Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]

And here I am with the sole Preview/Teaser for this year's Christmas Special - which means that, yes, you'll finally know which drama it's for ;) 

Spoiler

Nurse Nam watches closely as I enter the stats from my latest set of rounds into the system. “Is there anything new I need to be aware of?”

I shake my head, smiling in relief. “Ani. Just the same old. I know it’s probably asking too much for things to stay that way,” I add, “but so long as we don’t have any major emergencies, we should actually have time to discuss the party today.”

As two of the nurses silently cheer my announcement, Nurse Nam also lets out a chuckle. “I guess it’ll be a big one this year.”

“It’ll have to be,” I answer brightly. “Especially since Santa Express did so well this year.” A pause. “Mind you, I do know that charity fundraisers tend to do better one year to the next, but it’s still good to see the numbers going up.”

She offers me a sympathetic smile. “That’s what Park Si On Seonsaeng said earlier – rather more enthusiastically than you just did, but the gist was much the same.”

The mental image of my boyfriend doing just that makes me laugh. “He would, wouldn’t he…” I muse softly to myself. Then, to the nurses, I ask, “How long ago was he here?”

“Twenty minutes, maybe?” a junior nurse offers. “He didn’t stay long, though.”

“Knowing him,” her companion adds, “he’s probably gone to visit Jae Hee again.”

Rationally, I know she meant it as good news, but I can’t help but go still at the mention of my niece. Slowly, the smile melts from my face, a shift that Nurse Nam picks up on immediately.

“Go ahead, Cha Seonsaeng; we’ll hold the fort here.” Her smile, warm as it always has been, softens further into something almost maternal. “I know we all say we don’t have favourites among the patients, but….”

She trails off without finishing her sentence, but I understand. “Komawo,” I answer, finally smiling in relief as I scramble to log off the computer. “If anyone asks for me, you know where to send them.”

Nodding a quick goodbye to the nurses, I head in the opposite direction from the pre-surgery wing of our pediatrics ward for the corridor that leads to the second of our major departments: pediatric oncology. From the outside, there’s nothing really to suggest that this hallway is any different from my usual one; but as I pass one sickroom after another, I force myself to just look straight ahead lest I feel once again that telltale lump in my throat.

It’s just never felt right, pediatric cancer. Of course, in a perfect world, no childhood disease serious enough to warrant hospitalization should exist. But at least on our side, in the surgical wing, it’s usually something from the outside – an accident, a pathogen, a chemical – that makes kids sick. Here, though, it’s the child’s own body attacking itself; and that’s…that’s just wrong.

And Cha Jae Hee, my Oppa’s seven-year-old daughter – the brightest, liveliest, and most beautiful little girl I know, who deserves so much better – is one of them: here undergoing her first round of intensive chemotherapy for leukemia.

I know the odds are in her favour; many kids in her situation eventually make a full recovery. But she’s still got a long, tough road ahead of her – and, well, if there’s anything I could do to help….

Soon, I get to the right room, close to the end of the hall. Painted with the same cheery yellow as the rest of the ward, it looks strangely bright compared to what’s going on inside.

Just the other day, together with my brother and sister-in-law, we made the painful choice to crop Jae Hee’s long hair short. She didn’t want us to, of course; sobbing that she’d end up looking like a boy; but considering that the alternative of seeing it come out in clumps once her chemo really kicks in would probably be ten times more traumatizing, we went ahead with it anyway.

I pause just a few paces away from the door, taking a deep breath and forcing a smile onto my face. Today is the first time I will be seeing Jae Hee post-haircut. Even though I know what to expect, I need to be careful not to let any hint of surprise show in my expression. Jae Hee’s going to have a hard enough time adjusting to her new look without us grown-ups making things worse.

“Jinjja? Santa will really come here to see me?”

I freeze, hand hovering just over the doorframe. My niece sounds just as bright and cheerful as always, almost like the events from yesterday never happened.

“Ne,” I hear Park Si On answer. “Santa Harabeoji is very, very smart. Always, always he is watching to see who is good and who is bad. And when he sees, Jae Hee-yah, that all the children in this hospital are so, so good and so, so brave, he will come over – bbali, bbali – as soon as he can.”

My niece bursts into giggles. “‘Bbali, bbali’?” she laughs, amused at his signature catchphrase. “How fast is that?”

I press my hand to my mouth to suppress a laugh of my own as Si On hums to himself in thought. I can’t actually see him from this angle, but considering how loudly he’s doing it, he’s probably scratching his head, bouncing his knee, or both. Whichever it is, it makes Jae Hee break into yet another set of giggles.

“Um…um….” It takes him a moment longer before he starts to answer. “Well…the entire surface of the earth is approximately 510 million square kilometres, of which 29 percent is actually land.” As he becomes more confident with his response, his voice grows stronger and his words speed up. “That brings us to about 148 million square kilometres, but scientists say that only 63.7 million of those can be lived on by people.”

Only Park Si On would be so weird as to go into so much detail with a seven-year-old. But a slight sideways shift to bring them both into view shows that rather than looking bored, Jae Hee is sitting up straight, hanging onto his every word.

