naver actually commented before PD award announced-why isn't hasn't JW gotten any award yet? People kind of expecting him to win something when his performance was for Alice was amazing regardless of how the drama ended. 

It was also a suspence for people whether he is attending or not. So when there's no news of JW attending nor any award for him many left comments in Naver. I saw screen shots somewhere but they are now buried below many post.

People only knew he joined when he wished Happy New Year on Tik Tok and I'm sure only JW fans knew about it.

Anyways sharing this cute video again..

Joo Won giving his comment to media-

• Like 3

Forgot if I shared it here. If I have let me do it again. It's a news of 21/12/2020.

In regards to JW's in general viewership I would like to share this ranking that came from Wavve which is VOD platform in South Korea.

EqAS72dVQAEY_Uk?format=jpg&name=small

They made a list of celebrity whose video content has most likes by the subscribers of Wavve in 2020. The liked video contents includes past works of those celebrities as well. Joo Won ranked 6th among the list of 20.

Let me give the list below in English:

1. BTS

2. Kim Soo Hyun

3. Kim Seon Ho

4. Ji Chang Wook & Kim Yoo Jung

5. Gong Yoo

6. Joo Won :heart:

7. Christopher Nolan

8. Bae Doona & Cho Seung Woo

9. Satomi Ishihara

10. Lee Min Ho

11. IU

12. Nam Goong Min

13. Jang Yak Yoon

14. Kang Dong Won

15. Kwon Sang Woo

16. Deng Lun

17. Kentaro

18. Kim Jae Hwan

19. Hwang Jeong Eum

20. Masaki Suda

News: http://m.slist.kr/news/ampArticleView.html?idxno=211706&__twitter_impression=true

This means Joo Won's viewer number increased after many people saw his performance in Alice. Well, of course some of his existing fans played some part but to be among top 10, I'm sure he gained a lot more of new interested viewers who are watching JW for the first time through Alice. And they are interested enough to look at his previous projects and like those contents. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for that list, @flutterby06! I haven't seen it before, but it's definitely interesting - and JW placed higher on it than I would have thought.

By the way, #16 (등륜)...I tried to just type it into Google to see what came up, and I wound up with a Chinese actor, Deng Lun. Technically, in hangeul (i.e. Korean script), his name should actually be 덩룬, so maybe 등륜 is a common Korean misspelling of the name or nickname or something. *shrugs*

Sort of like how JW is sometimes referred to as Moon Joo Won - fans will recognize that as a reference to him, but it's not his real name in any sense of the term ;) (It is for his Alice mini-me, though, so there's something :P) 

It's not a news from 3rd party. Released by SBS about their best one minute. So it's not manipulated news so why're you so worried!

I didn't think it was manipulated stats or anything - I was just like, "So...did people just turn off their TVs or switch to something else after JW's speech?" in the sense that I was worried people could misconstrue the ratings to mean that Namgoong Min got shafted by viewers or that JW stole the spotlight (completely unintentionally, of course, but that sort of controversy from netizens does happen).

Frankly I don't see the problem comparing actors in general forum but as it's JW forum it's best to talk things that is related to JW. When we talk good about other actors it's not a major problem but things can be taken out of context when it seems like a critical opinion, even if it's very basic critical opinion. Yes.. not always.. but you never know.

That's interesting - I actually see it the other way around. I tend to think that it's safer to make comparative comments on JW's own forum because it ends up being a bit more under the radar than in a general forum. Or, maybe I'm just way too used to the obsessive "My bias is the best!" side of the Hallyu fandom :P You know: when fans take anything other than glowing praise of their bias as an affront, blame their bias's co-stars for poor ratings, seem to think the only way to promote their bias is to step on other actors and their fans, etc.

But I've seen enough of JW's fandom here on Soompi to know that you guys are all reasonable when it comes to how much you like JW or enjoy his work. There's a respect and a willingness to think deeply and critically here that I don't find much elsewhere on Hallyu fandom social media, so kudos :approves:

• Like 3

10 hours ago, kittyna said:

By the way, #16 (등륜)...I tried to just type it into Google to see what came up, and I wound up with a Chinese actor, Deng Lun. Technically, in hangeul (i.e. Korean script), his name should actually be 덩룬, so maybe 등륜 is a common Korean misspelling of the name or nickname or something. *shrugs*

Edited my original post with Deng Lun's name. Thanks.

Also I'm not sure how much popular local video on demand platforms are in South Korea or acceptability of Wavve in general. So can't say it represent a large numbe of people but still is good a indicator for young generations's interest at a certain time period because VOD platforms are usually popular among young any young adults. I've seen some SBS dramas are promoted on Wavve Alice was one of them.