“So, Jae Hee-yah,” he continues, “if we assume that Santa Harabeoji has to visit all the good children in the world, then that means he has to travel at–”

Suddenly, just as quickly as he’d started, he cuts himself off. It seems that he’s finally come to a point where he is not yet sure about his mental calculations.

My niece leans forward. “Eh?”

Si On’s leg starts to bounce. “Travel at…” he mumbles, half to himself and half to her. “Travel at….”

“Just give it up already, Park Si On,” I say, finally stepping into the room to intervene before his head explodes. “Your strong suit was always in biology rather than physics.”

:Viki-Soompi-Winter-Gift-Emoji:

And there you have it :) I know some of you guys have wanted me to revisit this drama for a while, so you'll get your wish this Christmas

• Like 2
  • Replies 57.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• coolreborn

• stearly

• mrdimples

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Joowon cries... I cry too~ All the hardships and happiness that we went through together the past couple of years... It has been a roller-coaster ride being in this fandom. Joowon has had to work so h

Hai girls! Sorry I've been out of it for the past couple of days. I didnt have time to go to soompi, hadnt even back-tracked the pages since Saturday and my phone takes the longest time ever to upload

The reason why JW was bending down and looking at the man. Cr as tagged. Many asked me why I like JW and why I like him for so long?  THIS. Plus his acting. 

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

he will come over – bbali, bbali

:lol: It never gets old

8 hours ago, kittyna said:

And here I am with the sole Preview/Teaser for this year's Christmas Special - which means that, yes, you'll finally know which drama it's for

Overall, the preview was heartwarming and has a solid story line. I like it how you made the patient close to Cha Yoon Seon, it brings lot of shades in her character. Like, I found her character to be limited in actual drama, where she is an upright doctor who always try to tend to not only physical but also emotional needs of the patients. Here I got to see her other side, like how she is worried about her niece like an aunt, and also, we never get to see her family in the drama, so this brings some freshness in her character. And Park Si-on's explanations were hilarious and spot on, I get totally imagine him giving such kind of explanation about the Santa and earth and also, I like how you portrayed Cha Yoon Seon's niece as a sweet good who is really interested in knowing new things instead of making her annoyed by the details, something tells me that she looks up to her Aunt and wants be a doctor  like her.

Finally, thanks for this fan fiction:approves:, it really was like a Christmas present:omg:, because I am always craving for  "Good Doctor"  fan fictions ever since I have completed the drama, like, read almost all the Fan Fiction that are there on the internet. I am really looking forward to read the whole story :sparklyeyes:

By the way, I found this comment in Asianwiki of "Alice" drama, which sort of answers all my questions about the drama in detail. Name of the account: "Lotlot96".

Spoiler!!!

To offer you guys a little help,

1. Omega in math means the first of all, close to nothing, so it explains why Tae Yi is the only with an omega mark, because she invented the time travel and is the first one or original of all the time travelers.

2. 2050 people who time traveled to the past get the sigma mark. Sigma means summation, or the sum of all. So to denote which one is from the future, they will get sigma mark, since they are the summation of all the years their past lives have lived.

3. Why did Jingyeom still exist after the reset? Because time travel wasn't totally erased. Only the events from 2010 on wards, starting from when his mother was murdered. That's why his present altered. As to why he remembered present Tae Yi, deja-vu happened. Meaning, other parallel universe memories got into him. Note that only his universe got a reset and not the other parallel universes. Also note that Tae Yi came from another parallel universe, not exactly from their timeline.

4. Why does Tae Yi remember everything? Because she's the omega, the mother of all, she's the creator written in the "book of prophecies". She's untouchable. Reset won't apply to her as she already met another version of herself in 1992.

5. Where is Minhyuk and others? Probably in their universe, but not in this timeline.

6. So if Tae Yi from 2050 is still alive, does it mean there are 2 Tae Yi's in the present? Yes, probably, but take note that Jin Gyeom's mother wasn't shown in the last scenes. So we're not sure if she died after some time or if his mother was also altered as a result of the reset.

7. Time travelers won't be able to come to their time line if present Tae Yi will not invent it. There will be no way to enter and exit their universe, so they are safe from their parallel universe selves.

8. Last scenes doesn't really imply to them being lovers. They were just simply connected and attract each other. Their feelings for each other go beyond the definition of lovers. I still believe Jin Gyeom and Do Yeon will end up with each other

• Like 2
40 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Overall, the preview was heartwarming and has a solid story line. I like it how you made the patient close to Cha Yoon Seon, it brings lot of shades in her character. Like, I found her character to be limited in actual drama, where she is an upright doctor who always try to tend to not only physical but also emotional needs of the patients. Here I got to see her other side, like how she is worried about her niece like an aunt, and also, we never get to see her family in the drama, so this brings some freshness in her character.

I glad you like it so far :) It's true that we don't see much of the characters' lives outside of the hospital in Good Doctor. Of course, it's understandable, given just how much happens there (and the long shifts that resident doctors have anyway), but we tend to forget that they do have lives beyond work. And Cha Yoon Seo's one of the characters I particularly enjoy fleshing out like this.