For example I saw quite a lot of new account in twitter JW fans. Can't say all of them are new fans or just old fans who felt like opening a Twitter account but when Alice ended they started sharing many things from his past works. From the caption it seemed like some of them are watching those dramas for the first time. Also there were some caption that felt like they're just rewatching his previous works.

EqZ---EU0AEPP5Y?format=jpg&name=large

EqAlqVkUUAQDfip?format=jpg&name=small

EqA1XgfVgAIDtD1?format=jpg&name=small

These pictures shared recently by them seems to be taken from VOD platforms.

• Like 3

As new COVID-19 restrictions in South Korea are extended, the suspension of Ghost performances has been extended, too. Right now, performances are expected to resume on Jan. 19 until further notice.

I know that might be disappointing to fans and those who have already booked tickets - and obviously to the cast and crew - but I do notice that that gives JW more than the full 14 days of recommended self-monitoring for possible infection after the SBS Drama Awards. So here's hoping he uses this time to rest, recharge, and just generally take care of himself :approves:

On a happier note, here are gifts that JW received from fans to celebrate his award!

Chocolate cookies and baked corn almonds

A celebratory bouquet

• Insightful 2

On 1/2/2021 at 4:10 AM, kittyna said:

omeone in the comments on this post also pointed out that Choi Kang Hee received an award that night, too - which would have wound up with an even cuter three-way

Also, there was another reunion which we missed. Kim Hyun Soon from Good Doctor has also won award for her Pent House drama performance. It would have been nice to see these two reunion as well. :blush:

• Like 1
  • Awesome 2

3 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Also, there was another reunion which we missed. Kim Hyun Soon from Good Doctor has also won award for her Pent House drama performance. It would have been nice to see these two reunion as well.

Not to mention that both JW and Kim Hyun Soo were in Gaksital - even though they didn't actually get any direct screen time together. ;) 

• Like 3

Just throwing out a quick interactive/prompt here for anyone who wants it - since, again, things will probably be quiet re: updates from JW for the next bit.

As you guys know, many people like to start off the new year with some sort of resolution. I personally don't have that habit myself, but that did make me wonder: what New Year's resolutions  would the JW drama guys and girls make? And would they succeed in keeping them?

Of course, answers don't have to be for 2021 specifically :P That would be rather impossible given how unusual the 2020/2021 transition has been for everyone. But just generally speaking, what sorts of goals do you think these characters would set for themselves at the beginning of the year?

• Like 2

So, I don't actually have ideas for all the characters yet, but here's what I've imagined so far for New Year's resolutions:

Gu Ma Jun + Shin Yu Kyung - This would be a joint resolution: actively making time to spend together. When we left them in the drama, the biggest goal on both of their minds seemed to be repairing their relationship, so I do think this is the general direction they'd take. For something more specific...maybe a promise to have a proper "date" once every two weeks, or something like that. (I did consider counselling, but I don't know how available that was in Korea in the 1980s :P)

Hwang Tae Hui - Learning something new, most likely in relation with his job. We see him looking into taking courses in the States while Ja Eun does her internship, so that's my inspiration here. Given that he's already a detective - and he'd be more interested in learning something practical/useful rather than just for knowledge's sake - I actually could see him going into criminal psychology.

Baek Ja Eun - Improving her cooking skills, whether on her own with Tae Hui (in the States), or by learning from her mother- and sisters-in-law. lol - Actually, if it's the latter, I could imagine both Ja Eun and Cha Soo Young trying to learn like that. ;) 

Park Si On - I could think of two: being more assertive/confident, and being a better boyfriend. To be clear, I do think that Cha Yoon Seo believes he's fine as he is, but I could see him wanting to learn to express his feelings for her in a more direct manner: things like remembering special dates and milestones in their relationship, trying to actually initiate a date for once, etc. As for being more assertive, it's about trying to state his opinion calmly but firmly, even in a stressful situation.

Cha Yoon Seo - Starting (or completing - depends where she is) a research project. Since she's a research fellow in the hospital, I just see this as an extension of what she already does.

Cha Yoo Jin - Taking a more active role in his self care. Rather than any practical skill (music-related or otherwise), Yoo Jin's mental health is the thing I think he'd struggle with most; while his relationships with Nae Il and their friends would help a lot with that (since he can't just withdraw into himself anymore), the perfectionistic standards he holds for himself in said relationships could also lead to a lot of unnecessary stress and anxiety. So even if he doesn't make this resolution himself, I imagine that Nae Il would sit him down and make sure he incorporates some sort of healthy daily habit (e.g. meditation, journaling, etc.) into his routine or cuts back on unhealthy ones.