In truth, I don't remember if the drama mentions anything about her background or her family. Just about everything I've come up with so far is actually inspired by Moon Chae Won herself: her growing up outside of Seoul (MCW's from Daegu), her being from a Catholic family (MCW is actually Catholic, and Yoon Seo does mention going to church when she was younger), and her having a brother (I thought he was older at first, but now I'm not sure). There are going to be some key differences, of course. Most notably, I have no idea how Moon Chae Won views religion, but I do have Cha Yoon Seo as something of an atheist in my fics, much to her mother's chagrin :P And, of course, I don't know anything about extended family, nieces/nephews, etc.

But yeah, I actually get a whole ton of freedom here, which means most of what you see is really from my own imagination and may not be what the drama's writers intended.

By the way, I found this comment in Asianwiki of "Alice" drama, which sort of answers all my questions about the drama in detail. Name of the account: "Lotlot96".

I have to say that I hadn't thought much of the significance behind Omega and Sigma (although my impression was that Omega meant "the last" - like in the scriptural, "I am the Alpha and the Omega").

However, it's interesting to see that this fan and I came to the same conclusions re: the imperfect reset (i.e. 2010 as the branching off point, and how the end of time travel just means an inability to travel between parallel universes - while those universes all still continue to exist), and the characters' relationships. :) 

[EDIT]

And Park Si-on's explanations were hilarious and spot on, I get totally imagine him giving such kind of explanation about the Santa and earth

By the way, if you liked this, I think you'll also find the actual reason why Park Si On stopped himself to be pretty funny as well :P You'll find that out in the finished fic ;) 

• Like 2
29 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I've come up with so far is actually inspired by Moon Chae Won herself: her growing up outside of Seoul (MCW's from Daegu), her being from a Catholic family (MCW is actually Catholic, and Yoon Seo does mention going to church when she was younger), and her having a brother (I thought he was older at first, but now I'm not sure)

Oh, now I remember reading about it, like, I sort recall that she did mention about her mother. And that's why in the Fan Fiction the relationship with her niece was organic,like, it did gave impression like a forced one  :blush:

32 minutes ago, kittyna said:

By the way, if you liked this, I think you'll also find the actual reason why Park Si On stopped himself to be pretty funny as well :P You'll find that out in the finished fic

Oh really!! It would be fun to read. But, let me guess, it was something Cha Yoon Seo said about  going  too detail about science stuff with the patients or he had a similar kind of conversation with Cha Yoon Seo's family members and she sort of gave him advice not to go too deep with his explanation or Kim Do Han might have scolded him for wasting patients time by explaining things with unnecessary facts :lol:

• LOL 2
8 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

Oh, now I remember reading about it, like, I sort recall that she did mention about her mother. And that's why in the Fan Fiction the relationship with her niece was organic,like, it did gave impression like a forced one  :blush:

Yeah. We don't get much from Cha Yoon Seo's mother in the drama - except for whenever she calls to nag her daughter to just start dating already :P - so I personally added Yoon Seo's possible lack of church attendance to the list of things they'd bicker about.

By the way, I'm a bit confused by your second sentence: "that's why in the fan fiction the relationship with her niece was organic, like, it did gave impression like a forced one". I would think that a relationship feeling "organic" and "forced" would be very different things, so...help, please :unsure:

Oh really!! It would be fun to read. But, let me guess, it was something Cha Yoon Seo said about  going  too detail about science stuff with the patients or he had a similar kind of conversation with Cha Yoon Seo's family members and she sort of gave him advice not to go too deep with his explanation or Kim Do Han might have scolded him for wasting patients time by explaining things with unnecessary facts :lol:

No to any of those - but it does have something to do with Si On's scientific mind ;) 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kittyna said:

I would think that a relationship feeling "organic" and "forced" would be very different things, so...help, please

What I meant was, it felt natural, I mean I could feel that Cha Yoon Seo is genuinely worried as an aunt, like I could sense the chemistry between Cha Yoon Seo and her niece. Like, we can see in few dramas where relationship between two characters really doesn't feel right.

No to any of those - but it does have something to do with Si On's scientific mind ;) 

You mean ,like in the first episode introduction scene where he to blurred  out all the scientific facts?

• Like 2
11 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

What I meant was, it felt natural, I mean I could feel that Cha Yoon Seo is genuinely worried as an aunt, like I could sense the chemistry between Cha Yoon Seo and her niece. Like, we can see in few dramas where relationship between two characters really doesn't feel right.

I see.... That's very high praise, actually, and I'm not sure what to say to that :sweat_smile: I mean, I try my best, but it's definitely surprising to hear that you think it came out better than some relationships from dramas themselves.... :bashful:

• Like 2

Message of support from JW and many other actors (including some familiar faces if you know JW's oeuvre ;)), to mark the conclusion of an film festival for independent movies hosted by the Gyeonggi Film Commission.

And someone made this chart, which summarizes all of JW's roles from 2010 until now in theatre, television, and film. From this, it seems that we still don't know officially the name of the character he plays in Firefighter.

• Like 2
On 12/13/2020 at 10:56 AM, kireeti2 said:

You mean ,like in the first episode introduction scene where he to blurred  out all the scientific facts?

You know what? Since things are still quiet re: JW updates and the answer's actually not all that spoiler-y for the fic as a whole, here you go. Just a quick note on context: Si On and Yoon Seo are already back in their office/common room at this point, so no kids are around ;) 

Spoiler

“Gwenchansumnida, Seonsaengnim,” he says evenly. “I know that I should not say anything that could ruin Jae Hee’s belief in Santa.” His mouth sets into a small grim line and, for once, he actually looks me straight in the eye. “When children are young, and there are so many scary things in the world, they must hold on to any hope that they still have left.”

With that point settled, he returns to his work, which is my signal to do the same. I head over to my desk, opening up the Internet browser before I’ve even sat down. Several minutes later, as I’m firing off a quick e-mail to the editor for the journal I’m working on a submission for, I hear Si On sidling up next to me.

“Wae?”

Even though he’s the one who came over first, he doesn’t speak up until I actually finish what I’m doing and turn around to face him. In true Si On fashion, he picks up our conversation as though he didn’t abruptly end it himself a while ago: “That…that was not the only time I tried to be careful, Seonsaengnim.”

I look him once over, taking note of the way he’s wringing his hands, eyes wide like those of a puppy seeking approval from its owner. “What do you mean?”

“When Jae Hee asked me about Santa Harabeoji,” he explains, “I did not tell her the truth.”

“Which is…?”

“That according to the laws of physics, in order for Santa Harabeoji to cover the Earth’s entire landmass in a single night, even if he actually has more than twenty-four hours because of time zone differences, his sleigh would still have to travel at close to 3,367 kilometres per second, which is completely physically impossible. And even if it were possible, the massive frictional and gravitational forces exerted on Santa and his reindeer by such massive acceleration would be enough to practically liquefy–”

“Ya!”

My outburst is followed immediately by a loud thud as Woong Ki, startled, drops his book on the floor. He gapes at the two of us, his large eyes growing as round as his thick-rimmed glasses. As for Si On, it takes an awkward heavy silence for him to realize his mistake, but once he does, he immediately starts backpedaling.

“Joe-joesonghamnida, Seonsaengnim,” he stammers, edging away from me towards the door as I start to rise. “Wha-what I meant was–”

A second cry from me sends him running, and by the time I reach the doorway myself, he’s so far down the hall that I have little choice but to yell after him:

“Ya, Park Si On! You know I’m never gonna be able to un-see that, right?!”

Moral of the story: if you still want to believe in Santa Claus, don't ask Park Si On about the science behind his trek :lol:

• Thanks 2
10 hours ago, kittyna said:

Moral of the story: if you still want to believe in Santa Claus, don't ask Park Si On about the science behind his trek 

Lol, he literally put an image of Santa Claus melting or liquefied due to the speed at which he travels. By the way, I am curious from where did you get  or rather  how did you calculate the speed with which Santa should travel in order to cover the earth :smiley: You know, cause the speed is 10 times faster than sound :scream: and I read is it somewhere that speed required to travel around the world in one day is 1,669 per hour(Yes, I am aware that Santa needs to drink the milk, eat the cookies that has been placed for him and check the list for the naughty kids before placing the present but 3,367 per second seems to be overkill, can we at  least bring it down to at least 2500 km/hr it is still approximately 3 time the speed of sound) . Sorry for nitpicking I was just curious and the speed seemed exaggerating and it felt like it is impossible even for Santa to pull it off :sweat_smile: I know that I was the one who forced your hand to reveal the reason behind why Si-On should not be the one to be talking about or explaining about fairy tales to kids and here I am nitpicking the details :sweat_smile:

10 hours ago, kittyna said:

ic as a whole, here you go. Just a quick note on context: Si On and Yoon Seo are already back in their office/common room at this point, so no kids are around

It almost felt like the scene from the drama where they discuss about the Heave and consequently come to the "Heaven's Door" conclusion. But this one is a bit darker :sweat_smile:

• Like 2
1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

Lol, he literally put an image of Santa Claus melting or liquefied due to the speed at which he travels. By the way, I am curious from where did you get  or rather  how did you calculate the speed with which Santa should travel in order to cover the earth

Oh, I didn't do the math myself (I generally suck at the subject, so....), but I do want to hold off on revealing my actual source until the finished fic, since it's a got a fun not-Good-Doctor-related bonus ;) 

1 hour ago, kireeti2 said:

I know that I was the one who forced your hand to reveal the reason behind why Si-On should not be the one to be talking about or explaining about fairy tales to kids and here I am nitpicking the details

Don't worry about "forcing my hand" - I came across those numbers by myself and actually wrote the entire scene with this conclusion in mind :P 

But, hey, at least Park Si On now recognizes that he should keep these explanations for adults only :lol: I'm not sure how well it'd help Cha Yoon Seo sleep at night now, but...points for effort.

Switching gears for a bit, here's some cute Park Jin Gyeom fanart. Okay, so it's technically JW, since the reference photo is from behind-the-scenes, but still :P 

Spoiler

Speaking of Alice, it's recently come to my attention that prior to starring in Alice, Kwak Si Yang actually played a police detective in Welcome 2 Life, which is yet another drama about parallel universes, alternate realities, etc. The reason why I'm bringing this up is I happened to catch a glimpse of what he looked like in-character, and....

bc794dd6e0b0487188ca5c20c4a36ec5.jpeg?s=

Ya...talk about a "family resemblance". Clearly, the Alice casting crew was on to something :glasses:

JW's agency seems to be teasing some sort of Christmas greeting - Do you guys think that's JW they're keeping under wraps?