Seol Nae Il - Again, if she doesn't do this herself, Yoo Jin would suggest it: getting organized. Nae Il is the quintessential "Type B" personality, who likes to just take things as they come. However, as she starts her performance career in earnest, she needs to get on top of all the logistics, planning, and scheduling that come with that. So, with Yoo Jin's guidance, I think she would focus on, say, keeping her room/desk tidy on her own, getting a daily or monthly planner and actually using it, etc.

Kim Tae Hyun - Cutting back on the language :P This is partially inspired by my own sequel-esque fanfics (where Yeo Jin sets a "swear jar" penalty for him), but long story short, the way that Tae Hyun used to speak to his friends and family isn't really going to cut it anymore now that he's married to Yeo Jin ;) Even if he doesn't care about his own image (he doesn't), he still needs to take hers into consideration, and while he's definitely more than capable to use a more formal/polite register in public (like he does with his patients), he still tends to slip up when he's at home.

Han Yeo Jin - Getting back into shape. Here, I'm inspired by the fact that she's still a recovering convalescent in many ways, so if she wants to be able to handle the increased workload of being Hanshin's Chairwoman, she needs to focus on improving her overall health and stamina.

That's what I've got so far - still brainstorming for the Alice characters, and I'm drawing blanks on the remainder (GaksitalLevel 7 Civil ServantMy Sassy Girl).

• LOL 2

On 1/5/2021 at 7:48 AM, kittyna said:

what New Year's resolutions  would the JW drama guys and girls make? And would they succeed in keeping them?

Ku Ma Jun- His resolution will be something like, try to be more kind and understanding towards others but he eventually he will fail to keep it and gets back to his normal self

Shin Yu-Kyung- Her resolution is something like similar to Ku Ma Jun but it's more like she wants to be more understanding of Ku Ma Jun

Hwang Tae Hee- It's more like a forced resolution, like, Baek Ja Eun will force him to take a resolution like stay away from danger and spend more time with her

Baek Ja Eun- Well, given her passionate nature she will have lot of resolution like getting good at cooking, farming etc. Her resolution sort of aligns in helping Park Bok Ja

Han Gil Ro- Well, his resolution will be like, to be more responsible in personal life and in relationship with Kim Seo Won

Kim Seo Won- She sort of perfect and in my personal opinion she doesn't need or doesn't like this resolution stuff, since if she wants to change something about her she can do it right away and doesn't need a new year resolution

Park Si-On- His resolution is something like, wants to get better at picking up social cues and learn cooking (like I feel like he would like to cook a delicious meal for his mother or Cha Yoon Seo on their respect birthdays as a gift or a part of celebration)

Cha Yoo Seo- Her resolution is to drink less and have healthy diet

Cha Yoo-Jin- I think his resolution will be to scold Nae-il as little as possible for her mischief

Nae-il- To cause less trouble for Cha Yoo Jin and she will fail miserably at it

Kim Tae-Hyun- To spend more time with Han Yeo-Jin and get his specialization(it is more like professional resolution but it is a resolution after all)

Han Yeo Jin- To be less scary towards her subordinates and staff members

Park Jin-Gyeom- Well, he is a sort of guy who does believe in these kinds of stuff but will have promise himself to protect everyone that he cares about(since he lost Detective Go he wouldn't want to loose others)

Kim Do-Yeon- Make Park Jin-Gyeom fall for her (Like Nae-Il she'll also fail miserably)

Yoon Tae-Yin(2020)- She pretty much perfect the way she is and I don't see any requirement for her, just like in case of Kim Seo Won

27 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Kim Tae Hyun - Cutting back on the language

I thought this resolution for Cha Yoon Seo but eventually dropped it :P

28 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Baek Ja Eun - Improving her cooking skills,

Lol, I guess he both remember how Hwang Tae Hee reluctantly ate all the food she made for him, must have left bad taste in his mouth :joy:

29 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Park Si On - I could think of two: being more assertive/confident, and being a better boyfriend

I sort of dropped the boyfriend thing, since it sounded like inappropriate for me talk on a subject how to be better boyfriend. Like, everyone has their own way of expressing, so, I dropped it due to too much generalization

32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Cha Yoon Seo - Starting (or completing - depends where she is) a research project

She as to cut back on drinking if she wants to start another project,so, I think the resolution I proposed it complementary to yours :joy:

33 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Han Yeo Jin - Getting back into shape. Here,