• Like 2
13 hours ago, kittyna said:

I'm not sure how well it'd help Cha Yoon Seo sleep at night now,

I think she will sleep just fine because Si-On is going to make-up for his mistake by dancing for her or making her laugh with his actions which are supposed to be his way of apologizing but ends up like an act of comedy or he will search something on internet,  there are so many possibilities  :lol:

The reason why I'm bringing this up is I happened to catch a glimpse of what he looked like in-character, and...

From this angle he looks like Park Jin Gyeom, casting team did an excellent job

I really don't have any artistic sense, by in this art he looks like an alien to me:sweat_smile: but kudos to the artist for her/his creativity :smile:

• Like 2
9 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

From this angle he looks like Park Jin Gyeom, casting team did an excellent job

Not to mention the stylist team in both productions (Welcome 2 Life and Alice). I do get that part of it is the standard costuming for detective characters in K-dramas in general, but with some individual clothing items that really do look like Jin Gyeom's, it all adds up to something that, after watching Alice, feels rather bizarrely like yet another alternative reality - albeit by pure coincidence. Like, for example, if someone were to make the argument of Yoo Min Hyuk being a cop in the post-reset world in Alice's finale, this is what I'd imagine he'd look like ;) 

9 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

I really don't have any artistic sense, by in this art he looks like an alien to me:sweat_smile: but kudos to the artist for her/his creativity

Okay, to be fair, JW sometimes ends up looking like an alien, period :lol: But I get you. Personally, I prefer JW fanart that's in a cute or chibi style, but I also just generally like seeing what artists come up with.

Behind-the-scenes shots from JW's DAZED photo shoot

Quick Alice fanart

Finally, you guys remember this cute puppy?

42-%EC%BB%B7.jpg?type=w1200

Well, JW's agency made something of an appreciation post for it.

And, at least for now, it looks like the SBS Drama Awards are still on. Mind you, I think it's still liable to change - since illness has no calendar and Korea's definitely in its worst COVID-19 wave to date right now (c. 1,000 cases a day) - but for now, it's happening. My hope is that they have some sort of contingency plan that allows awards to be given remotely (rather than the unspoken rule that you can't get an award if you don't show up), though: because I do think that it might be in JW and the Ghost team's best interests if he doesn't go in person.

• Like 2

So right now, I'm still waiting on updates re: SBS's Drama Awards: regardless of whether it happens in person or virtually, I am eagerly anticipating the official nominations list once it comes out.

However, in the meantime, I actually want to revisit something that @kireeti2, @flutterby06 and I did together back in the fall: sorting JW drama characters into Hogwarts Houses.

(In case anyone needs a refresher, here are the lists we each put together at the time: kireeti2'sflutterby06's, and mine.)

Basically, I stumbled across a series of videos on YouTube that really explained and analyzed all four houses in detail (shown in "Spoilers" below for your reference and viewing pleasure), and after working my way through them, I wound up rethinking some of the characters in my own list, as well as mentally sorting some of the second lead/supporting characters I hadn't had good answers for before.

Spoiler

So, without further ado, my updated Sorting Hat Challenge list (asterisks next to changes, new additions, etc)!

Gryffindor 

*Baek Ja Eun (she's got a certain spunk to her personality that I hadn't accounted for the first time)

Oh Mok Dan

*Han Gil Ro

Cha Yoon Seo

Hye Myung

Park Jin Gyeom (the good one)

Kim Do Yeon

Hufflepuff 

Kim Tak Gu

*Yang Mi Sun (no wonder she and Tak Gu completely hit it off by the end ;))

*Hwang Tae Hui (lol - you guys converted me :P. You were right in saying this was more in line with his personality and values.)

*Kimura Shunji (going with this explanation I had earlier, where the Hat wanted to put him in Slytherin but he refused - which is why, when he does go dark, it's a huge general "What the ****???" moment)

Park Si On (can we just say that he is pretty much the poster child for this house?)

Seol Nae Il (albeit with strong Ravenclaw undertones - she'd be like the Hufflepuff version of Luna Lovegood ;))

*Lee Yoon Hoo (he's a tough one to pin down, to be honest, but his desire to break away from an uber-competitive world to a simpler and kinder one really resonates here)

*Kim Tae Hyun (even though his choices aren't always in line with the law or societal views of right/wrong, he's definitely got a strong set moral values that informs just about everything he does)

*Kang Joon Young (he's a warrior, but above all else, he's an honourable one)

Yoon Tae Yi (2050)/Park Sun Young

Ravenclaw 

*Kim Seo Won (moving her here for her resourcefulness and quick wits)

*Kim Do Han

Cha Yoo Jin (probably with Hufflepuff undertones - in contrast with his father, who I envision would either be Ravenclaw with Slytherin undertones...or just plain Slytherin :P Hm...another black sheep scenario, perhaps?)

Gyun Woo

Yoon Tae Yi (2020)

*Yoo Min Hyuk (with strong Hufflepuff undertones on account of his principles)

Slytherin 

Gu Ma Jun

Shin Yu Kyung 

Lee Kang To

*Chae Do Kyung

Han Yeo Jin 

*Han Do Joon (he'd be a crap one, to be honest, but I can see him being sorted here due to the family legacy and his own ambition)

*Lee Chae Young

*Jung Da Yeon

Some general observations:

• This turned out looking almost like a composite list, as I think it resolves a number of points where my previous version differed from the others'.
  • Considering just how many Slytherins are in the Han household...I kinda feel sorry for Kim Tae Hyun now :P He's got his work cut out for him, that's for sure
  • Actually, come to think of it, there are a ton of crazy character dynamics hidden underneath the surface here - not just with the Yong Pal characters
  • Most challenging character to sort: Seol Nae Il. I was constantly flipping back and forth between Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff this time around, and I still think she would be equally happy in either house.
  • I'm still kinda kicking myself for not really being able to think of a "good" Slytherin character - help???
  • Finally, last but not least, I'm starting to think that our JW is a Hufflepuff. Thoughts?
  • Like 1
  • Awesome 1
34 minutes ago, kittyna said:

I'm still kinda kicking myself for not really being able to think of a "good" Slytherin character - help???

How about Detective Go from "Alice"? His character was similar to the that of Prof. Severus Snape, minus the cold treatment towards the protagonist

36 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Finally, last but not least, I'm starting to think that our JW is a Hufflepuff. Thoughts?

Yup, I second your choice. Joo won does fit Hufflepuff House  and just like the House, he is also sort of underrated actor.

38 minutes ago, kittyna said:

*Kim Do Han

In my opinion, I would keep him in Slytherin House, given that how harsh he can be when he doesn't approve someone and can even get physical when he is not able to control his angry and top of that he does have rich family background to get into Slytherin

42 minutes ago, kittyna said:

Actually, come to think of it, there are a ton of crazy character dynamics hidden underneath the surface here - not just with the Yong Pal characters

That's the reason why Yong Pal was such a hit drama. Due to it's crazy characters and their dynamics. You can find lot of similarities with current drama "Pent House"(SBS), it managed to achieve second highest ratings after Dr.Romantic and it also has chance to get above 30% ratings if it continues same fast phase story line with twist and turns

• Like 2
7 hours ago, kireeti2 said:

How about Detective Go from "Alice"? His character was similar to the that of Prof. Severus Snape, minus the cold treatment towards the protagonist

Hm...that's one I would never have thought of, to be honest - mostly because, as you've pointed out, Captain Go is also a very warm and friendly person. Plus, I personally doubt a Slytherin would balk at a kill order (i.e. Park Sun Young) just because he feels bad that she's also a mother - because he knows her, maybe; for the sake of his wife's safety, definitely; but not in the way that events actually play out in the drama.

My focus this time around was on first/second leads, so I haven't given more clearly supporting characters much thought yet. However, if I were to think on that...I personally am leaning more towards Go Ahjussi as a Gryffindor or Hufflepuff (lol - complete opposite from where this started), but I'd also love to hear what @flutterby06 thinks on this.

(By the way, since we're on the subject, his wife's a definite Hufflepuff regardless.)

And, if we are including more supporting roles, then a possible candidate for a good/light Slytherin would be either Hwang Tae Beom or Hwang Tae Pil (or both). Somehow, I imagine that a good Slytherin would be something of a trickster: good at heart, but just a bit mischievous and chaotic, and I see that being true for either of those brothers :P 

In my opinion, I would keep him in Slytherin House, given that how harsh he can be when he doesn't approve someone and can even get physical when he is not able to control his angry and top of that he does have rich family background to get into Slytherin

Okay, this one makes more sense to me personally than Go Ahjussi ;) It didn't cross my mind at first to sort Kim Do Han into Slytherin, but I can definitely see your logic here. He does have the slight elitist attitude (I say "slight" because in the grand scheme of things, he's tame compared to a number of other high-ranking doctors in that hospital :P), and he's definitely big on the "tough love" approach for training his hoobaes (like, the simulated surgery exercises he does with Si On where everything that can go wrong does go wrong...dang!).

However, while Do Han does carry Slytherin's Machiavellian tendencies, he lacks the willingness to do anything (even unethical stuff) to achieve his goals that's also strongly associated with that house. So I feel like if the Sorting Hat were to try to put him there, he'd push back - and who knows how that set of negotiations will go. Again, @flutterby06, what do you think?

This does make me wonder about several other characters from Good Doctor, though - like Director Choi, Yoo Chae Kyung, the rest of the pediatrics team, etc. What do you guys think?

• Like 2

Save the date: JW will do a broadcast on VLive on December 24:Pandabulous:

In the meantime, with just under a week to go until Christmas, I'm curious: with the exceptions of My Sassy Girl and Gaksital (since Christmas wasn't a thing in Korea historically), what would our main JW drama guys and girls give each other for Christmas?

:Viki-Soompi-Winter-Gift-Emoji: :Viki-Soompi-Winter-Tree-Emoji::Viki-Soompi-Winter-Gift-Emoji:

No need to answer for everyone if you're not sure - I'm just curious.