This one I did not think of. When saw the sentence "Getting back into shape", I sort of assumed it from the pregnancy, like she did took time off in real world after pregnancy. It does makes sense, since she is like a patient throughout the series and went through a massive surgery in the end, so, she does need strong resolution to gain her health and strength

• LOL 2

lol - It looks like we were writing our respective answers simultaneously, and wound up with two completely different lists :P 

24 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Han Gil Ro- Well, his resolution will be like, to be more responsible in personal life and in relationship with Kim Seo Won

Okay, I like this one ;) And it gives me an idea for my own answer for him:

Han Gil Ro - Curbing his spending. He's the typical chaebol heir in that he just tends to throw his money around - or, when he does save up, it's for some sort of luxury toy (e.g. a new sports car) rather than anything practical. So I think that either Kim Seo Won would push him to be more cautious about how he manages his funds, or he'll realize it the hard way when he overdrafts on his bank account (although government jobs allow for steady income, it's also not much ;)).

35 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Cha Yoo-Jin- I think his resolution will be to scold Nae-il as little as possible for her mischief

Seeing these side-by-side with mine, it just hit me how much I was drawing off my own Seolleim in Salzburg fanfic series rather than the drama itself :P 

37 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

I thought this resolution for Cha Yoon Seo but eventually dropped it :P

lol - And now you're making me imagine a department-wide swear tally, where the loser has to treat the team to dinner at the end of each month. And half the time, Cha Yoon Seo's the loser, and the other half...Kim Do Han is :lol:

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Cha Yoon Seo's the loser, and the other half...Kim Do Han is

Now that you mention it , I think cha yoon seo learned swearing from Kim Do Han. And even though she tried to teach Park Si-On to swear , he ended up making joke out of it

11 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Han Gil Ro - Curbing his spending. 

Well, it will be difficult when Kim Seo won's brother is around. He will probably the main reason for the breaking of Han Gil Ro's resolution of not spending too much

13 minutes ago, kittyna said:

two completely different lists :P 

I think there are similarities,like, Baek Ja Run cooking resolution and Park Si-On's resolution of getting better at social interaction

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Now that you mention it , I think cha yoon seo learned swearing from Kim Do Han. And even though she tried to teach Park Si-On to swear , he ended up making joke out of it

Speaking of Park Si On, another possibility is that he'd have this really weird threshold for himself in terms of what counts as swearing. Like, he would add to his tally whenever he scolded Park Woong Ki or something, and then Cha Yoon Seo would always have to go to that part of the whiteboard and erase it :P And then Si On would be all like, "But I was angry", and she'd answer, "I know - but it's still not swearing."

2 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Just want to come back to this one for a second, because now that you mention it, I could also see Nae Il resolving to help out more around the house, thinking that would make things easier for Yoo Jin...except she never quite does it to his standard, which just leads them right back to square one :P 

Speaking of Nae Il and Yoo Jin - I don't know if anyone here has heard of the new "aesthetics" (e.g. dark/light academia, cottagecore, etc.) that have cropped up on places like Instagram over the course of 2020. There's nothing really new about them save for the label, but I managed to stumble across this explanation of what the "dark academia" style would look like on guys (here's a quick run-down of what interests and behaviours that term even entails), and...yep, looks like I just found Yoo Jin's aesthetic in a nutshell ;) 

And last but not least, I'm here with my guesses on the Alice cast's New Year's Resolutions. Note that because all the timelines, parallel versions, etc. can get really confusing, I'm actually setting these before the main action of the drama.

Park Jin Gyeom - He's not the sort of person who'd do this for himself (since his one main goal in life is to solve his mother's murder), but I think Kim Do Yeon would push him to consider spending more time with his friends/colleagues outside of work. So, for example, actually hanging out with her or his team in a social context, calling or visiting Captain Go's wife at least once a week, etc.

Kim Do Yeon - Probably something related to her profession (not sure what, though), or maybe traveling to a place on her bucket list. It did cross my mind to do something linked to her relationship with Jin Gyeom, but there's not much beyond what she already does that wouldn't end up crossing a line (i.e. it doesn't feel right for me to have one person set a goal that's contingent on another person's feelings or consent).

Yoon Tae Yi (2020) - It depends on her mood. If she's just, "Yeah, whatever" about it, I imagine she'd say losing weight (she's the only one out of the JW drama female leads to actually comment on this explicitly). But if she was more serious about it, I think she'd want something related to her research, such as getting a new journal article or conference paper published

Cute SBS Drama Awards fanart

• Like 2

• partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]