• Like 2

Okay, so my last question/prompt didn't seem to have any takers :sweat_smile: That's okay - I was rather stuck for responses, too.

Work is still progressing on this year's Christmas Special, so be sure to stay tuned for that! :) In the meantime, since today is the Winter Solstice where I am (i.e. in the northern hemisphere), I decided to put together a quick Round Two of my Winter-themed Scattergories:

Spoiler

Scattergories: Snowy Winter Edition (Round Two)

There's really only one rule: for each prompt, just say which JW drama character comes first to mind.

As always, repeats are allowed; and, as always, pay attention for if I'm asking for a guy, a girl, or a couple

Good luck - and have fun! :Pandabulous:

1. The JW drama girl most likely to say winter is her favourite season (Bonus question: why is it her favourite?)

2. Conversely, the JW drama girl most likely to hate the cold weather (Bonus question: why?)

3. The JW drama couple most likely to spend an afternoon building a snowman (Bonus question: whose scarf will they use?)

4. The JW drama guy most likely to enjoy a Starbucks holiday specialty drink. (Bonus question: would he pick a coffee, tea, or chocolate-based drink?)

5. The JW drama girl most likely to have a massive collection of cute winter accessories (hats, scarves, mittens, etc.)

6. The JW drama couple most likely to travel to someplace tropical during the winter (Bonus question: where would they go?)

7. The JW drama couple most likely to constantly bicker over how high the thermostat should go because one hates being too cold and the other hates being too hot (Bonus question: which is which?)

8. The JW drama guy most likely to get overly/unnecessarily concerned about whether his girlfriend/partner is dressed warmly enough (i.e. she's actually perfectly comfortable, but he's still making a fuss :P)

9. The JW drama girl who'd already start preparing for Christmas when it's still November

10. The JW drama guy most likely to enjoy going out for a long solo walk when it's snowing outside

• Like 1
  • Awesome 1

Okay, so my last question/prompt didn't seem to have any takers :sweat_smile: That's okay - I was rather stuck for responses, too.

Yeah, about the answers for your question, I had to do a research about the importance of Christmas in Korea, since the dramas you have chosen are sort of tricky to answer. Like, you have already mentioned Christmas was not celebrated during until 18th century and Christmas was banned under Japanese occupation of Korea. So, I doubt either of the leads or side characters know about the Christmas from these two dramas let alone celebrate or exchange gifts on Christmas Eve

1. The JW drama girl most likely to say winter is her favourite season (Bonus question: why is it her favourite?)

Nae-il, I am choosing her because I am assuming that Nae-Il and Cha Yoo Jin will be spending most of their time in Europe and Christmas is major festival in this region. Even though Nae-Il  sort of celebrated Christmas back in Korea, but in Europe it is celebrated in a grand way which makes Winter as Nae-Il favorite season. And also, she would get to spend lot of time with Cha Yoo Jin and share a blank with him because of unprecedented dropping temperatures(As you guys can realize from reading my response, that I have initially though that it was "Why Christmas as her favorite" instead of "Winter":sweat_smile:)

2. Conversely, the JW drama girl most likely to hate the cold weather (Bonus question: why?)

Mok Dan: Same reason as I have given for Lee Kang To. Like, in winter her people would have shortage of blankets and her whole country is under colonization sort of makes things difficult in the seasons like winter, where it is hard to find work, which makes the underprivileged hard to gain access to food and warm clothing.

3. The JW drama couple most likely to spend an afternoon building a snowman (Bonus question: whose scarf will they use?)

Well, I am going with the an unconventional answer. I would choose Yoon Tae-Yi/Park Jin-Gyeom/Kim Do Yeon. I know couple means two, but these three have this incredible chemistry that it makes me feel like these three as two. Like, Park Jin Gyeom is almost invisible whenever these three meet for any task. So, these three would make two snowman and ask Park Jin-Gyeom to tie a scarf  to a snowman which he thinks is the best. So, in the end Park Jin-Gyeom would eventually choose Kim Do-Yeon's snowman for the reason that Yoon Tae-Yi lacks artistic skills and Kim Do Yeon is making snowman since she was a teenager (and why my answer feels like a  fan fiction :sweat_smile:) P.S Park Jin-Gyeom is going use his mother's scarf from the past which should cool Yoon Tae-Yi for not choosing hers

4. The JW drama guy most likely to enjoy a Starbucks holiday specialty drink. (Bonus question: would he pick a coffee, tea, or chocolate-based drink?)

Park Si-On, as we know he has  knack for trying new food and come to think of it we does eats lot of food for a guy who says "I can live on Kimbap" . And he would probably choose Chocolate-based drink

5. The JW drama girl most likely to have a massive collection of cute winter accessories (hats, scarves, mittens, etc.)

Baek Ja-Eun, she probably make this massive collection herself rather than buying it and I think the reason for these collection is because her family has three kids and need lot of winter wear to keep them warm

6. The JW drama couple most likely to travel to someplace tropical during the winter (Bonus question: where would they go?)

Han Gil-Ro and Kim Seo Won, I think these two would deliberately choose an assignment in tropical region, so that can have a good time. I think they would most probably go to Indonesia or Hawaii

7. The JW drama couple most likely to constantly bicker over how high the thermostat should go because one hates being too cold and the other hates being too hot (Bonus question: which is which?)

Han Gil-Ro and Kim Seo-Won, Kim Seo-Won wants the temperature to be at optimum that is not too hot and Han Gil Ro hates even a bit of cold

8. The JW drama guy most likely to get overly/unnecessarily concerned about whether his girlfriend/partner is dressed warmly enough (i.e. she's actually perfectly comfortable, but he's still making a fuss :P)

Nae-Il and Cha Yoo-Jin or Han Yeo-Jin and Kim Tae Hyun. So, it is self-explanatory for the former choice, but the latter one needs a bit explanation, since Han Yeon-Jin went through a difficult surgical procedure and her immune system can take a hit even if she gets flu, which makes Kim Tae-Hyun 24*7 job to look after her and see whether she is wearing warm clothes or not and will not nagging until she is dressed properly, and on top of that he will make his body guard to run from pillar to post to bring more warm clothing for Han Yeo-Jin

9. The JW drama girl who'd already start preparing for Christmas when it's still November

Nae-il, I can't think of any explanation

10. The JW drama guy most likely to enjoy going out for a long solo walk when it's snowing outside

Park Jin-Gyeom.

• Like 2
35 minutes ago, kireeti2 said:

Yeah, about the answers for your question, I had to do a research about the importance of Christmas in Korea, since the dramas you have chosen are sort of tricky to answer. Like, you have already mentioned Christmas was not celebrated during until 18th century and Christmas was banned under Japanese occupation of Korea. So, I doubt either of the leads or side characters know about the Christmas from these two dramas let alone celebrate or exchange gifts on Christmas Eve

Ah - I meant except for those two, but that makes sense. Maybe I didn't phrase it clearly enough :P 

So far, I'm not sure for some of the couples, but there are a few I'd have reasonable guesses for:

Hwang Tae Hui + Baek Ja Eun - Ja Eun would most likely make something for Tae Hui that's both cute/sentimental and useful: a custom-designed phone holder/ring or something like that. Not sure about what Tae Hui would give her, though.

Han Gil Ro + Kim Seo Won - Gil Ro would probably give Seo Won some sort of electronic or high-tech device, since he generally prefers using those himself and she doesn't have many. As for Seo Won...I think Gil Ro would want her to give him something to add to his Gundam collection (:P), but she'd actually give a more practical gift instead.

Park Si On + Cha Yoon Seo - You'd know from my fics that I'm pretty big on the sentimental gifts for this pair. Mostly, it's because I think Si On would struggle to express his feelings for Yoon Seo verbally, so he'd resort to some sort of small, heartfelt present. I could also see both of them being open to gifts that involve some sort of inside joke relating to medicine ;) 

Cha Yoo Jin + Seol Nae Il - Obviously, both are open to music-related stuff :P But aside from that...I think they're both people who value the thought behind the present more than what the actual thing is itself. So, for instance, in Seolleim in Salzburg, there's a running reference to a necklace that I imagine Yoo Jin gave Nae Il for Christmas, and it's something she's worn in all her performances since.

Hope that clears things up - any thoughts on these or other couples?

Moving on to reactions to your Scattergories responses :) 

And also, she would get to spend lot of time with Cha Yoo Jin and share a blank with him because of unprecedented dropping temperatures

lol - Okay, now you're just giving me ideas :P 

Well, I am going with the an unconventional answer. I would choose Yoon Tae-Yi/Park Jin-Gyeom/Kim Do Yeon. I know couple means two, but these three have this incredible chemistry that it makes me feel like these three as two. Like, Park Jin Gyeom is almost invisible whenever these three meet for any task. So, these three would make two snowman and ask Park Jin-Gyeom to tie a scarf  to a snowman which he thinks is the best. So, in the end Park Jin-Gyeom would eventually choose Kim Do-Yeon's snowman for the reason that Yoon Tae-Yi lacks artistic skills and Kim Do Yeon is making snowman since she was a teenager (and why my answer feels like a  fan fiction :sweat_smile:) P.S Park Jin-Gyeom is going use his mother's scarf from the past which should cool Yoon Tae-Yi for not choosing hers

I gotta say it: this scenario is so freaking CUTE!!! :fullofhearts:

Baek Ja-Eun, she probably make this massive collection herself rather than buying it and I think the reason for these collection is because her family has three kids and need lot of winter wear to keep them warm

It took me a moment to figure out what you meant by "three kids", but now I'm just melting at the cuteness :) Yes, Ja Eun would be an awesome aunt, wouldn't she?

the latter one needs a bit explanation, since Han Yeon-Jin went through a difficult surgical procedure and her immune system can take a hit even if she gets flu, which makes Kim Tae-Hyun 24*7 job to look after her and see whether she is wearing warm clothes or not and will not nagging until she is dressed properly, and on top of that he will make his body guard to run from pillar to post to bring more warm clothing for Han Yeo-Jin

:loolz: Poor Sang Chul! Between Tae Hyun and Yeo Jin, he's just gonna end up running around in circles, isn't he :P 

• Like 2
  • partyon changed the title to Joo Won 주원 [Upcoming Movie "Carter" 2021]